• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Basically I'm sliding together pieces of a puzzle in a way that makes the most sense to me.
Fatman, do you realize what you just did? you just confirmed that Tetris block is gonna be a playable character, dammit i knew we would get a spirit promotion but not one so unexpected

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Like I said, memory is balls. I do remember seeing some similar stuff though regarding it being shown off as "modding this is currently not possible" and modders basically saying CM was very likely legit because of it, or it's some new modeling technique not yet known to everyone else (which just seems so unlikely).

But yeah, that emoji face thing is obviously fake for all the reasons posted 1-2 pages ago.
The argument people made at the time was that it was really hard if not impossible to mod in a custom Mii hat that isn't a full helmet because, at the time, there weren't any Mii Costume mods for Ultimate like that to compare it to. Of course that was disproven shortly after, but through that we found out some interesting details regarding Ultimate modding. For example, if the file size of the custom model you were modding in was greater than what you were replacing, the game would crash, which really limited what people could do and resulted in lower definition mods overall.
Also, the guy who made the custom Mallow Hat mod explained in this tweet chain that it wasn't the model that was necessarily the thing that was ballooning the filesize, but rather the textures. An interesting detail to keep in mind when it comes to the CacoMallow hats...

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
No because this is just my own speculation. Yes, it's based on insider information but it's still predictions. No one is outright telling me these names as full on happening without a doubt. Leaks are objective, speculation is subjective. I'm not pretending to not know. Basically I'm sliding together pieces of a puzzle in a way that makes the most sense to me.
PapaGenos in the distance: “Does this hint at ARLE?!?”

axel_

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 261810

I was the reviving the moment of Banjo and seeing how it feels when we get Geno soon. That was the the closest feeling I guess. Cause everyone can expect Sonic, Mega Man (cause being gaming icons; or even Ridley and KKR (cause being from Nintendo). But getting Banjo was like a dream come true after that many years since N64, being from a Third Party, a solid pick in every aspect and the fan love. Well, same goes for Geno and even an older one! Being from the Snes era (1996) and having only one game when he is playable.

Go to Banjo’s thread on page 643 and revive that feeling when the thread was from being speculation to confirmation. It’s amazing, Geno will be monumental, and even better for us. The puppet is coming, Geno awakens!
That first one made me make this. When Geno gets revealed, please post this everywhere you can (especially /v/ and PapaGenos' server.)

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Come on Nintendo, do the right thing...
Yeah Nintendo, do the right thing that will get you tons of money. Add a long-time requested character that isn't a human, is completely unique, and even people who have no idea will go "woah, who is that guy?!".

Legit, if we got more non-human characters that looked really interesting but I had no idea who they were, I'd be pretty stoked. Sadly, 80% of FP1 were humans, some of them relatively regular guys with some magic, weaponry, or martial arts.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Sadly, 80% of FP1 were humans, some of them relatively regular guys with some magic, weaponry, or martial arts
Magic, Weaponry, martial arts?!

Pretty sure you just defined Ultimate Ganondorf...

...And like, a majority of the cast.

Honestly, I do not find this to be an issue. Sure, I'm sure you want more of what I call the "Mascot" characters (the short, stubby guys with big heads, hands, and feet, and are either humanoid or anthropomorphic: Mario, Mega Man, Sonic, Crash, Pac-Man, Geno, Mickey Mouse, etc), but the Mascot characters aren't what make up the majority of famous video game characters in general.

I honestly find it refreshing to see human characters make it to Smash, since it had so few in its early days. But I'm not asking for the human characters because they're humans; I'm asking for certain human characters because the characters I want tend to be human. For instance, I want Dante.

However, if we need another Mascot character, while I wouldn't mind Crash at all, it's Geno who I feel deserves the spot after so long. But not because he's a Mascot type, but because he's the one I want in most. (For me, Geno is like a 9.9 want whereas Dante is like a 9.8... Waluigi is like a 9.5 want.)

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Apprentice
However, if we need another Mascot character, while I wouldn't mind Crash at all, it's Geno who I feel deserves the spot after so long. But not because he's a Mascot type, but because he's the one I want in most. (For me, Geno is like a 9.9 want whereas Dante is like a 9.8...
Uh, I'm rooting for Geno as much as the next guy here, but I don't think he can really be considered a "mascot".

QQS

Smash Lord
What if they don’t wanna go on the classical obvious tag lines (Geno awakens, Geno shoots for the stars, Geno stars in, Geno comes to life, etc) and they do a little company name-game, like “Banjo & Kazooie are Raring to go”.

I thought: “Geno Squares soft!”.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Honestly, I do not find this to be an issue. Sure, I'm sure you want more of what I call the "Mascot" characters (the short, stubby guys with big heads, hands, and feet, and are either humanoid or anthropomorphic: Mario, Mega Man, Sonic, Crash, Pac-Man, Geno, Mickey Mouse, etc), but the Mascot characters aren't what make up the majority of famous video game characters in general.

I honestly find it refreshing to see human characters make it to Smash, since it had so few in its early days. But I'm not asking for the human characters because they're humans; I'm asking for certain human characters because the characters I want tend to be human. For instance, I want Dante.
Eh, it's more or less like "oh neat, another martial artist human" (Terry), "oh neat, another weapon-user/FE character" (Byleth) when you don't recognize or care about them. I guess what I'm asking for is more unique characters, and in a sea of tons of humans who just "use weapon" or "use gimmick", a lot of them are 1-dimensional.

For the record, I am *NOT* complaining about how they play, just talking about that "wow" factor in seeing a character for the first time. In seeing Geno, you see a doll possessed by a spirit who uses bullets that are fired from his fingers. He also can use magic, literally transform his arms into better guns/other weaponry (like rocket punches), or transform his ENTIRE BEING INTO A MOTHER !@#$ING CANNON. Seeing that kind of character for the first time, you think "WOW, that's something really unique! I wanna know more!" over someone like Byleth who is literally "FE character who uses weapons", which describes every FE character/half of Robin and Corrin, or "human who does martial arts", which is now Ryu, Ken, and Terry. Ganondorf actually decently unique, using punches, a big ****-off sword, and dark magic. Banjo's literally a bear who uses a BIRD AS WEAPONRY (whether that's spitting/pooping eggs or literally using the bird as a blunt weapon).

It's not a major argument for sure, but it's still a point in having characters that bring attention to them to make them as appealing as possible to those who have no idea who they are. As much as I don't want Sora in the game, I can't help but say he'd be in a similar case (albeit nowhere near as close as Geno) of being unique. Yeah he's got a "sword" but he also uses magic, summons, and a slew of other things (though it'd depend on how Sakurai designed him). MC might be super popular but he's basically "male Metroid (Samus) with more firepower and less powers".

Idk, it might be worth them looking into, especially if they bring back any other characters from long ago/obscurity, especially if they're looking at stuff like Blazblue or Touhou characters (vast majority of Western gamers have never even heard of those series): Consider picking the unique ones that would make people really like them, so you don't have another Byleth or even Terry on your hands.

PS: Even some characters I want go against this paragraph, and that's totally okay. Lloyd would be cool and play well, but he'd be "just another human swordsman", just with two swords instead of one. Phoenix Wright would be "some lawyer human", Advance Wars rep would be "some military humans". It's totally fine to want non-unique characters, I just wish they'd pick a few more unique ones to get people hooked on them even if they have no idea who they are, especially if they aren't frequently requested, are very old, or obscure as heck.

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
So I know we're mostly expecting Geno to be FP7, #77, E3 extravaganza reveal.

But if were were to be FP6 and revealed in the whenever-the-knick-knack-it's-happening Early Year Direct, how would you react to possibly having him to play by April?

Specifically for Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , if against all perceived fan notions Geno is FP6 and is the reveal in the Direct instead of at E3, how does that shift your theories on reveal timelines under that hypothetical? Does it put Waluigi in a weird spot in your eyes?

QQS

Smash Lord

But if were were to be FP6 and revealed in the whenever-the-knick-knack-it's-happening Early Year Direct, how would you react to possibly having him to play by April?

In terms of number I would love to see Geno being #77, but at the end and what’s more important, I wouldn’t mind at all if he is the first chosen one to open the FP2 and be #76 getting revealed in February-March. But for me it’s happening either now or at E3. Geno fits perfect for a Direct reveal or for an E3 reveal. There isn’t a pattern there I think. Anyway, what would make a huge international impact probably would be Crash, so I don’t mind have Geno earlier than I expect

Specifically for Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , if against all perceived fan notions Geno is FP6 and is the reveal in the Direct instead of at E3, how does that shift your theories on reveal timelines under that hypothetical? Does it put Waluigi in a weird spot in your eyes?

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Eh, it's more or less like "oh neat, another martial artist human" (Terry), "oh neat, another weapon-user/FE character" (Byleth) when you don't recognize or care about them. I guess what I'm asking for is more unique characters, and in a sea of tons of humans who just "use weapon" or "use gimmick", a lot of them are 1-dimensional.

For the record, I am *NOT* complaining about how they play, just talking about that "wow" factor in seeing a character for the first time. In seeing Geno, you see a doll possessed by a spirit who uses bullets that are fired from his fingers. He also can use magic, literally transform his arms into better guns/other weaponry (like rocket punches), or transform his ENTIRE BEING INTO A MOTHER !@#$ING CANNON. Seeing that kind of character for the first time, you think "WOW, that's something really unique! I wanna know more!" over someone like Byleth who is literally "FE character who uses weapons", which describes every FE character/half of Robin and Corrin, or "human who does martial arts", which is now Ryu, Ken, and Terry. Ganondorf actually decently unique, using punches, a big ****-off sword, and dark magic. Banjo's literally a bear who uses a BIRD AS WEAPONRY (whether that's spitting/pooping eggs or literally using the bird as a blunt weapon).

It's not a major argument for sure, but it's still a point in having characters that bring attention to them to make them as appealing as possible to those who have no idea who they are. As much as I don't want Sora in the game, I can't help but say he'd be in a similar case (albeit nowhere near as close as Geno) of being unique. Yeah he's got a "sword" but he also uses magic, summons, and a slew of other things (though it'd depend on how Sakurai designed him). MC might be super popular but he's basically "male Metroid (Samus) with more firepower and less powers".

Idk, it might be worth them looking into, especially if they bring back any other characters from long ago/obscurity, especially if they're looking at stuff like Blazblue or Touhou characters (vast majority of Western gamers have never even heard of those series): Consider picking the unique ones that would make people really like them, so you don't have another Byleth or even Terry on your hands.

PS: Even some characters I want go against this paragraph, and that's totally okay. Lloyd would be cool and play well, but he'd be "just another human swordsman", just with two swords instead of one. Phoenix Wright would be "some lawyer human", Advance Wars rep would be "some military humans". It's totally fine to want non-unique characters, I just wish they'd pick a few more unique ones to get people hooked on them even if they have no idea who they are, especially if they aren't frequently requested, are very old, or obscure as heck.

Are we really saying that being human or humanoid is something to complain about in terms of uniqueness?

Jesus, we really are spoiled, aren't we?

Now maybe I'M the one in the wrong here, but I see each character as a unique character, even echoes. I think the only exception would be Daisy as, unless something has changed, she is literally Peach in all forms of gameplay outside of design. Literally she is only different in aesthetics.

I am someone who argues that Lucina is a completely unique character to Marth even though very little was done to change her, because what changes were done make her gameplay different. I guess I just have lower standards for something being considered unique or different...or, you know, most of the Smash fandom likes to overly generalize things.

Fun opinion: Gameplay matters more than aesthetics. It doesn't matter if Geno gets in if you don't enjoy playing him. Sure, we may all freak out for a long ass time, but what about once we get our hands on him? What happens if you don't like how plays on a fundamental level? Will you continue to play as a character you dislike playing just because they happen to be a character you like aesthetically?

Thus, to me, I couldn't give a rat's ass who we get overall. I don't care if we get more Fire Emblem or more swordfighters or maybe other shill picks like Pokemon from Sword and Shield, because their gameplay and unique mechanics means more to me than the character. At early face value I was let down a small but by Byleth, but now I can't wait to drag people into the depths of the blast zone just because they wanted to spike me and I felt like recovering.

Also, anything can be made to be like something else when you generalize it enough. It's just like anything can be meaningful if you force it to be.

Brad Pitt is just 'another rich guy.'
The most delectable meal at a 6-Star restaurant is 'just a plate of food.'
The Joker is 'just another comic book villain.'
Smashboards is 'just another website on the internet.'
Smash Ultimate is 'just another video game.'

Do you see the problem with this mentality? You are throwing away all nuance with a blanket statement to make it fit a narrative. Clearly, there is more to it than what you are trying to let on, but literally anything can be dumbed down to the biggest generalization...but I'm sure you understand the folly in such an action.

You can not want a character, and the reason doesn't have to be objectively sound as it's about how you feel, but this is a bit much.

Something something 'Don't judge a book by it's cover.' something something 'More to them than meets the eye...' something something 'Walk a mile in their shoes.' something something I think my point has been made. If you write off a new character just based on their first presentation and never give them a chance you are not giving the character nor yourself a fair chance.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Now maybe I'M the one in the wrong here, but I see each character as a unique character, even echoes.
I think the only exception would be Daisy as, unless something has changed, she is literally Peach in all forms of gameplay outside of design. Literally she is only different in aesthetics.
I don't see how you can claim every character is unique, and then go "well Daisy isn't, but I'm only talking mechanically". It's funny because I'm talking about pretty much everything besides mechanical uniqueness, but if you want to get into that too, then how can you say Lucina is "unique" from Marth? Sure there are some differences, but the whole point of echoes is that they aren't unique from their non-echo character.

Are we really saying that being human or humanoid is something to complain about in terms of uniqueness?
Just a reminder that I said this was a minor point, but it's still something to consider. Something like "Armored man with guns" or "Sword-wielder" looks worse to people who don't know the character than "doll who uses bullets, magic, and transformations" or "Human teenager(?) with a knife, gun, magic, and whatever-the-hell-personas-are (I obviously haven't played Persona yet)". Look at it from the minds of people who literally do not know the character. They see someone like Lucina or Marth #6 and think "Oh boy, here comes yet another sword-user" or if we got Urshifu, it'd be "Martial artist, but now it's a bear".

By no means are humans/humanoids all non-unique. I mean hell I did just use Joker as an example of someone more unique, didn't I?

Do you see the problem with this mentality? You are throwing away all nuance with a blanket statement to make it fit a narrative. Clearly, there is more to it than what you are trying to let on, but literally anything can be dumbed down to the biggest generalization...but I'm sure you understand the folly in such an action.
Because as I've said numerous times, I'm just awful with trying to get my point across. Again, minor point, but there are people who look at characters like Byleth and they're like "oh boy, another weapon user". There will be people who look at Master Chief as "Samus+Snake", I guarantee it. I'm just saying that hopefully some of the picks are more unique if they're obscure to avoid stuff like this to people who don't know some of those lesser-known characters. I mean hell, even Sakurai himself says there's too many swordsmen, so if you get an obscure as hell sword-user from some game not many people know about, what do you think is going to be their immediate response?

You can not want a character, and the reason doesn't have to be objectively sound as it's about how you feel, but this is a bit much.
This wasn't even about my own wants/not wants. I want a few "typical people" like Phoenix and Lloyd. I also want some uniques like Geno. I'm just saying that if they're gonna pick some more obscure picks, it'd be nice to see things as weird or out there as Geno because that's also a character that if people don't know, they'd want to get to know. That was my point. Doubly so if the character is also a blank canvas, mostly/completely silent protag since good personalities can definitely shine through a bit better as well. Even if Byleth wasn't from FE, I'd guarantee people would have still been relatively unhappy with them. Terry was met with rather mixed results, so someone with no personality and primarily wielding a sword? Byleth would still be nearly as hated as they are now, just without the FE tag on top of it.

Something something 'Don't judge a book by it's cover.' something something 'More to them than meets the eye...' something something 'Walk a mile in their shoes.' something something I think my point has been made. If you write off a new character just based on their first presentation and never give them a chance you are not giving the character nor yourself a fair chance.
That's not what I'm necessarily doing, but rather, a large portion of people have been talking about, and again, Sakurai himself says "too many swordsmen". I'm more than aware that those are over-generalizations and by no means am I saying something like "all swordsmen are not unique", nor am I saying "Master Chief wouldn't be unique if added in".

PS: This is the kind of stuff I think about when there's nothing else to talk about. Nearly every topic has been talked about to hell and back, so I figured "hey, let's try this new thing even if it backfires a bit", just to keep the posts flowing as we go insane from drought.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

If Geno really was 6, I'd probably just switch Waluigi to 7. Basically I'm pretty stuck on my order and characters unless significant evidence comes up to the contrary. This is why I've outright dropped Ryu and Dragonborn from my predictions, for example. Since December, more and more stuff has come up that Ryu is not only flat out not in but was probably just a misunderstanding about Byleth the whole time. As for Dragonborn, Ubisoft getting costumes without a playable rep more or less sealed for me that other big companies could get Mii costumes too without a fighter. Given Bethesda is a baby Nintendo ally, there's really no reason to give them special treatment if Nintendo has already "lol, noped" bigg'uns like Ubisoft and Arc Systems that have been partners for decades.

In other news, Nintendo's now dropping the hammer on sites they believe aided in the Sword and Shield leaks:

https://www.vg247.com/2020/02/11/ni...-leaker-caught/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Last edited:

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
My reactions to the characters:
Ridley: YES!!!
Simon and Richter: Awesome!
Dark Samus: *incomprehensible screaming*
Chrom: Why do we have 3 Awakening reps?
K. Rool: THIS GAME IS AMAZING!
Isabelle: Cool.
Ken: MY STREET FIGHTER MAIN IS IN SMASH! WAS THE GRINCH LEAK REAL!
Incineroar: No. It wasn't.
Pirhana Plant: You have to be f***ing kidding me.
Joker: *incomprehensible screaming*
Hero: Damn it, i thought it was gonna be Geno.
Banjo: *incomprehensible screaming*
Terry: YES! GIVE ME ALL THE FIGHTING GAME REPS SAKURAI!
Byleth: Eh, whatever. Better than Corrin.
My reaction to fan characters in ultimate:
happy ;D.jpg

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I am hoping for a character like Waluigi (Granted Geno is my first choice, but probably not yet.) to open the doors for possiblities for the rest of the Pass like Joker did ... then I have dark thoughts like this at the direct:

"You can look forward to play as 'Summoner' from the very popular mobile platform Fire Emblem Heroes! This will give you a taste of what this Fighter's Pass will bring!"

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I can def see this perspective being very profitable as well. It's just for me personally, my immediate reaction when I see something like Pirahna Plant, another FE character...another Pokemon....even R.O.B... I just think its silly. Like beyond silly.. However, I admire that about Smash at the same time. It is nice to play a fighter that isn't as serious and in your face as say someone from Killer Instinct or Mortal Kombat. Smash has always been bittersweet at it's core.

Speaking of bittersweet. That is EXACTLY how it felt when Geno and K. Rool got Mii costumes in Sm4sh. It makes you feel like it's GAME OVER MAN....until next time anyway? And here we are.
The only time I was excited for a Mii costume is when Goemon got one in Banjo & Kazooie's pack. He is my most wanted character and he is so obscure in the west that I never thought in million years he would make any kind of appearance in Smash let alone as a Mii costume. seeing that Goemon costume gave me deep tears of joy because now I know he has his foot in the door and he isn't pipedream anymore. The costume gives me great hope he will actually make it into the roster someday.

Credit to ActualGarbage (dunno how to link to people, sorry guys).
To link people, just put @ together with the person's username you want to respond too like this ActualGarbage ActualGarbage .

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
More possible evidence we're getting a Direct this week. Nintendo of Europe horking a big upcoming Nintendo sale out of nowhere with Mario Maker 2 and Three Houses being some of the highlights:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...W74diijiZOqZNj_ah_rsd298OuCelgYreV0TAHjZs1Buk
Nintendo: 'Time for a surprise! We are announcing a sudden surprising Direct this week. Are you all surprised!?'

Insiders: 'No.'
Employees: 'No.'
Rumor Mills: 'No.'
GameExplain: 'No.'
Retailers: 'Nope.'
Fans: 'About time.'
Sakurai: 'No.'
Ned, from Accounting: 'No.'
Game Developers: 'What took you so long?'
Smash fans: 'Where the hell have you been!?'
Investors: 'No.'
YouTube channel: 'No.'
Sony: 'Well, duh.'
Doug Bowser: 'No.'
Actual Bowser: 'No.'
Microsoft: 'Hey, you happy with Banjo?'
Ge: 'No.'

That's the problem with hinting too much.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Are Directs announced at 7 AM Pacific time, though?
Someone on Twitter said this, "Directs are always announced at 11 PM Japanese Standard Time (JST) which depending if we have daylight saving time would be either 9 AM EST or 10 AM. Because it's DST right now a Direct would be announced at 9 AM. It's easier to memorize the JP time since Japan doesn't have DST "

OffBi

Smash Ace
Hold on fellas, we have one more hour until the possible announcement, let's wait a little more

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Last edited:

OffBi

Smash Ace
Nintendo: 'Time for a surprise! We are announcing a sudden surprising Direct this week. Are you all surprised!?'

Insiders: 'No.'
Employees: 'No.'
Rumor Mills: 'No.'
GameExplain: 'No.'
Retailers: 'Nope.'
Fans: 'About time.'
Sakurai: 'No.'
Ned, from Accounting: 'No.'
Game Developers: 'What took you so long?'
Smash fans: 'Where the hell have you been!?'
Investors: 'No.'
YouTube channel: 'No.'
Sony: 'Well, duh.'
Doug Bowser: 'No.'
Actual Bowser: 'No.'
Microsoft: 'Hey, you happy with Banjo?'
Ge: 'No.'

That's the problem with hinting too much.
Who tf is Ge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom