• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
So what do we think is the official cutoff for a direct this week? Isn't Wednesday night or something supposed to be the latest they usually go for an announcement?

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
So what do we think is the official cutoff for a direct this week? Isn't Wednesday night or something supposed to be the latest they usually go for an announcement?
they don't do Friday or weekend directs from what i remember, really anything besides Wednesday and Thursday. So if by 10am eastern tomorrow were still left waiting then it looks like we have another week to go.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
It's kind of irritating how people retroactively act like the Grinch leak had no compelling evidence and basis to it's legitamacy and that it was nothing more than a blurry image and anybody who believed it was dumb
People "found" evidence for it where they wanted to find it when it comes to "let¨s prove that it's real", stretching like Mr. Fantastic would go one round around the globe. It's understandable why people searched for proof & hope that it was real..... But Nintendo going radio silent for a month, with 7 more characters supposedly left.... while also giving knowledge out the remaining roster to companies when Nintendo knows that Smash fans thirst for leaks is not proof for it to not be real??? It was clearly fake from the beginning even if it's understandable why people hoped it was real.

PS- I never believed the grinch leak in the first place.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yeah, technically Wednesday night American Eastern is the absolute latest but the chances plunge if they miss the Tuesday morning window. Zippo said "something" was already planned for the 20th so hopefully that's the Animal Crossing Direct and not the General because almost a month delay definitely raises a ton of questions.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yeah, technically Wednesday night American Eastern is the absolute latest but the chances plunge if they miss the Tuesday morning window. Zippo said "something" was already planned for the 20th so hopefully that's the Animal Crossing Direct and not the General because almost a month delay definitely raises a ton of questions.
Wednesday night? What happened to Wednesday morning, may I ask?

Crankshadow

Smash Cadet
I think we are past the cutoff for a general direct. I could still see some other smaller news. If i recall last year we were doing the same thing and they had like little twitter bombs for a few weeks straight with Yoshi and such. We could still randomly get the SNES drop announced some evening. Then they could come out the same day as the direct, and they can slip one more game in the lineup that wasnt there before...leading to a familiar scene in Gaz's house and seeing an envelope fall out of a certain dolls hat.

D

Deleted member

Wednesday night? What happened to Wednesday morning, may I ask?
There is a very very slim chance they announce something at night but not even remotely likely. Directs are never announced at night. But, Terry’s presentation was announced at night.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
There is a very very slim chance they announce something at night but not even remotely likely. Directs are never announced at night. But, Terry’s presentation was announced at night.
Yeah, I know what you mean, but I am sure Smash DLC Character presentations are a different beast from Directs altogether.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Unrelated, I know but Fatmanonice Fatmanonice From one diehard Animal Crossing fan to another, You wanna try and play together when the game comes out? I know I may not see eye to eye with you sometimes but hell, Animal Crossing is a good time to set apart our differences and be friends
Sure. My wife is really into Animal Crossing too so she'll likely be playing it more than me once it comes out. Might have to buy her a Switch so we can play at the same time.

Firox

Smash Master
Might have to buy her a Switch so we can play at the same time.
Between situations like this and the piss poor method of playing with friends via Smash Ult's Arena mode, Nintendo is getting frighteningly adept at snagging those multi-household sales. It sucks hard for the consumer, but dang is it an edge over their competitors.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Sure. My wife is really into Animal Crossing too so she'll likely be playing it more than me once it co6ymes out. Might have to buy her a Switch so we can play at the same time.
My gf is the same way, she dropped off New Leaf and now shes planning on buying NH, Hopeful she gets to play also so she can join in

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
On a side note, I love how many outright Geno haters lurk that "Rate the character" thread. LOL at all the:

Geno

Chance: 0.0000000% Cuz Geno be old and irrelevant. He from a dead franchise with no future. No way anything like that would ever happen........ :ultbanjokazooie:

Want: 0.00000% I'm totally not bias but his little wooden body needs to get snapped to pieces and thrown in my fire place cuz I'm a personal friend of Sakurai's and have infinite knowledge of the dev team's activities and I know with 100% certainty that Mii costumes aren't developed until 5 minutes before their reveal, hence Cacomallow was just an elaborate hoax for which no one will take credit or successfully recreate. BOOM! My logic is undeniable. My sources? You don't need my sources....(waves hand in the air)....these aren't the droids your looking for....
Don't try to start drama between threads; if you see any ratings that are obviously trolling, report them.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
The wait for a Direct or whatever to talk about FP6 reminds me of the joke/saying with Nintendo's "staling":

"Then Satan said 'Let's put the alphabet in math.'"

EDIT: Love Nintendo and all, just the thought came up in my mind as we patiently, you know, suffer to wait.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Don't try to start drama between threads; if you see any ratings that are obviously trolling, report them.
Understood. Ironically though, I was hardly even exaggerating. There were literally people saying this stuff. But yeah, I'll drop it.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
As always, for those venturing to such threads, be respectful and do not engage the trolls. Just report and move on.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Still, we have next week to look forward to if not tomorrow for a Direct announcement. Next week is still before the 20th, which is the supposed Animal Crossing Direct, so hang in there. Whether Fighter Pass #6 is Geno or not, we still have to hold on.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Direct on February 29th:

'And now, to reveal Smash news. The first character of the second fighter pass is............currently being worked on, thank you.'

QQS

Smash Lord
I know Geno is coming. I see it. I feel it more than ever. But I’m anxious to see him announced soon, I hope they can announce Geno between February or March; rather than E3. I know Geno can perfectly be an E3 reveal, but I don’t care about the “big event of that day”, I just want to see his CGI trailer soon.

Of course see Geno at E3 would be nice, but i don’t complain if I see for example Geno between Feb-Mar; as #76. And then at E3 another character who makes a general impact in gaming, probably Crash. But now I have another problem, Would you think they prefer Geno to be #77 to fit the “challenger pack 7” or they don’t care about the game-numbers at all?
Probably with that logic, Doom or Hayabusa can be #76 next weeks; Geno #77 at E3; and Crash #78. But maybe they won’t repeal the double reveal they did at E3 2019 this time and only show one character. In that case, I think it’s convenient to show just Geno( fits perfectly fue to its history and demand) or just Crash.

Finally, at this point when I’m 100% confident Geno is coming, I’m just wondering how they will make it (the trailer, the screen-art, the moveset, music, sounds, spirits, etc). I do believe also that Mallow is coming somehow (maybe as part of Geno’s final Smash, like Mega Man does with his friends, maybe with a Taunt or maybe adding him as an Assist + costume). Anyway; Mallow will come in a way, somehow; to fullfil the MarioRPG cast in Ultimate. All playables & Mallow appearing a guest, somehow.

Im totally confident about that the Team & Sakurai will do the greatest job ever with this guy. Just look the amount of love and details Mega Man or Banjo received in all their forms.

Not only they are bringing back our beloved blue puppet; they are also honoring the relation that Square & Nintendo made decades ago, showing Square to the West with the Mario Universe. Also don’t forget that it’s unbelievable the amount of love, fan art, music, mods, and everything that Geno’s fans still produce and show love and respect.

In March we will be 24 years since MarioRPG and what a perfect way to celebrate with MarioRPG added to the Switch + Geno playable in Smash.

Wont ask for anything ever again after that. Just keeping my final weeks/months of patience until GENO WAKES UP!

Crankshadow

Smash Cadet
Arnt we due for a spirit event announcement tonight? Watch some front line contender get nuked from the star road tonight. Hoping they drop some tasty snes online Info soon, would really love to play some smrpg, without having to bust out my classic.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Arnt we due for a spirit event announcement tonight? Watch some front line contender get nuked from the star road tonight. Hoping they drop some tasty snes online Info soon, would really love to play some smrpg, without having to bust out my classic.
No, its probably a tourney tonight, Byleth still hasn't had theirs yet.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Direct on February 29th:

'And now, to reveal Smash news. The first character of the second fighter pass is............currently being worked on, thank you.'
I have a suspicion this is what will happen with a Smash reveal on a potential direct. What if instead of reveals out of nowhere, Sakurai AND Co just decided that we'll have Smash only directs from now on as a way to announce characters instead of randomly as it was in the past?

The possibility is there.

(We still may get the showcases. That' has become an appropriate standard but would that be it? Or could we get trailers just for regular directs?

:bowser:.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Okay, so you know how a lot of people have postulated that Byleth's reveal really seems like an Isabelle-style fakeout and more in line with something meant for a Direct than a surprise reveal? Well, if the Direct was delayed, I think we have evidence from the Presentation itself.

More specifically, when it was revealed live there was that opening speech before they played the trailer about how they were revealing the character blind. But after the presentation was over and the official video was uploaded, that opening speech is nowhere to be found anywhere. It completely vanished, only to be seen in full-presentation reaction videos.

I'm pretty sure Byleth wasn't planned to be revealed on his own, and that bit was recorded more recently and tacked onto the beginning of the livestream after Nintendo delayed the Direct. The fact that it's missing from the official presentation video is super suspect.

D

Deleted member

Just started listening to the Super. Mario RPG OST taking it and slow and loving the uplifting but dark theme of it. Makes you feel like your on a grand adventure but also knowing dark forces are afoot.

Also hopefully we get those directs soon I can wait.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Okay, so you know how a lot of people have postulated that Byleth's reveal really seems like an Isabelle-style fakeout and more in line with something meant for a Direct than a surprise reveal? Well, if the Direct was delayed, I think we have evidence from the Presentation itself.

More specifically, when it was revealed live there was that opening speech before they played the trailer about how they were revealing the character blind. But after the presentation was over and the official video was uploaded, that opening speech is nowhere to be found anywhere. It completely vanished, only to be seen in full-presentation reaction videos.

I'm pretty sure Byleth wasn't planned to be revealed on his own, and that bit was recorded more recently and tacked onto the beginning of the livestream after Nintendo delayed the Direct. The fact that it's missing from the official presentation video is super suspect.
A) There is something called timing that is planned in advance.
B) If they really needed to "delay" (there is nothing to indicate that they been forced to delay it, and the first big directs are in February/March anyway) , a direct to February, there was no need for them to release Byleth in January... The dates of the first DLC were until February 2020, not January 2020.
C) The trailer for 3Hs DLC released as on cue with the reveal

Sorry, but Byleth was always planned to be released now and not later

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
A) There is something called timing that is planned in advance.
B) If they really needed to "delay" (there is nothing to indicate that they been forced to delay it, and the first big directs are in February/March anyway) , a direct to February, there was no need for them to release Byleth in January... The dates of the first DLC were until February 2020, not January 2020.
C) The trailer for 3Hs DLC released as on cue with the reveal

Sorry, but Byleth was always planned to be released now and not later
Exactly my point, though. Byleth's release didn't change, the Direct's did. So they changed the presentation for Byleth to reveal him blind rather than already know who he was from the Direct, whether that same day or earlier in the week/month.

I'm not arguing that they changed Byleth's release in any way, just that the fact that that beginning portion of the livestream pre-trailer was completely nuked from the face of the earth suggests it was a more-recent addition to the presentation intended to segue into a blind reveal of FP5, which provides some credence to the idea that there was originally meant to be a Direct in January, and Byleth originally was meant to be revealed in it with a similar fakeout trailer like Isabelle, but it got delayed for reasons unknown which is why Byleth was revealed blind in the presentation instead.

And the 3H DLC could easily have been in the Direct as well, either being before or after Byleth and either way one being a segue into the other like with Isabelle and Animal Crossing.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Exactly my point, though. Byleth's release didn't change, the Direct's did. So they changed the presentation for Byleth to reveal him blind rather than already know who he was from the Direct, whether that same day or earlier in the week/month.

I'm not arguing that they changed Byleth's release in any way, just that the fact that that beginning portion of the livestream pre-trailer was completely nuked from the face of the earth suggests it was a more-recent addition to the presentation intended to segue into a blind reveal of FP5, which provides some credence to the idea that there was originally meant to be a Direct in January, and Byleth originally was meant to be revealed in it with a similar fakeout trailer like Isabelle, but it got delayed for reasons unknown which is why Byleth was revealed blind in the presentation instead.

And the 3H DLC could easily have been in the Direct as well, either being before or after Byleth and either way one being a segue into the other like with Isabelle and Animal Crossing.
And the official proof of them delaying the direct is?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
To piggyback off this, this fanbase is disgustingly revisionist. Ridley? Obvious? K. Rool? A total lock. Box theory? Duh. Grinch? A complete farce. Both Hero and Banjo? Of COURSE Sakurai would do those.

Like nobody wants to acknowledge that each of these divided the entire community. You figure it out? Good for you. It's not like people were stupid for thinking any of these didn't go the way they thought it would. Geno is just gonna be another mark on the list.

/vent
Pre-inclusion:

"Ridley is too big!"

"K. Rool is unrelevant and would just be Bowser Echo."

"Banjo & Kazooie is unrelevant, owned by Microsoft, and would just be a Duck Hunt Echo."

After inclusion:

"Ridley looks so awesome! We have been waiting for years for this!"

"K. Rool is so unique! He is so awesome! I wanted him for years."

"Banjo & Kazooie is finally in and they're so unique."

Yep, they're revisionist alright.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Pre-inclusion:

"Ridley is too big!"

"K. Rool is unrelevant and would just be Bowser Echo."

"Banjo & Kazooie is unrelevant, owned by Microsoft, and would just be a Duck Hunt Echo."

After inclusion:

"Ridley looks so awesome! We have been waiting for years for this!"

"K. Rool is so unique! He is so awesome! I wanted him for years."

"Banjo & Kazooie is finally in and they're so unique."

Yep, they're revisionist alright.
Yeah, and I can SO see that happening with Geno too.

"Geno is just an irrelevant side character from a 20 year old game!"

Then after his reveal trailer:

"Geno's the coolest! About time, he deserves it so much."

Ah, some things never change... I wonder if that kinda stuff happened way back when too.

"Sonic hasn't been good for years and Snake will be the only third party character, give up!"

"Sonic rocks! I've wanted him since the first game."

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah, and I can SO see that happening with Geno too.

"Geno is just an irrelevant side character from a 20 year old game!"

Then after his reveal trailer:

"Geno's the coolest! About time, he deserves it so much."

Ah, some things never change... I wonder if that kinda stuff happened way back when too.

"Sonic hasn't been good for years and Snake will be the only third party character, give up!"

"Sonic rocks! I've wanted him since the first game."
I'm sure there were people like that during the pre-Melee or pre-Brawl days. That behavior in the community will never change.

link2702

Smash Champion
All this time we’ve speculated, and prepare ourselves for whenever the next direct happens, I have to wonder....what if geno is the next character reveal? After the dust settles, we’re all celebrating...then what?

Ever since brawl I’ve been hoping for a multitude of characters to get in, with geno being number one, but definitely not the only one. The thing is though....literally all the others I could ever want got in. Megaman? 4. Ryu? 4. Ice climbers return? Ultimate. Inkling? Ultimate. Simon belmont? Ultimate. Little mac? 4. K.rool, and Ridley? Ultimate. BANJO-FREAKING-KAZOOIE?!? Ultimate.

While many of these characters I don’t even play since I really didn’t get comfortable with their play-styles(and even actively detest playing against), I wanted them in be in because I felt they deserved it for multiple reasons. Whether it was because I personally just liked the design/lore of the character, the gameplay of their games, felt they made a big enough impact on gaming as icons that they deserve it, i wanted all those characters in....and got them.

Which brings me back to geno....he’s quite literally the only character left I truly seriously “want” for smash. There’s others I’d be happy to see in, such as Shantae, isaac, and waluigi, but none of these characters are ones that I actively sat down eagerly awaiting an announcement for. They’re not ones i spend weeks counting down when the next batch of smash info drops to see if they got in.

What I’m kinda getting at is....I’ve been doing this for so long, not quite sure what I’d do next if geno got revealed... it would feel kinda bittersweet. I finally get the characters I’ve literally been waiting over a decade for all in one game, but now that ritualistic pass time of counting down the days, speculating on reveal trailers, moveset, etc., would be over for me. I wouldn’t be there eagerly tuning in for smash announcements, I’d probably not even notice a patch would be releasing until the day of, I would no longer be speculating about movesets, trailers, etc. I’d just be like “oh a new smash direct? Eh...”

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
All this time we’ve speculated, and prepare ourselves for whenever the next direct happens, I have to wonder....what if geno is the next character reveal? After the dust settles, we’re all celebrating...then what?

Ever since brawl I’ve been hoping for a multitude of characters to get in, with geno being number one, but definitely not the only one. The thing is though....literally all the others I could ever want got in. Megaman? 4. Ryu? 4. Ice climbers return? Ultimate. Inkling? Ultimate. Simon belmont? Ultimate. Little mac? 4. K.rool, and Ridley? Ultimate. BANJO-FREAKING-KAZOOIE?!? Ultimate.

While many of these characters I don’t even play since I really didn’t get comfortable with their play-styles(and even actively detest playing against), I wanted them in be in because I felt they deserved it for multiple reasons. Whether it was because I personally just liked the design/lore of the character, the gameplay of their games, felt they made a big enough impact on gaming as icons that they deserve it, i wanted all those characters in....and got them.

Which brings me back to geno....he’s quite literally the only character left I truly seriously “want” for smash. There’s others I’d be happy to see in, such as Shantae, isaac, and waluigi, but none of these characters are ones that I actively sat down eagerly awaiting an announcement for. They’re not ones i spend weeks counting down when the next batch of smash info drops to see if they got in.

What I’m kinda getting at is....I’ve been doing this for so long, not quite sure what I’d do next if geno got revealed... it would feel kinda bittersweet. I finally get the characters I’ve literally been waiting over a decade for all in one game, but now that ritualistic pass time of counting down the days, speculating on reveal trailers, moveset, etc., would be over for me. I wouldn’t be there eagerly tuning in for smash announcements, I’d probably not even notice a patch would be releasing until the day of, I would no longer be speculating about movesets, trailers, etc. I’d just be like “oh a new smash direct? Eh...”
After you get Geno I would just enjoy the rest of the ride and keep supporting other characters you think would be cool or think that deserves to be in. K. Rool, Ridley, Goemon, and Banjo & Kazooie were my wanted characters since Melee's release and I finally got 3 of them playable in Ultimate while one of them become a Mii costume. I don't know if I could be anymore satisfied with Ultimate other than getting another character I really want or suppport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom