• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I'd like to ask you all a question, I asked it in the Star Warriors discord and i didn't get as many comments as i'd like. So I'd like to hear from you guys, I'm just gonna copy and paste this

So I was thinking about how Sakurai goes to all the creators of the characters for approval and they can even request stuff about the character (The wii fit Face change is an example) Which got me thinking

in 2013 Yoshihiko Maekawa was in an interview about a possible sequal to Mario RPG and when he asked about a possible sequel he had this to say

"Actually, I don't feel like I want to return to that world and use those characters in another game," Maekawa said through a translator. "I feel like I was able to accomplish what I wanted to with that world and those characters and the gameplay ideas that came out of those, and now I mostly feel like I want to make something different."

Is it possible that Sakurai WANTED to make Geno and even worked on him but the original creators said NO to him?
Hmm I don’t think so. Since Geno is a Mario character, I don’t see why Sakurai has to ask AlphaDream. The creator of King K. Rool did not even know about him being in Smash, so I think Sakurai only needs to go through Nintendo and Square.

Last edited by a moderator:

G0nard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G0nard
Switch FC
SW-0192-8472-4336
Hmm I don’t think so. Since Geno is a Mario character, I don’t see why Sakurai has to ask AlphaDream. The creator of King K. Rool did not even know about him being in Smash, so I think Sakurai only needs to go through Nintendo and Square.
Oh really, I thought all this time that Sakurai goes over each character with there respective creators mainly to get everything right about the character.

D

Deleted member

Oh really, I thought all this time that Sakurai goes over each character with there respective creators mainly to get everything right about the character.
Perhaps I think he did with Cloud and would ask Nomura for Sora.

Last edited by a moderator:

G0nard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G0nard
Switch FC
SW-0192-8472-4336
Perhaps I think he did with Cloud and would ask Nomura for Sora.
I mainly thought about all this Becuase of respect. The main reason I brought this up was because they didn't update snakes codec calls because the Japanese voice actor for Roy Campbell passed away and out of respect for that actor they didn't add more lines, even though they could have used Mei ling or Otacon. I'm sure there might have been another reason but I'm not so sure about that. So I'm sure out of respect if Maekawa said no to Geno in smash sakurai would have to respect that. But we did get that Geno Mii Costume so maybe it's just me being cautious

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
I'd like to ask you all a question, I asked it in the Star Warriors discord and i didn't get as many comments as i'd like. So I'd like to hear from you guys, I'm just gonna copy and paste this

So I was thinking about how Sakurai goes to all the creators of the characters for approval and they can even request stuff about the character (The wii fit Face change is an example) Which got me thinking

in 2013 Yoshihiko Maekawa was in an interview about a possible sequal to Mario RPG and when he asked about a possible sequel he had this to say

"Actually, I don't feel like I want to return to that world and use those characters in another game," Maekawa said through a translator. "I feel like I was able to accomplish what I wanted to with that world and those characters and the gameplay ideas that came out of those, and now I mostly feel like I want to make something different."

Is it possible that Sakurai WANTED to make Geno and even worked on him but the original creators said NO to him?
I don't think so. Maekawa seems to be responding to the question of if he is interested in making a sequel, not him being opposed to the characters being used in a different game. I can respect him wanting to stay creative and not have to reuse things he's not interested in anymore. But in the case of Ultimate, he's not working on it himself and Geno's inclusion is more of a "celebration" of that creation and not a sequel per se.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
While I enjoyed the second GBA title, I was never under the impression that Golden Sun was that popular of a franchise. Is it actually? Don't get me wrong, I think he'd be a fun-ass character to play, but I still don't see the backlash compared to Waluigi or the amount of people wanting so many other characters. I really don't think he has a chance and simply getting an AT was surprising (to me at least). I've also only seen people really talking about him since his AT reveal.

PS: The backlash could have also been caused by Grinch Leak expectations and the final direct being GOD AWFUL. Kencineroar being the final 2, Spirits being a very underwhelming mode overall (do people even give a crap about Spirits anymore? Did they ever?), I mean they even filled that direct with things like SOUND OPTIONS.

Isaac has been a massively demanded character way before the Grinch leak since pre Brawl even. He's been ranked highly on multiple polls while the OG Golden Sun games on GBA both topped over a million. He's also the only cut AT from Brawl to return and has the second most spirits for a non playable series after Rhythm Heaven. Say what you want about who's likely but Isaac's AT backlash only coming because he was in the Grinch leak is an objectively false statement. No offense but you must have not been paying much attention to speculation if you never saw his demand until after the November 2018 direct

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I strongly discourage anyone from buying FP2 until we at least see who fighter #6 is. I understand that there are many people willing to buy it regardless of who's in it, but the message I want to send to Nintendo is that it's bull sh-...uh, crap (winks at Wazygoose) that they would try to sell something without being bothered to give at least a PIECE of its content. It tells them that they still need to impress us. They can't just end the previous pass on a shill and expect us to come crawling back for more of the same.
Sorry, but I will buy it as soon as it releases. It will annoy the crap out of me if I don¨t have a complete roster (yes I¨m that type of person) and buying the fighters pass is cheaper then buying them individually

MattX20

Smash Hero
Isaac has been a massively demanded character way before the Grinch leak since pre Brawl even. He's been ranked highly on multiple polls while the OG Golden Sun games on GBA both topped over a million. He's also the only cut AT from Brawl to return and has the second most spirits for a non playable series after Rhythm Heaven. Say what you want about who's likely but Isaac's AT backlash only coming because he was in the Grinch leak is an objectively false statement. No offense but you must have not been paying much attention to speculation if you never saw his demand until after the November 2018 direct
I remember Isaac being a highly wanted character back in the Brawl days when I visited the forums back in the day. I was rooting for you guys as I saw gameplay videos of what Isaac could do as well as some awesome music like Isaac's battle theme. I hope that one day, Golden Sun gets its due like maybe a remake that combines the first two games into one for the Switch or something and reignites love for the franchise, much like how we want Geno to make a full comeback as well.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Sorry, but I will buy it as soon as it releases. It will annoy the crap out of me if I don¨t have a complete roster (yes I¨m that type of person) and buying the fighters pass is cheaper then buying them individually
To each their own. I'm unlikely to buy the fighters pass at all, honestly. Not that I don't have faith in the characters, but I don't want to send a company the message that it's ok to sell me a nothing that might turn into something I like later. I can spare an extra five bucks to be discerning in my purchase.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Meh, anyone can do what they want. I personally waited to buy the FIghter's Pass until I saw Banjo come in. However, the fault of not buying the pass or most/all the fighters is BECAUSE of the success of the first pass is what more than likely green lit the second pass. Otherwards, if the first pass did not sell very well, than most likely we wouldn't get more DLC.

Of course, everyone can do what they want, but maybe if FP2 does well there could be another pass, or even just a few individual fighters. who knows.

However, I do agree I don't like NOT having at least a face for the first one. Most likely I will do the same thing ... just wait. However, I also may or may not care about having a complete roster unless there is some character I just can't stand PERSONALLY. (I didn't get all the Smash 4 fighters, minus one of them.)

Firox

Smash Master
I never said NOT to buy the bundle. In fact, I specifically acknowledged that there would be people such as yourself that would insist on buying the bundle simply for the sake of owning 100% of the content. I'm simply saying to exercise a modicum of self control and simply WAIT for fighter #6 to be revealed BEFORE you buy the bundle. It's not like buying it now will give you the characters any faster anyway. You're still going to have to wait for each reveal and each release either way. The only difference is that by waiting, you're showing Nintendo that you aren't just going to lap up whatever garbage they throw at you (even if you obviously want to do that anyway lol). Even if you always intended to buy the full bundle, it will at least send the message to Nintendo that they are still burdened with bringing the WOW factor.

Conversely, the general practice of buying 100% of everything a company spits out regardless of content is how you get BS nickel-and-dime quagmires like EA and others *cough* Gamefreak *cough* that think zero effort is adequate for a full payout (which sadly, the consumer base seems more than happy to support). Not saying that you're desire to buy the Smash bundle is necessarily such a thing, but the fact remains. All I ask is that we WAIT until fighter #6 gets revealed. After that, lap up whatever you want.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I won't lie; I was mostly looking into speculation only during SSBU. But I'm talking about Golden Sun specifically, not just Isaac. Outside of Smash, I never, EVER, hear people talking about Golden Sun nowadays. Yeah they're older games (10-19 years old), but you always hear people talking about SNES games, which are even older.

If Isaac truly is as massively demanded as you say, my apologies for not seeing it. I knew he was requested, but "massively" requested? Ehh, idk about that. Hell I wouldn't even say Geno is "massively" requested (and he's a higher request than Isaac [or am I wrong about that, too?]).

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
To each their own. I'm unlikely to buy the fighters pass at all, honestly. Not that I don't have faith in the characters, but I don't want to send a company the message that it's ok to sell me a nothing that might turn into something I like later. I can spare an extra five bucks to be discerning in my purchase.
Conversely, the general practice of buying 100% of everything a company spits out regardless of content is how you get BS nickel-and-dime quagmires like EA and others *cough* Gamefreak *cough* that think zero effort is adequate for a full payout (which sadly, the consumer base seems more than happy to support). Not saying that you're desire to buy the Smash bundle is necessary such a thing, but the fact remains. All I ask is that we WAIT until fighter #6 gets revealed. After that, lap up whatever you want.
Totally understandable

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Conversely, the general practice of buying 100% of everything a company spits out regardless of content is how you get BS nickel-and-dime quagmires like EA and others *cough* Gamefreak *cough* that think zero effort is adequate for a full payout (which sadly, the consumer base seems more than happy to support). Not saying that you're desire to buy the Smash bundle is necessarily such a thing, but the fact remains. All I ask is that we WAIT until fighter #6 gets revealed. After that, lap up whatever you want.
I'd love to see Urshifu jammed down our throats... Honestly, that would be one of the few characters that would piss me off because it's so obviously a shill pick over something like Toxtricity who is infinitely more popular (or even Obstagoon).

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I won't lie; I was mostly looking into speculation only during SSBU. But I'm talking about Golden Sun specifically, not just Isaac. Outside of Smash, I never, EVER, hear people talking about Golden Sun nowadays. Yeah they're older games (10-19 years old), but you always hear people talking about SNES games, which are even older.

If Isaac truly is as massively demanded as you say, my apologies for not seeing it. I knew he was requested, but "massively" requested? Ehh, idk about that. Hell I wouldn't even say Geno is "massively" requested (and he's a higher request than Isaac [or am I wrong about that, too?]).
Isaac WAS massively requested and there's a lot of data to support that he was in the top 10, if not the top 5 of the offical Sm4sh ballot. The problem is that his support tanked hard after he got double tapped to death by being turned into an AT and Mii costume.....AGAIN. People gave up hope, just as I did. It really seems like Sakurai and Nintendo really just don't care about that franchise. Not enough, anyway.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Sakurai and crew has done a fantastic job with Smash. Even if the DLC fighters were not ones I personally cared about, but they still turned out pretty great. I enjoyed Banjo, Hero and Terry in that order of desire, I'm personally meh on Joker just cuz I don't play the series, but appreciate the style of him.

So the next pass I am hoping for a good mix. Favorites, something new, Unexpected, etc. And Geno. Of course.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Oh my god the Smash fans would riot. Hahaha! (I like Sword and Shield but COMPLETELY understand some of the frustration, especially if the new pokemon start it out.)
I have it, quit after the first gym. I find it terrible, but I don't mind that others are enjoying it. That said, at least give us a mon that is already well-beloved (AND SO MEME-WORTHY!!!) over New, worse, Pangoro. I'll gladly take Obstagoon or Intelleon too, Cinderace is a "meh", Rillaboom is a very very "meh". Urshifu would be BLATANT shill pick.

Plus we have no punk, no rocker, no punk-rockers in Smash. Also no Poison-types. This would break a lot of ground for Pokemon and deliver on a rather solid character that I think would be really cool. Alt colors also pretty easy since you have Amped, Low-Key, Shiny Amped, Shiny Low-Key, and 4 more slots (could have 2 based on it's Gigantamax form and Shiny Gigantamax, then just 2 more alts to make).

But yeah, I feel like Urshifu would cause a big uproar. As big as Byleth? Idk, but even Pokemon fans would be pissed they're getting new shill Pangoro Gen 8 over one that people already love.

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Smash Fans: "Hey Sakurai, can you add (fighter) to Smash?"
Sakurai: "Yeah sure, lemme just check the rules before I do to make sure (fighter) doesn't break any."
Sakurai:
1580253602193.png

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Alright then.
What Mario RPG do you want remade the most?
I would LOVE a Super Paper Mario remake that makes the combat like TTYD or PM64, hell maybe even SMRPG.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Alright then.
I would LOVE a Super Paper Mario remake that makes the combat like TTYD or PM64, hell maybe even SMRPG.
Give us a crossover between Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Isaac WAS massively requested and there's a lot of data to support that he was in the top 10, if not the top 5 of the offical Sm4sh ballot. The problem is that his support tanked hard after he got double tapped to death by being turned into an AT and Mii costume.....AGAIN. People gave up hope, just as I did. It really seems like Sakurai and Nintendo really just don't care about that franchise. Not enough, anyway.
To piggyback on this if you were to take the fan ballot era compilation document data and weed out all the inclusions from ultimate Isaac would take #1 by a notable margin, and for comparison for people like polar who weren't around this would leave geno at #6 and sora at #13. isaac, banjo, and k rool were the one's to beat going into ultimate and the fact that isaac was still at the top of the pile by the big poll last fall should speak volumes

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I would have to agree. If you buy the pass and it turns out there are more characters you dislike, then you pretty much wasted money. It’s understandable for those who are gonna buy all the DLC regardless to have the full complete roster. For me, I’m not interested in Joker but I am interested in Banjo, Byleth, Hero, and Terry. I would definitely buy Crash and Geno in season 2. So yeah, blind purchases can be scary.
If you're not interested in Joker why is he your pfp?

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I'm back!!

I haven't been on here for a couple weeks now because Byleth left a sour taste in my mouth, especially since I was really expecting another character (My fault, I know) and the wait for FP5's reveal was already painful, but now that I have to wait even more for someone I at least somewhat care about, it just left me unmotivated and tired of speculation.

But now I got some of the Smash spirit back! (no pun intended). I've accepted Byleth now and am looking forward to checking his content out tonight.

I want to take this moment to review Geno's likelihood. The CacoMallow leak is in a very awkward position right now. I'm gonna say now that if Geno and a Bethesda rep are not Fighter 6 and/or 7, the leak is most likely fake. Still, we got plenty of evidence in Geno's favor. The two music tracks taken down, the Mii costume leak, a heavy competitor in the form of Hero is no longer an issue, and with a fresh, new fighters pass with 6 slots, company repeats are definitely back on the table. I think out of all the characters in the DLC, Banjo and Terry really helped Geno's chances. Banjo being a long-time big fan request, and Terry getting in before Soul Calibur and Tekken of all things which was a big surprise (let's be real, most people were expecting Heihachi, not Terry). Not to mention Sakurai saying that a character's popularity is not the only big factor taken into consideration. While that might have been obvious, it was still good to hear it from the man himself.

I'm still sticking with a 50% chance score for Geno. We got at least 6 more characters promised. Surely at least 1 or 2 of them will be big fan requests.

Now, I just thought of something interesting. I saw Fatman's post a couple days ago (yes I still lurked a little bit during my hiatus) detailing timelines and bringing up the fact that characters usually take 10 months to a year to complete. When did a lot of Geno's evidence like the music tracks taken down take place? I think it was either June or July. Guess what is roughly 10 to 11 months later? April. The same month that we got Mewtwo in Smash 4 and Joker for the first fighters pass. It's a consistent pattern. I'm sure I'm not the only one who brought this up (Fatman probably did already, knowing him), but it's real damn interesting. The only thing is, I'm not too sure if Geno would make sense as Fighter 6 as I've just been implying. He is not very well known throughout the Smash community. Yes, more and more people have been bringing him up (most notably Arlo and ZeRo), but I don't think he is even on Joker's level of popularity. Other characters like Dante, Rex, or dare I say it....Steve would make more sense (I can hear people already sending me hate mail) as Fighter 6 to get the general audience interested in the Fighters Pass. But then again, this is Nintendo, and they would probably choose someone controversial like Steve to start things off with.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
I never said NOT to buy the bundle. In fact, I specifically acknowledged that there would be people such as yourself that would insist on buying the bundle simply for the sake of owning 100% of the content. I'm simply saying to exercise a modicum of self control and simply WAIT for fighter #6 to be revealed BEFORE you buy the bundle. It's not like buying it now will give you the characters any faster anyway. You're still going to have to wait for each reveal and each release either way. The only difference is that by waiting, you're showing Nintendo that you aren't just going to lap up whatever garbage they throw at you (even if you obviously want to do that anyway lol). Even if you always intended to buy the full bundle, it will at least send the message to Nintendo that they are still burdened with bringing the WOW factor.

Well explained, yes. It's not so much about buying the whole Fighter Pass 2 at all, which I do intend on doing for the record, as it is about buying it AFTER we at least know the first of the 6 fighters so we can hopefully send the message to Nintendo that our money has to be earned, I guess you could say. I'm even ok with purchasing it without knowing the other 5, but really at least the first one's gotta be there to make us know what to expect, y'know?

Hey, I totally get it. From another person who's never played the Golden Sun games, they can seem somewhat niche, but you'd be surprised by how beloved they are. When I see people talking about dead Nintendo franchises they want revived, I always, ALWAYS see Golden Sun mentioned, right up there with F-Zero and Mother and the like. I found plenty of support for the series with some Youtubers raving about it, fanart all around and just people sharing their love for it online, and I figure that's only the tip of the iceberg. Even if they're not the most talked about games, Golden Sun havs some pretty dedicated fans if nothing else, a lot like SMRPG and Geno really. And I know you said you don't think he's a massive request either, which I also get, but I think it's more of a "it's there, but I don't see it" kinda deal. There are a few characters and franchises I don't see talked much about that I'm sure have a boatload of fans.

Not saying you're wrong for thinking the way you do about it or anything, I'm just more so sharing my experiences with the subject. Either way, rock on, Isaacbros!

Alright then.
All of them lol

Or being serious for a moment. I'd absolutely love Super Paper Mario remade in PM64/TTYD style too. I really like the game as is, but it'd be interesting if they could manage to make it more in line with the first two games with the turn based combat and all, it'd almost feel like a completely new game in a way which would be pretty cool

Crankshadow

Smash Cadet
I have no problem blind buying, and plan on doing so this evening, I get it all anyway besides a few mii costumes. I am confident in the quality, and if nothing else it sends a message that we want more. I do wonder if there will be a small hint tonight though. Small twitter video stating that volume 2 is available now set to an off the beaten path smrpg song.
Here’s to hoping for our star boi this round!

T2by4

Smash Lord
I know it's probably been stated before, but I feel it'd be a waste if they brought back Geno and didn't tie his lore in with Rosalina in some way. There's a ton of potential for expanding the mario universe and having him be connected in Rosalina's story in some way would be really fascinating.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I know it's probably been stated before, but I feel it'd be a waste if they brought back Geno and didn't tie his lore in with Rosalina in some way. There's a ton of potential for expanding the mario universe and having him be connected in Rosalina's story in some way would be really fascinating.
Honestly, the only problem I have with the Geno-Rosalina connection is that they have no reason to connect to each other. She's not some known star authority, she's at best a traveling foster mother for Star children.

Geno's straight up an agent of a star authority sent to specifically protect the Mushroom Kingdom, the Star Road, and the ability to grant wishes; which is vital to the Mushroom World's existence. He's fully aware of inter dimensional beings like Smithy, and has a running record of who Mario is. (I mean, everyone in Mario's world knows who he is by now), but this predates his worldwide fame as he was only known in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Heck, Geno is probably older than Rosalina by several centuries, which might blow out the mother-son type of relationship that I know some people entertained. Honestly, the only encounter I can see making sense is if her visiting the planet every 100 years, the centennial Star festival, (which I'm sure she only does to collect many of the star bits that rain down) then maybe she'd have an encounter with the higher authority, but I don't see why that would be prompted unless she was someone of importance... which she really isn't, and there was a matter of serious concern that needed her help on.

Far as I understand it, Rosalina only actually stopped to visit the Mushroom Kingdom fully because Bowser jacked her Grand Stars, and then she met Mario whom pretty much changed her plans once the new galaxies appeared.

But their relationship, and my thoughts on such, is still speculative conjecture.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Who wrote that book? That has to be the longest book I have ever seen, even if it was just edited to look like that in this image.
Smash fans, on why no character will ever be included ever.

In actuality, I don't really know lol but I found this other image that goes along with it.
1580260593716.png

Dukefire

Smash Master
Go and get it if you are ready for the next unknown train ride. Also, choose Smash House for your next adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom