• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Apart from in November 2018, where else did he say this?

And again, for the sheer amount of outcry I’ve seen for him outside of Smashboards, it likely has been taken note of by now.
Sakurai stated this in the Byleth reveal. No Twitter suggestions as the characters are already decided for FP2. I instantly felt like he targeted Sora with that. Just my opinion ofc. :D Sucks too because I love Sora. Geno is def going to be in this game though in some form. I wish I had as much faith in Sora or Sephiroth as I do in Geno this time!

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Geno's literally a Mario character. You really can't get closer than that. How many third parties can not only brag about creating not only an original Mario character but one that's actively popular 2 1/2 decades after their only major appearance? Plus, let's also consider that SMRPG has been rereleased in 2008, 2015, and 2017. What's Geno's benefit? Being a super accessible character that's likely to sell well. He's useless to Square and Nintendo can't use him without Square's permission so it's an easy win win on both sides for a character that they've already worked together on multiple times.
Yeah, but you didn't answer my question; what does Geno provide to Square Enix / Nintendo? Why should they choose Geno in particular? Yes, he's a Mario character, but there are plenty of Mario characters that aren't playable in Smash yet. What makes Geno so special, discounting the fan demand?

Square could choose to advertise series like Bravely Default or TWEWY or even Mana. Series that are heavily associated with Nintendo and are still active/popular to this day.

Square seems disinterested in SMRPG at best only seeming to port it here and there when Nintendo asks for it. They would gain a lot more from putting others in before Geno as a playable character.

And let's be honest the only reason why Geno is even considered is because of fan demand. That point is moot because Sora also has that.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Yeah, but you didn't answer my question; what does Geno provide to Square Enix / Nintendo? Why should they choose Geno in particular? Yes, he's a Mario character, but there are plenty of Mario characters that aren't playable in Smash yet. What makes Geno so special, discounting the fan demand?
You can make the same argument for Steve vs Master Chief vs Banjo and look who got in

Firox

Smash Master
OK, guys, I think it's time to put this Geno/Sora argument to bed. Here are the facts:

1) A character can get into Smash with or without a history of their franchise being on a Nintendo system

2) There is, however, an overwhelmingly higher percentage of characters in Smash that DO have a history with Nintendo, hence there is a statistically higher chance of such characters getting in due to a higher bias from Nintendo itself

3) Both Geno and Sora are highly requested by fans, however, this being a GENO THREAD means that Sora should be discussed in the context of Geno speculation and not a straight-up campaign plug.

4) Objectively speaking, Geno would require less red tape to include in smash due to
A) Him being owned by only one company instead of the complex combination of Disney and SE (Nomura)
B) Rights to his inclusion have already technically been established as evidenced by previous content (Spirit and Mii costume)
C) Him existing as a Mario spin-off character
D) Him not belonging to a predominantly Playstation exclusive franchise

In short, COULD Sora happen? Absolutely. WILL Sora happen? We don't know. We just don't. Is there currently any evidence, leaks, official commentary, etc. hinting toward Sora? None that I know of. As for Geno, what do we KNOW?

1) Sakurai has personally said that Geno "would fit great in Smash" and that he had "wanted to add him since Brawl".

2) Geno not only had a Mii costume, but it was also the only one to have a splash screen and is currently (and suspiciously) MIA.

3) We have at least two leaks (Mii costume and Cacomallow) that not only point towards Geno, but at very least have skyrocketed his visibility among devs and Smash fans alike

4) The two largest franchises owned by SE are now represented in Smash Bros, alleviating what should be the most staunch reason for hold-out on the part of SE to include a character that doesn't pertain to either.

Now then, let's move past the semantics and accept the fact that things are looking pretty good for our star boy right now.

Shaboba

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1760-9183-5135
Maybe I'm alone in this, but I'm not quite sure what people have to gain from arguing about Sora in the Geno thread.

Again, maybe it's just me.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Sakurai stated this in the Byleth reveal. No Twitter suggestions as the characters are already decided for FP2. I instantly felt like he targeted Sora with that. Just my opinion ofc. :D Sucks too because I love Sora. Geno is def going to be in this game though in some form. I wish I had as much faith in Sora or Sephiroth as I do in Geno this time!
I mean Crash was also mentioned in the retweets, so Sora isn't the only likely spammed character there either.

Anyways, a ton of characters are spammed on Sakurai's twitter, so nothing really changed.

Pretty much all Sakurai was stating is that some of the characters that we see on twitter aren't going to get in; which is pretty obvious considering that there are only six slots. It isn't a giant conspiracy against a specific character.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Maybe I'm alone in this, but I'm not quite sure what people have to gain from arguing about Sora in the Geno thread.

Again, maybe it's just me.
It's just a waste of time to hang onto the topic. Once in a blue moon is fine, but I kind of dont want to beat this topic like a dead horse either.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I mean Crash was also mentioned in the retweets, so Sora isn't the only likely spammed character there either.

Anyways, a ton of characters are spammed on Sakurai's twitter, so nothing really changed.

Pretty much all Sakurai was stating is that some of the characters that we see on twitter aren't going to get in; which is pretty obvious considering that there are only six slots. It isn't a giant conspiracy against a specific character.
Okay but for ME, Sora was the one that came to mind first anyway. Onward to Geno discussion! :)

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Square could choose to advertise series like Bravely Default or TWEWY or even Mana. Series that are heavily associated with Nintendo and are still active/popular to this day.

Square seems disinterested in SMRPG at best only seeming to port it here and there when Nintendo asks for it. They would gain a lot more from putting others in before Geno as a playable character.

And let's be honest the only reason why Geno is even considered is because of fan demand. That point is moot because Sora also has that.
Like I said in my last reply, he's an easily accessible character that is useless to both companies unless they work together. Both companies have to cooperate for him to have any worth. That's it. Both sign off on it and it's off to the races and Nintendo has worked with Square Enix on specifically SMRPG ports three times since 2008, once with Smash 4, and once with the base game in Smash Ultimate. Let's just say it's a well trodden path at this point. Geno is a toy in the attic in an almost literal sense. He is basically worthless by himself which is why he makes a perfect DLC candidate. You have a super demanded character that takes minimal effort to access, involves little risk, and predominantly profit. If the actual Geno IP was worth more than five figures, I'd be genuinely surprised. In comparison, the Mario IP is worth about 25 billion. Low investment, low risk, high payout. Geno is pretty much the definition of money in the bank from a business standpoint.

Droodle

Smash Lord
You can make the same argument for Steve vs Master Chief vs Banjo and look who got in
The difference between that situation is that Banjo had far more fan demand then either of them.

Sora and Geno on the other hand are both insanely demanded. And kinda compete with each other.

Fatman implied that Sora's fan demand doesn't mean as much as Geno's because KH isn't related enough to Nintendo to get in. The entire premise of it is different from Banjo vs Steve vs Master Chief. Banjo clearly had more demand then either of those two. Steve was a potential choice, but again nowhere near as much demand.

Fatman's initial argument is full of holes, it's not good. Both Geno and Sora are perfectly viable in terms of "requirements". Neither of them are guaranteed. I'm done talking about this whole ordeal. Go back to Geno.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
In the event that Geno gets in, I will only be pushing "Very Cool" posting. Because Geno getting into Smash Bros is Very Cool.

I don't want to see any of you punks going after detractors. Unless you are clapping back at toxic Gamefaqs/Sora posters

But for Twitter, Geno is going to be the character that kills the hoes mad trend. We are absolutely better than that.

Remember kids,

Very Cool.

Very Cool.
Y'know, I'm absolutely in approval of this. Matter of fact, here's my attempt at associating Geno with very cool posting. lmao

hopefully it won't become as painfully overused as hoes mad memes...

final very cool area.png

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Consider this though. Question for all Geno fans who believe he is without a doubt the most requested character remaining.

If Banjo got in over Master Chief and Steve, two of the biggest gaming franchises out there, then why did both Cloud and Hero get in before Geno did?

I’m sorry, but if Geno truly was on that same level of fan outcry outside of SmashBoards, we wouldn’t even be having this discussion in the first place. He would be in our CSS as we speak.

And the “Square is stingy” argument won’t work, we got 4 DQ Heroes in one for crying out loud.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I legit don't want to engage with a lot of the opposing arguments because a lot of them are just like, retorted very well. But then they just shift over to another point and it goes on forever in circles.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Like I said in my last reply, he's an easily accessible character that is useless to both companies unless they work together. Both companies have to cooperate for him to have any worth. That's it. Both sign off on it and it's off to the races and Nintendo has worked with Square Enix on specifically SMRPG ports three times since 2008, once with Smash 4, and once with the base game in Smash Ultimate. Let's just say it's a well trodden path at this point. Geno is a toy in the attic in an almost literal sense. He is basically worthless by himself which is why he makes a perfect DLC candidate. You have a super demanded character that takes minimal effort to access, involves little risk, and predominantly profit. If the actual Geno IP was worth more than five figures, I'd be genuinely surprised. In comparison, the Mario IP is worth about 25 billion. Low investment, low risk, high payout. Geno is pretty much the definition of money in the bank from a business standpoint.
I'm not saying that Geno wouldn't be a good choice. Just that he isn't the only choice, even apart from Sora. For example:

-Square and Nintendo hypothetically decide on adding a TWEWY/Bravely/Mana rep. Not as demanded as Geno/Sora, but the fanbase is generally ok/happy with their inclusion.

-Square announces a new TWEWY/Bravely/Mana game for the Switch. Everyone talks about it thanks to Smash.

- Square makes a boatload of profit, and Nintendo gets a ton of royalties.

-Series is now more popular then ever, and more games are coming for the Switch. Even more profit for both companies!

Vs.

-Square/Nintendo decide to add Geno.

-Smash fanbase is really happy.

-Square ports SMRPG to Switch. It sells well thanks to Geno being promoted; however, it's still a $20 dollar port compared to a $60 dollar game.

-There is a small chance for SMRPG to continue, and an even smaller shot of Geno being playable in that game. Limited profits.
Even Banjo has a higher shot of getting a sequel compared to SMRPG/Geno.

Like I can't see a situation where putting Geno in results in more long term profits for Square/Nintendo. If SMRPG had a future, then yes I could, but it's pretty much in port limbo right now.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Consider this though. Question for all Geno fans who believe he is without a doubt the most requested character remaining.

If Banjo got in over Master Chief and Steve, two of the biggest gaming franchises out there, then why did both Cloud and Hero get in before Geno did?

I’m sorry, but if Geno was on that same level of fan outcry outside of SmashBoards, we wouldn’t even be having this discussion in the first place. He would be in our CSS as we speak.

And the “Square is stingy” argument won’t work, we got 4 DQ Heroes in one for crying out loud.
You could ask this about literally anyone, honestly. Why wasn't Inkling DLC in Smash 4? Why wasn't Wario in Melee? Why did it take almost 20 years to add Ridley and K. Rool? Why wasn't Megaman in Brawl? Why did the Ice Climbers beat Daisy into Smash by 18 years? Why did Snake get added before Simon? I could go on and on.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
You could ask this about literally anyone, honestly. Why wasn't Inkling DLC in Smash 4? Why wasn't Wario in Melee? Why did it take almost 20 years to add Ridley and K. Rool? Why wasn't Megaman in Brawl? Why did the Ice Climbers beat Daisy into Smash by 18 years? Why did Snake get added before Simon? I could go on and on.
How're u feeling about a direct this week fatman? Any rumblings?

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Besides Phil Spencer even said that he was all aboard if Nintendo wanted to add Banjo Kazooie to Smash, Square Enix didn't do that for Geno. they're two completely different companies and of course they're going to have different priorities

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
That wasn’t the point I was trying to make, but go off, I guess.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
The one thing I could see happening that makes Geno more valuable as a business pick is him getting an all-Nintendo-owned paper version to promote a new Paper Mario game. IIt's a way out there idea but it's the only thing I can think of beyond a SMRPG release on Switch. It would be pretty rad NGL.

A couple details I thought of for in-game Geno, it would be a nice touch if Villager's axe did extra damage to Geno. Kirby's copy ability could make him wooden-looking, too, and he could take more damage from the axe if he's in that mode. Small details but it would just be a neat little thing.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
That wasn’t the point I was trying to make, but go off, I guess.
But that is the point. "If they're so popular, why aren't they in Smash yet?" We have 20 years of examples of this. They chose Jigglypuff over Mewtwo in the original. Dr. Mario beat a long list of Mario characters that people actually wanted. Sonic was an 11th hour addition in Brawl. Wii Fit Trainer was an E3 reveal. Rosalina beat both Daisy and Waluigi into Smash. That is the point. Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it can't.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I think whatever we are talking about now, we should most definitely drop it and not continue it before something bad happens to this thread, such as getting locked. Can we just move on from this?

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Honestly I hope with the idea of this being the "Ultimate" Smash game in regards to who Sakurai would like to add, I hope that's his motivation to revisit the idea of Geno as a playable character. We got our "almost" with his comment on Brawl, and a Mii fighter costume which I see as sort of an honorary fighter or possible future candidate (previous costumes like Isabelle, K. Rool, Chrom, Inkling, etc.).

This may seem like a general statement with all the talks about likeliness, but that's my line of thinking. We just don't know for certainty where Sakurai will go with it.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
But that is the point. "If they're so popular, why aren't they in Smash yet?" We have 20 years of examples of this. They chose Jigglypuff over Mewtwo in the original. Dr. Mario beat a long list of Mario characters that people actually wanted. Sonic was an 11th hour addition in Brawl. Wii Fit Trainer was an E3 reveal. Rosalina beat both Daisy and Waluigi into Smash. That is the point. Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it can't.
Again, you are missing the point entirely.

Banjos fan demand was enough to get him in before some of the biggest gaming franchises in the world.

I’m not denying Geno is wanted, but if it was as huge as some people are trying to make it out to be, he would’ve been chosen as the Square rep over Cloud and Hero.

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
Something that popped into my mind is that whenever games have been added for the Switch Online, they’ve always been announced at least one week before the game dump occurs. And although a Direct is very unlikely for this week, the website for the SNES controllers said to come back for more news this month. More SNES games coming could be that “news” and if so, they would be released next week...right in time for the next possible Direct.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Also I have a question how does putting Geno in Smash benefit Nintendo/Square? Not counting money of course.
I dunno, how did it benefit them both to get the Mii costume in 4 and the spirit in Ultimate?

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Imagine ****ting on geno in the geno thread. Then this thread get closed, we get comfy for some time until another person comes here to generate polemic. This is disgusting.
Well yeah but they gotta stop it from being an echo chamber or something like that! They're doing us a public service, you see. If they weren't here, people on THE GENO THREAD may actually want Geno in Smash and think he's likely, they've made it so that THE GENO THREAD keeps people from wanting Geno and you're all very clearly doing a bang up job at it!

Firox

Smash Master
Sora: Kairi!

Kairi: Sora! Help me! I'm trapped inside JCPenny inside the Shadow Realm.

Jafar: Give me the Millennium Key boy and I'll set your girlfriend free.

Sora: I don't trust you.

Jafar: Well, it looks like I'll have to trap you both in JCPenny for eternity.

LOL I was thinking along the lines of....

Sora: "Xehanort!? But...I thought we killed you...again!"

Xehanort's clone/son/grandfather (smirks menacingly): "Fool! I'll never die! Not as long as there's money to be made!"

Sora: "Give back Kairi, you shriveled up old man in a child's body!"

Xehanort's c/s/g: "Hahaha! You'll NEVER find her!" (stuffs Kairi inside a circular coat rack) ".....by the way, the portal to Agribah is in changing room 2..."

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Hyperbole maybe but not totally false. People overwhelmingly wanted the three house leaders, especially Edelgard.
I get people not wanting Byleth, but what's your source on people wanting Edelgard more than any other house leader that isn't totally anecdotal evidence? If anything, I'd expect Dimitri to be the most wanted by being the most popular lord worldwide.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom