• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

OffBi

Smash Ace
I'll just say this
Just cause I'd software said that they weren't approached for smash, doesn't mean that doomguy can't get in.
NDA exists for a reason you know.

riggsbass

Smash Apprentice
I'll just say this
Just cause I'd software said that they weren't approached for smash, doesn't mean that doomguy can't get in.
NDA exists for a reason you know.
Literally what I'm saying... they're not gonna even HINT at it but everyone wants to take everything ELSE with a grain of salt...

GENO SOON COME

Sup y'all.

Cacomallow is still real.

Thanks for listening to my TED talk, bye.
Thank u Malo Mart u the homie

If anyone wants to Geno hat my av I'll be grateful <3

Turtlar

Smash Apprentice
@JudgeHeihachi I'm not going to argue about Lloyd here. I know you really want Heihachi so I'm not going to force the issue. Still, consider this a formal thank you for the Power of Six theory. Because of you, we have a pretty good idea of what companies half of Season 2 belong to so thanks for that. We may not agree on the characters but it's going make this waiting period more bearable because we're probably not going in totally blind. Again, thank you and I'm glad we've been able to get so much mileage out of it.
I think it's fairly likely we'll see a Namco and Square character in FP2, but I'm not 100% sold on Capcom, at least on the basis of Mii costumes. Capcom absolutely houses a number of iconic series and characters that would be a great fit for Ultimate, but how can we not be sure that the two Monster Hunter costumes won't just show up in another grabbag of randomly assorted Mii costumes for an unrelated character, much like the Mega Man costumes before them.

With that said, I do hope we get another Capcom character. There's just too many great potential options to end up with none of them.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think it's fairly likely we'll see a Namco and Square character in FP2, but I'm not 100% sold on Capcom, at least on the basis of Mii costumes. Capcom absolutely houses a number of iconic series and characters that would be a great fit for Ultimate, but how can we not be sure that the two Monster Hunter costumes won't just show up in another grabbag of randomly assorted Mii costumes for an unrelated character, much like the Mega Man costumes before them.

With that said, I do hope we get another Capcom character. There's just too many great potential options to end up with none of them.
My whole thing on Capcom is taking things at face value.

-Kamiya point blank did a poll in December 2018 asking which of his characters most people wanted to see in Smash. Dante wins in a landslide.

-Capcom officially responded in February, fully entertains the idea of Dante in Smash but basically tells Nintendo fans "buy our **** first."

-Capcom starts putting DMC games on Switch around E3 2019. Nintendo fans do, indeed "buy that ****."

-Has more games planned and is even making the DMC III Switch edition have exclusive content.

I think it's happening. The timeline is reeeeeally similar to what happened to Bayonetta. If Dante gets goofy Nintendo **** in any of the upcoming games like Bayo did, I think it's GG right then and there. Strong Smash interest plus super in your face Nintendo cameos is usually a knock out punch but we'll see.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
@JudgeHeihachi I'm not going to argue about Lloyd here. I know you really want Heihachi so I'm not going to force the issue. Still, consider this a formal thank you for the Power of Six theory. Because of you, we have a pretty good idea of what companies half of Season 2 belong to so thanks for that. We may not agree on the characters but it's going make this waiting period more bearable because we're probably not going in totally blind. Again, thank you and I'm glad we've been able to get so much mileage out of it.
Wait, I missed it, which companies are we expecting for FP2? I'm obviously thinking that SE has got a least one of the slots. Capcom has a good shot too. Who else?

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

-Kamiya point blank did a poll in December 2018 asking which of his characters most people wanted to see in Smash. Dante wins in a landslide.

-Capcom officially responded in February, fully entertains the idea of Dante in Smash but basically tells Nintendo fans "buy our **** first."

-Capcom starts putting DMC games on Switch around E3 2019. Nintendo fans do, indeed "buy that ****."

-Has more games planned and is even making the DMC III Switch edition have exclusive content.

I think it's happening. The timeline is reeeeeally similar to what happened to Bayonetta. If Dante gets goofy Nintendo **** in any of the upcoming games like Bayo did, I think it's GG right then and there. Strong Smash interest plus super in your face Nintendo cameos is usually a knock out punch but we'll see.
They do have two more Switch-exclusive announcements for DMC3 coming up

Turtlar

Smash Apprentice

I definitely agree with your last point. Any Nintendo cameos in DMC3 on Switch would make me convinced of Dante probably joining Ultimate. I suppose we'll have to wait and see then.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I almost think Dante is too obvious, but if it does end up being him then I respect that decision and think he'll be a lot of fun. I definitely do believe that a Capcom character is coming in any case, there are far too many great Capcom series not in Smash yet for them to limit them to two franchises. My number one pick would be Morrigan but I'm not getting my hopes up there lmao.

As for Namco I kind of feel similarly like, there's a gut feeling telling me that neither Heihachi or Lloyd is happening, in favor of something like either a Dark Souls character or KOSMOS. Then SE I feel like if anyone else gets in it's gonna be Geno and that's a fairly safe bet, considering I don't think Sora is particularly likely.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Wait, I missed it, which companies are we expecting for FP2? I'm obviously thinking that SE has got a least one of the slots. Capcom has a good shot too. Who else?
Namco-Bandai seems pretty likely (Square-Enix, Namco-Bandai, and Capcom are all missing Mii costumes that were in Smash 4, and Namco-Bandai only has one character in Smash Ultimate despite helping to develop the game, as was pointed out in the Terry presentation), and there's probably going to be at least one Nintendo character in there if previous DLC is any indication.

Firox

Smash Master
Namco-Bandai seems pretty likely (Square-Enix, Namco-Bandai, and Capcom are all missing Mii costumes that were in Smash 4, and Namco-Bandai only has one character in Smash Ultimate despite helping to develop the game, as was pointed out in the Terry presentation), and there's probably going to be at least one Nintendo character in there if previous DLC is any indication.
Yeah, this seems pretty legit. To be honest, I think I'd be pretty stoked for another Nintendo character as long as we get a rep from those three companies as well. Fingers crossed for Geno!

Turtlar

Smash Apprentice
If I had to guess at the composition of FP2, I think it's going to fall along these lines.

1 Namco character
1 Square character
1 Capcom character (maybe)
1 Nintendo character
1-2 Western character(s)
1 ??? character

Namco - Lloyd and Heihachi seem like the obvious choices, but it could just as easily be KOS MOS or a Dark Souls rep. I have no attachment really to any of them, but I think KOS MOS could prove most interesting in terms of moveset potential. Not to mention she could give Xenoblade fans some degree of satisfaction after the Rex snub.

Square - Probably Geno. Definitely Geno. Please God let it be Geno. Other potential characters would be Lara Croft or maybe Sora.

Capcom - Like I said above, I'm not 100% convinced on a Capcom rep, but it's probably Dante or bust. Personally, I would love to have Arthur or Firebrand from Ghosts & Goblins and Gargoyle's Quest, respectively, but that'll never happen.

Nintendo - INTRODUCING SO AND SO FROM THE FIRE EMBLEM SERIES. In all seriousness though, it's either going to be from Pokemon, FE, BotW2, or Waluigi. I would LOVE to see Dixie Kong, but I don't think she has much of a shot.

West - Banjo broke a huge barrier, so it could be any number of characters. Doomguy, Shantae, Crash, Master Chief, Steve, Rayman, etc. I would be happy with any of them (except Steve), but I'm really hoping to see Doomguy, Shantae, and/or more Rareware characters.

??? - It could be another curveball like Terry, or a predictable character like Hayabusa. You just never know with Sakurai.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
My current theory based on past precedent and Power of Six:

1 Nintendo (all DLC seasons have had at least one Nintendo character)

1 Capcom (Power of Six, Capcom is being less than subtle about Dante)

1 Namco (Power of Six, STILL no second rep despite making the last two Smash games)

1 Square (Power of Six, except Namco, all the "BIG" Japanese companies involved since at least Smash 4 have three reps)

At least one Western (Banjo is right now the only true Western character, there's no way in hell that's staying)

At least one new company to Smash (pretty much a given. Smash 4 DLC had Square and Ultimate had Microsoft and SNK)

Those are my basic thoughts.

Dukefire

Smash Master
For the next Indie Mii Costume (I predict), might be The Knight from Hollow Knight.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
The new company for DLC is obviously going to be Humongous/Tommo/Atari:

Agent Fox Spies into Smash!

MattX20

Smash Hero

1 Namco (Power of Six, STILL no second rep despite making the last two Smash games)

1 Square (Power of Six, except Namco, all the "BIG" Japanese companies involved since at least Smash 4 have three reps)

At least one Western (Banjo is right now the only true Western character, there's no way in hell that's staying)

At least one new company to Smash (pretty much a given. Smash 4 DLC had Square and Ultimate had Microsoft and SNK)

Koei Tecmo, Level 5, and Arc System Works are the companies I'm keeping my eyes on frankly as far as potential new companies to get a fighter for Smash

pinshadow

Smash Lord
So I was writing up my thoughts and predictions for pass 2 and when I got to Geno, I had a pretty major epiphany that's honestly boosted my thoughts on Geno getting in considerably.

One of the main arguments against Geno I've seen getting thrown around is this idea that Square/Nintendo would throw in other Square franchises/characters first. I mean, it makes sense, Square might just want to throw in someone from Nier, or World Ends With You, or Bravely Default instead right? I was going to mention them as likely possibilities instead of Geno when my brain suddenly thought back to last year and the whole Seven Squares fiasco and stuff clicked into place. Let's look back at the list.
  • Sora
  • Geno
  • Crono
  • Sephiroth
  • Erdrick
  • Luminary
  • Slime
These are all the characters that had been heard being thrown around Nintendo for Square DLC. No 2B, no Neku, no Bravely Default, these are the characters that seemed to be on the table in terms of Smash DLC. Fast Forward to sometime in early-mid 2019 and Pass 2 DLC starts being decided. Are Square and Nintendo going to suddenly say "ok actually, we want to negotiate about all these other characters instead" even though they didn't seem interested less than a year before? I don't think so. Looking at who's left on the list once the DQ stuff is off, we have
  • Sephiroth, who I don't see getting in period, given Square's crazy rationing of Final Fantasy Content and the fact that Cloud was apparently the hardest character to get back anyway. Plus the idea that no third-party franchise has no more than one character that isn't an echo, and I'm throwing Sephiroth out.
  • Crono, who felt more like leakbait for the Dragon Quest stuff anyway, but even if we assume he isn't I don't see him getting in. He's from a franchise that hasn't had a proper game in over 20 years and that Sqaure seems to want nothing to do with, and isn't really highly requested for Smash either, sorry Crono.
  • Sora, who seems to be stuck in licensing hell. He's easily one of the top 5, possibly top 3 most requested characters for Smash, but while I'm not writing him out, I don't see it happening, and I think we would know if he was.
And that leaves us with the G-Man himself, who
  • Has been one of the top requested characters for Smash for the last several years, and has been heavily requested since before Brawl
  • Sakurai has already expressed his interest in making him a fighter
  • He, along with Mallow, are the only other Square characters represented in the game that aren't from Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, and Final Fantasy got literally NOTHING. His rights are already negotiated.
  • Suspiciously had his Mii Costume, along with Chocobo, not be released with Hero even though every other pack so far has released with 2 returning costumes, and nothing replaced them.
  • Would be among the first characters decided for Pass 2 due to these circumstances, already being negotiated, which explains why, even if the pass wasn't finalized until November, his Mii Costume moved from Hero to some other point in time, and not be replaced.
  • Hell, if Geno was one of the first characters deciced, it also serves to explain certain other things, like the Music Copyrights being taken down as early as May-June and the Mii Costume list having the Mallow and Smithy costumes that far in advance.
So yea, taking all this into account, I'm changing my opinion of Geno from "might happen" to "I think he's actually happening", and if he is, he is coming sooner rather than later. I can honestly see him being 6 at this point, at the latest 8. He's not an E3 level reveal in my eyes but I think he's the perfect character to start the pass off strong.

Firox

Smash Master
So I was writing up my thoughts and predictions for pass 2 and when I got to Geno, I had a pretty major epiphany that's honestly boosted my thoughts on Geno getting in considerably.

One of the main arguments against Geno I've seen getting thrown around is this idea that Square/Nintendo would throw in other Square franchises/characters first. I mean, it makes sense, Square might just want to throw in someone from Nier, or World Ends With You, or Bravely Default instead right? I was going to mention them as likely possibilities instead of Geno when my brain suddenly thought back to last year and the whole Seven Squares fiasco and stuff clicked into place. Let's look back at the list.
  • Sora
  • Geno
  • Crono
  • Sephiroth
  • Erdrick
  • Luminary
  • Slime
These are all the characters that had been heard being thrown around Nintendo for Square DLC. No 2B, no Neku, no Bravely Default, these are the characters that seemed to be on the table in terms of Smash DLC. Fast Forward to sometime in early-mid 2019 and Pass 2 DLC starts being decided. Are Square and Nintendo going to suddenly say "ok actually, we want to negotiate about all these other characters instead" even though they didn't seem interested less than a year before? I don't think so. Looking at who's left on the list once the DQ stuff is off, we have
  • Sephiroth, who I don't see getting in period, given Square's crazy rationing of Final Fantasy Content and the fact that Cloud was apparently the hardest character to get back anyway. Plus the idea that no third-party franchise has no more than one character that isn't an echo, and I'm throwing Sephiroth out.
  • Crono, who felt more like leakbait for the Dragon Quest stuff anyway, but even if we assume he isn't I don't see him getting in. He's from a franchise that hasn't had a proper game in over 20 years and that Sqaure seems to want nothing to do with, and isn't really highly requested for Smash either, sorry Crono.
  • Sora, who seems to be stuck in licensing hell. He's easily one of the top 5, possibly top 3 most requested characters for Smash, but while I'm not writing him out, I don't see it happening, and I think we would know if he was.
  • Has been one of the top requested characters for Smash for the last several years, and has been heavily requested since before Brawl
  • He, along with Mallow, are the only other Square characters represented in the game that aren't from Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, and Final Fantasy got literally NOTHING. His rights are already negotiated.
  • Suspiciously had his Mii Costume, along with Chocobo, not be released with Hero even though every other pack so far has released with 2 returning costumes, and nothing replaced them.
  • Would be among the first characters decided for Pass 2 due to these circumstances, already being negotiated, which explains why, even if the pass wasn't finalized until November, his Mii Costume moved from Hero to some other point in time, and not be replaced.
  • Hell, if Geno was one of the first characters deciced, it also serves to explain certain other things, like the Music Copyrights being taken down as early as May-June and the Mii Costume list having the Mallow and Smithy costumes that far in advance.
So yea, taking all this into account, I'm changing my opinion of Geno from "might happen" to "I think he's actually happening", and if he is, he is coming sooner rather than later. I can honestly see him being 6 at this point, at the latest 8. He's not an E3 level reveal in my eyes but I think he's the perfect character to start the pass off strong.
You know, running with this, I also thought of something else that makes sense. With regards to 3rd party DLC characters, 3/4 of them came with at least 4 costumes pertaining to their franchise/company (Banjo being the exception). Now, if Geno gets in as a playable character, and assuming the mii costume leak is legit, then Mallow, Smithy and Chocobo make at least three. If they were to drop the old Geno Mii costume for the heck of it, that would make four. They could even add a Boshi or Croco hat for the fourth as well. In short, the mii costume leak combined with the current absence of Geno's costume makes for an awesome fit of the puzzle pieces.

Also, in my opinion, I still think he'll be fighter #7. It fits too perfectly with the 7 stars theme, and as much fan demand as he has, I think there are other 3rd party characters that would probably blow the doors off FP2 better than Geno could. 7 just feels right to me.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
At least Sakurai has good taste then, mamma mia.
Your post made me think of Cooking Mama. That'd be a fun silly one. And the series is still going strong, though I haven't heard it talked too much about.

I feel like 100 characters warrants some great inclusions that were wanted. So to me Geno and Bandana Dee would be like icing on this great cake.
(I sill want some kind of great unique female character too though)

Firox

Smash Master
If spirits do deconfirm characters then I am willing to bet that Geno will be the ONLY exception.
Wouldn't surprise me. It's important for people to realize that Geno is in a very unique position compared to any other Spirit, AT or Mii costume. He has several leaks in his favor, has/had significant fan demand, has gotten several nods from Sakurai himself including being the only mii costume with its own splash screen, and the way timing has come into play only helps him more.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Rabbids spirits in the base game?
Good point. I guess them getting in as Miis was inevitable. I'm sure Sakurai would make Geno the exception to this rule. He has to know how important that character is to a large portion of the Smash community.

Last edited:

LipeCau

Smash Cadet

• Sora
  • Geno
  • Crono
  • Sephiroth
  • Erdrick
  • Luminary
  • Slime
I would absolutely love to have Crono in, it's one of, if not, the best RPG of all time. And even though I'm not a KH fan, it would be pretty amazing to have Sora in.
But if there's any trend happening for characters, is that the "impossible" and highly requested are getting in. All other theories are being debunked as news come, this is the only one standing. Hell, we got freaking Banjo. Geno is the only one missing. He had a costume that is nowhere to be seen. I'm pretty confident he'll be *at least* a better costume with music, but the more time passes, the more I think there's a character slot for him.
On that note, if we get Heihachi and/or Lloyd, I believe 100% Geno is in.

Good point. I guess them getting in as Miis was inevitable. I'm sure Sakurai would make Geno the exception to this rule. He has to know how important that character is to a large portion of the Smash community.
I'm pretty sure if there's ever an upgrade, Geno will be the one, his spirit fight has no proper music and is represented by Sheik. It could easily be a returning costume with Beware of the Forest Moshrooms.
Also, if we didn't have a Geno Spirit it would be too obvious, maybe they didn't have the licensing all figured out, maybe they have a logic for the order. Who knows.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
This simply cannot be understated. This was the only pack that didn’t have 2 returning mii costumes added back. There is no valid reason for this. They have 2 easy choices literally from the company that they could have added. They aren’t “saving” the Geno mii costume for another Square character. That wouldn’t make any sense at all.

LADS

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
The reason I ask is this....
Well, no matter if you like the inclusion of Byleth or not, it is pretty clear that it was a promotional pick (the last wave of DLC for Three Houses got a trailer directly afterward. The said on the Japan Time podcast that in one of the versions (I can¨t remember which one) they even went so far to show the trailer after the presentation during the stream. And while Fire Emblem might be bigger than ever, it certainly does not need Smash Bros to advertise it, like it did during Brawl and Melee.

What game comes out later this year? That¨s right, the Final Fantasy 7 remake. Yes, it does not need any promotional help like Fire Emblem, but if they promote FE, what stops to promote FF/ remake? As much I hate to say it, but adding someone like Sepiroth would be a big deal to add no matter if we like it or not.

It could explain why there is still no Geno costume and especially Chocobo costume return.

And yes, to top it all off. We have Rabbids, that got spirits but did not end up as characters, but Mii Costumes.

I certainly hope that Geno ain¨t a Mii Costume (if he is, please be a Sans/Cuphead styled one)... but.... I can, unfortunately, see this as a potential scenario.

Last edited:

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman

Using that template, I see this:

Nintendo- Waluigi or a Pokémon rep

Capcom- Dante, Phoenix Wright, Monster Hunter, Arthur, or Viewtiful Joe

Bandai Namco- Heihachi, Lloyd Irving, KOS-MOS, or Klonoa

Square Enix- Geno or Sora

Western pick- Doom Slayer or Dovahkiin

Unrepresented company pick- Travis Touchdown or Reimu

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
The reason I ask is this....
Well, no matter if you like the inclusion of Byleth or not, it is pretty clear that it was a promotional pick (the last wave of DLC for Three Houses got a trailer directly afterward. The said on the Japan Time podcast that in one of the versions (I can¨t remember which one) they even went so far to show the trailer after the presentation during the stream. And while Fire Emblem might be bigger than ever, it certainly does not need Smash Bros to advertise it, like it did during Brawl and Melee.

What game comes out later this year? That¨s right, the Final Fantasy 7 remake. Yes, it does not need any promotional help like Fire Emblem, but if they promote FE, what stops to promote FF/ remake? As much I hate to say it, but adding someone like Sepiroth would be a big deal to add no matter if we like it or not.

It could explain why there is still no Geno costume and especially Chocobo costume return.

And yes, to top it all off. We have Rabbids, that got spirits but did not end up as characters, but Mii Costumes.

I certainly hope that Geno ain¨t a Mii Costume (if he is, please be a Sans/Cuphead styled one)... but.... I can, unfortunately, see this as a potential scenario.
If Geno ends up getting the Sans and Cuphead treatment, and instead we get someone AS ****ING AWESOME AS Sephiroth. I STILL won't have one complaint. I love Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy!! So seeing Sephiroth make it in this game would blow my mind, personally. Maybe more so than Geno.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If spirits do deconfirm characters then I am willing to bet that Geno will be the ONLY exception.
With only 6/7 characters left, the number of potential promotions was always going to be small anyways. That's why I've had the same mentality since the summer: at most we'll get three, if that. That's why I'm leaning hard on ONE assist trophy promotion, ONE spirit promotion, and ONE costume promotion and, for the sake of "fairness", each will probably be from a different company.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Rabbids from the Rabbids series were also separate worlds from the Mario + Rabbids world. The first one is, as I said, the Rabbids series. The second one fell under the Super Mario series. So there is a difference between them.

I wouldn't put anything into this at all for meaning something. We could get regular Rabbids Spirits down the line too, for example. I'm just surprised they were Hoods only. I was expecting a full body suit that could have different easy weapons(blasters from Mario + Rabbids, and the Plunger for swordfighter. Brawler needs no weapon).

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
If Geno ends up getting the Sans and Cuphead treatment, and instead we get someone AS ****ING AWESOME AS Sephiroth. I STILL won't have one complaint. I love Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy!! So seeing Sephiroth make it in this game would blow my mind, personally. Maybe more so than Geno.
I'd rather have Sora over Sephiroth. Final Fantasy already has representation. Give it to another series.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Rabbids from the Rabbids series were also separate worlds from the Mario + Rabbids world. The first one is, as I said, the Rabbids series. The second one fell under the Super Mario series. So there is a difference between them.
Good point. I still argue that the rest of the points is unfortunately something to keep in mind, but you are right about that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom