• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoyMan

Smash Cadet
Since we are sort of on the topic of alternate Geno costumes, now seems like a good time to repost these that I made about a year ago.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
User was warned for this post, please stay on topic
If you had to choose 6 more premium indie mii costumes what would you pick?

Freddy Fazbear/Foxy/The Puppet/ All?
Hollow Knight
Hat Kid
Monika
Shovel Knight: Mii Costume version
Mae Borowski

volbound1700

Smash Master
I still think CacoMallow is real and I believe that Doom Guy and Geno are coming this year. I hope that I am right.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
Guys, this is probably gonna send a lot of hate towards me, but...
What if Sakurai had to choose between Waluigi and Geno?
What if he ends up mixing the Super Mario content in one DLC pack, choosing Waluigi as the fighter, while giving Geno an upgraded Mii costume with Forest Maze as a stage, and a number of SMRPG tracks?

This... is one of many possibilities I've been thinking of, like Sakurai could absolutely ignore Waluigi for Geno if he wanted.
But... is any one of you ready for the possibility of having Geno, returning as an upgraded Mii costume because of Stingy Enix?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
What if he ends up mixing the Super Mario content in one DLC pack, choosing Waluigi as the fighter, while giving Geno an upgraded Mii costume with Forest Maze as a stage, and a number of SMRPG tracks?

This... is one of many possibilities I've been thinking of, like Sakurai could absolutely ignore Waluigi for Geno if he wanted.
But... is any one of you ready for the possibility of having Geno, returning as an upgraded Mii costume because of Stingy Enix?
Doubt it, mainly because a stingy Square Enix wouldn't give him that.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613

Hollow Knight
Hat Kid
Monika
Mae Borowski
Bomberman, if non-Indies are allowed. That is all.
unless he gets to be a playable character, then i take that back

My bias might be speaking loud, but I feel like both characters are too big of a deal to ignore. Sakurai will realize a Mii Costume wouldn't cut it for them, I hope. I can't see Square objecting to playable Geno either at this point, especially now after their two colossally huge franchises are in Smash.

Also it'd feel so weird to have SMRPG content with Waluigi. He's from the same franchise as that game, yet he's very far removed from it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

User was warned for this post, please stay on topic

Hollow Knight
Hat Kid
Monika
Mae Borowski
I bet Hollow Knight would be a costume.

D

Deleted member

I don't think people understand this exercise. I'm naming six sans type mii costumes of indie characters, not people getting in the game.
I honestly do not care picking the 6 costumes. I’m just sayin this as a prediction, not trying to play your game.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
In the latest Smash news...

This is certainly an interesting development. I do wonder how this is going to influence Smash speculation now that we know ArkSys is for sure involved, but a rep from them has little influence on Geno's chances, so it ain't worth going into to much detail here.

It does touch back into my weird desire for an ArkSys Mario fighting game though.
Welp. So much for Kunio-Kun or the River City Girls, then.

Arc is still on the table, also. Seems like the dev team are adding quite a bit of spirit events. We might get more in the future, so deconfirmations don't have to necessarily be just no character announced but spirits showing up THIS LATE in the DLC run.

:bowser:.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
Since we are sort of on the topic of alternate Geno costumes, now seems like a good time to repost these that I made about a year ago.
These look great. I'd prefer it if Sakurai gave more variance in Geno's Wood/Wood Finish, especially a birch like one for the mallow Alt.

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
I still think CacoMallow is real and I believe that Doom Guy and Geno are coming this year. I hope that I am right.
I hope so aswell, only as of recent im starting to have doubts on Doom Guy. My recent theories/predictions are that the Cacodemon costume is similar to Altair in that its for representation.

I found it odd that they would be working on multiple characters at once (Assuming Doomguy and Geno were playable because of Cacomallow), and Geno is highly requested so I figured it would be Geno, coming with Mallow/Smithy costumes, +Geno costume +Chocobo hat and Cacodemon costume to top it off. Or they could replace the Geno costume with an indie rep (as we've been seeing that trend recently)

Either way, im about 90 percent sure Geno is playable. I always have doubts with myself, but everything is lining up so perfectly. If that Crash leak is right, (The guy who called Byleth in October), that only adds more towards Geno because I remember someone came out with that mii costume list (with smithy and mallow) saying Crash will be playable.

-Mallow mii costume
-2 Square Enix songs taken down
-Rumors of Geno November 2018
-Missing mii costume (This seems small, but its HUGE in the grand scheme of things. Why would they add sega mii costumes back with Joker but not Square Enix costumes back with Hero?)

Surely all of this isn't coincidental.

Last edited:

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
They started Joker, Hero, and Banjo all around the same time so it makes sense.
I mean I can see them planning them out at the same time, but not developing every character at the same time (for instance, They probably worked on Joker, then moved to Hero, then Banjo, etc)

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
So this just came out about Doomslayer

https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/21/doom-eternal-preview-interview-chess-arcade-shooter-12095644/

This is as recent as yesterday.

I'll be honest. I think CacoMallow was real, but I think Geno is just going to be a Mii Deluxe costume with a song. I'm losing faith he's going to be a fighter

:/
Saw this recently and while it could be an elaborate way to avoid breaking NDA, it could also just mean that Doomguy isn't coming and that Cacomallow was indeed fake all along. I hate everything.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/21/doom-eternal-preview-interview-chess-arcade-shooter-12095644/

I'll be honest. I think CacoMallow was real, but I think Geno is just going to be a Mii Deluxe costume with a song. I'm losing faith he's going to be a fighter

Was just about to come to this thread to talk about this.

This is pretty heart breaking as a Doomslayer fan and pretty worrying as Geno fan. This interview is pretty much a lethal blow to Doomguy. If they were under NDA, I don't think they would talk about the fact that they asked about putting Doom Slayer in the game.

But this is also pretty big blow for Cacomallow. Higher ups at ID Software would 100% be aware of the fact that there is doom content in Smash. If they were never contacted, then the costume is likely not in the game.

I think the only thing Geno has left is that mii costume list leak. It does look a little better now that someone who said Byleth was 5 also said Crash was 6, but I think MandyCan is just one of those people who did the good old deleted tweet trick. We'll see though, keep expectations in check.

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
Saw this recently and while it could be an elaborate way to avoid breaking NDA, it could also just mean that Doomguy isn't coming and that Cacomallow was indeed fake all along. I hate everything.
I could see this meaning a mii costume over a playable fighter by "Nothing Serious".

Personally I think Doomguy isn't playable, but a mii costume representing doom is coming, so even if doom guy isn't coming that doesn't mean Cacomallow is fake. Also-
I don’t think Cacomallow has any bearing on Geno’s chances, there’s still that other Mii list + his own costume is still gone.
I agree with this aswell. Even if Cacomallow is fake (which I doubt) it still isn't disconfirming Geno.

(Best Case Scenario, they are pulling a Grant Kirkhope and they are avoiding breaking NDA)

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace

tbh This really just could be a way to dodge NDA. Keep in mind, even after composing music for Banjo's Smash appearance, Grant Kirkhope still heavily implied Banjo wasn't coming to Smash. People try to dodge NDA all the time and even lie to do so.
Also, how does this in any way imply Geno is a deluxe Mii Costume? Like, at the drop of a hat, all of you seem to think he's deconfirmed just because one bad thing happened. They've only been doing the deluxe thing for indies, not to mention it'd have to come with two songs and we've gotten one with both deluxe costumes so far. This means little to nothing for Geno.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Oh boy, can't wait for the tommorrow to be nothing but "DOOMGUY DECONFIRMED, SUCK IT DOOMFANS" everywhere. People act like it's certain fanbases that are toxic but really it is this general subset of people, regardless of who they want, who see every other character as an "obstacle" to whoever they want in, and take every instance like this and laugh it up.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Oh boy, can't wait for the tommorrow to be nothing but "DOOMGUY DECONFIRMED, SUCK IT DOOMFANS" everywhere. People act like it's certain fanbases that are toxic but really it is this general subset of people, regardless of who they want, who see every other character as an "obstacle" to whoever they want in, and take every instance like this and laugh it up.
It's already happening on Papa Geno's server and it'll be all over 4chan tomorrow. Nothing to do but take it in stride, I guess.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
This does feel really..... dodgy to me. Like very weaseling around the question, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was just NDA talk. Honestly, makes me consider Doomguy just a little bit more likely, if anything.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
Still maintaining that Geno is in, looks now like FP 6-8. The Mii costumes with music are for indie games not SMRPG/Paper Mario. I know everyone is apprehensive and afraid of getting let down but just keep the faith, it’s going to be awesome when it finally comes!

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
Doomguy's "high chances" always seemed like a fanmade thing to me, just like how Shadow was a "hard lock as an echo" during the leadup to the basegame. I really think Banjo is gonna be the only western made character added as DLC, and he's a very special circumstance.

I feel like Geno is gonna be an E3 reveal. Either this year or next.

MisterMike

Smash Champion

Yeah, I'm not seeing how this disconfirms Doomguy really. A lot of this reply very much reads like something someone would say under an NDA. Notice how he doesn't definitively give a yes or no answer regarding Doomguy being in Smash or not? He says they've asked about it, and sort of implies that not much came of it, but he never outright says no. Grant Kirkhope said similar things with regards to Banjo in Smash, such as that they'll get in "When pigs fly." or telling people "I wouldn't hold your breath." about them getting in. Dismissive, yes, but not a clear yes or no answer.

Compare that to when Hidaki Itsuno was asked about Dante getting in Smash, where he definitively shot it down by stating that Dante should be on Nintendo consoles first. He gave what can be seen as a pretty definitive answer on the matter: Dante didn't have a game on Nintendo consoles at this time, so he's not getting in Smash just yet. There's also Suda outright disconfirming Travis Touchdown at the beginning of a livestream he was having.

And as for Geno being a Deluxe Mii Costume... yeah, I really doubt they'd do that.
First off, we've yet to see an older costume get an upgrade, and I honestly don't know why they'd go that route with an older costume to begin with. Also, I'm of the opinion that this whole "Deluxe Mii Costume" thing we've seen with Sans and Cuphead is only going to be used for indie characters. It very much seems like they're doing it this way so they can at least get these characters in the game in some way, since it's pretty unlikely someone like Yooka & Laylee would get into Smash as a fighter, especially given they've already planned out all of the DLC fighters ahead of time.

Second, I know a lot of people like to act as though Sakurai is incredibly tone-deaf when it comes to what the community wants, but I honestly don't think so. I mean, the dude at the very least knew that many people would be upset over Byleth. That to me says that he's a bit more in-tune with what the fans want than we often think, even if he ends up making decisions that not everyone ends up liking. With regards to Geno, he's well aware of how popular the character is among boomers older fans. With regards to Ultimate, he's already done an amazing job at fulfilling many long time fighter requests. So I have a hard time believing that he'd decide to do this weird halfway thing and make him an upgraded costume instead.

Third, why would you not include the Mii Costume with the one fighter that it would make the most sense to bring it back with, only to upgrade it and release it later at some random time? What sense would that make? Why not just port over and release the old costume? It would make no sense, especially since all that effort that would've went into upgrading that one costume could've gone into making a new costume (with music track) based on something or someone entirely new.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm not seeing how this disconfirms Doomguy really. A lot of this reply very much reads like something someone would say under an NDA. Notice how he doesn't definitively give a yes or no answer regarding Doomguy being in Smash or not? He says they've asked about it, and sort of implies that not much came of it, but he never outright says no. Grant Kirkhope said similar things with regards to Banjo in Smash, such as that they'll get in "When pigs fly." or telling people "I wouldn't hold your breath." about them getting in. Dismissive, yes, but not a clear yes or no answer.

Compare that to when Hidaki Itsuno was asked about Dante getting in Smash, where he definitively shot it down by stating that Dante should be on Nintendo consoles first. He gave what can be seen as a pretty definitive answer on the matter: Dante didn't have a game on Nintendo consoles at this time, so he's not getting in Smash just yet. There's also Suda outright disconfirming Travis Touchdown at the beginning of a livestream he was having.

And as for Geno being a Deluxe Mii Costume... yeah, I really doubt they'd do that.
First off, we've yet to see an older costume get an upgrade, and I honestly don't know why they'd go that route with an older costume to begin with. Also, I'm of the opinion that this whole "Deluxe Mii Costume" thing we've seen with Sans and Cuphead is only going to be used for indie characters. It very much seems like they're doing it this way so they can at least get these characters in the game in some way, since it's pretty unlikely someone like Yooka & Laylee would get into Smash as a fighter, especially given they've already planned out all of the DLC fighters ahead of time.

Second, I know a lot of people like to act as though Sakurai is incredibly tone-deaf when it comes to what the community wants, but I honestly don't think so. I mean, the dude at the very least knew that many people would be upset over Byleth. That to me says that he's a bit more in-tune with what the fans want than we often think, even if he ends up making decisions that not everyone ends up liking. With regards to Geno, he's well aware of how popular the character is among boomers older fans. With regards to Ultimate, he's already done an amazing job at fulfilling many long time fighter requests. So I have a hard time believing that he'd decide to do this weird halfway thing and make him an upgraded costume instead.

Third, why would you not include the Mii Costume with the one fighter that it would make the most sense to bring it back with, only to upgrade it and release it later at some random time? What sense would that make? Why not just port over and release the old costume? It would make no sense, especially since all that effort that would've went into upgrading that one costume could've gone into making a new costume (with music track) based on something or someone entirely new.
Kojima wasn't breaking NDA when he said this

https://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/14/kojima-open-to-snake-returning-in-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u

Don't assume developers are lying because they are under NDA, there have plenty of times where they were straight up honest about a character being in Smash.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Kojima wasn't breaking NDA when he said this

https://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/14/kojima-open-to-snake-returning-in-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u

Don't assume developers are lying because they are under NDA, there have plenty of times where they were straight up honest about a character being in Smash.
I'm not saying they're lying, I'm saying they're not giving a definitive yes or no answer. Kojima saying that he has no control over Snake being used in Smash 4 isn't comparable to this whatsoever.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
To add on to this, even if they couldn't (for whatever reason) bring Geno's costume back with Hero, why would they not have brought it back with Banjo or Byleth's hodgepodge of Mii costumes when they easily could have?

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

I don't really see how this impacts Geno in the slightest other than the fact that Cacomallow may not be real much less pointing to Geno being a costume. That second part is a huge reach. Also, remember when Grant Kirkhope said he didn't know anything about BK in Smash even while producing music for BK in SSBU?

Honestly it's felt so bizarre the past few days seeing people say that people are losing faith about Geno or that he doesn't work as a full pass character and if he got in would have been bonus DLC with songs and no stage or spirits. Like, what? Literally nothing bad has happened for Geno's chances. If anything Byleth showed Nintendo is willing to add characters in FPs from franchises that have appeared in Smash before. It's just wild to me that people are more pessimistic now than after Hero got revealed at E3 but before we found out Geno's costume wasn't coming back.

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Yeah, I'm not jumping on the Doomguy deconfirmed bandwagon either. Marty Stratton's words in that snippet of the interview fit what I'd expect from someone under an NDA to a T. Is it possible that his dismissive attitude really does mean Doomguy isn't coming to Smash? Of course, but his answer was still pretty ambiguous and inconclusive the way I see it. Unless something more definitive happens, Doomguy's on the running as far as I'm concerned.

And this goes without saying, but that shouldn't matter to Geno's chances any way you slice it, obviously. Even IF the Mii Costume leak/Cacomallow are fake, Geno still has plenty going for him and just has a great shot overall imo, only difference is that he won't be joined by his marine buddy.
not gonna lie, that'd still be a bummer, though...

Heoj

Smash Ace
I mean, when i reaad the article it did sound pretty bad for doomslayer and geno however upon thinking about it i really dont think it means cacomallow is fake, and im still really damn confident in genos chances

RingJ5

Smash Ace
That recent interview has put me heavily on the side of Cacomallow/Doomguy being fake, especially if it turns out that Crash actually is FP6. The idea that they’d already have functioning Mii Costumes for 7 and 8 as far back as November just doesn’t add up for me.

At the same time, however, the original Mii Costume leak that had Mallow/Smithy on it still totally stands, and especially since that same source also said that Crash was happening(albeit for #5), I think Geno’s chances are still pretty incredible.

T2by4

Smash Lord
That recent interview has put me heavily on the side of Cacomallow/Doomguy being fake, especially if it turns out that Crash actually is FP6. The idea that they’d already have functioning Mii Costumes for 7 and 8 as far back as November just doesn’t add up for me.

At the same time, however, the original Mii Costume leak that had Mallow/Smithy on it still totally stands, and especially since that same source also said that Crash was happening(albeit for #5), I think Geno’s chances are still pretty incredible.
I totally forgot about that. What if Crash actually is #6 and they just got it mixed up/nintendo swapped fighters?

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I totally forgot about that. What if Crash actually is #6 and they just got it mixed up/nintendo swapped fighters?
That’s what I’m currently leaning towards. It would certainly make sense to hear that Crash is in active development and just assume it’s #5, especially with how inexplicably secretive(and particularly underwhelming) the real #5 was. As we currently have both a pretty damn credible source(Mii Costume leaker) and a less-credible-yet-particularly-interesting one(MandyCan) saying Crash, I’m pretty inclined to believe it, and Crash getting in would give a lot more relevance to the Mii Costume leak itself.

At the same time, however, as things get further and further away from the leak’s original date without either showing up, Cacomallow becomes less and less likely, especially if an entirely separate character shows up as #6.

Crash would also inexplicably line up with my very weird Mirror Theory in a strange way, being a known “Playstation” character not owned by Sony, which Joker also lines up with. Watch as the rest are a JRPG protagonist, Geno(to cover the same long-awaited request niche that Banjo did), a fighting game character with command inputs, a marketing rep, and... well, who knows for the last one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom