• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heoj

Smash Ace
It would be sooo weird for the costume to come back after FP1 or not at all, like... he KNOWS the support for the character. Even said he wanted him playable as well as we do at one point.
Well yeh, i mean i do thin that the most likely scenario is genos gets fully upgraded but thats just my opinion.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
There is literally no evidence to suggest 6 is coming soon and actually a ton of evidence that it’s going to be a long time until it is revealed. I’m not sure how anyone is coming to that conclusion.

Except he didn't say "long time". He said "some time". It could be next month it might be a couple. The reality is Byleth was done in November, and S2 was locked in this summer. Those characters have already begun development awhile ago. At most they're finishing up cgi trailers and whatnot.

Also, just like I thought, the second Fighter pass comes with stages and music, which is another heavy hit against Geno’s chances. Be realistic here, how actually likely is a Super Mario RPG stage? Not likely at all. Same goes for Waluigi.

You're saying this after a FE character, a series that is arguably over-represented in this game and is a first party franchise, received not only a stage, but a spirit board and 11 pieces of music? How does SMRPG have less of a chance at getting a stage and music than anything else at this point? Does this actually make logical sense to you?

I think at this point Smash’s DLC just really isn’t meant for me. Tired of holding out hope and clinging to “theories” and “rumors” only for a big bang like Byleth to not only spiral the fanbase out of control but confirm that the second Fighter Pass is just as ill-suited for Geno as the first one was.

My confidence is going down with each passing day.
My man are you having a mental breakdown or something? The fanbase isn't "out of control". They reacted negatively to an unpopular decision. What does Byleth, a character decided on for FP1, have any effect on FP2? If anything 6 fighters, the "third partys only rule being broken", cacomallow not being disproven, and the Geno costume still not showing up are more of a positive than anything else. I feel like you're freaking out and spiraling over nothing.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I simply dont see an updated geno mii costume happening. Its very obvious that the "premium" miis are for indie characters. Either geno becomes a fully playable character, or the smash 4 costume returns, or we get absolutely nothing.
Thus far yes, it has been indies being this sort of upgraded Mii Costume. Though, I hate saying the tides could always change.

I still have hope for our boy.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Theory for why they are spreading out the release of FP2 over 2 years.

1. They want to coincide some first party character/costume releases with upcoming games like BOTW2.

2. A new Nintendo system will come out end of 2021 or at some point in 2022 with a definitive Smash Ultimate edition as a launch title kinda like Mario Kart 8 was for the Switch. Any Season 3 content (stage, character, music, costume, ATs, etc) is added to the definitive edition and not the Switch edition.

This makes every character and franchise they have to negotiate for in Ultimate way more complicated, because they are getting them for 2 pieces of software and not just one.
Possible, but I lean towards doubting that. Nintendo has said they wanted the Switch to have a longer console life than the typical 5-6 years you see. I think I see a Season 3 over a new Smash game on a console since they would need to renegotiate with all third parties again, even for a Definitive Edition or New Console game.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I’m sure I’ll get hate for saying this, and I obviously hope this isn’t the case. But like Papagenos said in his most recent video it wouldn’t shock me if Geno’s costume came back as an updated version similar to Sans and Cuphead and it came with his theme song.

I know the dream is playable character and that can still happen. Especially with Sakurai suggesting he wants to add more fan favorites. But these new Mii costumes are worrying.
So far the upgraded costumes have all been indies, so I'm holding onto that

D

Deleted member

Except he didn't say "long time". He said "some time". It could be next month it might be a couple. The reality is Byleth was done in November, and S2 was locked in this summer. Those characters have already begun development awhile ago. At most they're finishing up cgi trailers and whatnot.

You're saying this after a FE character, a series that is arguably over-represented in this game and is a first party franchise, received not only a stage, but a spirit board and 11 pieces of music? How does SMRPG have less of a chance at getting a stage and music than anything else at this point? Does this actually make logical sense to you?

My man are you having a mental breakdown or something? The fanbase isn't "out of control". They reacted negatively to an unpopular decision. What does Byleth, a character decided on for FP1, have any effect on FP2? If anything 6 fighters, the "third partys only rule being broken", cacomallow not being disproven, and the Geno costume still not showing up are more of a positive than anything else. I feel like you're freaking out and spiraling over nothing.
This. Sorry Starlight because I can’t help you’re feeling a bit pessimistic especially from that “Geno would obviously not come with a stage.”
Byleth had a stage so why wouldn’t Geno?

Last edited by a moderator:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Agreed ... a first party DLC character came with a stage and music ... but Geno, a third party character couldn't come with a stage and music? I personally don't follow Star since ... well, the whole FP says you are wrong on that. Lol.

We know there is a blend of Mario owned aspects of Mario RPG 7 Stars, but the most of it is all Squares. Heck, we could only get two tracks that are not Nintendo owned (Armed Boss and Forest Maze) and Sakurai's team could fill it with more music, even from the other RPG titles like Paper, M&L, etc.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

if you seriously think Fighters Pass Volume 2 is going to go on sale on the 28th of January but we're not going to know the first character in it until E3, 6 months away, seek help. Screenshot this post if you want to taunt me in the event that I'm wrong but I can guarantee you we will not wait that long for information for the first fighter.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Yeah, I think Byleth helps Geno's chances when it comes to the "would he come with a stage and music?" question. SMRPG has very nice areas and music Sakurai could pick out for Geno's pack.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Imagine in 2020 thinking that Square-Enix, the stingy-ass company that only gave Cloud 2 songs and 2 songs for each Hero alt, would agree to a redone Geno costume with 2 pieces of music for only $0.75 on top of the 2 pieces of music they'd give to whatever character came as a full character.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I am still betting on a Nintendo Direct that will reveal the first fighter and release it in the spring. The timing works. Even IF the development started in September (though I think it was earlier, at least all the negotiating and prep work) That is at least 4 months since the announcement, and Joker was announced much sooner than the first pass's "official" reveal.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
I simply dont see an updated geno mii costume happening. Its very obvious that the "premium" miis are for indie characters. Either geno becomes a fully playable character, or the smash 4 costume returns, or we get absolutely nothing.
Exactly, it's a do or die situation.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Yeah, I think Byleth helps Geno's chances when it comes to the "would he come with a stage and music?" question. SMRPG has very nice areas and music Sakurai could pick out for Geno's pack.
Also, If Geno is a fighter and Square is still stingy on music, I could see him with other Mario RPG music. That way, you can have that music on any other Mario stage! I call that a win win.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I think, if Byleth has shown us anything, it’s that the Fighters Pass has no rules.

Did your game just come out or come out 20 years ago?
Have you been in 1 game or 50?
First or Third party?

Doesn’t matter

As long as you aren’t Goku

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Also, just like I thought, the second Fighter pass comes with stages and music, which is another heavy hit against Geno’s chances. Be realistic here, how actually likely is a Super Mario RPG stage? Not likely at all. Same goes for Waluigi.
Starts with Bowyer's Arena deep in the Forest Maze (when you first get to use/officially meet Geno). The stage itself isn't too interesting, outside of being on a giant wooden stump with the background being trees, maybe with some platforms elsewhere. Arena will also shift randomly to other areas, making the background and references awesome. It can go into Mushroom Kingdom, Bowyer's Arena (obviously), Nimbus Land, Barrel Volcano, etc. Plenty of places it can go.

What's actually interesting, is the mechanics/hazards. Bowyer's area has his three buttons and each one turns off a function for all players, but instead of A/X/Y, it would be B (Disables Specials/B-Moves), S (disables Smash Attacks), and L/R (disables Shielding). You'd see him shoot arrows in the background and they would hit one of the buttons just like his boss battle.

When the area morphs, it could have some kind of mechanic or hazard/enemy tied to that area. Mushroom Kingdom for example could randomly rain (making it harder to see) or have Mack and his Shy Guys bouncing all over (they could injure you and you could attack them, kinda like Magicant's Flying Men). Nimbus Land, Dodo tries to kidnap people (and damage them), or just peck at them from off-screen. You can also add the fan enemies that show up here and Birdo could spit eggs.

These are just a few examples of how they could make a stage as a love letter to SMRPG and all its references, and I'm just one idiot who doesn't develop games for a living. The fact that fighters come with a stage doesn't remotely hurt his chances.

Waluigi on the other hand, that's a bit harder, though I could see them using a (or multiple, that morph like my SMRPG idea) Waluigi-themed level(s) from other games, such as Waluigi Island (Mario Party 3), or Waluigi Pinball (Mario Kart DS).

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
ep. It’s looking pretty likely he’s just going to be an upgraded Mii Costume at this point.

Can already see it. Last costume of the next square pack (Sora or 2B), comes with Forest Maze remix. The equivelant of the Sans and Cuphead Miis.

It’s a sad ending to two years of dedicated fan support and rallying, but there’s a point where holding out hope will only hurt you when that hope is dashed further and further away.

The one thing we have left as potential “evidence” for his inclusion is the Smithy Mii leak which is looking less and less likely as it’s hard to see how these Miis have been planned out SO early in advance when it’s looking like we could be waiting until E3 for Fighter 6’s reveal.
How is it looking likely he's an enhanced Mii costume? We've, so far, only gotten 2 Mii costumes with music and both of them were indies, and only came with one music track (if the copyright is to be believed, then we're getting 2 tracks with Geno). Also, I doubt either Sora nor 2B are coming to Smash. Sora will always be held back by his Disney status even if licensing isn't the issue (I just don't think anyone wants to see Mickey Mouse get plastered all over the game) and Sakurai literally even called out massive Twitter campaigns to bug him to put a character in Smash (by the time of recording, that whole Sora incident on Twitter was around a month prior at the longest). Seeing as how Sakurai couldn't put Mai in the background of a stage due to CERO, I doubt he'd be able to get someone like 2B as a playable character. Bayonetta's different though, it was still easy to heavily tone her down with the simple fix of making her clothes stay on even when she uses her hair attacks (unlike in the Bayonetta games), with that, she's like 90% less sexual already. They also clearly at least wanted to add one longtime fan request to the fighter pass (that being Banjo), Geno is one of the few remaining longtime requests that hasn't made it in yet.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
2. A new Nintendo system will come out end of 2021 or at some point in 2022 with a definitive Smash Ultimate edition as a launch title kinda like Mario Kart 8 was for the Switch. Any Season 3 content (stage, character, music, costume, ATs, etc) is added to the definitive edition and not the Switch edition.
Their handhelds (which Switch technically is) have always had a bigger life cycle. Just look at the DS brand. Thst brand were keep on going untill rather recently and with close to 2 decades worth of livespam. We are getting a pro version för sure, but not an entirely new console

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Also, If Geno is a fighter and Square is still stingy on music, I could see him with other Mario RPG music. That way, you can have that music on any other Mario stage! I call that a win win.
I genuinely expect them to only give him Fight Against An Armed Boss and Beware the Forest's Mushrooms, and then for us to all laugh at how cheap they are.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Imagine in 2020 thinking that Square-Enix, the stingy-ass company that only gave Cloud 2 songs and 2 songs for each Hero alt, would agree to a redone Geno costume with 2 pieces of music for only $0.75 on top of the 2 pieces of music they'd give to whatever character came as a full character.
Yeah.....but....we already got a Geno Mii Costume before, so it’s not like it hasn’t happened..

And isn’t it the composers for FF and DQ that we’re stingy about the music? Who did the music for SMRPG?

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
"Am I really doing this...? Yeah, I got it!"

...that's an odd thing to say, like the 6th character is something truly puzzling for him. Then again I'd better not read into it.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Yeah.....but....we already got a Geno Mii Costume before, so it’s not like it hasn’t happened..

And isn’t it the composers for FF and DQ that we’re stingy about the music? Who did the music for SMRPG?
My point isn't the mii costume my point is the music. It's SE's call at the end of the day what they do or don't sell. And I don't see them agreeing to adding as many songs as they usually add with fighters for less of a total profit than they usually get with fighters.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

...that's an odd thing to say, like the 6th character is something truly puzzling for him. Then again I'd better not read into it.
It might be a phrase or some wording that doesn't work as well in English. I took at as him asking whether he's really going to do two more years of DLC, only to confirm that yes, he can do this.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yoko Shimimoura who is already involved with Smash and I doubt she’s stingy which is not a problem for Geno’s music tracks

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
My point isn't the mii costume my point is the music. It's SE's call at the end of the day what they do or don't sell. And I don't see them agreeing to adding as many songs as they usually add with fighters for less of a total profit than they usually get with fighters.
I understand that. But again, was it not the composers for those series that was the problem and not SE? Would Sakurai have trouble getting an SMRPG song or two?

Dynamic Worlok

Yep. It’s looking pretty likely he’s just going to be an upgraded Mii Costume at this point.

Can already see it. Last costume of the next square pack (Sora or 2B), comes with Forest Maze remix. The equivelant of the Sans and Cuphead Miis.

It’s a sad ending to two years of dedicated fan support and rallying, but there’s a point where holding out hope will only hurt you when that hope is dashed further and further away.

The one thing we have left as potential “evidence” for his inclusion is the Smithy Mii leak which is looking less and less likely as it’s hard to see how these Miis have been planned out SO early in advance when it’s looking like we could be waiting until E3 for Fighter 6’s reveal.
What makes him any more likely to be a mii costume than your own conjecture? Relax, my guy. Let's just see how it plays out. No need to turn into wynn here.

D

Deleted member

He's been constantly joking about how he's never getting a break at this point since the first Fighters Pass. He's asking the rhetorical "am I really about to do this?", like jumping out of a plane or pulling the trigger in a game of Russian roulette. He answers his own question with the confident "Yeah, I got it!" - he can handle the responsibility and the challenge of making another six fighters.

I'm not sure what's confusing about it.

Also if I see "premium mii costume" one more ****ing time I'm going to lose it.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Also, I think 6 is gonna be Joker 2. Not Waluigi, not Geno. Our best bet is that Geno takes the "Banjo" slot of the next round of DLC, god hope so.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Yoko Shimimoura who is already involved with Smash and I doubt she’s stingy which is not a problem for Geno’s music tracks
The weird thing is that both Tetsuya Nomura (who did Final Fantasy 7's artwork) and Nobuo Uematsu (who did Final Fantasy 7's music) have been involved in Smash before (Nomura drew Cloud's artwork for Smash 4, Uematsu did the theme music for Brawl), and yet we got barely any spirits or music for Final Fantasy 7. (though maybe that's different since they were involved in Smash games other than Ultimate)

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Though Noubo Uematsu and Koichi Sugiyama are not Yoko Shimimoura. They wanted pretty penny premiums for their compositions, that's why poor Cloud only has two OSTs and the Dragon Quest Heroes has eight tracks. Though that is a TIL moment, that Yoko worked on Mario RPG and is one part of the Smash Composers.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I didn't even consider the price being a factor. Damn, I think I'm pretty much sold now, I don't think this nightmare will ever happen.

PS: Has anyone collected all the spirits? Because I need some tips on how to get components for the summonable spirits. Is there a way to rig the RNG in my favor and I dont have to waste hours shuffling? Otherwise I will have to go pretty far into WOL to get the rest of the spirits i need. In context, I don't want to put spirits that I only have one of into the summon, so I'm looking for doubles.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I’m kinda worried too.

Am I going to be happy yes! Because Ryu sounds awesome and will be a great addition. Dante is still a character I want in so he’d be amazing as well! Crash gaming icon that deserves it!

But yeah I don’t know kind of unsure. I will be excited about the characters but I’m kinda not to keen ether. Just hoping and praying Geno is in!

If another Nintendo character is among them. Give us Bandana Dee please want that little guy in!

Polarthief

Smash Lord
The weird thing is that both Tetsuya Nomura (who did Final Fantasy 7's artwork) and Nobuo Uematsu (who did Final Fantasy 7's music) have been involved in Smash before (Nomura drew Cloud's artwork for Smash 4, Uematsu did the theme music for Brawl), and yet we got barely any spirits or music for Final Fantasy 7. (though maybe that's different since they were involved in Smash games other than Ultimate)
Wasn't FF7 a huge issue though? IIRC they almost couldn't do "EVERYONE IS HERE!" because of Cloud and the FF music (which would explain why he still only has 2 tracks associated with him despite the FF series having tons of amazing tracks). I assume both the music and Cloud himself are issues, as well as FF in general. SMRPG clearly doesn't seem to be so when we already had Geno's Mii costume, we have both Mallow and Geno spirits, and Piranha Plant's Palutena's Guidance drops a "Megasmilax" reference when they absolutely did not need to do that.

According to others in here, the copyright owner of the SMRPG songs isn't the same person, which is a nice boost to Geno's favor.

Is that specifically Square or the specific people who own the music though? The fact that we got FOUR DQ Heroes alone makes me question that a bit, and 8 tracks doesn't seem that bad. Exclude Terry since he's obviously an outlier, and here's what you have from the other DLC characters:
- Joker/Persona: 11
- Hero/DQ: 8 (2 from each Hero[?])
- Banjo-Kazooie: 10
- Byleth/Fire Emblem Three Houses: 9 (it's 9 songs, 2 of which come with both Japanese and English lyrics; I don't consider that as "11")

Even if Geno as a playable character only came with 2 songs (Beware the Forest Mushrooms and Fight Against an Armed Boss), it'd be better than getting a Mii Costume that comes with 1-2.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I think, if Byleth has shown us anything, it’s that the Fighters Pass has no rules.

Did your game just come out or come out 20 years ago?
Have you been in 1 game or 50?
First or Third party?

Doesn’t matter

As long as you aren’t Goku
Yeah, it truly looks like the only rule is... I don¨t care as long they originated from videogames".

Dynamic Worlok

Don't worry friends. I'll go all in so you don't have to. I'll take the plunge. Geno is coming. If he doesn't, you can quote my post and laugh at me as long as your name doesn't start with a W.

link2702

Smash Champion
But the man has said himself that he doesn't like blind purchases in not one but two presentations. There's no way they would hold off on 6 until E3, which is still about 5 months out.
I WANT to believe this but...well... have we EVER had any smash reveals that close together? Or a smash direct and general one that soon? We also just had a Pokémon Direct. So that’d technically be 3 Nintendo directs in very close succession...

I’m with polar on this one, even then I feel Feb might be too soon, least the start of it.

Believe me I’d love for them to announce season 2 character 1 at the end of the month, but I just can’t see them doing 3 directs in 1 month, two of which have a smash reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom