• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
lol, Is that good or bad??
Definitely good. I sometimes wish I'm more interested in other franchises but it's hard to persuade myself to try them. Your tastes are your own. I'm not here to judge or critique anyone for what they like. I don't give a single **** about Fire Emblem (or most RPGs for that matter) but I'm not a scumbag.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Joker- F

Lame both in design and playstyle.

Hero- B

Never played the series, but it's an iconic series and he's a fun character.

Banjo- A+

My most wanted character and very fun to play.

Terry- B

Same as Hero.

Byleth- D

There's better FE characters they could have picked if they just had to include another one, but at least they finally incorporated the weapon triangle and bows.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
We need a patented @Fatmanonice Pep talk lmao
No we don't. You all need to stew in this for a while. Realize how ridiculous many of you have been with speculation and how you've let Sakurai's wild ride dictate your lives.

Seriously, some of you act like your life depends on it.

I GET IT! WE WANT OUR BOY!

So does LITERALLY EVERYONE ELSE AND WE CAN'T ALL WIN!

I've seen reactions today to Byleth that people lost their damn minds and were happy. They were fewer than those mixed or upset to be sure, but I feel like Byleth has more love than Terry did because Three Houses is apparently the bees knees and was an excellent game that is getting DLC.

Did none of us expect Fire Emblem because we have so much of it already and even Sakurai talked about it being too much? Yeah.

Is Sakurai perhaps a fan of Fire Emblem and this is pass of characters he likes so we can just deal with it? Yeah.

More arguably, remember when he was against the idea of Corrin but his team convinced him on it? Maybe we have another scenario with Nintendo pushing Fire Emblem. Maybe part of the deal was 'Sakurai, we have this whole list of characters to pick from, but you HAVE to make one of the Nintendo and frankly, it should be Fire Emblem because we are pushing it and it's doing well and Three Houses is gonna SELL LIKE HOTCAKES!'

We don't know the situation, and unlike with Terry and Hero, I never felt this vibe from Sakurai that he was gushing about being able to do this. If anything, it felt like he was doing his best to make us enjoy the show and not hate a character he knew most of us would.

Oh, and those of you ****ting on papagenos papagenos can **** right off. The dude can act however he wants, and just because he shows off legit anger for literally the first time after being stuck in speculation and being so calm and making good content that ignored most of the crap out there unlike OTHER CHANNELS because Sakurai put into the game the ONE character he really didn't want to see? Even I was like 'Woah dude, idk about this one chief' but I understood that he is allowed to think and feel how he wants regardless of how fair or how informed he is...and when you consider MOST of the reactions I've seen seem like they are trying hard NOT to take a stance at all to avoid controversy I actually appreciate his honest raw emotion even more.

On top of that, many of you have gotten way too emotional over speculation before as well. Those of you know who you are, and you've lashed out and acted immature multiple times but Papa isn't allowed that once? You bounce around on how you feel and talk about how you need breaks constantly or get emotionally charged after every big reveal of info but Papa can't vent about the ONE character he didn't want to see? The man even states in the heat of the moment that he may even enjoy how the character plays and that he got Banjo so he'll be better later when he can relax and let it sink in, but you need to judge and insult him for it?

To quote the great Mauler from Youtube...**** Off!

Last thing is that I've already recovered from my disbelief of Byleth due to the things I've mentioned already amongst many other reasons. Let's stop being babies for a moment and realize that Byleth really isn't that horrible of a character pick and that Sakurai clearly did his best to make the character the least Fire Emblem of Fire Emblem that Smash has seen. I'll be buying them once I get a Switch and I quit caring about Fire Emblem after Sacred Stones, mostly because I liked Roy and Lyn and their games never got here. We could have got a character that absolutely no one knew and no one loved from a game only 50 people ever heard of. I'm not saying you can't dislike Byleth, but much like SOME people have told Papa to do, I'm telling you to grow up and realize that a single character that you don't like in an amazing video game you love isn't this big a deal. If it is to you, wake up and fix your priorities. I'm doing EXACTLY that as I'm getting older and still need to get my life together. I kept putting speculation before other things and wasting my time with theories and trying to use logic is get ahead of Sakurai's curve and it's taught me that trying to understand Smash's future content is nigh-impossible and your time is better spent doing something more constructive.

I will still be around from time to time but I'm going to do my best to limit it to big events where we will likely get Smash info. I love you all, let's get over this crap and push Geno ever forward. Oh, also, whoever that Shantae fan in here that we just adopted has the best signature ever. **** Leaks!

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Definitely good. I sometimes wish I'm more interested in other franchises but it's hard to persuade myself to try them. Your tastes are your own. I'm not here to judge or critique anyone for what they like. I don't give a single **** about Fire Emblem (or most RPGs for that matter) but I'm not a scumbag.
Only reason why Banjo is a D is because 1) never played his games
2) Never felt the need to play his games
3) collect a thons arent my thing(unless Im collecting monkeys in a net)

Everyone else, I got attached to in some way or another. Some would call my taste bad for liking Fire Emblem

Last edited:

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
I never

Everyone else, I got attached to in some way or another. Some would call my taste bad for liking Fire Emble
I never played any Banjo games either but the internet, my love for 3D platformers and cartoony things in general, and browsing Youtube nonstop during my childhood all attributed to discovering and falling in love with the characters and world of Banjo-Kazooie. If Rare Replay ever gets ported to Switch, I'm buying it as soon as I can.

It seems to me that the only reason people call out others for their tastes is because they have the indecency to do so and don't care about respecting opinions or at least staying quiet. It's much worse on anonymous forums and sites as well.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
I never

I never played any Banjo games either but the internet, my love for 3D platformers and cartoony things in general, and browsing Youtube nonstop during my childhood all attributed to discovering and falling in love with the characters and world of Banjo-Kazooie. If Rare Replay ever gets ported to Switch, I'm buying it as soon as I can.

It seems to me that the only reason people call out others for their tastes is because they have the indecency to do so and don't care about respecting opinions or at least staying quiet. It's much worse on anonymous forums and sites as well.
thanks for being respectful. This place could do with more of that. You cant even talk about FE without someone going "ugh"

everyone has the kindness of a kindergartener

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Banjo is a super fun game, I loved it as a kid. I didn't actually play Banjo Tooie until much later but it's also super fun

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace

Everyone else, I got attached to in some way or another. Some would call my taste bad for liking Fire Emble
What about the way he plays in Smash?

I like Fire Emblem too, but I just think it could be represented a lot better. Anna and The Black Knight seem like glaring omissions to me, and there's way too many characters based on Marth. Those could have easily just been alts of him like the Koopa Kids are for Bowser Jr. We could actually get more FE characters if they would have just had each weapon type be it's own moveset and anytime a new FE game comes out, just throw the new Lords under their respective weapon type moveset.

A similar thing could be done with Pokemon by having Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon be replaced by the newest generation's starters each time.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So I've been pretty intense lately and I have found a new meme I appreciate. I've always been a little bit of a troll at heart ever since 6th Grade so here is one for ya.

Smash Community: "There's no way Fire Emblem will get a rep in the Fighter's Pass."

Sakurai At 6AM PST:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
No we don't. You all need to stew in this for a while. Realize how ridiculous many of you have been with speculation and how you've let Sakurai's wild ride dictate your lives.

Seriously, some of you act like your life depends on it.

I GET IT! WE WANT OUR BOY!

So does LITERALLY EVERYONE ELSE AND WE CAN'T ALL WIN!

I've seen reactions today to Byleth that people lost their damn minds and were happy. They were fewer than those mixed or upset to be sure, but I feel like Byleth has more love than Terry did because Three Houses is apparently the bees knees and was an excellent game that is getting DLC.

Did none of us expect Fire Emblem because we have so much of it already and even Sakurai talked about it being too much? Yeah.

Is Sakurai perhaps a fan of Fire Emblem and this is pass of characters he likes so we can just deal with it? Yeah.

More arguably, remember when he was against the idea of Corrin but his team convinced him on it? Maybe we have another scenario with Nintendo pushing Fire Emblem. Maybe part of the deal was 'Sakurai, we have this whole list of characters to pick from, but you HAVE to make one of the Nintendo and frankly, it should be Fire Emblem because we are pushing it and it's doing well and Three Houses is gonna SELL LIKE HOTCAKES!'

We don't know the situation, and unlike with Terry and Hero, I never felt this vibe from Sakurai that he was gushing about being able to do this. If anything, it felt like he was doing his best to make us enjoy the show and not hate a character he knew most of us would.

Oh, and those of you ****ting on papagenos papagenos can **** right off. The dude can act however he wants, and just because he shows off legit anger for literally the first time after being stuck in speculation and being so calm and making good content that ignored most of the crap out there unlike OTHER CHANNELS because Sakurai put into the game the ONE character he really didn't want to see? Even I was like 'Woah dude, idk about this one chief' but I understood that he is allowed to think and feel how he wants regardless of how fair or how informed he is...and when you consider MOST of the reactions I've seen seem like they are trying hard NOT to take a stance at all to avoid controversy I actually appreciate his honest raw emotion even more.

On top of that, many of you have gotten way too emotional over speculation before as well. Those of you know who you are, and you've lashed out and acted immature multiple times but Papa isn't allowed that once? You bounce around on how you feel and talk about how you need breaks constantly or get emotionally charged after every big reveal of info but Papa can't vent about the ONE character he didn't want to see? The man even states in the heat of the moment that he may even enjoy how the character plays and that he got Banjo so he'll be better later when he can relax and let it sink in, but you need to judge and insult him for it?

To quote the great Mauler from Youtube...**** Off!

Last thing is that I've already recovered from my disbelief of Byleth due to the things I've mentioned already amongst many other reasons. Let's stop being babies for a moment and realize that Byleth really isn't that horrible of a character pick and that Sakurai clearly did his best to make the character the least Fire Emblem of Fire Emblem that Smash has seen. I'll be buying them once I get a Switch and I quit caring about Fire Emblem after Sacred Stones, mostly because I liked Roy and Lyn and their games never got here. We could have got a character that absolutely no one knew and no one loved from a game only 50 people ever heard of. I'm not saying you can't dislike Byleth, but much like SOME people have told Papa to do, I'm telling you to grow up and realize that a single character that you don't like in an amazing video game you love isn't this big a deal. If it is to you, wake up and fix your priorities. I'm doing EXACTLY that as I'm getting older and still need to get my life together. I kept putting speculation before other things and wasting my time with theories and trying to use logic is get ahead of Sakurai's curve and it's taught me that trying to understand Smash's future content is nigh-impossible and your time is better spent doing something more constructive.

I will still be around from time to time but I'm going to do my best to limit it to big events where we will likely get Smash info. I love you all, let's get over this crap and push Geno ever forward. Oh, also, whoever that Shantae fan in here that we just adopted has the best signature ever. **** Leaks!
Don't get over emotional... yet leave Papa Geno alone, he's having passionate emotions???? It kind of sounds like your just working through some things yourself, based on that last paragraph. That's fine and all, but don't lash out at us about it. Everyone in this thread has had pretty reasonable reactions.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
My thoughts on the Fighters Pass:

:ultjoker:: Love him on principle alone. While he's a bit too "precise" for lack of a better word for my tastes, and while I never played Persona 5, I can definitely respect his inclusion, and the team did a great job with his moveset. B
:ulthero:: I can only play Hero if I'm going into it as a ****post, but that's not a bad thing, Hero is so stupid but a good kind of stupid, I adore how bonkers they went with him. Hero dittos are almost their own mode. B
:ultbanjokazooie:: Easily my favorite Fighters Pass character. While I never played Banjo-Kazooie until very recently nor really wanted them like I did with Ridley and King K. Rool, there's just something so special about seeing a fan request whose been MIA for years finally make it into Smash. And while they are admittedly clunky at first and hard to get used to, they are extremely fun and versatile. S
:ult_terry:: My least favorite Fighters Pass character. I don't hate him nor do I think he shouldn't have been included, and I do like the ideas his moveset introduces, but his playstyle just isn't for me and the button inputs are too hard for my puny brain to wrap around. D

Byleth: I'll need to wait for them to release before I give them a final judgement, but Sakurai really sold me on them. I was initially iffy on Byleth, not that I disliked Fire Emblem or anything, the character just didn't interest me. But seeing them in play made me really excited to pick them up (plus them being revealed on my birthday gives them a bit of personal connection to me, more than I can say for than any of the other Fire Emblem characters). A for now until they release and see them for myself.

Overall? Pretty solid A. While Byleth is kind of a weird pick to end on, it's overall a really good, diverse lineup. If the second Fighters Pass is like this, I'm very much looking forward to it.

Last edited:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
I skipped over that character,l because I had no interest in him, so idk how he plays in smash. Granted, I never played KoF but Ive seen enough Saltybet to be intrested in Terry
Well, it's kinda hard to respect the opinion and letter grade you gave him if you haven't even tried him out. I hate Joker but I at least purchased him and gave him a solid try before passing judgement.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Well, it's kinda hard to respect the opinion and letter grade you gave him if you haven't even tried him out. I hate Joker but I at least purchased him and gave him a solid try before passing judgement.
I could of giving him an F because I didnt play him at all or I could of ommited him but then that defetes the purpose of grading them all. And If I gave him an F, I know I would of been questioned anyway. Wasnt this just grading how you felt about them or did I read wrong/not all the way?

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Don't get over emotional... yet leave Papa Geno alone, he's having passionate emotions???? It kind of sounds like your just working through some things yourself, based on that last paragraph. That's fine and all, but don't lash out at us about it. Everyone in this thread has had pretty reasonable reactions.
Huh...it's like you barely read my post. Though you do have a history I suppose.

As I said, I'm over Byleth. I've come to terms that it exists, there is nothing I can do to change it, and it's really not a big deal.

People going after Papa is a different story though. It's hard to sit back and watch people judge him so harshly considering the one-time occurrence his rage was when people get emotionally charged and flip their stances on Geno just about every other day here. I just hate hypocrisy. That 'Only for thee, not for me' kinda ****.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
There's better FE characters they could have picked if they just had to include another one, but at least they finally incorporated the weapon triangle and bows.
The funny thing is, if I recall, despite Byleth being the only character to incorporate the weapons triangle, Fire Emblem: Three Houses dropped that mechanic entirely :bobomb:

Last edited:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Well anyway, do y'all think we're still getting a general direct this month, or not until February? And do you think Geno would be more likely to be announced there(or in another direct) or at E3?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Alright now that FP1 is over, give your report cards.

Joker - A+

One of the best Smash reveals ever, it sits right alongside Solid Snake from E3 2006. Persona is one of my favorite series today and I never would have thought we would see it in Smash Bros. He's really fun to play as, and my only real complaint is that the P5 Mementos is kind of hard on the eyes. Yellow and Blue are much nicer colors for the stage.

Hero - A+

The least hidden reveal ever. We knew about Erdrick since like the game launch and the first half of 2019 was nonstop discussion about him. The big surprise was that we got my favorite DQ Hero in Solo, but unfortunately lost Sofia and Femdrick. Loved the reveal, and the stage. The character is wacky to play as and all his spells are transitioned perfectly from the turn based DQ series.

Banjo - B+
This was one of the final frontiers of megasmash request (along with Ridley, Isaac(rip), K.Rool, and Geno), so its always cool to see one of those get in. However unlike the previous two DLC characters... I never had that much attachment to the series. I enjoyed BK back in the day, but it was never my favorite N64 game. The character is fun to play as, the music is great, but my GOD is Spiral Mountain an awful stage.

Terry - B-

Never played KoF or Fatal Fury or Samurai Showdown or any SNK fighter. However you can see a lot of love was poured into him; the Sakurai presentation of this was the best yet. Great music but the stage is forgettable. Character is pretty weird to play. Not sure I like command inputs in Smash Bros. I enjoy traditional fighters but doing charge moves in Smash is just unwieldy.

Byleth - D

Honestly, this pick does nothing for me. I really don't care about Byleth at all. Putting a D right now, may move to D+ or maybe even a C if I like the character and stage.

Overall

A- Only real miss for me was Byleth who is just a weird addition.
Joker - B

Personally indifferent about Joker, but my sister loves Persona 5 to death and Joker came with some fantastic songs, there for a B instead of a C.

Hero - C

Indifferent about Hero truth be told. He is quite fun to play as from time to time, but nothing that is really jawdropping to me.

Banjo - A+
What can I say. I love the BK games as a kid (BK/BT > Super Mario 64, sorry not sorry) and I wished that they have been included since Melee. I literally cried when I saw them being revealed. Here¨s hoping for Rare Replay on Switch

Terry - C

Pretty much the same as Joker and Hero.

Byleth - B+

I know that I¨m the only one in the thread that is stocked about this reveal, but what can I say? I love Fire Emblem, I love Three Houses and as an FE fan, I¨m over the moon that we finally see that we finally have weapon triangle representative so to speak. (hides under the table)

Overall score - A

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I know that I¨m the only one in the thread that is stocked about this reveal, but what can I say? I love Fire Emblem, I love Three Houses and as an FE fan, I¨m over the moon that we finally see that we finally have weapon triangle representative so to speak. (hides under the table)
My man I'm not even into Fire Emblem and I'm excited for Byleth, here's hoping they're fun and I can add them to my growing list of mains.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Hey man, I liked it as well. You are not alone in that fact.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Hey, I too am hyped hard for momm- I mean Byleth. That down B looks absolutely disgusting, this character was made for me.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Well anyway, do y'all think we're still getting a general direct this month, or not until February? And do you think Geno would be more likely to be announced there(or in another direct) or at E3?
I think a general direct next week could happen if only because of the SKU names on GaneStop that appeared earlier this month. If not then we're definitely getting our direct in February.

As for Geno, if he is in, I feel he could be revealed anywhere tbh. I heard the deadline for the second Fighters Pass to be done is two years from now, so it could be awhile... but I still have hope for his inclusion. I ain't throwing in the towel until DLC ends or we see the Mii costume.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Can we all agree that Max has the best reactions? Yes, he is disappointed, but at least he feels... dare I say mature and professional?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-WqouNW32o

Hey, I too am hyped hard for momm- I mean Byleth. That down B looks absolutely disgusting, this character was made for me.
Hehe, glad to hear that I¨m not alone... Can¨t help but love when the series that is a big part of why I¨m alive today gets some love but... well you know how the Smash community is to the franchise......

I could see both tbh. He is big enough character in the smash community that he fits E3, but he is also in the seize for the casual audience, that it might work for the better in a general direct if you know what I mean

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Hehe, glad to hear that I¨m not alone... Can¨t help but love when the series that is a big part of why I¨m alive today gets some love but... well you know how the Smash community is to the franchise......
If things go well and Byleth does become a main I can finally finally join "Hoes Mad: The Maddening". I am honored.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Can we all agree that Max has the best reactions? Yes, he is disappointed, but at least he feels... dare I say mature and professional?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-WqouNW32o

I could see both tbh. He is big enough character in the smash community that he fits E3, but he is also in the seize for the casual audience, that it might work for the better in a general direct if you know what I mean
The Smash community makes it suck to be a Fire Emblem fan, not nice.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
If some kind soul could edit in a Geno hat on my profile pic, that would be great. I¨m horrible at photoshop

The Smash community makes it suck to be a Fire Emblem fan, not nice.
That¨s an understatement

Plus, he does seem won over by the moveset by the end, so he is open about this.

Also, we should keep in mind that he had quite the night prior to this, so his reaction is very much morphed by that.
Indeed. Like I said. It¨s reactions like those that make him one of the best in the fighting game community over at Youtube

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I'm not a FE fan at all, but dare I say it, I have an open mind with Byleth coming in as DLC. For the first time, I don't feel salty seeing an FE character. Is this what maturing feels like? It's scary lol

I'm happy for the people who wanted him and enjoyed the heck out of Three Houses

If some kind soul could edit in a Geno hat on my profile pic, that would be great. I¨m horrible at photoshop
I'll do my best to get one set up for you.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I just realized something.

Garreg Mach may have the chandelier element we have discussed for a possible SMRPG stage, but that just makes it the perfect place for a spirit battle against a character like Boomer.

It's minor, but it works.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Got a rad speculation take. Ready?

Next character is announced really early, a la Joker, on the 28th the same day as the Pass goes up for sale, a la Joker and December 7th. I feel like they gotta show at least one character.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Got a rad speculation take. Ready?

Next character is announced really early, a la Joker, on the 28th the same day as the Pass goes up for sale, a la Joker and December 7th. I feel like they gotta show at least one character.
That would be really cool, though I wonder how they would go about that without tipping everyone off beforehand. I imagine you would want to keep that a surprise, right?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom