• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I can't blame him. The Fighter Pass mostly sucked.
I refuse to say that. The fighter pass has been pretty solid. Hero, Banjo and Terry are all really great pics.

Joker and Byleth are passable but they are too zoomer for my taste.

But I've enjoyed these way more than Smash 4's DLC where it felt like nothing but despair.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Man, I did not think I'd see people still salty not only about Byleth, but other characters like Incineroar for quite a while. Maybe some wounds don't simply heal. No offense to anyone, by the way.
Someone who feels a character decision was a bad idea at the time doesn't necessarily turn it into a good decision after X amount of time.

I find Corrin fun to play as. I still believe it was a dumb idea to reveal him when they did. Byleth looks to be fun and I like the design and moveset flow. It won't change my mind that ending the first fighter pass, a pass that was originally going to be THE end, on another FE character was a crazy dumb idea.

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
Alright so, sorry for my quick outburst of messages, but this'll be my last one for a bit. I got one last thing I wanted to share.

I hadn't seen this cutscene in a while so when the Smash trailer began and all I saw was this:
View attachment 258038

I nearly croaked, I watched this with my brother and we both almost screamed at 7:00 AM in a house of 6. All I saw was a forest, and I was totally over hyping myself. Wish I could've shown ya'll the looks we both had when we saw Byleth's small silhouette though.

We basically went from this:
View attachment 258040
To this:
View attachment 258041
Exactly what I did also haha. My heart skipped a beat and then I saw the purple shadow/outline.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Someone who feels a character decision was a bad idea at the time doesn't necessarily turn it into a good decision after X amount of time.

I find Corrin fun to play as. I still believe it was a dumb idea to reveal him when they did. Byleth looks to be fun and I like the design and moveset flow. It won't change my mind that ending the first fighter pass, a pass that was originally going to be THE end, on another FE character was a crazy dumb idea.
Still. at least this isn't comparable to what the bad guys did in War World II. That, among other events, had more impact on people's lives than something like this ever will.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Yes. This man needs to take a break. Not just for work but for his own sanity.
Unfortunately, I think it all comes down to the Japanese working culture. A lot of manga creators, for example, work themself sick, others to the point that they literally can¨t continue their work for years. Hedge, Hunter x Hunter creator has ended up in such a state that he might not even be able to finish it by himself before he passes away. The creator of Astro Boy literally worked so much that his last words were, pretty much "please let me work" when a nurse tried to put his pen and pencil tool from him so he could rest at the hospital bed.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Unfortunately, I think it all comes down to the Japanese working culture. A lot of manga creators, for example, work themself sick, others to the point that they literally can¨t continue their work for years. Hedge, Hunter x Hunter creator has ended up in such a state that he might not even be able to finish it by himself before he passes away. The creator of Astro Boy literally worked so much that his last words were, pretty much "please let me work" when a nurse tried to put his pen and pencil tool from him so he could rest at the hospital bed.
Now, that's extreme. I never imagined the Japanese would be quite the workaholics.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Here’s PapaGenos reaction. Spoiler, he’s mad. Like REALLY mad. I don’t like seeing Papa this angry.
Of all the reactions, this hurt most. Keep in mine PapaGenos has been so deep into speculation for FP5 for months now and to just see it end up being another FE character, yeah, he's got every right to be mad. It really hurt to see him that disappointed, I've never seen him so much as slightly miffed before so seeing this really just solidifies how bad this was.
over the Sora4Smash fiasco; meaning my next biggest want is probably in a shallow grave
Yeah, I thought the same thing. Sora was the one who had a massive campaign that trended on Twitter and got Sakurai mentioned a bunch. I think if there's any one specific character that got hurt most from that statement, it was probably Sora.

I want to use this post to comment on something I see a lot. I'm not mad because "I didn't get who I wanted", I wasn't expecting Geno to be 5 and I thought it'd be someone like Doomslayer or something instead, but it was the fact that it was a character that was probably the worst inclusion they could've chosen. I would've been fine with someone like Dante or hell, even Sora would've been cooler. This was just boring and felt like a slap in the face.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
With this workaholic stuff in Japan, I do fear what might happen to Sakurai if he keeps working and something bad happens to him, being a workaholic and all. Please, Sakurai, just take a vacation and tell us to "never to ask you for anything ever again" while you still can!.....What?

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Of all the reactions, this hurt most. Keep in mine PapaGenos has been so deep into speculation for FP5 for months now and to just see it end up being another FE character, yeah, he's got every right to be mad. It really hurt to see him that disappointed, I've never seen him so much as slightly miffed before so seeing this really just solidifies how bad this was.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Sora was the one who had a massive campaign that trended on Twitter and got Sakurai E Ed a bunch. I think if there's any one specific character that got hurt most from that statement, it was probably Sora.

I want to use this post to comment on something I see a lot. I'm not mad because "I didn't get who I wanted", I wasn't expecting Geno to be 5 and I thought it'd be someone like Doomslayer or something instead, but it was the fact that it was a character that was probably the worst inclusion they could've chosen. I would've been fine with someone like Dante or hell, even Sora would've been cooler. This was just boring and felt like a slap in the face.
I shouldn't find the fact that you accidentally pinged some random person named Ed who hasn't been around since 2004 so funny, but alas I do.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Now, that's extreme. I never imagined the Japanese would be quite the workaholics.
If you only knew, if you only knew... I mean, the creator of Fairytail is a man that oversaw the last season of the anime, gives script notes to the one that handles the sequel to Fairytail, while also working on his new project.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I'm just so legitimately confused by Byleth. Did Nintendo just tell Sakurai "hey we want a character from a new game" and he just picked Fire Emblem? Or did Nintendo force that specifically and why? Or did Sakurai just straight up choose to do Byleth himself, even though he literally said he felt Corrin was too many FE characters and already added Chrom. Hell, the fact that there are Ubisoft costumes straight up confirms they probably wanted a Smash character, but Nintendo just decided to do goddamn BYLETH instead. Keep in mind this all would have happened in 2018.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I'm just so legitimately confused by Byleth. Did Nintendo just tell Sakurai "hey we want a character from a new game" and he just picked Fire Emblem? Or did Nintendo force that specifically and why? Or did Sakurai just straight up choose to do Byleth himself, even though he literally said he felt Corrin was too many FE characters and already added Chrom. Hell, the fact that there are Ubisoft costumes straight up confirms they probably wanted a Smash character, but Nintendo just decided to do goddamn BYLETH instead. Keep in mind this all would have happened in 2018.
Do you know what's funny? The trailer for the last wave of DLC for Fire Emblem Houses got released pretty much minutes after the presentation :lol::joyful:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Here’s PapaGenos reaction. Spoiler, he’s mad. Like REALLY mad. I don’t like seeing Papa this angry.
He needs to grow up a bit. Reading his twitter argument was annoying as he was “speaking for the smash community” saying that no one wanted another fire emblem. Dude needs to chill.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
From what’s been said in the past, I don’t think Sakurai counts echoes as characters, and honestly it’s kind of disingenuous for us to. It’s a popular series and one of the few Nintendo franchises to have new casts of characters with each one and hey, a new game came out and the latest Smash didn’t have a real new FE character yet. And, as others have said, the last reveal for the pass was the least important. If you looked at Joker, Hero, Banjo, and Terry and said “hmmmm I don’t know about buying this” I doubt any one character would change a significant amount of people’s minds.

I don’t know if I’m going somewhere with this I think I’m just kinda rambling lol

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
He needs to grow up a bit. Reading his twitter argument was annoying as he was “speaking for the smash community” saying that no one wanted another fire emblem. Dude needs to chill.
No kidding! Not to mention, he is losing it. No one can speak for the whole Smash community, which is too divided to speak for.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Yep, the presentation was a promotion video for Three Houses, alright.
Which I seriously don¨t get the reason too. The game sold gangbuster, most people that want the game have already bought it. At least from a promotional standpoint, Corrin's game had yet to be released in the west. If they wanted to promote something Fire Emblem related, it would have made more sense to add someone from the Tokyo Mirage Session from a commercial perspective even if its releasing the day after this direct

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
No kidding! Not to mention, he is losing it. No one can speak for the whole Smash community, which is too divided to speak for.
I totally understand being disappointed. Maybe I'm
Used to that cause my career path but like man was he on rage mode. It wasn’t that bad.

I was more upset with Corrin because I knew we had only one more character left versus this being 6 more.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Eh, I think it's pretty clear that Sakurai chose Byleth himself, or at least Nintendo supported him when he chose Byleth.

Honestly speaking I think the huge amount of hate Corrin got back in Smash 4 is the reason why he chose Byleth. Those days were way worse then when Byleth got confirmed, and it was impossible to be an FE fan without the Smash fanbase taking shots at you every second.

I honestly think Byleth getting in is just a big F you by Sakurai, to the toxic parts of the Smash fanbase. There's a reason Sakurai kept building Byleth up, and even went as far as to keep him from leaking, and that reason is just that he absolutely despises certain parts of the community (even if he may not say it publicly). It's sort of like the ultimate "This'll prove them I can do whatever I want".

It seems far fetched, but that's my take on it. It's pretty clear by the laughter, that the developers know people are going to hate them for it. Heck, they even draw out the salt by doing a breakdown about Fire Emblem itself. So I do think that at the very least the video was made to criticize the toxic parts of the community. I wouldn't even be surprised if Kamiya was in on Byleth, judging by the meme he posted right after the video.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Used to that cause my career path but like man was he on rage mode. It wasn’t that bad.

I was more upset with Corrin because I knew we had only one more character left versus this being 6 more.
I actually agree with this. The fact we have 6 more fighters with stages and music is great news! Where Corrin was THE last one for Sm4sh.

Take a step back, breath...Geno is coming y'all.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

I know what you mean. I know it is hard to do when one first learns it, but it's possible to be calm when reacting to anything, whether you are positive or negative.

Which I seriously don¨t get the reason too. The game sold gangbuster, most people that want the game have already bought it. At least from a promotional standpoint, Corrin's game had yet to be released in the west. If they wanted to promote something Fire Emblem related, it would have made more sense to add someone from the Tokyo Mirage Session from a commercial perspective even if its releasing the day after this direct
I think I understand what you mean. Either way, Sakurai sure doesn't play it safe and loves taking risks that can do more harm than good, right?

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
My personal thoughts on today:

DLC is a privilege. They don't go on forever, so it's a treat for a character to make it into these limited spots. With that being said, out of all of the possible characters that could have made it in, 1st party and 3rd party, it just had to be a blue haired anime swordsman from Fire Emblem, huh?

I get that Byleth brings a new moveset to the roster and that he's unique, but there are so many other franchises that need more characters. Zelda, Kirby, Pikmin, F-Zero, Sonic, etc. But no, just because a new FE game came out, Byleth got a free pass, Willy Wonka's golden ticket.

FE is popular, but it is not in the league of a lot of other franchises in Smash, even in Japan, so I don't get why it needs to have the 2nd most amount of reps compared to franchises like Zelda and Kirby.

I agree with PapaGenos. From the get go, there should have been four FE characters, one being a regular swordsman, two being a lancer, three being an archer, and four being a mage. Then, characters should be alt skins based off of these classes like the Koopalings. I feel like this would represent the diversity of FE well without clogging up the roster.

To conclude, I'm happy for all of the FE fans for getting Byleth, it's always a treat to get a favorite character in. But that unfortunately does not change my opinion. FE representation in Smash is a cluster****. And I'm sorry, but to me, there are so many other possibilities for characters. FE's appetite should have been fed after Corrin, stop hogging up all the fun and give other franchises a turn for just one base roster/DLC cycle, damn.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Eh, I think it's pretty clear that Sakurai chose Byleth himself, or at least Nintendo supported him when he chose Byleth.

Honestly speaking I think the huge amount of hate Corrin got back in Smash 4 is the reason why he chose Byleth. Those days were way worse then when Byleth got confirmed, and it was impossible to be an FE fan without the Smash fanbase taking shots at you every second.

I honestly think Byleth getting in is just a big F you by Sakurai, to the toxic parts of the Smash fanbase. There's a reason Sakurai kept building Byleth up, and even went as far as to keep him from leaking, and that reason is just that he absolutely despises certain parts of the community (even if he may not say it publicly). It's sort of like the ultimate "This'll prove them I can do whatever I want".

It seems far fetched, but that's my take on it. It's pretty clear by the laughter, that the developers know people are going to hate them for it. Heck, they even draw out the salt by doing a breakdown about Fire Emblem itself. So I do think that at the very least the video was made to criticize the toxic parts of the community. I wouldn't even be surprised if Kamiya was in on Byleth, judging by the meme he posted right after the video.
Honestly... I think your on to something here

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Remember, this was decided way before Three Houses was out. They didn’t know the game would be THIS successful yet. Also, Sakurai has said in interviews that he’s kind of proud of helping introduce Fire Emblem to the rest of the world, so he does just enjoy promoting it

volbound1700

Smash Master
Not sure if it was a good idea to advertise that, but I do think Sakurai should add more retro characters, especially retro characters from other companies, like this one.
Haha, it would be the ultimate troll. Do you know the history of Action 52? It is continuously rated one of the worse games every made. It was $ 120.00 costs to get supposedly 52 games so it sounded like a deal. Well most of the games were broken and bad. T he last of the game was Cheetahman which was supposed to be an attempt to mimic the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and start a toy franchise. The creator was overly ambitious and hired 3-4 newbie directors and gave them no time to check their games. It is an entertaining story.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline

I look at it from the perspective of "this was what they decided would be adequate for DLC" before they decided they were gonna do more. It could have very easily been another corrin situation, we were lucky they wanted to do a second season.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Haha, it would be the ultimate troll. Do you know the history of Action 52? It is continuously rated one of the worse games every made. It was $ 120.00 costs to get supposedly 52 games so it sounded like a deal. Well most of the games were broken and bad. T he last of the game was Cheetahman which was supposed to be an attempt to mimic the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and start a toy franchise. The creator was overly ambitious and hired 3-4 newbie directors and gave them no time to check their games. It is an entertaining story.
Interesting. I would have to see the Cheetahman develop into something big.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Interesting. I would have to see the Cheetahman develop into something big.
The best part is that there is Cheetahman 2 and it is even worse. I can't remember if it is the first or second game but one of them is unbeatable because it crashes after the 3rd boss.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Remember, this was decided way before Three Houses was out. They didn’t know the game would be THIS successful yet. Also, Sakurai has said in interviews that he’s kind of proud of helping introduce Fire Emblem to the rest of the world, so he does just enjoy promoting it
I seriously wonder if Byleth, at one point was meant to be a base roster character, as promotional material, but decided to be put hold... I mean, he talked about how he got an early version of the game didn¨t he? If Byleth wasn¨t meant to be base, then yeah, I think Droodle is on to something.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

I've gotta say, if you set a precedent that you're willing to allocate dev time and resources for the sole purpose of being spiteful to parts of your fanbase, that seems woefully petty. It's really not a good look.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Hell the character he was backing is bigger literal who then Terry for most gamers especially we haven't gotten that many Puyo Puyo games outside of Japan.

Dynamic Worlok

Hell the character he was backing is bigger literal who then Terry for most gamers especially we haven't gotten that many Puyo Puyo games outside of Japan.
I don't think he was mad about Arle. From what I saw, that just seemed the most likely to him based on speculation.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Sadly I think if you guys get in you will be the next "literal who" and "no one cares" character in the complaints of the general Smash fandom (though do you have not being an FE fighter going for you LOL) Good luck guys. I'm not a full supporter but I feel like if Geno was getting in any time, it'd be in this DLC pack.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
tbh I don't get why people act like there being only 6 DLC characters left suddenly makes everything better. I mean, in FP1, we got what? One major fan request (maybe two because I dunno how wanted DQ was in Japan), out of five? 3 were pretty clear bias picks (Joker and Terry had their fans, but they weren't really for Smash. Hell, Joker literally had no games on a Nintendo console lol), so unless your series is one Sakurai is a big fan of, I wouldn't be too optimistic right now. If this is anything to go off of, we may be getting 1-3 characters with decently sized support groups getting in the game. The other 3-5 will either be games Sakurai has affinity for, Nintendo has a reason to push, or probably both. Maybe they'll try and focus more on fan requests with this one, but they've given me no confidence that they will.

Last edited:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Well just think, Geno will get a lot of crap for getting in and he will be like “I don’t understand why!? Why is the smash community like this??” Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom