• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
That ain't what I expected. I don't really mind it though. And no costume casualties. Back to waiting I guess.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I was totally giddy 2 minutes before the direct. Then I just sat there dead faced for 35 minutes. I'm not upset with the pass as a whole at all. It's pretty great that we got Banjo and I guess the rest were fan favorites and they at least bring their own playstyles... but Byleth, ehhhh not a strong finish for me at all.

I SWEAR TO... if GENO IS A MII GUNNER RESKIN LIKE CUPHEAD/SANS (which are cool additions, don't get me wrong).... SO HELP ME I WILL BURN THIS THREAD TO THE GROUND

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213
Ok but seriously, they hid the character so well that literally everyone didn't "expect" Byleth to come. I expect them to do the same thing with the next 6 fighters.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
Well I wasn't expecting much and I got it. Please go back and read my posts in here about Nintendo. There marketing is ****. This is why Playstation and Xbox traditionally dominate the media in the US market and Nintendo is seen as that oddball, kiddie console.

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597
Super happy about Byleth, one of the best possible scenarios is a reality!!!

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
I also really enjoyed FE3H, but I’d rather have just had the music. I could’ve done without Byleth.

But every day, CacoMallow grows stronger. Also, I hope that people will stop pestering Fatmanonice Fatmanonice . He’s clearly just speculating at this point and not leaking things. Still counting on the February direct. I’ll probably also head out because oof, people are salty. Though I don’t really blame them. I just don’t participate because I can accept that people wanted Byleth too. Might not have been my choice, but it was someone’s.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Reminder that Kirbopher started bragging about how he was initially the voice of Byleth and he'd probably get into Smash. Then he got fired and replaced in a patch immediately.

Very good.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
well at least the altair and Cuphead costumes are cool. And we got at least 6 more characters.

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
You know what, I'll take Byleth. I enjoyed/am enjoying playing through Three Houses. Though, I was really hoping the alternate weapons would be part of a Down-B switch mechanic, similar to Pokemon Trainer. I also didn't see any new mechanics with Byleth, they seem like pretty good base game material, but that's probably just me.

Was NOT expecting Altair of all people to be a Mii Costume, though. Same goes for Cuphead, and I have a feeling that Cuphead will be Byleth's Sans in a way. (Referring to when Banjo got overshadowed by Sans' costume)

Byleth looks fun, and we FINALLY have a character that can use a lance and an axe, something that was desperately needed, because Fire Emblem (starting from Awakening, as I haven't played the previous titles) features way more than just blue hair, sword. blue hair, sword- You've got tomes, spears, axes, and bows. It's actually quite shocking that Byleth is a smash series first for being a FE character that can use a spear, axe, and bow.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
The real disappointment for me is the Altair/Rabbids costume.

I feel like they wouldn't have thrown those out with Byleth if there was any chance of us getting Rayman.

Unless those costumes were negotiated for before FP2 was decided, and then Sakurai went back to Ubisoft? I dunno
Couldn't agree more this is really disappointing to me it's also worrisome that unrelated miis from new third party franchises came with a first party character where they could easily have added their own Mii characters. This will make Mii portions of reveals even more nerve wracking since Banjo is no longer the only outlier.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
I can't possibly be mad with this, I loved Three Houses! coughAnd Byleth is mommy 100%cough
And at least there's no bad Mii Costumes and Cuphead comes with the best song in the game with him.

link2702

Smash Champion
you know, something else that does really bug me about today's direct...

....no patches or anything for smash ultimate today. I have to wait till the 28th to see if they finally give ganondorf the buffs he needs to not continue being total garbage.....

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Uh oh, I was wrong on the internet but I think communications got frayed in some big ways. I think the order of things got hilariously ****ed up but, that's alright. Still keeping my predictions for 6 and beyond for now. Definitely a swing and a miss for 5 but, well, weirdly enough, Power of Six and Power of Two were still supported and the crippling irony is that it still wound up being a fantasy swordsman. Oh well.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
A FE character is unexpected but not surprising. Cuphead looks bomb, I hope each pass now they release in indie character with a new track. There’s a pattern now so let the indie speculation truly begin.

Fighter 6 won’t be revealed until at least a decent bit after we can buy 2nd pass on Jan 28th. Don’t know if anyone else noticed, but it said they would all be released by Dec 31st ***2021***!!! 6 characters spread across TWO YEARS!

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Well, I'm definitely gonna not stay around on this site for a bit, because it is about to get really salty in here.

I'll come back when people calm down. NOT saying people can't be disappointed in Byleth, but... well, I don't really desire to see all of this fallout. I feel so bad for Fire Emblem, because the series gets so much crap from Smash fans.
That's the risk developers take in a massive crossover. If one side is getting more attention than it should, especially if it is hard to justify it, this will inevitably annoy other fanbases. Imagine if Dissidia centered their roster/content around FFVII, FFX and FFV. One of those things doesn't belong.

And while the advice to others to be happy or not be disappointed in this is good advice, it's a sponge against a tidal wave and will only make things worse. Fact is, FE has one character less than Mario. MARIO. That's insane.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
Couldn't agree more this is really disappointing to me it's also worrisome that unrelated miis from new third party franchises came with a first party character where they could easily have added their own Mii characters. This will make Mii portions of reveals even more nerve wracking since Banjo is no longer the only outlier.
I guess there's always the possibility that those costumes were negotiated for before FP2 was a thing, and once it was decided they were doing FP2, Sakurai went back to those companies??

I dunno, I just know that if Rayman is definitely out, I'd prefer to know now than hold my breath. It's just complete bull**** that there isn't an Ubisoft rep yet.

To that end, am I the only one sick of human swordies/fighters getting into this game? It's a PLATFORM FIGHTER, add some more PLATFORMING icons ffs!

D

Deleted member

I’m disappointed but that’s my fault. I backed Doomguy hard. BUT, no sign of Geno and CUPHEAD!

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
I don't have hope for Shantae at all. It seems Indies are locked to Mii costumes at most.

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
They said 6 fighters till december 2021? So we are getting 3 this year and 3 on the next one?
3 + Byleth in 2020 would be a schedule very close to what we got in 2019:

Byleth / Joker -> released in the first quarter of the year
6 + 7 / Hero + Banjo -> release in the second quarter;
8 / Terry -> release in the last quarter;

with 9 being revealed later this in December or January 2021

What you guys think about it?

Edit: if that's true then we can get a double reveal at the E3 but sadly nothing till then...

Last edited:

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
Ladies and gentlemen, we've been hard bamboozled and I think I know what happened. What is this day?
No, what happened is we need to put these insiders and leakers into the damn trash, and I have been saying this forever. Enough with these vague hints and puzzles. If anyone knows anything just say it and leave, thank you next

Fighters Pass Volume II: 1 Pokemon, 1 Fire Emblem, Rex, 1 advertisement character, 1 random third party no one asked for and if we are lucky, maybe, 1 fan favorite

Edit: And Zippo "it can be related to Nintendo but also stand on its own" really? Fire Emblem can stand on its own? It obviously can't if it needs 24/7 Smash shilling

Last edited:

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
(155 users and 291 guests btw, hi ya'll! <3)

Does this mean the original plan was for Byleth to be THE final character for Ultimate? Or was a "round 2" planned from the start? Also, it seems like this upcoming fighter's pass was already decided, but how long ago was it decided? If it was decided, say, with the announcement of "that's not all!" after Terry, do you think they saw the requests for Geno? :nifty:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
well most of my thoughts have already been said. Happy to see 1st parties back on the table even though the spirit and AT fanrules are still in, deeply disappointed in sakurai for blatantly lying to rex's fanbase.

lost a lot of faith in cacomallow, I'll give it until e3 before discarding it completely but yikes. Still feel good about geno though

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
so Geno lives again, Still no ubisoft rep, Shantae is the lead Indie rep still with Cuphead as a Miifighter, and I can feel the salt from everyone that this was the end of the FP. And not a double reveal to help that huh?

I can see why this was kept a huge secret, if this leaked early, imagine the rage from some in the community
I don't want to bother. They flat out didn't know, end of story.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I don't even want to think about that... Well...maybe...6 actually probably wouldn't be a half bad character to end on. People would be Uber salty but it would be weirdly appropriate.
Actually, I’m not salty at all. I’m cracking up at everyone’s reactions. And Geno lives another day.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, for the hell of it, I'll jumble things around. I think what's going to happen is that Geno's still going to be 7 and that Dragonborn is 8. RIP Crash for E3 and RIP Ryu. Let's do a revision:

6- Sinestro
7- Geno
8- Dragonborn
9- Lloyd
10- Dante
11- No clue. Crash? Chief? Way too early.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
So... I’m actually immensely happy about this because, unlike fire emblem fates, Fire Emblem Three Houses is good. Sorry, scratch that, Fire Emblem Three Houses is fantastic. Fire Emblem Three Houses the best fire emblem dont @ me

So I highly recommend all you uncultured peasants go play it. And hey, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice was right all along, it WAS a medieval fantasy swordsman
And to all the would be leakers I say
BEE
TEE
EFF
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Now if you’ll excuse me I’ll... oh no
C03761A8-D851-4DFB-83BA-4DE420EBE528.jpeg

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
So, for the hell of it, I'll jumble things around. I think what's going to happen is that Geno's still going to be 7 and that Dragonborn is 8. RIP Crash for E3 and RIP Ryu. Let's do a revision:

6- Sinestro
7- Geno
8- Dragonborn
9- Lloyd
10- Dante
Sinestro? What the... Ohhhh Ahhhh Oh right. I understand have a nice day

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
User was warned for this post
Ok, I know that I'm gonna look like a salty asshole right now and ya know what? I don't even give a ****. I want you to remember that this was supposed to be our final character. They literally had this planned as the final fighter they were gonna give us for the Ultimate Smash. Another ****ing Fire Emblem character. There's no way they didn't know by this point but they still did it anyway and that's ****ing ridiculous. I understand that Smash doesn't usually end on the best reveals, but holy **** I don't think you could've dropped the ball more than this. Have they not realized by this point that adding more FE characters will just make people hate the series? Like, if anything, this only solidified the fact that I'm never buying a Fire Emblem game. Not to mention, they literally did not include Rex due to his game coming out a whole-ass year before Smash Ultimate. By the time 3 Houses was released, 3/5 fighter packs had already been announced. I didn't personally care for Joker, Hero, and Terry but I still thought they were interesting picks. This one felt like it was meant to be as aggressively uninteresting as possible. I literally zoned out from the move presentation afterwards because it looked so underwhelming.

The only good thing I have to take away is Geno's Mii costume not returning (making it more likely he'll be upgraded) and Cuphead Mii costume was pretty neat. Other than that, this was just terrible.

D

Deleted member

6- Sinestro
7- Geno
8- Dragonborn
9- Lloyd
10- Dante
Why Ryu Hayabusa? Is he losing confidence among insiders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom