• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Nothing has really happened to change those predictions at all (which, it should be emphasized, are still predictions at the end of the day), so I would assume so.
Right. But, since they are predictions and we're getting a Smash specific presentation rather than a general Nintendo Direct, I just wanted to pick his brain and see. You never know!

I think that the presentation will have a double reveal. Think about it, we have no clue how the post pass DLC will work, so what better time to announce a character that is post pass than here? Also #5 is most likely being shadowdropped.
Again, I wouldn't get your hopes up. Just go in expecting at least 1 new fighter, and then you'll be pleased If there is another one. Sometimes fans like to not take things Nintendo said at face value, but then it blows up in our face.

I know I've repeated this multiple times already. I am not trying to be a debby downer, I just don't want people to expect the moon and then get upset and dejected when Sakurai doesn't give us that.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
With the Smash Presentation happening and Fighter 5 being revealed on Thursday, I just have to post this for the occasion.

Antho

Smash Apprentice
Right. But, since they are predictions and we're getting a Smash specific presentation rather than a general Nintendo Direct, I just wanted to pick his brain and see. You never know!

Again, I wouldn't get your hopes up. Just go in expecting at least 1 new fighter, and then you'll be pleased If there is another one. Sometimes fans like to not take things Nintendo said at face value, but then it blows up in our face.

I know I've repeated this multiple times already. I am not trying to be a debby downer, I just don't want people to expect the moon and then get upset and dejected when Sakurai doesn't give us that.
Well, it’s not like they told us to not expect two fighters, like how they told us that no new fighters would be revealed in Terry’s thing. Either way I won’t get disappointed if two characters don’t get shown. It’s just extremely likely.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
I figure it's just the one reveal, followed by the gameplay showcase.

The only way we'll get a second reveal is if our is truly a "bonus" character for the fighters pass.

At best he might announce a second fighters pass at the end and tell us to stay tuned for details on that, with no character revelation.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

The only way we'll get a second reveal is if our is truly a "bonus" character for the fighters pass.

At best he might announce a second fighters pass at the end and tell us to stay tuned for details on that, with no character revelation.
The last line of your post about announcing a second Fighters' Pass and so on, that is exactly what I think will happen. Just saying.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Any last-minute predictions from you or any of your sources?
No, perfectly content.

Already did this on two Discord channels on Christmas and I'm now making this public here because one of these Smash rumors was a "Christmas gift" after wishing them a Merry Christmas.

I decided to compile all the Smash rumors from my four contacts since early November as easy reference:

-All my contacts believe that 5 and 6 will be shown in the same presentation or at least very close together.

-Most of my contacts believe Cacomallow is real. One doesn't.

-Most of my contacts believe 5 will be one of the only Western characters added. Most agree on the identity but, again, one guy doesn't. They still all agree it's a Western character though..

-Lots of disagreements about 6. Some say it's a bonus character (like Plant), one says it's a full pack, complete with a stage, music, and 6 Mii costumes. On that topic...

-One of the two Christmas rumors: For the Pack 6 rumors, character will be totally unrelated to all its content. The pack will include 4 Mii costumes from the same series and 2 indies with music from two totally different games. Supposedly it will come with a spirit board too, again, totally unrelated to the character.

-One absolutely crazy rumor from November that 5, 6, and 7 will all be revealed together. None of my contacts believe it but half have heard it.

-Based on rumors, the purpose of "Season 2" seems to be to knock out long time fan requests more than anything else. THIS IS MY OWN SPECULATION. Most of the "strongest" names in insider circles have been characters requested since Brawl or even Melee.

-According to rumors, Indies and echoes are all but confirmed toast. One of the few things all my contacts agree on. THIS IS OUR SPECULATION. Sakurai already deconfirmed echoes himself but the evidence is super stacked now that he was 100% serious. Best treatment for Indies seems to be the "Sans treatment." It's gotten to the point that Travis and Steve are the only two indies that my contacts believe have a real chance of becoming playable eventually but I honestly doubt both (especially Steve given he was already leakbait for Banjo).

-The other Christmas rumor I got from a different contact then the previous one: SNES game dump to be announced "soon" but no specific games mentioned. They had very strong guesses for three of them based on things "they knew."

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
So you are still confident in a double reveal at least?

I was actually just about to ask you your thoughts on this because I thought this meant we'll only get one reveal. Maybe that's ironic to think due to it now being a Smash Direct so the likelihood of another character is somewhat more plausible, but... idk man, remember the Terry Direct when people said it "couldn't be that long for one fighter"? Well, the wording implies one fighter here, so I'm not getting my hopes up.
On my own thoughts on this I see two possible ways for us to get a double reveal.
1- If 6 is a bonus character than I can see an additional 'surprise' reveal at the end of the presentation, like PP in the final direct.
2- I'm pretty confident that we may get more info on post pass characters, like continue the "more dlc on development announcement" that started on Banjo showcase, given us more info on what may happen next. That would be a good time to show some surprise too and set our expectations on what we can expect from that...

About a triple reveal... Idk. Maybe if we get two on this presentation with 5 + bonus then we can get the next one with seasson 2 details on the big Direct? Possible but a little stretchy i guess...

D

Deleted member

I think the odds of a bonus character are pretty good, honestly. I don't think said bonus character is our boy, but it could be and I'd be plenty happy with it, even if it means he gets no true trailer.

The length is probably fine for #5's trailer, Sakurai's walkthrough of the character, mii costumes, and an announcement of how the next DLC wave is structured, though. The best we can hope for is that Cacodemon costume and the second best we can hope for is no Geno Mii. Lofty expectations!

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
In favor of there being a second reveal. If fatman is correct about 6 being a mewtwo-like bonus intended to end dlc then it would make sense they would have planned to show it off right near then since this would probably be the last time-slot intended to be given to smash entirely.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I wonder what this would mean for a reveal timeline. Assuming 6 and 7 were recently polished aka ready to be shown, we can assume they recently filmed the presentation for these characters as well. And we know that these presentations are made at least a month in advance of the actual video drop right?

I wonder if 5 will be shown in the assumed upcoming General Direct with a Smash Direct to kick off additional DLC in February?
Sticking by this guess I made several days ago regarding character release schedule. If 6 and 7 are being polished at the same time it makes sense that they are the double reveal all along. I think we're getting just FP5 on 1/16 and 6 and 7 will be a double reveal. If not, I could see 5 and 6 both coming thursday though.

I can't wait to never speculate about FP5 ever again

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sticking by this guess I made several days ago regarding character release schedule. If 6 and 7 are being polished at the same time it makes sense that they are the double reveal all along. I think we're getting just FP5 on 1/16 and 6 and 7 will be a double reveal. If not, I could see 5 and 6 both coming thursday though.

I can't wait to never speculate about FP5 ever again
I feel like this is a good mindset to have. If Thursday doesn't have a double, then there probably won't be any question that the next General Direct will have one. It's a win-win either way.

Firox

Smash Master
Not Fatman, but since I know all these rumours going around. All the "likely" characters are just that "likely"; but not guaranteed.

For example, the likely character list currently looks like:
- Geno
- Sora
- Crash
- Ryu Hayabusa
- Waluigi
- Rex and Pyra
- Dante (remember, he's not 100% confirmed yet)
- Phoenix Wright
- Lloyd Irving
- Dragonborn/Bethesda Rep
- You can probably figure out some of the rest.

Personally I think we'll likely get another 5 characters or so; and we can expect at least 3-4 of them from the list above.

Then you get to the legacy picks that no one expects; we can expect 1-2 of those types of characters.
Don't you think Travis Touchdown qualifies for the list? He's got a brand new game coming out this year, his moveset would fit easily into the Smash format, and Suda51 is a personal friend of Sakurai's. I think someone said there was a statement by Suda51 where he kinda dismissed the idea of Travis in smash, but it could always be misdirection.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So right now I'm putting stock in #75 either being Dragonborn, Doom Slayer, or Master Chief just due to what Fatman's contects have said and it most likely being a western character.

D

Deleted member

Don't you think Travis Touchdown qualifies for the list? He's got a brand new game coming out this year, his moveset would fit easily into the Smash format, and Suda51 is a personal friend of Sakurai's. I think someone said there was a statement by Suda51 where he kinda dismissed the idea of Travis in smash, but it could always be misdirection.
My understanding is he outright said "no". Take it as you will, but I think no means no.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Hi Geno thread!

I’ve been lurking for a while since all of the juicy rumors are ending up here, so now that we got the announcement, I wanted to stop in and actually say hi.

I’ll admit, I was one of those people back in the Sm4sh days who was pretty anti-Geno because of bad interactions with people, but I’ve let most of that go lately. I have a coworker who’s a few years older than me and played SMRPG, so when I mentioned that Geno was hotly requested for Smash, he did start to get excited.

I’ve always said that if Dovahkiin gets confirmed, the first thing I’d do was to throw my support behind Geno. I don't know anything about SMRPG - I mostly stick to the western open-world RPGs in general - but Geno’s name has been thrown out for ages. Plus you guys are great at memeing, and I need to see all of the memes that could come from Todd Howard getting Skyrim in Smash...

Here’s hoping we can all get what we want.

I do want to say that this is the first time I’ve seen a speculator give a really sound theory that I 100% hope is spot on. I’ve always been terrible at predicting Smash reveals since I feel Sakurai lives to break our fanrules, but if this is right...? It would be glorious!

Anyway, thanks at least for making me feel that my most wanted isn’t a joke. Here’s hoping that Fatman’s right on the money, and everyone will be able to celebrate soon enough.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
So direct on Thursday huh? People seem to have no shortage of theories for what we will see there. I'm blissfully in the dark here. It has been somewhat frustrating waiting this long for info but at the same time I love not having any clue who could show up Thursday. And Fatman suspects we could see Crash at E3? That information, if true, would make me ecstatic.

OffBi

Smash Ace
So how do you think mii costumes of fire emblem 3 cast would work?
I imagine that they all have swords.

Firox

Smash Master
My understanding is he outright said "no". Take it as you will, but I think no means no.
You mean like the time Sakurai straight-up said no to Ridley? Or the time Sakurai said that "Nintendo is deciding the DLC", then proceeds to add several of his own personal favorites? (Joker and Terry, that we know for sure) My point is, "no" can be subjective, have a time limit, or sometimes be a magical thing called "untrue" so as to shut people up. Or it could be true. Just sayin'. Imagine if Suda had said anything BUT no. You know how the fanbase is. They would have been crawling up his rectum with a microscope for answers.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
I've mentioned this before, but I don't think it means that much; but he could still get in.

The main problem with Travis Touchdown is that NMH is incredibly niche in Japan. Pretty much all the games failed financially over there; and some carried to just meh through an international release.

As for your other points, there are many characters out there that could fit well into Smash, I can think of 30 more with little difficulty.

And yes, Sakurai is friends with Suda51; but a person with Sakurai's influence likely knows a ton of people in all the major Japanese development studios; so Suda51 isn't really that special, a ton of people want to get in Smash.

So really the only piece of evidence for Travis is that Nintendo is publishing NMH 3; which really isn't indicative of Smash even though I wish it was.

Another example of this would be someone like Neku from TWEWY; Nintendo helped published the remaster, but that didn't mean Neku got in Smash.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I'm starting to feel this, but is anyone else reaching the point of not caring about character 5 anymore? I really just want them revealed and have the developers just move onto the next characters. I am getting a bit unhyped for number 5 right now.

I'd rather we get information on how post pass works and who the next character from that will be. Sounds like post FP 6 and 7 could be fan favorites like Geno. But 5? We know it's very highly a completely new series, 3rd party and not already seen in any way in Smash. And after Nintendo kept dragging this out by avoiding 5's reveal almost until the end, I really don't have any interest about number 5.

EDIT! Oh wow, I just saw the update that the reveal will happen Thursday. Still, I'm more excited that it will be done, rather than who it is.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
So how do you think mii costumes of fire emblem 3 cast would work?
I imagine that they all have swords.
Edelgard and Dimitri with Axe/Lance “swords” and Claude as a gunner with a bow that’s inexplicably his hand and shoots lasers

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm starting to feel this, but is anyone else reaching the point of not caring about character 5 anymore? I really just want them revealed and have the developers just move onto the next characters. I am getting a bit unhyped for number 5 right now.

I'd rather we get information on how post pass works and who the next character from that will be. Sounds like post FP 6 and 7 could be fan favorites like Geno. But 5? We know it's very highly a completely new series, 3rd party and not already seen in any way in Smash. And after Nintendo kept dragging this out by avoiding 5's reveal almost until the end, I really don't have any interest about number 5.
I agree, I want to skip forward to the good ****.

D

Deleted member

I know he likely isn't Fighter 5 but I do think he will show up at some point so here ya go
PicsArt_01-14-10.51.46.jpg

D

Deleted member

EDIT! Oh wow, I just saw the update that the reveal will happen Thursday. Still, I'm more excited that it will be done, rather than who it is.
I think it's fair to say they really missed the mark with #5, not in terms of character (which it's impossible to say if they missed the mark, yet), but in terms of getting people hyped for them. They had every opportunity to treat them like the rest of the Fighters Pass and show them a few months before they launched, but in very Nintendo fashioned squandered the chance. I think they tested the limit of how long before hype turns to indifference and unfortunately, passed the limit.

Early December was the sweet spot - none of Terry's thunder would have been stolen and we wouldn't have dealt with a drought of information that ultimately started to make us want the "end" more than the character.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

If it’s dante

Sabi and Vergeben are done for
You know, if a Nintendo Direct is next month, I am betting it will be on February 13th, as that is a date mentioned in this tweet as to when to expect updates.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom