• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
I'll never cheer for a user's ban, but I don't really understand why you'd miss wynn.

I'm fine with doubters, in fact I welcome them because it is healthy. But... heh, as I've said before, he CONSTANTLY spouted the same things and clearly took character choices personally. He legitimately thought Sakurai didn't care when he clearly did. Whenever there was proof that negated wynn's argument, he wouldn't address it and just continue on his way. He wouldn't ever let things go. As I said before m, he constantly beat in already dead horse. He was to the point of beating the horse's bones.

Even more questionable, he literally didn't believe in Geno at all. ...so, why was in he in here? Literally every single comment on his was a negative passive-aggressive comment. People don't like to be told how to feel? wynn would literally always storm in saying something akin to "man I can't believe people are thinking this." Always. "Oh but you have to respect his opinion." ...okay? Does that mean he needs to CONSTANTLY say the same negative garbage? It was always passive-aggressive comments about characters or Sakurai's choices 99.99%/100%. He would always say "oh but I like others things." ...except literally only ONE TIME (recently) did he actually say those things, despite him being prodded and asked many times to explain himself before. I know telling people to leave the thread is not good, but... what's the point of staying in the thread if you're gonna constantly say Geno has no chance and you're super jaded by character speculation?

I've gone on this tangent before, but it isn't like it is unfounded. Mods have even agreed (along with a lot of the thread regulars). I don't hate wynn, let me make that clear. And I, and many others, have suggested that if he were more balanced in the things he said, that he'd get less flack.

I don't mind the concept of wynn; someone who keeps the thread level-headed and tries to help with expectations. But basically everyone in the thread agrees, he didn't need to do it as frequently, nor as critically and passive-aggressively. He would get on people for not being realistic, yet when giving complaints, he'd ignore things that have happened and the reality of things just to fit his echo chamber. I just don't understand why you'd come here if you think Geno has 0 chances and you constantly are passive-aggressive and tell people to calm down. I'd like to see wynn back and changed, but the chances of that are unlikely based on past experiences.
I've briefly expressed that I don't really mind wynn, but by all means, the feelings you and others about him have are not unfounded. A lot of his posts boil down to the same ol' tired "Sakurai doesn't care about the fans" schtick from what I've seen, to the point he's not just beating a dead horse, but that dead horse decomposed and he's now beating the ground, and he just generally tends to take things personally and have that passive-aggressive behavior you're talking about. Probably, the only reason I don't mind him much here is because I haven't really engaged with him much at all.

That said, even though he's... not quite one of my favorite regulars in the thread either, let's put it like that, I can see the good in him. He at least acts civil (though passive-aggresive) most of the time, he's had his moments of not being super jaded, and like you, I do see value in having a person in the thread who's a little more skeptical and argues against our thoughts in a respectfull, or as I put it, the Yin to our Yang. I think we can all agree at the very least that, like everyone else, he could use some self-improvement. Learning from his mistakes to work on being a better person and all that jazz. Now I know he's infamously one of the most dense people in the thread, but I think everyone has a chance to turn over a new leaf. Who knows, his recent ban could even serve as a wake up call to him, though I have my doubts. It's up to him.

Hope that didn't sound too campy lmao.

D

Deleted member

This threads initial reaction to Hero says otherwise
Looked back to those pages. It was funny to see everyone's reaction was like "Ugh, Hero" then it went to "BANJO, OH MY GOD." And to be honest, I had the same reaction.

D

Deleted member

Don't worry wynn728 wynn728 Despite how silly your arguments were and how annoying you may have gotten, I've always respected your vigor even if you were a little ridiculous at times. I'll personally welcome you back into our thread anytime.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Hey, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , among the last few pages, you kinda replied to me on how I said I feared that Dante being in Smash would affect Geno's chances. You did say Dante would not affect Geno's chances, but what about Dante affecting the other characters you predicted many pages back, like Crash and Ryu later on, a Skyrim character, Wa-I mean Purple Pie Man, etc. I am asking because among the predictions you made by then, Dante was not one of those back then, and I am also asking what if this affects Geno's chances in getting in ALONG with the other characters you predicted. What are your thoughts on this.

MattX20

Smash Hero
The problem I had less to do with the Dragon Quest heroes, but more to do with toxic leak bandwagoning and the constant putdowns people had to put up with if they wanted other characters Square owned. Not so much on Smashboards, but definitely on Discord.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
The problem I had less to do with the Dragon Quest heroes, but more to do with toxic leak bandwagoning and the constant putdowns people had to put up with if they wanted other characters Square owned. Not so much on Smashboards, but definitely on Discord.
"Haha what? You want something different than what I think is likely? Haha hoes mad! Look at how entitled you are! Stop being a crybaby. I can't believe that you haven't played literally every video game ever and made a connection with every character in them. I hate Smash fans." - Smash fans

Droodle

Smash Lord
Hey, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , among the last few pages, you kinda replied to me on how I said I feared that Dante being in Smash would affect Geno's chances. You did say Dante would not affect Geno's chances, but what about Dante affecting the other characters you predicted many pages back, like Crash and Ryu later on, a Skyrim character, Wa-I mean Purple Pie Man, etc. I am asking because among the predictions you made by then, Dante was not one of those back then, and I am also asking what if this affects Geno's chances in getting in ALONG with the other characters you predicted. What are your thoughts on this.
Not Fatman, but since I know all these rumours going around. All the "likely" characters are just that "likely"; but not guaranteed.

For example, the likely character list currently looks like:
- Geno
- Sora
- Crash
- Ryu Hayabusa
- Waluigi
- Rex and Pyra
- Dante (remember, he's not 100% confirmed yet)
- Phoenix Wright
- Lloyd Irving
- Dragonborn/Bethesda Rep
- You can probably figure out some of the rest.

Personally I think we'll likely get another 5 characters or so; and we can expect at least 3-4 of them from the list above.

Then you get to the legacy picks that no one expects; we can expect 1-2 of those types of characters.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Don't forget the ****ing Hoes Mad "meme" on Twitter.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Not Fatman,
Yeah, sure, whatever.

but since I know all these rumours going around. All the "likely" characters are just that "likely"; but not guaranteed.

- Geno
- Sora
- Crash
- Ryu Hayabusa
- Waluigi
- Rex and Pyra
- Phoenix Wright
- Lloyd Irving

Personally I think we'll likely get another 5 characters or so; and we can expect at least 3-4 of them from the list above.

Then you get to the legacy picks that no one expects; we can expect 1-2 of those types of characters.
Are you sure Dante was not just added there recently?

Still, I bet we will get characters no one will expect. I wonder who it will be? Bubsy, maybe? *Bricked*

Droodle

Smash Lord
Yeah, sure, whatever.

Are you sure Dante was not just added there recently?

Still, I bet we will get characters no one will expect. I wonder who it will be? Bubsy, maybe? *Bricked*
In regards to Dante, there is a ton of points supporting him currently; but it's better to assume that he isn't confirmed until he is. Currently based on rumours etc (I keep very well informed on this stuff), I'd rate Dante pretty high in likelihood; but then again, I would also rate Lloyd and Ryu Hayabusa up there as well. I'm still uncertain on Geno and Waluigi, but I think those character also have a relatively good shot post pass. Sora and Crash are wildcards that could go either way.

Obviously we won't be seeing all those characters in (most likely), and I expect at least 1 smaller character that no one predicted kind of like Terry. There really isn't a frontrunner in this category, so my personal predictions are Adol/Reimu.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
In regards to Dante, there is a ton of points supporting him currently; but it's better to assume that he isn't confirmed until he is. Currently based on rumours etc (I keep very well informed on this stuff), I'd rate Dante pretty high in likelihood; but then again, I would also rate Lloyd and Ryu Hayabusa up there as well. I'm still uncertain on Geno and Waluigi, but I think those character also have a relatively good shot post pass. Sora and Crash are wildcards that could go either way.

Obviously we won't be seeing all those characters in (most likely), and I expect at least 1 smaller character that no one predicted kind of like Terry. There really isn't a frontrunner in this category, so my personal predictions are Adol/Reimu.
When it comes to not knowing things, there is really no frontrunner in anything. I wonder if there will be more unexpected picks than we think? I mean, we will likely see some of these characters on the list, but how many on the list would actually make it in compared to unexpected ones? We don't know for sure, of course, but it's a little feeling I have.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I had left Smashboards for awhile, specifically around the time Hero and Banjo got announced. What happened?
I admittedly wasn't there at the time of that reveal dropping, but I don't believe it'd be a stretch to think that people were pretty devestated. The main reason being that Hero getting in basically put the kaibosh on Geno due to him being a SquareEnix character (it was and still is near-universally agreed that no company is going to get two of their characters in the Fighter Pass, which was all we knew we were getting at the time), and with him being that SquareEnix character, he would come with the returning Geno Mii Fighter Costume.

Of course we all know how that turned out...
GenoCrab.png

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Not Fatman, but since I know all these rumours going around. All the "likely" characters are just that "likely"; but not guaranteed.

- Geno
- Sora
- Crash
- Ryu Hayabusa
- Waluigi
- Rex and Pyra
- Phoenix Wright
- Lloyd Irving

And also Arle Nadja. Papagenos brought up a lot of points pointing toward her recently. I know you said "You can figure out others", but I think she is one of the top frontrunners, even more so than some of the characters here like Ryu and Rex.

D

Deleted member

Just that everyone was really disappointed.
Speak for yourself. DQ is a series that is more than deserving to be involved in Smash. Then once Geno's Mii costume wasn't revealed, I knew that everything would be alright.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
My current prediction is that, based on the timing of things, Dante will be the last character of "Season 2" or the first character of the "Final Season: Sakurai Runs Out of Addreall." I think insiders hearing Geno, Lloyd, Randy Johnson, and Ryu back in 2018 was significant. Like I said earlier today, I think insiders hearing Dante, Sol Badguy, Crash, and (albeit at the tail end) Master Chief in 2019 was significant too but I believe most of these characters could potentially come after the first four. My current theory is that Crash could be an E3 2020 reveal because his current situation is eerily similar to Banjo's and things have played out fairly similarly.

Droodle

Smash Lord
When it comes to not knowing things, there is really no frontrunner in anything. I wonder if there will be more unexpected picks than we think? I mean, we will likely see some of these characters on the list, but how many on the list would actually make it in compared to unexpected ones? We don't know for sure, of course, but it's a little feeling I have.
Knowing Sakurai, he always likes to give smaller (but still influential) at least some sort of shout out. The only thing I can say is that when you're searching for potential "unexpected 3rd party" characters; always look towards Japan first. Sakurai has made it clear in interviews that while he does enjoy putting in Smash fan favorites in, he also see's Smash as a way to promote the Japanese games industry.

MattX20

Smash Hero
The fact that Arle wasn't Sega's character originally and not Puyo Puyo original does at least mean she has more to work with for a potential moveset. So, she has quite a bit to work with like Geno.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
My current prediction is that, based on the timing of things, Dante will be the last character of "Season 2" or the first character of the "Final Season: Sakurai Runs Out of Addreall." I think insiders hearing Geno, Lloyd, Randy Johnson, and Ryu back in 2018 was significant. Like I said earlier today, I think insiders hearing Dante, Sol Badguy, Crash, and (albeit at the tail end) Master Chief in 2019 was significant too but I believe most of these characters could potentially come after the first four. My current theory is that Crash could be an E3 2020 reveal because his current situation is eerily similar to Banjo's and things have played out fairly similarly.
So, Crash might be at E3 like how Banjo was?

No one seems to appreciate the furry animal video game characters these days. :troll:

Droodle

Smash Lord
And also Arle Nadja. Papagenos brought up a lot of points pointing toward her recently. I know you said "You can figure out others", but I think she is one of the top frontrunners, even more so than some of the characters here like Ryu and Rex.
Yeah, obviously I didn't manage to think of all the likely characters; but I agree, Arle has a decent shot. I also think Travis may POTENTIALLY be in the likely category, but Travis is incredibly niche (WAY more then Terry and Bayo) so...

D

Deleted member

Speak for yourself. DQ is a series that is more than deserving to be involved in Smash. Then once Geno's Mii costume wasn't revealed, I knew that everything would be alright.
Woah. No need to be upset. I wasn’t even here in June. I’m just assuming.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, Crash might be at E3 like how Banjo was?

No one seems to appreciate the furry animal video game characters these days. :troll:
My current prediction is that E3 2020 will be Lloyd and Crash, practically a repeat of last year: one JRPG swordsman and one late 90's platforming mammal in shorts. I don't think the Crash rumors coming up around E3 last year was a total coincidence, I think this was when he was either pitched or negotiated for.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Woah. No need to be upset. I wasn’t even here in June. I’m just assuming.
Excuse me? I'm not upset pal so you can holster your assumptions. Those who didn't like the inclusion of DQ are in the minority. Most were either ecstatic or neutral about it so don't start speaking for everyone if you weren't even present at the time, kiddo.

Last edited by a moderator:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Excuse me? I'm not upset pal so you can holster your assumptions. Those who didn't like the inclusion of DQ are in the minority. Most were either ecstatic or mutual about it so don't start speaking for everyone if you weren't even present at the time, kiddo.
HEY HEY! Easy there! No need to act like that to GodzillaGuy there! You can do better than that!

D

Deleted member

HEY HEY! Easy there! No need to act like that to GodzillaGuy there! You can do better than that!
Well it's not the first time he's said some dumb **** here and if he's going to continue doing that, I will call his ass out on it. It paints us all in a negative light. Haters of our fanbase will eat that up and think we all feel this way.

D

Deleted member

Well it's not the first time he's said some dumb **** here and if he's going to continue doing that, I will call his ass out on it. It paints us all in a negative light. Haters of our fanbase will eat that up and think we all feel this way.
Like I said, just relax. Again, I wasn’t here in June, so how would I know? Also, who says I’m speaking for everyone?

Last edited by a moderator:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
There is no need to do it the way you are doing, or even do that at all. You should be more respectful and nicer to others, no matter what they do. He said he wasn't here during E3 2019. So that is one thing about him at least that you should not get on his case about. You're no better than him by acting that way towards him and calling him things like "dumb".

castinets98

Smash Cadet

I know I'm not Fatman (or Droodle), but I'll throw in my two cents on any Dante/Geno correlation.

I think there are a few ways to approach the Geno situation with regards to post-pass, but the most straightforward
follows a train of thought that synthesizes a bunch of rumors and coincidences and logistical insights that seem to indicate that post-pass will center around readily obtainable and oft-requested characters based on existing assets. Lloyd is the most obvious example of a character that fits this bill, part of the team that made Tales of Symphonia works on SSBU and his yet-to-appear costume and sword-wielding style make him an easier but still appreciated character for DLC.

While Geno isn't as cut and dry, his rights are at least somewhat negotiated for already and his costume and proportional similarity to Megaman and Mii Gunner seem to make him yet another example of a low-cost high-yield piece of post pass DLC.

Boris Wadenov is another poster child for this approach to post pass. If he's in, he'll make the lil mac transition from AT to playable look like a downright overhaul.

We probably also have a lot of elements in the game already to make a very respectable Ryu Hayabusa and Crash Bandicoot, though obviously those 2 take a little more time to go through legal.

Dante, on the other hand, comes off to me as a character who plays very uniquely and who could end up with a moveset unlike too many others in the game currently. He will inevitably share traits with some pre-existing fighters because that's how Smash newcomer dev works at this point, but he is a far (devil may) cry from Greninja plus Sheik = Ryu H.

Additionally, while Dante is very requested and is from a relatively friendly and giving third party in Capcom, he definitely is more in the Terry / Joker lane of feeling like a true guest character, historically and stylistically alien to Nintendo's aesthetic.

If Dante is a near-lock, he could portend a second season more in line with the first, in which Smash fan requests are respected but given lower priority than Third Party Diplomacy. Dante fits in with Lloyd and Geno because of the Capcom ties, but his mature tone also lets him sit well next to Sol Badguy, Master Chief and (tolerate my goofiness) Kazuma Kiryu.

Personally, I'm inclined to think Dante may have been the result of an attempt to make Resident Evil playable falling through, such that he was actually greenlit in the middle of the first pass to replace, say, Jill Valentine as the fifth character in the current pass or simply to be added at some point in the second wave to give capcom a newcomer. (In this scenario, we could speculate that a character was moved from post pass to 5 in order to make up for the Jill mishap, hence the delayed reveal).

TL;DR: Geno fits with a certain tone and approach to post pass that Dante can mesh with or clash with. He's no Master Chief but he's no Lloyd either.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Like I said, just relax. Again, I wasn’t here in June, so how would I know?
I don't know why you keep getting this impression that I'm riled up by this. I'm calm dude but I'm not gonna stand by and hear you say such silly things. We're not a hivemind. Start using your head before making such asinine statements or just stick to the memes.
There is no need to do it the way you are doing, or even do that at all. You should be more respectful and nicer to others, no matter what they do. He said he wasn't here during E3 2019. So that is one thing about him at least that you should not get on his case about. You're no better than him by acting that way towards him and calling him things like "dumb".
I didn't call him dumb. I just said he's said dumb things. ¯\_(o_O)_/¯ I'm only pointing it out for his own good. No need to get defensive.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I know I'm not Fatman (or Droodle), but I'll throw in my two cents on any Dante/Geno corollation.

I think there are a few ways to approach the Geno situation with regards to post-pass, but the most straightforward
follows a train of thought that synthesizes a bunch of rumors and coincidences and logistical insights that seem to indicate that post-pass will center around readily obtainable and oft-requested characters based on existing assets. Lloyd is the most obvious example of character that fits this bill, part of the team that made Tales of Symphonia works on SSBU and his yet-to-appear costume and sword-wielding style make him an easier but still appreciated character for DLC.

While Geno isn't as cut and dry, his rights are at least somewhat negotiated for already and his costume and proportionally similarity to Megaman and Mii Gunner seem to make him yet another example of a low-cost high-yield piece of post pass DLC.

Boris Wadenov is maybe the post child for this approach to post pass. If he's in, he'll make the lil mac transition from AT to playable look like a downright overhaul.

We probably also have a lot of elements in the game already to make a very respectable Ryu Hayabusa and Crash Bandicoot, though obviously those 2 take a little more time to go through legal.

Dante, on the other hand, comes off to me as a character who plays very uniquely and who could end up with a moveset unlike too many others in the game currently. He will inevitably share traits with some pre-existing fighters because that's how Smash newcomer dev works at this point, but he is a far (devil may) cry from Greninja plus Sheik = Ryu H.

Additionally, while Dante is very requested and is from a relatively friendly and giving third party in Capcom, he definitely is more in the Terry / Joker lane of feeling like a true guest character, historically and stylistically alien to Nintendo's aesthetic.

If Dante is a near-lock, he could portend a second season more in line with the first, in which Smash fan requests are respected but given lower priority than Third Party Diplomacy. Dante fits in with Lloyd and Geno because of the Capcom ties, but his mature tone also lets him sit well next to Sol Badguy, Master Chief and (tolerate my goofiness) Kazuma Kiryu.

Personally, I'm inclined to think Dante may have been the result of an attempt to make Resident Evil playable falling through, such that he was actually greenlit in the middle of the first pass to replace, say, Jill Valentine as the fifth character in the current pass or simply to be added at some point in the second wave to give capcom a newcomer. (In this scenario, we could speculate that a character was moved from post pass to 5 in order to make up for the Jill mishap, hence the delayed reveal).

TL;DR: Geno fits with a certain tone and approach to post pass that Dante can mesh with or clash with. He's no Master Chief but he's no Lloyd either.
Interesting read there. You do make it seem complex, and I bet it is, but I understand where you are coming from. If I read it correctly, maybe some characters are easier to get than others as of now? Either way, I would not mind Dante. I could reenact the Death Battle! between him and Bayonetta for fun.

D

Deleted member

I don't know why you keep getting this impression that I'm riled up by this. I'm calm dude but I'm not gonna stand by and hear you say such silly things. We're not a hivemind. Start using your head before making such asinine statements or just stick to the memes.

I didn't call him dumb. I just said he's said dumb things. ¯\_(o_O)_/¯ I'm only pointing it out for his own good. No need to get defensive.
I don’t need you pointing out things for my own good. I can figure out things for myself thank you very much. You are the one who’s making assumptions. And don’t worry I will stick to the memes.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

No need to get offensive or on his case, either. Plus, even if you said he said dumb things, that doesn't matter. It is still a bad thing to do. There was no need to do this. Don't pick on the guy just because you feel like you need to do something about what he said. Just control yourself. I doubt you are being calm as you say by the way you are talking to him, anyways.

castinets98

Smash Cadet
The true common denominator between Dante and Geno is that they would both be fun and well-received, I hope they are both in the game by the end of this year.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I wish I spoke up around August/September, because I've been calling Arle/Puyo Puyo as part of the fighter's pass since then.

Most have pointed it out earlier, but most of that falls at the hands of people who didn't like Geno making fun of other Geno fans at the expense of Dragon Quest (ie. Hoes Mad).

Although, I don't want to confuse disappointment with toxicity. Geno fans are more or less victims of toxic behavior, not instigators.

The true common denominator between Dante and Geno is that they would both be fun and well-received, I hope they are both in the game by the end of this year.
I agree. I don't know much about DMC but I can't ignore how huge Dante would be in Smash Bros. I won't believe it until more develops. Sabi's VA reporting is not something I would take as legitimate.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, Dante would be awesome. Another fighter with a motorcycle would be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom