• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

OffBi

Smash Ace
What they shown as evidence doesn't confirm 100% their arguments. A general direct could still solve what they are presenting as a "problem". Speaking of:

+1 Evidence for a General Direct. There's so much piling up for a direct this week without "insider info" that it isn't even funny.
MFW when we know stuff without the insiders
download.jpeg

pinshadow

Smash Lord

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

Antho

Smash Apprentice
I just checked the maintenance times and it seems like maintenance is happening tomorrow and Wednesday. So, there is a slight chance we could get a direct announced in around 20 minutes or 80 minutes. If not, we’ll have to wait until tomorrow for a direct announcement. Though, the last time a non game focused, non indie, non E3 direct has been on a Tuesday... was in 2013. I’m not expecting it that much, so tomorrow will probably be the day they announce it, if there is one.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Anyone seen the new PapaGenos video about Pic of the Day Theory?

I think it could go either way honestly. Not putting too much stock in it though. Remember the Rathalos picture with the Fire Emblem bois and Shulk? Everyone at the time thought that was hinting at Isaac and turn out it wasn't.

Last edited:

Antho

Smash Apprentice
Anyone seen the new PapaGenos video about Pic of the Day Theory?

I think it could go either way honestly. Not putting too much stock in it though. Remember the Rathalos picture with the Fire Emblem bois and Shulk? Everyone at the time thought that was hinting at Isaac and turn out it wasn't.
I think it doesn’t mean anything. Sakurai’s just mainly posting these for fun, as he stated when he started posting them, and if there was a hidden meaning behind some of them, wouldn’t there be a hidden meaning behind all of them? But no one ever brings up the one with the 8 Jokers, or the various others. Sakurai is also not one who would tease fighters, at least in my opinion. (I don’t necessarily think the custom Witch stage in the Joker presentation was hinting at Banjo at all.) But, sure, he could tease one fighter, I guess. But the next four? I just don’t see it, otherwise he might as well just say who the next 4 fighters are. Also, Miiverse’s Pic of the Day teased veterans, but they were veterans and not brand new fighters.

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
PIKMIN 4 BAYBEYYYYY
"Pikmin 4?"

*takes long puff of cigarette

Why that's a name I haven't heard for years...

Since the "near completion" summer of '15. Those were much simpler times...

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I have a hard time believing Bethesda is Fighter 5 based on a Sep 2018 interview they did regarding Smash.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._bros_future_nintendo_exclusives_are_possible

If there really was a plan to have a character in the Fighters Pass, wouldn't that be breaking the NDA talking about it and confirming it? Because i'm pretty sure you're supposed to say something among the lines of "No Comment" or "Not at this time" when asked about something like this. Either that or you beat around the bush with a very PR, non-answer response but instead Pete Hines said yes outright.

If nothing else, that would be indicative of talks for after the Pass given more DLC was likely in the cards beforehand (Nintendo was likely talking to Koei Tecmo around this time for Hayabusa as well based on rumors for him). But for that reason, I can't see how Bethesda gets the Fighter 5 spot and I don't know how your contacts are so confident it's that.
I dunno. I'm so tired of this topic especially given I've never even played a Bethesda game and have no real attachment to any of its characters. A couple of things:

-Bethesda and Skyrim have a goofy amount going for them. I've made a lot of posts about it and I'm currently on a caffeine crash so I don't feel like recapping every point.

-Not all NDAs are the same. We have no idea what the conditions are or if they're that strict. Also, talking about Smash to Nintendo is worlds different than outright confirming Smash content. Again, we have no idea how strict a hypothetical NDA would be because that's probably on a legal NTKB.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I dunno. I'm so tired of this topic especially given I've never even played a Bethesda game and have no real attachment to any of its characters. A couple of things:

-Bethesda and Skyrim have a goofy amount going for them. I've made a lot of posts about it and I'm currently on a caffeine crash so I don't feel like recapping every point.

-Not all NDAs are the same. We have no idea what the conditions are or if they're that strict. Also, talking about Smash to Nintendo is worlds different than outright confirming Smash content. Again, we have no idea how strict a hypothetical NDA would be because that's probably on a legal NTKB.
IDK. It seems like they would want to deny it or not say anything for the sake of not disclosing any potential deal they made for the Fighters Pass. The interview in question made it sound like talks were still ongoing and nothing was finalized yet. So yeah, i'm having a lot of trouble buying in to Dragonborn personally.

D

Deleted member

Square Actually Gives a **** Timeline: Last two costumes are "premium" Square Enix Mii costumes with music. Two potential guesses are Sephiroth and Crono with a track or two from their respective games. Both are overpriced but people begrudgingly buy them anyways because, ****, the music tracks are probably worth $5 by themselves.
I can see a Sephiroth Swordsman costume but I'd bet there's a better chance we'd get a Tifa Brawler and Barret Gunner costumes before any other SE properties. Mostly to co-exist with the FF7 remake coming this year. That's just me though.

Antho

Smash Apprentice
IDK. It seems like they would want to deny it or not say anything for the sake of not disclosing any potential deal they made for the Fighters Pass. The interview in question made it sound like talks were still ongoing and nothing was finalized yet. So yeah, i'm having a lot of trouble buying in to Dragonborn personally.
To be completely fair, they didn’t ask if a character of theirs was going to be in Smash, just if Nintendo talked to Bethesda about it. Usually people only say “no comment” if people ask about a specific character. That, and the Fighter’s Pass wasn’t revealed to the public in September 2018. So hypothetically, the talks they had at that point could have been for base game, and then later they made negotiations for DLC. After all, the last DLC character for the pass was supposedly chosen in late October/early November. That’s just my take on it, though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't believe in Dragonborn at all, but I think it's important to note that if a company is under NDA, it's a fair assumption to make that if they're pressed for an answer, especially in a live setting, they don't have to say "no comment", especially when that can easily be construed as an admission. To offer a real world example, a certain contentious political figure has made the statement that "pleading the fifth" is a sure sign of guilt - while this isn't necessarily the truth, it isn't entirely a lie. An answer that isn't "yes" or "no" leaves a lot to be assumed, true or not.

It's been shot around before, but I think that any comprehensive NDA likely prohibits parties from saying "no" as well as "yes" to the very specific question of a character being in Smash. "No" is just as potentially damaging to the reputation of the game as "yes" is to the surprise, hence why I have previously asserted that Grant Kirkhope never outright said "no", but instead used phrases akin to "don't get your hopes up".

To take it back to Bethesda, I believe that the primary reason behind people's assumptions that they have a character in Smash is due to them stating "oh yeah" in an interview when asked if they had spoken to Nintendo about Smash Bros... which is an incredibly safe response when you factor in the things I've just listed. They aren't denying or confirming a character in the game, and also aren't raising suspicions by "pleading the fifth". It's probably safe to say that most any company, big name or not, has talked to Nintendo about Smash. WayForward and Yacht Club could have said the exact same thing, if asked, and likely would have been within the bounds of an NDA. I think the absolute limits of just how cheeky you can be with it were pushed by Toby Fox.

Mostly to co-exist with the FF7 remake coming this year.
You mean the game Sephiroth is from?

D

Deleted member

Okay, Look I know there's Devil May Cry and Ace Attorney fans some want The Pizza eating badass demon hunter in . Others want the cool snazzy looking lawyer with a sharp mind and quick on his feet objections to defend his clients.

Both are cool characters and I'd like to see ether in I don't much about ether series but I hope too one day. Dante's awesome I support him and he's one of the characters I hope gets in.

Pheonix would be awesome too. He'd be a great addition. Let's just try to respect both fan bases and not turn this into a Dante vs. Pheonix Devil May Cry vs. Ace Attorney thing.

As of right now there's stuff towards Dante but we're not sure if he'll be in he might end up as a Mii Costume for all we know. I don't know myself but let's see what happens.

Anyway my thoughts on the matter nobody cares I know. But let's move on.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

You mean the game Sephiroth is from?
Uhm, yes?

I don't understand the context of your question. I acknowledged that a Sephiroth costume is likely. I was trying to say that Sephiroth, Tifa and Barret would be the likeliest outcomes because A) Remake and 2) There's one costume per Mii Fighter. I wasn't dismissing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
To be completely fair, they didn’t ask if a character of theirs was going to be in Smash, just if Nintendo talked to Bethesda about it. Usually people only say “no comment” if people ask about a specific character. That, and the Fighter’s Pass wasn’t revealed to the public in September 2018. So hypothetically, the talks they had at that point could have been for base game, and then later they made negotiations for DLC. After all, the last DLC character for the pass was supposedly chosen in late October/early November. That’s just my take on it, though.
It was revealed then but the selection of characters was done before the November Smash Direct. Meaning by that point, the fighters were most likely already selected and were a done deal. With that in mind, it's a lot more likely that a non-answer or no would be used rather than being all like "yeah we did talk to Nintendo".

I don't claim to be an expert on NDA's and all but I think it's a black mark against Dragonborn as Fighter 5. I'll take the L if i'm wrong.

D

Deleted member

Uhm, yes?

I don't understand the context of your question. I acknowledged that a Sephiroth costume is likely. I was trying to say that Sephiroth, Tifa and Barret would be the likeliest outcomes because A) Remake and 2) There's one costume per Mii Fighter. I wasn't dismissing it.
Sorry, I thought you were saying that you could see Sephiroth but thought that Tifa and Barret were more likely to promote FF7 remake. I mean, you said there's a "better chance" we'd see them rather than Sephiroth, and I thought your reasoning was promotion and it just didn't click with me.

Firox

Smash Master
Square Actually Gives a **** Timeline
LOL There's a timeline where Square gives a ****? Hilarious. Reminds me of when Peter from Family Guy was teaching a room of children....

"And if you're REAL good, when you die, you go to a beautiful, shining place called Heaven."

(Kids look up at him, bright-eyed) "REALLY???"

"Pssssh, no. You just rot in the ground."

(Jaws drop in horror)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So if any 3rd party company could go beyond the fan rule of just receiving two fighters per game who should it be? I think Capcom deserves more than two fighters per game, but I also think Square-Enix does too. I prefer Capcom and it's characters, but I'll go with Square-Enix because they just have too many big names that shouldn't be overlooked.

Antho

Smash Apprentice
It was revealed then but the selection of characters was done before the November Smash Direct. Meaning by that point, the fighters were most likely already selected and were a done deal. With that in mind, it's a lot more likely that a non-answer or no would be used rather than being all like "yeah we did talk to Nintendo".

I don't claim to be an expert on NDA's and all but I think it's a black mark against Dragonborn as Fighter 5. I'll take the L if i'm wrong.
Fair, then. I don’t necessarily want a Bethesda character either. I don’t really even have my hopes that high for 5 because there’s almost no chance it’ll be any of my most wanted characters.

D

Deleted member

Sorry, I thought you were saying that you could see Sephiroth but thought that Tifa and Barret were more likely to promote FF7 remake. I mean, you said there's a "better chance" we'd see them rather than Sephiroth, and I thought your reasoning was promotion and it just didn't click with me.
I thought it was implied that I included Sephiroth with the others when I said there's a better chance they'd get costumes before other SE properties. I probably coulda worded it better but it's all good.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
So if any 3rd party company could go beyond the fan rule of just receiving two fighters per game who should it be? I think Capcom deserves more than two fighters per game, but I also think Square-Enix does too. I prefer Capcom and it's characters, but I'll go with Square-Enix because they just have too many big names that shouldn't be overlooked.
That hasnt been a rule since Mega Man and Ryu in 4

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, do you guys think Dante from Devil May Cry is likely as a next fighter or do you find him unlikely?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom