• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
(As people have said, I'd just leave it so mods don't come in.)
I simply replied once, to help explain why we feel that way, then left it to a report.

Not personally a fan of trying to run someone out of a thread, but I can't enforce that anyway, so eh. I can suggest why it's not a good idea, which is fair enough.

On another note, now I want to see a Shovel Knight-based hack starring Geno. >.>

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Damnit, Mushroomguy12 is trying to get this thread locked. Why won't the mods step in already to take action before this get's any worse.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Damnit, Mushroomguy12 is trying to get this thread locked. Why won't the mods step in already to take action before this get's any worse.
Can we please not do this? That assumes he's maliciously trying to cause trouble. Like, he was being unfair, sure. But that's a whole different thing and seems very unnecessary to say as is.

Coincidentally a mod just arrived.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I literally didn't even say anything since your last reply, the thread was moving on and YOU decided to bring me back into this. If you want me to leave then why don't you LEAVE ME ALONE!

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Reminder: the more you feed the fire, the brighter and longer it burns. No fuel = no fire.

If anyone in general wants to come in here and cause issues, or you have an issue with how someone is coming across and it upsets you. use the ignore button or otherwise don’t respond and just move on. They have no power over you except that which you give to them.

EDIT: And if need be, just take a breather from the thread/site and come back once things have moved on, as they inevitably do.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I think it varies on how much the character is wanted.

I agree in instances Sakurai would look at a character like Isaac or Krystal as more worth the promotion over spirits such as Tom Nook but you could also argue that some spirits like Bandana Waddle Dee would also have more priority over certain assist trophies just based on demand for the character alone.

I think if Sakurai acknowledges people want it to happen, he will get it done. But it also is based on if he would want to even promote in the first place.
That's very true and while I do acknowledge Dee's popularity I was more speaking in a general sense. Dee getting nothing more then a spirit is odd and he could certainly be upgraded. And there are some ATs we know will never be upgraded like Nintendogs. I just think people are really overlooking the area of AT promotion without just cause.
But yes 100% agree what will happen is what Sakurai wants.

Last edited:

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
Guys. Call me crazy, but I think it would be cool if Geno was a playable fighter in Smash Ultimate. How do you feel about this fellas?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I am glad to see discussion has largely continued but please do stop trying to bring it back to what just transpired here. Bringing particular users of the site into this thread in order to continue the argument/slandering will not be tolerated. Any actions that are against the TOS has been dealt with and any further actions to said user, posting reaction images, or any other unbecoming action and behavior will result in warnings. Regardless whatever camp you fall in.

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Guys. Call me crazy, but I think it would be cool if Geno was a playable fighter in Smash Ultimate. How do you feel about this fellas?
What? He's just an obscure character from a 20 year old Mario spin off! He'd never get enough fan demand to even get him a spirit or Mii costume, let alone a full fledged fighter.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hey Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , have any of your contects heard anything about a Smithy Mii costume? I'm curious because I can't get that out of my mind since PapaGenos' contect mentioned that along with the Mallow costume.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
4. Geno (stand alone character, worst Smash record of the four but stellar Nintendo record)
So, uh, interesting thought occurred to me. What if this source is right about Geno coming but just flubbed up the order and Geno's instead coming as 7 but assumed that he'd be the rumored bonus character instead?

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
What? He's just an obscure character from a 20 year old Mario spin off! He'd never get enough fan demand to even get him a spirit or Mii costume, let alone a full fledged fighter.
Oh. Yeah. But he has a gun for a hand and I feel he’d fit right in!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So which Mario RPG character would you guys want after Geno? I would like Vivian from PMTTYD. :)
Paper Mario and Fawful easily.

Bowletta Echo too. >.>

I'm trying to imagine how some of the partners could work. Also, Paper Mario could work well if you incorporate the Pixls too. That gives tons of unique animations/abilities. You could use bits and pieces from nearly every game to make a cool moveset. Making it flow, on the other hand...

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Oh. Yeah. But he has a gun for a hand and I feel he’d fit right in!
It's still never ever gonna happen no matter how much you try to force it. He's owned by Square anyway. Do you think Nintendo and Square could ever work together enough to get a character in Smash? What's next? Is Nintendo gonna do some black magic to somehow convince Microsoft to allow Banjo Kazooie to be in Smash?

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
It's still never ever gonna happen no matter how much you try to force it. He's owned by Square anyway. Do you think Nintendo and Square could ever work together enough to get a character in Smash? What's next? Is Nintendo gonna do some black magic to somehow convince Microsoft to allow Banjo Kazooie to be in Smash?
Geno? Banjo & Kazooie? Those characters are dead and irrelevant, not to mention 3rd party.

...at this rate, you might as well as for King K. Rool if you're looking for irrelevant characters that are never gonna get in. Heck, might as well ask for Ridley if you're gonna want characters that will never get in, Sakurai even said he will never get in!:ultpacman:

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Geno? Banjo & Kazooie? Those characters are dead and irrelevant, not to mention 3rd party.

...at this rate, you might as well as for King K. Rool if you're looking for irrelevant characters that are never gonna get in. Heck, might as well ask for Ridley if you're gonna want characters that will never get in, Sakurai even said he will never get in!
Finally! Some rationality here. Characters like Dixie Kong and Springman are basically inevitable because they're from really big Nintendo games and are just obvious fighters. I dunno why these guys brought up such an odd want like Geno.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

...at this rate, you might as well as for King K. Rool if you're looking for irrelevant characters that are never gonna get in. Heck, might as well ask for Ridley if you're gonna want characters that will never get in, Sakurai even said he will never get in!:ultpacman:
As pointed out, Banjo-Kazooie wasn't irrelevant. Series being dead, yeah. But they were heavily advertised for Rare Replay well before being asked to be in Smash. That's not a lack in relevancy. Being relevant means being consistently used as is by the company. Which they definitely were. Not just cause it's a collection, but because of the advertisement. They were throw in our face quite often. It was easy to know who they are. They didn't leave them out to dry and at all. A series can be dead but characters can be kept relevant, after all. I was surprised to see how often they got used overall. I mean, it's still life support at this point, but way better than tons of other series who have jack-all but Smash cameos and an amiibo at best.

Like, even F-Zero, despite Smash, had a lot less usage at that point.

Geno doesn't have the luxury of being constantly used by its own company, and K. Rool was used less than B&K at that point, really. One small Sports appearance, and that was it. We got a small cameo in Smash otherwise, and then a costume. These aren't being heavily used.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Ridley's TOO BIG to get into Smash as a playable character. :4pacman:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, uh, interesting thought occurred to me. What if this source is right about Geno coming but just flubbed up the order and Geno's instead coming as 7 but assumed that he'd be the rumored bonus character instead?
I've considered that. Like I keep saying, I think history is repeating itself. In Smash 4, we have strong evidence that Mewtwo was originally going to be the only DLC but then they changed their minds. My theory is that their next plan was to use useable assets and put in Lucas and Roy too based on their popularity and then end DLC there after adding the cut characters people wanted the most but were 1. plausible (ruled out Ice Climbers) 2. involved companies already involved in Smash 4 (Ape and Intelligent Systems) and 3. required the least amount of effort to work with (Lucas and Roy were semi clones of Ness and Marth). Nintendo then probably noticed the sheer demand for DLC and was like, "uh, **** that, we're doing 7 characters!"

My theory is that Herman the German was always planned for DLC, just like Mewtwo was. Nintendo's original plan was to add one last character that was wildly popular. This is our six. My theory is that Geno and Lloyd are our Lucas and Roy this time. Why? Let's recap: 1. both incredibly popular characters 2. both have useable assets from a previous game (Mii costumes) and 3. both from companies already involved with Ultimate (Square Enix and Namco).

Smash 4: Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy
Ultimate: Wilt Chamberlain, Geno, and Lloyd

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I've considered that. Like I keep saying, I think history is repeating itself. In Smash 4, we have strong evidence that Mewtwo was originally going to be the only DLC but then they changed their minds. My theory is that their next plan was to use useable assets and put in Lucas and Roy too based on their popularity and then end DLC there after adding the cut characters people wanted the most but were 1. plausible (ruled out Ice Climbers) 2. involved companies already involved in Smash 4 (Ape and Intelligent Systems) and 3. required the least amount of effort to work with (Lucas and Roy were semi clones of Ness and Marth). Nintendo then probably noticed the sheer demand for DLC and was like, "uh, **** that, we're doing 7 characters!"

My theory is that Herman the German was always planned for DLC, just like Mewtwo was. Nintendo's original plan was to add one last character that was wildly popular. This is our six. My theory is that Geno and Lloyd are our Lucas and Roy this time. Why? Let's recap: 1. both incredibly popular characters 2. both have useable assets from a previous game (Mii costumes) and 3. both from companies already involved with Ultimate (Square Enix and Namco).

Do you think Ultimate's last newcomer will be underwhelming like Corrin or Bayonetta or do you think it will be somebody that will blow off the roof like Sora or God forbid Goku. I have nothing against Goku, but he would open up Pandora's Box.

Last edited:

Franco Geno

Smash Lord

Oh man, if we end up getting that line up then we're gonna be dancing over our detractors like:
(credits to OffBi OffBi for editing the gif for me)
genoyeah.gif

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ridley's TOO BIG to get into Smash as a playable character. :4pacman:
To be fair? It's true.

He had to have an all new models that was able to be scaled down and flow correctly.

The current models were unusable for anything but giant size. It's not a coincidence he got an entirely new design loosely based upon Super Metroid in general.

So a lot of the arguments need to remember that the factor isn't always off. This is a fun meme, but it actually is a thing. It's why he wasn't in Smash 4 as playable. Him being big was also something that added to his characterization, but him being intimidating was way more important. I can note that there were some people who didn't like him playable even in Ultimate and preferred him as a boss. Nothing wrong with that, of course(and they didn't act ridiculous towards others when he was confirmed either. They just respectful said their piece and left).

That said, with King K. Rool, relevancy isn't a good point. For one thing, DKC is still relevant. Another is that Mario is still relevant. So the franchise Geno is in is relevant. The character has a pretty good chance of getting in for that regard. Besides, the "relevancy" thing was actually in context to 1st parties, which Geno isn't. They have their own respective merits. Coincidentally all 3rd parties so far had a franchise being kept relevant in some way(Banjo-Kazooie were the only one on actual life support. Microsoft not putting them in Rare Replay and heavily advertised it would've made a huge difference in that regard. They still would've gotten in, though. Cause it was a fan want, not a relevancy pick). Besides, we know relevancy can sometimes do stuff. Luminary being the the face is no coincidence. That's clearly a relevancy factor. And Corrin. And Roy. Greninja and Incineroar technically too(since they were picks from the latest games, but not because the Pokemon were relevant, but because the games were). Rosalina is another. I could go on. Yes, relevancy does matter. Butt not for all. It's just one of many potential factors.

The most important being obviously moveset.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041

I know this doesn’t really offer much speculation wise, but I absolutely love the different nicknames you give the purple fiend himself

T2by4

Smash Lord

>purpmcdrup was planned the whole time

But why go through the whole effort of making him an assist trophy then? That's what I don't get.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
>It's another "X character isn't a fighter in Smash so Sakurai hates them" argument
Wynn pls...

It's so hard to take that argument seriously when most of the characters introduced in Ultimate were added due to fan demand. Ridley got in due to fan demand, King K. Rool got in due to fan demand, Simon and Richter Belmont got in due to fan demand, Daisy, Chrom and Dark Samus got in due to fan demand, Hero got in due to fan demand, Banjo & Kazooie got in due to fan demand. I mean if I didn't know any better I'd think that fan demand has been a major factor in influencing who got into Ultimate.
I'm not saying that fan demand has no merit, of course those characters got in because people wanted, but great chance that Sakurai likes those characters as well.

A creator of a product always have their preferences, if they don't like a certain thing they're not going to try as hard to implement it in their product. Look at Rise of Skywalker, JJ hated a lot of things in TLJ so instead of following up on all the establish plot line they just change it all up. The people behind Ninja Theory didn't like what Dante was like in the old Devil May Cry games so they tried to change Dante up a lot despite the establish fans not wanting that. Look at all the video game movies. And as I stated, Sakurai wasn't going to include Pac-Man in Smash 4 if he was going to be based off of Ghostly Adventures.

If a creator hears fan demand and they end up liking the idea then most likely they're going to follow up on it. I'm sure Sakurai likes characters like Banjo, K Rool, and Ridley, they take eight months to make, I'd doubt you put that much effort into something you hate or had no interest in. It's also how Fatman could make a 15 page essay about Geno, he really likes Geno which is enough motivation for anyone to do something like that. I'd doubt he could even make a 4 page essay for a character that he doesn't like.

There's a lot of love that goes into the playable characters because the people who made the characters likes them a lot. I'd doubt we have the same kind of polish if Sakurai and his team are just making a bunch of characters that they don't like. You can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink.

For one last example: no matter how much request he gets Sakurai is never going to put Goku in Smash Bros because he doesn't want characters like that in Smash Bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom