• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Taking off for a bit. Got to handle some Christmas stuff and friends are in town to visit. Will be back to talk about the game awards happening then will be off till the next big Direct in the new year.

I'm sorry I can't keep you fully updated AdamBell731 everyone here will I'm sure.

You guys take it easy see you all again next week. We're almost there.

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
I wonder if we’re sleeping on the chance that FP5 could actually be an indie character?

-Piles of AAA third parties have seemingly been deconfirmed.

-It would be consistent with Reggie’s initial comments about characters from new franchises/that we wouldn’t expect.

-It’s plausible that a “list” developed by Nintendo would include some characters from indie developers they’ve worked closely with in recent years.

-It also seems plausible that Sakurai would like an indie character pick. As some have argued in the past, Smash isn’t just a celebration of Nintendo characters anymore...It has turned into a celebration of video games (with an emphasis on Nintendo). Putting in a character that stands on the work and legacy of independent developers would be very consistent with that vision for the game.

-Remember that, when it was initially planned, the Fighter’s Pass was going to be the only DLC we were getting for Smash. This is one of the reasons why “Thank You Theory” has a lot of legitimacy. Echoing my previous point a bit...Couldn’t an indie character also satisfy the Thank You Theory? Nintendo has enjoyed a very healthy relationship with independent developers, and they’re impact on video game culture has been very significant.

What do you guys think? If it does turn out to be indie, who do you think it might be? My personal pick is The Knight from Hollow Knight.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Nazyrus over in the Sora thread had an interesting theory that Fighter 5 will in fact be one of the more highly speculated characters

I have come to what I believe is a solid theory / prediction.
FP5 of the first DLC pass is gonna be a highly speculated character. The deconfirmations have ceased on both sabi and vergeben's ends due to the fear of their sources giving away who fighter 5 is. Sabi told me a while ago ( I think during the time we only had ryu and crash deconfirmed) that his not-Noa source told him to "stop guessing lol". Most likely due to the fear of narrowing down eventually who it IS. Verge and Sabi recently stopped getting/giving deconfirmations all of sudden…

You can't narrow down a non-speculated character since that's an endless list of games to deconfirm (all of gaming history basically, lol), and it makes no sense to believe that deconfirming the highly speculated characters would lead you to a non speculated one, it would take forever. It has to be a highly speculated name therefore, imo at least. So far, Capcom hasn't been deconfirmed fully (unlike Bamco) despite my many attempts of trying to get Verge to answer me, but he has always ignored my comments, so who knows lol. And Sora… also hasn't been deconfirmed either by anyone, and he has always been a highly speculated name alongside Banjo and others since the ballot… Those 2 are gonna be my final predictions at this point.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Is there a way to add "new" party members? i think someone made some Wario sprites on Deviantart with the style of SMRPG
I am not too sure what their overall plan is but for the time being they are focused on the 5 primary party members.

D

Deleted member

My point is that Sakurai most likely didn’t get a full 25-item menu, he got whatever five Nintendo gave him. However, here’s the thing: I don’t actually think he ever did say no, as I’ll explain thusly:

The theory I’ve been running on for quite a while now is that Nintendo did not necessarily select specific fighters. Instead, “their selection” was more along the lines of “Megaten rep, Dragon Quest rep, Microsoft rep, SNK rep, ??? rep”, and Sakurai then took it from there, considering all the options and weighing a bunch of factors to select the best candidate from each, so Sakurai managed to get some of his specific dream picks in while Nintendo still chose the over-arching representation.
Do you really think Nintendo said "ok Sakurai you have to pick a rep that belongs to Microsoft"? "Hey Sakurai, you know what company everyone knows? SNK."? Dragon Quest, again, is the safest bet in the list that Nintendo said "this is what we're doing" and Sakurai ran with it to the extreme, especially since we have shaky evidence that Dragon Quest might have been intended to be base game content. Everything else doesn't add up as a Nintendo pick.

A long time ago I said that the most likely scenario is that Nintendo had (and likely still has) a focus group for Smash DLC and I still believe that's the case. It makes more sense than an exhaustive list or Sakurai getting an email with a name in it and deciding if he likes it. A team of people probably did at least a year's worth of research on gaming trends and compiled either a list of franchises or genres, and maybe from that they created a list of characters, from which Sakurai chose. RPGs are kind of on the comeback, retro is in, fighting games, or more generally, esports are growing by the day. What other trends would a focus group (read: soulless cash grabbing suits) notice?

Nazyrus over in the Sora thread had an interesting theory that Fighter 5 will in fact be one of the more highly speculated characters
[X] Doubt

Not that it isn't possible, but given Fatman's commentary on insiders and my own personal feelings about them, "stop guessing lol" is a subtle "you'll absolutely never get this character and I wouldn't tell you even if you did". If Fighter 5 is any character commonly speculated, I'll be floored.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I wonder if we’re sleeping on the chance that FP5 could actually be an indie character?

-Piles of AAA third parties have seemingly been deconfirmed.

-It would be consistent with Reggie’s initial comments about characters from new franchises/that we wouldn’t expect.

-It’s plausible that a “list” developed by Nintendo would include some characters from indie developers they’ve worked closely with in recent years.

-It also seems plausible that Sakurai would like an indie character pick. As some have argued in the past, Smash isn’t just a celebration of Nintendo characters anymore...It has turned into a celebration of video games (with an emphasis on Nintendo). Putting in a character that stands on the work and legacy of independent developers would be very consistent with that vision for the game.

-Remember that, when it was initially planned, the Fighter’s Pass was going to be the only DLC we were getting for Smash. This is one of the reasons why “Thank You Theory” has a lot of legitimacy. Echoing my previous point a bit...Couldn’t an indie character also satisfy the Thank You Theory? Nintendo has enjoyed a very healthy relationship with independent developers, and they’re impact on video game culture has been very significant.

What do you guys think? If it does turn out to be indie, who do you think it might be? My personal pick is The Knight from Hollow Knight.
I doubt it, Sakurai has pretty much disconfirmed all of the biggest indie icons for now (Sans, Shantae, Shovel Knight). Hollow Knight is too young to have been seriously considered for Fighter's Pass.

I think Reimu may have a shot due to legacy, but definitely not for FP 5.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Does anyone have any sort of blessed SMRPG content that could help distill the thread? Please? I think the thread really needs it after last night.
Alright fine, you want a blessed post? You got it. Ladies and Gentlement, I present to you...
Baby Mallow
MallowBab.png

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'll try asking again. Does anyone have a link to whatever people use to make those fighter pass wishlist/predictions? I really want to make one.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Random thought earlier:

"Another reason Soul Calibur would make sense for 5: decent evidence that the Fighter's Pass was originally final and all the Smash 4 DLC costumes were originally planned to come back. This means Lloyd and Heihachi would have been out. What's next for Namco's big franchises if Pac-Man's in and Tekken and Tales are out?"

https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Bandai_Namco

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I'll try asking again. Does anyone have a link to whatever people use to make those fighter pass wishlist/predictions? I really want to make one.
Well it might not be what you are looking for but, I threw together a sloppy template It's not perfect.

Wishlist.png

Grumbo

Smash Ace
So, on the topic of character selection, I’ve been thinking a lot about the characters who were picked and if they can give us any hint to the identity of character 5. The prevailing theory on here, penned by Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , is what I’ll call the “Thank You Theory.” Every series selected was meant as a thank you by Sakurai. Persona 5 as thanks for inspiring him in the modern day, Dragon Quest for inspiring him for his entire career, Banjo-Kazooie for the fans who’ve stuck with the series since day 1, and King of Fighters for inspiring him to make Smash to begin with. Following this theory, the most logical final thank you is to Bandai Namco for helping make the Ultimate Smash. I don’t think this theory is wrong, it makes perfect sense, but for the sake of conversation I’d like to propose an alternative theory.

Let’s look back at that fateful quote from Reggie, saying that every character in the Fighters Pass would be characters you “wouldn’t expect.” Let’s take that and roll with it, and take a look back at who we got. We got a rep from a franchise that’s essentially a Sony exclusive, one character that’s basically four reps from the absolute most heavily guarded and impossible to work with franchise owned by one of the stingiest companies in the industry, a pair of characters that used to be Nintendo exclusives before they were bought by Microsoft and never appeared on a Nintendo console again, and an obscure fighting game character from a company that hasn’t been a major player in decades.

Nobody in the pass has been “obvious”, obvious picks would be Fire Emblem, Pokémon, or, if we’re being real, Capcom or Namco reps. So, in line with this “Unexpected Picks Theory”, who would be one more final surprise before Sakurai rides off into the sunset?

Well, how about one of Nintendo’s main competitor’s mascot whose games have been rumored to be coming to Switch for half a year?

Now I just wanna stress... I don’t actually think I’m right XD I’m still erring on the side of caution for the final reveal, but I ask you my fellow Genobros, if I’m right and the intention for all the characters in the pass is to shock and delight, who would be number 5?
2810D84C-F236-4BA6-B2E7-6E97F1D7ADBA.png
This is how Gamefaqs sees us lol

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Would you all be interested in me doing a Nightmare summary post? After several very heated arguments on the topic on the Papageno's Server over the past couple of days, I'm wanting to put all my arguments in one place because I'm tired of repeating them.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Would you all be interested in me doing a Nightmare summary post? After several very heated arguments on the topic on the Papageno's Server over the past couple of days, I'm wanting to put all my arguments in one place because I'm tired of repeating them.
As someone that's pretty darn excited for the possibility of a Soul Calibur rep and as a longtime Nightmare player, I'd certainly enjoy the read. Also, out of curiosity, what's your take on Yoshimitsu? He's no mascot, but he would be a dual representative of Soul Calibur and Tekken. Sakurai could also lean more heavily on his SC moveset in order to get around the limitation of translating Tekken's combo mechanics into Smash.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Well it might not be what you are looking for but, I threw together a sloppy template It's not perfect.

View attachment 249797
Wow, you put it together yourself! Thanks, I really appreciate it! Unfortunately I don't have the photoshop skills to do anything with it. It looked like one was going around that was kind of like the roster maker where it comes with character portraits. The one starlight posted. I've seen it all around.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Definitely! Do it! Do it! I love your speculation and theories!

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Your posts are always a great read, so go right ahead. Just be sure to post it in the Nightmare/Soul Calibur thread and link it here. That thread exists for a reason, and it'd be nice to give it some activity.

Firox

Smash Master
So apparently Vergeben is saying that fighter #5 WON'T be from Bandai Namco, Ubisoft or Level 5. For feck's sake people, how about we stop spouting everything fighter #5 ISN'T and just give us some kind of clue as to who it IS!

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Definitely! Do it! Do it! I love your speculation and theories!
Your posts are always a great read, so go right ahead. Just be sure to post it in the Nightmare/Soul Calibur thread and link it here. That thread exists for a reason, and it'd be nice to give it some activity.
You heard them, we'd love to read it! I'm always looking forwards to your lengthy posts myself.

Cruelcumber

Smash Cadet
So apparently Vergeben is saying that fighter #5 WON'T be from Bandai Namco, Ubisoft or Level 5. For feck's sake people, how about we stop spouting everything fighter #5 ISN'T and just give us some kind of clue as to who it IS!
The main reason why leakers have been going with the process of elimination route is because for legality's sake and to prevent people from getting fired, it's safer this why to say who it isn't rather than hint at who it is. Plus we'll be seeing Fighter #5 in a week from now at TGA.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
:yoshi::beezo:Yoshi’s island game

1575481784033.png

Except you’re carrying Baby Mallow to Nimbus Land. Every time you get hit he starts crying and the screen floods with rain and lightning that can knock you away.

And instead of red coins it’s frog coins and instead of Baby Bowser final Boss, it’s Dodo and Valentina.

And Mallow could use his stretch punch arms to grab objects for a swing mechanic for the Yoshi’s.

An alternative finish on one level leads to a secret level where you can unlock Boshi.

Finish the game with all 100%s on each level to unlock A playable Croco

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
:yoshi::beezo:Yoshi’s island game

View attachment 249803
Except you’re carrying Baby Mallow to Nimbus Land. Every time you get hit he starts crying and the screen floods with rain and lightning that can knock you away.

And instead of red coins it’s frog coins and instead of Baby Bowser final Boss, it’s Dodo and Valentina.

And Mallow could use his stretch punch arms to grab objects for a swing mechanic for the Yoshi’s.

An alternative finish on one level leads to a secret level where you can unlock Boshi.

Finish the game with all 100%s on each level to unlock A playable Croco
This is the best idea that's ever been had.

Latyon

Smash Cadet
I doubt it, Sakurai has pretty much disconfirmed all of the biggest indie icons for now (Sans, Shantae, Shovel Knight). Hollow Knight is too young to have been seriously considered for Fighter's Pass.

I think Reimu may have a shot due to legacy, but definitely not for FP 5.
Reimu might get a Spirit. She'll never be a fighter.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Hollow Knight is too young to have been seriously considered for Fighter's Pass.
Yeah, that's what I think a lot of people keep forgetting; Hollow Knight is too recent. Undertale had been out for four years and was a worldwide phenomenon. People have only started to push for Hollow Knight in Smash very recently, compared to Sans being asked for for years

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I don't know about that. I'm willing to bet they're someone no one's gonna see coming. In terms of Sora, too, I feel his chances are just as shot as the other 'disconfirmed' characters for FP5 (Doom Marine, Geno, Lloyd, Crash, etc). If insider word on disconfirmation for the Fighter's Pass means something, then this still applies to Sora, as he was blatantly disconfirmed via the Square Seven list (the only character apart from Geno who was said to 'definitely not be in' the Fighter's Pass). That means either disconfirmed characters by insiders actually still have a shot, or none of them do, which would include Sora. I'm more leaning towards the former, not because I expect them, but just because of healthy skepticism doses. I don't like taking insider word as gospel, but as something of note to consider.

It's kinda funny that people are so quick to be like, "HAHA (X) BTFO," for FP5, yet Sora's insider 'disconfirmation' seems to have been conveniently left out. It applies to all of them, which includes Sora, as well as our star boy.

Post-pass, though, I'd be surprised if we DIDN'T get Sora.

Last edited:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Okay, that's a bit much... She could be a fighter. Only rule out non-video game characters.
And also, Freddy is an indie icon, btw. Just saying. Same with Quote.
Also calling Fighter #5 as Phoenix Wright right now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Top three things you'll never be able to unsee:

Mario without his moustache
Toad without his mushroom cap
Geno without his beanie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom