• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
Vague as in he didn’t know what type of content it would be, so he kind of took it with a grain of salt
He was insistent on the existence of Minecraft content even after Banjo's release.

He did not "take it with a grain of salt" he trumpeted that from the mountaintops.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
He was insistent on the existence of Minecraft content even after Banjo's release.

He did not "take it with a grain of salt" he trumpeted that from the mountaintops.
Didn't he say it was most likely leak bait though?

Plank08

Smash Lord

True, but still, I feel like he’s still incredibly credible after leaking Ken, Isabelle, Ridley, Snake, and Ice climbers

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
I just remembered that Sakurai did say that "he only sees a future where more fan-requested characters will be added" in an interview where he talks about Banjo being popular in the West. Can't really find that specific quote though.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
https://youtu.be/rwfVOILhg_Y

This would be his final smash.

And he can wield flamethrowers, bazookas, machine guns, ect.
The music would also be absolutely phenomenal, too.

He would also be a combined virtual novel rep and villain rep all at once, destroy what remains of the “too mature of a character” stances that somehow still linger after Bayonetta and Joker, represent a new company arriving into the mix like the other Pass DLC has been so far(again, personally counting Atlus and Enix separate), and on top of all of that, Sakurai’s a pretty big fan of the games, even sending this letter to congratulate the creator on his newest studio:
5819F473-8DDA-431E-ADB4-99D1DFFE1C8C.jpeg

I honestly think he has a legitimate chance, and shouldn’t be counted out. Though, admittedly, he doesn’t exactly seem like much of a huge main-stage VGA reveal to me either, honestly.

I just remembered that Sakurai did say that "he only sees a future where more fan-requested characters will be added" in an interview where he talks about Banjo being popular in the West. Can't really find that specific quote though.
From what I remember, that’s a mistranslation, it was more along the lines of “he can only see a future where more and more requests are made”, I believe.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
The music would also be absolutely phenomenal, too.

He would also be a combined virtual novel rep and villain rep all at once, destroy what remains of the “too mature of a character” stances that somehow still linger after Bayonetta and Joker, represent a new company arriving into the mix like the other Pass DLC has been so far(again, personally counting Atlus and Enix separate), and on top of all of that, Sakurai’s a pretty big fan of the games, even sending this letter to congratulate the creator on his newest studio:View attachment 248481

I honestly think he has a legitimate chance, and shouldn’t be counted out. Though, admittedly, he doesn’t exactly seem like much of a huge main-stage VGA reveal to me either, honestly.

From what I remember, that’s a mistranslation, it was more along the lines of “he can only see a future where more and more requests are made”, I believe.
I can sort of see a trailer for him at the VGA honestly, in a similar vain to Joker. The screen can go all staticy and they can have Monokuma show up in a morning announcement type deal. I think Monokuma taking control of his own announcement would be pretty hype, and a great VGA moment.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Even if you think it's trivial, it really isn't. Sakurai stated Lloyd was a good pick for a Mii Costume and nothing more, don't try to read into it. On top of that, Tales was literally mentioned in two sentences in this entire interview, and other then this Sakurai has literally never talked about the series (that I could find). EVEN on top of that, when have Sakurai's interviews ever been indicative of anything getting into Smash 100%? (Ridley too big for Smash).

On top of this all my other arguments still stand beyond that:
-Sakurai stated the Lloyd stuff before Yuri had any games (outside Project X Zone) on a Nintendo Console.
-Outside of Smash, Yuri is still the most popular Tales character (usually the most popular 3rd party characters of a series get represented in Smash as a character), he earns Bamco a lot more money then Lloyd. Fujoshi's would literally buy out all the Yuri merchandise created from Smash.
-Tales of Vesperia: DE released on the Switch in 2019, making Yuri more relevant compared to any other Tales protagonist at this time.
-Nintendo is actually picking the DLC and not Sakurai, and Vesperia makes more sense to advertise from a money-making perspective compared to Symphonia for both Bandai-Namco and Nintendo (Unless Symphonia HD gets ported to all modern consoles again.)
-So far the only DLC character that got in due to fan-demand is Banjo.
-The book icon (assuming it's for Smash) is linked to Yuri not Lloyd. You don't see Joker come with Persona 4 TVs as his icon, and you see Cloud come with the FF7 icon.

So when people are only able to defend Lloyd 100% getting in over Yuri through two sentences Sakurai said 3.5 years ago, you could say I'm a bit skeptical about that.

Also lol at me trying to really grasp at straws to come up with an argument for Yuri getting in. I always say Lloyd/Yuri because I'm 50/50 on their chances and they both have good reason to get in. I just get annoyed at people who let their biases ruin speculation.

Try coming up with an argument for why Lloyd is DEFINITIVELY getting in over Yuri, and don't use the interview as anything definitive please. Because outside of the interview (2 sentences), all I can use to defend Lloyd's position is that a small group of Smash fans want Lloyd in more vocally then Yuri.
You act like Yuri not being on a Nintendo console was some smoking gun of why he wouldn't have been chosen over Lloyd and that it suddenly is resolved because of his appearance. Sakurai would have picked Yuri if he wanted to, but he didn't, and not just because he physically wasn't on a Nintendo console. Cloud is the first one to reference because he still picked Cloud despite completely unsubstantial appearances on Nintendo consoles, but Joker is even worse in that regard because he was chosen before Persona Q2 even released on 3DS. Persona only had one game at the time without him in it, so it's not like Sakurai isn't prone to just pick who he wants despite some minor misgivings about appearances. Especially for a Mii costume, he had the chance to go for Yuri and he didn't, he still went for Lloyd. And then he went out of his way to say Lloyd was the one he would pick to represent Tales.

Keep in mind, the same popularity that got Cloud in over other Final Fantasy characters works for Lloyd too because the Smash fan base is just more interested in him. He's a dark horse longterm request from the Brawl era. So not only does Lloyd have much more history with Nintendo specifically, but he's also the more popular option with the Smash fan base. Yes, Nintendo picked, but did they go out of their way to say "Yuri" or just "Tales?" Because if the decision is left to Sakurai, we know who he is going to pick. A Definitive Edition doesn't really change that either because it's not "the most relevant" when Beseria was the last major release for Tales in 2016 and Arise is the current one they are throwing their advertising behind. It's a nice celebration for Vesperia's success, but it's not as relevant to "the brand" as your presenting it and I really don't think Nintendo cares much about advertising a 10 year old port like that either as some big cross-promotional affair.

And also, Dragon Quest clearly got in due to degrees of fan demand and they specifically chose the specific alts around fan demand (to the best of their ability to do so), so that also goes to show how much they keep fan demand in mind when choosing more specific details about the character/franchise in question. Alucard/Simon is another similar situation. Alucard is the generally more popular and well known, but Sakurai still went for the more "Nintendo relevant" and beloved option from the Smash fans in that regard.

I'd maybe say 75/25 is the ratio I'm seeing here at best.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
meanwhile, luigi and daisy are happy,
Also Sakurai stated that Alucard was nearly the choice for Castlevania, but he felt that Simon was more iconic.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I see nothing has happened since I was away. And story time was a dual mix of Fatman and Naz? Very nice.

The biggest thing is the trademarks. Until we know 100% what those are for, this could very well be it. I saw some try to make the argument of "There are better icons to use then the book." Well...Cloud says hi while waving his big inflatable double F's.

I think it is time to wait until we either hear nothing from Sabi...or a loud gun going off in the distance.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
lloyd would be cool.
i like his playstyle in SSF2.
although SSF2 Rising Falcon is basically Power Dunk
and it first was in his moveset in 2017
huh.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I can sort of see a trailer for him at the VGA honestly, in a similar vain to Joker. The screen can go all staticy and they can have Monokuma show up in a morning announcement type deal. I think Monokuma taking control of his own announcement would be pretty hype, and a great VGA moment.
Now I’m imagining this whole bit where he attempts to pitch himself to the audience, doesn’t do a great job, and just plays gameplay footage of his character looking really fun to “win them over” instead.

“Puhuhuhu! You’ve been getting a bunch of characters, but have any of them been... a bear?”
(whispers offscreen)
“A few months ago? You’re telling me I missed it by that much? Okay, but have any of them been... a robot?”
(more whispers)
“Mega Man? Seriously? Okay, okay, have any of them been a cold, murderous, unfeeling robot?”
(even more whispers)
“...Who the hell is ROB?”

Droodle

Smash Lord
You act like Yuri not being on a Nintendo console was some smoking gun of why he wouldn't have been chosen over Lloyd and that it suddenly is resolved because of his appearance. Sakurai would have picked Yuri if he wanted to, but he didn't, and not just because he physically wasn't on a Nintendo console. Cloud is the first one to reference because he still picked Cloud despite completely unsubstantial appearances on Nintendo consoles, but Joker is even worse in that regard because he was chosen before Persona Q2 even released on 3DS. Persona only had one game at the time without him in it, so it's not like Sakurai isn't prone to just pick who he wants despite some minor misgivings about appearances. Especially for a Mii costume, he had the chance to go for Yuri and he didn't, he still went for Lloyd. And then he went out of his way to say Lloyd was the one he would pick to represent Tales.

Keep in mind, the same popularity that got Cloud in over other Final Fantasy characters works for Lloyd too because the Smash fan base is just more interested in him. He's a dark horse longterm request from the Brawl era. So not only does Lloyd have much more history with Nintendo specifically, but he's also the more popular option with the Smash fan base. Yes, Nintendo picked, but did they go out of their way to say "Yuri" or just "Tales?" Because if the decision is left to Sakurai, we know who he is going to pick. A Definitive Edition doesn't really change that either because it's not "the most relevant" when Beseria was the last major release for Tales in 2016 and Arise is the current one they are throwing their advertising behind. It's a nice celebration for Vesperia's success, but it's not as relevant to "the brand" as your presenting it and I really don't think Nintendo cares much about advertising a 10 year old port like that either as some big cross-promotional affair.

And also, Dragon Quest clearly got in due to degrees of fan demand and they specifically chose the specific alts around fan demand (to the best of their ability to do so), so that also goes to show how much they keep fan demand in mind when choosing more specific details about the character/franchise in question. Alucard/Simon is another similar situation. Alucard is the generally more popular and well known, but Sakurai still went for the more "Nintendo relevant" and beloved option from the Smash fans in that regard.

I'd maybe say 75/25 is the ratio I'm seeing here at best.
-I mean Hideaki Itsuno literally mentioned Dante isn't capable of happening at this point because he was never in any Nintendo console. Even though that was a lie, and Dante/Yuri appear in the same 3DS game Project X Zone. So that implies that for certain characters to get in, they need some amount of presence on a Nintendo console.

-Cloud is in a completely different league of popularity compared to Lloyd/Yuri/Dante. He is THE JRPG protagonist, more so then any other JRPG character (including other Final Fantasy characters). He is a worldwide icon, Lloyd, Yuri, Dante aren't. Since he is one of the faces of gaming, I can see Sakurai being less strict on Cloud compared to other 3rd parties; where he'll prioritize a mixture of recognizability and Nintendo presence.

Another hypothetical example would be if Sony comes to Nintendo/Sakurai and asks for Kratos to be put in Smash; asking for nothing in return. Sakurai/Nintendo would probably do it solely due to the amount of money a Sony rep would earn, even if they don't have any history with Kratos. This is just due to how iconic Kratos is, the benefits/money earned from putting him in would be much greater then the costs. Again, this is just purely conjecture to prove my point.

-I've been through the last point you make in your first paragraph many times, and I'm not going over it again.

-Unless you can show me some polls on Dragon Quest being a ridiculously fan demanded, I don't believe it. Do I believe Dragon Quest is huge and popular in Japan? Yes! But outside of that I never really saw anyone heavily asking for it to be in Smash, even in Japan; until Vergeben leaked it. And obviously they choose the most popular protagonists to be the skin (other then Protagonist 5).

-The Alucard/Simon/Richter ordeal isn't the same as Lloyd/Yuri. The main protagonists of the Castlevania franchise are still the Belmonts, with Alucard only being a recurring character most of the time (and a main character in a few games). And most of the dedicated Castlevania fanbase wanted the Belmonts over Alucard either way, not just Smash fans. Both Lloyd and Yuri are the protagonists of their own game, and neither's role is more important than the other in the larger Tales franchise.

-Vesperia DE is definitely more relevant then Berseria right now, and Bandai Namco probably spent a fair bit advertising the game considering they showed it off at the Xbox conference in 2018. Obviously, Arise is the next big thing; but we that's in the future not right now. I don't even know what you're arguing with this.

Think about it this way, next year XBC:DE releases on the Switch. When that game releases, would you argue Xenoblade 2 is more "relevant" then XC:DE, simply because XC:DE is just XC1? No you wouldn't and I guarantee that more people would be talking about XC:DE then Xenoblade 2 at that point in time. I guarantee you more people are talking about Vesperia compared to Berseria too.

On top of this, Vesperia DE is also the Tales game available on the Switch. The only other Tales game available on a modern Nintendo system is Abyss for the 3DS.

-Persona Q2 was already released in Japan by the time Joker was revealed for Smash.

Again, nothing definitive points towards specifically Lloyd over Yuri; unless you take Sakurai's words from the interview to heart.

I'm probably going to stop talking about Lloyd and Yuri (until either one is confirmed) because it's pretty clear that nothing you say is really making my thoughts budge, to me they're still both 50/50.

It's pretty clear that nothing I say is going to change your minds either.

That said, if Yuri does get in over Lloyd you bet I'm going to hold it over both the Geno thread and General threads head every single day.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
No matter who gets in, at the end of day...

I can not wait to get the full panoramic poster completed. I already think it looks glorious, but the fact that even more characters are going to be added to it makes me giddy. It is going to look amazing on my wall (I have the perfect spot for it above my bed where literally nothing is hung up).

That poster ought to be appreciated more! I know it probably gives some people Grinch PTSD, but the artist Nintendo got does a really great job! I love the almost watercolor, painterly design! Really great idea to have all of the characters interacting with one another on a huge image.

Last edited:

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
Really all this arguing about Llyod being generic is dumb. We can argue all day about genericness but when the idea "he runs up and hits with a sword" is the argument then that's true because everything boiled down to it's most basic element is generic. That's why everyone who doesn't use a sword just "runs up and hits with a fist or leg" or "stays put and shoots random crap". Everyone is generic according to Smash logic. No one is unique everyone is Marth. That's why it no longer Smash Brothers, but rather Marth Extended Family.
Alright so seeing your profile pic made me think of the perfect moveset for haseo.
He runs up and hits people with a (broad)sword and then stays put and shoots random crap with his dual guns. He's basically edge Marth.

In all seriousness though, yeah, I agree. Being generic should be a nonissue at this point anyways when you have Wii fit trainer and nameless piranha plant as fighters.

D

Deleted member

No matter who gets in, at the end of day...

I can not wait to get the full panoramic poster completed. I already think it looks glorious, but the fact that even more characters are going to be added to it makes me giddy. It is going to look amazing on my wall (I have the perfect spot for it above my bed where literally nothing is hung up).

That poster ought to be appreciated more! I know it probably gives some people Grinch PTSD, but the artist Nintendo got does a really great job! I love the almost watercolor, painterly design! Really great idea to have all of the characters interacting with one another on a huge image.
That banner is the best part of character reveals, IMO. It's like piecing together a jigsaw puzzle. Each reveal adds a new piece to add to the puzzle.

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
So, what does this "Monokuma" do exactly?
Now then, let's begin with a simple explanation of Monokuma. He holds class trials. During the class trial, you present your arguments for who the killer is, and vote for whodunnit. If you vote correctly, then only the blackened will receive punishment. But if you pick the wrong person... he'll punish everyone *besides* the blackened, and that person earns the right to leave the school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom