• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Ok, who do you Geno fans think is the most likely DLC char?
for me, it's Ryu Hayubusa. Only character that I think is guaranteed for Ultimate.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
for me, it's Ryu Hayubusa. Only character that I think is guaranteed for Ultimate.
I refuse to think any character is a lock. After what happened to Shadow, nope. Never calling locks again.

That being said, Ryu Hayabusa is the most likely in my mind, as well.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I don't think any character is a lock, mainly because of Bandana Dee. All the arrows pointed towards him and then...nothing. I feel our most likely candidates are Crash Bandicoot, Doom Slayer, Geno, Rayman, and maybe a handful of others but based off the previous 5 DLC fighters, who the Chunk knows at this point?

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I’ve been browsing the forums for awhile but finally made an account. Could I get added to the list of supporters? Thanks.

Plank08

Smash Lord
I think his PM move set is by far his best interpretation yet, I'm really not a fan of BrawlFan's move set... It feels like he's wasting so much potential by just having every attack be a projectile. Once he's actually in I really hope Sakurai does some moves where Geno rag dolls (like PM down tilt) I think that idea is super sick
I agree with that, I would change out his forward air for him ripping out one arm and using it as a weapon, and making his forward smash act more like a shotgun, but what’s not to love about Brawlfan1s presentation overall?

Doomslayers a lock and thank god cause I really want him in.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Ryu is the front runner for me big time, after that I'd say some amalgamation Lloyd, crash, and costumeless-geno. I think sora or steve is on the table but I don't personally have much faith. After the pass is a whole different beast and until we see #1 I'm not willing to bet on anyone as more likely than any other

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Hey guys, I’ve been browsing the forums for awhile but finally made an account. Could I get added to the list of supporters? Thanks.
PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate You heard the man, get 'im on there!

(Also, 'EYYY, FELLOW B-K FAN! I bet you were screaming right along with the rest of us when they got in!)

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I refuse to think any character is a lock. After what happened to Shadow, nope. Never calling locks again.

That being said, Ryu Hayabusa is the most likely in my mind, as well.
I generally try to discourage viewing speculation in terms of “locks” for basically that reason. Something can have all the ‘signs’ pointing to it, but that doesn’t always translate into reality. And clinging to a reality that hasn’t been confirmed yet can be... well, y’know what they say about assuming. :p

Speaking of who I think is most likely, if the timeframe for future DLC lines up, I’d say an Astral Chain rep.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I’ll admit I cried a bit. Been waiting for that since I was little : )
I cried like a baby. I never thought they'd see the light of day ever again, so for them to get in Smash was a dream come true. I grew up with B-K ever since DKR's release itself, before their first game even came out. I got B-K as soon as it released, too, same with B-T. As much as I love Geno and have so much passion for him and the Mario RPGs as a whole, B-K were the center of my childhood. Geno would make me scream with excitement, but only the beloved bear and bird could make me cry like that.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I cried like a baby. I never thought they'd see the light of day ever again, so for them to get in Smash was a dream come true. I grew up with B-K ever since DKR's release itself, before their first game even came out. I got B-K as soon as it released, too, same with B-T. As much as I love Geno and have so much passion for him and the Mario RPGs as a whole, B-K were the center of my childhood. Geno would make me scream with excitement, but only the beloved bear and bird could make me cry like that.
Mine would be Rayman. I love Geno to death and really want him in Smash but Rayman was my childhood and I think I'd actually cry if they stuck him in.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Being 100% honest I cried a ton too. Tooie is my earliest memory of playing a game, and the original two have always been some of my favorite games. Fingers crossed we get a new game soon, the influx of merch is a bit suspicious.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
man the closest thing I would have to a childhood defining character would probably be Grovile and sadly that's never going to happen because he's a middle evo. Having gone back to read as much of the responses for characters like ridley or banjo was truly a magical experience. I can only hope sakurai is planning to stack the next round with as many bombshells as possible before finally throwing in the towel. I know he's been saying every smash is is last but this one really feels like it might be it for him. Iwata was always the guy to get him on board each time he jumped off and now that he's gone I think he might be looking to move on like with Kirby. He might still be on for 6 as an adviser of sorts but I really think he'll be looking to pass the torch to someone new.

btw Grumbo Grumbo you should share that theory you put on the Isaac board. I thought it was a really cool find but didn't want to steal your work.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well, my apologies, it was never my intention to enact historical revisionism. I didnt make up the idea of "Impossible Trio" just merely have what is perhaps a foggy recollection. I understand and agree it is a misnomer and "highly unlikely" is far more befitting. I believe the term "impossible" certainly would not fit any character, barring Banjo.

And I shouldnt have used the term "lurk" because i wasnt lurking smash boards since Brawl, more I just meant kept up with general speculation. Again my apologies, I'm pretty tired today.

I've known people who never lost hope for Banjo the entire time. And Geno Ridley and K. Rool were all seen as having roadblocks as I'm sure no one needs reminding.

I never meant to "revise history" or devalue anyone's desire for a long requested character. This was my mistake. I heard the name once upon a time and it stuck with me all these years. Didnt expect anyone to come guns blazing (though I admit I have a hard time reading tone in and out of text lol.

I want Geno more than anything. And once Geno comes I'll push even further for Issac. I dont have a particular attachment to Golden Sun, but I want to see these long time wishes granted.

I merely wasnt aware of the specifics of the board. So I do sincerely thank you for the history lesson and apologize if I came off in anyway which bothered anyone. This is me peacing out.
Don't worry about it, it's not a claim you're alone in making - it's just not one with much actual grounding. It's strange, as if the record books were all created last year, even though there are people from before then that can testify to it being not as presented. And I know they'll change again by Smash 6.

My examples may have specified Smashboards to illustrate the point, but the general trends remain pretty much the same. It's not like characters such as Mega Man and Wario and Inkling weren't also popular elsewhere, or Banjo experienced a great deal of discussion on some other site during his dark age.

The truth of the matter is those five characters are just some of several who have had some bout of extended popularity at some time. The main thing which ties together those five specifically is the attention they've received in the past year/year and a half.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
man the closest thing I would have to a childhood defining character would probably be Grovile and sadly that's never going to happen because he's a middle evo. Having gone back to read as much of the responses for characters like ridley or banjo was truly a magical experience. I can only hope sakurai is planning to stack the next round with as many bombshells as possible before finally throwing in the towel. I know he's been saying every smash is is last but this one really feels like it might be it for him. Iwata was always the guy to get him on board each time he jumped off and now that he's gone I think he might be looking to move on like with Kirby. He might still be on for 6 as an adviser of sorts but I really think he'll be looking to pass the torch to someone new.

btw Grumbo Grumbo you should share that theory you put on the Isaac board. I thought it was a really cool find but didn't want to steal your work.
Thanks. There were a lot of holes in the theory as pointed out by other users, so once I get it ironed out and address which issues i can I’ll post it here.

Edit: Also if there’s a bomberman board I’m gonna consult with them and see if there’s a reference I’m missing.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate You heard the man, get 'im on there!

(Also, 'EYYY, FELLOW B-K FAN! I bet you were screaming right along with the rest of us when they got in!)
Come to say... I don't think I'm on the supporters list. I lurked on a great deal of Ultimate's speculation cycle. If you've got the OP open go ahead and add me. I did gift you your purple sweg this month, afterall. :psycho:

I gotta say, since I've returned to the mania of Smash speculation forums, I've found this to be my favorite thread. Better even than the Newcomer Speculation Thread for conversation.

D

Deleted member

For me it's Leon S. Kennedy I don't have any reason for thinking it I know Capcom's relationship with Nintendo is good so I could see it. But I'll probably end up being wrong Honestly guess we'll find out soon enough.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I almost never believe in characters being "locks" or guaranteed for Smash. The only character I really did feel that way with was Inkling for Switch's installment of Smash, and they got revealed before we even knew we were getting a new Smash game on Switch lol.

I don't recall thinking a character was ever a guarantee outside of that.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
EyeGuy.png

While I'm making sprites, I decided to make a self portrait. Ain't I beautiful?

Self Portrait.png

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'll probably be able to update the supporter list after work tomorrow. I have to do an opening shift so I have to go to bed now

ZelDan

Smash Master
Oh geez, I almost forgot to mention.

I went out earlier tonight to get a coffee and scratch tickets, and I just so happened to notice a white car with a front license plant that said "GENO" on it.

This was clearly some sort of sign from some higher power that Geno is 100%, without a doubt, going to be playable in Smash Bros Ultimate.

get hyped Genobros!

Plank08

Smash Lord
If Sackboy somehow got in smash then I would just.. probably do all the things you guys said times 2.. along with some “I called it!” And “AHHHHHHHHHH” here and there.
(Side note, cant believe people still complain when this is the game where:
Banjo got in
K Rool got in
Ridley got in
Stage builder is better than ever
A story mode
We can turn off stage hazards
EVERYONE IS HERE
And we got 100 stages, and hundreds of music tracks!
And I could list even more! God this game doesn’t feel real)

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
View attachment 241387

While I'm making sprites, I decided to make a self portrait. Ain't I beautiful?

View attachment 241394
I blinked and thought I saw Megasmilax.
If Sackboy somehow got in smash then I would just.. probably do all the things you guys said times 2.. along with some “I called it!” And “AHHHHHHHHHH” here and there.
(Side note, cant believe people still complain when this is the game where:
Banjo got in
K Rool got in
Ridley got in
Stage builder is better than ever
A story mode
We can turn off stage hazards
EVERYONE IS HERE
And we got 100 stages, and hundreds of music tracks!
And I could list even more! God this game doesn’t feel real)
Hm.. not enough Geno.

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
A famous FPS rep in green armor.

Or, in other words, “Doomguy is quite likely, but I legitimately still think Master Chief has a chance, even after Banjo.”

Bethesda has been a bit too upfront about “We’ve talked about Smash and have special Nintendo stuff planned for later in the year”, in my opinion. The more they say something’s coming, the more that I start to doubt that a character actually is, especially with Nintendo’s strict Smash secrecy.

On the other hand, we had a bunch of sources earlier in the year say that we were getting Ori 1 and Halo: MCC on Switch, and as of a month or two ago one of those has happened... yet there’s been no word of the MCC. I could totally see them having that be a massive Game Awards announcement of some sort, and if it ends up tying into Smash, all the better.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Papagenos made a new video and there is a part about Geno.

The dude says his friend got things right in the past, blah blah blah same old nonsense.
He says Ryu Hayabusa is the final fighters pass character and Geno will be in wave 2.

Here's the link to Papagenos' video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvsfSR8T6MI

Here's the picture below.
Geno leak apparently.png

D

Deleted member

The dude says his friend got things right in the past, blah blah blah same old nonsense.
He says Ryu Hayabusa is the final fighters pass character and Geno will be in wave 2.

Here's the link to Papagenos' video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvsfSR8T6MI

"Pyra"nha Plant makes me think Xenoblade's Pyra's head photoshopped onto a Piranha Plant

D

Deleted member

You'd be surprised how many people complain about Wonder Wing at the semi-pro level. It's specifically difficult to punish for characters with short grab range.
But let's be real, should a frame 18 invincible kill move only be able to be soft punished with a grab? That's my beef with it.

I can't see Geno bringing forth any gimmicks that would upset the Meta. This game's balance team is ****ing phenomenal. I would say 85% of the cast is viable at the semi-competetive level and Geno will most likely touch down in A or B tier as every other DLC character has.
Honestly since I don't think there's a person in the world who doesn't believe he's bringing timed hits in some form to Smash, I could honestly see his gimmick doing nothing but turning people away from him. The way things are going he'll be a complicated new character in a metagame approximately one and a half years old and be entirely slept on. A big name would have to pick him up and do extremely well (or a nobody will have to do even better) to make anyone care. That's fine by me, I love playing "mid tiers".

My only hope is that he isn't a zoner. I can't really pick up a character and dedicate the time to getting good with them without a passion for them, and every character I love happens to be a zoner. I have no secondary to cover my bad matchups because they all fundamentally do the same thing and my playstyle doesn't vary too much with them. I want Geno to go in like the US Marshals or die trying, and if that kind of aggressive, high impact play doesn't secure the victory, then I'll have my zoning to fall back on.

D

Deleted member

On that leak it is worth noting that a small amount of insiders knew about Plant but then again, it’s possible he was piggybacking. Don’t exactly know who it might be because I don’t think Ryce and Vergeben said anything but they claimed that they knew. There was a 4Chan leak everybody overshadowed.

There was Noatesty, a play tester who made a reddit post back in maybe early October mentioning the Plant while the insider was told in October 31st.

But I don’t think someone would know wave 2 fighters that early so probably fake.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Yeah, seems a bit fishy. Not sure how they would know that there are 0 first parties yet can only name two characters. Plus there’s been a handful of “credible” discord leaks that never came true since E3 (The Frisk-Waluigi comes to mind)

Ovaltine

Smash Master

Honestly makes me wonder what 'proof' he has. Knowing two characters at least makes more sense, given Joker, Hero, and Banjo were worked on at the same time. It'd make the next batch being Terry, Ryu, and Geno hold some water. That said, this reeks of piggy-backing. The only one that's been batted around by insiders is Ryu Hayabusa, so he's been in the eyes of the people, and Geno's been widely talked about in current Smash climate. Calling obvious fake until further notice.

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Honestly makes me wonder what 'proof' he has. Knowing two characters at least makes more sense, given Joker, Hero, and Banjo were worked on at the same time. It'd make the next batch being Terry, Ryu, and Geno make some sense. That said, this reeks of piggy-backing. The only one that's been batted around by insiders is Ryu Hayabusa, so he's been in the eyes of the people, and Geno's been widely talked about in current Smash climate. Calling obvious fake until further notice.
Ditto. Sounds like the leaker is just making up what his friend did.

D

Deleted member

On that leak it is worth noting that a small amount of insiders knew about Plant but then again, it’s possible he was piggybacking. Don’t exactly know who it might be because I don’t think Ryce and Vergeben said anything but they claimed that they knew. There was a 4Chan leak everybody overshadowed.
The 4chan post is what makes "he knew about Piranha Plant!!1!" carry less water. Everybody that had hope that the fighters' pass would please fans was hoping for Banjo and he was included in fan lists all the time, so honestly I don't even trust when someone says "well my source knew about Banjo".

I think this leak lives or dies by when the source knew Terry was coming to the game, specifically if there's any evidence they were firm on that decision before the Terry/Hayabusa post on /v/ and obviously before the SNK info Nintendo leaked. Honestly at this point we could have the same guy on our hands - Papagenos' leaker and the Terry/Hayabusa /v/poster, just trying to keep face after getting the trailer wrong but getting Terry right by luck.

Firox

Smash Master

I've said it before and I'll say it again, unless we get actual gameplay footage or a direct comment by Sakurai, I'm not buying it. Someone's word doesn't mean spit unless there's SOME kind of evidence. At least the Grinch "leaker" put in some effort with their hoax. I would think that the Geno fanbase as a whole has been through this dog and pony show enough times to know that when person "Fill-in-the-blank" has correctly predicted the Second Coming, it doesn't mean they aren't making it up or fabricating their own credentials. By all means, people, keep "leaking" Geno's inclusion. We can always use the free publicity, but remember that there is always a 99% chance that it's just some loser trying to ***** their way into five minutes of fame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom