• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
My favorite Paper Mario game. I still can't choose which was the better RPG, TTYD or LOTSS because I love them both.
That's a hard one. I don't count the last two Paper Mario games, so they won't be on here. My favorite Paper Mario game depends on which mood I'm in, but I think it might be TTYD or SPM. I usually note their best attributes:
Paper Mario (N64) - Best originality.
Paper Mario TTYD - Best gameplay.
Super Paper Mario - Best story and characters.

Even when Super Paper Mario came out, I honestly don't understand how people hated it THAT much. I mean, it's a little understandable because they changed the battle system, but people are ignoring the fact that Super Paper Mario carried the best story, characters, and arguably the best soundtrack in all five Paper Mario games; it's what made me love it instead of hating it. What mastermind thought of these characters? Count Bleck, Dimentio, Mr. L, and the rest of the villains have been some of the best Mario villains I've ever seen developed into the Marioverse. Also, who was the genius that made the Luigi, Peach, and Bowser playable characters? They and Mario are the main characters of the game, and that was a brilliant idea. The game came out in 2007, one of my favorite years of my life, and I really wish I could go back to that year. Then there's Paper Mario TTYD, my first in the series and also came out in one of my favorite years, 2004. I love TTYD, it had such a great story and awesome characters, along with having the best battles and bosses. This is why it's hard for me to choose between TTYD and Super Paper Mario, they both nailed themselves extremely well. I got Paper Mario 64 after SPM, and was not disappointed at all! I thought it was very cute and creative. :)
My favorite PM games are in order of release... though that could change if I try Color Splash and the M&L crossover.

I just love the badges in the first game more. I also like how it has a major limitation on levels, making it more interesting challenge-wise. It's a bit too easy to get OP in TTYD. Regardless, I've enjoyed the 4 I've played overall. SS's main issue for me is that the poison area just feels a bit too harsh at times.
Paper Jam is actually a Mario & Luigi RPG game, but I loved it more than Dream Team. It's the only M&L RPG game that actually came out at the beginning of the year for the United States, that being January 2016. Receiving a M&L RPG game at the beginning of the year felt nice.

I'm happy Paper Mario 64 gets the love it deserves, despite being the first Paper Mario game; it was the Paper Mario game that started it all! I think it's actually the most underrated of all five because it's the first and doesn't seem to get noticed as much compared to The Thousand Year Door and Super Paper Mario, and that's fine, but luckily it gets a lot of love and noticed when Stryder7x shows it in his content.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Legend of the Seven Stars will always be my favorite due to the standards it set and how it dared to be different, but Super Paper Mario and Superstar Saga aren’t far behind.

Dan

Smash Lord
Was playing maeio kart earlier today and thought that it would be cool if they announced him as a dlc for mario kart or a new mario kart game with him in the base roster. They brought back the koopa kids after so many years, I feel like Geno would be really cool addition. It really is a shame he doesn't get much representation other than small ones in Smash despite his fan demand for him to come back into the mario games.
I've always said this, but it's such a ****in' sin he wasn't brought back for Mario/Rabbids.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I've always said this, but it's such a ****in' sin he wasn't brought back for Mario/Rabbids.
To be fair, that's another 3rd party company to work with. Ubisoft also created the game, so them funding SE doesn't sound like something they'd want to do. Nintendo didn't create the game, after all.

He's fit in great with the game, though. But I can see why he didn't happen at all. A game funded by Nintendo would be more likely to re-add Geno, as they have to convince SE to say yes. They had a hard time getting SMRPG on the VC, and considering how little SE content is in Ultimate, it's safe to say they aren't that easy to work with regardless.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
How the demographic of active members on this thread has shifted, wow.

At least it's active. The spirit of us Geno supporters will never fade!

link2702

Smash Champion
That's a hard one. I don't count the last two Paper Mario games, so they won't be on here. My favorite Paper Mario game depends on which mood I'm in, but I think it might be TTYD or SPM. I usually note their best attributes:
Paper Mario (N64) - Best originality.
Paper Mario TTYD - Best gameplay.
Super Paper Mario - Best story and characters.

Even when Super Paper Mario came out, I honestly don't understand how people hated it THAT much. I mean, it's a little understandable because they changed the battle system, but people are ignoring the fact that Super Paper Mario carried the best story, characters, and arguably the best soundtrack in all five Paper Mario games; it's what made me love it instead of hating it. What mastermind thought of these characters? Count Bleck, Dimentio, Mr. L, and the rest of the villains have been some of the best Mario villains I've ever seen developed into the Marioverse. Also, who was the genius that made the Luigi, Peach, and Bowser playable characters? They and Mario are the main characters of the game, and that was a brilliant idea. The game came out in 2007, one of my favorite years of my life, and I really wish I could go back to that year. Then there's Paper Mario TTYD, my first in the series and also came out in one of my favorite years, 2004. I love TTYD, it had such a great story and awesome characters, along with having the best battles and bosses. This is why it's hard for me to choose between TTYD and Super Paper Mario, they both nailed themselves extremely well. I got Paper Mario 64 after SPM, and was not disappointed at all! I thought it was very cute and creative. :)

Paper Jam is actually a Mario & Luigi RPG game, but I loved it more than Dream Team. It's the only M&L RPG game that actually came out at the beginning of the year for the United States, that being January 2016. Receiving a M&L RPG game at the beginning of the year felt nice.

I'm happy Paper Mario 64 gets the love it deserves, despite being the first Paper Mario game; it was the Paper Mario game that started it all! I think it's actually the most underrated of all five because it's the first and doesn't seem to get noticed as much compared to The Thousand Year Door and Super Paper Mario, and that's fine, but luckily it gets a lot of love and noticed when Stryder7x shows it in his content.
I actually like the first paper mario more than the second in some areas.

I liked that it’s humor was a bit more tame than ttyd, and that it had a certain children’s storybook charm to it. Overall I just liked how...I guess you could say...innocent? The first game’s story felt? Also the games pace felt better balanced imo.

Ttyd on the other hand just completely went the other way in feel more close to the m&l games. Which, wasn’t a bad thing, as there were definitely many moments that had me laughing in ttyd(the computer seeing peach naked in the shower for example), but the beginning feels really sluggish to me in ttyd

Of course gameplay wise it feels hard for me to consider the first pm better. Out of all the areas this is where ttyd delivers the best. Me struggling with timed hits aside, battles feel way more engaging, and the whole audience factor and trying to please them with style moves keeps battles fun, and partners having actual hp, as well as being able to change who’s in front, mario or them, adds a better layer of strategy that the first game lacked.

I never played spm, i did however watch a near full let’s play of it on YouTube, and while I don’t see myself ever playing it, i do feel it has one of the best(and darkest) stories of the series. Some of the boss battles are downright creepy...

Sticker star was garbage and i WISH I hadn’t bought that one and could erase its gameplay from my memory. It was also what convinced me pm was dead, and to never buy another pm game(or any game from Nintendo) without extensive research and videos of people playing the game after release and their opinions on it. It’s why I didn’t buy color splash, botw’s dlc, the smash fighters pass, and many other games.

...sticker star was a traumatic experience for me...

Dan

Smash Lord
Unpopular opinion, but to me, Mario + Rabbids feels like more of a spiritual successor to Mario RPG than any Paper Mario game: the overhead grid-style gameplay, the completely original cast save the bare Mario core, the Simpsons-esque humor... even the aesthetic of the giant leaves screams SMRPG to me.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
They had a hard time getting SMRPG on the VC, and considering how little SE content is in Ultimate, it's safe to say they aren't that easy to work with regardless.
Really? They went on record to say that? Source? Makes me wonder if it was hard to get SE to agree on SMRPG on the SNES Classic then.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Really? They went on record to say that? Source? Makes me wonder if it was hard to get SE to agree on SMRPG on the SNES Classic then.
It took a very very long time to get on there, basically. I remember it taking months on end. I forgot where I read it. I know there was similar issues(that is, taking a while) to get Earthbound on the VC too.

Dan

Smash Lord

I liked that it’s humor was a bit more tame than ttyd, and that it had a certain children’s storybook charm to it. Overall I just liked how...I guess you could say...innocent? The first game’s story felt? Also the games pace felt better balanced imo.

Ttyd on the other hand just completely went the other way in feel more close to the m&l games. Which, wasn’t a bad thing, as there were definitely many moments that had me laughing in ttyd(the computer seeing peach naked in the shower for example), but the beginning feels really sluggish to me in ttyd

Of course gameplay wise it feels hard for me to consider the first pm better. Out of all the areas this is where ttyd delivers the best. Me struggling with timed hits aside, battles feel way more engaging, and the whole audience factor and trying to please them with style moves keeps battles fun, and partners having actual hp, as well as being able to change who’s in front, mario or them, adds a better layer of strategy that the first game lacked.

I never played spm, i did however watch a near full let’s play of it on YouTube, and while I don’t see myself ever playing it, i do feel it has one of the best(and darkest) stories of the series. Some of the boss battles are downright creepy...

Sticker star was garbage and i WISH I hadn’t bought that one and could erase its gameplay from my memory. It was also what convinced me pm was dead, and to never buy another pm game(or any game from Nintendo) without extensive research and videos of people playing the game after release and their opinions on it. It’s why I didn’t buy color splash, botw’s dlc, the smash fighters pass, and many other games.

TTYD is good, but it's almost too good; too perfect. PM64 definitely has more charm and innocence to it, and was more memorable to me at least; I've hardly touched TTYD since I played it as a kid, but have picked up PM64 on multiple occasions. Unbelievably atmospheric soundtrack:

That paired with nostalgia is deadly... I actually consider PM64 as one of the last things I feel nostalgia over... it's just retro enough.

How the demographic of active members on this thread has shifted, wow.

At least it's active. The spirit of us Geno supporters will never fade!
Lol, I've popped in and out of this thread (consider myself a Geno support since '08 -- or really since the first Smash game, cause why not?), and just came back here to see if people were still visiting this thread daily... men of endurance over here!

Ovaltine

Smash Master
It took a very very long time to get on there, basically. I remember it taking months on end. I forgot where I read it. I know there was similar issues(that is, taking a while) to get Earthbound on the VC too.
If Earthbound had similar issues, it makes me wonder if it even was copyright then. Maybe there were emulation issues? Then again, Earthbound has some weird copyright stuff with the yo-yo, so maybe it's that. Super weird. Is Earthbound on the SNES Classic? I forgot.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Paper Mario 64 is my favorite. While TTYD has some higher highs, I do think it has some lower lows with some of its more tedious sections.

Also PM64 has my favorite portrayal of Bowser, so that helps.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If Earthbound had similar issues, it makes me wonder if it even was copyright then. Maybe there were emulation issues? Then again, Earthbound has some weird copyright stuff with the yo-yo, so maybe it's that. Super weird. Is Earthbound on the SNES Classic? I forgot.
Similar is a eh way to put it, admittedly. By similar I mean talking with the developers of the series was difficult. But for different reasons. You see, Earthbound used remixes of many copyrighted songs, which was easy to get away with back then. They had to make sure this wasn't an issue.

SE is a different kind of copyright issue, since convincing them things would sell well for them outside of the US and Japan is an important factor.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Similar is a eh way to put it, admittedly. By similar I mean talking with the developers of the series was difficult. But for different reasons. You see, Earthbound used remixes of many copyrighted songs, which was easy to get away with back then. They had to make sure this wasn't an issue.

SE is a different kind of copyright issue, since convincing them things would sell well for them outside of the US and Japan is an important factor.
Oh heck, that's right. I forgot about the music bit, heh. Mother 3 even had that, too... yet I was so focused on the silliness of the whole yo-yo thing.

On the bright side, SMRPG must have done well enough on both VCs for SE to OK it being part of the SNES Classic. That's a great thing!

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I am willing to say Super Mario RPG had issues because of the technology. Star Fox for SNES, if I am not mistaken, is not even on VC for Wii or Wii U.

The higher end SNES games seemed to take longer to get onto the service but notice how they were all readily available (or most of them were) for Wii U and SNES Mini.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, Earthbound is on the SNES Classic.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace

Understandable.

Paper Mario 64's paint or artwork of the landscape, like, everything in that game was so adorable and innocent; I loved the partners in that game. TTYD gets better after Chapter 2, and I do agree it's pretty slow at first. Yes, I agree that SPM has the darkest story in any Mario game. Sticker Star, ugh... I got it as a gift and was very thankful, but I just didn't like it at all. I hope we see a Paper Mario game like the first two again, and I'd even love an HD remake of Paper Mario 64.
TTYD is good, but it's almost too good; too perfect. PM64 definitely has more charm and innocence to it, and was more memorable to me at least; I've hardly touched TTYD since I played it as a kid, but have picked up PM64 on multiple occasions. Unbelievably atmospheric soundtrack:

That paired with nostalgia is deadly... I actually consider PM64 as one of the last things I feel nostalgia over... it's just retro enough.
Lol, I've popped in and out of this thread (consider myself a Geno support since '08 -- or really since the first Smash game, cause why not?), and just came back here to see if people were still visiting this thread daily... men of endurance over here!
Paper Mario on the N64 is definitely the most innocent and cutest, and those are wonderful soundtracks!
My favorite soundtracks in PM64 have got to be these:

I remember playing PM64 for the first time and seeing the Koopa Brothers, eventually remembering where I originally saw them...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

River Twygz Bed in Super Paper Mario should be added as a track for Ultimate!

Ovaltine

Smash Master
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, GUYS! I'll see if I can whip something up today to celebrate, congestion willing!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yay for anniversary day! Hope there is some sort of Nintendo acknowledgement, though it's not the end of the world if it doesn't happen.

Firox

Smash Master
Hey everyone what do you think Geno would want as his last meal if he was sentenced to death for crimes against the Mushroom Kingdom

I think he would like a chocolate cake and maybe a steak (medium rare)
lol He would enjoy a delicious ice cream sundae with a cherry on top. Soon afterwards they would take him to the gallows and tighten a noose around his neck. The executioner adjusts the black hood covering his face.
"Any last words before sentence is carried out?" he asks.
Geno closes his eyes for a moment, taking a deep breathe before opening them with a smile. "Abra Kadabra..."
The executioner pulls at the level and the floor drops out beneath the puppet boy's feet. The crowd of toads and yoshis gasp as he falls. Then, in that terrifying moment when the rope snaps taut, Geno's supple wooden head pops free of its neck like a cork from a bottle. With his body now free, it lands on the soft gravel below, sticking the landing with all the grace of a professional gymnast. Its hands shoot up in a instant, catching the falling head only to place it once again atop its caped shoulders. The audience looks on, utterly dumbfounded to see the condemned puppet standing in one piece beside an empty noose.
"Now, for my next trick," Geno says with a grin, "it's time to disappear!"
With a flourish of his cape, the puppet dashed into the startled crowd, vanishing into the sea of faces while the palace guards gave chase....

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Here’s a Mario RPG animation I like:

Oh my god, Nathalie's Geno is forever the canon Geno in my mind. No one can tell me otherwise.

Speaking of her work, here's a reminder that she made probably one of the best, if not the best, SMRPG artwork in the freaking universe with her color key. If you haven't seen it yet, you REALLY should!

Now to go back to rest because my lungs feel like boulders. :(

D

Deleted member

lol He would enjoy a delicious ice cream sundae with a cherry on top. Soon afterwards they would take him to the gallows and tighten a noose around his neck. The executioner adjusts the black hood covering his face.
"Any last words before sentence is carried out?" he asks.
Geno closes his eyes for a moment, taking a deep breathe before opening them with a smile. "Abra Kadabra..."
The executioner pulls at the level and the floor drops out beneath the puppet boy's feet. The crowd of toads and yoshis gasp as he falls. Then, in that terrifying moment when the rope snaps taut, Geno's supple wooden head pops free of its neck like a cork from a bottle. With his body now free, it lands on the soft gravel below, sticking the landing with all the grace of a professional gymnast. Its hands shoot up in a instant, catching the falling head only to place it once again atop its caped shoulders. The audience looks on, utterly dumbfounded to see the condemned puppet standing in one piece beside an empty noose.
"Now, for my next trick," Geno says with a grin, "it's time to disappear!"
With a flourish of his cape, the puppet dashed into the startled crowd, vanishing into the sea of faces while the palace guards gave chase....
I'd buy an SMRPG book that had this.

link2702

Smash Champion
Well if they were gonna mention the game at all I think it’s safe to assume they would have by now.

Anyway, happy 23rd smrpg.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Well if they were gonna mention the game at all I think it’s safe to assume they would have by now.

Anyway, happy 23rd smrpg.
Not necessarily. Nintendo's tweeted throughout the day before. If anything, only directs are usually announced as early as possible. That said, yeah, I don't think they're going to, which is a shame. Even just retweeting the #TeamGeno and #TeamMallow tweet would have been nice, but alas.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Not necessarily. Nintendo's tweeted throughout the day before. If anything, only directs are usually announced as early as possible. That said, yeah, I don't think they're going to, which is a shame. Even just retweeting the #TeamGeno and #TeamMallow tweet would have been nice, but alas.
Yep still waiting.

Also, still streaming. Next area is Rose Way. Blue puppet boi, here I come!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah, the Discord is kinda more for the site planning at the moment. The Star Road Discord for the Geno thread (which is also for Operation Starfall) is absolutely jam-packed, though. Since streaming is more of a fun and celebratory endeavor at the moment, given we're still working on the site, I'd say your best bet would be there to get more people in here.

As for me, feel free to show any of my Geno pieces over at my art blog! I also post a little of it on my Twitter, too. As for specific pieces, you can just pick and choose. You can just credit it all under 'skubulbunt'.
Did you make all the art on there? Some of it is quite gracefully majestic :)

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Yep still waiting.

Also, still streaming. Next area is Rose Way. Blue puppet boi, here I come!
Dang, you trooper! I doubt you'll still be streaming by the time I'm able to be around properly, but if I am, I'll be there.

Did you make all the art on there? Some of it is quite gracefully majestic :)
Sure did! I don't post anyone else's art but my own on my art blog. Some of the older pieces are... eh. I hadn't really figured out how I wanted to nail Geno. Some of my later stuff is a lot nicer, though, not to toot my own horn. It just took a bit to get my footing.

Firox

Smash Master
Yeah, I really don't want to be pessimistic or anything, but if Nintendo doesn't so much as give us a mild fart over the SMRPG anniversary then I'm going to be a tad bit worried. I mean, it's not like they go out of their way for everything else, but it might say quite a bit if they don't even recognize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom