• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Something I thought about this morning is how odd it is that Chrom's, Inkling's, K. Rool's, and Isabelle's Mii costumes, ones given very little fanfare, were upgraded to playable characters... yet the Geno Mii costume, the one with an insane amount of fanfare and a splash screen, has not been upgraded at all.
May I share an unpopular opinion as long as you guys promise not to hate me too much? I'm hungover and my feelings are fragile. =[

Personally, I'm glad the Geno Mii costume didn't come back. I thought it looked dumb as hell and it was a slap to the face for me when they showed it for Smash 4. I wasn't even on the speculation hype train for Smash 4 and never played much of it on my 3DS when the game came out but when I saw that Mii costume, I was a little insulted as someone who was still a supporter for Geno despite not caring much for the WiiU/3DsS installment and as someone who only makes 3 Mii characters of themselves (one of each of the classes so they at least show up on the roster). I felt the same way about K. Rool too. I don't play 'em. Never touch them. I think the concept of Mii's in Smash is cool and I feel they're definately necessary now but I'm not gonna go out of my way to make one for Lip or Isaac or any other character that didn't make it in the roster this time around.

Again, it looks ridiculous. I don't want to play as a Mii and pretend like I'm playing as Geno. I want to play as Geno. Period. That's just my personal take on it though. If a lot of people really truly do love it and Geno isn't on the final roster, then bringing it back isn't gonna make me lose any sleep and I'll be happy for those that wanted it back but once again: it looks tacky and I hate it.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I generally treat Mii Fighters as the bootlegs that they are. They're absolutely a good idea and fun in their own right, but they're no substitute for the genuine article.

That said, I have a really fun time making my own ****posty bootleg fighters. All these FE characters and they don't even have the protagonist? Come on.
2018122705111500-0E7DF678130F4F0FA2C88AE72B47AFDF.jpg

D

Deleted member

I generally treat Mii Fighters as the bootlegs that they are. They're absolutely a good idea and fun in their own right, but they're no substitute for the genuine article.

That said, I have a really fun time making my own ****posty bootleg fighters. All these FE characters and they don't even have the protagonist? Come on.
View attachment 208228
I use to have a Mario Mii with the Chrom costume and called him "Chromario"

I deleted him and replaced him with a Brawler Steve Harvey
Screenshot_20190412-222347_Gallery.jpg

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
May I share an unpopular opinion as long as you guys promise not to hate me too much? I'm hungover and my feelings are fragile. =[

Personally, I'm glad the Geno Mii costume didn't come back. I thought it looked dumb as hell and it was a slap to the face for me when they showed it for Smash 4. I wasn't even on the speculation hype train for Smash 4 and never played much of it on my 3DS when the game came out but when I saw that Mii costume, I was a little insulted as someone who was still a supporter for Geno despite not caring much for the WiiU/3DsS installment and as someone who only makes 3 Mii characters of themselves (one of each of the classes so they at least show up on the roster). I felt the same way about K. Rool too. I don't play 'em. Never touch them. I think the concept of Mii's in Smash is cool and I feel they're definately necessary now but I'm not gonna go out of my way to make one for Lip or Isaac or any other character that didn't make it in the roster this time around.

Again, it looks ridiculous. I don't want to play as a Mii and pretend like I'm playing as Geno. I want to play as Geno. Period. That's just my personal take on it though. If a lot of people really truly do love it and Geno isn't on the final roster, then bringing it back isn't gonna make me lose any sleep and I'll be happy for those that wanted it back but once again: it looks tacky and I hate it.
See, someone else here mentioned that they didn't even buy the costume at all because they felt insulted by it, and this is where I have issues because...

If enough people treated that costume they way you guys did, that means less people bought it than we might have thought, and you know what that means? Other costumes may have sold more than Geno's and now NoJ sees the low stats of Geno's costume sales and says 'Welp, they say they wanted him, but the numbers show differently. Good thing we picked Cloud instead, and next time we will talk to Square about Dragon Quest rather than waste our time bringing back up SMRPG.'

Seriously, you guys don't get it, and it actually pisses me off.

I GET that you guys felt like the Mii Costume was a slap in the face. I GET that you wanted Geno to actually be playable, because I DO TOO! However, what you guys fail to understand is that Geno is a one-and-done character from an almost 23-year-old title and only has a chance from fan support, and you JUST TOOK AWAY YOUR FAN SUPPORT WHEN IT MATTERED MOST! Hell, the costume even got more fanfare than any other costume in Smash 4. Sakurai was basically like 'Guys, look! We remember him! Unfortunately I couldn't do more than this, but I still made DAMN sure I got you guys something after all these years.' and NoJ is sitting there like 'Hmm, I feel like this is a waste, but at least we have Cloud.' and then blinded by your own ego you didn't financially support him?

Welp, if we don't get Geno, I know who to point fingers at: not Square, not NoA or NoJ, but to the supposed Geno fans who failed to show their support when it mattered most.

EDIT: I don't hate anyone who bought the costume and did nothing with it, mind you, and I don't hate anyone at all really. I just very much dislike this idea of 'Screw a costume, give me the character' when it was clear that the costume was the best that could be done and effort was made specifically for us fans of Geno AND that buying the costume was the proof NoJ and Square needed to know that it was worth investing more resources into in the future.
--------------------------------------

Nah, the truly most powerful mii is Vincent.
I wish I still was under the illusion that Alpharad was entertaining, but unfortunately I came to realize that it's the content outside of himself that is entertaining, and the content he does could be done by literally anyone and that includes people much more amusing than him.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
As someone who’s mains in Melee were Ness and Roy and in Brawl were Ness, Lucas, Pokemon Trainer, and Wolf I’ll give my opinion on cuts:

They suck and I hate them.

Also I’m gonna need a hot minute to throw together a top 10 favorite games.

D

Deleted member

See, someone else here mentioned that they didn't even buy the costume at all because they felt insulted by it, and this is where I have issues because...

If enough people treated that costume they way you guys did, that means less people bought it than we might have thought, and you know what that means? Other costumes may have sold more than Geno's and now NoJ sees the low stats of Geno's costume sales and says 'Welp, they say they wanted him, but the numbers show differently. Good thing we picked Cloud instead, and next time we will talk to Square about Dragon Quest rather than waste our time bringing back up SMRPG.'

I GET that you guys felt like the Mii Costume was a slap in the face. I GET that you wanted Geno to actually be playable, because I DO TOO! However, what you guys fail to understand is that Geno is a one-and-done character from an almost 23-year-old title and only has a chance from fan support, and you JUST TOOK AWAY YOUR FAN SUPPORT WHEN IT MATTERED MOST! Hell, the costume even got more fanfare than any other costume in Smash 4. Sakurai was basically like 'Guys, look! We remember him! Unfortunately I couldn't do more than this, but I still made DAMN sure I got you guys something after all these years.' and NoJ is sitting there like 'Hmm, I feel like this is a waste, but at least we have Cloud.' and then blinded by your own ego you didn't financially support him?

Welp, if we don't get Geno, I know who to point fingers at: not Square, not NoA or NoJ, but to the supposed Geno fans who failed to show their support when it mattered most.

EDIT: I don't hate anyone who bought the costume and did nothing with it, mind you, and I don't hate anyone at all really. I just very much dislike this idea of 'Screw a costume, give me the character' when it was clear that the costume was the best that could be done and effort was made specifically for us fans of Geno AND that buying the costume was the proof NoJ and Square needed to know that it was worth investing more resources into in the future.
Sorry you feel that way but truth is, I didn't buy any of the DLC for Smash 4. Not even Cloud and I'm a biased VII deluded fanboy. I've mentioned in my previous post and got into detail a few months back when I came back to these boards after about a decade of inactivity about my experience with Smash 4. I wasn't as invested into it as much as I am now for Ultimate. Smash 4 just kind of left a sour taste in my mouth when I found out they were cutting some great fan favourites like ICs, Snake, Wolf and saving Lucas and Mewtwo for DLC. I just didn't care anymore and I just knew that Geno wouldn't have debuted during that time either. This time around, the whole "Everyone is Here!" Mantra and Ridley's inclusion (who was my #2 hopeful since Brawl) got me hook line and sinker to the point where I had to fight to get the Smash Edition of the Switch and still even bought a physical copy of the game despite the Switch bundle inclusing a download code for the game. I bought the Fighters Pass too because I want the complete experience and everything the game has to over post-release. Even if Erdrick and Steve are the DLC, I'll still get them (kinda have to now considering I did purchase the Fighter's Pass on the same day the game dropped lol). Oh, and I never owned a Wii U soooo that too. I played Smash 4 on my 3DS for like maybe 10 hours over a weekend and never touched it again.

So yeah, I definitely wasn't going to spend my hard earned money on a silly looking cosmetic for a game that I wasn't emotionally invested in and a game I never gave much attention too in the first place. If they bring it back this time around, I'll definately get it because I want my Ultimate Smash game to feel complete with all the DLC despite how stupid I think some things may look. It's not gonna make me any happier or sadder if they do bring it back but I personally believe he's better off just being a Legendary Spirit if our boy doesn't make it in as DLC. Like I said; I don't want to play as a Mii Fighter and pretend I'm playing as Geno. I want to play as Geno. So don't ****ing blame me or ****ing point fingers at me because it's not my fault the content of their last Smash game didn't interest me enough to warrant buying a new console and the game like Ultimate did. If it pisses you off so much, that's your problem and not mine.

You need to cool it. You don't know everyones experiences or their feelings towards the subject at hand. If you would rather point fingers at a fanbase you are a part of for not buying something they don't want than you're just an ***hole.

Last edited by a moderator:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

I hard disagree. I didn’t buy a single Mii costume in Smash 4 and I won’t buy any in Ultimate if they come. For one, I just have personally never enjoyed playing as the Mii’s and find them to be the absolute most generic characters in the game. Which they are supposed to be, but despite all of the effort they’ve had put into them, I just don’t enjoy any of their move sets and they just seem so generic no matter what I do.

But more importantly, the Mii costumes are paid cosmetics. That’s all they are and all they have ever been. They are absolutely the closest we’ve seen Nintendo get to microtransactions, and I have taken a hard stance against paying for cosmetics ever since they became a focus of much of the market. A $1 isn’t super egregious, but it’s bad enough, especially for how many little costumes there were throughout Smash 4’s life cycle. Plus, I also agree with the notion that they’re ugly as sin in most cases because the Mii faces are ugly as sin in their design. Geno’s was one of the better ones admittedly, but still not something I particularly enjoyed.

The whole, buy this or you won't get more tactic pops up ALL the time in the industry to drive sales of anything a company is slightly unsure about. Buy Soulcalibur VI or the series might be finished was a claim from last year and I saw a whole lot of Soulcalibur fans jump to the product and demand others buy it to save their series, never mind how small the roster was and how problematic the roster was. We also saw a similar situation with Chibi-Robo a couple years back when Nintendo said that fans should buy Zip-Lash if they wanted to see the series continue. Again, never mind that it was a mediocre 2D platformer that strayed pretty far from what the series was originally about. The idea makes sense on paper from an economic standpoint, if the fans aren't buying your product and generating your desired profit, it's probably not worth continuing to make those things. But that same ideology also allows a company to entirely absolve itself of blame for a producing a worse or unfavorable product. Nope, they can just shift the blame entirely to the fans for not buying said product.

Geno's Mii Costume is the same watered down product in this scenario. If Nintendo decides to drop the idea of Geno based upon his Mii Costume sales, they get to blame us entirely for not buying "the product" while taking no ownership of the fact they didn't actually provide something desirable to his fan base. We're supposed to vote with our wallets in terms of what content we like and what content we don't, if we think something is worth our money or not. And I don't blame a single person for not buying a Mii Costume in Smash where it's quite possibly the most inconsequential content of all and may be completely useless to the user. We shouldn't be strong-armed into buying things we don't like or think are of worse quality just to "save a franchise" or to "show interest." Again, it comes down to the principle of how we as customers are being treated, and I'm not comfortable with them trying to force my hand as a fan like that.

Not to mention, Sakurai never really positioned the situation like that when he talked about Geno. I also can't fault fans for not supporting something like the Mii costume when it was just positioned as a gift to the fans when he couldn't do better. Sakurai never made any commentary that Geno's future depended on the sales of this costume. He seemed excited to be able to offer the fans something and that was the predominant point in his messaging about Geno. Especially when other characters like Isabelle, Chrom, King K. Rool, and Inkling managed to get into Ultimate just fine it would seem. Even the bull**** incentive to buy something for the character's "potential future" wasn't there.

I'm glad Sakurai gave us something to show that he holds some passion for Geno and respects us fans. I am. But I'm not going to be abused as a fan into buying something I don't want either and I stand against cosmetic DLC in basically all forms. And I don't blame anyone, especially Geno fans, for not buying the costume.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
My opinion of the outfit is that people can buy it to support our boy... or not. I understand both sides of the argument, I really do.

However, in the end, Nintendo should NOT use the sales of that costume to gauge interest in Geno because those numbers will not be accurate. It'd be a frankly stupid move to do so. Sm4sh was a mediocre (by comparison) Smash game on a system that was already doomed by failure. Basing popularity on character costume sales on a game that was not that well-received by the community, was on a dying system, AND was for a pretty niche character to begin with? That'd be a completely short-sighted move.

I don't think the costume sales mattered in the end for Sm4sh. Heck, I doubt K. Rool's costume sold much (now that, THAT is what I'd call an insult, getting K. Rool in Ultimate was a freaking godsend), but we still got him in Ultimate's base game. I sincerely don't think they're counting costume sales for characters, at least not for the prior game.

Am I satisfied with Geno's outfit? Nawh. It's disproportionate and weird, and it's impossible to even imitate the color of the wood on a Mii face. It doesn't even really feel like playing Geno at all. It's pretty ugly. However, it's something, and I personally take it with open arms. When it comes to Geno content, I am not picky, but I can't blame anyone else for thinking otherwise, y'know?

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

--------------------------------------

I wish I still was under the illusion that Alpharad was entertaining, but unfortunately I came to realize that it's the content outside of himself that is entertaining, and the content he does could be done by literally anyone and that includes people much more amusing than him.
I mean, an awful lot of people didn't buy any of the Mii Costumes in Smash 4 out of principle and/or just didn't have much cash to throw around for Smash 4's DLC in general - myself included - but **** them, I guess. People had plenty of good reason to not be satisfied with a poor man's imitation of their favorite character (especially as paid DLC), but naw, any Geno fan who didn't bow down to the man and buy a costume they didn't want is a fake fan and should be ashamed of themselves.
Honestly, listen to yourself, mate.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't think Mii costumes are supposed to be perfect imitations in the first place. They are more like other characters' color palettes that references characters other than their own, like how Lucina's palette swaps are supposed to be other female characters in Awakening.

Also, don't insult other users. If you have a problem with their way of thinking, civilly discuss it.

D

Deleted member

I'll give my two cents on the Geno Mii costume:

I do like that they added it in Smash 4, but it'll never be the same as the real thing.

In other words, I liked it, but I need real Geno on the roster now lol

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Concerning the costume ;
I wasn't a Geno supporter back then.

I remember voting for Rayman and Shantae in the ballot , but I wasn't incredibly attached to them before.

I personnaly bought the costume because I thought it looked neat. However , as Ovaltine said... I doubt that the Geno costume sales mattered that much. Mii costumes even sold pretty poorly with competitive players , since they were never able to find a compromise or way to make the miis legal. (When in the end , only small mii brawler with helicopter kick was problematic...)
Also simple reminder that all the Sm4sh DLC costed around 40 dollars total , without the mii costumes if I recall correctly.

If the costume is all we're getting , I'm gonna buy it , but I ain't gonna buy the Square rep if I don't like em.
I like playing as my Saki Mii gunner (sometimes Chibi , but that costume just look so... Weird.) , so I would enjoy doing the same with a Geno Mii gunner.

However , I would gladly take a playable Geno instead.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
The Geno Mii Costume was the only non character DLC I bought. If it comes back, it might be the only DLC I buy.

I am also believer that we could be getting two Square Enix characters. Kind of like the idea of a Smash exclusive direct going:

-Explains/Shows Off Joker and Stage (Says Joker will be available as soon as 3.0.0 drops that same day)
-Shows Off New Modes
-Reminds us of Fighter Pass/Reveals Erdrick Reveal Trailer (Reveals June release for Erdrick/FP2)
-Reveals Chocobo Costume Return + New Slime Hat
-"However, I have one more thing to show you."
-Geno Reveal Trailer. Ends with Geno being released at the same time as Erdrick. Similar case to Piranha Plant as he is a separate from fighter pass but comes with price.

But who truly knows at this point. Sakurai is unpredictable, right?

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
The Geno Mii Costume was the only non character DLC I bought. If it comes back, it might be the only DLC I buy.

I am also believer that we could be getting two Square Enix characters. Kind of like the idea of a Smash exclusive direct going:

-Explains/Shows Off Joker and Stage (Says Joker will be available as soon as 3.0.0 drops that same day)
-Shows Off New Modes
-Reminds us of Fighter Pass/Reveals Erdrick Reveal Trailer (Reveals June release for Erdrick/FP2)
-Geno Reveal Trailer. Ends with Geno being released at the same time as Erdrick. Similar case to Piranha Plant as he is a separate from fighter pass but comes with price.

This is actually a very reasonnable compromise for Square Enix and Sakurai.

While Sakurai has to stay with Nintendo's selection for the Fighter pass , he doesn't have to for content outside of the fighter pass.

The only real issue I could see about this is that Geno would add quite some development time , even if they use Mega Man or Mii Gunner as a base.

D

Deleted member

How's the geno thread doing with the wait?
At this point, we've waited so long for a reveal that I almost don't care when the 2nd DLC character is revealed.

But if it's one of my boys then it will have been WELL worth the wait

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

-Shows Off New Modes

This is actually a very reasonnable compromise for Square Enix and Sakurai.

While Sakurai has to stay with Nintendo's selection for the Fighter pass , he doesn't have to for content outside of the fighter pass.

The only real issue I could see about this is that Geno would add quite some development time , even if they use Mega Man or Mii Gunner as a base.
I mean, I love the idea of releasing Geno separately outside of the Fighter's Pass just to get him in, but it's not so cut and dry. When you buy a season of content, you generally expect to get the stuff that comes out in that season. A new character dropped in the middle of that season that you as the consumer don't get and still have to pay for seems like something that would piss off a lot of people. The messaging of the whole campaign would be off since people would expect him to be a part of the season pass since he's a brand new, original character and then be confused as to why they have to pay for him when they already got the season pass. People tend to not like that and most developers tend to wait until they're outside of the "season" to release additional content from what we see with other season passes.

Could Nintendo and Sakurai say screw it? Sure. They can do whatever they want, but I could see the justification for not releasing the extra character as well. He could work as a bonus character of some sort that is either given away for free or with additional content though, but that also depends on how much of the cost surrounding Geno's rights Nintendo would be willing to absorb on their own. There's also the whole issue of characters just taking ages to develop for Smash based upon Sakurai's previous comments, so it's also a question if they'd take the time to pull away from promised content they're developing to do something off the wall. Again, I'd love to see it happen, there's just additional stuff to consider and deal with.

I'm still not really expecting a whole lot from a next Direct though and it's possible we have to wait until E3 for our next reveal. I just don't know how much content they've got done right now too...

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
alright guys I'm at Smithy.

I fought him with Mario, Mallow, and Geno, and did pretty good, lasting for a while in the second stage until he oof'd Mario and Geno before proceeding to oof Mallow shortly afterwards.

I was thinking of switching Mallow for Peach, but I'm really wanting to use the Mario-Mallow-Geno team. What do y'all think would be best?

This is what I have for items and gear:

-Some royal syrups
-Some max mushrooms
-An ice bomb and a fire bomb...or one of either, I forgot
-Two bracers, one red essence
-2 or so pick me ups
-Maybe an able juice, idk, and probably a froggie drink (To explain why I'm not being fully specific or accurate, I last played on Thursday)
-I only have one Rock Candy, the one Toad gives you

-Everyone has Fire armor
-Mario has the Ultra Hammer
-Peach has the Mega Slap
-Bowser has the Drill Claw
-Geno has the Star Cannon
-Mallow has the Sticky Gloves (I have a feeling there was a better weapon for him in Bowser's Castle or some place, but I didn't find it in the routes I took and it seems you can't backtrack once you get far into the Factory).

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I mean, I love the idea of releasing Geno separately outside of the Fighter's Pass just to get him in, but it's not so cut and dry. When you buy a season of content, you generally expect to get the stuff that comes out in that season. A new character dropped in the middle of that season that you as the consumer don't get and still have to pay for seems like something that would piss off a lot of people. The messaging of the whole campaign would be off since people would expect him to be a part of the season pass since he's a brand new, original character and then be confused as to why they have to pay for him when they already got the season pass. People tend to not like that and most developers tend to wait until they're outside of the "season" to release additional content from what we see with other season passes.

Could Nintendo and Sakurai say screw it? Sure. They can do whatever they want, but I could see the justification for not releasing the extra character as well. He could work as a bonus character of some sort that is either given away for free or with additional content though, but that also depends on how much of the cost surrounding Geno's rights Nintendo would be willing to absorb on their own. There's also the whole issue of characters just taking ages to develop for Smash based upon Sakurai's previous comments, so it's also a question if they'd take the time to pull away from promised content they're developing to do something off the wall. Again, I'd love to see it happen, there's just additional stuff to consider and deal with.

I'm still not really expecting a whole lot from a next Direct though and it's possible we have to wait until E3 for our next reveal. I just don't know how much content they've got done right now too...
I can understand , and I didn't thought about that possibility (people buying the FP but content releasing outside of it).

The "bonus" character route is more likely for Geno if he's not the Square rep , and even then , it depend on how much money Geno rights cost + developpment time. They could use :ultgunner: or :ultmegaman: as a base , like they did with Cloud and Ike , or Bayonetta and ZSS back in Sm4sh.But it would still be a big investment of time.

As to the April direct , the only stuff I expect is:

-Joker with stage and music
-Stage Builder
-(Maybe?) Boss rush , home-run contest , break the targets , stuff like that.

I am not expecting a character reveal unless they DON'T WANT SMASH AT E3.
It would be a bit weird to only know about Joker since December 2018 to June 2019 , that's seven months. (Assuming they would do a character reveal at E3)
Granted , the deadline for the fighterpass is February 2020 , but still... 7 months and only Joker , and there will be 8 months left.

So a character every 2 months... ? It would be weird to have this many characters after a kind of dry period. (Granted , there was PP.)

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I can understand , and I didn't thought about that possibility (people buying the FP but content releasing outside of it).

The "bonus" character route is more likely for Geno if he's not the Square rep , and even then , it depend on how much money Geno rights cost + developpment time. They could use :ultgunner: or :ultmegaman: as a base , like they did with Cloud and Ike , or Bayonetta and ZSS back in Sm4sh.But it would still be a big investment of time.

As to the April direct , the only stuff I expect is:

-Joker with stage and music
-Stage Builder
-(Maybe?) Boss rush , home-run contest , break the targets , stuff like that.

I am not expecting a character reveal unless they DON'T WANT SMASH AT E3.
It would be a bit weird to only know about Joker since December 2018 to June 2019 , that's seven months. (Assuming they would do a character reveal at E3)
Granted , the deadline for the fighterpass is February 2020 , but still... 7 months and only Joker , and there will be 8 months left.

So a character every 2 months... ? It would be weird to have this many characters after a kind of dry period. (Granted , there was PP.)
I think it could be reasonable to see them release Joker at the end of the month and tease another character at the end. Then potentially have the next character drop during E3 with another announcement of the next. So we could by the end of E3 potentially know the third character of the pass even if they'd be a couple of months out. Just depends on how much work they have done on characters right now, which is real questionable given that we know they had to work on Piranha Plant for a while, are actively doing balance patches, and they're providing free content updates with Stage Builder at the very least being added into the game.

I got a sense this year of DLC may have a decent amount of focus on modes and content as opposed to extra characters (AKA extra beyond the Fighter's Pass) and that might be why it takes a while for us to see the entirety of the Fighter's Pass since they're working on other content. Especially if they bring back additional DLC stages too (Which I really hope we see a non-Fighter's Pass stage or two as DLC ala Wii U and 3DS).

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
How's the geno thread doing with the wait?
As Iv'e said before , I have no expectations for the FP , since I have enough characters on the roster that I like. (:ultalph::ultolimar::ultkingdedede::ultpacman::ulticeclimbers::ultkrool: , and more.)
I'm mainly here to talk with the GenoBros and GenoSis.

But honestly , I'm really curious as to what Geno will be if he's included in the FP. Costume ? AT ? Playable character ?

View attachment 208334

I have it hanging off my cabinet. My Ness hats are hanging off the other side. :3
Oooooh , it's really cute ! Also , it seem like all the retro Nintendo RPG characters that are fan-favorite have cool hats (Geno , Ness , Ninten , ect...)

I fought him with Mario, Mallow, and Geno, and did pretty good, lasting for a while in the second stage until he oof'd Mario and Geno before proceeding to oof Mallow shortly afterwards.

I was thinking of switching Mallow for Peach, but I'm really wanting to use the Mario-Mallow-Geno team. What do y'all think would be best?

-Some royal syrups
-Some max mushrooms
-2 or so pick me ups
-Maybe an able juice, idk, and probably a froggie drink (To explain why I'm not being fully specific or accurate, I last played on Thursday)

-Everyone has Fire armor
-Peach has the Mega Slap
-Mallow has the Sticky Gloves (I have a feeling there was a better weapon for him in Bowser's Castle or some place, but I didn't find it in the routes I took and it seems you can't backtrack once you get far into the Factory).
Buy more pick me up ! You can't use Peach to revive allies , and it's a two phase boss fight , you should give yourself more room for error.

Also you're right about Mallow , you could have gotten the Sonic Cymbals in Bowser's castle.

Also buy more royal syrups , and make Mario the main user of item (Geno's magic deal a ton of damage and Mallow can heal + deal good ammounts of damage) , only attack with him if you don't need to use items.
Also use Geno boost on Mario and Mallow ASAP , you get a defense boost if you time it correctly , and you need to be more defensive with the Mario/Mallow/Geno team.

If you really can't do it , I suggest farming a bit (lvl 20 is enough I think) or picking the Mario/Geno/Peach team , since it's the strongest team in the game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

-Some royal syrups
-Some max mushrooms
-2 or so pick me ups

-Everyone has Fire armor
-Peach has the Mega Slap
Good luck dude.

And yeah, I will always use Mario, Mallow, and Geno for the final fight. No Peach or Bowser.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
As Iv'e said before , I have no expectations for the FP , since I have enough characters on the roster that I like. (:ultalph::ultolimar::ultkingdedede::ultpacman::ulticeclimbers::ultkrool: , and more.)
I'm mainly here to talk with the GenoBros and GenoSis.

But honestly , I'm really curious as to what Geno will be if he's included in the FP. Costume ? AT ? Playable character ?

Oooooh , it's really cute ! Also , it seem like all the retro Nintendo RPG characters that are fan-favorite have cool hats (Geno , Ness , Ninten , ect...)

Buy more pick me up ! You can't use Peach to revive allies , and it's a two phase boss fight , you should give yourself more room for error.

Also you're right about Mallow , you could have gotten the Sonic Cymbals in Bowser's castle.

Also buy more royal syrups , and make Mario the main user of item (Geno's magic deal a ton of damage and Mallow can heal + deal good ammounts of damage) , only attack with him if you don't need to use items.
Also use Geno boost on Mario and Mallow ASAP , you get a defense boost if you time it correctly , and you need to be more defensive with the Mario/Mallow/Geno team.

If you really can't do it , I suggest farming a bit (lvl 20 is enough I think) or picking the Mario/Geno/Peach team , since it's the strongest team in the game.
It's refreshing to see someone happy with the roster :)

I think and hope we get the 3rd party costumes not long after joker's release. It'll be good to finally see what comes back, and what's new too.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
(I never owned Mario 64 as a kid, and in Ocarina of Time, I got stuck in the sand temple and had no idea how to progress)
Where did you get stuck in the Spirit Temple? I'm curious. I'm remember I got stuck in the Water Temple the first time I played Ocarina of Time because I didn't know that one room with the clams that had a key underneath the room in the center of the temple where you raise part of the water existed. I remember not being able to get to Shadow Link because I couldn't find another key in the temple, so I restarted the whole game all over again lol.

Something I thought about this morning is how odd it is that Chrom's, Inkling's, K. Rool's, and Isabelle's Mii costumes, ones given very little fanfare, were upgraded to playable characters... yet the Geno Mii costume, the one with an insane amount of fanfare and a splash screen, has not been upgraded at all.

Hm.

Don't give up hope.
Than there's also Lloyd who unlike all the other Smash 4 Mii costumes who got upgraded to playable, Assist, or spirit didn't get nothing in Ultimate. I think he has a solid shot for the Season Pass.

Aren't they all Nintendo owned characters?
Yes, they are.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
It's refreshing to see someone happy with the roster :)

I think and hope we get the 3rd party costumes not long after joker's release. It'll be good to finally see what comes back, and what's new too.
I'm really happy with this roster , simply having back everyone mean that a lot of my favorites are still here , and I loved the majority of the newcomers. (:ultridley::ultchrom::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultpiranha:) Even if I needed some time to get used to PP , and that some people used Plant for "Lol your character got BTFO a potted plant got in instead" , I ended up liking the plant in the end.

Honestly , I'm just in the mindset of "I simply want more characters that I love" when talking about newcomers.
I'm open to surprises (:ultpacman: was a surprise to me and ended up beeing in my Sm4sh trio , learned a lot about his 3D games too) , but I would rather take a character that I know that I'll like (Rayman , Saki Amamiya , Takamaru , ect...) instead of a complete surprise or wild pick character.
And there's like , 50+ characters I would like , and a good chunk of them are first party.

Concerning third party costumes , here's the one I would like to see :

-SEGA : Tails and Knuckles back. Add Shadow as brawler and Eggman as Gunner. Billy Hatcher as a brawler. Stuff like Ai Ai , NiGHTS , Amiigo , Arle Nadja would also be cool.

-CAPCOM : Protoman and Zero back. I would like Chun Li as a Brawler , and a Cut Man costume could be funny.

-BANDAI NAMCO: Lloyd and Heihachi back. Klonoa as either a brawler or a gunner. I want his design from Klonoa : Door to Phantomile.

-KONAMI : Bomberman as a brawler. Alucard would be nice , too. Maybe Revolver Ocelot as a gunner ?

-SQUARE ENIX : Geno back (if he can't be playable) , Mallow as swordfighter with froggie stick. Sephiroth mii costume would be cute lol. Chocobo hat back , alongside a slime hat. Erdrick (both male/female(if he can't be playable) , Crono as swordighter , Agnès costume would also be cool. And a Gex costume , it would be hilarious lol.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Where did you get stuck in the Spirit Temple? I'm curious. I'm remember I got stuck in the Water Temple the first time I played Ocarina of Time because I didn't know that one room with the clams that had a key underneath the room in the center of the temple where you raise part of the water existed. I remember not being able to get to Shadow Link because I couldn't find another key in the temple, so I restarted the whole game all over again lol.
I don't remember exactly (it's been a long time since I played it), but I know I had the hover boots; either there was some gap that I couldn't cross with them, or there was another way to get over there with them and I just didn't know/figure out how.

When I replay it, I might start fresh with the Gamecube collector's edition, though I'll probably stick with a walkthrough for the Water Temple.

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
In regards to character selection, I'm not sure how the west is being ignored if we got characters like Ridley (who's significantly more popular in the west, along with Metroid as a whole), Dark Samus (who was explicitly mentioned as being a popular choice in North America who would work as a clone), and K. Rool, or Little Mac, or Bayonetta (who was announced as doing extremely well in the Smash Ballot for North America and Europe - Japan was never mentioned). Even Cloud, at the time of his announcement, was assumed to be pandering to the western audience by some Japanese fans.
Duck Hunt (the game) was also much more popular in the west than Japan. There really hasn't been a Japanese centered pick since Lucas IMO. It's no coincidence that once FE:A blew up in the west that Sakurai added a lot of FE characters. I wish Sakurai would open the floodgates on some long forgotten Japanese Nintendo characters like Ayumi Tachibana, Prince Sable etc. People will complain because not every character is for them but whatever, they always do.

Though Sakurai did right by not listening to the Japanese fanbase by going with the more "western" pick in Cloud. Japan REALLY loves FFX for some reason and there's no way I could handle Tidus in Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Though Sakurai did right by not listening to the Japanese fanbase by going with the more "western" pick in Cloud. Japan REALLY loves FFX for some reason and there's no way I could handle Tidus in Smash Bros.
On one hand, I agree, but on the other...

I can't deny the hilarity of That Cursed Laugh as a taunt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom