• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

For FE reps, I'd keep Marth, Roy, Ike, and Robin. It's obvious to keep Marth, keep Roy and declone him, Ike because he's a heavy swordsman and he brought something new to the table, and keep Robin because she's a magic user and is pretty fun to use. She also brings some new stuff to the table. Trade in Lucina for Lyn and trade Chrom for Hector. Ditch Corrin entirely.

That is all.

D

Deleted member

As for me, I'd keep Marth, Lucina, Roy, and Ike, trade Chrom for Hector, trade Robin for Lyn, and cut Corrin.

But as for the only thing I would 100% do it's to cut Corrin.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
For me , in the best possible world , I would do this with the FE rep :

-:4marth::4myfriends: :4feroy:stay , no moveset change
-:4robinm::4robinf: stay , Make them use magic a bit more (like with throws) , remove Chrom from FS , put Morgan/Lissa/Frederik/Tharja instead
-:4corrin::4corrinf:stay , but make them use magic attack and healing magic , since their ehanced class can use it
-:ultchrom: stay , but make him use a lance for several attacks , since it's ehanced class can use it. :4lucina: is the echo (lighter , weaker damage output , but faster ground/air speed)
-Put Lyn in , she's overdue for Smash. Make her a quick and very fast swordman with some moves involving a bow. Give her a pretty weak damage output to compensate
-Put Hector in , we need an axe user
-Put Tiki in , we need a real dragon
-Put a pure mage/dark mage in , like Canas/Nino/Tharja , ect...
-Put a FE Villain in , like Black Knight

This is all assuming there is no limit for the number of playable fighters , and to represent best the franchise diversity , without cutting anyone.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I know people have their dislike for Corrin for even existing and love Roy for... nostalgia? But I don’t understand how you can realistically justify keeping Roy and cutting Corrin when faced with the FE problem.

Corrin’s way more unique and interesting on his own, and eliminating Roy and then by extension, Chrom, means that you cut a good amount of the issue people seem to have with the 4 Marths thing since then you’d just have Marth and Lucina, which works fine. Then you could go about adding another Fire Emblem character that doesn’t touch a sword or something a little more interesting like a thief or a Pegasus knight haha

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I know people have their dislike for Corrin for even existing and love Roy for... nostalgia? But I don’t understand how you can realistically justify keeping Roy and cutting Corrin when faced with the FE problem.

Corrin’s way more unique and interesting on his own, and eliminating Roy and then by extension, Chrom, means that you cut a good amount of the issue people seem to have with the 4 Marths thing since then you’d just have Marth and Lucina, which works fine. Then you could go about adding another Fire Emblem character that doesn’t touch a sword or something a little more interesting like a thief or a Pegasus knight haha
Because Smash is a crossover fighter. Any character can have a unique moveset, but not every character is beloved. Roy could theoretically be made unique (according to Sakurai, he already is!) but barring a remake there's not much that can be done to make Corrin beloved.

So if you can have a beloved, decloned character, or a unique but massively disliked one, you can see why most people will go for the former.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I'd cut a lot of FE characters, but frankly, I wouldn't cut Ike either. I'd keep Marth and Ike, maybe replace Robin with another mage of some kind, and leave it at that. That pretty much encompasses the FE rep in a far more succinct and manageable way, as well as cutting out echoes and clones. I'd maybe keep Roy because of his longevity, but that's about it.

Cut Roy and I'll cut you. I can't tell you how bummed out I was when he wasn't in Smash 4 and how ungodly happy I was when he was announced as DLC. Never been more happy to buy a character that used to be in the game. Seriously, when he came in and molly-whopped Roy Koopaling I ****ing died.

I loved playing Roy since Melee, even though Marth was the better character, I just fell in love with Roy. I fell in love with the character so much that when I did something awesome I would strike his pose and shout "EEEYAH!" because I thought that was so cool. I even got an emulator so I could play his game since it has never come to the West and probably never will, and when he came back in Smash 4 he was the only one I played for months because I loved his combo structure and his new swordbox. Grab, pummel, down throw, jab, down tilt and pursue with Neutral Air has never been more satisfying.

ROY'S OUR BOY! :ultroy:'S OUR :ultness:! rOy'S oUr BoY!

Last edited:

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Yo, something I asked the Banjo thread, what are your top 10 favourite games?

Mine:

1. Smash Ultimate
2. Mother 3
3. Legend of Zelda Majora’s Mask
4. Super Mario World
5. Sonic Mania
6. Super Mario Galaxy
7. Pikmin
8. Super Monkey Ball
9. Super Mario RPG
10. Donkey Kong Country

Necksuss

Smash Rookie

Mine:

1. Smash Ultimate
2. Mother 3
4. Super Mario World
5. Sonic Mania
6. Super Mario Galaxy
7. Pikmin
8. Super Monkey Ball
9. Super Mario RPG
10. Donkey Kong Country
0. Ssbu
1. Mother 3
2. Super mario rpg
3. Monster hunter generations ultimate
4. Flinthook
5. Binding of isaac rebirth
6. Halo: reach
7. Tmnt: turtles in time
8. Superfighters deluxe
9. Metroid fusion
10. Boxboy

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Mine:

1. Smash Ultimate
2. Mother 3
4. Super Mario World
5. Sonic Mania
6. Super Mario Galaxy
7. Pikmin
8. Super Monkey Ball
9. Super Mario RPG
10. Donkey Kong Country
1. Mother 3
2. Super Mario RPG
3. Smash Ultimate
4. LoZ; Majora's Mask
5. Banjo-Kazooie
6. Donkey Kong Country 2
7. Golden Sun
8. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
9. Mario Odyssey
10. LoZ: Breath of the Wild

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice

Mine:

1. Smash Ultimate
2. Mother 3
4. Super Mario World
5. Sonic Mania
6. Super Mario Galaxy
7. Pikmin
8. Super Monkey Ball
9. Super Mario RPG
10. Donkey Kong Country
1. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
2. Super Mario RPG
3. Kirby Superstar
4. Super Mario World
5. Legend of Zelda Majoras Mask
6. Final Fantasy IX
7. Final Fantasy VI
8. The Warriors series of games (hard to pick just one)
9. Guilty Gear XX
10. Diablo III

Honorable mentions

Overwatch
Megaman X
Tales of Vesperia
Banjo Kazooie
Earthbound
Mario Kart 64
Persona 3
Mario Party series
Tekken Tag Tournament
The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
Super Metroid
Undertale
Marvel vs Capcom 2

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Top 10 games ever ehh?
1. sonic Adventure 2
2. Metroid Prime
3. Fallout: New Vegas
4. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year door
5. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
6. Smash Ultimate
7. Smash Melee
8. Chrono Trigger
9. sonic 3 & Knuckles
10. Super Mario Sunshine
honorable mention s
donkey Kong Country 2 Diddy's Kong Quest
Kirby super Star Ultra
sonic CD
Super Mario Bros 3.
Super Mario RPG
Final Fantasy VII
Mega Man Zero
also Ideal FE chart IMO would be:
Roy, Lyn, Ike, Black Knight, Hector, Robin

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Not sure if I could properly pick a top ten games list (there's probably a ton of games that I've either forgotten about or just barely missed out on the list), but I'll give it a shot.

1. Banjo-Kazooie
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Bayonetta 2
4. Devil May Cry 5
5. Kirby Super Star
6. Psychonauts
7. Super Mario RPG
8. Team Fortress 2
9. Wario Land 2
10. Final Fantasy 6 (full disclosure: I'm still playing through FF7)

I'm not going to bother with honourable mentions, or else I'd be here all day typing them out. These are just the games that I have the fondest memories of, or ones that I've had the most fun playing.

Then again, I really need to sit down and play through games like Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, or Half Life 2 start to finish - I've seen a decent amount of those games, but it was out of order and years apart.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Not sure if I could properly pick a top ten games list (there's probably a ton of games that I've either forgotten about or just barely missed out on the list), but I'll give it a shot.

1. Banjo-Kazooie
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Bayonetta 2
4. Devil May Cry 5
5. Kirby Super Star
6. Psychonauts
7. Super Mario RPG
8. Team Fortress 2
9. Wario Land 2
10. Final Fantasy 6 (full disclosure: I'm still playing through FF7)

I'm not going to bother with honourable mentions, or else I'd be here all day typing them out. These are just the games that I have the fondest memories of, or ones that I've had the most fun playing.

Then again, I really need to sit down and play through games like Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, or Half Life 2 start to finish - I've seen a decent amount of those games, but it was out of order and years apart.
How can I report a post to the police?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
How can I report a post to the police?
If it's the not having played through Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time start to finish part, I'm planning to work on that when I have the free time - the problem is finding the free time. (I never owned Mario 64 as a kid, and in Ocarina of Time, I got stuck in the sand temple and had no idea how to progress)

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC

Mine:

1. Smash Ultimate
2. Mother 3
4. Super Mario World
5. Sonic Mania
6. Super Mario Galaxy
7. Pikmin
8. Super Monkey Ball
9. Super Mario RPG
10. Donkey Kong Country
We doing lists? Here's mine:

1. Bloodborne
2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
4. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
5. Super Mario Odyssey
6. Persona 5
7. Dark Souls
8. Nier: Automata
9. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
10. Super Mario 64

Honorable (in no order):

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Super Mario RPG
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Persona 3
Kirby Super Star
Final Fantasy VII
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Okami

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1. Earthbound
2. Spyro the Dragon PS1 Trilogy (don't ask me to choose one because I just can't. Trust me, I've tried and I love all 3 equally)
3. Final Fantasy VII
4. Banjo Kazooie
5. WWF No Mercy
6. Super Metroid
7. Zelda BotW
8. Pokemon Gold/Silver
9. Chrono Trigger
10. Red Dead Redemption

Honorable mentions include:
Zelda OoT, Earthworm Jim, Gex, TMNT Turtles in Time, Batman Arkham City and plenty more that I'm too lazy to type out.

I didn't add Mario RPG because truth is, it just isn't one of my favourites lol. Geno has been my number 1 hopeful for Smash since Brawl but truth is I don't really care much for the Mario games. The only ones I had fond memories of during my childhood were World, RPG, 64 and Sunshine but I didn't enjoy them nearly enough as the ones I mentioned above. As far as I'm concerned, Geno's the only cool thing to come out of that franchise imo and that's why I like him and support him. Odyssey, Galaxy, the original NES ones or any of the spinoffs I never gave the time of day.

D

Deleted member

Mine:

1. Smash Ultimate
2. Mother 3
4. Super Mario World
5. Sonic Mania
6. Super Mario Galaxy
7. Pikmin
8. Super Monkey Ball
9. Super Mario RPG
10. Donkey Kong Country
1. Mother 3
2. Super Mario RPG
3. Earthbound
4. Mother 1
5. Golden Sun
6. Paper Mario TTYD
7. Mario and Luigi Partners in Time
8. Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga
9. Super Mario Galaxy 2
10. Super Smash Bros Brawl

Edit: Actually, I decided to change Super Mario Odyssey to Smash Brawl.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I love these kind of top 10 questions.

1. Halo 3/Halo: Reach (Can't decide, so I'll put them both at #1)
2. Halo 2
3. Super Mario 64
4. Super Mario RPG
5. Final Fantasy VII
6. Paper Mario TTYD
7. Halo: CE
8. Super Smash Brothers (The whole series)
9. Super Mario Galaxy
10. Super Mario Sunshine

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

Mine:

1. Smash Ultimate
2. Mother 3
4. Super Mario World
5. Sonic Mania
6. Super Mario Galaxy
7. Pikmin
8. Super Monkey Ball
9. Super Mario RPG
10. Donkey Kong Country
That's a tricky question considering I haven't even fully decided on a concrete all-time favorite game, but if you asked me today, I'd probably say...

1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Team Fortress 2 (if it weren't for the myriad of weird bugs and lack of official support from the developers, it'd probably be my #1)
3. Xenoblade Chronicles
4. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (would easily be top 3 if it weren't for the godawful online infrastructure)
5. Kirby Air Ride (severely underrated gem IMO)
6. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
7. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (SSE carried this game super hard tbh)
8. Minecraft (I know the game's kind of a meme nowadays, but **** it, I had some good times with this game and I'm not afraid to admit it)
9. Super Smash Bros. Melee (I don't enjoy playing it much these days, but it was the game that introduced me to the world of Nintendo, so I kind of have to put it here)
10. Earthbound

Honorable mentions go to Super Mario Sunshine, Paper Mario TTYD and Super Paper Mario, and, of course, Super Mario RPG. They're all masterpieces in their own right and really special to me, but barely got edged out by the other games on the list.

Last edited:

BoyMan

Smash Cadet

Mine:

1. Smash Ultimate
2. Mother 3
4. Super Mario World
5. Sonic Mania
6. Super Mario Galaxy
7. Pikmin
8. Super Monkey Ball
9. Super Mario RPG
10. Donkey Kong Country
1. Fallout: New Vegas
2. TES IV: Oblivion
3. Super Smash Bros. Melee
4. Super Mario RPG
5. Team Fortress 2
6. TES V: Skyrim
7. Tales of Vesperia
8. The Binding of Isaac
9. Pokemon RSE
10. Heroes of Might and Magic III

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Because Smash is a crossover fighter. Any character can have a unique moveset, but not every character is beloved. Roy could theoretically be made unique (according to Sakurai, he already is!) but barring a remake there's not much that can be done to make Corrin beloved.

So if you can have a beloved, decloned character, or a unique but massively disliked one, you can see why most people will go for the former.
Corrin's really not hated or massively disliked. He is by the community for not being who they wanted at the time and from a game that wasn't Fire Emblem at its absolute best (A trait he arguably shares with Roy since I've heard that FE: The Binding Blade is also a similarly middle of the road title for the series from those who have played it). It's worth noting, however, that I've seen a lot of people really take to Corrin when they don't have the associations with him that most people do. Hell, one of my best friends in college that I play with absolutely took up Corrin as his main when he released just for his playstyle and moveset. That's anecdotal evidence of course, but I think it's emblematic of a divide between the fan base and people who just play the game, and even then I think several people have come around to accepting Corrin after time has passed. I also think that when you remove the context of his inclusion, he's much more well liked and the further removed we get from Corrin's initial announcement, the less the backlash will matter and the less hate he'll get. He may very well be in the same situation as Roy if he gets cut in the future of being a favorite just because he was in Smash and some people really liked him.

Most of Roy's beloved-ness again I'd argue just comes from nostalgia from the Melee days. He's just in a rough spot all around. His individual game isn't that important and has never been localized in the United States. He's still a semi-clone that worsens the overall Marth problem the FE characters have. And he's up against more unique fighters from his own series if you're looking to cut a character.

I understand why the fan base that gets so rabid over "fan demand" values him over Corrin, but I think it's a bit foolish to value a semi-clone over a fully original character when the characters aren't huge icons that just can't be cut. And this is coming from someone who tends to prefer playing as most of the semi-clones: Young Link, Wolf, Lucas, Pichu, Dr. Mario, and Roy himself I all prefer playing to their original counterparts. That said, if push comes to shove about cutting characters in the future (A reality I detest and will fully push against for as long as I can to be clear), I think it makes sense to generally put the semi-clones on the chopping block first regardless of how beloved many of them are. The unique fighters bring more variety in terms of gameplay overall though.

I don't imagine that's a popular stance, but yeah, to me I'd rather see the unique movesets of Piranha Plant, Corrin, Incineroar, etc. retained rather than satisfying my own personal attachment to most of those semi-clones. Again, that's where I'd start cutting if I absolutely, absolutely with no way around it, had to start cutting characters from Smash.

Cut Roy and I'll cut you. I can't tell you how bummed out I was when he wasn't in Smash 4 and how ungodly happy I was when he was announced as DLC. Never been more happy to buy a character that used to be in the game. Seriously, when he came in and molly-whopped Roy Koopaling I ****ing died.

I loved playing Roy since Melee, even though Marth was the better character, I just fell in love with Roy. I fell in love with the character so much that when I did something awesome I would strike his pose and shout "EEEYAH!" because I thought that was so cool. I even got an emulator so I could play his game since it has never come to the West and probably never will, and when he came back in Smash 4 he was the only one I played for months because I loved his combo structure and his new swordbox. Grab, pummel, down throw, jab, down tilt and pursue with Neutral Air has never been more satisfying.

ROY'S OUR BOY! :ultroy:'S OUR :ultness:! rOy'S oUr BoY!
And again, to be clear, I actually really quite love what they've done in terms of making Roy a more unique character. I much prefer playing him to Marth right now (Some of that IS Marth's current place in the meta, but I also just prefer his rushdown style). I hate the idea of cutting Roy or anyone else with the most fiery of passions and will always advocate for as much roster retention as possible, even if that would mean just updating Ultimate every cycle from here on out.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Corrin's really not hated or massively disliked.
You said that you didn't understand why people want Corrin to be cut. What other explanation is there, if he isn't hated?

Of course there's going to be people who like him, that's bound to happen, but it would appear that both the Smash fandom and Fire Emblem fandom at large see him as, at best, disposable, at worst as emblematic of things despised.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
You said that you didn't understand why people want Corrin to be cut. What other explanation is there, if he isn't hated?

Of course there's going to be people who like him, that's bound to happen, but it would appear that both the Smash fandom and Fire Emblem fandom at large see him as, at best, disposable, at worst as emblematic of things despised.
I was more specifically referring to the idea of cutting them before Roy that I didn’t understand, which again comes down to how people value characters against one another. I understand why some people want him cut or gone, but I don’t see how you really end up justifying cutting them due to their unique characteristics and current move style over Roy. Again, I see why you would do it, but really justifying it beyond “I like Roy better” feels a little tough to me.

And it’s really a difference in a sense of priority though. And I’ll defend the most hated characters always for being unique. A unique move set brings more variety to gameplay overall, and that’s definitely a good thing.

Again, I’ll emphasize that Corrin represents one of the largest disconnects I personally see between the fan base that more constantly speculates and people who just play the game.

The same ideas against Corrin can also be turned around against Roy as well. He’s similarly seen as expendable by several people on forums I’ve encountered and certainly as much by the FE communities I’ve interacted with. They’re really not all that dissimilar at the end of the day in those regards. Roy was just lucky to come at a time when FE was new to the series and during an era when all of the Smash nostalgia was really made. He’s just as representative of those issues as Corrin, just with a less overall unique move set and earlier. And while he was heavily desired to come back, all cut characters have had strong demand to come back from what we’ve seen. People don’t really enjoy cuts of any kind.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I was more specifically referring to the idea of cutting them before Roy that I didn’t understand, which again comes down to how people value characters against one another. I understand why some people want him cut or gone, but I don’t see how you really end up justifying cutting them due to their unique characteristics and current move style over Roy. Again, I see why you would do it, but really justifying it beyond “I like Roy better” feels a little tough to me.

And it’s really a difference in a sense of priority though. And I’ll defend the most hated characters always for being unique. A unique move set brings more variety to gameplay overall, and that’s definitely a good thing.

Again, I’ll emphasize that Corrin represents one of the largest disconnects I personally see between the fan base that more constantly speculates and people who just play the game.

The same ideas against Corrin can also be turned around against Roy as well. He’s similarly seen as expendable by several people on forums I’ve encountered and certainly as much by the FE communities I’ve interacted with. They’re really not all that dissimilar at the end of the day in those regards. Roy was just lucky to come at a time when FE was new to the series and during an era when all of the Smash nostalgia was really made. He’s just as representative of those issues as Corrin, just with a less overall unique move set and earlier. And while he was heavily desired to come back, all cut characters have had strong demand to come back from what we’ve seen. People don’t really enjoy cuts of any kind.
I disagree that people just hate cuts of any kind. There were cut characters that nobody cared about before their return, and there are characters I don't think most would miss if cut.

I also disagree with unique moveset being more important than the character itself. That's how you land at the MvC Infinite mentality of 'characters are just functions'. In a game like Smash, people care about seeing their favorite characters duke it out. How they play isn't anecdotal, but it's clear to me that for most people it's secondary.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I disagree that people just hate cuts of any kind. There were cut characters that nobody cared about before their return, and there are characters I don't think most would miss if cut.

I also disagree with unique moveset being more important than the character itself. That's how you land at the MvC Infinite mentality of 'characters are just functions'. In a game like Smash, people care about seeing their favorite characters duke it out. How they play isn't anecdotal, but it's clear to me that for most people it's secondary.
Every cut character has had pretty vocal outcry for their return. Snake, Wolf, Ice Climbers, Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy dominated fan requests for characters while absent. Pichu shows up further down certain lists, as does Young Link despite having a decent replacement in Toon Link. Only Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Dr. Mario have had more limited calls for a return while absent. Squirtle and Ivysaur were in a bit of a weird place since some people called for Pokémon Trainer to just outright return while others called for their separation so they get a bit more hairy to deal with. But again, Sakurai specifically highlighted Everyone is Here around fan demands to not see cuts and see cut characters return. Cut characters have a tendency to remain quite popular with fans. I mean just look at how many people rage against the ideas of cuts in general, or specific ones. It leads to some of the more heated arguments and tends to be pretty unpopular overall, except with people who tend to be more dissatisfied with the current roster and perceive their changes as inherently better.

There’s a big difference in say the X-men being absent from MvC Infinite for example than a good portion of Smash’s roster. You have to represent your biggest IPs in some fashion, which is where that game failed in places. I’m not saying we cut the characters that will be in every Smash game til the end of time like Luigi or Ganondorf whose move sets have been based on others. Those have to stay because their essential to the Nintendo brand.

It’s one you start moving away from those essential characters that I think you start prioritizing movesets and unique qualities. Every character is someone’s favorite like we’ve established. You’re going to disappoint some people when characters don’t make it back on the roster. I think it’s best to handle that situation by then looking at what the character brings to the game in terms of gameplay. Especially when the semi-clones have been traditionally some of the more criticized elements of Smash in the past as “fat that needs to be trimmed.” I’ve fought hard against that point since I’m against cuts in general, but I do think it has more merit than I, and a lot of people, would like to admit when it comes to them.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
the reason we want cordon gone is because it was just a lame cash in. while some may say the same for Roy, at least Roy has personality. Corrin is worse IMO because it is just a blank slate. No personality. I would rather have a semi-clone with personality and character then a unique with no character or personality. Also I thought that Roy's game was considered to be one of the better Fire Emblem games?

osby

Smash Obsessed
the reason we want cordon gone is because it was just a lame cash in.
I don't see why it's a problem now that it's been years since their addition. Roy and Corrin aren't even the only characters that decided before their game is released.

while some may say the same for Roy, at least Roy has personality. Corrin is worse IMO because it is just a blank slate. No personality.
This is simply incorrect. Avatar characters also can have personalities, just look at Ness, Villager or Link. Corrin is characterized as a person whose determined but burdened with hard decisions in their Guidance, voice lines, tips and classic mode.

Also I thought that Roy's game was considered to be one of the better Fire Emblem games?
No, it's largely considered a decent one at best. Fates's reception was a lot more mixed but it also sold a lot better.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Corrin is just a lame addition. and also, the characters you mentioned (in particular Villager) don't real!y have a personality. and I don't get why everyone loves Blazing Blade and then say that Binding Blade is gold, but not great? Aren't they like, the same game?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Corrin is just a lame addition. and also, the characters you mentioned (in particular Villager) don't real!y have a personality. and I don't get why everyone loves Blazing Blade and then say that Binding Blade is gold, but not great? Aren't they like, the same game?
No, Blazing Blade is a prequel to Binding Blade.

Also this conversion gone very off-topic, so it's better if conclude it here.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I hate Corrin because we finally got a Fire Emblem character who turns into a dragon... and that character was Corrin.

Also Fates smells, the Tellius games were better.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I can never get behind the personality argument given how little that actually affects the gameplay (plus, y'know, Smash isn't exactly a narratively-driven series), but I don't think Corrin was a great choice by any conditions other than that of advertising - which explains the inclusion.

Sure the character has found their fans, but the same could and would be true of any addition. Basically I feel like the positives Corrin has consumer-wise (aka not for Nintendo) are rather mundane and lacking specificity. Things like uniqueness and finding favour with some contingent of the fanbase by result of simply existing on the roster aren't exactly rare nor are super laudable traits. It's not like the pool for potential uniqueness is running dry. Meanwhile on the other hand I feel like a different addition could've served groups less catered to previously than the FE bunch. It's like giving a raise to someone who just got one. They may be a good worker, but there are others out there too.

And it's true that the general consumer may not harbour the same hostility the more dedicated fan has towards Corrin. But it's not like they compensate for the backlash, their ambivalence is more a net neutral than anything. Had Corrin not been playable I'm sure minimal tears would've been shed. Of course I'm generalizing, but for every casual that picks up Corrin I'm aware (anecdotally) of people who ask "why are there so many Fire Emblem characters? I barely even know what that series is". On my end, the majority of people I play with have never played a Fire Emblem game before, and the overabundance of that series is starting to stick out to them.

I'm not suggesting the character be axed, nor am I criticizing the way they were implemented, I just feel like more could've been gained with an addition other than Corrin. And I get why Nintendo would opt for such a character, but for the sake of the fans, additions that don't serve to draw a new series into the fray, or satiate a longstanding fanbase, or add a well-known character, or expand an overlooked series, they just seem an inferior alternative. They seem a missed opportunity. To me at least.

A different character could exist more than just to exist.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229

Mine:

1. Smash Ultimate
2. Mother 3
4. Super Mario World
5. Sonic Mania
6. Super Mario Galaxy
7. Pikmin
8. Super Monkey Ball
9. Super Mario RPG
10. Donkey Kong Country
Oh , that's a bit hard to choose...

0.The Pikmin Franchise
1.The Mario & Luigi Franchise/ Super Mario RPG
2.The Legend of Dark Witch Episode 3 : Wisdom and Lunacy
3.Sonic Heroes
4.Chibi-Robo : Plug Into Adventure
5.Klonoa Wii
6.Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3
7.Fire Emblem Awakening
8.Mario Strikers Football
9.Klonoa 2 : Lunatea's Veil (If only my copy could save , I did the whole damn game in one sitting...)
10.Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg
(Yeah there is 11 games , I cheated , I know.)
(I FORGOT RAYMAN 3 , I'M DUMB)

Also , my 2 cents about Corrin :

The main reason people hated him/her was not only because it was yet another FE Swordman... It was because they were added at a time when they asked us who we wanted in Smash.
(Corrin didn't had a fanbase wich he could get votes from , since it's game wasn't released yet. Heck , didn't we only knew about it's japanese name , "Kamui"?)
It didn't helped that the "winner of the ballot" wasn't really the winner (It wasn't Bayonetta , it was King K. Rool) and that she destroyed Sm4sh metagame. Pre-Patch Bayo was ban worthy , and patched Bayo , while more manageable... Was really on the edge of ban worthy.

That's why so many people hated Corrin and still do. Not counting the fact that Corrin's pin in Sm4sh was... Uh , silly , to say the least.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Top 10 Favorite Games? Well, I suppose I can name mine.
1. Crash Bandicoot Warped
2. Super Mario Odyssey
3. Crash Team Racing
4. Wario Land 4
5. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
6. Wario World
7. Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
8. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
9. New Super Mario Bros (DS)
10. Pokemon Black and White

Honorable Mentions:
Luigi's Mansion 1 and 2
Super Mario World
Mario and Luigi Bowser's Inside Story
Metroid: Samus Returns
Shantae: Risky's Revenge
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
Super Metroid
Mario Kart DS
Donkey Kong Country
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Crash Bandicoot 2: N-Tranced
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back

Dang, I need to play more games

Last edited by a moderator:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Something I thought about this morning is how odd it is that Chrom's, Inkling's, K. Rool's, and Isabelle's Mii costumes, ones given very little fanfare, were upgraded to playable characters... yet the Geno Mii costume, the one with an insane amount of fanfare and a splash screen, has not been upgraded at all.

Hm.

Don't give up hope.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Something I thought about this morning is how odd it is that Chrom's, Inkling's, K. Rool's, and Isabelle's Mii costumes, ones given very little fanfare, were upgraded to playable characters... yet the Geno Mii costume, the one with an insane amount of fanfare and a splash screen, has not been upgraded at all.

Hm.

Don't give up hope.
Aren't they all Nintendo owned characters?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Aren't they all Nintendo owned characters?
They are, yeah, very true. Still, something about it seems weird to me, the fact that Sm4sh gave Geno's costume so much attention and love, yet Smash Ultimate kinda just slipped the spirit in under the radar. On top of that, months after release, we still don't even know if that costume that received all that fanfare is getting re-released. They have the rights to Geno to at least some extent, so... it's just a little weird to me.

ETA: He's a third party so I dunno why I even find this weird right now. I just woke up. Please tell me to never post when I'm fresh out of bed because nothing makes sense. :dr-_-:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom