• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
You know, I saw this brought up in the general, but what if for Geno they di the same sort of reveal as K.Rool and Banjo, except the pretender is a Mii gunner.
They could even redo the Piranha Plant trailer but have Geno blow him the **** away, which is an idea xpnc xpnc mentioned to me on skype

Ovaltine

Smash Master
You know, I saw this brought up in the general, but what if for Geno they di the same sort of reveal as K.Rool and Banjo, except the pretender is a Mii gunner.
Actually, I have to refer back to Joker stealing invitations, too. I didn't give it much thought beyond jokes, but considering they continued the K. Rool story with B-K, maybe we'll see who he stole his invitation from, after all... and what if it's Geno?

MattX20

Smash Hero
I've been thinking about the Grant Kirkhope interview about music for a while, and was trying to come up with franchises with noteworthy memorable music. As far as 3rd parties go, the biggest ones I could think of for music would be Crash, Doom, Ninja Gaiden, Xenosaga, and Professor Layton. Xenosaga because if the Xenoblade Chronicles characters are out, and presumably Tekken as well if the moveset would be too complicated to translate into Smash, then the only other potential second rep for Bandai Namco they could realistically use are KOS-MOS, Agumon from Digimon, or Lloyd or a rep for the Tales series.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I've been thinking about the Grant Kirkhope interview about music for a while, and was trying to come up with franchises with noteworthy memorable music. As far as 3rd parties go, the biggest ones I could think of for music would be Crash, Doom, Ninja Gaiden, Xenosaga, and Professor Layton. Xenosaga because if the Xenoblade Chronicles characters are out, and presumably Tekken as well if the moveset would be too complicated to translate into Smash, then the only other potential second rep for Bandai Namco they could realistically use are KOS-MOS, Agumon from Digimon, or Lloyd or a rep for the Tales series.
Don't forget Halo.

And at least for me and Zelda Classic creators, Quest 64.

You can include Super Mario RPG here too, as it's its own set of music, with 3rd party-related factors, I guess?

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Does anyone know have an idea of how well The Hero did in the Smash Ballot?

I have a theory on what Sakurai is doing for the selection.

1) His own pick. (Joker)
2) Japanese Ballot pick. (The Hero)
3) Western Ballot pick. (Banjo-Kazooie)
4) The next Ballot pick. (Bandanna Waddle Dee)
5) The Ballot pick after that. (Geno)

If the selection Nintendo gave him was a list compiled from the Smash Ballot plus a few others, than this might be what our complete Fighter's Pass could look like. Any thoughts?

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
They could even redo the Piranha Plant trailer but have Geno blow him the **** away, which is an idea xpnc xpnc mentioned to me on skype
Yeah it doesn't even need to be CG. It could be 100% gameplay and I wouldn't even care

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Does anyone know have an idea of how well The Hero did in the Smash Ballot?

I have a theory on what Sakurai is doing for the selection.

1) His own pick. (Joker)
2) Japanese Ballot pick. (The Hero)
3) Western Ballot pick. (Banjo-Kazooie)
4) The next Ballot pick. (Bandanna Waddle Dee)
5) The Ballot pick after that. (Geno)

If the selection Nintendo gave him was a list compiled from the Smash Ballot plus a few others, than this might be what our complete Fighter's Pass could look like. Any thoughts?
Hero(there is no The, that's a misunderstanding from the trailer. Check the website, it's a single word) is hard to say. We saw a Japanese poll that had "who you expected", and he scored reasonably high, along with Banjo & Kazooie(again, this is the character name. Banjo-Kazooie is the series name).

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
As much as I'd have preferred Geno personally, they absolutely nailed the DQ rep imo. Having Erdrick and Eight as alts, and having spells really made me interested, and I've still yet to play a DQ game in my life.

Not gonna lie, it saddened me to see many people immediately salty and ranting after the 'Hero' reveal. And while Banjo's reveal absolutely trumped it by a mile and boosted the positive reception for most viewers, I do wish the Smash fanbase was less entitled and selfish sometimes.

The fact that Banjo and K. Rool have made their return in this game is a ****ing miracle. 'Hero' suggests that Square might not be so difficult and Banjo suggests that not all reps have to be relevant or shilling something. Both of these reveals are good news for Geno. With DQ now represented, there is less competition should a third Square rep arise.

Stay strong Genobros and Genogals. We might see Geno as a fighter. It would be a miracle, but Sakurai has already made some miracles in this game.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The Hero probably did pretty well in the ballot because it's literally the main hero of 11 games rolled into one plus Slime. He's pretty much Dragon Quest: the Character ™. Based on how people talk, "Eight" was probably the most voted for DQ Hero globally but I doubt the numbers were that impressive outside of Japan but, with all the Heroes and Slime combined, the numbers were probably decent.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Not gonna lie, it saddened me to see many people immediately salty and ranting after the 'Hero' reveal. And while Banjo's reveal absolutely trumped it by a mile and boosted the positive reception for most viewers, I do wish the Smash fanbase was less entitled and selfish sometimes.
I paid for the fighter's pass and 2/3 of the characters shown thus far have been wasted slots as far as I'm concerned

My and everyone else's dissatisfaction is just as valid as your passive acceptance. It's not entitled when you think a product you've paid for is lacking in some way. That's my right as a consumer and a customer and I will vote with my wallet in the future and straight up not purchase the characters I don't like.

You don't get to tell me this is entitled or selfish. Nintendo isn't entitled to my money if I think the characters they pick are dumb.

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
So we're pretty much in the dark for the remaining DLC at the moment. Which remaining characters does everyone think has a good shot to get into the fighters pass?

I'm still hopeful for Geno because I can't really think of any leftover characters that fans have been asking for more than him. Also that first Polar info that there were rumors of Geno talk at Nintendo.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
I paid for the fighter's pass and 2/3 of the characters shown thus far have been wasted slots as far as I'm concerned

My and everyone else's dissatisfaction is just as valid as your passive acceptance. It's not entitled when you think a product you've paid for is lacking in some way. That's my right as a consumer and a customer and I will vote with my wallet in the future and straight up not purchase the characters I don't like.

You don't get to tell me this is entitled or selfish. Nintendo isn't entitled to my money if I think the characters they pick are dumb.
Of course you're welcome to be unimpressed. That was my reaction to Corrin in Smash 4. But to ***** and lash out to other fanbases is toxic, unproductive behaviour.

By all means vote with your wallet and I wish you luck with the remaining two slots. Ultimately though, that's the gamble of buying a fighter pass before all characters have been revealed.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
So we're pretty much in the dark for the remaining DLC at the moment. Which remaining characters does everyone think has a good shot to get into the fighters pass?

I'm still hopeful for Geno because I can't really think of any leftover characters that fans have been asking for more than him. Also that first Polar info that there were rumors of Geno talk at Nintendo.
Pretty much. Meanwhile I'm over in the Banjo discord helping the Banjobros write their thank-you letter.

Here's to hoping at the end of summer, we'll get to make such plans too!

I genuinely can't think of anybody else we really *need* for DLC other than Geno, honestly. Maybe we'll get another Capcom or Namco rep.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

Right now? I'm thinking Doomguy, A Resident Evil Rep, an indie like sans, Shantae or Quote, Lloyd Irving, Crash or even Geno! Personally; Doomguy and Geno/Shantae would be my pick.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Rule of thumb; the second you pay for the fighter's pass is the second you directly say "I want everything in here."

It's very important you be patient next times similar situations come up.

Also, don't bash characters or their fanbases. We do warn and infract for that. That's flame/troll bait and against the rules.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
As much as I'd have preferred Geno personally, they absolutely nailed the DQ rep imo. Having Erdrick and Eight as alts, and having spells really made me interested, and I've still yet to play a DQ game in my life.

The fact that Banjo and K. Rool have made their return in this game is a ****ing miracle. 'Hero' suggests that Square might not be so difficult and Banjo suggests that not all reps have to be relevant or shilling something. Both of these reveals are good news for Geno. With DQ now represented, there is less competition should a third Square rep arise.

Stay strong Genobros and Genogals. We might see Geno as a fighter. It would be a miracle, but Sakurai has already made some miracles in this game.
You know dang well that in a month when The Hero release they're releasing Geno's Mii Costume. There ain't going to be three Square Enix characters, all we're getting in that Spirit and Mii Costume.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
When people talk about this and that, I think people put too much value into things.

"They won't add another Square character."
"Why not?"
"It wouldn't be fair to the other third parties."

I don't think they care as much as people think. SEGA had three Amiibo for Smash 4 and is getting yet another one. Konami has three brand new ones in this game. There's winners and losers across the spectrum and representation is hardly equal. Dragon Quest has several stakeholders and is already getting significantly more content than Final Fantasy, Square's flagship franchise. I think Nintendo's train of thought is getting what they want and compensating people appropriately but not totally equally. I don't think Sakurai sits at a conference table while wearing reading bifocals in the dead of night while mashing away at calculator with paper rolls unfurling on the floor, constantly checking his numbers to make sure it's split evenly across god knows how many second and third parties are involved now.

D

Deleted member

Now that I got Eight in, I will root for Crash and hope to see Geno back on any media.

Hopefully a surprise newcomer for Smash.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
You know dang well that in a month when The Hero release they're releasing Geno's Mii Costume. There ain't going to be three Square Enix characters, all we're getting in that Spirit and Mii Costume.
I have given up hope for Geno in Ultimate myself (albeit not for his return in general, as for that, I'm much more positive), but come on. The constant naysaying and complaining is getting rather irritating. You've made your stance quite clear, and any further attempts at beating the dead horse is just unnecessary.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
I bought the fighter pass to support development of DLC. I'll always welcome more fighters, music and stages and would be thrilled if another season came to fruition.

Capcom, Sega and Konami all have 3 reps so far. Square now has 2. I don't expect it remotely, but it's possible and I certainly hope it happens. Time will tell ey.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
When people talk about this and that, I think people put too much value into things.

"They won't add another Square character."
"Why not?"
"It wouldn't be fair to the other third parties."

I don't think they care as much as people think. SEGA had three Amiibo for Smash 4 and is getting yet another one. Konami has three brand new ones in this game. There's winners and losers across the spectrum and representation is hardly equal. Dragon Quest has several stakeholders and is already getting significantly more content than Final Fantasy, Square's flagship franchise. I think Nintendo's train of thought is getting what they want and compensating people appropriately but not totally equally. I don't think Sakurai sits at a conference table while wearing reading bifocals in the dead of night while mashing away at calculator with paper rolls unfurling on the floor, constantly checking his numbers to make sure it's split evenly across god knows how many second and third parties are involved now.
I'm not gonna lie, my hopes are pretty low, unless we get a second pass. However, I do feel like there's a little window for Geno. I feel like it's really the only way to break expectations after Banjo.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I bought the fighter pass to support development of DLC. I'll always welcome more fighters, music and stages and would be thrilled if another season came to fruition.

Capcom, Sega and Konami all have 3 reps so far. Square now has 2. I don't expect it remotely, but it's possible and I certainly hope it happens. Time will tell ey.
I totally agree with this post. Regardless of whether or not I like the characters, I bought the fighter's Pass to show my support and because I have the utmost confidence that whatever they make is golden. I didn't want Erdrick because I was sick of hearing about it, but seeing the face of Hero being Luminary (with Eight as my preferred choice of DQ character), I'm actually A-OK with what we're getting, especially because of how the Hero plays.

And also the number of reps per company does allow for one more to Square, which could easily be Geno. (Sorry Bandai Namco, hopefully you don't care)

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Good think Geno is a Mario character then.

To compare him to the likes of Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy was ludicrous on our end.

Sure maybe ownership wise they are one in the same, but Sakurai can pick whoever he wants in his game. Banjo and Joker proves nothing is stopping him from doing what he wants. He could easily just be a mii costume but what says he is obligated to picking an X amount of characters per company? If he likes a character, he will put them in.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I honestly just bought the Fighter's Pass because I don't want to have to go through the chaotic mess that was Joker's initial release on the E-Shop all over again.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Nobody knows Geno's fate at this time. For all we know, he's just a Spirit and that's it.

Or he's a costume. Or he's playable. Who knows.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Rule of thumb; the second you pay for the fighter's pass is the second you directly say "I want everything in here."

It's very important you be patient next times similar situations come up.

Also, don't bash characters or their fanbases. We do warn and infract for that. That's flame/troll bait and against the rules.
Are you saying that you'd give me a warning or infraction for saying the unironic Spongebob and Shrek fanbases are delusional or for saying Reggie/Iwata/Sakurai would be stupid characters?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Are you saying that you'd give me a warn or infraction for saying the unironic Spongebob and Shrek fanbases are delusional or for saying Reggie/Iwata/Sakurai would be stupid characters?
Damn straight we will.

Intentionally posting to rile up fanbases can and will get you infracted.

So don't do it.

May be best you ask stuff like this in PM's, though. But yes, yes we will. We want people to treat other fanbases with respect and not create bait to aggravate others. We don't want the drama. My suggestion is keep in check and be respectful.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Nobody knows Geno's fate at this time. For all we know, he's just a Spirit and that's it.

Plot twist: all of the above.

There are still some loose plot threads lying about: Geno's costume, that gun model from Sakurai, the NA Nintendo Geno murmurs, the Square leakbait. Hopefully all tie to a playable end result.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord

Was somebody claiming to know his fate or are you trying to say we shouldn't speculate in a speculation thread?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Was somebody claiming to know his fate or are you trying to say we shouldn't speculate in a speculation thread?
If you read back, people are rather certain that he is dead in the water, which I understand. With that said, though, it's being beat in like a dead horse over and over and over. At risk of coming off like I'm trying to attack people for excessive complaints, I'm gonna just leave it at that. I don't mean to attack, but to say that it really contributes nothing.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
If you read back, people are rather certain that he is dead in the water, which I understand. With that said, though, it's being beat in like a dead horse over and over and over. At risk of coming off like I'm trying to attack people for excessive complaints, I'm gonna just leave it at that. I don't mean to attack, but to say that it really contributes nothing.
If there's anything smash speculation has taught me, it's that no one is ever truly dead in the water

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I am leaning on Geno being a bonus character. And not part of the fighter pass. I am thinking the last two characters are from Bethesda and Valve. Since we know that Bethesda said they have talked to Nintendo about Smash on top of their heavy support for the switch. And then there are those rumors going around that Nintendo wanted an exclusive half life game but the negotiations fail through. I believe Nintendo wanted more then that and might have got it.

I know two more western characters is HIGHLY unlikely. But I am just going off what we know and the idea that Sakurai is trying to make smash a game where many companies are taking part in it as possible.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I am leaning on Geno being a bonus character. And not part of the fighter pass. I am thinking the last two characters are from Bethesda and Valve. Since we know that Bethesda said they have talked to Nintendo about smash brothers. And those rumors going around that Nintendo wanted an exclusive half life game. But I think they wanted more then that.
My money is on Crash getting in, tbh.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
If there's anything smash speculation has taught me, it's that no one is ever truly dead in the water
This, and also Smash fans are pretty bad at predicting the roster.

Rex, Decidueye and Ashley being locks?
Bayo being too sexy for Smash?
K Rool being too irrelevant?

Not getting a 3rd Square rep...? ;)

D

Deleted member

Also worth to note that we are less than 10 pages left of getting 1000 of them.

Honestly, I'll be surprised if Crash doesn't make it. I think people are really sleeping on him.

Banjo, Eight/DQ heroes, AND Crash? My man, you'd be totally spoiled!
Basically!

Last edited by a moderator:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
At the very least, we aren't getting any character downloads before the Banjero due to the numbering system (only echoes can be added before them). They can announce another character, but they probably won't release them until after the other two.

Are they planning on the FP characters being in numeric order and no side DLC, if planned, will come between them? Who knows. I hope if there is more DLC that they don't wait until after character 5 to announce them.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Honestly, I'll be surprised if Crash doesn't make it. I think people are really sleeping on him.

Banjo, Eight/DQ heroes, AND Crash? My man, you'd be totally spoiled!
My only problem with Crash is that he is owned by Activision. And I don’t like Activision as a company. Mostly because of their practices and what they did to Blizzard. I would prefer them not get the smash exposure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom