• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
I for one would take 5 Erdricks over a Sora. I make no qualms about despising him.

Sadly I feel like he has a good chance. The whole valor form, Sakurai and Nomura being bros... I just find him my worst nightmare. I dont want his fans to be encouraged, they already are insufferable from the ones I've encountered.

I have a recurring nightmare about Sora beating out Geno, and I cry inside. Kingdom Hearts is highly overrated to me. Its convuluted and edgy for the sake of edge plot doesnt help.

At the prospect of Sora, I'll gladly dodge the bullet and take Erdrick if my precious star boi must be barred once again painfully from entry. Erdrick is the least of our problems for Geno's inclusion with Hot Topic brown haired Cloud waiting in the wings. Just my two cents. Everyone I know aside from two of my friends obsess over Sora and are completely against Geno. So sorry for the vent :'D
Funny that I'm the total opposite of this opinion. Have you ever actually played the Kingdom Hearts games? Sora is freaking awesome and his new key blade transformations could make him very different from the more generic swordies. Erdrick, on the other hand is a complete turn off for me. Granted, I don't know what he's capable of so I can't imagine what his moveset would be, but I swear if he's nothing but a Mii Swordfighter with a wannabe Dragon Ball skin, I'm probably not going to bother buying him. That's just me. Any newcomers with a sword need to be really interesting and unique for me to care.

Last edited:

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
I'm still holding out for two Square reps, just like I'm holding out for two fighter passes. Eternally optimistic here, and whenever I'm in doubt I just remember that Geno's mii costume got a splash screen... here's hoping!

D

Deleted member

Oh please, we know the whole world hates Piranha Plant! I sure do! Stupid Plant and its cute... cute little feeties, doing a wiggle around... watering Pikmin... trying its hardest... eternally giving the most winning smile...

Oh, who am I kidding, Plant is perfection in pure chlorophyll form.
It's just too bad that the plant gang died after the plant caught a disease called "low tier garbage"

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
I believe Dragon Quest deserves a spot in Smash not just as to represent Square Enix but to represent Nintendo's history as well however I also believe DLC picks are better to be from worldwide icons. So personally I think Chrono should be in for this fighter pass than Erdrick. But I also can understand as Japanese myself it's kind of rude to go ask Horii and Toriyama for Chrono before DQ. Even if Chrono ends up getting the SE slot, I just can not see Sakurai and Nintendo ignoring DQ just because of the west.

With that said, I have to say the argument nothing going for DQ or Erdrick other than the leaks is not true.
What's so shocking about DQXI was that SE finally decided to make the official prequel of the Erdrick series. The Erdrick lore was kind of an untouchable thing since it really is a legend. But they concluded the series (for now) and now new Erdricks are showing up in DQB and DQB2, the things are moving a lot more than used to be. It's kinda crazy tbh.
But that's just a minor thing from DQ lore. What's really you are missing is all the suspicious talks from DQ developers.
Why did they mentioned smash in SE sponsored programs? Celebrating smash release the game nothing to do with them? Outright suggesting DQ fans to play smash? Sakurai immediately retweeting DQ staff right after Joker's reveal? And they now saying in every occasion that they want more attentions from overseas?
I know that they are all Japan things, just mere coincidences like the Grinch leak back then and looking into nothing too much. But if Geno can bring up all the SMRPG references from NoA (which never happened in Japan) then why can't Erdrick do the same. I think that's not just fair.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I can only think up Chrom and Richter. Maybe Isabelle or Joker too, if you stretch it. This game's newcomers felt was fairly western focused for the most part.
I don't know, Chrom was a pretty big meme in the west. Richter could count, though it almost seems like a case of him wanting the character to be more acknowledged in the west rather than outright eastern popularity. Isabelle was already fairly popular in the west and I feel Joker is too much a stretch, especially with the popularity he was already gaining from P5.
Ultimate is a game where a lot of patterns are being broken. Patterns just don't mean anything anymore. Joker is a pretty obvious display of that. I think the only rule we can even be solid about anymore is, "No non-video game characters." That's about it.
Sure, but it has been a thing before. Marth was a heavy Japanese request and both him and Roy were going to be Japanese bonuses before play testers grew very attached to them. Correct me if I am wrong, but I recall that being the case.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Sure, but it has been a thing before. Marth was a heavy Japanese request and both him and Roy were going to be Japanese bonuses before play testers grew very attached to them. Correct me if I am wrong, but I recall that being the case.
That is true, but they were base game characters, a different beast entirely from DLC. These are characters we're paying for a la carte or as part of a pack. The only other case we have is Lucas, whom Sakurai would have cut if he knew Mother 3 wasn't going to be localized.

In the end, though, patterns aren't everything. We could still easily get Erdrick or just as easily not get him.

I believe Dragon Quest deserves a spot in Smash not just as to represent Square Enix but to represent Nintendo's history as well however I also believe DLC picks are better to be from worldwide icons. So personally I think Chrono should be in for this fighter pass than Erdrick. But I also can understand as Japanese myself it's kind of rude to go ask Horii and Toriyama for Chrono before DQ. Even if Chrono ends up getting the SE slot, I just can not see Sakurai and Nintendo ignoring DQ just because of the west.

With that said, I have to say the argument nothing going for DQ or Erdrick other than the leaks is not true.
What's so shocking about DQXI was that SE finally decided to make the official prequel of the Erdrick series. The Erdrick lore was kind of an untouchable thing since it really is a legend. But they concluded the series (for now) and now new Erdricks are showing up in DQB and DQB2, the things are moving a lot more than used to be. It's kinda crazy tbh.
But that's just a minor thing from DQ lore. What's really you are missing is all the suspicious talks from DQ developers.
Why did they mentioned smash in SE sponsored programs? Celebrating smash release the game nothing to do with them? Outright suggesting DQ fans to play smash? Sakurai immediately retweeting DQ staff right after Joker's reveal? And they now saying in every occasion that they want more attentions from overseas?
I know that they are all Japan things, just mere coincidences like the Grinch leak back then and looking into nothing too much. But if Geno can bring up all the SMRPG references from NoA (which never happened in Japan) then why can't Erdrick do the same. I think that's not just fair.
Frankly, I agree. If it wasn't for DQ, Geno wouldn't even exist. I always say that DQ was long overdue, and it should have been in Smash a loooong time ago. Geno has his references and stuff, sure, but DQ has more than just leakers, too. Erdrick has evidence, and that cannot be denied.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Oh, and saying no support for Yuusha in Japan and everyone is now on board because of the leaks is just ridiculous.
How many people here actually constantly checking Japanese textboards and twitter?
They didn't show up in polls because simply people were not thinking that's possible and weird bias of "smash is for the west" among Japanese hardcore smash fans. They tend to choose from foreign favorites.

Firox

Smash Master
It's just too bad that the plant gang died after the plant caught a disease called "low tier garbage"
It's the telltale sign of whether a character has a legit fanbase. If people flock to them even when considered to be low tier trash, then you know you've picked an icon. If most of their supporters vanish in less than a month? Not so much.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Isabelle is definitely the closest we’ve had to an Eastern pick so far in Smash if what I’ve been lead to believe regarding her popularity in Japan and as a bit of an advertising icon haha. But she’s gotten a lot of support from the West too and Animal Crossing in general is pretty damn popular in the West period.

Richter too, but he’s also clearly an echo Eastern counterpoint to Simon...

I don’t think we’ve really seen a true Eastern rep in ages. I guess maybe Lucas when he debuted in Brawl? But he might just be more of a Corrin in that regard as an advertising character...

Most characters are either internationally popular or Western picks if they come from some sort of fan request. I’d say that Smash caters pretty well to the West as is.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
That is true, but they were base game characters, a different beast entirely from DLC. These are characters we're paying for a la carte or as part of a pack. The only other case we have is Lucas, whom Sakurai would have cut if he knew Mother 3 wasn't going to be localized.

In the end, though, patterns aren't everything. We could still easily get Erdrick or just as easily not get him.
Yeah, I guess that was why Lucas wasn't in Smash 4 base game. Luckily his popularity brought him back through DLC. And that popularity was outside of the east as well, as I am sure the Mother 3 fans would back up.

I am curious, who are the popular characters on the eastern side of things? Was Erdrick even that high pre leakers?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I second this because as much as I want more 3rd parties in Smash, 1st parties are also important and there's definitely a list of deserving 1st parties to be added.
Even though Geno is a 3rd party character and Banjo & Kazooie is a Microsoft character, I feel like they're more like 1st party characters too me since Geno has only been on Nintendo consoles and Banjo & Kazooie's entire legacy pretty much has been on Nintendo consoles.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Yeah, I guess that was why Lucas wasn't in Smash 4 base game. Luckily his popularity brought him back through DLC. And that popularity was outside of the east as well, as I am sure the Mother 3 fans would back up.

I am curious, who are the popular characters on the eastern side of things? Was Erdrick even that high pre leakers?
I don't believe Erdrick showed up super high in any of the handful of polls that circulated around here, but getting that kind of data from Japan is also a lot more difficult and most of the stuff collected so far has been fairly limited in scope. There was this poll that circulated a while back that is from Japan and asked what people's expected newcomers were but not necessarily who they wanted (https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76877018 GameFAQs source does list them, here's the original Japanese source if you're interested in that: https://www.inside-games.jp/article/2018/07/15/116161_2.html ).

The general going theory on Dragon Quest is that it would have a similar situation to Castlevania. Castlevania characters never really polled super high around the ballot, but that's also because there wasn't a consensus on which character should get in, so it ended up being a situation where the franchise probably did much better when all combined. I think Dragon Quest would be in a similar position with votes that don't necessarily stand out on their own for say Erdrick, or Eight, or whomever, but when combined you may start seeing more convincing data. I've seen multiple DQ characters on certain polls related to Japan in the past, but again, the reliability of those results is sometimes called into question and exactly how accurate they may be to the Japanese population is sometimes unknown.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Oh, and saying no support for Yuusha in Japan and everyone is now on board because of the leaks is just ridiculous.
How many people here actually constantly checking Japanese textboards and twitter?
They didn't show up in polls because simply people were not thinking that's possible and weird bias of "smash is for the west" among Japanese hardcore smash fans. They tend to choose from foreign favorites.
I lurk sometimes, and yeah, the idea of DQ support and love being lower in Smash is ridiculous. It's clear that people would LOVE DQ in Smash, especially in the east. Western focus is probably why people are taken aback, too, that Sakurai and Nintendo would choose Erdrick and not a character like Eight or Slime. Let's be real, though, a series with as much eastern affection as DQ should be more catered to them and not to our western preferences. We get a lot of western picks, so let DQ have a bone.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I lurk sometimes, and yeah, the idea of DQ support and love being lower in Smash is ridiculous. It's clear that people would LOVE DQ in Smash, especially in the east. Western focus is probably why people are taken aback, too, that Sakurai and Nintendo would choose Erdrick and not a character like Eight or Slime. Let's be real, though, a series with as much eastern affection as DQ should be more catered to them and not to our western preferences. We get a lot of western picks, so let DQ have a bone.
That's really one of my biggest things about the whole situation. Dragon Quest would be chosen in large part due to its place in Japanese gaming more specifically than anything else, it just happens to be recognizable on a global scale. And as such, I feel like it would make more sense to choose the Japanese preferred pick in that situation as opposed to picking Eight or Luminary. I'd also argue that the DQ games that have done well in the States have largely just been because of successful marketing campaigns while the ones that didn't do as well were either victims of circumstances or poor marketing. From what I've read there's not a whole lot to indicate that certain Dragon Quest games have performed better because they were preferred, but more because they just happened to be on the right console, with the right advertising, at the right time.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
It's the telltale sign of whether a character has a legit fanbase. If people flock to them even when considered to be low tier trash, then you know you've picked an icon. If most of their supporters vanish in less than a month? Not so much.
I still like Plant to this day, but with that said, I really am not devoted to it. However, when it comes to characters I'm devoted to, I stick with them no matter what, come hell or high water.

First, there was Mewtwo in Melee. He plays like a crappy helium balloon on its last legs, sure, but I mained him anyway because I loved him, and he can still be pretty good if you utilize him the right way. Sonic was such a big deal for me in Brawl that I mained him without question. I did so with Sm4sh, as well, until Mewtwo came along. My devotion for Mewtwo brought me back to him, yet I kept maining Sonic in one version while I took Mewtwo on the other. K. Rool is the most recent instance of this, a character I've been DYING to see in Smash. I vowed that I would main him in a flash if (and, at long last, WHEN) he got in, even if he played like slapping a wet turkey into a window. Needless to say, I still main him to this day, with Sonic and Mewtwo being my next go-tos if I want something different. If we got Geno and Banjo, it'd be the same for them. They'd be instant mains or secondaries right there, no matter how well or badly they play.

I know a lot of people play characters for their viability, but I say... screw that. I play the characters I LOVE, gosh darn it!

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Dude , that's not "low tier garbage" , that's just a bottom tier.

I love Plant , but damn it is one of the most "WHY ARE YOU NOT LIKE EVERYONE ELSE?" character I ever played.
I mean , it's funny to see someone jump over plant and get destroyed by it's amazing anti-air/juggle game (up-tilt , up-air to ptooie is so good it's not even funny) , or try to shield it's poison cloud and get grabbed... But damn , it can't do much sadly.
D-throw rarely combo , Down-tilt is only frame 9 and don't lead to a lot... It's aerials are too laggy to combo... Plant need a speed boost or it won't be able to catch up to the metagame.

Also , after playing some Sin & Punishment... It's funny , but I realized that I learned about more games through spirits and assist trophies than fighter...

If I have to do a list...

-King K. Rool encouraged me to pick up DKC2 on the Wii U eshop and I'll probably pick up DKC1/2/64.
-Ridley made me remember that I should start a playthrough of Metroid Prime
-The Belmonts made me interested in Castlevania , too bad that there is still no Castlevania on the switch

-Geno made me discovered SMRPG wich was my 2018 Game of the year , yeah , even better than Ultimate
-Isaac encouraged me to pick up the first Golden Sun on the Wii U eshop
-Starfy made me remember that I should at least pick up "The Legendary Starfy" on DS , since the 4 others games are GBA Japan exclusives
-Saki Amamiya encouraged me to pick up Sin & Punishment on the Wii U eshop , even tho I suck at on rail shooters
-Jeff just made me remember that I should continue my Earthbound playthrough
-Midna made me remember that I should try to get TP HD before it get over-priced
-Dillon make me sad because his games are great but I just don't have enough space on my 3DS.(I'll try to get Dillon Dead-Hat Breakers)
-Takamaru just made me pick up a famicom game even tho I really struggle with very old games
-Ashley made me remember that I should SERIOUSLY pick up Wario Ware Gold because of how much I loved Touch
-Skull Kid just made me rember how much I loved the MM manga and that I should pick up the MM 3D remake
-Prince Sablé legit made me interested in a japanese game boy game
-Krystal made me remember that I should do a serious playthrought of Starfox Adventure
-Yuri really catched my attention , even tho I despise horror games... WHY IS MAIDEN OF THE BLACK WATER SO DAMN RARE???
-Bomberman just made me remember that I should pick up Super Bomberman R to have a fun and simple game to play with my parents
-Shovel Knight made me remember that Shovel Knight got a ton of DLC campaign , wich finally make the game worth to buy for me
-Andy just made me remember Advance Wars in general , and that I should just check if it's on the Wii U eshop
-Captain Toad just made me remember his game and conviced me to pick it up for sale on Wii U , almost 100% it
-Chibi-Robo having a costume just made me really really happy , made me remember that I did 2 100% playthrought of Plug Into Adventure
-Dixie Kong is the same as King K. Rool
-Ninten convinced me to pick up Earthbound Begginings , and even tho it's grindy , it's really fun for such an old RPG !
-Paper Mario made me remember that I should seriously catch up with his games. Picked up Color Splash and finished it , plan to pick up 64 soon.
-Porky is the same as Jeff
-Rayman made me remember that I should pick up Rayman Legends Definitive Edition , I need this damn game on the switch. Rayman just make me smile.
-Chorus Kids/Karate Joe made me remember about Rythm Heaven and that I should seriously pick up the DS/Wii/3DS games
-Shantae just fricking made me re-buy Pirate's Curse on Switch+A physical copy of half genie hero+Shantae GB/Risky's revenge on the 3DS eshop.
-Viridi just encouraged me to go back to Kid Icarus Uprising , and this game was a blast. Such charming characters.

Damn I don't regret beeing curious and not say "LOL GOT AT'D/SPIRIT'D LMAO XDDD" to every one of these amazing characters.

Granted , the comparaison isn't really fair since there is more AT/Spirits than Newcomers... But the simple fact that ALL OF THEM made me interested in something is damn impressive.
And I could even talk about Lip , BWD , Marx , Magolor , but either their games was a japanese exclusive that I don't have enough infos on , or that they didn't convinced me in a game in particular. (Star Allies look really cool but... 60 dollars is sadly too much for me.)

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
Funny that I'm the total opposite of this opinion. Have you ever actually played the Kingdom Hearts games? Sora is freaking awesome and his new key blade transformations could make him very different from the more generic swordies. Erdrick, on the other hand is a complete turn off for me. Granted, I don't know what he's capable of so I can't imagine what his moveset would be, but I swear if he's nothing but a Mii Swordfighter with a wannabe Dragon Ball skin, I'm probably not going to bother buying him. That's just me. Any newcomers with a sword need to be really interesting and unique for me to care.
Yes I've played Kingdom Hearts games since they first came out. I even like the games themselves, gameplay wise. I like other characters in the game. Not a huge fan of the story at all but its whatever. I despise Sora as a character. And obviously they dont have to cater to me, but just the same, I'd hate to see him in the game.

I find his personality obnoxious at worst and bland at best.

Though it's the fan boys I hate most. They think he is godlike and it irks me. They probably feel the same about Geno that i feel about Sora if they arent for both.

And honestly, all that said, if Geno was in the game already, I'd have very little issue with Sora. I may not like him, but his inclusion would mean as little to me as Erdrick's. I'd be downright neutral on both if I didnt think theyd downright obliterate Geno's chances.

I was optimistic about 2 square reps, and Ideally I'd love if all the camps were satisfied. However, I feel like the Geno camp gets the most crap from people, and I wont hide my bias to give this impression that Geno people are super tolerant. I'd have Geno step on all other competition to get in, no question.

D

Deleted member

The only character I consider bad enough to be bottom tier is Little Mac. As much as I like the guy, I can't help but say he just plain sucks in this game. They made him worse and I don't have as much fun playing him as I did in Sm4sh. I still use him from time to time, but he's just been overshadowed by Wario for me, and I legit can't tell you how happy I was when Wario turned out to be a good character in this game after he sucked in the previous one.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I was optimistic about 2 square reps, and Ideally I'd love if all the camps were satisfied. However, I feel like the Geno camp gets the most crap from people, and I wont hide my bias to give this impression that Geno people are super tolerant. I'd have Geno step on all other competition to get in, no question.
The thing with Geno is that people know that he is beloved, whether they agree with it or not. Disagreeing is totally understandable, though, because... let's be rational. He's a one-off character from a game from over two decades ago. When you think about it, it's definitely a strange choice, one that took me a long time to rationalize (which then ended up in me becoming a Geno fan myself, oopsie doopsie).

What people don't seem to realize is the capability to agree to disagree. I personally hate KH and Sora, too, but it's nothing personal and I'm not going to say their fans are wrong for wanting him. I'm also not going to root for Sora to never get in because, "LOL I want to see those fans SO BTFO!" We have our own differing opinions. If we didn't, we'd be pretty darn boring.

Sora is popular. KH is popular. I don't get it and I will never fathom why people like them, but hey, let 'em keep on keeping on. I treat people the way I want to be treated. I wish people weren't the type to so openly crap on Geno to the point of accusing his fans of being delusional or idiotic just for liking the character. Disliking, even hating, him is understandable. Heck, I hated his guts once upon a time, believe it or not! That said, being a decent human being is something that is sadly lacking in the Smash community, and that is the root of the problem.

They ain't gonna stop me from loving my boy, though. If I'm garbage just for liking a freaking video game character, then man, they're missing out. I can draw you baby ducks. If you deny that, you've clearly done lost your fool mind.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
The only character I consider bad enough to be bottom tier is Little Mac. As much as I like the guy, I can't help but say he just plain sucks in this game. They made him worse and I don't have as much fun playing him as I did in Sm4sh. I still use him from time to time, but he's just been overshadowed by Wario for me, and I legit can't tell you how happy I was when Wario turned out to be a good character in this game after he sucked in the previous one.
Give Little mac his Sm4sh Down-tilt. Why did they nerf that. WHY???

And Wario didn't suck in Sm4sh , he was decent. Have you seen Glutonny results or how his meta developped during the last year of Sm4sh lifespan? I mean , the barrier between tiers in Sm4sh was... Noticible , to say the least , but I wouldn't say that Wario sucked. (Especially after playing these guys :4olimar::4dedede::4pacman:. Olimar is really good , he's just frustrating sometimes.)

And while I don't really want to start a debate about tier list here , I think there is 3 bottom tiers characters in Ultimate : :ultlittlemac::ultpiranha::ultkirby: (poor Kirby , always get the short end of the stick since Melee...)

D

Deleted member

And Wario didn't suck in Sm4sh , he was decent. Have you seen Glutonny results or how his meta developped during the last year of Sm4sh lifespan?
Just because Gluttony was good with him in Sm4sh doesn't mean it made him any better. He still didn't have very many options for punishing. Almost all of his moves had lots of start up and end lag, his back air had tons of landing lag, the removed his bike projectiles from Brawl, he had no combos, etc. All he had was his aerial mobility, recovery, and waft. Waft was all people had to worry about when fighting Wario in Sm4sh. The changes to Ultimate's engine have completely benefited him, giving him actual combos, a healing chomp, turning his dash attack into a KO move, etc. And now many people, top players included, have placed Wario as one of the very best in the entire game.

Also, literally everyone thinks Mac, PP and Kirby are the bottom three and the worst of the worst in this game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
The thing with Geno is that people know that he is beloved, whether they agree with it or not. Disagreeing is totally understandable, though, because... let's be rational. He's a one-off character from a game from over two decades ago. When you think about it, it's definitely a strange choice, one that took me a long time to rationalize (which then ended up in me becoming a Geno fan myself, oopsie doopsie).

What people don't seem to realize is the capability to agree to disagree. I personally hate KH and Sora, too, but it's nothing personal and I'm not going to say their fans are wrong for wanting him. I'm also not going to root for Sora to never get in because, "LOL I want to see those fans SO BTFO!" We have our own differing opinions. If we didn't, we'd be pretty darn boring.

Sora is popular. KH is popular. I don't get it and I will never fathom why people like them, but hey, let 'em keep on keeping on. I treat people the way I want to be treated. I wish people weren't the type to so openly crap on Geno to the point of accusing his fans of being delusional or idiotic just for liking the character. Disliking, even hating, him is understandable. Heck, I hated his guts once upon a time, believe it or not! That said, being a decent human being is something that is sadly lacking in the Smash community, and that is the root of the problem.

They ain't gonna stop me from loving my boy, though. If I'm garbage just for liking a freaking video game character, then man, they're missing out. I can draw you baby ducks. If you deny that, you've clearly done lost your fool mind.
Geez. Thank you again. I was a bit tilted before tbh. Looking back on it I agree with everything you've said here. I have had bad experiences with Sora people, but I dont dislike the entire fan base. I also dont understand why he's so beloved, though I can understand Kingdom Hearts as a series. Heck, I like it myself, even I dont think it's one of the better games I've played.

I guess I became what I hated there for a second and I'll apologize for it. I just wish people werent so cruel. I dont wish the Sora people any ill. I just know that if he gets in or Erdrick, Geno's chances drop significantly more.

Guess just being told by DQ and Sora people over and over "he's a spirit give up" makes me want to see them proven wrong. I know the BTFO culture is terrible, I really do, but sometimes I just want to watch these people eat their words. I just cant help it some days.

I understand there are people that will be happy if Sora or Erdrick or even some unexpected pick gets in....but I dont know why we just have to stand idly by and by like "let's be happy for them". People have said really terrible crap for me even still hoping for Geno. Theyd never be happy for any of us if Geno made it despite the odds. Theyd be just as toxic and salty as ever.

So again , I find myself frustrated. Smash is my favorite game, and seeing it sell out to what sells most depresses me. I wasnt always on the Geno train myself, but I fell in love with his potential. And naturally this turns me bitter towards other Square reps, even if it were a character I like like Sephiroth or Crono.

Then there's Erdrick who I'm so neutral on he might as well not exist, and Sora who as a character has always irked me since I first played KH. I dont hate anyone, and yeah I find the fanbase extremes terrible. But after cooling off, I know it's not everyone.

Again thanks, I got really bent out shape cause I've been feeling like a shaken soda bottle since November in regards to speculation.

D

Deleted member

Geez. Thank you again. I was a bit tilted before tbh. Looking back on it I agree with everything you've said here. I have had bad experiences with Sora people, but I dont dislike the entire fan base. I also dont understand why he's so beloved, though I can understand Kingdom Hearts as a series. Heck, I like it myself, even I dont think it's one of the better games I've played.

I guess I became what I hated there for a second and I'll apologize for it. I just wish people werent so cruel. I dont wish the Sora people any ill. I just know that if he gets in or Erdrick, Geno's chances drop significantly more.

Guess just being told by DQ and Sora people over and over "he's a spirit give up" makes me want to see them proven wrong. I know the BTFO culture is terrible, I really do, but sometimes I just want to watch these people eat their words. I just cant help it some days.

I understand there are people that will be happy if Sora or Erdrick or even some unexpected pick gets in....but I dont know why we just have to stand idly by and by like "let's be happy for them". People have said really terrible crap for me even still hoping for Geno. Theyd never be happy for any of us if Geno made it despite the odds. Theyd be just as toxic and salty as ever.

So again , I find myself frustrated. Smash is my favorite game, and seeing it sell out to what sells most depresses me. I wasnt always on the Geno train myself, but I fell in love with his potential. And naturally this turns me bitter towards other Square reps, even if it were a character I like like Sephiroth or Crono.

Then there's Erdrick who I'm so neutral on he might as well not exist, and Sora who as a character has always irked me since I first played KH. I dont hate anyone, and yeah I find the fanbase extremes terrible. But after cooling off, I know it's not everyone.

Again thanks, I got really bent out shape cause I've been feeling like a shaken soda bottle since November in regards to speculation.
I relate so much to this.

Ovaltine

Smash Master

I know how it is, man. A lot of people, especially Geno's and Isaac's fans, have been shaken up since that direct, Grinch leak believer or not. (Thank goodness I didn't believe it, or that would have been just that much worse...)

When it comes to seeing people eat their words, I feel you on that, too. I don't like to see people get BTFO when it comes to their favorites, but when it comes to seeing people get their just desserts for being needlessly cruel to people, I love that wonderful schadenfreude. When K. Rool was revealed, I was a smug-ass *****, not towards anyone who thought he was unlikely or wanted another rep, but towards the harassers. The people who thought I was crazy for wanting K. Rool in Smash, the people who told me to just give up, the people who thought I was delusional, the people who insulted me for my preferences... all got shut the heck up. I was so happy to see them eating their words.

I'm fine with standing by and being happy for Sora's and Erdrick's fans, though, to be honest. It's what I'd want given to me if Geno got in. Just because some naysayers will be jerks and wouldn't do the same for us with Geno doesn't mean I'll discard my decency and kind nature. If people are happy, that's a great thing, and I can't be selfish about it. I'd rather take a more altruistic view.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

Quickly, I will respond to EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman and Teeb147 Teeb147 on your responses when I get a fair chance to read them so I'm not ignoring any arguments.

Now with our favorite duck lesbian, I need to point out WHY Sora is so popular. They best way for me to explain it (as someone who loved KH up until I tried and failed twice to enjoy Dream Drop Distance and being incredibly disappointed with KH3) is that KH1 was a miracle game: it came out at a time when Disney-raised kids were still young and the PS2 was still hot stuff. It took Disney characters and it made them badasses fighting alongside you to defeat an unending dark force that constantly replenished it's forces. You traveled to Disney worlds you grew up on and it felt like really being there. Sora was bland as a character, but as a kid that allows you to become the main character. Sora being bland makes him an self-insert, an Isekai if you will: it's not Sora fighting evil Heartless and beating up Disney villains with Donald as a ****ing wizard and Goofy an infallible Captain of the Guard...it's YOU doing all that, and it made you feel badass and cool at the same time as filling you with awe and wonder at your childhood coming to life in a way that was never done before. Sure, KH1 had it's problems, but arguably Sora being a bland character helped the game absorb kids. Chain of Memories kinda kept that magic a bit and let you play as Riku who EVERY kid who grew up with KH thought was cooler than Sora, and then KH2 lost a bit of that magic but held onto most of it and finished the series. It wasn't until Nomura starting doing this bull**** with putting a title on every ****ing console and changing world elements on a scale so much bigger than KH2 and retconning and rewriting and bringing characters back just because they are popular but doing nothing with them and making the story ungodly more convoluted is what the problem is.

But you know what really hurts KH more than anything else? With how Nomura changed the narrative to try and give us more interesting characters and to un-bland Sora, it was no longer the player traveling to worlds and interacting with them, it was Sora. I think that connection was lost, among many other things that were lost in an attempt to be a master storyteller. The last KH game I played out of desire rather than feeling it was required to 'finish and understand' the series was 358/2 Days, and despite (or maybe because of) how boring the gameplay was in the game, I became super emotionally connected to Roxas, Axel and Xion as characters. Not only was it the first and only KH game to have true multiplayer, but I legitimately cried twice at the end of the game. Happens when a bunch of friends are torn apart and the only option is for one of them to die at the hands of the other for the greater good of the multiverse after you have bonded with both characters. I'll go into more detail with you sometime about how hard that plot hit me, but my point is that after what was essentially the fifth game in the series, I stopped playing them. Later on I tried to play Dream Drop Distance, but in an effort to tell a story they made forced game mechanics that made me what to play other games. I caught up on Birth By Sleep only a couple months before KH3 just so I knew what was going on with three characters I didn't even know, and I wasn't super attached to the game by the end and only cared about one of the characters. The rest of the plot is overly convoluted and I couldn't be bothered to give a **** because that magic was gone, but KH3 was that glory game that would bring us all back and things would be great again...and it wasn't even close.

Anyway, some people have dedicated their life to the series at this point, and I think they are pretending that the magic of the first game is still there somewhere and are desperately searching for it in new releases, and while they other games keep feeling more and more deprived of that magic, the glory of who Sora was...which was essentially us being turned into a badass and put in worlds we loved in ways we only dreamed off...that is what still pushes the love for the series and the character.

I used to want Sora in Smash more than anything else for a period, but then I was reminded of SMRPG and KH has fallen very far from grace, so Geno is the only one I really care about.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Quickly, I will respond to EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman and Teeb147 Teeb147 on your responses when I get a fair chance to read them so I'm not ignoring any arguments.

Now with our favorite duck lesbian, I need to point out WHY Sora is so popular. They best way for me to explain it (as someone who loved KH up until I tried and failed twice to enjoy Dream Drop Distance and being incredibly disappointed with KH3) is that KH1 was a miracle game: it came out at a time when Disney-raised kids were still young and the PS2 was still hot stuff. It took Disney characters and it made them badasses fighting alongside you to defeat an unending dark force that constantly replenished it's forces. You traveled to Disney worlds you grew up on and it felt like really being there. Sora was bland as a character, but as a kid that allows you to become the main character. Sora being bland makes him an self-insert, an Isekai if you will: it's not Sora fighting evil Heartless and beating up Disney villains with Donald as a ****ing wizard and Goofy an infallible Captain of the Guard...it's YOU doing all that, and it made you feel badass and cool at the same time as filling you with awe and wonder at your childhood coming to life in a way that was never done before. Sure, KH1 had it's problems, but arguably Sora being a bland character helped the game absorb kids. Chain of Memories kinda kept that magic a bit and let you play as Riku who EVERY kid who grew up with KH thought was cooler than Sora, and then KH2 lost a bit of that magic but held onto most of it and finished the series. It wasn't until Nomura starting doing this bull**** with putting a title on every ****ing console and changing world elements on a scale so much bigger than KH2 and retconning and rewriting and bringing characters back just because they are popular but doing nothing with them and making the story ungodly more convoluted is what the problem is.

But you know what really hurts KH more than anything else? With how Nomura changed the narrative to try and give us more interesting characters and to un-bland Sora, it was no longer the player traveling to worlds and interacting with them, it was Sora. I think that connection was lost, among many other things that were lost in an attempt to be a master storyteller. The last KH game I played out of desire rather than feeling it was required to 'finish and understand' the series was 358/2 Days, and despite (or maybe because of) how boring the gameplay was in the game, I became super emotionally connected to Roxas, Axel and Xion as characters. Not only was it the first and only KH game to have true multiplayer, but I legitimately cried twice at the end of the game. Happens when a bunch of friends are torn apart and the only option is for one of them to die at the hands of the other for the greater good of the multiverse after you have bonded with both characters. I'll go into more detail with you sometime about how hard that plot hit me, but my point is that after what was essentially the fifth game in the series, I stopped playing them. Later on I tried to play Dream Drop Distance, but in an effort to tell a story they made forced game mechanics that made me what to play other games. I caught up on Birth By Sleep only a couple months before KH3 just so I knew what was going on with three characters I didn't even know, and I wasn't super attached to the game by the end and only cared about one of the characters. The rest of the plot is overly convoluted and I couldn't be bothered to give a **** because that magic was gone, but KH3 was that glory game that would bring us all back and things would be great again...and it wasn't even close.

Anyway, some people have dedicated their life to the series at this point, and I think they are pretending that the magic of the first game is still there somewhere and are desperately searching for it in new releases, and while they other games keep feeling more and more deprived of that magic, the glory of who Sora was...which was essentially us being turned into a badass and put in worlds we loved in ways we only dreamed off...that is what still pushes the love for the series and the character.

I used to want Sora in Smash more than anything else for a period, but then I was reminded of SMRPG and KH has fallen very far from grace, so Geno is the only one I really care about.
That's a really interesting viewpoint on it. I never even had an opportunity to grow up with that, and with how Nintendo-focused I was as a little girl, I doubt I'd have even taken the chance. Seeing another perspective on that is pretty enlightening... but also very depressing. Goddamn, the series really ended up getting mangled, didn't it? That kind of thing is SO soul-crushing. I've seen series I've loved come into the limelight and get absolutely destroyed by terrible stories, character-ruining, and game play failures. That just sounds like... a whole hot mess of all of it. I feel so bad for Sora's fans now, holy moly. That is just REALLY sad.

Still, very neat to see why Sora is such a big deal for people. Honestly... I never thought of it that way, and that child-like wonderment and handling of it is really relatable. Can't help but respect KH a little more after that. It's a dose of magic for a lot of people, and that's a great thing. Shame the series got so tarnished by Square's (apparently, mainly Nomura's) mishandling, though.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
That's a really interesting viewpoint on it. I never even had an opportunity to grow up with that, and with how Nintendo-focused I was as a little girl, I doubt I'd have even taken the chance. Seeing another perspective on that is pretty enlightening... but also very depressing. Goddamn, the series really ended up getting mangled, didn't it? That kind of thing is SO soul-crushing. I've seen series I've loved come into the limelight and get absolutely destroyed by terrible stories, character-ruining, and game play failures. That just sounds like... a whole hot mess of all of it. I feel so bad for Sora's fans now, holy moly. That is just REALLY sad.

Still, very neat to see why Sora is such a big deal for people. Honestly... I never thought of it that way, and that child-like wonderment and handling of it is really relatable. Can't help but respect KH a little more after that. It's a dose of magic for a lot of people, and that's a great thing. Shame the series got so tarnished by Square's (apparently, mainly Nomura's) mishandling, though.
Eh, it happens. As it turns out, most material things in life are doomed to fail in some way, either by not living up to acceptable expectations or by failing to meet standards that are set too high. Today's issue is that we have trouble figuring out whether the problem is the content producer or the consumer, even when they answer should be obvious.

This is one of the reasons I encourage people to go out and love people and make friends and have experiences, because as good as media can be, it's no replacement for real-life experiences. Even if you've been hurt or have given up on enjoying life, keep trying because in the long run sentimental value means a lot more to us illogical humans.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Teeb147 Teeb147 where did you get your icon from? I think that's a sweet picture.
cool :)
It's from DQ3's gameboy color manual. There's two artwork of girl erdrick in it and this one is cool. The other one is a a bit different style but still a chibi version, which people thought there wasnt artwork of :p

9dgd2eF.png

s'fine ;)
not too invested.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I love Plant , but damn it is one of the most "WHY ARE YOU NOT LIKE EVERYONE ELSE?" character I ever played.
I mean , it's funny to see someone jump over plant and get destroyed by it's amazing anti-air/juggle game (up-tilt , up-air to ptooie is so good it's not even funny) , or try to shield it's poison cloud and get grabbed... But damn , it can't do much sadly.
D-throw rarely combo , Down-tilt is only frame 9 and don't lead to a lot... It's aerials are too laggy to combo... Plant need a speed boost or it won't be able to catch up to the metagame.

Also , after playing some Sin & Punishment... It's funny , but I realized that I learned about more games through spirits and assist trophies than fighter...

If I have to do a list...

-King K. Rool encouraged me to pick up DKC2 on the Wii U eshop and I'll probably pick up DKC1/2/64.
-Ridley made me remember that I should start a playthrough of Metroid Prime
-The Belmonts made me interested in Castlevania , too bad that there is still no Castlevania on the switch

-Geno made me discovered SMRPG wich was my 2018 Game of the year , yeah , even better than Ultimate
-Isaac encouraged me to pick up the first Golden Sun on the Wii U eshop
-Starfy made me remember that I should at least pick up "The Legendary Starfy" on DS , since the 4 others games are GBA Japan exclusives
-Saki Amamiya encouraged me to pick up Sin & Punishment on the Wii U eshop , even tho I suck at on rail shooters
-Jeff just made me remember that I should continue my Earthbound playthrough
-Midna made me remember that I should try to get TP HD before it get over-priced
-Dillon make me sad because his games are great but I just don't have enough space on my 3DS.(I'll try to get Dillon Dead-Hat Breakers)
-Takamaru just made me pick up a famicom game even tho I really struggle with very old games
-Ashley made me remember that I should SERIOUSLY pick up Wario Ware Gold because of how much I loved Touch
-Skull Kid just made me rember how much I loved the MM manga and that I should pick up the MM 3D remake
-Prince Sablé legit made me interested in a japanese game boy game
-Krystal made me remember that I should do a serious playthrought of Starfox Adventure
-Yuri really catched my attention , even tho I despise horror games... WHY IS MAIDEN OF THE BLACK WATER SO DAMN RARE???
-Bomberman just made me remember that I should pick up Super Bomberman R to have a fun and simple game to play with my parents
-Shovel Knight made me remember that Shovel Knight got a ton of DLC campaign , wich finally make the game worth to buy for me
-Andy just made me remember Advance Wars in general , and that I should just check if it's on the Wii U eshop
-Captain Toad just made me remember his game and conviced me to pick it up for sale on Wii U , almost 100% it
-Chibi-Robo having a costume just made me really really happy , made me remember that I did 2 100% playthrought of Plug Into Adventure
-Dixie Kong is the same as King K. Rool
-Ninten convinced me to pick up Earthbound Begginings , and even tho it's grindy , it's really fun for such an old RPG !
-Paper Mario made me remember that I should seriously catch up with his games. Picked up Color Splash and finished it , plan to pick up 64 soon.
-Porky is the same as Jeff
-Rayman made me remember that I should pick up Rayman Legends Definitive Edition , I need this damn game on the switch. Rayman just make me smile.
-Chorus Kids/Karate Joe made me remember about Rythm Heaven and that I should seriously pick up the DS/Wii/3DS games
-Shantae just fricking made me re-buy Pirate's Curse on Switch+A physical copy of half genie hero+Shantae GB/Risky's revenge on the 3DS eshop.
-Viridi just encouraged me to go back to Kid Icarus Uprising , and this game was a blast. Such charming characters.

Damn I don't regret beeing curious and not say "LOL GOT AT'D/SPIRIT'D LMAO XDDD" to every one of these amazing characters.

Granted , the comparaison isn't really fair since there is more AT/Spirits than Newcomers... But the simple fact that ALL OF THEM made me interested in something is damn impressive.
And I could even talk about Lip , BWD , Marx , Magolor , but either their games was a japanese exclusive that I don't have enough infos on , or that they didn't convinced me in a game in particular. (Star Allies look really cool but... 60 dollars is sadly too much for me.)
I've said it many times, the character selection for ATs might make a better roster than the one we have.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I've said it many times, the character selection for ATs might make a better roster than the one we have.
It wouldn't be worth making all of those Assists playable at the cost of trading them for the entire roster. But honestly dude we need a Season Pass that contains nothing but Assists getting promoted to playable characters.

zippyskipy

Smash Cadet
So, if anyone wants to learn more about Geno, I have drawn and created a very important infographic, for all of your tiny star in a tiny toy needs.

Enjoy.
HEY so I saw this on tumblr and came here basically just to scold you. This is cute! Illegally cute!
Go to jail! Go directly to jail! Do not pass go! Do not collect $200! :mad088:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I think we could make a good compromise ;

I feel like some AT should clearly be fighters (Isaac , Waluigi , Bomberman , Ashley , ect...) while some fighters , that , are still pretty cool... But in my opinion , aren't as important (:ultcorrin::ultike:(While they are both unique , they still are at their core FE swordmans when there is more weapon variety in FE , and no FE villain):ultjigglypuff:(she got lucky in 64):ultpiranha:(It's an experiment more than anything else):ultsheik:(Her situation is weird):ultyounglink:(Should have been more decloned)) (Not counting clones because they are just bonus characters in the end)

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I think we could make a good compromise ;

I feel like some AT should clearly be fighters (Isaac , Waluigi , Bomberman , Ashley , ect...) while some fighters , that , are still pretty cool... But in my opinion , aren't as important (:ultcorrin::ultike:(While they are both unique , they still are at their core FE swordmans when there is more weapon variety in FE , and no FE villain):ultjigglypuff:(she got lucky in 64):ultpiranha:(It's an experiment more than anything else):ultsheik:(Her situation is weird):ultyounglink:(Should have been more decloned)) (Not counting clones because they are just bonus characters in the end)
Ike was the original heavy swordsman and actually brought something new to Smash. He deserves better than just being called another FE swordsman. He’s also really important being a part of direct sequel entries in the FE series and not specially a lord.

But really, what I’m saying is, anybody comes for my Ike and we’re going to have to scrap haha. I’m irrationally attached to that particular FE character. I’ll give you Roy and Chrom instead.

D

Deleted member

Ike was the original heavy swordsman and actually brought something new to Smash. He deserves better than just being called another FE swordsman. He’s also really important being a part of direct sequel entries in the FE series and not specially a lord.

But really, what I’m saying is, anybody comes for my Ike and we’re going to have to scrap haha. I’m irrationally attached to that particular FE character. I’ll give you Roy and Chrom instead.
Agreed. He's the first character I played ever in Smash bros and I even knew about him before Mario lol. And yeah, he's the only FE character I wouldn't want to cut.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I remember being hyped when I saw Ike was revealed on the Smash Dojo site. His inclusion made Lyn getting AT'd a bit easier to swallow.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'd cut a lot of FE characters, but frankly, I wouldn't cut Ike either. I'd keep Marth and Ike, maybe replace Robin with another mage of some kind, and leave it at that. That pretty much encompasses the FE rep in a far more succinct and manageable way, as well as cutting out echoes and clones. I'd maybe keep Roy because of his longevity, but that's about it.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229

Oh yeah , Ike definitely was a good starting point after Marth ; using his sword like a club made him really different. And he's the leader of a mercenary troup right?
Actually , Ike was promising for the FE characters :
It's just that after that , they made 3 other Marth :ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom: , and made :ultcorrin: and :ultrobin: use their sword way too much in my opinion.

So after that... I dunno , if we only had :ultmarth::ultrobin::ultike: for FE reps , I clearly wouldn't cut Ike... But since all FE characters use a sword , his "heavy swordman" playstyle isn't big enough of a difference for me to warrant a spot compared to characters from others franchises.
It's just that FE is so badly represented with characters... No dual weapon wielder except :ultrobin: , no pure mage , no spear user , no axe user , no bow user , no characters riding a horse or a wyvern , no pure manakete (:ultcorrin: isn't one)... NO STINKIN VILLAIN , that's a big red flag for me...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
With Fire Emblem I think the character selection is pretty good, but I would cut Corrin and two of the Awakening reps, then declone Roy and the remaining Awakening rep. Four fighters is fine for a series with 16 titles. My preference for the Awakening rep is Chrom as he's the protagonist and the coolest of the three, but I get keeping Robin for variety's sake.

And then add Lyn because there's no good reason not to.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Corrin would be so toast if I was in charge. Kill Corrin and give his moveset to Nasir (I don't care if they don't work EXACTLY the same, Nasir's actually cool and he turns into a dragon, close enough). Trade Chrom and Lucina in at the store for Hector.

Robin and Ike are very good characters who should stay. Marth pays rent so he can stay too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom