• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't think a character that leaves people confused about what DLC will be is a good first reveal, and I'm saying that loving Joker's inclusion.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
This is honestly the main reason my view on Erdrick has soured. Before he appeared in all the leaks, I probably would've had a less sour view on him. But after he appeared in so many leaks, anytime someone brought up the possibility of him not being in, the majority of the Smash community would get extremely heated (from what I've seen though, Erdrick's actual fans don't do this lol).

I agree with you.
I prefer Eight, anyway. I'd be okay with Eight getting in.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm just going to be honest here for a sec. I won't mind an outcome where Erdrick has nothing to do with Ultimate in the slightest. Not only will all the "Erdrick is a lock!" people back off, but it will make them realize how much time they wasted talking about a character they thought was 100% in. I only say this mean-sounding stuff because majority of these people are mean af. I said majority, not all.
This is honestly the main reason my view on Erdrick has soured. Before he appeared in all the leaks, I probably would've had a less sour view on him. But after he appeared in so many leaks, anytime someone brought up the possibility of him not being in, the majority of the Smash community would get extremely heated (from what I've seen though, Erdrick's actual fans don't do this lol).

I agree with you.
Those people are mostly sheep, sadly enough. Most won't use any reasoning or thinking logic, so long as they're not stamped on for thinking differently than the majority. It's like some George Orwell craziness here.

DQ fans like me are actually chill, so most pro-Eddy backers are bandwagoners anyway.

I prefer Eight, anyway. I'd be okay with Eight.
I'd go with Solo/Sofia myself.

I don't think a character that leaves people confused about what DLC will be is a good first reveal, and I'm saying that loving Joker's inclusion.
Reggie's explanation was too vague, that's it. No one still knows whether the pass has any first parties.

Though it still beats the stuff Ono pulls for Street Fighter productions. Case in point, SFxT's US Mega Man, as opposed to Smash's Classic Mega Man.

I can understand @Ovaltine and her need of a break because I'm THIS close to just leaving PapaGeno's server altogether because it's just so insanely Erdrick-riding and toxic besides. Multiple people have brought up the issues with this and nothing has been done, leaving people to their own devices which is, ironically enough leaving the server and making up new ones that house mostly the same good people from Papa's server. The sad part is all these toxic fakers put on smiley friendly faces to newcomers and to Papa when he join in the speculation, but when he leaves and the new people acclimate they get treated the same way. Unfortunately Papa can't do much as he's busy with his content and his staff isn't taking care of the issue despite that being their job.

I've basically given up trying to debate there and am actively finding people there who are getting sick of it and letting them get a reprieve in our server where they can actually debate with people who are respectful.

Outside of this, I'm also sick and tired of people who think Erdrick is a lock because of talking points. How many times does it have to be said that these points are not evidence to his inclusion, merely talking points about his possibility just like EVERY. OTHER. CHARACTER! Jesus, people really are so naive and hard-headed. Still, there is no reason to give up. If you need a break, sure, go for it, but things aren't really bad for Geno. His chances are better than ever and...

My god, you couldn't be more in the opposite direction. Seriously, do I need to go over again how most of the character inclusions were fan-based? DO MY FELLOW GENO BROS AND GALS NEED PUMPED UP AGAIN! BECAUSE I AM READY AND RARING TO GO TODAY! WOOOOOOOOHHHHHHOOOOOOOO~!

*cracks knuckles and wiggles fingers in anticipation*

Alright, so look at all the returning vets with Ice Climbers, Pichu, Young Link, Pokemon Trainer, Snake and Wolf. In most mock polls, guess who placed highly? Snake, Wolf, and Ice Climbers with the rest of the veterans placing high as well though not quite as high as these three. Mewtwo was the biggest request and was brought back along with Lucas and Roy who also had tons of fan demand, and not only did they come back a game earlier but were still here for Ultimate. Don't forget now that EVERY SINGLE RETURNING VETERAN is fan pick which will likely never happen again in the history of Smash. Thus, for Ultimate alone, that is 6 fan picks right off the bat. Now, let's look at newcomers.

One of the biggest complaints was that Inkling and K. Rool were costumes when fans wanted both Inkling and K. Rool in the game as playable, and the first reveal was Inkling who was very much clamored for since Splatoon is a splash hit (pun intended) and everyone loves our lil' squid bois and gurls. Daisy has been requested for Smash for a very long time and Ridley for longer still despite how Ridley kept showing up as anything but playable. Then we get Simon, who has been requested for a long time as well even if his support wasn't as strong as others and we get Richter as a Japanese bonus. Chrom was complained about not being playable over Smash 4's lifespan and Dark Samus had some support (mainly as a Western-made character) that then skyrocketed once echo fighters were announced. Then, BIG BOI THICC BOI KING K. ROOL! Like, we got Ridley AND King K. Rool, two of the biggest of biggums! There was no way we could get that many fan requests, right? But it happened, and we were hype!

Now the last four are what I call The Questionable Four: where these characters REALLY requested? Here's the kicker: it doesn't matter! We all agree that a balance between fan requests, modern picks and Sakurai's creative genius is the formula that keeps Smash as dope as it is. Isabelle may not have been on the general radar but she has a fan base and is more modern compared to other picks, so her announcement with AC for Switch was brilliant. Ken is an auto-include when Richter confirmed 3rd-party echoes, and Ken is loved more than Ryu! Incineroar is more popular than everyone gives him credit for and is loved by the community once they got the Grinch Turd out of their ears and off their eyes, plus his style really hadn't been truly explored before as there was no TRUE grappler in Smash AND he is a more modern pick to balance out the oldie-yet-not-moldy heavy fan requests. Now Piranha Plant wasn't really as divisive as people let on: sure, it was an off-the-wall pick that only Sakurai could do, but less people were actually mad and more were just confused. Think about it: without holding onto the Grinch Ruse, is Piranha Plant really a let down? No, not in the slightest, as it's Sakurai magic at it's finest.

Now, before we ever heard of Joker, look at the characters brought back to Ultimate: 18! Six of these are returning vets that most of the fanbase asked for and was excited to see; Eight of these are all characters people were excited about being added into the game with most of them being long-time requests; Four of these were lesser requested and were either more modern picks or Sakurai blessings. That means a whopping 14 of these bad bois were fan picks. Oh, but Ultimate isn't about fan picks, right? It's not focused an fan picks at all, is it? Get RIGHT OUTTA HERE with that mindset, it has NO PLACE in our hype zone baby!

So, that's it right? Incineroar and Piranha Plant, since they weren't big requests, are the end of the road...right? HELL TO THE **** NO! WE NEVER SAW IT COOOOOMIIIIIIIING~!

That's right, ladies and gents, you forgot about our first Challenger Pack, the one, THE ONLY....JOKER from PERSONA 5! A game that has apparently lost it's relevance already yet people love it, a character from a game people can't praise enough and gush all over...but there was NO way in HELL Joker could make it to Smash, right? Persona 5 was too niche despite it's amazing sales! We wouldn't get another JRPG character, and it definitely wouldn't be Joker, right? The man was nowhere on Nintendo's radar, right? YET WHO SHOWED UP AT THE GAME AWARDS WITH A SICK ANIMATED TRAILER AND STOLE NOT ONLY AN INVITATION, BUT ALSO THE WHOLE SHOWS AND THE HEARTS OF THE PEOPLE?! WHO IS THIS MAN CALLED MASSIVE HERO SOCCER GUY?! IS HE A WIZARD?! A GODDAMN DEITY?!

Here is the best part: he has four more reveals to go! Holy **** guys, who the hell are these characters gonna be? It could be literally anyone! It could be Banjo-Kazooie or Geno or Rayman or Bandanna Waddle Dee or Mach Rider or Chorus Kids or Heihachi or Lloyd Irving or Raiden or Scorpion or Sub-Zero or a character from Style Savvy or Master Chief or Ryu Hayabusa or Doom Guy or who even really the **** knows! Hell, Sakurai could go crazy and break more rules we have setup! What if ATs really do get promoted in this pass? What if Sakurai makes Isaac a reality because of the surge in support? What if Goku ACTUALLY happens? We have no idea, because...well, WE HAVE NO IDEA!! Anything is possible with Sakurai at the wheel, yet he always delivers us a wold ride we enjoy...AND WE HAVE MORE CONTENT THAN THE FIGHTER'S PASS! With the additions of returning modes, we may get brand new mode! Hell, we could get more items or stages or even MORE CHARACTERS not even tied to the Fighter's Pass! Sakurai has a team of competent workers, his crazy creative genius, and a SURPLUS of funds. WHO. THE. HELL. KNOWS. WHAT. COULD. HAPPEN!

I have no idea if we will get Geno, but you know what I do know? Sakurai will give us amazing stuff that we will love and he almost always makes the right call, and if he wants something he tends to get it, because who the hell says no to the man the myth the LEGEND Masahiro ****ing Sakurai? According to Reggie, not a single GOT DAYUM one, THAT'S WHO! If Sakurai still wants Geno, we will get Geno, and no PNG with a function or amount of naysayers is gonna stop him from doing it! He knows he's still popular, he knows we want him, and he knows he can make him, and he has the rights to do so as far as we know. Now, we just have to wait and see what happens from here, but we should do so with smiles on our faces and in our hearts and our faith placed in knowing that Sakurai is the man who drains his own HP to cast the magnificent spell that is Smash Bros and that we love him ever the more for it.

Let us all journey down that road together, and hope it leads us to the Star Road, knowing that if it doesn't it will still lead us to something great, speaking of our love for Geno and SMRPG as a whole all the way! And if you need help along the way and think you can't continue or feel like you've lost your way and there is no point, just reach out and I'll take your hand, and so will each and everyone one of us here!

Well put sir, but please settle down before you get a stroke.

Last edited:

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
I can understand @Ovaltine and her need of a break because I'm THIS close to just leaving PapaGeno's server altogether because it's just so insanely Erdrick-riding and toxic besides. Multiple people have brought up the issues with this and nothing has been done, leaving people to their own devices which is, ironically enough leaving the server and making up new ones that house mostly the same good people from Papa's server. The sad part is all these toxic fakers put on smiley friendly faces to newcomers and to Papa when he join in the speculation, but when he leaves and the new people acclimate they get treated the same way. Unfortunately Papa can't do much as he's busy with his content and his staff isn't taking care of the issue despite that being their job.

I've basically given up trying to debate there and am actively finding people there who are getting sick of it and letting them get a reprieve in our server where they can actually debate with people who are respectful.

Outside of this, I'm also sick and tired of people who think Erdrick is a lock because of talking points. How many times does it have to be said that these points are not evidence to his inclusion, merely talking points about his possibility just like EVERY. OTHER. CHARACTER! Jesus, people really are so naive and hard-headed. Still, there is no reason to give up. If you need a break, sure, go for it, but things aren't really bad for Geno. His chances are better than ever and...

My god, you couldn't be more in the opposite direction. Seriously, do I need to go over again how most of the character inclusions were fan-based? DO MY FELLOW GENO BROS AND GALS NEED PUMPED UP AGAIN! BECAUSE I AM READY AND RARING TO GO TODAY! WOOOOOOOOHHHHHHOOOOOOOO~!

Alright, so look at all the returning vets with Ice Climbers, Pichu, Young Link, Pokemon Trainer, Snake and Wolf. In most mock polls, guess who placed highly? Snake, Wolf, and Ice Climbers with the rest of the veterans placing high as well though not quite as high as these three. Mewtwo was the biggest request and was brought back along with Lucas and Roy who also had tons of fan demand, and not only did they come back a game earlier but were still here for Ultimate. Don't forget now that EVERY SINGLE RETURNING VETERAN is fan pick which will likely never happen again in the history of Smash. Thus, for Ultimate alone, that is 6 fan picks right off the bat. Now, let's look at newcomers.

One of the biggest complaints was that Inkling and K. Rool were costumes when fans wanted both Inkling and K. Rool in the game as playable, and the first reveal was Inkling who was very much clamored for since Splatoon is a splash hit (pun intended) and everyone loves our lil' squid bois and gurls. Daisy has been requested for Smash for a very long time and Ridley for longer still despite how Ridley kept showing up as anything but playable. Then we get Simon, who has been requested for a long time as well even if his support wasn't as strong as others and we get Richter as a Japanese bonus. Chrom was complained about not being playable over Smash 4's lifespan and Dark Samus had some support (mainly as a Western-made character) that then skyrocketed once echo fighters were announced. Then, BIG BOI THICC BOI KING K. ROOL! Like, we got Ridley AND King K. Rool, two of the biggest of biggums! There was no way we could get that many fan requests, right? But it happened, and we were hype!

Now the last four are what I call The Questionable Four: where these characters REALLY requested? Here's the kicker: it doesn't matter! We all agree that a balance between fan requests, modern picks and Sakurai's creative genius is the formula that keeps Smash as dope as it is. Isabelle may not have been on the general radar but she has a fan base and is more modern compared to other picks, so her announcement with AC for Switch was brilliant. Ken is an auto-include when Richter confirmed 3rd-party echoes, and Ken is loved more than Ryu! Incineroar is more popular than everyone gives him credit for and is loved by the community once they got the Grinch Turd out of their ears and off their eyes, plus his style really hadn't been truly explored before as there was no TRUE grappler in Smash AND he is a more modern pick to balance out the oldie-yet-not-moldy heavy fan requests. Now Piranha Plant wasn't really as divisive as people let on: sure, it was an off-the-wall pick that only Sakurai could do, but less people were actually mad and more were just confused. Think about it: without holding onto the Grinch Ruse, is Piranha Plant really a let down? No, not in the slightest, as it's Sakurai magic at it's finest.

Now, before we ever heard of Joker, look at the characters brought back to Ultimate: 18! Six of these are returning vets that most of the fanbase asked for and was excited to see; Eight of these are all characters people were excited about being added into the game with most of them being long-time requests; Four of these were lesser requested and were either more modern picks or Sakurai blessings. That means a whopping 14 of these bad bois were fan picks. Oh, but Ultimate isn't about fan picks, right? It's not focused an fan picks at all, is it? Get RIGHT OUTTA HERE with that mindset, it has NO PLACE in our hype zone baby!

So, that's it right? Incineroar and Piranha Plant, since they weren't big requests, are the end of the road...right? HELL TO THE **** NO! WE NEVER SAW IT COOOOOMIIIIIIIING~!

That's right, ladies and gents, you forgot about our first Challenger Pack, the one, THE ONLY....JOKER from PERSONA 5! A game that has apparently lost it's relevance already yet people love it, a character from a game people can't praise enough and gush all over...but there was NO way in HELL Joker could make it to Smash, right? Persona 5 was too niche despite it's amazing sales! We wouldn't get another JRPG character, and it definitely wouldn't be Joker, right? The man was nowhere on Nintendo's radar, right? YET WHO SHOWED UP AT THE GAME AWARDS WITH A SICK ANIMATED TRAILER AND STOLE NOT ONLY AN INVITATION, BUT ALSO THE WHOLE SHOWS AND THE HEARTS OF THE PEOPLE?! WHO IS THIS MAN CALLED MASSIVE HERO SOCCER GUY?! IS HE A WIZARD?! A GODDAMN DEITY?!

Here is the best part: he has four more reveals to go! Holy **** guys, who the hell are these characters gonna be? It could be literally anyone! It could be Banjo-Kazooie or Geno or Rayman or Bandanna Waddle Dee or Mach Rider or Chorus Kids or Heihachi or Lloyd Irving or Raiden or Scorpion or Sub-Zero or a character from Style Savvy or Master Chief or Ryu Hayabusa or Doom Guy or who even really the **** knows! Hell, Sakurai could go crazy and break more rules we have setup! What if ATs really do get promoted in this pass? What if Sakurai makes Isaac a reality because of the surge in support? What if Goku ACTUALLY happens? We have no idea, because...well, WE HAVE NO IDEA!! Anything is possible with Sakurai at the wheel, yet he always delivers us a wold ride we enjoy...AND WE HAVE MORE CONTENT THAN THE FIGHTER'S PASS! With the additions of returning modes, we may get brand new mode! Hell, we could get more items or stages or even MORE CHARACTERS not even tied to the Fighter's Pass! Sakurai has a team of competent workers, his crazy creative genius, and a SURPLUS of funds. WHO. THE. HELL. KNOWS. WHAT. COULD. HAPPEN!

I have no idea if we will get Geno, but you know what I do know? Sakurai will give us amazing stuff that we will love and he almost always makes the right call, and if he wants something he tends to get it, because who the hell says no to the man the myth the LEGEND Masahiro ****ing Sakurai? According to Reggie, not a single GOT DAYUM one, THAT'S WHO! If Sakurai still wants Geno, we will get Geno, and no PNG with a function or amount of naysayers is gonna stop him from doing it! He knows he's still popular, he knows we want him, and he knows he can make him, and he has the rights to do so as far as we know. Now, we just have to wait and see what happens from here, but we should do so with smiles on our faces and in our hearts and our faith placed in knowing that Sakurai is the man who drains his own HP to cast the magnificent spell that is Smash Bros and that we love him ever the more for it.

Let us all journey down that road together, and hope it leads us to the Star Road, knowing that if it doesn't it will still lead us to something great, speaking of our love for Geno and SMRPG as a whole all the way! And if you need help along the way and think you can't continue or feel like you've lost your way and there is no point, just reach out and I'll take your hand, and so will each and everyone one of us here!

Thank you kindly great human, your benevolence and optimism has been sorely needed in my current mindset regarding this game. My sincerest gratitude

D

Deleted member

I'm just going to be honest here for a sec. I won't mind an outcome where Erdrick has nothing to do with Ultimate in the slightest. Not only will all the "Erdrick is a lock!" people back off, but it will make them realize how much time they wasted talking about a character they thought was 100% in. I only say this mean-sounding stuff because majority of these people are mean af. I said majority, not all.
I get this attitude, but it doesn't make a character's inclusion less cool for the fans who actually Erdrick in. Come on man. I don't mean to antagonize you but no one in the Erdrick thread is saying this about Geno even though everyone there has had at least one terrible experience with an overzealous and rude Geno supporter. We'd be hyped or indifferent about Geno but would never want Geno not included because of that one asshole. The assholes are not the majority, I assure you. Unfortunately, the majority is in Japan LOL.

IIRC this reminds me of the Grinch leak because there was a hype roster but no one was in the mood to debate against it unless they were ready to type an essay. As a result the Grinch supporters had the anti-supporters purely because supporters were more vocal and some were jerks.

Wish both sides could discuss harmoniously because I don't doubt there are jerk Erdrick fans in Papagenos discord for example.

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
IIRC this reminds me of the Grinch leak because there was a hype roster but no one was in the mood to debate against it unless they were ready to type an essay. As a result the Grinch supporters had the anti-supporters purely because supporters were more vocal and some were jerks.
Exactly. Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it. It just happens a lot faster for Smash speculation...

This time it's the exact opposite situation, people WANT to be disappointed, and discourage anyone that wants to remotely be cautiously optimistic.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Exactly. Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it. It just happens a lot faster for Smash speculation...
Yeah. I agree. My point with that is just a character should overshadow the people who are less than pleasant about it, because the Grinch leak was my ideal roster at the time. I wouldn't want people to wish it's wrong to BTFO people, because that's the same thing people here criticized the jerk Erdrick supporters of doing.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah. I agree. My point with that is just a character should overshadow the people who are less than pleasant about it, because the Grinch leak was my ideal roster at the time. I wouldn't want people to wish it's wrong to BTFO people, because that's the same thing people here criticized jerk-Erdrick supporters of doing.
Me, I simply just want people to be pleasantly surprised. Sure, it would suck not to have any DQ content this time (especially given current views of SE's Square side), but it would encourage fans to actually campaign for it more seriously in the future.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Me, I simply just want people to be pleasantly surprised. Sure, it would suck not to have any DQ content this time (especially given current views of SE's Square side), but it would encourage fans to actually campaign for it more seriously in the future.
I disagree. I think the reality is that we can't surprise ourselves anymore with Smash Bros with exceptions here and there. Smash 4 had Gematsu and Smash Ultimate had Vergeben's infamous streak. Some outliers like Robin, K. Rool, and Joker can happen, but I'm at a point where the fun is seeing how it looks and moves in action. Might just be preference at the end of the day.

MattX20

Smash Hero

I always appreciate these posts. They help keep my optimism and hope for Geno alive and well and are often well reasoned/researched. Thanks, Forsaken!

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Yeah. I agree. My point with that is just a character should overshadow the people who are less than pleasant about it, because the Grinch leak was my ideal roster at the time. I wouldn't want people to wish it's wrong to BTFO people, because that's the same thing people here criticized the jerk Erdrick supporters of doing.
I was a definite believer in the Grinch leak, but was prepared for it to be wrong, so I didn't get burned by its disconfirmation.

On a different note, however, I was confused by one major thing: it was in regards to the matter of that Gundam-thing model Sakurai bought to get access to the rifle it came with in order to use said rifle for his "current project", with we all know now was Smash. The Grinch leak showed that Mach Rider would've been the recipient of that rifle purchase, but with the Grinch leak being fake... the heck did Sakurai use that model rifle for?!

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I was a definite believer in the Grinch leak, but was prepared for it to be wrong, so I didn't get burned by its disconfirmation.

On a different note, however, I was confused by one major thing: it was in regards to the matter of that Gundam-thing model Sakurai bought to get access to the rifle it came with in order to use said rifle for his "current project", with we all know now was Smash. The Grinch leak showed that Mach Rider would've been the recipient of that rifle purchase, but with the Grinch leak being fake... the heck did Sakurai use that model rifle for?!
The Vifam rifle is still unknown as to what it was used for. Nothing in the game really matches it or its functionality

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I don’t think you can really say it maps to the Grinch leak though. I know lots of people believed Grinch for such and such. But it was always unreasonable on the premise that it required a blow-out or characters to even work directly opposing Sakurai’s own comments on the matter. That damned leak was super problematic from the start on that reality

Erdrick would just be one character of the Fighter’s Pass. There’s very little there as inherently unreasonable in getting a DQ character. That’s a single character prediction, not an additional seven in a perfect roster scenario.

Also, worth noting, the same insider community that denied Grinch is a lot more open to Erdrick. Regardless of their reliability, I think that’s what we see here.

People didn’t listen to leakers before and got seriously burned for it. I wouldn’t fault anyone for just giving up and listening to leakers after that if you were THAT spun around idealistic rosters. I know the Erdrick belief gets hate around here for obvious reasons, and some people can be exceptionally ****ty about it (though all fandoms have that element, Erdrick is just the most recent flavor in that regard), but I’d say there’s a decent number of people who are just convinced or disenfranchised after how things played out. I don’t think a solution to that problem is to have a BTFO moment.

And honestly Dragon Quest does deserve to be in Smash. Not over anything or Geno, but the series does deserve to be in and the more tribal rejection of the series I’ve seen in places doesn’t really help anyone.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I don't know about PapaGeno's server or other Smash communities, but most Erdrick or DQ fans I've seen on Smashboards atleast seem chill and alright.

D

Deleted member

I get this attitude, but it doesn't make a character's inclusion less cool for the fans who actually Erdrick in. Come on man. I don't mean to antagonize you but no one in the Erdrick thread is saying this about Geno even though everyone there has had at least one terrible experience with an overzealous and rude Geno supporter. We'd be hyped or indifferent about Geno but would never want Geno not included because of that one *******. The ******** are not the majority, I assure you. Unfortunately, the majority is in Japan LOL.

Wish both sides could discuss harmoniously because I don't doubt there are jerk Erdrick fans in Papagenos discord for example.
We are moreso talking about the majority of the Smash community rather than Erdrick's fans specifically. Comparing it to Geno doesn't really work because you are talking about an issue with Geno fans. Once again, we are talking about the majority of the Smash community and how they get heated just when someone says it's possible he isn't in, not Erdrick's actual fans.

D

Deleted member

We are moreso talking about the majority of the Smash community rather than Erdrick's fans specifically. Comparing it to Geno doesn't really work because you are talking about an issue with Geno fans. Once again, we are talking about the majority of the Smash community and how they get heated just when someone says it's possible he isn't in, not Erdrick's actual fans.
Ah. I get what you're saying. Nevermind me then.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The Vifam rifle is still unknown as to what it was used for. Nothing in the game really matches it or its functionality
Evidently, Sakurai needed an excuse so that he wouldn't be scolded for buying a new fig for his collection. :4pacman:

I don’t think you can really say it maps to the Grinch leak though. I know lots of people believed Grinch for such and such. But it was always unreasonable on the premise that it required a blow-out or characters to even work directly opposing Sakurai’s own comments on the matter. That damned leak was super problematic from the start on that reality

Erdrick would just be one character of the Fighter’s Pass. There’s very little there as inherently unreasonable in getting a DQ character. That’s a single character prediction, not an additional seven in a perfect roster scenario.

Also, worth noting, the same insider community that denied Grinch is a lot more open to Erdrick. Regardless of their reliability, I think that’s what we see here.

People didn’t listen to leakers before and got seriously burned for it. I wouldn’t fault anyone for just giving up and listening to leakers after that if you were THAT spun around idealistic rosters. I know the Erdrick belief gets hate around here for obvious reasons, and some people can be exceptionally ****ty about it (though all fandoms have that element, Erdrick is just the most recent flavor in that regard), but I’d say there’s a decent number of people who are just convinced or disenfranchised after how things played out. I don’t think a solution to that problem is to have a BTFO moment.

And honestly Dragon Quest does deserve to be in Smash. Not over anything or Geno, but the series does deserve to be in and the more tribal rejection of the series I’ve seen in places doesn’t really help anyone.
I think the issue with DQ is that there isn't that one character everyone rallies behind to get in. Slime? Jessica? That merchant Torneko? It's not really an unified consensus compared to FF fans settling for other FFVII characters.

Also, what if leakers end up being wrong about Erdrick? People already lost faith over Vergeben after his sources' February Direct leaks ended up being wrong.

What I'm saying is, people have to be open to any possibility. So your character doesn't get in, no big deal, just campaign with doubled effort so it can happen next time. Don't mock the "losers", when it's not even supposed to be a competition in the first place. Besides, I doubt that places like Gamefaqs will listen to reason regardless...

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I think the issue with DQ is that there isn't that one character everyone rallies behind to get in. Slime? Jessica? That merchant Torneko? It's not really an unified consensus compared to FF fans settling for other FFVII characters.

Also, what if leakers end up being wrong about Erdrick? People already lost faith over Vergeben after his sources' February Direct leaks ended up being wrong.

What I'm saying is, people have to be open to any possibility. So your character doesn't get in, no big deal, just campaign with doubled effort so it can happen next time. Don't mock the "losers", when it's not even supposed to be a competition in the first place. Besides, I doubt that places like Gamefaqs will listen to reason regardless...
I think Sakurai knows enough to pick certain characters like Erdrick if he includes Dragon Quest. Most of us are too far removed from Japan to really be able to say much even half-conclusive about the popularity of the idea of it in Smash. And I also stand by Dragon Quest’s legacy and overall popularity as a franchise with history on Nintendo would just make it an ideal series to include, especially as Sakurai enjoys the series. He’d pick the rep that most fits his vision of the game’s sort of like he went with Simon over Alucard for Castlevania. I don’t think a specific rep not having enough support is much of an issue. As I mentioned in the past I take issue with us only getting fan requests as well, so Dragon Quest may be the more personal/game expanding pick if it was to be included and I don’t see issue with that.

And of course the leakers can be wrong about it all. I was just saying that I suspect several people are burnt out and may have a tendency to just put their faith there and leave it at that.

The Smash community latching on to a specific idea or “leak” or whatever, again, just always happens. Erdrick is just this recent flavor with nothing else character wise even on the horizon. I don’t think the community should necessarily be treated any differently than normal for latching on to something like has historically happened. It’s always dumb, but it’s par for the course. Sometimes it’s right, sometimes it’s wrong. I understand the frustrations around those assumptions, but we’re a super hyperbolic community that buys into LOTS of stuff on average.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I... really just don't want to deal with the aftermath of all the Erdrick bandwagoners acting all smug and Superior if they are right. I really can't go through another Grinch leak aftermath

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I... really just don't want to deal with the aftermath of all the Erdrick bandwagoners acting all smug and Superior if they are right. I really can't go through another Grinch leak aftermath
Just don’t engage with that sort of behavior and don’t stoop to their levels for any reason, even if you wanna scream victory if Geno gets in.

And if it is Erdrick and they do scream, just take comfort in the fact that you approached the situation rationally and considered possibilities rather than blindly believing in what certain people told you. If you approached the situation with a critical eye and didn’t double down on something from emotion, then you’ve done nothing wrong and can have that personal satisfaction from it.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'd rather have people acting smug and superior after being proven right than people doing so before they're even proven right.

D

Deleted member

Worst case scenario, if other Erdrick fans come into this thread and try to brag about the subject, I'll gladly tell them to **** off. Or at least report them. Depending on my mood.

Also what EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman said. Better to just be honest about how you see the situation and just support who you want instead of taking sides in a ****-flinging contest. That way, at least you can just sort of watch and question why people are even bothering.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Better to just be honest about how you see the situation and just support who you want instead of taking sides in a ****-flinging contest. That way, at least you can just sort of watch and question why people are even bothering.
That's me.

Besides, if whoever you want gets in, it's better to just stick in the thread of the newcomer for safety and stay there until things blow over, that's what I did when Joker got announced.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Screw 1000 pages, we're gonna make 2000 by the time the DLC speculation ends
****! That's dedication if I ever saw it. We should at least try to surpass the Smash 4 K. Rool thread which had 1233 pages, but I don't know if we can reach 2000 pages before Geno's fate is sealed.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but I just found out that there is a Rawest Forest Reanimated video in the works:
https://twitter.com/RFReanimated/status/1101941587318398977

Looks cool as hell! Hopefully it'll get some more eyes on Mario RPG once it comes out.
No way! The Rawest Forest song from back then is what got me into playing Super Mario RPG, also with the help of chuggaaconroy's SMRPG Let's Play!

I can't wait to see it! <3

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Hard same.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Acting smug and superior over a fighting game roster is super childish. You can't stop people behaving in ****ty ways, so I try to respond to the rampant toxicity in the Smash fanbase with kindness and a "may the best man win" attitude. If someone wants to brag to me that my character lost to their character, I couldn't give less of a **** lmao. Good for them.

I definitely agree though, a scenario where all the smug leakers get BTFO'd would be sweet, and make the speculation conversation a lot less monotonous than the typical "Erdrick and Steve xoxo" state it currently is.

If I didn't have "leaks" and "insiders" to go by, I'd say Phoenix Wright, Rayman, Elma and Geno are some of the front runners for DLC.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
GUYS GUYs GUYS GUYS GUYS!

So I can't tell you if this is 100%, because I don't know how credible Mizumi is, but everyone else is freaking out so I figured I might as well share this.

https://mobile.twitter.com/_Mizumi/status/1105556358781419524

So, apparently Mizumi datamined the game yet again and found that WoL has 16 slots or w/e the **** they are called. Anyway, out of all the slots filled up by characters, there were 16 slots and our boi repping Plant Gang took up one of those slots. So, first off, everyone character released will be playable in WoL, so that's cool.

Secondly...

IF THIS IS TRUE IT MEANS WE ARE GETTING 14 MORE CHARACTERS FOR DLC, MEANING WE COULD BE SEEING EITHER MULTIPLE FIGHTER PASSES OR JUST RAW SINGLE DLC!

In the words of a friend of mine, 'the characters wars are essentially over!'

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman

So I can't tell you if this is 100%, because I don't know how credible Mizumi is, but everyone else is freaking out so I figured I might as well share this.

So, apparently Mizumi datamined the game yet again and found that WoL has 16 slots or w/e the **** they are called. Anyway, out of all the slots filled up by characters, there were 16 slots and our boi repping Plant Gang took up one of those slots. So, first off, everyone character released will be playable in WoL, so that's cool.

Secondly...

IF THIS IS TRUE IT MEANS WE ARE GETTING 14 MORE CHARACTERS FOR DLC, MEANING WE COULD BE SEEING EITHER MULTIPLE FIGHTER PASSES OR JUST RAW SINGLE DLC!

I hope to god you're right and I hope to god Dixie, Banjo and Geno make it eventually.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

Secondly...

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this could also imply a new area on the map, with potential new bosses, as speculated previously. Assuming we're getting 16 characters is pretty far-fetched. Although it is funny how it falls in line with exactly 3 fighter passes. But I digress. These files could very well be open for new objects on the map.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I am almost positive that alternate model skins for characters take a "fighter slot". We might be getting characters that have multiple model swaps. And IIRC smash 4 also had a lot of extra fighter slots. So don't take this as meaning anything just yet.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Secondly...

There's also 30 unused character slots, so this really changes nothing. Bear in mind they could simply be left unused (iirc happened with Sm4sh).

That said, 16 is more realistic than 30, so that's good for the theory. Dunno how I feel about it, personally; here's hoping a hypothetical second and third season are more based on fan demand, 'cause I really don't want more of the same.

If you guys could choose a final 14 characters to add to the roster, who would they be?
Ooo I'll bite. (I'm going with a nothing disconfirms for the ten new characters)

Piranha Plant
Joker
Sora
Banjo-Kazooie
Lloyd Irving
Phoenix Wright
Geno
Dixie Kong
Isaac
Bandanna Dee
Waluigi
Spring Man
Rex & Pyra
Shadow
Chorus Kids
Mach Rider

There's a reasoning to this selection. For the remainder of the first season, I'm going with all third parties and Spirits disconfirm. Sora is announced in April to cash in on KHIII hype (and maybe a port of 3 itself or the Story So Far). E3 brings Banjo as the showstopper (perhaps with an announcement of Nintendo and Microsoft working together on... something). Then the (subjectively) less hype picks to end: Lloyd and PW.

Next season of DLC opens with Geno to show they ain't kidding. Dixie follows, with Isaac as the big E3 guy (showing ATs can be playable). Contrary to expectation, this season ends with a bang (Dee and Waluigi are very big guns).

Next season is the 'sorry about November 1st' pack: it completes the Grinch gang and gets Spring Man and Rex the roles they were destined for.

(Runner ups were Captain Toad, Lyn, Ashley and Skull Kid)

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If you guys could choose a final 14 characters to add to the roster, who would they be?
In no particular order... (I'm assuming that spirits don't rule characters out, but assist trophies do)

1. Geno (duh)
2. Banjo-Kazooie (assuming that they are or will be options)
3. Elma
4. Bandanna Waddle Dee
5. Rex/Pyra/Mythra (assuming that, if we get more than one season pass, Xenoblade 2 characters will be eligible in later ones)
6. Dante from the Devil May Cry series
7. Doomguy
8. Erdrick (Dragon Quest)
9. Heihachi Mishima
10. Wonder Red (The Wonderful 101)
11. Impa
12. Dixie Kong
13. Rayman
14. Terry Bogard (Fatal Fury/The King of Fighters) (I'd also be fine with Geese Howard as a less PREDICTABLE option)

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
In no particular order... (I'm assuming that spirits don't rule characters out, but assist trophies do)

1. Geno (duh)
2. Banjo-Kazooie (assuming that they are or will be options)
3. Elma
4. Bandanna Waddle Dee
5. Rex/Pyra/Mythra (assuming that, if we get more than one season pass, Xenoblade 2 characters will be eligible in later ones)
6. Dante from the Devil May Cry series
7. Doomguy
8. Erdrick (Dragon Quest)
9. Heihachi Mishima
10. Wonder Red (The Wonderful 101)
11. Impa
12. Dixie Kong
13. Rayman
14. Terry Bogard (Fatal Fury/The King of Fighters)
I'd be ok with this.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I doubt that the 16 empty slots mean much. They aren't required to use them.

I hope they use them, but we'll have to see. My hope is that after their big five we get a selection of fan requests.

D

Deleted member

1. Geno
2. Ninten
3. Isaac
4. Conker
5. Banjo
6. Crono
7. Elma
8. Shantae
9. Rayman
10. Phoenix Wright
11. Lloyd
12. Bandana Dee
13. Duster
14. Mallow

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
May as well answer my own question

My most wanted 14 characters for DLC:

1. Dixie Kong
2. Banjo Kazooie
3. Geno
4. Balloon Fighter
5. Rayman
6. Tails
7. Aiai
8. Tetra
9. Team Rocket (Meowth, Arbok and Weezing)
10. Crash Bandicoot
11. Knuckles
12. Captain Toad
13. Shantae
14. Kamek

D

Deleted member

(I'm Assuming after Season 1 it's fair game)

1. Geno (obviously, cause he's the best).
2. Banjo-Kazooie
3. Dixie
4. Erdrick

1. Isaac
2. Duster/Porky/Ninten (Rooting for Duster personally but the most likely rep are the latter two)
3. Jill Valentine (She's an Iconic character from an Iconic horror franchise being Resident Evil. I think she could work)
4. Rex/Pyra or Elma
5. Skull Kid
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1. Rayman
2. Lloyd Irving
3. Bandana Waddle Dee
4. Doom Guy
5. Waluigi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom