• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Did you guys ever get your copy of Super Mario RPG new or used? In my case, it was a used copy I got for about $50 at the time from a store called Last Stop CD Shop in Marshall.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
Did you guys ever get your copy of Super Mario RPG new or used? In my case, it was a used copy I got for about $50 at the time from a store called Last Stop CD Shop in Marshall.
same! Got a used copy with a box but no book from Playmania in London, ON, Canada for $59.99 in 2005. My older brother used to rent it in the late 90s. He shared the same affinity for Geno as I did, but didn’t care for Peach or Mallow... yes he was maining Mario, Geno, and Bowser. Don’t ask me how.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Pronouncing G as an H (or "J" in some languages) is understandable, but I've never heard a G as a Y before.
...not that I'm judging or anything! I could remind everyone that I used to see Geno's ribbons as his eyes/nose and his actual eye as teeth... I kid you not, I absolutely used to see this as a kid:
View attachment 264019

(If someone who is an actual artist wants to give this a try, feel free. I can't draw for crap)

But like, he actually looks cool, like he was grinning, instead of a nerd like how I drew him; the eye-ribbons kinda looked like shades of some sort. Idk wtf I saw; reminds me of the LTTP thing where everyone saw Agahnim as some silly lookin' dude with green hair (which I also saw sometimes).
Honestly, looking at your outline made me think of Mung Daal, but reading your description, I figured maybe you saw him as some kind of really odd super hero type guy. I'm not an "actual artist", but I am a man with a mouse. I dub him... GENO MAN
genoman.png

He has a hotdog for a nose.

Here's a question: if rumors are true about PM3 and/or PM64 remake then should we worry that a different Mario RPG character would be the pick instead of Geno? Particularly I'm thinking of Paper Mario here obviously. Paper Mario has his fans as well and while the fanbase may not be as sizeable or as long standing, Paper Mario has been featured in more games and as the playable protagonist and would be a promotional pick in this instance which we know Nintendo loves. I feel like Geno is still the better choice here due to being a long standing big fan request and being very different from other characters (even though PM would have plenty to differentiate himself with as well), but obviously I am biased in that regard.

And others have mentioned Waluigi as possible as well and even though he's not an RPG character he's still a major request from Mario games for Smash and would still make sense if he was chosen to be revealed in a direct around Mario Day (should that actually occur). While I have healthy respect for Geno's SE competition, I think I'm more worried about his Marioverse competition. They could make 2+ more fighters passes with all Mario characters and I'd likely buy every single character because Mario has so many loveable characters.

I know Banjo proved that Nintendo is not totally deaf to fan demand, but Byleth also proved they will blatantly ignore it to promote their games. I just hope Nintendo makes the right call. I trust Sakurai's ability to make incredibly diverse characters, but I still don't trust Nintendo's ability to consistently deliver with sensible character choices. Then again, while FP1 was not for me, I do immensely respect the first 4 characters chosen. Despite liking FE3H a lot, I just can't support Byleth's inclusion for so many well known reasons and I guess that combined with the fact that FP1 was full of a lot of unexpected characters, I'm just unsure of what Nintendo will do next like always.
I think the easiest answer here is to go back to how "Nintendo chose the DLC" somehow got us Terry. Would the corporation who not only thinks it's totally ok to shill the latest starter Pokemon in a platform party fighting game, but who reserves a spot for them really ever pick Terry Bogard? Terry isn't even really the face of King of Fighters at this point, a designation I believe belongs to Kyo. Sakurai has some kind of say in this mess, no matter how much he plays down his importance in the process.

It's reckless to say this after the Byleth situation, but I think that we give Nintendo too little credit. If Fatman's sources have good intel, Nintendo was legitimately worried that they made a bad pick with Banjo and while they had their fears assuaged almost immediately, it seems like if Nintendo picking the characters meant nothing but sure thing advertisement characters, fear that Banjo is a meme pick would have stopped him before they even opened negotiations with a competitor. And I know he's technically a shill rep, but at least they had the decency to hold off on Byleth until well after Fire Emblem released - we didn't get another Roy and Corrin situation... I can't tell you how many times during the DLC that I was absolutely certain they'd missed their window to give us a Fire Emblem shill, so I have to give them credit for being tactful about it, at least.

I do get where you're coming from, though. It's hard to say if Geno would please the fans more than, say, Paper Mario, who has ranked high in fan polls since Brawl. They wouldn't have to deal with Square to use him, but they do have to consider the way the fans react to characters like Dr. Mario and the three Links we have. I've said it before and Sakurai confirmed for me that with the DLC characters, Sakurai wants new, interesting mechanics. Even Byleth brought something different with their tether recovery that works opposite to Joker's, in a way, but I have to admit that Byleth's "new" mechanics are very surface level, certainly the weakest out of the bunch, even compared to Banjo. Obviously, Paper Mario could come with all sorts of mechanics inspired by the games, but I believe Sakurai really works hard to pinpoint mechanics that don't interrupt the flow of Smash too much - a huge part of one of the directs was that [most] Final Smashes had been changed to be flashy and get right to the point, so I think the design philosophy of Ultimate is very obviously to be fast paced, even when things have to slow down. Paper Mario's action commands would be interesting, but detrimental to him as a character, and his other defining feature is being made of paper... Which I just don't know how well that would translate to Smash given this philosophy. Hey, I'm not in charge.

Overall, I think it is tempting to be wary of other Mario reps, but I also think that Nintendo is 100% willing to just put whatever they want in a DLC season. If Fighter Pass 2 turned out to be 6 Mario characters, it'd be a Nintendo thing to do. I don't think it's gonna happen, but I don't think Nintendo has any qualms with the idea.

I’m starting to wonder if Nintendo has been holding off on a Direct on account of the coronavirus dominating the news. Maybe they are worried that their announcements will be overshadowed in the media by the extensive coverage of the virus? Maybe they originally had one planned for mid-February..

or maybe I’m just silly.
It's certainly a possibility, but I think it's a small one. I mean, I doubt they'd really be competing for headline space against the coronavirus on the sites that actually cover gaming news, and I don't think I've ever seen Nintendo announce anything that made headlines in the real global news.

Honestly if you pay any attention at all to the news, coronavirus is now competing against itself - I suppose now that they've exhausted every clickbait title to describe how the number of infected goes up by ~1000 a day globally, the new headline is how it's affecting the global economy. If anything it's a great time to announce video games, since schools are soon to close in Japan and entertainment is typically big in times like these - like the movie boom in the depression. With a contagious virus though, I imagine video games would be even more popular because you can stay home.

Brand spanking new Christmas of 1996. I still have the manual but the box was discarded in an unfortunate accident that has haunted me for literally 20 years. I really want a replacement box but I'm in a situation where I can't justify spending the money to get a genuine one.

Heoj

Smash Ace
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1233142550334255110

So in this recent ign video game character voting poll thing, its basically a vote with over 300 video game characters and you vote between two random characters which one you prefer, and after about 2 minutes of me doing it i actually encountered Geno as a participant.
Just something cool to think about.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Honestly, looking at your outline made me think of Mung Daal, but reading your description, I figured maybe you saw him as some kind of really odd super hero type guy. I'm not an "actual artist", but I am a man with a mouse. I dub him... GENO MAN

He has a hotdog for a nose.
I would say a fatter nose than a longer one but outside of that, it's quite accurate. Well done! xD

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I got my copy as a birthday present in 1996 (but it may or may not have had anything to do with me gushing to my Dad about it when we were shopping in a Best Buy).

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
While I loved SMRPG, I never was the hugest Geno fan particularly, but I'm really hoping he ends up showing up as DLC. I think he has decent chances, honestly, my only concern is how much Square and Nintendo want his character to resurface. Fingers crossed for everyone here!

Oh, and I got SMRPG new the year it came out. I think from an Electronics Boutique, when those things still existed!

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
While I loved SMRPG, I never was the hugest Geno fan particularly, but I'm really hoping he ends up showing up as DLC. I think he has decent chances, honestly, my only concern is how much Square and Nintendo want his character to resurface. Fingers crossed for everyone here!

Oh, and I got SMRPG new the year it came out. I think from an Electronics Boutique, when those things still existed!
Quite a lot of game stores fell to the wayside sadly

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Something to consider is that we got Banjo-Kazooie, and apparently it was the Smash team who went to Microsoft according to that recent news. Also remember they did add the Belmonts because of "how well they did on the poll". There's no way Nintendo, and especially Sakurai, aren't aware of the fan demand for Geno. It would be like 99.9% Square who has the issues, and maybe 0.1% Nintendo. I truly believe Sakurai has a lot more pull than he lets on, Nintendo just has the final word on characters (that can feasibly be designed), so Sakurai has told us that "they pick the DLC".

Quite a lot of game stores fell to the wayside sadly
I feel like if they all kept up, many of them would have just become Gamestop eventually, and one Gamestop is cancer enough on the industry. It's not like you particularly need a specialized store for it when I'd argue the majority of games purchased are the newest titles in the last year, popular titles of this generation, and bargin bin discounted games (usually shovelware) that parents who don't know the quality of video games love to go for, because why buy a $60 title when a $10 one is just as good, right? "A video game's a video game" in some peoples' eyes. Sure Gamestop has a wider selection and the previous gen's games too, but if you really want those games, you could find them online too.

If Gamestop wanted to really keep up and not just be toxic garbage, they should sell reproduction carts or something of much older, still popular, titles such as SNES games. Many of which should also be avail in Japanese, as Speedrunners tend to use Japanese games as they're quicker to progress through text and usually are 1.0 versions of games with all the bugs. Better than dealing with eBay and used carts, which being old AF are likely to fail if improperly taken care of.

Man I went on quite the tangent here, but it's true. **** Gamestop.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I feel like if they all kept up, many of them would have just become Gamestop eventually, and one Gamestop is cancer enough on the industry. It's not like you particularly need a specialized store for it when I'd argue the majority of games purchased are the newest titles in the last year, popular titles of this generation, and bargin bin discounted games (usually shovelware) that parents who don't know the quality of video games love to go for, because why buy a $60 title when a $10 one is just as good, right? "A video game's a video game" in some peoples' eyes.
Well, seeing as how Electronics Boutique became EB Games and was later acquired by GameStop... you're right, it did eventually become GameStop!

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Well, seeing as how Electronics Boutique became EB Games and was later acquired by GameStop... you're right, it did eventually become GameStop!
I was technically correct while totally forgetting that I was correct all along. But you get what I mean, we'd just have more toxic leeches on the industry. GS is bad enough.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Ohhh so geno was actually jimmy durante?

Brownie points if you know who that was without googling.
Lol sorry. I'm a '91 baby but I was so sheltered I'm practically a zoomer instead of a millennial. TBH though I barely know actors, singers, and other famous people I'm *supposed* to know, so someone from pre-1900s has no chance. Being on the spectrum is a *****.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Mine was used. My cousins gave me and my brother a hand-me-down SNES with a bunch of games when I was about six, and from what I recall, Super Mario RPG was among them. (I don't think we bought any SNES games new)

I feel like if they all kept up, many of them would have just become Gamestop eventually, and one Gamestop is cancer enough on the industry. It's not like you particularly need a specialized store for it when I'd argue the majority of games purchased are the newest titles in the last year, popular titles of this generation, and bargin bin discounted games (usually shovelware) that parents who don't know the quality of video games love to go for, because why buy a $60 title when a $10 one is just as good, right? "A video game's a video game" in some peoples' eyes. Sure Gamestop has a wider selection and the previous gen's games too, but if you really want those games, you could find them online too.
It has its advantages. Maybe it's different in Canada, but I found Metal Gear Solid 4 and the Last of Us for about $10 each at my local EB Games.

I'm never going to trade in games there, though. I remember trading in some games like Zombies Ate My Neighbours back when I was younger, and only getting a few bucks for them. Thank goodness for it being on the Wii's Virtual Console when that was around, because the physical version is surprisingly expensive.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Ohhh so geno was actually jimmy durante?

Brownie points if you know who that was without googling.
I knew who he was thanks to Rankin Bass' Frosty the Snowman as well as various Looney Toons/Tex Avery reruns

Polarthief

Smash Lord
It has its advantages. Maybe it's different in Canada, but I found Metal Gear Solid 4 and the Last of Us for about $10 each at my local EB Games.
The best use for me was getting Dokapon Kingdom on the Wii relatively cheap (compared to its current value) sometime during the Wii U era.

That said though, at least in America, there are times where they'll sell used games as new and that's pretty much false advertising.

I'm never going to trade in games there, though.
Never ever. You get nothing and they make a killing off of it. Most games aren't worth much (because of the usually massive supply) but rare ones I don't need anymore I'll sell on my own terms.

I'd love to know how much I would have gotten for my NES Classic at Gamestop if they'd even take it. I bought it for $60 and resold it for over $140*, paying for both itself AND the SNES Classic I bought just before selling the NES one. Knowing GS, they'd give me like $20 or something, if even that, lol.

* That's just what the bids went up to. I think I set the starting bid at like $50; I really just wanted my money back. People went nuts for these things.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
Lol sorry. I'm a '91 baby but I was so sheltered I'm practically a zoomer instead of a millennial. TBH though I barely know actors, singers, and other famous people I'm *supposed* to know, so someone from pre-1900s has no chance. Being on the spectrum is a *****.
It’s fine, he was a celebrity during the golden years of hollywood. Most folks don’t know who any of the actors or singers from that era are anymore. Hell the only reason I even knew them was much like matt above, from old looney tunes reruns.

Course I also am somewhat interested in old hollywood films and history, so that helps.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627

That Banjo/Paper Mario avatar is ADORABLE.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
I knew who he was thanks to Rankin Bass' Frosty the Snowman as well as various Looney Toons/Tex Avery reruns
You're reminding me how much I miss the Tex Avery Show that aired on Cartoon Network.

Firox

Smash Master
The best use for me was getting Dokapon Kingdom on the Wii relatively cheap (compared to its current value) sometime during the Wii U era.

That said though, at least in America, there are times where they'll sell used games as new and that's pretty much false advertising.

Never ever. You get nothing and they make a killing off of it. Most games aren't worth much (because of the usually massive supply) but rare ones I don't need anymore I'll sell on my own terms.

I'd love to know how much I would have gotten for my NES Classic at Gamestop if they'd even take it. I bought it for $60 and resold it for over $140*, paying for both itself AND the SNES Classic I bought just before selling the NES one. Knowing GS, they'd give me like $20 or something, if even that, lol.

* That's just what the bids went up to. I think I set the starting bid at like $50; I really just wanted my money back. People went nuts for these things.
I gotta admit, their trade-in practices are so idiotic and greedy. Just look at the math:

You buy a game brand new for $60. You beat it, then try to sell it back to them.
They offer you $15-20 for it, then resell for $50. They make 50%+ profit off of it and sell the used game at 84% of its full brand new value. (I'll never understand why some people would think saving $10 on a potentially damaged or scuffed game is worth it, but hey, that's just me. I guess $10 makes it or breaks it for some people)

Meanwhile, as long as the game is in mind condition, you could sell on Ebay for $50+ yourself with a 9% listing fee and come out with $40+ right in your pocket for only the hassle of shipping. Heck, if the game is vintage, some people are willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money on Ebay. In fact, there are vintage SMRPG games listed right now for over $120! Yeah, trade-in stores are freaking sham.

MattX20

Smash Hero
But to get back on topic for Geno, I recall that Geno's laser gun never had any official reference artwork, even in the official strategy guide. I'm not sure if that Vifam figure was ever used yet, but I wonder if that was the intention for it

Firox

Smash Master
But to get back on topic for Geno, I recall that Geno's laser gun never had any official reference artwork, even in the official strategy guide. I'm not sure if that Vifam figure was ever used yet, but I wonder if that was the intention for it
You mean Nintendo never released any pics of Geno's pulsating rod?!

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I don't think the ViFam gun was ever intended for a character. I think because of the timing of when he said that, he was looking for inspiration for the Spirit Board mode but he instead went with a vaccum aside from a super scope looking weapon.

I think the ViFam gun was just us looking too much into coincidences then.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
You buy a game brand new for $60. You beat it, then try to sell it back to them.
They offer you $15-20 for it, then resell for $50. They make 50%+ profit off of it and sell the used game at 84% of its full brand new value.
Yeah, it's gross. You're basically spending $40-50 to borrow a game. Why? I'd rather keep my collection, personally.

(I'll never understand why some people would think saving $10 on a potentially damaged or scuffed game is worth it, but hey, that's just me. I guess $10 makes it or breaks it for some people)
It's usually $5! Not even 10% of the usual AAA price! I'd rather it come in mint, working, condition, usually with about a month or so under warranty via whoever I bought it from. Amazon gives you 30d on anything, one question asked (which TBH you can just lie about to avoid paying the shipping back). Gamestop I think gives you 7d with the requirement of a receipt if used, and if you open a new game, you can't even return it. I'll say it forever: **** Gamestop. Don't support them.

Meanwhile, as long as the game is in mind condition, you could sell on Ebay for $50+ yourself with a 9% listing fee and come out with $40+ right in your pocket for only the hassle of shipping. Heck, if the game is vintage, some people are willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money on Ebay. In fact, there are vintage SMRPG games listed right now for over $120! Yeah, trade-in stores are freaking sham.
Yeah I like when I brought in Super Princess Peach (with case, condition basically the same from the day I bought it) and they offered me like $5. Oh and let's not forget that the trade-in value is for CREDIT. Unless you specifically ask, you don't get cash and you forfeit like 30% of your already pathetically tiny credit.

MarioTime

Smash Apprentice
I was finally able to defeat Jones thanks to you guy's tips!^^ Also I spend a whole 15 minutes fighting Yaridovich spamming special moves and items while my friend raged at Mario 64 beside me

OffBi

Smash Ace
Well, Sakurai mentioned he bought it for the gun, so it's possible he could've used it for Geno is what I meant. We never did see what exactly it was used for
WAIT A SECOND
IT COULD BE USED FOR MASTER CHIEF TOO

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

The best use for me was getting Dokapon Kingdom on the Wii relatively cheap
Dokapon Kingdom
*breathes in deeply*

*let's out sigh instead of freaking out from hype*

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
A bit of a real talk post from me:

I am not gonna lie but the last few years (mainly with Smash 4's speculation cycle) have made really cynical about Nintendo's image. When Nintendo and Square partnered up to make Fortune Street and Sports Mix yet omitted Geno for Final Fantasy mooks, it felt like a real ****ty thing to do.

On top of that, the constant harassment from parts of the Sora community and other groups have only contributed to giving me this cynical mentality to Nintendo, Square and just gaming as a whole. Piranha Plant was probably the one thing that made me actually hate Nintendo for a period of time. (On top of the Sw/Sh pr mess. It's a terrible feeling to just hate stuff just because you feel like your the only one who never gets what they want. Waiting almost your entire life for one of your favorite characters to return will do that to you. I could sit here and talk ill about plant mains or dig up dirt on HMK but I won't stoop to that level that has burned us so much in the past.

I'm glad I spent as much time as I have with Operation StarFall because all I have ever wanted was to push genuine love to the character front and center, and let other fans know that they aren't alone. Bringing joy and optimism out of others has really been kind to my soul.

Whether or not Geno is getting in at this point is entirely uncertain but I can at least say I did my part. I have been looking at the comments regarding the donation drive and I am 100% down on getting that organized. It seems like the best way to close out this amazing push and we would have at least been able to say we left nothing but a positive impact on the Smash Community. Lot of people worked hard to make this a thing and I truly appreciate all the help along the way. I'll be sure to share more information on Operation StarFall's fundraiser very soon.

My apologies for possibly being a grammatical mess with these big posts. Just bored and on my phone)

Polarthief

Smash Lord
*breathes in deeply*

*let's out sigh instead of freaking out from hype*

I actually played it when I was in college but we only played for like an hour and totally forgot the name of it. Wasn't til much later when I saw an LP of it that I found out it was on the Wii and managed to snag a copy.

I still need to finish a full story mode playthrough (I have gotten to the last chapter), though I've actually watched 2 complete LPs of it (both strangely with 3 people in them). Amazing game that flew under a lot of peoples' radars. It's also the only "super Japanese-y" game that my normie sister is willing to play. I'd kill for another Western console release of it; Fortune Street too.

I am not gonna lie but the last few years (mainly with Smash 4's speculation cycle) have made really cynical about Nintendo's image. When Nintendo and Square partnered up to make Fortune Street and Sports Mix yet omitted Geno for Final Fantasy mooks, it felt like a real ****ty thing to do.

On top of that, the constant harassment from parts of the Sora community and other groups have only contributed to giving me this cynical mentality to Nintendo, Square and just gaming as a whole. Piranha Plant was probably the one thing that made me actually hate Nintendo for a period of time. (On top of the Sw/Sh pr mess.
Fortune Street was Dragon Quest btw, just wanted to state that.

Piranha Plant I wasn't *really* mad at, it was more or less just the massive disappointment from that Smash Direct that I was pissed at.

Whether or not Geno is getting in at this point is entirely uncertain but I can at least say I did my part.
Don't worry, he's as close to a lock as characters come, unless Square wants to be *****. Way too much circumstantial evidence (that isn't speculative like Arle was), as well as unable to be deconfirmed leaks, that when combined makes a bigger picture.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
When Nintendo and Square partnered up to make Fortune Street and Sports Mix yet omitted Geno for Final Fantasy mooks, it felt like a real ****ty thing to do.
I hope you know what Mook means and how it isnt a nice thing to call things you dont like or care for

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I hope you know what Mook means and how it isnt a nice thing to call things you dont like or care for
The meaning I am looking for when referring to these is insignificant. That's as far as my usage of the term goes. But I'm not gonna lie, Chocobo would have been better than Moogle or Cactus man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom