• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Loooool so u thought Geno looked like some weird clown or something XDD Imagine if that was his actual design tho lmfao
Not exactly. The eyes always looked weird, but he looked like he was grinning and it looks kinda smug and cool or something; hell if I know.
The nose, I don't even.

Last edited:

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Not exactly. The eyes always looked weird, but he looked like he was grinning and it looks kinda smug and cool or something; hell if I know.
The nose, I don't even.
I mean, I didn't think Belome had any eyes, I just thought the top of his head was was blue semi circles and weird red symbols. Which was really awesome I thought - made him feel very alien.

I also thought Mac was the entire knife wearing a weird hat that looked like a red pumpkin.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I mean, I didn't think Belome had any eyes, I just thought the top of his head was was blue semi circles and weird red symbols. Which was really awesome I thought - made him feel very alien.

I also thought Mac was the entire knife wearing a weird hat that looked like a red pumpkin.
Like I said before, when I first saw Belome as some kind of cat. He is more of another kind of beast, but still.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I might be the only one here who feels this way, but the Smrpg art style was so bad and good at the same time.
The 3D concept was cool, but honestly when I initially played the game I had no idea what I was even looking at when it came to Geno. Some of the bosses and enemies were poorly done as well.

Geno for example had a design that was just too busy and made it hard to identify features of the character unless you had a reference as to what he looked like outside the game.

Overall I think the fan art done by most people on deviant art is what made me appreciate the character’s design more.

This game in my opinion would benefit greatly from a graphical overhaul. I’d like to see a design that takes elements from Ff7 or 15

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I might be the only one here who feels this way, but the Smrpg art style was so bad and good at the same time.
The 3D concept was cool, but honestly when I initially played the game I had no idea what I was even looking at when it came to Geno. Some of the bosses and enemies were poorly done as well.

Geno for example had a design that was just too busy and made it hard to identify features of the character unless you had a reference as to what he looked like outside the game.

Overall I think the fan art done by most people on deviant art is what made me appreciate the character’s design more.

This game in my opinion would benefit greatly from a graphical overhaul. I’d like to see a design that takes elements from Ff7 or 15
You know, I have to agree on the first part. It was also hard for me to see what Geno looked like when playing the game, too.

link2702

Smash Champion
Makes me happy to see so many others had trouble either pronouncing his name, or saw other things in the character sprites that were weird.

I too thought belome was some weird alien, and that those weren’t his eyes (or least normal ones.). I also originally thought genos orange hair was really weird giant eyelashes that were off center for some reason, and I also thought mack was the entire sword itself and he was wearing some weird jack-o-lantern crown.

Smrpg REAAALY Had some weird character designs. Gunyolk being one of the weirdest imo, then the frogogs, and also the mastadoom, corkpedite....really a lot of the original enemies in smrpg were weird, but maybe that’s why they’re also so memorable.

MattX20

Smash Hero

Yep, I imagine the official Smash render for Geno would be kinda like the Smashified render, but a bit more refined, and that kind of attention to detail would be appreciated in a remake

Polarthief

Smash Lord

Like I said before, when I first saw Belome as some kind of cat. He is more of another kind of beast, but still.
I definitely saw the cat-like shape, and I thought he had 2 eyes, one of which was actually an eye and the other was next to it, the red spiral swirl, like a freaking Spinda (Pokémon) before Spinda existed.

Also 100% on Mac being the whole thing, not the "hat" on top. Sometimes I wonder if SMRPG was amazing or awful with the sprites. Sometimes both. Like what the hell is Culex even? I saw him this week and I still don't have a clue.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I definitely saw the cat-like shape, and I thought he had 2 eyes, one of which was actually an eye and the other was next to it, the red spiral swirl, like a freaking Spinda (Pokémon) before Spinda existed.
He actually had four eyes, and not with glasses either.

I read that back somewhere after I played the game. I thought he had two eyes from before, too.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog

Also 100% on Mac being the whole thing, not the "hat" on top. Sometimes I wonder if SMRPG was amazing or awful with the sprites. Sometimes both. Like what the hell is Culex even? I saw him this week and I still don't have a clue.
Culex is a cool dude who doesn't afraid of anything. And that's good enough for all of us I think

Culex is like the opposite of Yaridovich with his stupID WATER BLAST DAMNIT ALL YOU STUPID SPEAR ******* I'M NOT SALTY

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
So I just had a thought. New Horizons is one of Nintendo's biggest releases this year. Tom Nook is one of the biggest Nintendo characters not playable. I know he's in some Final Smashes and Stages, but that's not really an issue anymore.

I could see him taking a Fighter's Pass spot to promote New Horizons.

MattX20

Smash Hero
So I just had a thought. New Horizons is one of Nintendo's biggest releases this year. Tom Nook is one of the biggest Nintendo characters not playable. I know he's in some Final Smashes and Stages, but that's not really an issue anymore.

I could see him taking a Fighter's Pass spot to promote New Horizons.
As far as promotional picks go, I think Nintendo is going to lean more on Ring Fit Adventure due to its new IP status. That, and Geno would still be considered a Square pick despite being a Mario character

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Here's a question: if rumors are true about PM3 and/or PM64 remake then should we worry that a different Mario RPG character would be the pick instead of Geno? Particularly I'm thinking of Paper Mario here obviously. Paper Mario has his fans as well and while the fanbase may not be as sizeable or as long standing, Paper Mario has been featured in more games and as the playable protagonist and would be a promotional pick in this instance which we know Nintendo loves. I feel like Geno is still the better choice here due to being a long standing big fan request and being very different from other characters (even though PM would have plenty to differentiate himself with as well), but obviously I am biased in that regard.

And others have mentioned Waluigi as possible as well and even though he's not an RPG character he's still a major request from Mario games for Smash and would still make sense if he was chosen to be revealed in a direct around Mario Day (should that actually occur). While I have healthy respect for Geno's SE competition, I think I'm more worried about his Marioverse competition. They could make 2+ more fighters passes with all Mario characters and I'd likely buy every single character because Mario has so many loveable characters.

I know Banjo proved that Nintendo is not totally deaf to fan demand, but Byleth also proved they will blatantly ignore it to promote their games. I just hope Nintendo makes the right call. I trust Sakurai's ability to make incredibly diverse characters, but I still don't trust Nintendo's ability to consistently deliver with sensible character choices. Then again, while FP1 was not for me, I do immensely respect the first 4 characters chosen. Despite liking FE3H a lot, I just can't support Byleth's inclusion for so many well known reasons and I guess that combined with the fact that FP1 was full of a lot of unexpected characters, I'm just unsure of what Nintendo will do next like always.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Ring Fit Adventure due to its new IP status
I don't get why people think she's so likely. This didn't work for ARMS or Xenoblade 2. and it feels like too much of a "what the f***" pick to be DLC. yes we have Plant, but he was much more recognizable.

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
Hmm...you know Geno's cameo in Superstar Saga made me wonder if the toy for Geno was the original one or there's more than one of them
Funny you mention that, I've thought about this a lot more than I should have. Is there Geno merch in the mushroom kingdom? what is Geno from? Did Gaz grow old and give the Geno doll away for the cameo? Are there Geno costumes, and that's why he had a mii costume? Idk just some dumb thoughts I've had haha.

Dukefire

Smash Master
While probably some or most may not have an idea immediately, but what could Geno's Moveset and Model be based on from the current fighter's build?

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
I rumored about DoomGuy not being playable and him getting a mii costume for representation (thus making the cacomallow leak real) and some evidence seems to support this In PapaGenos's new video he just uploaded. https://youtu.be/2RYuXtUxCtU

The people behind Warframe straight up asked for an assist trophy on twitter to Nintendo Of America, and they later got representation via a spirit. Do you think the same was done for Doom when they asked Nintendo for DoomGuy as a playable fighter?

(Heres the post I made on 2297 based on my predictions back in January, scroll to the bottom) https://smashboards.com/threads/gen...-fighters-pass-2-speculation.446378/page-2297

EDIT: I also had a thought that the Cacodemon costume could be similar to the Altair costume, and come with Geno for more representation, because it seemed odd to me that they would make 2 characters at once (if a Bethesda character and Geno were being made simultaneously, because both were in the cacomallow leak)

This could mean one of 3 things
-Cacodemon costume replaces a Smash 4 square costume to make room for an indie character
-Cacodemon costume replaces indie character
-Cacodemon means its own separate character, so another Bethesda rep.
Heres a screenshot of Warframe's tweet from 2018: https://ibb.co/QDGMzBz

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I don't get why people think she's so likely. This didn't work for ARMS or Xenoblade 2. and it feels like too much of a "what the f***" pick to be DLC. yes we have Plant, but he was much more recognizable.
Plant was also a bonus that many people got for free. RFT (Ring Fit Trainer) would be a character people would *have* to spend money on, no exception unless it's not part of FP2. If you prepaid money for FP2 and got Plant in there, yeah I'd be pissed too (this is also why Byleth stung so hard whereas I doubt anyone would *reeeeally* care if they were free). I absolute do not think RFT will be in FP2, let alone in Smash at all. If they are, they might be like a bonus costume of WFT or something after FP2 is over.

While Byleth was out of nowhere, I doubt Nintendo will want to have another meltdown like they had with them. RFT would likely cause the Byleth situation again. I'd personally be pretty annoyed TBH.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn't think new IP is something we should reject for DLC, remember Reggies hasn't even admitted that he are words about Byleth.

I know there aren't many first party choices left, but maybe you can at least nominate some other popular new franchises you think more recognizeable to prove that Ring Fit isn't a good pick.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Wouldn't think new IP is something we should reject for DLC
By no means should you outright reject it, but RFT doesn't feel like a character who should be getting in what might be the final 6 slots Smash might ever have, ever... until Workaholic Sakurai comes back for Smash 6, probably.

I know there aren't many first party choices left
Wot. There's a ridiculous number, even ones people have been asking for.
- Mario universe alone you've got Waluigi as the frontrunner and Birdo as a potential second. Hell I even see people asking for Boshi as an echo to Yoshi. I'd even rather see Midbus (from Bowser's Inside Story) or Fawful (from all of the M&L games, not just BIS) over RFT.
- BWD for Kirby with others like Marx or Adeleine.
- Slippy or Peppy, anyone else from Star Wolf, or Andross for Starfox.
- Pokemon is missing a Gen 4, 5, and 8 rep.
- Zelda has 3 reps across 6 characters and could easily bring in Impa, Skull Kid, or Tingle to name a few.
- Dixie Kong has been a very popular request for the Donkey Kong universe.
- Ninten as an echo of Ness(?); Porky Minch because where the hell has he been for all of Ultimate?
- WarioWare series feels like it could use another character. People really took a liking to Ashley (& Red), but I could also see Jimmy, Mona, or Dribble & Spitz as some other potentials.
- Pikmin still has one rep and could easily bring in more as echoes.
- AC legit needs Tom Nook at some point IMO.
- Punch-Out!!, LET'S GET MIKE TYSON IN SMASH!! Joking aside, there's plenty of iconic Punch-Out!! characters.
- Xenoblade 2 was still cucked, don't forget that. Rex & Pyra definitely deserves a spot over RFT.
- Golden Sun is 1st/2nd party, right? Isaac's had quite a legacy with Smash similarly to Geno's.
That's all the ones I can immediately remember off the top of my head that are specifically first/second party.

but maybe you can at least nominate some other popular new franchises you think more recognizeable to prove that Ring Fit isn't a good pick.
Not as easy since Nintendo hasn't done many "new" franchises lately, which is generally why people don't look at them.
- Spring Man/Ribbon Girl/Twintelle (because I'm biased for her) because ARMS got kinda cucked.
- Octolings as echoes of Inklings, or hell give them different weapons from Inklings as non-echoes.
- Snipperclips? Idfk.
Honestly, if any "new" franchise should get a spot, I'd immediately give it to ARMS. Yeah it's not as popular as Splatoon and never quite took off, but I still think Spring Man/Ribbon Girl (as echoes of each other like the Belmonts maybe with slight differences, or just costumes of each other) would be a much better fit than "WFT, but different", especially for a DLC slot in what's likely the last FP. RFT would 100% bring a similar-but-different backlash like Byleth.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Uh you do know we were talking about new franchises? Since you're not indicating that this is off-topic in Geno thread.
I mean, your post had them separated by paragraphs. It wasn't clear you meant new IP 1st party newcomers only. So it's easy to confuse. When you don't keep them among the same paragraph, they look like separated points.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Uh you do know we were talking about new franchises? Since you're not indicating that this is off-topic in Geno thread.
Um, talking about "new franchises" is pretty off-topic to Geno. Why am I off-topic but you're not?

Also, you specifically said "first party picks", then brought back "new franchises", which I did also talk about. TL;DR: RFT doesn't deserve a slot. If anything, it should go to ARMS.

I mean, your post had them separated by paragraphs. It wasn't clear you meant new IP 1st party newcomers only. So it's easy to confuse. When you don't keep them among the same paragraph, they look like separated points.
This. I legit thought you (Dora) were talking about *all* first party picks.

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Um, talking about "new franchises" is pretty off-topic to Geno. Why am I off-topic but you're not?

Also, you specifically said "first party picks", then brought back "new franchises", which I did also talk about. TL;DR: RFT doesn't deserve a slot. If anything, it should go to ARMS..
If that's your opinion then we agree it better go back on track now.

And to clarify, we do have many unused first party franchises left, but at this point it feels like the DLCs have better chances to tie with advertising which means very new IPs or titles. I do wish a retro first party coming, just I don't hold high hope.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
And to clarify, we do have many unused first party franchises left, but at this point it feels like the DLCs have better chances to tie with advertising which means very new IPs or titles.
Pushing RFT this late would look very very weird. They can just post a few tweets about it. The time to advertise it would have been January, New Year's Resolutions on getting fit and all that. RFT would be a very, very odd shill pick that many people would be furious about. Why do it?

No, with this being the last 6, Nintendo knows people are expecting big things. I could see a Gen 8 Pokemon shill, or a Paper Mario shill (if that rumor comes true), or some other shill, but not for a new franchise. ARMS didn't get in; I don't see RFT getting in.

I do wish a retro first party coming, just I don't hold high hope.
Define retro. NES? Who is really left from that era? SNES? Well there's Geno who I think is a lock and you think doesn't really have a chance in hell... Dunno what to tell you really.

If that's your opinion then we agree it better go back on track now.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
God, even Papa's new video was basically stuff everyone knew already. Normally I'd expect him not to post anything in droughts of real info, but I guess you need to pay the bills somehow. Here's hoping he doesn't stoop to the levels of LaxChris and BlockedContent.

Also I realize that I got a lot of responses on my rant but I won't go into any of them in particular because it will just be repeating the same **** over and over: I'm in a thread where people debate and speculate on every little thing like it can mean something. Some of you truly believed that we could get an updated version of the Smash 4 Battlefield stage despite Sakurai saying all the pictures were taken during the base development of the game, and some of you just humored the idea but didn't really believe. To those who merely humored it, that's perfectly fine: you used critical thinking and logic to know it wasn't likely at all, but humored yourselves in a 'What If' scenario. To those who believed it...all I can tell you is you need to think realistically more often. I encourage people to get hype and be creative, but the way people jump from thing to thing in regards to Smash is insanely unhealthy. It's like finding a half-eaten McDouble in a landfill and frantically digging around it to get it out and eat it when you are capable of just going and buying a nice steak dinner at a nice restaurant if you wait a bit longer.

Be excited for new Nintendo and Smash news, but don't jump onto every small rumor like it's real. This why so many of you keep mentioning various levels of sanity issues and why so many people take breaks from the thread or leave entirely in some cases.

Speaking of sanity issues, let it be known I am completely fine. Sure, I don't normally rant like that here, but I decided to let it fly for a change. I knew it wouldn't be popular considering how close to home it hits, but I decided to get it off my chest how frustrating it can get in here and abroad when the fanbase you are a part of often looks like conspiracy theorists when it comes to any rumors about Smash. If anyone was genuinely worried about me, don't be: I get it from my dad that if I don't rant about something every now and again THEN you should question if I'm okay. Happens when your dad is passionate and preachy. If anything, I fine it ironic that a thread in which people constantly say they are losing their grip due to not getting information from a video game company has a few people worrying about my sanity because I'm sick of seeing people lose theirs over silly stuff that isn't important. Note that genuine concern is appreciated either way.

As for a vacation...well, not only do I not need one, but I'm basically here just for Fatmanonice Fatmanonice at this point. He's not really active anywhere else despite how much this site wants to shut him down and I feel like he's a close friend that I always had so I enjoy hanging out where he is. I'm basically riding this thing to make sure he's doing okay as well as to see how much more bull**** comes flying in and proven wrong up until Nintendo says something officially. So far all the rumors have been mostly bull****, so will the rumors about announcements be full of it too? Who has real information and who doesn't? And how far will the community go to prove the ones they believe in as they slowly decend into madness?

*eats chips*

This **** is better than reality TV, baby! I'm here to STAY!

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Pushing RFT this late would look very very weird. They can just post a few tweets about it. The time to advertise it would have been January, New Year's Resolutions on getting fit and all that. RFT would be a very, very odd shill pick that many people would be furious about. Why do it?

Define retro. NES? Who is really left from that era? SNES? Well there's Geno who I think is a lock and you think doesn't really have a chance in hell... Dunno what to tell you really.
I think you know the last paragraph is still talking about new franchises so Geno is sure not part of that.

And I'm not here to comment on RFT. The point is still that there are quite many supports of new series out there, it's weird to use RFT to say all new series picks are bad so Nintendo should only expand old series. That's why I say you can use other unused series as examples.

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Hope to god the next direct is early March just so the info drought for upcoming games not named Animal Crossing New Horizons comes to an end.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
Hope to god the next direct is early March just so the info drought for upcoming games not named Animal Crossing New Horizons comes to an end.
I'd just like some kind of news on a game a care about to chew on. (Nothing against fans of AC, it just hasn't ever taken my fancy)

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
I’m starting to wonder if Nintendo has been holding off on a Direct on account of the coronavirus dominating the news. Maybe they are worried that their announcements will be overshadowed in the media by the extensive coverage of the virus? Maybe they originally had one planned for mid-February..

or maybe I’m just silly.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Now, just for max pessimism points, watch us all have this same 'Where is the Direct?' conversation on March 28th.

Anyway, I want the next reveal to be Mallow as a Plant-like bonus followed by Geno's reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom