• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
By no means do they have to do anything. Hell they can wait til E3 if they actually wanted to, but you have a season pass sitting here with the creator outright saying he apologizes for it being blind and not buy it unless you're fully confident in it (both times). You have a supposed lineup of games but keeping silent about it which means people have nothing to do but speculate on what it could be instead of talking about the game (and generating free marketing as a result). You have people upset at you for not revealing anything, and you don't seem to get anything from holding back said info.

A reminder that Nintendo is a for-profit company interested in making money, so what they're doing is actively against their goals, as a company. I never once said they have to do anything; they can choose to take the PR hit by keeping us in the dark until a major game is already finished and releasing the same week if they choose to, that's totally fine and on them. My whole point is that we have no information. Nothing. A direct in this quarter is exactly what they should be pushing to tell everyone "hey, here's our games for this year", since they didn't do that at all last year in September to showcase some 2020 games. If they actually don't do a Q1 direct, that means they're admitting they have nothing but AC for this entire quarter, and if they pushed the direct to April, well that's just silly since E3 is just around the corner, which means they're also saying "don't expect anything in Q2 either". Even if they have nothing to show for the first half of the year, they shouldn't be holding information on the second half. Again, getting people talking about your games leads to more free hype and marketing, which generally leads to better sales, which is the end goal of a video game company. It's in both our and their best interests to push information like this sooner than later, and they're already way beyond the "later" point.

TL;DR: Never said they're obligated to do anything, never said they promised us anything, it's just in both their best interest, and ours, as a company, for them to post information sooner rather than later, and at this point, it's well beyond 'later'.
Dunno about that. While you do say you never said that, you did seem to act like that.

Plus, making a Direct isn't that easy as you make it sound. Plus, you are talking about mostly Smash Bros., it seems, at least in the first paragraph. Either way, Nintendo has other games, and I don't think adding third party games and information about them is that simple, especially if they have someone else talking about a third party game in a Direct. I mean, I think they have to work with third party developers when they make Directs, and for the games Nintendo does own, not every information about them that appears in the Direct happens is done right away, and Sakurai did say in Byleth's presentation that Fighter Pass 2's first character is not coming so soon. They are still probably working on the things for the Direct, or newer games, and such, and if the Direct came out sooner, they would appear rushed, and no one would want that. Would you?

It's not like making Directs are adding information and done. Even though you may have not said that, there is more to how they are made than you may think. And they may not have planned this Direct at the beginning of the year. Business isn't always that simple, ya know. And there may be changes or last minute changes that could delay a Direct, too.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
there's still nothing suggesting 2B is getting in
This is a bit of an exaggeration:

Square-Enix producer and board member Yosuke Saito, who produces the Drakengard/Nier series and the newer Dragon Quest games, recently invited Sakurai out for a meal a night or two ago. Says something about also inviting Sakurai to meet with Yoko Taro at some point. Worth noting though both he and Sakurai follow each other on Twitter, Yoko says he has never personally met with Sakurai.

Something tells me Square-Enix really wants Sakurai to entertain a Nier or Drakengard representative.
If you want to entertain something, Nier series producer Yosuke Saito announced a Christmas Niconico livestream/interview he is hosting with several Japanese developers including Sakurai and Yoko Taro. Joining them include Square-Enix's Takashi Anzai, PlatinumGames' Hideki Kamiya, and former Square-Enix employee Jin Fujisawa.

Not to say she's getting in over Geno, but that doesn't mean there's ZERO reason to believe she'll get in.

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
And another thing, it is not the call of the fans of when it is the best interest as to when a Direct is shown. It's Nintendo's call. If they show it around E3, that is their fault. Not the people's. And we don't know what new games or remakes will be shown in this Direct, but however long it takes to make this Direct, it could make the wait worthwhile, still.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
GOOOOOD MOOOOOORNING SMASHBOARDS!!!! Just wanted to remind you that we are another day closer to 2B (Yes, THE 2B from THE Nier Automata) getting confirmed for Smash Ultimate! Make sure you save your tears for 2Bs inevitable confirmation!

>”B-BUT ITS IMPOSSIBLE, GENOPE IS A COMPLETE LOCK AT THIS POINT!!!!”
“No!”

YIKES!!! That is a LARGE assumption! Do we not remember that NINTENDO is choosing the DLC? The Square slot has been taken by yours truly! Why would they pass over one of gamings most BASED modern icons over someone who hasn’t made a major appearance in over 20 years? Not to mention, they finally got the rights to him, only to relegate him into a mere PNG! His ship officially sailed a long time ago! But feel free to continue your denial, your tears of disappointment will just be that much sweeter!
Bruh. Why you in here poking the bear? I mean this is obvious bait but like, why?

I'm far from the biggest fan of Geno, but just let these people have their dreams.

Also stop making the rest of the 2B supporters look bad. None of us want any part of this.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not to say she's getting in over Geno, but that doesn't mean there's ZERO reason to believe she'll get in.
You’re not wrong but how exactly is that evidence for 2B. The producer inviting Sakurai doesn’t mean anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Firox

Smash Master
Sadly, after seeing this post, Sakurai pressed the "Remove Geno from Smash and add 2B instead" button on his computer. It's over, we lost :(
Sakurai: "Alright team, go ahead a create 2B as a fighter."

Dev grunt 1: "But, Sir, the last of the DLC characters is already well underway. Are we planning to unveil a last-minute bonus fighter for FP2?"

Dev grunt 2: "Sir, we don't have the rights to 2B, remember? We spent the last of our negotiations budget to get Geno. Square-Enix will sue!"

Dev grunt 3: "Sir, do you think it wise for me to program this button just to delete Geno? I mean, we've already spent MONTHS developing him..."

Sakurai: "When you cease to believe in Geno, he ceases to believe in you. NOW MAKE IT SO!.....I have spoken."

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
2B or not 2B...
That is the question.

Hint: The answer is not 2B. The answer is Geno.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
If Sakurai wanted to go with another Platinum or Hideki Kamiya inspired character, I'd think he would go with Dante first over 2B. I've no problem with people wanting her since Nier: Automata was a good game, but I feel she would have tough competition with Geno regarding fan demand and Sakurai basically wanting him since Brawl.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC

I have been summoned thee!

Here's the Christmas interview segments for anyone curious about it. No subtitles though, but there is a particular segment where Sakurai and Yoko talk about a story where Yoko's wife called out to Sakurai at the Tokyo Game Show.

Do take those posts and videos and what it could mean with prudence. Nothing suggests that 2B is confirmed, but Saito's posts and the focus on Sakurai suggest that Square-Enix's (or at least Saito/the particular Business Division's) priority would be on that character.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Dunno about that. While you do say you never said that, you did seem to act like that.
Sorry, like I said earlier, I'm bad with words. Yeah I'm upset, but I'm not gonna be like that. I'm still entitled to being upset at 6 months and still radio silence.

Sorry my b, legit never heard any of this. So it's not "nothing", but it's still pretty low in comparison.

If they show it around E3, that is their fault. Not the people's.
That's the point that I've been trying to say this whole time.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Sorry, like I said earlier, I'm bad with words. Yeah I'm upset, but I'm not gonna be like that. I'm still entitled to being upset at 6 months and still radio silence.
Heh heh! Can't say you should change that, since not only do I not have that power, but it isn't really what I'd want to do, but I say if Nintendo doesn't show a Direct by June, I say they are becoming dumber with their business practices and aren't doing their business right anymore. :p

MattX20

Smash Hero

Here's the Christmas interview segments for anyone curious about it. No subtitles though, but there is a particular segment where Sakurai and Yoko talk about a story where Yoko's wife called out to Sakurai at the Tokyo Game Show.

Do take those posts and videos and what it could mean with prudence. Nothing suggests that 2B is confirmed, but Saito's posts and the focus on Sakurai suggest that Square-Enix's (or at least Saito/the particular Business Division's) priority would be on that character.
Thing is Sakurai and Nintendo would have final say, and Sakurai wanted Geno since Brawl like a lot of fans. 2B may be a beloved contemporary figure, but DQ and FF had top priority overall, so I don't think Sakurai's mind is in that direction.

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Thing is Sakurai and Nintendo would have final say, and Sakurai wanted Geno since Brawl like a lot of fans. 2B may be a beloved contemporary figure, but DQ and FF had top priority overall.
Well, duh. DQ and FF are Square-Enix's biggest in-house franchises, the former especially in Japan, so of course they would take priority over Drakengard/Nier. I would say Kingdom Hearts as well, but that seems to be on Disney JP's territory than Square Enix's.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Polarthief Polarthief and some others: What I meant in my last post was if June comes by and there is still no Direct, I can’t say I fully blame you guys for that.

D

Deleted member

Interesting. Maybe the guy just wants to get together with Sakurai for a meal? It would make more sense for these things to be more private if it were to lead to something bigger in the grand scheme of things.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Interesting. Maybe the guy just wants to get together with Sakurai for a meal? It would make more sense for these things to be more private if it were to lead to something bigger in the grand scheme of things.
I honestly feels like this falls in the same category of "Not everything Sakurai does is Smash related"

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
I honestly feels like this falls in the same category of "Not everything Sakurai does is Smash related"
Again, emphasis on taking the posts and videos with prudence.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I think we can all at least take comfort in the fact that once the general direct drops in March, the wait for E3 will be significantly more tolerable by comparison for any news and hope that we never get a drought this long ever again

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I think we can all at least take comfort in the fact that once the general direct drops in March, the wait for E3 will be significantly more tolerable by comparison for any news and hope that we never get a drought this long ever again
(Nintendo Twitter on Tuesday)

Nintendo Tweet: "Tune in on Thursday for an exciting announcement from Nintendo!"

*Thursday*

Nintendo: "Come back on E3 for more information about our exciting announcements!"

:ultpiranha:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
All I have to say is if what is in this direct was enough to push Pokemon, Smash, and Animal Crossing, the latter of which being one of their major releases this year, into their own events, I think the wait will be more than worth it.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Worth noting that Nintendo reportedly cancelled their last 3DS projects in light of Mario and Luigi: BiS remake bombing. It'll be interesting to see if some of those projects make their way onto the Switch.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
All I have to say is if what is in this direct was enough to push Pokemon, Smash, and Animal Crossing, the latter of which being one of their major releases this year, into their own events, I think the wait will be more than worth it.
For sure, let's just hope it's before E3 at this point. :\

Worth noting that Nintendo reportedly cancelled their last 3DS projects in light of Mario and Luigi: BiS remake bombing. It'll be interesting to see if some of those projects make their way onto the Switch.
I'm honestly glad because everyone who owns a Switch wouldn't want a game they'd want on the 3DS over the Switch. Of course, I'd prefer if they got released on the 3DS instead of nothing, but if it's Switch vs 3DS, Switch should win every single time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah. It was a Fire Emblem remake right?

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
They need that space for the line that they project will have at least 90% of the convention goers standing in it.

Nintendo needs to knock it off with bringing demos to events and just put them on the ****ing eshop already - they'd reach way more people and the advertisement is free.
Pretty sure that's how **** gets leaked

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Apparently several are with rumors going public for a couple:

-Fire Emblem 6/7 (first publicly rumored in October/November)

-2D Metroid (November)

-Paper Mario (November)

-Miitopia/Tomodachi Life Remaster/Sequel (first heard in October, made public earlier this month)

There's at least three others I've heard and, honestly, with how much backing the 2D Metroid and Paper Mario rumors have gotten, they're probably true. It's also noteworthy that Mystery Dungeon came true so, again, everything has been pointing to Nintendo fulfilling some really out there and unexpected fan requests this year.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792

-2D Metroid (November)

-Paper Mario (November)

-Miitopia/Tomodachi Life Remaster/Sequel (first heard in October, made public earlier this month)

There's at least three others I've heard and, honestly, with how much backing the 2D Metroid and Paper Mario rumors have gotten, they're probably true. It's also noteworthy that Mystery Dungeon came true so, again, everything has been pointing to Nintendo fulfilling some really out there and unexpected fan requests this year.
I’m guessing more Pikmin and Mario representation annnnnd....some sort of niche RPG?? Something Earth or Sun related?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Bruh. Why you in here poking the bear? I mean this is obvious bait but like, why?

I'm far from the biggest fan of Geno, but just let these people have their dreams.

Also stop making the rest of the 2B supporters look bad. None of us want any part of this.
There's no point in replying to that user; they were perma-banned hours ago.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Miitopia/Tomodachi Life Remaster/Sequel (first heard in October, made public earlier this month
You just make me happy with this and I hope it happens
-----
Honestly wouldnt be shocked if Nintendies booth at pax was all Animal Crossing because, man, if that isnt the most hyped game this year from them. All their focus is going to AC it seems.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero

-2D Metroid (November)

-Paper Mario (November)

I'd be down for another 2D Metroid game. Samus Returns was excellent

Polarthief

Smash Lord
-Paper Mario (November)
Now is this PM3, PM64 remake, or both? Zippo was saying fresh new PM3* on Switch while Marko was saying PM64 remake on 3DS (now presumably on Switch). I'd like the latter, be ecstatic for the former, and would kill for both.

* SPM is not PM3. It's a spin-off of a spin-off. SS/CS are so bad, they aren't even considered PMs, lol

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Holy ****, Im so sorry, I thought this was the social thread I go to, oh god im sorry
OH ****, WRONG THREAD hahahaha anywaaay, what new news happend lately?
Off topic and basically spam. I'm unsure why you posted these.

You just make me happy with this and I hope it happens
-----
Honestly wouldnt be shocked if Nintendies booth at pax was all Animal Crossing because, man, if that isnt the most hyped game this year from them. All their focus is going to AC it seems
**** me, sorry
Off topic once more with constant censor dodging. Smashboards doesn't like cussing, so I don't know why you keep going towards that bear.

Why can't you discuss Geno ever if you're gonna be in here? I get being off topic sometimes, but as people keep pointing out, you're never on topic (Geno). This post of mine from last week (that you didn't acknowledge) still exists and a lot of people seemingly agreed (if the likes it got were any indication)...

Okay, but if I'm being brutally honest, as @KCCHIEFS27 said, you could, you know, make a post supporting Geno in this *ahem* Geno support thread.

A lot of people, including me, called out wynn for being in this thread when all he did was complain and say how Geno had basically no chance. While you don't complain, you don't really want Geno in and seem to tell people a lot to either calm down or basically "hype responsibly." Whenever someone calls you out for this, you usually just resort to "Well *insert cuss word here*, guess I'll just leave!" No one is necessarily saying we need you to leave, we don't want to gatekeep. But you don't need to play the victim card almost every time. This has been sort of a pattern in recent times. And c'mon, this is a Geno support thread, being off topic is fine, but you never say anything in support of Geno and most of the time you just tell people to calm down. (...which is basically the behavior people got on wynn for, minus the complaining and constant pessimism.)

Before you say you can support people and not personally want the character, hey guess what, have you met me? Hi I'm AdamBel731, I've been in this thread for months now, and as thread regulars who are acquainted with me will tell you, I'm a young zoomer who has no personal stake in Geno. I've made it clear I have 0 attachment to Geno many times. HOWEVER, I have stated that I'm in here because I think he is super likely and I want his fans to get their dues. While I don't personally like Geno all too much, at least I contribute to the conversation on supporting him. If I didn't have anything Geno support related to contribute here, I would've just made my initial support post months ago and left until he got revealed. I'm not telling you to take a hike altogether, but if you want to support Geno fans but also simultaneously have nothing Geno related to say... I'm sorry, but I don't get why you're here. As Megadoomer says, there are other threads for the other topics you talk about (like Animal Crossing). Yes we get off topic, but we also are able to discuss Geno. If you can only do the former and not the latter, then...

All in all, please just take responsibility and change your actions, or don't be here. I'm not trying to police you, and neither are others, but we are just responding to you how people (like me) have told off wynn, because it doesn't make sense to us why you'd be in a character support thread while simultaneously thinking a character isnt likely and never voice support for the character.
Again, not trying to attack you, but I'm calling you out just like I and others have done to others on this thread. I don't want to gatekeep (hardly anyone here does), but if you can't discuss Geno literally ever, why be here?

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
You think Geno would still use classic Super Mario RPG sound effects for some if not all of his moves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom