• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
One thing I have learned is its better to be pessimitic then optimistic. If Im optimistic and they dont get in, I will be heartbroken but if Im pessimistic and they dont get in, Im ok, im not gonna be sad because I believed they would have a chance anyway. Hell, Ive already giving up hope on Layton a long time ago
You can keep hope without having your heart broken. Just don't let yourself believe that anything is a guarantee. A defeatist attitude only makes speculation worse. Case in point: Wynn

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Who you think the Iwata tribute could be? I think if anybody it's Balloon Fighter without a doubt. It was the first game Iwata coded for Nintendo was it not?
People have mainly guessed Balloon Fighter or Lolo but, honestly, it could just be a character that Iwata really wanted to see in Smash and Sakurai would be willing to move heaven and Earth to make it happen. It could be something so outrageously obscure or seemingly impossible that none of us could ever guess it but, again, it's a rumor but I entertain it because Sakurai getting to "100" with his best friend's literal ultimate Smash request would almost be too perfect for words. It could be something goofy as hell like Bubbles and I would probably choke up immediately upon the reveal knowing it was one of Iwata's dying wishes.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
You can keep hope without having your heart broken. Just don't let yourself believe that anything is a guarantee. A defeatist attitude only makes speculation worse. Case in point: Wynn
I dont know, man. Seems much easier just to assume they are not coming so if they do, Ill be plesently surprised and when they dont, I wont be sad and can just shrug and say "I knew it"

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
People have mainly guessed Balloon Fighter or Lolo but, honestly, it could just be a character that Iwata really wanted to see in Smash and Sakurai would be willing to move heaven and Earth to make it happen. It could be something so outrageously obscure or seemingly impossible that none of us could ever guess it but, again, it's a rumor but I entertain it because Sakurai getting to "100" with his best friend's literal ultimate Smash request would almost be too perfect for words. It could be something goofy as hell like Bubbles and I would probably choke up immediately upon the reveal knowing it was one of Iwata's dying wishes.
I don't know about you but having at least one more curveball down the line in this game would be greatly satisfing to me especially if it's a retro character no one saw coming. I want to be surprise for at least one more of the reveals for this game.

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
It's not my theory but I gave a name to it. It's a theory that people have been tossing around since the fall or so that Sakurai's intention for this game was to get to 100 characters. My theory is that Sakurai is going to do this in a super cheeky way:

Currently 75 original characters
7 Echoes
7 Koopalings
1 Alph
3 Heros

Add these up and we're technically at 93 characters. From there, add:

6 Season 2 characters
1 Rumored Iwata tribute at the very end

This brings us to 100.
So one scenario is we get the six S2 fighters plus a special tribute fighter, or six fighters where one has an alt (eg: Crash and Coco).

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You sly fox
Only a little. My confidence doesn't come from exact info but because of the simple fact I've been swimming in the septic tank of insider rumors for over a year for the sake of this fanbase and been bringing to the surface bits of gold. Despite the stress and the fact that legions of people unironically hate me for my theorycrafting and walking a weirdly ambiguous line between insider and speculator, I'd ****in' do it again. If I'm wrong about everyone but Geno, it will still have been worth it. You all are worth it and if I get BTFO in all my predictions, I'm more than happy to accept the mantle of Village Idiot ™ because, again, as a fanbase, we've stuck with this longer than reason and logic would suggest and that's a great testament all onto itself.

Dynamic Worlok

I dont know, man. Seems much easier just to assume they are not coming so if they do, Ill be plesently surprised and when they dont, I wont be sad and can just shrug and say "I knew it"
I can't stand that attitude, personally. I'm not so afraid of disappointment that I won't openly hope for an outcome I desire.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
I can't stand that attitude, personally. I'm not so afraid of disappointment that I won't openly hope for an outcome I desire.
im sorry you dont like that but, why would I ever have hope for something I know probably will never happen? My two most wanted are Layton and Sora. Layton has nothing, so spirit, no costume and really no hints going for him and Im going to assume he isnt going to be a fighter either and Sora, everyone and their mom says Disney is in the way so I guess hes out. Ammy and Pheonix would be cool too but i dont think they are coming either

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, Sakurai himself confirming we're in the end game gives a lot of credence to yet another "dangerous" theory I had in that E3 2020 is probably going to be the last E3 with Smash announcements for a long time. Sakurai said himself said there are no plans for another Smash game yet which probably means Ultimate will be the last Smash game for at least half a decade, suggesting no earlier than probably 2026 or 2027 if that. That said, the E3 announcements will definitely count and be historic in their own right.

MattX20

Smash Hero

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
im sorry you dont like that but, why would I ever have hope for something I know probably will never happen? My two most wanted are Layton and Sora. Layton has nothing, so spirit, no costume and really no hints going for him and Im going to assume he isnt going to be a fighter either and Sora, everyone and their mom says Disney is in the way so I guess hes out. Ammy and Pheonix would be cool too but i dont think they are coming either
You know everything you said about Layton and Sora exactly describes what most people thought about Banjo & Kazooie's chances before they got in or per say before the Cuphead Switch port announcement. Almost everybody thought Banjo & Kazooie was impossible due to them being owned by one of Nintendo's direct competitors Microsoft. Despite Banjo & Kazooie being former 2nd party characters and Rare having a deep history within Nintendo, people didn't thought they were going to happen not even most of the Banjo-Kazooie fans. They had no Spirits, no reference of any kind before inclusion. People only started thinking they were possible when Microsoft allowed Nintendo to put Cuphead on the Switch and they saw that friendship between the two and started thinking: "Oh my God! Banjo is a likely possibility now.".

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...make-people-happy-unsure-about-series-future/

So according to Sakurai he didn't choose the last 6 DLC characters, merely approved them, how do you think this impacts Genos Chances?
The "Nintendo *picked* the DLC" could mean so many things. I personally think they simply had final say on characters and Sakurai was at least allowed to suggestion or push characters, but Nintendo has to give final approval. To deny the creator something like this, idk that just seems weird to me.

TL;DR: Sakurai will likely push Geno this season just as he (probably) pushed Banjo-Kazooie.

The same. Remember we’re in the timeline where Nintendo chose Banjo and Kazooie.
I still truly believe that was a pick pushed by Sakurai more than Nintendo. Nintendo just gave the go-ahead on it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The "Nintendo *picked* the DLC" could mean so many things. I personally think they simply had final say on characters and Sakurai was at least allowed to suggestion or push characters, but Nintendo has to give final approval. To deny the creator something like this, idk that just seems weird to me.

TL;DR: Sakurai will likely push Geno this season just as he (probably) pushed Banjo-Kazooie.

I still truly believe that was a pick pushed by Sakurai more than Nintendo. Nintendo just gave the go-ahead on it.
Yeah. Still a crazy timeline though that’s for damn sure.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
You know everything you said about Layton and Sora exactly describes what most people thought about Banjo & Kazooie's chances before they got in or per say before the Cuphead Switch port announcement. Almost everybody thought Banjo & Kazooie was impossible due to them being owned by one of Nintendo's direct competitors Microsoft. Despite Banjo & Kazooie being former 2nd party characters and Rare having a deep history within Nintendo, people didn't thought they were going to happen not even most of the Banjo-Kazooie fans. They had no Spirits, no reference of any kind before inclusion. People only started thinking they were possible when Microsoft allowed Nintendo to put Cuphead on the Switch and they saw that friendship between the two and started thinking: "Oh my God! Banjo is a likely possibility now.".
Im sorry.. But I dont see anything pointing to them being possable in my eyes unless im missing something but I dont see it

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Remember, Rare initiated the Banjo-Kazooie in Smash talks, and Nintendo said yes. As far as we know, Sakurai only says no if he doesn’t think he can get the character to work.

I still believe they consider fan-demand and may choose Geno.

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
If y'all allow me to go a little crackpot for a minute...

That leaked Sakurai column said there are no plans of new characters past the 6 of FP2. They haven't planned anything yet. But the thing is, right now we don't even know so little as who fighter 6 is, so we have a loooong way til the end of this pass. Going by FP1's rate, that'd be just over a year of new characters, even more so if you believe the December 2021 deadline and that they're stretching out reveals and releases that much. Either way, that's just enough time for planning, negotiations and all that jazz to take place. So yes, Sakurai is telling the truth and there's no plans for more content right now, but over the course of FP2's lifespan, they could very well start to take shape.

... do I actually believe that's the case though? I don't know. I'm always up for new characters and the speculation surrounding them and they always deliver, but I also see that the Smash team and especially Sakurai have worked their ass off several times over and FP2 will probably be a damn good ending for Smash Ultimate, if they really do set out for it.

So tl;dr I'll still be pushing for FP3 or at least some individual characters after our current pass a little, but for now I'm just happy we're getting more fighters at all.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Yeah. Still a crazy timeline though that’s for damn sure.
Oh I don't deny that for a second, it's a pretty great timeline. Only thing better probably would have been Grinch Leak being real for baseline, haha. But yeah. If Nintendo did the entire brainstorming, listing, and picking process, that is much more grim for Geno. Why would Nintendo even look his way? Why would Nintendo look Banjo-Kazooie's way, y'know? Sakurai *has* to be able to at least suggest "hey, fans REALLY want this character, and even *I'D* like this character, can we put them in?".

While I do think Byleth took precedent over whoever DLC 5 is, because of Nintendo, I do think Geno's chances overall will be unaffected. Sure they'd be even higher if Sakurai was doing the picking since he'd have final say, but I don't see Nintendo outright denying Sakurai some of his picks, considering these are likely the final 6 characters to be added to Smash for who knows how long (possibly forever). To fill up these last slots with Byleth-like picks would be insanely short-sighted for a quick advertising buck over putting in historic icons and legacies to what's the biggest, official, cross-over game in the history of gaming to this point.

PS: It's totally possible there's just "no plans at this time" for FP3 and we could still get an FP3 later. That or Sakurai could be lying (read: holding back) for a potential reveal later, like how we all got excited by "more DLC coming" in Terry's reveal.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Im sorry.. But I dont see anything pointing to them being possable in my eyes unless im missing something but I dont see it
Even if Disney won't allow Sora into Smash, I'm sure Level 5 would allow Layton in if Sakurai asks. You have to remember, Level 5 is one of the biggest developers in Japan and it's one of the few big Japanese gaming companies still not yet in the game.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
So animal crossing direct coming huh? I'm surprised. Seems like one this close to release is kinda pointless. I'm probably just going to wait and find out in game when it comes out at this point.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Even if Disney won't allow Sora into Smash, I'm sure Level 5 would allow Layton in if Sakurai asks. You have to remember, Level 5 is one of the biggest developers in Japan and it's one of the few big Japanese gaming companies still not yet in the game.
Exactly. Level 5 is on great terms with Nintendo, and I'm very certain they would allow him if they asked.

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
In general the only characters who I'd think aren't possible at all are the ones that originate from properties that are mainly based outside of game, even if the character was made specifically for the game in question. Everything else is just based on likeliness. I don't see them as likely, but impossible is to harsh.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
I.. dont know. I mean if you say so
Exactly. Level 5 is on great terms with Nintendo, and I'm very certain they would allow him if they asked.
The main thing is would they even bother to ask and pessimism is saying no

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Nintendo of Japan has no real reason to be against any additional Mario characters and Geno's directly tied to their flagship franchise/mascot, so I don't think it affects his chances at all.
Keep in mind, this was the same Nintendo that decided Banjo, the lesser known Terry Bogard, and Joker who's never been on a Nintendo console (and I swear to God, if you say he was a shill for Persona 5 Scramble I am going to break something) to be in the Fighter Pass, so they clearly have more in mind than just trying to include glossy shill picks as it would seem.

Last edited:

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
You guys remember that Japanese text where it said S2 was negotiated for last Summer and S3 is being negotiated for right now? Or something to that extent. Was that ever debunked?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...make-people-happy-unsure-about-series-future/

So according to Sakurai he didn't choose the last 6 DLC characters, merely approved them, how do you think this impacts Genos Chances?
I don't. Fighter's Pass turned out really good and even most of the fanbase agrees outside of Byleth which most people seem to have gotten over anyways. To quote the NoA ambassador, "Nintendo's not dumb." They know exactly what they're doing and have planned things out accordingly for the most impact. Sakurai has no so subtly suggested that Season 2 will be big fan favorites and I think Nintendo's well aware of the best characters to choose to please the fanbase.

T2by4

Smash Lord
I don't. Fighter's Pass turned out really good and even most of the fanbase agrees outside of Byleth which most people seem to have gotten over anyways. To quote the NoA ambassador, "Nintendo's not dumb." They know exactly what they're doing and have planned things out accordingly for the most impact. Sakurai has no so subtly suggested that Season 2 will be big fan favorites and I think Nintendo's well aware of the best characters to choose to please the fanbase.
I mean, joker was fine, but Banjo was the only one people actually asked for. I don't know if that's necessarily a good track record. The other characters play fine, but very little if anyone actually ever asked for them. Not sure where everyone has this idea that this next pass is gonna be the big fan favorite package. I think we all HOPE it is, but none of us really know.

Dynamic Worlok

Then to each their own, man. I just can't subscribe to it.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
This brings us to 100.
This theory falls apart because it ignores gender swaps, when many of them are considered separate characters, even within the game itself. Byleth had two splash screens specifically because they are separate characters and have different names in Japan

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Just speculation, where would Geno be on the Ever Growing Smash Ultimate artwork?
Probably in the front. Notice how both Cloud and Hero are in front of all other characters. It wouldn't surprise me if that's something Square requires.
Who you think the Iwata tribute could be? I think if anybody it's Balloon Fighter without a doubt. It was the first game Iwata coded for Nintendo was it not?
Balloon Fighter or BUST. Sakurai could use Villager as a base for him.
R E U S E D A S S E T S B O Y S

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
When did Sakurai suggest that? I believe you and all, just wanna see for myself.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
If someone keeps bringing up how they don’t think certain characters that aren’t Geno are going to make it why drag things out for over a page in the Geno thread by responding to them about it?

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
When did Sakurai suggest that? I believe you and all, just wanna see for myself.
Like I've said, every time Sakurai has brought up Season 2 there's always been this air of significance and finality that he didn't really have with the Fighter's Pass. The man hasn't outright said it but has very heavily implied it. There's definitely a different tone and approach, in my opinion.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I mean, joker was fine, but Banjo was the only one people actually asked for. I don't know if that's necessarily a good track record. The other characters play fine, but very little if anyone actually ever asked for them. Not sure where everyone has this idea that this next pass is gonna be the big fan favorite package. I think we all HOPE it is, but none of us really know.
There is no way Joker and Hero (or at least *something* DQ-related) weren't heavily requested by some people, at least in Japan. Terry and Byleth though for sure were out of nowhere.

Like I've said, every time Sakurai has brought up Season 2 there's always been this air of significance and finality that he didn't really have with the Fighter's Pass. The man hasn't outright said it but has very heavily implied it. There's definitely a different tone and approach, in my opinion.
I sure hope this is the case because it would put Geno from "extremely high chances" to a lock in my eyes, with the only thing getting in his way is SE being ****heads for whatever reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom