• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
Not only am I hoping for Geno for pass 2, I reached the point that I am demanding a new Zelda rep for pass 2 as well. One of the biggest franchises is being treated so haphazardly, its bizarre and confusing.
Well, you can at least count BotW Zelda out of the running. Sakurai shot that one down himself during this last presentation. If we get anymore Zelda characters, I would put my bet on one of the Champions. Maybe Rivali or that Garudo woman. She looks pretty BA.

Joker - A
Hero - A
Banjo - B+
Terry - S
Byleth - A+
Personally, I felt:

Joker - A (Was a "Sakurai Special", sure, but an awesome I-can't-believe-he-got-in moment combined with a cool and interesting moveset/mechanic)
Hero - C+ (I totally see his justification, but feck, so controversial to the game. RNG combined with the single most busted projectiles in the game: 24% off Zapple and 37% off Kafrizz that kills at 60-70%? Hard WTF)
Banjo - S (Ultra Fan Service combined with a super fun moveset. What's not to like? Plus they stand as proof that fan's still have at least SOME influence)
Terry - A (Another "Sakurai Special" but damn this guy is a blast to play. Flashy moves and incredibly easy combo game.)
Byleth - C (Fire Emblem. SHILL. Nuff said. Ironically, I want the stage and music more than the fighter.)

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well, you can at least count BotW Zelda out of the running. Sakurai shot that one down himself during this last presentation. If we get anymore Zelda characters, I would put my bet on one of the Champions. Maybe Rivali or that Garudo woman. She looks pretty BA.
****! I forgot about Urbosa. She would be pretty sweet in Smash. :love:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Impact makes sense and they can build off of her Hyrule Warriors style. And she ruins the 'one-shot Zelda characters shouldn't be added' counter that a some members of a certain fanbase (but not representing said fanbase) like to use to defend their additions.

Firox

Smash Master
****! I forgot about Urbosa. She would be pretty sweet in Smash. :love:
Heck yeah. She's got that shield and scimitar combo. Imagine mixing in some sexy lightning attacks. Maybe rip off that speedster move that the corresponding boss can do as a special that teleports you behind your opponent. That would be some sick DBZ **** going on.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Joker - A
Hero - A
Banjo - B+
Terry - S
Byleth - A+
Ooo I’ll join in this

Joker - C+ (plus for being a surprise but I had little interest in the character and don’t really like playing him)
Hero - B (got me to play DQ finally lol, and his bonkers moveset it so fun)
Banjo - SSS (“Banjo, Kazooie... we’re home”)
Terry - A+ (Found some new favorite old fighting games and damn this lad is fun)
Byleth - B+ (FETH is the best FE and we finally got a multi-weapon fighter besides Link)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Heck yeah. She's got that shield and scimitar combo. Imagine mixing in some sexy lightning attacks. Maybe rip off that speedster move that the corresponding boss can do as a special that teleports you behind your opponent. That would be some sick DBZ **** going on.
When you said mixing in sexy lighting attacks, I just picture Urbosa Flamenco dancing around the stage snapping her fingers with the Gerudo Valley music playing in my head.

The song already sounds like Flamenco music but speed up, it even sounds like it more.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
“hEy u GuYs ReMEmBeR nOt tO Be tOXiC iF ItS NoT GeNo ToMmOroW i KnOw hOw ToXiC U gEnO fAnS CaN Be! :ohwell::ohwell:

Meanwhile:
35842761-8541-4AE7-8426-9691F4E6F576.png

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Joker - B
Hero - B+
Banjo - S
Terry - B-
Byleth - A

As a Nintendo junkie, these are my thoughts.

Firox

Smash Master
“hEy u GuYs ReMEmBeR nOt tO Be tOXiC iF ItS NoT GeNo ToMmOroW i KnOw hOw ToXiC U gEnO fAnS CaN Be! :ohwell::ohwell:

Meanwhile:
View attachment 258340

Let me start by saying, LOL at this mook for claiming Byleth has big boobs. She doesn't. As a connoisseur and admirer of the female form, I can tell you that she's pretty average in the bust size department. Obviously not a Lucina Pancake, but no where near a Camilla Motorboat. The booty shorts and fishnet stockings are admittedly a little risque, but this poster totally missed the reason people were salty. It was the fact that the character was a fire emblem sword user (sort of). Being a reasonably attractive woman had nothing to do with it. Points for the faux rage though. Also, Byleth is both male and female so the claim is moot anyway.

....and what is she smoking with "all these big ***** girls getting into Smash"?! Who the heck is she referring to? Nana? Robin? Ooooh yeah, that big baggy coat sure makes 'em pop out, huh? Or could it be all these GUYS that we've been getting for DLC? Let's be honest here, Bayo's outfit is surprisingly conservative and the only notable hourglass running around here is ZS Samus who got into Smash TWO games ago. I can only imagine what this poster thinks of games like Street fighter or DOA with the giggle physics.

Last edited:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
Never seen a person dislike Banjo & Kazooie the most out of the whole pack. Honestly my reaction is exactly the opposite because Banjo & Kazooie were the only character I was happy to see in that whole lineup.
I don't dislike Banjo, quite the opposite.
I just rank the FP DLC characters based on songs, stage, and fun factor.

And Banjo was fun to play as, but not as fun as Hero or Terry imho.

I mean, I find Piranha Plant more interesting gameplay-wise than Joker and Banjo, in the end it's just my opinion.

I'm just glad we're getting more DLC fighters, and even though I really liked Byleth's inclusion, I wouldn't have been as ecstatic if they were the final DLC fighter for Smash Ultimate.

I'm grateful for all of the hardwork Mr. Sakurai and the development team have put into this game, but at the same time, I feel like I want more.

There's still a lot of great characters to choose for Smash DLC, and I cannot wait for jan 28th to pre-order Fighters Pass 2, some might disagree with Nintendo's/Sakurai's picks, but personally I just appreciate that they're making the Challenger Packs worth it, and not half-ass the job like Capcom did with SFV.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I see some of us are still upset or negative about Byleth. This might take a while for us to recover, for some of us, forever, maybe.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
Zelda representation is weird cause we’ve got all the major recurring characters besides Impa and

*shudders*

Tingle

I know we all ask for the one-offs like Skull Kid and Midna but at this point I feel like they’d be almost out of place without the others. Like if they had started adding them earlier it’d have been manageable.
I would love Midna, Urbosa, Pig Ganon or Ganon hell even Majora's Mask as a character.

Question though. So the 28th is the start of the for pre ordering Fighters Pass 2. Okay. Chances are we will get a direct from Nintendo at some point hopefully by the 28th or if not but quickly within the days. Fighters Pass was announced then they teased Joker. Call it what you want but they have to show SOMETHING before enticing people to go for their product. Would it be safe to assume that #6 will probably be a big one? I dont know if in terms of FAN SERVICE or from a Major Company or Major Icon but SOMETHING Major. To start things off with FP2? What you people think?

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I'll join in on the grading thing. For me here's how it goes:
Joker: A+ (I really dig Jokers design and he's really fun to play even tho his mechanic can be really hard to capitalize on. Also out of all DLC fighters I felt like Joker came from a franchise I wanted represented most in Smash due to my own gaming experience)

Hero: B (I'm all for more magic users, but overall I had no interest in Dragon Quest getting rep although I am considering picking up the new one. Hero is fun to play and super quirky but overall other than his specials his attacks feel samey to some others)

Banjo & Kazooie: S (I never played the games but had friends who's most wanted were the bear and bird so I was really happy to see them in. They destroyed the relevancy "rule", showed that fan favorites could get in DLC, and are that exact brand of non human mascot fighters that I want to see in Smash. On top of that they are also the character I find most fun to play in Smash)

Terry: B (Terry is not my cup of tea but neither are other fighting games. I am terrible with Terry but it's amazing watching players who are. And Terry 100% deserved the spot even if he doesn't appeal to me)

Byleth: C+ (as a FE fan I'm still annoyed at the number of characters in Smash. I feel really bad for Rex fans like really really bad for them even tho I'm not one myself. I am glad we finally have more proper FE representation like Robin that shows multiple facets of FE in one character, but it's a little late. Byleth looks really fun but came too little too late. Being the only first party character in the first pass, last one shown and without a double reveal to soften the blow, essentially being the last originally planned Smash fighter, etc. It's hard to forgive that stuff despite the clear love that went into this character. Others have also pointed out that there could have been better ways to incorporate multiple weapons into Byleth's set while giving them their own unique mechanics. Overall Byleth just doesn't fit. I'm not mad or even really disappointed. I'm just kinda indifferent)

Edit: Piranha Plant: A (not the character anyone asked for or was expected but certainly was the silly fun kind of character I love to see in Smash. Not to mention Plant brought a whole new playstyle very unique to itself into Smash)

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Didn't the mii costume guy who mentioned Smithy and Mallow also said he heard about Crash as a fighter? Fatmanonice Fatmanonice
Yes but no. The Mii costumes and Crash came from two different people, they just had the same confidant.

Because this has got me riled up, there's YET ANOTHER thing that's super suspicious about Blythe's Mii costumes. No Koei Tecmo costumes and no Fire Emblem costumes is pretty damn noticeable and then I realized... Tecmo has helped Nintendo with a lot of games. Metroid Other M, all the Hyrule Warrior games, and FIRE EMBLEM WARRIORS are all technically Tecmo games too. Ladies and gentlemen... Fire Emblem Warriors was one of the featured games in the Switch's pre launch presentation and released around the time of Mario Odyssey. It was released on TWO PLATFORMS and there are no traces of it in Smash Ultimate. Literally a Fire Emblem and Tecmo pack and they totally skipped out in acknowledging Tecmo's first major partnership with the Switch? Are you kidding me?!? Even the ****in' Fire Emblem mobile game got music in the base game. How many red flags need to be thrown up that Three Houses content probably wasn't planned from the get-go?

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I see some of us are still upset or negative about Byleth. This might take a while for us to recover, for some of us, forever, maybe.
Like give us one game without fire emblem DLC. that's all it'd take. Smash 6, add one fire emblem character base game and that's it. Zelda and kirby could use a turn.

Firox

Smash Master
I've been thinking about the Megaman X/EXE mii costumes and wonder a few things:

A) What does this mean for Capcom? If we were going to get another Capcom rep, wouldn't they have saved these for that? I guess we still have the Monster hunter costume, but that makes me wonder whether Monster hunter will get promoted or not.

B) I assume that this means any future Mega Man characters are pretty much dead. Sad. I like that series.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I would love Midna, Urbosa, Pig Ganon or Ganon hell even Majora's Mask as a character.

Question though. So the 28th is the start of the for pre ordering Fighters Pass 2. Okay. Chances are we will get a direct from Nintendo at some point hopefully by the 28th or if not but quickly within the days. Fighters Pass was announced then they teased Joker. Call it what you want but they have to show SOMETHING before enticing people to go for their product. Would it be safe to assume that #6 will probably be a big one? I dont know if in terms of FAN SERVICE or from a Major Company or Major Icon but SOMETHING Major. To start things off with FP2? What you people think?
Well given the board we’re on I’m hoping they start with Geno lol. But as for a prediction, I’m guessing that like with pass 1 they’ll start with a big crazy “WOAH LOOK WHAT UNEXPECTED CHARACTER IS IN” character. So either

1. a character you’d never think would be in Smash (Doomguy, Dante, someone from a game with violence and or blood)

OR

2. An upgrade. An AT, spirit, or costume

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I've been thinking about the Megaman X/EXE mii costumes and wonder a few things:

A) What does this mean for Capcom? If we were going to get another Capcom rep, wouldn't they have saved these for that? I guess we still have the Monster hunter costume, but that makes me wonder whether Monster hunter will get promoted or not.

B) I assume that this means any future Mega Man characters are pretty much dead. Sad. I like that series.
They really need to add Bass

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Sakurai: You guys want more Zelda reps? Well here is 8-Bit Link, Animated Series Link, and CDI Link. Have a nice day and thank you for watching. :troll:
Fun fact,

When I was first getting into Smash speculation, YouTube Poop was all I watched and there was a time where I unironically had Morshu and King Harkinian in my top 5 most wanted characters for Brawl.

Geno was still number one obviously but for some reason, I thought those were legit canon Zelda characters. (Or at least I wanted them to be)

RetroBro

Smash Ace
I'm honestly looking forward to the day when Nintendo has Smash return to a smaller scale, exclusively Nintendo game. Seeing everyone make demands of who's character outside of Nintendo that is the most relevant, popular, or has the best sales is tedious and really too grand in scope. Sakurai's done a pretty good job so far. But I feel like there are so many fandoms clashing with each other to a point of utter chaos. There are people who truly believe that this game is no longer a Nintendo game lmao.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

My theory is that the remaining 7 Smash 4 Mii costumes will be returning with 6, 7, and 8 because these were the first planned and if this Season has any "promotions", they will be the first ones out of the gate. Coincidentally, two are Square, three are Namco, and Capcom has clearly shown it gives zero ****s where they're put back in. My current theory:

6: Monster Hunter and Rathalos
7: Geno and Chocobo
8: Lloyd, Gil, and Heihachi

Like in Smash 4, 9, 10, and 11 will likely all be entirely new stuff to Smash. Smash 4 had Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy followed by Ryu, Cloud, and Bayo. Byleth is this DLC's Corrin and there's no getting around that because of how aggressively in your face it is. Now we just play the waiting for the remaining 6.

D

Deleted member

I will always consider it a massive waste of potential that we got classic Mega Man instead of MegaMan.EXE and maybe a little part of me really hoped EXE would get upgraded. Honestly though, when Zero, the hands down most popular Mega Man character, got put into an assist trophy, I pretty much knew it was over for Mega Man representation.

Still standing by my theory that the Rathalos armor got upgraded to full boss and will never come back, but who knows.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
More reasons why I call bull**** on Blythe being planned from the get-go:

-Could have been released literally days after Three Houses was released worldwide; wasn't. Time frame wise, Blythe should have been 2 and Hero should have been 3 but they weren't.

-Koei Tecmo literally helped develop Three Houses but Blythe has no Tecmo Mii costumes or Fire Emblem Mii costumes? That's super suspicious.

-Keep in mind that with the previous two points in mind, Sakurai would have had to have finalized the plans for the Fighter's Pass in early November 2018. Sakurai himself shared that Joker, Hero, and Banjo were all being worked on in December. Why would a first party character, especially one for an upcoming summer release be pushed to the very back of the Fighter's Pass? Again, if always planned, Byleth would have been like Roy and Corrin and released super close to releases of their respective games. Byleth was released half a year later, significantly later than the peak sales of the game. With this in mind, Hero was still released BEFORE Dragon Quest XI S so still counted as a promotional character. Smash characters encourage sales. From a business standpoint, it makes no sense especially since the Smash fanbase has been pretty adamant about not wanting more Fire Emblem characters.

Again, I call bull****. Sakurai's a smart man and too many decisions made are the polar opposite in regards to this character. Great addition but if you try to convince me that a very obvious promotional character missed the game's release by half a year, is sandwiched with major third party icons, includes no Mii costumes related to it despite being first party, and was originally going to totally close off DLC despite overwhelming evidence that this would have been a catastrophic decision, I can't take that seriously. Blythe isn't unbelievable but all the circumstances surrounding him definitely are.

There's also no reason for this character to be kept this hard of a secret either for a mountain of reasons outside of knowing people would be pissed. Nintendo KNEW 5 was probably going to land like a wet sock because there was literally no reason to tell us there was going to be more DLC after 5 a full four and a half months before even revealing them. They could have done it during this presentation and that's the elephant in the room. The Fighter's Pass was naturally announced after the base roster was revealed, Season 2 was formally announced before 3, 4, and 5 were even released. Again, all of this is highly suspect with all things considered.
I highly believe with your speculation of Byleth switching places early in the fighter's pass cycle, but there's some things that are bothering me through all of this speculation and I'm wondering what the info we have it's pointing towards:
- If the Byleth Mii Costume info was a character, why can't the info about other Three Houses Mii Costumes be related to the costume colors? Why they wouldn't come with Byleth and wait for 6 when Ubisoft could've swapped with them and be in Pack #6, making it one random dump instead of two?
- Is Robbie Rotten really Number One for this second fighters pass? Back in the Pokémon Direct, there was legit info (No third version, remakes, more Pokemon/expansions), but it came to a wrong assumption (Diamond and Pearl remakes instead of a expansion pass and Mystery Dungeon remakes). If the info bits for this were like, for example, "Upgrade", "First-Party Character only", "Mario" and "Fan favorite", they mean Waluigi, right? Organize them in another way: "Upgrade", "Mario", "Fan Favorite" = Geno; "First-Party Character only" = Byleth; Taking these bits of info one by one and recombining in many different ways is something to keep in mind for the future, just like how we know that companies can just be Mii Fighters and we now have the possibility of the Bethesda info can be related to that.
I know these are questions with no clear answers, just something to wonder about this speculation cycle.

Right now, my predictions for Fighter Pass Vol. 2 are:
- CP6: Geno. There's too many things lining up for him right now, although it's not 100% yet. It's also a good way to start the fighters pass by ending the Trifecta.
- CP7: Lloyd. It would line up with the development timeline together with the trademarked logos, and somebody needs to bring back those Namco costumes.
- CP8: Master Chief. Based on the Microsoft push and now Cuphead appearing in Smash, the Spartan is in the best possible spot. While he works better as a closer for the Fighter Pass, if he was heard already and it's being developed right now, then he's coming sooner rather than later.
- CP9: A Capcom character. I'm split between Phoenix Wright and Dante, though the speculation right now is banking on Dante.
- CP10: A Dark Souls character. A new Japanese company appearing will probably happen, and I'm banking on Solaire/Chosen Undead.
- CP11: Sora. And I think he will be the one nobody will know until release. The character who crosses the most amount of worlds into a single one + big fan favorite everywhere. Perfect closer. I know "Smash reveals never end on a high note", but if the fanbase got angry when there's more coming, imagine when there isn't. So ending on someone really high requested could mitigate that problem.

I was going to put a promotional pick in there, but something caught my eye: we have the Ancient Armor as a bonus, and I think it's going to appear again in BOTW 2. It's big game for this year and would fit well, but then why release the costume as a Bonus? If any promotional picks happen, it will be from a 2021 game, replacing CP10.
[/SPOILER]
Some other thoughts:

1. a FE fighter in the pass officially obliterated the fan rule of third party characters only as ssbu dlc even before the second FP has begun and that’s great. A semi positive in Geno’s direction considering he’s a joint SE/Nintendo creation.

2. If I was an Springman or Rex/Pyrrha fan I would be so pissed right now. I didn’t even want either of them, but to be specifically told your character was “too new” for the FP and then a year later see an even newer character get in the pass? That’s some ice cold ****. And a character from an overrepresented franchise no less.
Xenoblade fans like me got it even worse: we lost twice to Fire Emblem in the promotional DLC choice, we didn't get a newcomer or a new stage in Ultimate (it's all I needed), X context was really scarce. But there's still hope that it can happen, although really small. If anything, when the next Smash happens in 2030, Xenoblade will probably be a beast, so we will get a lot more fighters and stages in the future.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Yes but no. The Mii costumes and Crash came from two different people, they just had the same confidant.

Because this has got me riled up, there's YET ANOTHER thing that's super suspicious about Blythe's Mii costumes. No Koei Tecmo costumes and no Fire Emblem costumes is pretty damn noticeable and then I realized... Tecmo has helped Nintendo with a lot of games. Metroid Other M, all the Hyrule Warrior games, and FIRE EMBLEM WARRIORS are all technically Tecmo games too. Ladies and gentlemen... Fire Emblem Warriors was one of the featured games in the Switch's pre launch presentation and released around the time of Mario Odyssey. It was released on TWO PLATFORMS and there are no traces of it in Smash Ultimate. Literally a Fire Emblem and Tecmo pack and they totally skipped out in acknowledging Tecmo's first major partnership with the Switch? Are you kidding me?!? Even the ****in' Fire Emblem mobile game got music in the base game. How many red flags need to be thrown up that Three Houses content probably wasn't planned from the get-go?
Koei Tecmo actually did alot of Three Houses development, just throwing that in there.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ni...uses-was-largely-developed-by-koei-tecmo/amp/

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Anybody who tries to use the Capcom/Koei Tecmo relationship to make a point about KT dropping out of Smash is desperately reaching at best. They literally gave Fatal Frame to base game Ultimate and also worked on the Byleth trailer yesterday. Not to mention, they literally knew Capcom was going to be in the game since the beginning of the project, so there's zero chance that they initially decided on that and then jumped ship. Smash takes way too many moving parts and decisions to just uproot an entire playable character of the DLC season like that and it just comes off as a weird attempt to justify Byleth when the justification is Sakurai saw the possibility for an interesting character in Byleth and Three Houses did very well for FE in general, so Nintendo and Sakurai jumped on it.

Koei Tecmo is a company that has business interests and understands how the industry works, not a high school student who can't handle being at the same party with someone with whom they got into an unrelated fight.
Pretty much this. And it would not be for Toei's best to try and set demand on what is the biggest videogame company in Japan.

Koei Tecmo actually did alot of Three Houses development, just throwing that in there.
Koei Techmo were the ones that did the most of the job, with just a skeleton crew from Intelligent System being onboard with it.

-Could have been released literally days after Three Houses was released worldwide; wasn't. Time frame wise, Blythe should have been 2 and Hero should have been 3 but they weren't.
Easy counter-argument. They learned from Corrin, who got a lot more slack because his game was never released in the west when he was announced

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Easy counter-argument. They learned from Corrin, who got a lot more slack because his game was never released in the west when he was announced
They knew Byleth was going to be a Corrin-tier reaction and did it anyway. Sakurai was literally doing damage control within the direct. Even with 3H being released months ago and getting a positive reception they knew it wasn’t going to be received well.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
They learned from Corrin and made a good FE game this time :ultpacman:
They still decided on putting in Byleth ATLEAST 8-9 months before his game was out period according to Sakurai. Nintendo probably wanted a character from a recent game and Sakurai chose FE.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm honestly looking forward to the day when Nintendo has Smash return to a smaller scale, exclusively Nintendo game. Seeing everyone make demands of who's character outside of Nintendo that is the most relevant, popular, or has the best sales is tedious and really too grand in scope. Sakurai's done a pretty good job so far. But I feel like there are so many fandoms clashing with each other to a point of utter chaos. There are people who truly believe that this game is no longer a Nintendo game lmao.
Wouldn't that rule out Geno, though?

I don't really get the mindset - I've seen people say that Smash Bros. needs to go back to being purely Nintendo, and all of the third party characters need to be removed to "make Smash Bros. great again" (nobody's actually used those words, but that's the sort of feeling that I get from it), but third party characters have often been some of the most exciting or unexpected reveals in Smash Bros. history (Snake, Sonic, Cloud, Banjo-Kazooie, etc.), and without the support of third party companies, Nintendo wouldn't have lasted as long as it has. (the performance of the Wii U seems to be enough proof of that, though it's kind of a chicken and the egg situation - did the Wii U sell poorly because third parties abandoned it, or did third parties abandon the Wii U because it sold poorly? Either way, third parties abandoning it didn't help sales going forward)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
"Fatman, why are you still predicting Igiulaw for 6? I'm coming to your house to personally beat you up, RIGHT NOW!"

I think people sleep on how big of a deal Rahoomihe is. 41 game appearances over almost 20 years. He's been in games developed by Namco, SEGA, Konami, and Square Enix. Outside of Smash, he's appeared with giants like Pac-Man and Sonic. When he wasn't in Mario Kart 7, thousands died. He was literally the first AT shown for Smash Ultimate. Don't even get me started on the dude's raw meme power and the fact that there's merchandise out the ass for him, including Amiibo. This is outside insider stuff. This is acknowledging that despite never appearing outside of spin-offs, he's point blank one of Nintendo's most popular characters which, as Smash Bros has showcased, there are literally thousands. If you were to do a global poll of favorite Nintendo characters, he'd probably be top 20, if not top 10. Again, if we're totally honest, he's the biggest Nintendo character that's not playable yet by a wide margin. Nobody has appeared in more games over as many years, nobody is more liked, and nobody is more recognized globally that isn't playable yet. Controversial? Perhaps but there's no denying he's an enormous not only gaming but pop culture icon and, unpopular opinion, but more noteworthy than more than half the playable cast if we're brutally honest.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
They knew Byleth was going to be a Corrin-tier reaction and did it anyway. Sakurai was literally doing damage control within the direct. Even with 3H being released months ago and getting a positive reception they knew it wasn’t going to be received well.
It would still get far worse received if they did a Corrin aka release him before the game was released. That's what I¨m trying to say. Byleth didn¨t get as much of a anti-reaction because the game has been released for a couple of months

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I can't even begin to imagine how bad the reaction would have been if that was the case. With the Hero and Banjo reveal, it covered a lot of bases, and at least one of those characters was going to make people happy regardless of what region you were in. If people had waited after Hero's reveal, hoping for a second reveal, and getting that second character only for it to be Byleth (whose game wouldn't have even been out yet at that point), people would have been even more furious than they are now.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
It would still get far worse received if they did a Corrin aka release him before the game was released. That's what I¨m trying to say. Byleth didn¨t get as much of a anti-reaction BECAUSE the game has been released for a couple of months
I dont even know If it would be worse though, the fact that literally everyone including Sakurai himself hyped this up, making this the super secret character, the final character of the pass, and have it be THIS. That has alot to do with it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
A day later, I'm still angry and disappointed. I like Fire Emblem, but putting in another character from the franchise when players already joke about too many of them.

I'm glad the moveset is unique. They just should've used it on a character from a franchise that didn't already have seven reps.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
"Fatman, why are you still predicting Igiulaw for 6? I'm coming to your house to personally beat you up, RIGHT NOW!"

I think people sleep on how big of a deal Rahoomihe is. 41 game appearances over almost 20 years. He's been in games developed by Namco, SEGA, Konami, and Square Enix. Outside of Smash, he's appeared with giants like Pac-Man and Sonic. When he wasn't in Mario Kart 8, thousands died. He was literally the first AT shown for Smash Ultimate. Don't even get me started on the dude's raw meme power and the fact that there's merchandise out the ass for him, including Amiibo. This is outside insider stuff. This is acknowledging that despite never appearing outside of spin-offs, he's point blank one of Nintendo's most popular characters which, as Smash Bros has showcased, there are literally thousands. If you were to do a global poll of favorite Nintendo characters, he'd probably be top 20, if not top 10. Again, if we're totally honest, he's the biggest Nintendo character that's not playable yet by a wide margin. Nobody has appeared in more games over as many years, nobody is more liked, and nobody is more recognized globally that isn't playable yet. Controversial? Perhaps but there's no denying he's an enormous not only gaming but pop culture icon and, unpopular opinion, but more noteworthy than more than half the playable cast if we're brutally honest.
Bowler Hat Guy was even in Nintendo Monopoly, for what that’s worth (he and Wario were Baltic and Mediterranean lol). His memetic status as being a loser is very widespread in video game pop culture

D

Deleted member

It would still get far worse received if they did a Corrin aka release him before the game was released. That's what I¨m trying to say. Byleth didn¨t get as much of a anti-reaction because the game has been released for a couple of months
Honestly in this situation it should be an eye opener for Nintendo. We don't hate these Fire Emblem characters because of how obvious a shill their inclusion is, we hate them because we have enough. Too many. You cannot add a Fire Emblem character to the game and expect us to pay extra for them and be happy about it. It's just not how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom