• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Well if they wanted an iconic enemy I think the cyberdemon is still a bigger deal. But frankly doomguy is far more iconic than anyone in his rouges gallery so idk.I'm a geno fan so It's not my battle to fight anyway
I really think we’re selling Geno short in terms of the VGAs. The majority of people who watch it are not casual gamers, and id think the same applies to smash fans who watch it.
Yeah but that's a multiplatform group where Nintendo fans are a sizable minority, even among them it's still mainly a smash fan base thing so it seems way too niche outside of a Nintendo venue to go over well with the crowd. I was willing to believe the evo thing because it was during ultimates time slot but this is way generalized to work well imo.

Last edited:

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Skimmed the thread and didnt see anyone bring up this recently released Mallow Mii hat Wii U mod. Not sure how this effects things if at all. Is it easy to port mods between Wii U and Ultimate or are there mods for Ken, the Dragon Quest stage, and the Doom Mii hat for Wii U?
Just doing a visual comparison, theyre not the same hat. The one in Ultimate has more round checks, the pink part appears slightly angled, eyes are inward, the cut off point is a bit higher, and the shading is different.

We’re still good guys false alarm

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Smash Ultimate modding hasn't gotten to Mii costumes yet as I've posted previously

View attachment 244914
Earlier someone suggested that a modder might have made a huge breakthrough with Mii costumes and wanted to show it off in a big way. Seems like a possibility to me. After all, there are a lot of artists who create fake leak in order to gain some attention. Wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Alright, so here's a recap in why it's probably real:

- Many modders have come forward to say modding Mii costumes is unbelievably difficult and flat out admit that nobody has successfully done it to this degree yet.

-People have noticed that Ken's Suryuken connects better and does slightly more damage, very indicative of Nintendo has done buffs with this game.

-Lot of people behind the scenes are now being kind of coy and insiders being cheeky ******** in unison is ironically a good thing.

-The models for Mallow or the demony thingy don't exist anywhere on the internet.

Now then, the meat and potatoes, why I seriously doubt Geno's a Mii costume:

-Lines up with the Mii costume leak from July and more or less verifies it.

-Plenty of opportunities to sweep the legs of Geno fans if he wasn't in. Could have been an assist trophy but wasn't. Could have been a costume with Hero but wasn't. Why wait until the very end of the first Fighter Pass to make a big deal of a RETURNING costume? On that note...

-We have yet to have old costumes come with new costumes from their respective franchises. For example, MegaMan simply had Zero and Protoman return. Sonic had Knuckles and Tails. Going back to the Mii costume leak, I feel like Geno's absence is noteworthy and again points out that he'd be a huge exception, especially in the light that it would be a whopping 4 Square Enix costumes added just because otherwise. Literally why and I also feel like Square Enix using all these resources for nickel and dime DLC would be miserably outside of their character.

-The kicker: Geno's continued presence in backroom conversations and credible leaks for over a year to merely come out as a costume borders on the obtuse. I know this fanbase is used to getting kicked in the nuts but this takes expecting disappointment to heights I don't think humanity was ever meant to experience.

This all said, the mountain of evidence is super ****ing tall now and we've been climbing it together for over a year now; let's not fall off in exhaustion when we're this agonizingly close to the summit.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I've gotta say, I'm all aboard this hype train. If I'm gonna get burned, then I'm gonna burn out in a blaze of glory.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

- Many modders have come forward to say modding Mii costumes is unbelievably difficult and flat out admit that nobody has successfully done it to this degree yet.

-People have noticed that Ken's Suryuken connects better and does slightly more damage, very indicative of Nintendo has done buffs with this game.

-Lot of people behind the scenes are now being kind of coy and insiders being cheeky ******** in unison is ironically a good thing.

-The models for Mallow or the demony thingy don't exist anywhere on the internet.

-Plenty of opportunities to sweep the legs of Geno fans if he wasn't in. Could have been an assist trophy but wasn't. Could have been a costume with Hero but wasn't. Why wait until the very end of the first Fighter Pass to make a big deal of a RETURNING costume? On that note...

-We have yet to have old costumes come with new costumes from their respective franchises. For example, MegaMan simply had Zero and Protoman return. Sonic had Knuckles and Tails. Going back to the Mii costume leak, I feel like Geno's absence is noteworthy and again points out that he'd be a huge exception, especially in the light that it would be a whopping 4 Square Enix costumes added just because otherwise. Literally why and I also feel like Square Enix using all these resources for nickel and dime DLC would be miserably outside of their character.

-The kicker: Geno's continued presence in backroom conversations and credible leaks for over a year to merely come out as a costume borders on the obtuse. I know this fanbase is used to getting kicked in the nuts but this takes expecting disappointment to heights I don't think humanity was ever meant to experience.

This all said, the mountain of evidence is super ****ing tall now and we've been climbing it together for over a year now; let's not fall off in exhaustion when we're this agonizingly close to the summit.
I always love reading your posts Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , you're a awesome dude.

Last edited:

vivala

Smash Journeyman

So Jon from GameXplain doesn't believe the leak is real and says there is a lot of things going against it. What exactly?
It mainly seems to be the possibility of modding (he seemingly doesn't/didn't know mii costume modding not being a thing), showing miis rather than characters being a suspicious choice (if the video is faked somehow then hats would presumably be easier to fake than fully-animated characters), and the homage to the Ken leak may just be a trick to convince us (fake leakers love aping the style of real leaks).

I personally don't find those points that convincing, but if you're being skeptical then they're something worth considering.

domriver

Smash Lord
saw the image and video link. im at a loss of words. Reading/Skimming thru this thread. could it be ??? - guess we have to wait and see. Hype Responsible people. *hoping for a nintendo direct announcement *

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice

And here I am doing the best I can to convince myself that it’s a fake leak lol. Hard to ignore the rest of the evidence with things panning out this way.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It mainly seems to be the possibility of modding (he seemingly doesn't/didn't know mii costume modding not being a thing), showing miis rather than characters being a suspicious choice (if the video is faked somehow then hats would presumably be easier to fake than fully-animated characters), and the homage to the Ken leak may just be a trick to convince us (fake leakers love aping the style of real leaks).

I personally don't find those points that convincing, but if you're being skeptical then they're something worth considering.
I don't see anything going against the leak as Jon Xplains no pun intended lol! Maybe they're trying to brush it off as a fake because they obviously know the truth.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Fatmanonice

If it's okay to discuss... any word on when we might find out if this leak is the real deal or not (whether through Terry's release, a Smash Direct, or possibly something else)?

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
My only complaint was that this didn't drop on the 1st. The retribution for getting grinched would have felt insane.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
My only complaint was that this didn't drop on the 1st. The retribution for getting grinched would have felt insane.
If this is fake which I highly doubt it is, I'm highly confident this is the Grinch leaker who made this mod lmao! We still don't know who that even was lol! :joyful:

vivala

Smash Journeyman
Maybe they're trying to brush it off as a fake because they obviously know the truth.
Eh, I'm more inclined to say they just don't think it's real. People were saying the same thing about their response to the Grinch leak and we all know how that turned out.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

So Jon from GameXplain doesn't believe the leak is real and says there is a lot of things going against it. What exactly?
Someone in the Discord may scold me for sharing this but, if GameExplain takes the time to make a video about a rumor, it's true like 90% of the time. They have super close connections with Nintendo so if they think a rumor is bull****, they'll simply not talk about it or give it any true air time because, if anything, I've learned through my ongoing elbow rubbing that Nintendo hates fake leaks slightly less than real ones because they're almost more of a pain in the ass to deal with thanks to their frequency.

Tonberry2k

Smash Cadet
A couple notes;

Nintendo took down a Megalovania track on Youtube a couple months before the Sans costume + Megalovania dropped.
They also took down two SMRPG tracks. This means there is probably another costume in addition to Mallow. My money is on Geno costume's return because I don't want to be disappointed.

Just because a series gets a costume does not mean they're getting an accompanying playable character. See: Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Goemon, Undertale, etc.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I just got up. I check my phone to see how Smashboards is going.

Find out that my 1st and 3rd most wanted characters might be in.

A very weird way to start the day, but you will have no complaint from me.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I went to bed early last night and woke up to a papagenos papagenos vid notification and tbh thought it was going to be a rumor of a video but HOLY ****. The only reason I’m not audibly freaking out right now is that it’s 5 in the morning and my gf is still sleeping. Very very funny to me that some people on that /v/ thread were using the “mii costume for Mallow doesn’t mean Geno is coming” mental gymnastics but conveniently not mentioning that’d apply to doomslayer too. You can really see the panic in some antigenofriends and it’s so beautiful. If it’s fake or Geno’s not in we will pick ourselves up and move on. If it’s real and he’s in we will live forever in Valhalla.

GET ****ING HYPE

You think I'm high on hype? I'm high on disappointment!

What if that leak was fake? What if it were just mere Mii costumes? Will you come knocking on my inbox with some death threats?
There are better places to go seethe than a thread of people being hype. Strawmen about death threats just make you look petty.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

While everyone just criticizes my views over and over.
I honestly don’t, because I would also love more female fighters in the roster.

This may seem like an odd question: but do you have anxiety?

You do seem to sound like me when the anxiety takes the worst of me at Discord.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Well if they really want to do a double reveal with Terry then it makes sense to me why they would have made this the best kept announcement in smash history as fatman put it a few days ago. Hopefully we get somthing this week because the suspense is going to kill me if it doesn't after today.

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I just want to take a quick second to point out that, though I can’t take too much credit because the prediction list itself was pretty long, I technically did call it a few days ago with this pattern theory:

I’ve been thinking a lot about who Fighter #5 could be and the Pass in general, and I’ve noticed two particular aspects of it all that I really don’t see mentioned much.

1. Banjo-Kazooie is the newest playable third-party franchise.

No, no, I know that they just came out in September, that’s not what I mean. With Bayonetta essentially going full second-party in recent years, the most recent playable third-party franchise in Smash is from a series that debuted just over twenty years ago. SMT and Metal Gear both predate it, even Persona itself does.

It’s not something that you really notice when you see a bunch of recent characters like Joker and Hero, but franchise-wise, that really does turn out to be the case.

2. If you turn the clock back twenty years, there are no returning companies in the Fighters Pass.

The two characters that kicked off the pass that most consider as being from returning companies... technically aren’t. Atlus and Enix were both completely separate companies with their own original game franchises that started far, far before the acquisition and merger respectively, and literally nothing from either company appeared in Smash before Ultimate(I would say “before their DLC” but technically Atlus did have a single #FE spirit).

While I don’t necessarily 100% think that the final character has to follow the above two criteria(being an older character from a company that hasn’t had playable representation in the game yet), here are some revised #5 predictions that follow this setup:

-Master Chief (serves as Microsoft’s introduction, considering Rare separately)
-Digimon Rep (serves as Bandai’s introduction)
-Lara Croft (Eidos)
-Ryu Hayabusa(unlikely due to Sabi’s source, I’m aware, but I’m noting it anyway since it does fit the criteria to a T)
-Crash/Spyro(same as the above)
-Ratchet (Sony, since both Crash and Spyro are Activision now)
-Doomguy (Id/Bethesda)
-Scorpion (Midway)
-Gordon Freeman/TF Class (Valve)
-Reimu (Touhou Project)

The newest characters there are both from 2001, but even then it wouldn’t surprise me if the pick was substantially older. Hell, I’m still not counting out a truly out-of-nowhere retro rep like Space Invaders or Pitfall Harry.

Again, I want to stress that I don’t think that the final character absolutely 100% has to follow these criteria, it’s more of a potential theory.
Post-pass obviously opens up a whole separate can of worms which Geno himself exemplifies(being a Square character, a Mario character, and a Spirit), but on another note...

...With Doomguy being #5, the most recent playable third-party franchise is still 1998’s Banjo-Kazooie(since Bayo’s effectively second-party in recent years), which is incredibly weird to me.

Last edited:

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Gamexplain is probably in nintendo’s pocket and likely know whos next, so they have to deny it. And with the Grinch leak they couldnt be bothered to cover it much.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Geno is likely a Mii costume in addition to Mallow tho. Can't believe three characters will come out soon (Terry, Doom Guy, Geno). So probably, Geno Mii costume meh.

D

Deleted member

Well...it seems like.
Anxiety is what I would call a prick for the lack of using a more fitting description without the censor filter.

It makes us see fictional wars and conflicts that don’t actually exist, and look at other people as someone who is against us.

I have anxiety, and it can be really hard to difference our fears from reality... but believe me when I say things aren’t as grimm as we may imagine.

I for one can say that most of the people who have talked with you today also want female characters. osby osby for example is interested about Kasumi getting added.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Ridley trailer sequel starts with Samus battling Ridley, who lunges for an attack,but his tail is grabbed and he's slammed into a wall by Doom Slayer.

In the background, Ridley battles Doom Slayer and Samus, and in the foreground, Mario is aching. A silhouette stands over him and Mario smiles before standing up by taking their hand. Geno is revealed and charges towards the battle beside Mario.

That would be cool.

D

Deleted member

Anxiety is what I would call a prick for the lack of using a more fitting description without the censor filter.

It makes us see fictional wars and conflicts that don’t actually exist, and look at other people as someone who is against us.

I have anxiety, and it can be really hard to difference our fears from reality... but believe me when I say things aren’t as grimm as we may imagine.

I for one can say that most of the people who have talked with you today also want female characters. osby osby for example is interested about Kasumi getting added.
Well, one of my idols is currently suffering from anxiety, so...

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Ridley trailer sequel starts with Samus battling Ridley, who lunges for an attack,but his tail is grabbed and he's slammed into a wall by Doom Slayer.

In the background, Ridley battles Doom Slayer and Samus, and in the foreground, Mario is aching. A silhouette stands over him and Mario smiles before standing up by taking their hand. Geno is revealed and charges towards the battle beside Mario.

That would be cool.
Seeing doomguy duke it out with Ridley like that would make me squeal but I really want geno to have his own spotlight too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom