• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, the only characters I could see from Grinch hoax getting promoted to playable are Geno and MAYBE Isaac anyway. Shadow's dead in the water (probably because of SEGA), and both Mach Rider and Chorus Kids... nah. I just can't see them happening. They're not really that demanded and they were pretty quickly glossed over on that 'leak'.
If by "glossed over" you mean "not as hyped for", sure, but their inclusion DID lend the leak even MORE legitimacy, as they were almost 100% planned for Smash 4 before being cut. Personally I'd love to see them included just for that reason. I want "Everyone Is Here" to be fully realized, with EVERYONE who was ever seriously planned for Smash to make it into Ultimate (Chorus Kids, Dixie, etc)

So in case no one's mentioned it yet, it's now official. Nintendo is still calling the shots for the additional DLC...

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2019...ide-super-smash-bros-ultimates-fighters-pass/
Once again, I feel the need to point this out, as the article sourced literally says this:

Nintendo gave Sakurai a LIST of OPTIONS, but SAKURAI CHOOSES FROM THAT LIST.

If anything, the current FP lineup is concrete proof of that. Banjo aside, these have all been hardcore, obvious Sakurai picks, and nothing close to shill picks.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
If by "glossed over" you mean "not as hyped for", sure, but their inclusion DID lend the leak even MORE legitimacy, as they were almost 100% planned for Smash 4 before being cut. Personally I'd love to see them included just for that reason. I want "Everyone Is Here" to be fully realized, with EVERYONE who was ever seriously planned for Smash to make it into Ultimate (Chorus Kids, Dixie, etc)
Yeah, that's exactly what I meant. Personally, I would have loved to see Mach Rider myself. It's such a shame.

I think the big take away is, yes, Nintendo is still calling the shots. YET, Sakurai has the final say as far as "I can make this work".

The kicker I feel is, these will JUST be fighters. Maybe a new track or two, no stage. If we are continuing to get new franchises in Smash, what other franchises have not had a rep in Smash? I can name a couple.

Spike Chunsoft - Possibly Danganronpa (Monokuma, would be the craziest pick)
FromSoftware - Dark Souls
Tecmo (Koei) - Ryu Hayabusa or Lu Bu....(Hahaha who am I kidding!)
Ubisoft - Rayman
BioWare - Commander Shephard
Bethesda - Doom Slayer or Elder Scrolls rep
ProjektRed - Geralt

Do we think Nintendo would continue the route of adding new franchises? Or focus on the ones they have AFTER the fighters pass and include no other companies/franchises?
I can see most of these... except for BioWare getting a rep and Geralt getting in. BioWare is very much in the drain right now and Geralt is technically a fourth party.

T2by4

Smash Lord
So I don't know if any of you know of him, but Aaronitmar did a video on the extra DLC fighters and who might get in, and he thinks that Geno will be the next Square Enix rep instead of Sora if there is one and I think he made some pretty good points. I just thought it was neat and wanted to share it.
Completely agree with him, he is the FINAL piece missing. Im absolutely LOVING all the Geno hype he has gotten this week. Already 3 smash youtubers have come out this week in support of him. This is what im talking about! We need all eyes on Geno, Nintendo HAS to know his popularity since this may be our absolute last chance of ever seeing him return. We gotta get him in Genobros.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
I want Geno thats the ONLY character left aside from Ridley and King K Rool and Banjo-Kazooie only one left is Geno. :D

I do hope this DLC has first party characters or second - i mean it doesnt have to be 3rd only. I already mentioned a small list on a previous post i made.

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
I want Geno thats the ONLY character left aside from Ridley and King K Rool and Banjo-Kazooie only one left is Geno. :D

I do hope this DLC has first party characters or second - i mean it doesnt have to be 3rd only. I already mentioned a small list on a previous post i made.
Even if it is only 3rd party Genos still fine. He’s own by square so he is 3rd party despite being a Mario character.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I’m really not a big fan of Nintendo picking all of the DLC, but I trust that Sakurai will somehow make Geno happen. Even if Nintendo doesn’t pick Geno or he’s not in the bunch of characters that are being chosen I still think Geno could end up like Piranha Plant and maybe be a bonus character you can get before the 2nd Pass.

Firox

Smash Master
Once again, I feel the need to point this out, as the article sourced literally says this:

Nintendo gave Sakurai a LIST of OPTIONS, but SAKURAI CHOOSES FROM THAT LIST.

If anything, the current FP lineup is concrete proof of that. Banjo aside, these have all been hardcore, obvious Sakurai picks, and nothing close to shill picks.
I feel the need to point out that I, for one, never implied that Nintendo picks = shill picks. Also, just because Sakurai has the final say doesn't mean that Nintendo isn't still technically calling the shots. We don't know how limited that list is. For all we know, Geno, Shantae, etc, etc aren't even on it. If Sakurai was 100% in control, he wouldn't have bothered to point out corporate Nintendo's involvement.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I feel you bro. I remember Game Awards happening and Joker was announced. Everyone was celebrating and I was just like... “uhh, who?” I legit thought they added Joker from Batman when I first read it online
Knowing my luck. We will keep getting DLC characters till the end of the Switch's lifespan but they will all be characters from games I somehow haven't played. lmao
Let me quote a nicer version of what I have to say before I go in hard.

Try looking at it another way - if you don't know who Joker is, play Persona. If you don't know who Hero is, play any of those Dragon Quest games. If you don't know who Terry is, play an SNK game.

The amount of options that you have are going to vary heavily, I'll admit. If you're sticking purely with Nintendo consoles, then Persona Q2 on the 3DS seems to be your best bet for Joker, but that's a spin-off that takes place towards the end of Persona 5's story, so I feel like that would be confusing to jump into if you haven't played Persona 5. Still, Dragon Quest 11 has a free demo on the Switch's eShop (along with Dragon Quest 8 being on the 3DS, and a region-free collection of Dragon Quest 1-3 with Japanese, English, and Chinese translations coming to the Switch in Japan), and there are a TON of SNK games on the eShop for fairly cheap. (I'd recommend King of Fighters 98 and Garou: Mark of the Wolves)

Use the inclusion of characters that you don't know about as an opportunity to expand your horizons. It got me into series like Metal Gear, Persona, Earthbound, and Fire Emblem, and I might not have considered playing those series if not for Smash Bros.
Yeah, now for my version: when you get four out of five characters revealed and you don't care about any of them, it becomes less about the choices themselves and more about your tastes.

So far, here is was the FP covers:
  1. Joker - Modern RPGs/JRPGs
  2. Hero - Retro RPGs/JRPGs
  3. Banjo & Kazooie - 3D Platformers
  4. Terry Bogard - Classic Fighting Games
This is actually a wide variety of genres when you consider all the games within them that have characters that we love. If you don't recognize these characters or don't care about them...maybe you need to play more games? All this talk about diversity, how about we diversify the genres of video games we play? Also, if your wants are very niche like indie reps or characters that you and three other people talk about, I'm not sure what you are really expecting here. You have to have a sense of realism here, and Terry from Dragon Warrior Monsters or Cookie from Cookies and Cream just aren't going to happen.

Now, let me dig into the meat of what Megadoomer Megadoomer said: how new characters in Smash have been consistently some sort of advertisement.

As far back as Melee, we got Marth and Roy being advertisements for Fire Emblem and Roy's new game in the Fire Emblem series. Whenever a character that you don't know about appears in Smash, half the point is marketing to you as a Nintendo fan. The other half is marketing to those who know the character and have them maybe spend some money with Nintendo and then fall in love with the company and their products, but let's focus on you.

So many of you are so put-off by the Fighter's Pass because they don't contain characters that you like or want...but how would you know if you don't like or want them if you've never experienced their franchise before? Go play Persona 5 or a Dragon Quest game or some SNK fighting games, then come back and talk about how another choice would have been better. Seriously, these characters get in for you to have a taste of what their franchise is like and then to go play that character's game/s. It's not just all about the characters YOU want, but also helping you learn to love and appreciate characters you never knew about. You think most people knew about Ness in Smash 64 or Lucas in Brawl? I never played Mother, Pikmin, or Metal Gear before Brawl. Afterwards I played a bit of Metal Gear and learned a lot about all three games and had a new appreciation for them. It's my goal to play Mother some day, but it never would have been if it wasn't for the random boy with a bat and weird powers that I unlocked in Smash 64.

Also, and I understand not everyone can do this, but some people should be more happy about the success of others. Just in general. So many of us are focused on just our own wants and needs that sometimes we can't even be happy for others and our self-pity washes over that. I sense a lot of that in this thread whenever I see "I'm happy for X fans, but I-"

No, that's not needed. We don't need to see your disappointment expressed over and over again. A couple of times is fine, but I keep seeing people throwing this out over and over and it makes me question if you TRULY are happy for "X fans" because you seem to be much MORE focused on how YOU feel, to the point that it may affect your ability to actually be happy for others...and by that I mean to feel happy or hype even though it wasn't what you wanted. One of these days maybe I'll upload or be able to stream my reaction so you guys can understand what I mean, but other than Pokemon (that has been ruined for me due to know how GameFreak has been handling the series for years) I get hype for anything I see get announced because when you keep yourself open to possibilities and can get hype for stuff that you know others make like...life just seems more bright when you can enjoy things that aren't just about you. Kinda like a birthday for a family member.

Anyway, I've been controversial enough, so let's just enjoy the time we have together as Geno fans before he arrives. It honestly feels like we don't have much time life before we will be an official thread vs speculation.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
I feel the need to point out that I, for one, never implied that Nintendo picks = shill picks. Also, just because Sakurai has the final say doesn't mean that Nintendo isn't still technically calling the shots. We don't know how limited that list is. For all we know, Geno, Shantae, etc, etc aren't even on it. If Sakurai was 100% in control, he wouldn't have bothered to point out corporate Nintendo's involvement.
For sure, and sorry, I didn't mean to imply you thought that Nintendo picks = shill picks, I was just using the lack of shill picks as a separate point toward how clear Sakurai's control over the pass is.

I agree that there's no way for us to know that Geno/Shantae etc. are even ON the list, but I feel like the list must be PRETTY broad/generous given who we've gotten so far.

Like, if the list was only 20-30 characters long, I REALLY struggle to believe that Terry Bogard or Joker would be high on Nintendo's priority list.

I think people in general (not necessarily you) are really underselling how much influence Sakurai CLEARLY has on the DLC, and overselling how much is a matter of Nintendo forcing his hand

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
If Geno makes it in Ultimate's future waves of DLC, I will never ask for another character again. There will be other characters I would help support like Shantae and Professor Layton, but I wouldn't ask Sakurai for anything more

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Geno didn't survive the base roster, he might not survive the Fighter's Pass, and if he's not additional DLC, I feel like everyone will really give up at this point. Geno would've had too many chances to get in.
Yeah that's what people were saying after Brawl and Smash 4, too.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
Just a thought on why we got Joker in the first place: I wouldn't be surprised Altus approached Nintendo and paid them (basically for the advertising) to include Joker.

(Not knocking Joker, I was just thinking about this recently because he is by far the most recent/newest character in the Pass so far.)
(Full disclosure: joker is the only pass character I've bought, though I intend to also get Banjo)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Just a thought on why we got Joker in the first place: I wouldn't be surprised Altus approached Nintendo and paid them (basically for the advertising) to include Joker.

(Not knocking Joker, I was just thinking about this recently because he is by far the most recent/newest character in the Pass so far.)
(Full disclosure: joker is the only pass character I've bought, though I intend to also get Banjo)
I wonder how that theory would work with what I expect in regard to another possible Persona inclusion.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
Funny enough, I stupidly thought "I'm gonna wait to see when/if Banjo gets in to buy the pass"

But then Joker and Hero both looked too fun, and when Banjo came out I'd be paying more at this point to spend $25 on 3 characters than buying each individually, so... lol

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
well no matter what happens I for one appreciate the transition albeit slowly towards better transparency towards release dates, while were likely to be plagued by nintendo's signature 24 hour special each character has been ever more narrowed. Joker was given **** all and then shadow dropped like 5 months out with no warning honestly the worst period to be in speculation and I'm happy to have avoided it. It took a few more months but then we got hero and banjo which were confirmed to be coming in "summer" and "fall" which while incredibly vague at least gave us something to work with and was a nice surprise given how much the fanbase low-balled their expectations on it. Now finally with terry we have it narrowed to a specific month, november, and If I had to guess it will be another shadowdrop after the direct I think they'll hold on the first week. hopefully we can continue down this path and without the structure of the pass creating expectations maybe, just maybe, they will plan reveals around when they can definitively give a release date

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Hey guys, Square Enix related, but not Geno related, but look at this thing I brought at the local state fair today.

https://imgur.com/gallery/6MnauW3/comment/1716085391
That's a really solid looking key blade! (in my limited experience with Kingdom Hearts lol).

Like I mentioned before, I'm pushing the, "We get Sora AND Geno train" until the end of DLC. The two aren't competing in anyway and both bring in fundamentally different pieces of content to Smash that would please fans. Sora's the showstopper in general and Geno is the gift to the "core" fan base. And both satisfy Sakurai as a developer lol.

Last edited:

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
The translation made it sound like they have no plans of ending the DLC any time soon. We might actually see all 10 of those WOL slots filled.
They will keep going beyond that. They will add so many characters that the roster will begin to stick out of the sides of our screens

I think the big take away is, yes, Nintendo is still calling the shots. YET, Sakurai has the final say as far as "I can make this work".

The kicker I feel is, these will JUST be fighters. Maybe a new track or two, no stage. If we are continuing to get new franchises in Smash, what other franchises have not had a rep in Smash? I can name a couple.

Spike Chunsoft - Possibly Danganronpa (Monokuma, would be the craziest pick)
FromSoftware - Dark Souls
Tecmo (Koei) - Ryu Hayabusa or Lu Bu....(Hahaha who am I kidding!)
Ubisoft - Rayman
BioWare - Commander Shephard
Bethesda - Doom Slayer or Elder Scrolls rep
ProjektRed - Geralt

Do we think Nintendo would continue the route of adding new franchises? Or focus on the ones they have AFTER the fighters pass and include no other companies/franchises?
I have a hard time believing they'll stop making new stages to be honest. I can see it with pre existing franchises, but with new franchises? I don't think they'll leave it out. Most franchises in Smash have a stage to go with them with a couple exceptions like ROB. All 3rd parties have also consistently have had stages to go with them as well. So I think stages will get added as well, as long as they're from a new franchise

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh lol. The Grinch is now on Netflix. Watch it and remember that he lied to us about Geno

QQS

Smash Lord
Can you imagine a Geno CGI reveal starting with “Let’s play Geno” and then “Geno Awakens”; then after the splash-art (“Geno stars in”, “Geno squares up”, “Geno grants a wish” or “Geno finds his way”) we have “Hello Happy Kingdom” on his first seconds of gameplay; then some special moves and Final Smash sequence with a “Forest Maze” remix, just to end with “Farewell, Geno...Seeing Dreams Through the Window of the Stars”.

I would create a shortage of Internet in all the planet just because I would rewatch that reveal over and over. I don’t know if we may get such amount of songs but I’m 100% sure that Geno is coming as character #75 or #76.

Greetings from Chile!

2ACA8943-0908-4355-84B1-A656E7659356.png

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Let me quote a nicer version of what I have to say before I go in hard.

Yeah, now for my version: when you get four out of five characters revealed and you don't care about any of them, it becomes less about the choices themselves and more about your tastes.

So far, here is was the FP covers:
  1. Joker - Modern RPGs/JRPGs
  2. Hero - Retro RPGs/JRPGs
  3. Banjo & Kazooie - 3D Platformers
  4. Terry Bogard - Classic Fighting Games
This is actually a wide variety of genres when you consider all the games within them that have characters that we love. If you don't recognize these characters or don't care about them...maybe you need to play more games? All this talk about diversity, how about we diversify the genres of video games we play? Also, if your wants are very niche like indie reps or characters that you and three other people talk about, I'm not sure what you are really expecting here. You have to have a sense of realism here, and Terry from Dragon Warrior Monsters or Cookie from Cookies and Cream just aren't going to happen.

Now, let me dig into the meat of what Megadoomer Megadoomer said: how new characters in Smash have been consistently some sort of advertisement.

As far back as Melee, we got Marth and Roy being advertisements for Fire Emblem and Roy's new game in the Fire Emblem series. Whenever a character that you don't know about appears in Smash, half the point is marketing to you as a Nintendo fan. The other half is marketing to those who know the character and have them maybe spend some money with Nintendo and then fall in love with the company and their products, but let's focus on you.

So many of you are so put-off by the Fighter's Pass because they don't contain characters that you like or want...but how would you know if you don't like or want them if you've never experienced their franchise before? Go play Persona 5 or a Dragon Quest game or some SNK fighting games, then come back and talk about how another choice would have been better. Seriously, these characters get in for you to have a taste of what their franchise is like and then to go play that character's game/s. It's not just all about the characters YOU want, but also helping you learn to love and appreciate characters you never knew about. You think most people knew about Ness in Smash 64 or Lucas in Brawl? I never played Mother, Pikmin, or Metal Gear before Brawl. Afterwards I played a bit of Metal Gear and learned a lot about all three games and had a new appreciation for them. It's my goal to play Mother some day, but it never would have been if it wasn't for the random boy with a bat and weird powers that I unlocked in Smash 64.

Also, and I understand not everyone can do this, but some people should be more happy about the success of others. Just in general. So many of us are focused on just our own wants and needs that sometimes we can't even be happy for others and our self-pity washes over that. I sense a lot of that in this thread whenever I see "I'm happy for X fans, but I-"

No, that's not needed. We don't need to see your disappointment expressed over and over again. A couple of times is fine, but I keep seeing people throwing this out over and over and it makes me question if you TRULY are happy for "X fans" because you seem to be much MORE focused on how YOU feel, to the point that it may affect your ability to actually be happy for others...and by that I mean to feel happy or hype even though it wasn't what you wanted. One of these days maybe I'll upload or be able to stream my reaction so you guys can understand what I mean, but other than Pokemon (that has been ruined for me due to know how GameFreak has been handling the series for years) I get hype for anything I see get announced because when you keep yourself open to possibilities and can get hype for stuff that you know others make like...life just seems more bright when you can enjoy things that aren't just about you. Kinda like a birthday for a family member.

Anyway, I've been controversial enough, so let's just enjoy the time we have together as Geno fans before he arrives. It honestly feels like we don't have much time life before we will be an official thread vs speculation.
]Yeah I agree with what you're saying here. I am certainly guilty saying I'm happy for other fans and then tacking my preferences on the end of said statements. I do want to say tho that I truly am happy for other fans tho. I was hyped for Joker because he looked really cool and like a character with a playstyle I would probably like as someone who used to play Shiek a lot. I was disappointed by Hero only because I was worried his reveal really hurt Geno's chances and that the game didn't really need a "Wizard Link" but got hype after seeing all the alts and more music and playing him for myself. I have close friends who had Banjo as their most wanted character and so I was really excited when I saw the Banjo reveal and could celebrate with them. Terry I was disappointed with at first but have grown to be pretty hype for his inclusion the more I thought about how much SNK deserved a rep.

It's true that my gaming experience doesn't offer me many options for preferred Smash characters. I think it's fair to say that, like me, a lot of gamers operate on a budget so even though I understand that Nintendo is trying to get players to expand their horizons thats really not all that plausible for many gamers like me. When you're operating on a fixed budget it simply doesn't make sense to spend money on a game you might like because a character you like from Smash is in that game when there are options you know you will like because you know what kinds of other games you like. Of course every purchase is a risk especially now days when it comes to gaming but I know I am not the only out there who needs to consider the budget factor. Not to mention budgeting time. I work 2 jobs and work weird hours so I need to be careful with how I spend my time and balance it properly between work, family, girlfriend, chores and responsibilities, etc with last on that list being extraneous hobbies such as video games and lurking on here. I simply don't have time to try a whole bunch of different games. Honestly, I don't know how people afford to have lifestyles where they can not only afford a whole bunch of different games but can also afford the time needed to actually play and enjoy them.

Then, for me, it's also that games need to be appropriate so that my girlfriend isn't uncomfortable with the kind of stuff I'm playing so Persona (games that often have at least partial nudity) are out of the question for me for that reason as well. Point is, if we're operating from the standpoint of being realistic, it's also not realistic to say if you don't like the character choice maybe you should go out and try their game. That simply won't work for many people. I do not like other fighting games. I used to casually play Soul Calibur but mainly for the character creation and that's the only other fighting style game I could tolerate. So I know I would not like games that Terry is in; they are just not for me and I know a lot of other Smash players feel that way about other fighting games, so even if they did try SNK games they might actually be even less hype for Terry than they already are. I mean I love MegaMan in Smash but really cannot get into MegaMan games. That's just the way it is. Some people have more specific tastes than others and not everyone gets the same enjoyment or experience out of certain games.

I mean I am actually considering trying Dragon Quest because I might like those games and that is because of Hero getting in Smash. I got into Metroid Prime because of playing Samus a lot in Smash 64 and Melee and Fire Emblem because of Marth in Melee. I also want to try Mother/Earthbound partly because of Ness/Lucas in Smash being my favorite characters to play as but more so because I know those games inspired Undertale which is a game I adore. I get the thought process of wanting people to expand their gaming background and thus increase sales elsewhere outside of Smash as well. But I am a picky and frugal gamer.

I don't think every game I enjoy deserves a rep in Smash nor do I think that every game I don't enjoy doesn't. Frankly it is nice to get characters I want (like Ridley and K Rool) so it's hard not to want more of characters that I'm personally excited for. That's not to say I'm ungrateful for how amazing Ultimate is. I try to be hype for every character reveal even though my gaming experience is limited. It's not always easy to be excited for every character, but Sakurai and his team work wonders with this roster and each new inclusion has been super fun and unique. I try to look at it through the lens of never expecting anything I want to actually make it in that way I can be super happy and surprised if it does and can look around at possibilities I'm not as fond of to try to get hype for those fanbases as well.

Going back to the budget thing and summing this all up: I think a lot of people want first party characters because a lot of people have to choose carefully which gaming systems they save up for and buy and then which games to get for said system. So a lot of people who play Smash may only have a Switch or if they do have other systems have to be careful about which games they get for their systems. Not everyone is priveleged enough to have a significant gaming background because of stuff like this. I know your intention was to encourage people to be more hype for reveals and be more understanding of the characters chosen and not put their gaming experience on a pedestal above others but I think in your quest to do so you overlooked a lot of things that cause people to do things like that whether it's right for them to do it or not. Understanding ought to be a two way street.

More to your point though, I think people really ought to focus their attention on positive things. It doesn't matter "who" chooses the DLC. It doesn't matter that Piranha Plant got in before x, y, z, and infinity other characters. It doesn't matter what rules fans make up. Talk about budgeting time improperly when we focus of such trivalties. What matters is appreciating what we have, being excited for more (because regardless of who else gets added, Sakurai could just say "no I'm done; the fans clearly don't appreciate all the hard work I put into this for them") and engaging in meaningful activities and discussions regarding speculation and hype. For example, Operation Starfall and JarBear's letter writing campaign is exactly the kind of positive energy we ought to have as a fanbase. It's also nice to see people from other fanbases come in and show support too. We should all try to be like that so that we can be a positive cohesive Smash fanbase as a whole. I am guilty of plenty transgressions myself as I've unintentionally come across as hostile towards Steve and Shovel Knight being in Smash so I am certainly not trying to attack or accuse anyone of anything or put myself on a high horse. We need each other to hold each other accountable in being good representatives for the Smash fanbase and I really feel that this thread does a good job of that even though we all do seem to descend into the chaos of spiting certain characters or getting caught up in the vicious cycle of negativity that can permeate information droughts.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Working late at night on Operation StarFall stuff when I was just glancing at a few Youtube videos. But then I saw this.

This was the battle for the Tooty Spirit where Banjo shows up half way thru. However, what I find interesting is this is the default skin of Banjo. Wasn't part of spirit fights suppose to be that you weren't suppose to be fighting the actual character and they were just alternate skins for them? Even stuff like Wii Fit's Yoga pose spirits, they all had alternate costumes for Wii Fit Trainer. (Even when the spirit was the normal blue)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ydKEEItqbQ

I know I seem to be looking way too into this but I want to find something that shows that the Spirits Deconfirm rule is slowly cracking. Why would they use the default Banjo skin in a spirit battle??? This has never happened before. Please tell me either I am crazy or I am onto something. Can someone find another instance where a default skin showed up?

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Working late at night on Operation StarFall stuff when I was just glancing at a few Youtube videos. But then I saw this.

This was the battle for the Tooty Spirit where Banjo shows up half way thru. However, what I find interesting is this is the default skin of Banjo. Wasn't part of spirit fights suppose to be that you weren't suppose to be fighting the actual character and they were just alternate skins for them? Even stuff like Wii Fit's Yoga pose spirits, they all had alternate costumes for Wii Fit Trainer. (Even when the spirit was the normal blue)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ydKEEItqbQ

I know I seem to be looking way too into this but I want to find something that shows that the Spirits Deconfirm rule is slowly cracking. Why would they use the default Banjo skin in a spirit battle??? This has never happened before. Please tell me either I am crazy or I am onto something. Can someone find another instance where a default skin showed up?
i think you're kinda crazy, but i don't like to say it as if i'm being rude. but there have been some spirit battles were the characters are in their default skins/attire such as Game & Watch, Mario,Luigi,Peach, even Joker,etc.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Geralt is technically a fourth party.
This is exactly why I have a problem with this "rule". It's like no matter how many game awards you win, no matter how many copies you sell, how much you have solidified your place in the gaming industry nor how much you surpass your media of origin to become more notable in video games, if you originate from a media other than video games, everyone is like "Oh I'm sorry but ya'll not a video game character so away with you!"

It's so dumb and the worst part is that all Sakurai said is no Manga characters and that he doesn't think characters like Goku or Iron man are possible.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
i think you're kinda crazy, but i don't like to say it as if i'm being rude. but there have been some spirit battles were the characters are in their default skins/attire such as Game & Watch, Mario,Luigi,Peach, even Joker,etc.
Just for the sake of curing my sanity, can you provide me with an example of one? (Aside from a Joker once since he if FP too)

Last edited:

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
Just for the sake of curing my sanity, can you provide me with an example of one? (Aside from a Joker once since he if FP too)
Futaba's Spirit Battle uses default Inkling and the Phantom Thieves battle uses default Joker; those are two examples I can think of.

According to SmashWiki; Mr. Game & Watch, Bowser Jr., Yoshi, R.O.B., Robin, Peach, Mario and Luigi also use their defaults. Think the Labo Car uses Bowser Jr., but i'm not sure about the rest.

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
The Shadow Mario Spirit battle also uses default Bowser Jr. instead of any of the Koopalings for what should be an obvious reason.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i think this would interest you Slender Slender
i dont think anyone pointed this out but in Super Mario-kun Geno did a jojo reference i think you will recognise it if you watched jojo part 5

maybe this explains how in SMRPG you are able to carry alot of items.
hold on maybe Geno does have a stand in mario-kun universe!?
Bruno Bucciarati approves!

Last edited:

Cuzeba123

Smash Apprentice
Ir
(“Geno stars in”, “Geno squares up”, “Geno grants a wish” or “Geno finds his way”)
I'd like "Geno gets this show on the road", specially if he is announced to be the first fighter from fighter pass 2

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Ir
I'd like "Geno gets this show on the road", specially if he is announced to be the first fighter from fighter pass 2
Geno Whirls into Battle.
Geno Blasts Off
Geno Beams Down
Geno Boosts the Roster Count
Geno Flashes Everyone and Gets Arrested (granted, he does this by default).

Or my favorite:

Geno Flips Off the Irrelevancy Argument!

riggsbass

Smash Apprentice
"Geno Squares Off" is pretty clever, and I think it'll be something related to his tenure away, but subtle. Like how Banjo's was "Raring to go"!

I'm so impatient, I've never felt so sure about a character in this dumb game and the anticipation is draggggggging on.

D

Deleted member

i think this would interest you Slender Slender
i dont think anyone pointed this out but in Super Mario-kun Geno did a jojo reference i think you will recognise it if you watched jojo part 5

maybe this explains how in SMRPG you are able to carry alot of items.
hold on maybe Geno does have a stand in mario-kun universe!?
Bruno Bucciarati approves!
STAND NAME:「STARMAN」
Abilities: Near unlimited inventory, inanimate object possession, waiting forever to get into Smash
RANGE: B; DURABILITY: D; SPEED: A; POTENTIAL: A; PRECISION: C; POWER: B

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Oh lol. The Grinch is now on Netflix. Watch it and remember that he lied to us about Geno
I remember making a bet to myself saying I will watch the Grinch movie if it turned out that leak was fake... so I went and seeing it only on the day Smash Bros was released. Also I ordered it through Amazon so I had to see the movie first before I got to play it.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Ir
Geno Whirls into Battle.
Geno Blasts Off
Geno Beams Down
Geno Boosts the Roster Count
Geno Flashes Everyone and Gets Arrested (granted, he does this by default).

Or my favorite:

Geno Flips Off the Irrelevancy Argument!
I think the ideal splash screen line would be "Geno Shoots For The Stars!"

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Peachette's battle has her using Mario, Luigi, and The Mii Brawler dressed as Toad with her possessing Peach at the end. Both Mario & Luigi are in their default attire as well as Peach.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

Well, first off, that has never been the crux of the argument for Spirits deconfirm except for a couple of people who bastardized the argument . Spirits deconfirm was always about the first Fighter’s Pass not containing any characters that were already a Spirit because they wouldn’t have left the Spirit battle in the game for characters they were including later on. More accurately, there is no overlap between the Fighter’s Pass DLC and Spirits because they were planned at the same time and Sakurai was focused on adding new franchises.

But just to humor this for a moment. Tooty is represented by the pink Diddy Kong skin and Banjo & Kazooie are just supposed to be the straight up real Banjo & Kazooie protecting her since they’re siblings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom