• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I just feel so tired of being left out. I regularly feel like I’m the only one not capable of feeling some sort of hype for characters I don’t want.
I feel you bro. I remember Game Awards happening and Joker was announced. Everyone was celebrating and I was just like... “uhh, who?” I legit thought they added Joker from Batman when I first read it online

Firox

Smash Master
I legit thought they added Joker from Batman when I first read it online
LOL Dude, me too. It kinda scared me at first. I was like, "Is that what Sakurai meant about Nintendo making the picks?! They're actually opening the floodgates for Shrek?!"

SKX31

Smash Master
Hero I understand because DQ is huge in Japan and with DQ11 coming out it makes sense for Nintendo to want to push that.

Banjo makes sense with Nintendo and Microsoft being buddies that last couple of years.

I don’t get Joker and Terry though. I’m not familiar with the Persona series, but I know Persona 5 is the latest and as far as I know it’s not coming to the Switch or at least still hasn’t been announced. So I don’t really get that. And Terry I don’t believe has been that relevant lately so I don’t know what Nintendo would get from that. But maybe I’m wrong and he’s more mainstream than I know.

And I don’t hate any of these characters and I’m happy for their fans. I just don’t get some of the decision making by Nintendo. But all we can really see is what is out there and not behind the scenes so who knows?
Persona 5 arrived at the right time really. Not only did it make waves in JRPG circles, it built on what P3 and P4 did (I do remember P4 getting a lot of attention when it was new, so P5 making waves wasn't surprising to me). It also turned out to be a GotY contender. Sakurai's own love for that game also played a major role.

Terry's been relevant in China mostly as of late. Sure, you have KoF 14 internationally - but also the mobile game Destiny and its Chinese-produced anime tie-in. Apparently the anime was so good it got another two seasons. Note that the anime blends Fatal Fury's and KoF 94's story. Again, Sakurai's own love for the older KoF games played a major role.

StormC

Smash Hero
Japanese developers really champion Persona 5. I think they see it as an example that they can "make it" on a worldwide stage even with a traditional JRPG in the HD era (tons of Japanese developers struggled with the first generation of HD games). Joker's inclusion makes sense on that front as Sakurai talked before in his column about wanting to use Smash as a chance to promote Japanese series, since they tend to sell less worldwide.

https://personacentral.com/persona-5-most-memorable-ps4-game-atlus-list/

Among 50 Japanese developers interviewed in Famitsu, Persona 5 was the most popular PS4 game. It was also the GOTY for most Japanese developers in 2016. It was also, I would argue, the title that truly broke Persona into the mainstream; 3 and 4 had strong cult followings, but 5 had an actual international marketing campaign, and tripled the worldwide sales of the best selling Persona title before it. In terms of the modern console generation, Joker is one of the biggest Japanese icons as far as new characters go.

(Not saying you have to feel one way about Joker or the other, just felt this helped establish some context for the character.)

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Persona 5 arrived at the right time really. Not only did it make waves in JRPG circles, it built on what P3 and P4 did (I do remember P4 getting a lot of attention when it was new, so P5 making waves wasn't surprising to me). It also turned out to be a GotY contender. Sakurai's own love for that game also played a major role.

Terry's been relevant in China mostly as of late. Sure, you have KoF 14 internationally - but also the mobile game Destiny and its Chinese-produced anime tie-in. Apparently the anime was so good it got another two seasons. Note that the anime blends Fatal Fury's and KoF 94's story. Again, Sakurai's own love for the older KoF games played a major role.
That anime looks sick, holy hell. I'll need to binge-watch that sucker. Also,

>Jeff Bogard
liek if u cry evrytiem

StormC StormC I remember when P4 came out and seemed like it really helped to bring Persona into the west, but P5 really knocked that game out of the PARK when it came to that. Persona feels that much less niche here now. It's no surprise why either. I'd daresay it's the best Persona game of all time, and Joker has definitely stolen my heart. I'd argue Makoto has done that better, though.

Last edited:

Crankshadow

Smash Cadet
Hello all, long time stalker first time poster. Been reading since the brawl days. Glad to be here with you all as I truly think starboi’s time is near.

StormC

Smash Hero

>Jeff Bogard
liek if u cry evrytiem

StormC StormC I remember when P4 came out and seemed like it really helped to bring Persona into the west, but P5 really knocked that game out of the PARK when it came to that. Persona feels that much less niche here now. It's no surprise why either. I'd daresay it's the best Persona game of all time, and Joker has definitely stolen my heart. I'd argue Makoto has done that better, though.
I played Persona 5 because of the Joker announcement (sat in my backlog for a year, whoops). 3/4 are great but 5 blows them out of the water imo. It’s funny because I played what I now consider my two all time favorite games (Smash Ultimate and Persona 5) in December. It’s a fantastic game...if you have the stomach for a 100 hour JRPG with tons of cutscenes.

Anyway, on topic...if Geno is in (I don’t think it’s guaranteed but things are looking good) I wonder when they would reveal him. On paper E3 makes sense when that’s where fan favorites Ridley and Banjo were revealed, but he also feels a bit obscure on that front, at least if he’s the only reveal (then again let’s be honest how many people outside of Smash/Metroid diehards know who tf Ridley is compared to the general populace? lol).

Pipe dream is a reveal in the early 2020 Direct with the announcement of SMRPG coming to Switch.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hero I understand because DQ is huge in Japan and with DQ11 coming out it makes sense for Nintendo to want to push that.

Banjo makes sense with Nintendo and Microsoft being buddies that last couple of years.

I don’t get Joker and Terry though. I’m not familiar with the Persona series, but I know Persona 5 is the latest and as far as I know it’s not coming to the Switch or at least still hasn’t been announced. So I don’t really get that. And Terry I don’t believe has been that relevant lately so I don’t know what Nintendo would get from that. But maybe I’m wrong and he’s more mainstream than I know.

And I don’t hate any of these characters and I’m happy for their fans. I just don’t get some of the decision making by Nintendo. But all we can really see is what is out there and not behind the scenes so who knows?
Joker and Terry are obvious Sakurai picks. Go watch Fatal Fury and King of Fighters intro videos, and you'll see tons of times that Smash paralleled them. The most obvious is the invitation letter, but the way that characters are presented is a more subtle nod to the series. Now that Terry's in smash, the cycle is complete.

He never lied, though. Sakurai does work for Nintendo in a way, so by extension, they did pick the characters.

*pushes up glasses, artificial light reflecting off of them*

Sample size is small
True. But is the sample size bigger than the amount of songs taken down that didn't end up being relevant to Smash?

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman

Part of it I'm sure is because Sakurai likes the games Joker and Terry came from, as Sakurai loved Persona 5 and also played a lot of King of Fighters when he was younger. And as people have stated Persona 5 was pretty huge in Japan and even here in America, it was contender for GOTY. Terry meanwhile used to be a pretty iconic fighting character. He's old, but from what I've gathered, he was kinda like the Ryu before Ryu existed. He's a legacy fighting game character to put it shortly. His games are also big in Latin America more than here I believe, so his inclusion was likely due to that as well to appeal to that market

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

>Jeff Bogard
liek if u cry evrytiem

I havn't played P5, but I watched a blind lets play of it well before Joker was announced. I love the characters and story so much and I can't wait to see what happens in P5R, specifically with Kasumi(So much so that I made a thread for her).

ZelDan

Smash Master
I would say I wouldn’t mind whoever the 5th fighter is because we have more coming. But just like Joker, Hero, and Terry I’m sure I will feel extremely depressed that it’s yet again someone I don’t want. I don’t understand how I’ve been so unlucky with this fighter pass lmao,
If it makes you feel better, none of the 4 DLC characters so far have excited me. So hey, atleast you got Banjo and Kazooie!

Last edited:

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
Hey Geno gang! How are we all doin' today?
I finished my little M&L test with Geno, and had a little fun with more dynamic poses!
1568135670505.png

StormC

Smash Hero
This DLC has been very hot and cold for me. Joker was fantastic and Banjo & Kazooie are literally a pipe dream character for the last 20 years...

But Hero does nothing for me outside of a pretty cool spell moveset (his stage is eh and his music selection is even worse) and Terry I'm even less enthused about, alongside lack of footage. But that's okay. The base game already gave me K. Rool, Ridley, Snake, and Wolf. I can only be catered to so much.

There's very few characters left that could get me very excited about DLC and I've accepted that. Geno would be up there though, just as the culmination of 20 years of demand and tickling my SMRPG nostalgia.

D

Deleted member

This DLC has been very hot and cold for me. Joker was fantastic and Banjo & Kazooie are literally a pipe dream character for the last 20 years...

But Hero does nothing for me outside of a pretty cool spell moveset (his stage is eh and his music selection is even worse) and Terry I'm even less enthused about, alongside lack of footage. But that's okay. The base game already gave me K. Rool, Ridley, Snake, and Wolf. I can only be catered to so much.

There's very few characters left that could get me very excited about DLC and I've accepted that. Geno would be up there though, just as the culmination of 20 years of demand and tickling my SMRPG nostalgia.
The entire DLC so far has just been lukewarm for me. Yeah, Joker was hype, but not really for me. Glad for the people who wanted a Persona rep, sad for the people who wanted Jack Frost. Hero... Yeah I wasn't too thrilled. Glad for Japan. Banjo... great, I guess. Definitely saved the E3 presentation for me but only because I was glad it wasn't Steve. Terry's cool, and I'm glad his trailer didn't go as rumored on /v/, and it's tons of fun to educate the young'uns about how he's not Ken wearing a hat, but... he ain't my character.

The only reveal that has made me genuinely happy that he's in since Smash Ultimate was announced was Richter. Literally the day before, when we all knew it was going to be Simon, I told a friend "I wish it would be Richter but we all know it's gotta be the OG". I'm proud to be able to have him as my secondary, I probably would have never touched Simon, but as silly as it sounds, I guess that the joy I got out of him being in is overshadowed by the annoyance that it seems like every character ever created is gonna get in before Geno.

You can "want" tons of characters but there's really only ever one that sits there at the top, and the rest are all just second place trophies, you know?

StormC

Smash Hero
You can "want" tons of characters but there's really only ever one that sits there at the top, and the rest are all just second place trophies, you know?
I understand the sentiment, lord knows I was laser focused on getting K. Rool in for a while, but I still loved the inclusion of characters like Mega Man, Palutena, Cloud, and Ridley, they were all characters I really wanted as well (Cloud seemed so impossible that I wouldn't even put him on a wishlist). Same with getting Banjo in once K. Rool was confirmed; I loved Joker but I was definitely getting antsy waiting for Banjo.

I suppose I'm lucky my patience has been rewarded. Hopefully this massive thread's will be sooner than later.

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
The only reveal that has made me genuinely happy that he's in since Smash Ultimate was announced was Richter. Literally the day before, when we all knew it was going to be Simon, I told a friend "I wish it would be Richter but we all know it's gotta be the OG". I'm proud to be able to have him as my secondary, I probably would have never touched Simon,
I have to echo this pretty hard as I went through the exact same situation with the solo alt for hero. Honestly if it weren't for him and the possibility-shattering banjo reveal I likely would have stopped following smash all together until maybe the new dlc announcement last week, I'm really lucky I didn't close the stream out after the luminary reveal because good lord did that drain my little remaining hype like nothing else before it.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Hey Geno gang! How are we all doin' today?
I finished my little M&L test with Geno, and had a little fun with more dynamic poses!
View attachment 237725
If you have not done so, please participate in our letter writing campaign by writing a heartfelt letter regarding support for Geno in Smash, why you want him and any fond memories of Mario RPG! We would also love to use this artwork as well!

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
The DLC has been great for me as just a fan of so many video games and different types of games. I mean, it's really hard for me to not get hype about Smash characters period no matter who they end up being, but even with that in mind, there has been some excellent picks.

Persona is my favorite JRPG franchise by a wide margin, and Joker is just so well represented in Smash (I realize there's a certain irony to that, but he and the surrounding Persona elements work really damn well even if his moveset isn't using the Fool arcana to the fullest). Persona 3 and 4 stuff was just icing on the already excellent inclusion of one of my favorite games of the past couple years (though this came more so after I played Persona 5, which was earlier this summer... so a bit retroactive).

Hero convinced me to take a deeper look into Dragon Quest and find its charm as well. Dragon Quest is just such a straightforward enjoyable experience and seems just to big to ignore as a character. And I absolutely adore the amount of love they've put into Hero making him a character that represents so much of that franchise in one little bundle (almost the anti-Cloud in that regard funnily enough). His stage is beautiful and even if the music is the MIDI rips, it's still part of the charm. And I think the Spell menu is such a cool thing to add to Smash. Sakurai went out of his way to make him more unique move wise.

Banjo & Kazooie speak for themselves given they're in my signature I think. Again, beautiful attention to detail in their animations, moveset, and Spiral Mountain is my favorite stage in the game hands down. 7 Banjo & Kazooie remixes is excellent.

Terry was the only one that missed for me, and part of that was admittedly being blindsided by SNK when it should have been right in front of me. But I will say existing fighting game characters are my least favorite additions since I'm really interested in realizing characters into fighting games that have never been in fighting games before, and Terry has been in like 30 haha... But, the NeoGeo trailer was almost worth it alone in just being this loving rendition of a console I have at least respected from afar that I couldn't stay upset, and I have learned more about SNK since his leak that makes me more OK with the inclusion. I'm curious to see more of his details (at least his model looks solid), but I have no doubt that Sakurai won't work his usual magic and devote some cool stuff to the character I end up really liking.

Just this whole Fighter's Pass has screamed love letter to video games to me even if not every addition was my absolute favorite choice. There's so much notable stuff being included, and Sakurai approaches each character and challenger pack with such passion that it's hard to not get excited along side his work. The proper CGI trailers communicate a level of involvement and dedication to Smash that Smash 4's DLC never had, and all the characters feel like weighty additions to the roster. It's so much fun seeing how far they've taken Smash just in the past year, and I'm really glad they've went this direction of third party focus.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Hey guys! I made something a little simple earlier and thought it'd be fun. Can you guess the silhouettes around Sakurai?
I see issac shadow and geno on first glance, whoever is in the bottom right doesn't have enough defining shape for me to feel confident in anyone though

Firox

Smash Master
Hey guys! I made something a little simple earlier and thought it'd be fun. Can you guess the silhouettes around Sakurai?
I can clearly make out Isaac. And is that Sonic, or Shadow? I can't see whether his spikes do that up-swoosh.

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
oh ok though that was all part of issac's scarf back there yeah theres someone with hair tied up, like takamaru musashi or someone like that

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
huh yeah I would have never said rayman with how much he overlaps issac but ok ok. good luck on the other 2 bottom guy still looks like a blob

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
unless of course it wasn't an arm but the tie off with the top perfectly covered by shadows shoe :upsidedown:

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I thought it might be shantae at first too but I can't find any art with her hand and hair positioned like that

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom