• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippyskipy

Smash Cadet
So nobody knows who specifically is the creator/father of Geno? :(
A lot of credit for Geno is also given to Miyamoto if I am not mistaken. Not sure what he did in regards to his creation but it's a thing.
Oo, oo! Adding to the info SSGuy brought up, I think Kazuyuki Kurashima is also a very solid candidate! He's credited for Monster Character Design and Character Supervisor. Not exactly sure what a character supervisor does and you could argue he probably only designed the monsters BUT out of all the names mentioned he's the only one I can prove is an artist.

(By which of course I mean he's the only one I've found on social media but same difference right)

I recommend following him on twitter btw, he posts a lot of cool stuff. Mainly Moon/Love-de-Lic/Onion Games related but he'll very occasionally post SMRPG stuff like these cool early monster designs!

https://twitter.com/kurashimakaz/status/839509311768285184
https://twitter.com/kurashimakaz/status/1079606588866945024
https://twitter.com/kurashimakaz/status/1079210487466713089

AND because i just went thru even goddamn picture he's posted to find those, I can prove he's drawn at least 2 other very Geno-esque designs!

https://twitter.com/kurashimakaz/status/980650010529251328
https://twitter.com/kurashimakaz/status/1031152036585193472

Not sure if the first one is from anything, but I know for a fact the 2nd one is from Moon (which Kurashima did all the character designs for) and I'm like 80% sure is name is Noji and he's explicitly a Geno knockoff/parody unless I've been lied to but I'm a little reluctant to double check because I've successfully avoided Moon spoilers for like a decade and the english translation is finally coming out in october SO JUST PRETEND I ONLY SAID THE FIRST PART ABOUT MOON ACTUALLY.

BUT at the very least that's one puppety guy I can confirm he designed!

P.S. none of this is counting Yoichi Kotabe. While possible, 'Character Adviser' makes me think his job was probably just to be like "hey don't **** up the mario characters thanks"
P.S.S. he also owns just, just a jealousy-inducing amount of the stupid rare SMRPG keychain set. I saw Mario, Bowser, Shyguy, and Pirrahna Plant for sure. Possibly a Yoshi.

Last edited:

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597
I think most of the clues will mean something at some point, at least 2 SMRPG will be in the game somehow and Kasumi (codename Jane) from Persona probably will be a character (or echo) down the line.

I hope Puyo Puyo gets a character! ✨ Arle most likely

D

Deleted member

Now that I think about the music getting taken down before launch and July, I do find it odd... could at least one of the takedowns be pure coincidence?

dalolman

Smash Cadet
I think most of the clues will mean something at some point, at least 2 SMRPG will be in the game somehow and Kasumi (codename Jane) from Persona probably will be a character (or echo) down the line.

I hope Puyo Puyo gets a character! ✨ Arle most likely
Wait, Kasumi? What?
How's that a given? Just curious.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, it seems we have a new Music Takedown Theory on our hands.

There must be a reason as to why Nintendo is taking down this music. But why?

ZelDan

Smash Master
Isaac's theme being taken down is interesting since that's one song not in Smash right now, Ultimate just has that (lame IMO) Felix battle/final battle remix and Dark Dawn's overworld theme.

Not going to get my hopes up too highly over it or anything though I do wonder why Nintendo would take it down. I never thought Isaac's theme was THAT popular, or not popular to the extent like "beware the Forest's Mushrooms" is.

D

Deleted member

So, were there other songs taken down in December of last year besides the Banjo & Kazooie, "Megalovania," and Geno related music presenting themselves as Smash tunes? Or just those three? The second one potentially means something... but then there's the issue of if they would have chosen Geno immediately after they finalized the Fighter's Pass, which seems super far removed from the current DLC announcement. And then it seems extremely odd to go 6 months and then just take down two popular songs from BrawlBRSTMs3's channel... (though they were just nuking it for all intensive purposes, so I don't know what to make of that either).

The timeline doesn't really make sense if this is the approach though... and it arguably supports "music takedown theory" even less than before. The point people brought up with the takedowns in June/July was that they would have been choosing and deciding more DLC then and it would have made sense to remove the songs then if Geno was decided upon... but that falls apart if they're taking down a Geno related music track in December of last year because they wouldn't have had a reason to do that at the time. Unless they were just generally taking down music pretending to be Smash music at that time in December... in which case, then "Megalovania" wasn't taken down because it was coming in Smash and the basis for the "pattern" people are pointing out falls apart.

The only way this all makes sense is if, in December, Nintendo made the "oopsie" of specifically targeting the Banjo & Kazooie, "Megalovania," and Geno tracks because they had intentions in using all of them (which means Geno was chosen as a DLC ages ago and they had decided on DLC in addition to the Fighter's Pass from the very beginning) in Ultimate. Then, 6 months later, either Nintendo flexes on BrawlBRSTMs3 by copyright claiming his Super Mario RPG music for no reason, or they make a "double oopsie" by once again directly trying to take down Super Mario RPG music when they didn't need to, but had plans of using it and gave that fact away a second time in the exact same way as the first, but then didn't touch any of the other versions of the Super Mario RPG music that are in plain view on YouTube.

Something here doesn't add up properly unless the people behind Nintendo's copyright claiming are absolutely not thinking about their actions and being accidentally super transparent about what they're doing... I mean, it's not impossible all of this directly means something, it just seems incredibly unlikely when that new "takedown" gets factored in. One of these two incidents almost certainly has to be Nintendo just exercising their power just because they can and not for a specific purpose for this to all make sense (or potentially in both instances)...
I get where you're coming from, it's good to make people slow down and temper their expectations, but this post seems to run on two assumptions:
1. You know what Nintendo's project plan looks like
2. You know that Geno isn't fighter 5.

What carries the music theory for me isn't the timing or the fact that it's counterproductive for their legal goons to be striking music that reveals their fighters, it's the fact that Nintendo has struck music that became relevant to Smash that they otherwise have no stake in. It isn't Nintendo's call to go after Banjo Kazooie music, it probably isn't their call to go after Mario RPG music not composed and owned by them, and even if one could argue that Nintendo has the right to chase down songs from both of those IPs, there's no argument that they have no say over Megalovania. In my opinion, they jumped the gun and screwed the pooch; to use back to back turns of phrase.

Isaac's theme being taken down is interesting since that's one song not in Smash right now, Ultimate just has that (lame IMO) Felix battle/final battle remix and Dark Dawn's overworld theme.
We respect Battle Theme (Felix) in this household.

D

Deleted member

Well I don't. Sorry Golden Sun fans but that song is just bleh. Isaac's battle theme and Venus Lighthouse are a lot better.

Either way it's still interesting that they took down Isaac's theme when it's not even in Smash. The best outcome would be that they decided with the backlash of the Grinch Hoax to add all of the characters that were in it (Geno, Isaac, Mach Rider, Chorus Kids, Shadow) in as well but I doubt that. Maybe we'll still get Geno and Isaac though.

Point is that it's really interesting that it got struck down for no apparent reason other than maybe just flexing their copyright abilities or it leading towards Isaac actually getting an upgrade. Very interesting.

D

Deleted member

Well I don't. Sorry Golden Sun fans but that song is just bleh. Isaac's battle theme and Venus Lighthouse are a lot better.

Either way it's still interesting that they took down Isaac's theme when it's not even in Smash. The best outcome would be that they decided with the backlash of the Grinch Hoax to add all of the characters that were in it (Geno, Isaac, Mach Rider, Chorus Kids, Shadow) in as well but I doubt that. Maybe we'll still get Geno and Isaac though.

Point is that it's really interesting that it got struck down for no apparent reason other than maybe just flexing their copyright abilities or it leading towards Isaac actually getting an upgrade. Very interesting.
maybe I'll just say something completely unhinged like "all of Golden Sun's music is stellar" and we'll leave it at that.

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
Maybe the geno remix take down was a mistake. But I do believe the 2 smrpg track take downs could definitely mean something.

D

Deleted member

maybe I'll just say something completely unhinged like "all of Golden Sun's music is stellar" and we'll leave it at that.
I can agree with that though. Most if not all of Golden Sun's music is fantastic even the ones I don't like as much as the rest.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I get where you're coming from, it's good to make people slow down and temper their expectations, but this post seems to run on two assumptions:
1. You know what Nintendo's project plan looks like
2. You know that Geno isn't fighter 5.

What carries the music theory for me isn't the timing or the fact that it's counterproductive for their legal goons to be striking music that reveals their fighters, it's the fact that Nintendo has struck music that became relevant to Smash that they otherwise have no stake in. It isn't Nintendo's call to go after Banjo Kazooie music, it probably isn't their call to go after Mario RPG music not composed and owned by them, and even if one could argue that Nintendo has the right to chase down songs from both of those IPs, there's no argument that they have no say over Megalovania. In my opinion, they jumped the gun and screwed the pooch; to use back to back turns of phrase.

Felix's theme is fine. I'm saying the Brawl remix of it is lame.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Maybe the geno remix take down was a mistake. But I do believe the 2 smrpg track take downs could definitely mean something.
Idk if they'd give 2 songs one costume for the same price. This is what makes me think that geno may be a full character. It gives me hope.

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Wait, Kasumi? What?
It isn’t exactly a given, some unused data for a “Jane” costume with a ponytail was found in Joker’s files.

However, with P5R being repeatedly deconfirmed for Switch to the point of them bringing a big Sony guy onto a stage event to talk about how much Playstation values the series, the chances of them actually doing something with it are... er, quite slim.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Wait, Kasumi? What?
Awhile back dataminers found the name "Jane" in the code and they found out who ever "Jane" was had a ponytail and was suppose to be a alt for Joker but surposely got cut or is being saved for DLC. People speculate that it's Kasumi because she has a ponytail. She might come later as Echo DLC.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If it turns out to be anything I think it's more likely to be femTerry

QQS

Smash Lord
++Random Positive Geno vibes++

I think the next Direct (November) may be the day that all of us are expecting, when Geno gets revealed.

For me it’s obvious that he is in, but my chances are that he will be #5 or a bonus after the FP. The questions could be:

-Will he be revelead at November or next year?
-Will he be character #5 or bonus DLC like Piranha Plant?
-Will he come with Forest/Armed or more songs?
-Will he join as part of the Mario Universe with Mushroom Logo or with a Mario RPG/Star logo? (To surprise, there is always the option that he comes First Party, Nintendo buying him, cause I doubt that Square would do more games with Geno or Mallow, and also these 2 are perfect and can join a future sequel of Mario RPG or join Paper Mario or just a HD remake.
-Will he be with Mallow as a company? Some of what I have read: a) he could be with Mallow like the Ice Climbers (which I doubt); b) he could be switching with Mallow, once at a time in battle (like if you are controlling them in a RPG battle, as shown how the Pokémon Trainer works); or c) he can summon Mallow when doing a move or in his Final Smash (ultra fan service) like Mega Man with the other Mega Man and Proto/Bass. This would be my option! Just summoning his mate Mallow.

Just throwing some ideas. I’m sure that he is coming, and that he is coming in his best shape ever! Sakurai did an amazing job with Mega Man and Banjo; they have enough material to bring the doll back in action.

Prepare yourself if you see some Geno’s footage in the next Direct. Imagine if we see Gaz in Rose Town, puppets, stars, Kirby, Rosalina, Mario, Bowser, Peach, the puppets intro in Smash 64 (also that this game features a hand painted cover like the 64 did; they can bring from the 64 also the idea of the toys at that Intro video); or even they can let the Spirit left Sheik’s body in order to possess the real Geno doll...just guessing.

Anyway, I’m still confident that he is joining, we have all in our favor: songs copyrighted (perfect two songs anyway, if we should choose two); good patter with the previous Sans and Banjo claim; and lack of Mii costume. The only thing that makes me wanna think in a bad way is that they haven’t also show Chocobo Hat, so: Chocobo is gone or will return? I hope that when Geno gets revealed as a fighter, he brings up the Chocobo Hat again; and not end both as Mii Costumes.

Anyway, what was been AGAINST us (people saying that those Geno tracks were just a coincidence and also they randomly pick Megalovania away from YouTube; now it’s in our FAVOR (cause it makes a pattern and those claimed songs ended up in Smash (Banjo and Sans; and probably more).

Also, Sakurai made it clear that this Smash will be epic and can last a lot, and also that fans will be pleased (so Geno is the first in my mind with that quote; just after we saw Banjo, Ridley and KKR).

Just his chances:

-Fighter Pass (character #5, as Fighter #75, being the sixth DLC)
-Bonus DLC (Fighter #76, being the seventh DLC. (Like the 7th star...)
Anyway, if he concludes the FP or follows the individual DLC, it would be epic.

Anyway: “Geno Finds His Way!”

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
It's late night hours for most Americans, I should say that my hopes for Geno are still there. Don't get bothered if someone feels differently, I had to deal with this a lot when i wanted King K. Rool and look where he is now, Be respectful.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I had a big brain epiphany in who the fifth fighter is going to be. It's so obvious that I'm surprised nobody noticed it before. You know how Nintendo is taking down all this music? One might say they're being rather militaristic. This is obviously a subtle hint meant to allude to the fact that the final fighters pass character is going to be:
Sarge Hawk from the Army Men franchise

It's late night hours for most Americans, I should say that my hopes for Geno are still there. Don't get bothered if someone feels differently, I had to deal with this a lot when i wanted King K. Rool and look where he is now, Be respectful.
I quite agree. Also, it's been a while, my dude, welcome to the thread!

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I would say I wouldn’t mind whoever the 5th fighter is because we have more coming. But just like Joker, Hero, and Terry I’m sure I will feel extremely depressed that it’s yet again someone I don’t want. I don’t understand how I’ve been so unlucky with this fighter pass lmao,

Last edited:

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
-Will he join as part of the Mario Universe with Mushroom Logo or with a Mario RPG/Star logo? (To surprise, there is always the option that he comes First Party, Nintendo buying him, cause I doubt that Square would do more games with Geno or Mallow, and also these 2 are perfect and can join a future sequel of Mario RPG or join Paper Mario or just a HD remake.
I don't think I've ever really commented on this, but I honestly don't care which logo he comes with (although I slightly prefer the latter). As long as Geno gets his own victory theme, I'll be perfectly happy with either. BUT if he gets that default Mario theme, I'm gonna storm up to Nintendo and blast the SMRPG victory with speakers on full volume until they do something.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I would say I wouldn’t mind whoever the 5th fighter is because we have more coming. But just like Joker, Hero, and Terry I’m sure I will feel extremely depressed that it’s yet again someone I don’t want. I don’t understand how I’ve been so unlucky with this fighter pass lmao,
I’ve tried looking at the Fighter Pass a different way. I too had no interest in Joker, Hero or Terry as I had never played their games. But I used it as a chance to get into DQ11. The Fighter Pass to me is a celebration of bringing in the impossible characters. There are a lot of fans that got exactly what they wanted.

Plus, Banjo & Kazooie.. and that’s almost worth the cost of the Fighter’s Pass for me. I’ve almost written off the fact that the 5th Fighter won’t be one I care for, but I’m hoping with individual DLC/Fighter Pass two we get more general fan favourites, Geno in particular. But there has been no indication really what the new DLC will be aside from Sakurai wanting to please the fans (which is vague and doesn’t tell us much)

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
Hey it's woodman not a wooden megaman :p

Wooden Megaman for Geno
Hat Ken for Terry Bogard
Green Mario for Luigi
Ginger Marth for Roy
Female Marth for Lucina
Blue Haired Ginger Marth for Chrom
Legit Goku for Erdrick

Another idea to complete the list ? ^o^
Good day folks. I know
Hey it's woodman not a wooden megaman :p

Wooden Megaman for Geno
Hat Ken for Terry Bogard
Green Mario for Luigi
Ginger Marth for Roy
Female Marth for Lucina
Blue Haired Ginger Marth for Chrom
Legit Goku for Erdrick

Another idea to complete the list ? ^o^
I love this !

Purple Magic Captain Falcon for Ganondorf

Kirbys in ****** body suits for Ice Climbers

Steroid Garfield for Incineroar

Kirby Penguin for Dedede

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I’ve tried looking at the Fighter Pass a different way. I too had no interest in Joker, Hero or Terry as I had never played their games. But I used it as a chance to get into DQ11. The Fighter Pass to me is a celebration of bringing in the impossible characters. There are a lot of fans that got exactly what they wanted.

Plus, Banjo & Kazooie.. and that’s almost worth the cost of the Fighter’s Pass for me. I’ve almost written off the fact that the 5th Fighter won’t be one I care for, but I’m hoping with individual DLC/Fighter Pass two we get more general fan favourites, Geno in particular. But there has been no indication really what the new DLC will be aside from Sakurai wanting to please the fans (which is vague and doesn’t tell us much)
I just feel so tired of being left out. I regularly feel like I’m the only one not capable of feeling some sort of hype for characters I don’t want.

dalolman

Smash Cadet
So is Geno like the child that goes to his dad's one weekend and his mom's house the other weekend?
SE and Nintendo being the divorced parents.

Thinking about it, they're like divorced parents but SE took custody.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I gotta admit, as cool as Joker is, and as freaking awesome as B-K is, Hero and Terry are pretty meh to me. I'm starting to really question Sakurai's claim that Nintendo supposedly picked the fighters pass due to the fact that the chosen characters feel very "Sakurai" to me. Then we have those comments from Atlas that make it sound like Joker was totally a fan-boy pick by the man himself. Also consider the fact that of the four we currently know of, only B-K was an obvious fan pick. The others are pretty obscure (if not non-existent) from a historical smash-poll standpoint. If corporate Nintendo were really behind the fighters pass, then I would have figured they'd go for one of three strategies:

A) Promote a new and upcoming game/franchise to the Switch

B) Go hardcore fan service just for sake of selling DLC

C) Add characters that appeal to completely different genres and fanbases so as to pull in new players

Actually, never mind. I think C seems to hit the nail on the head and it coincides with the goals that Nintendo has already publicly stated. They've basically tried to target the JRPG crowd, Nostalgia crowd, and the arcade fighting game community at large. If this is really their strategy, then it kind of makes me worry about what's to come. Will we get more direct fan service or will they pretty much give the main smash community the finger in order to pander to those that don't already play the game?

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
So, I recently thought about something in regards to Fighter #5. Of course, I feel that Geno WILL be joining the roster, and initially I thought he'd be the bonus character after the current Fighters Pass. However, with Nintendo revealing that more DLC fighters are in development, I've been debating on whether Fighter #5 would end up being either Doom Slayer, or Geno. Rewatching Terry's reveal trailer however, has begun to convince me that Fighter #5 might in fact be Geno. Reasons? Well, I'll just leave these two pieces here.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
So, I recently thought about something in regards to Fighter #5. Of course, I feel that Geno WILL be joining the roster, and initially I thought he'd be the bonus character after the current Fighters Pass. However, with Nintendo revealing that more DLC fighters are in development, I've been debating on whether Fighter #5 would end up being either Doom Slayer, or Geno. Rewatching Terry's reveal trailer however, has begun to convince me that Fighter #5 might in fact be Geno. Reasons? Well, I'll just leave these two pieces here.

Iiiii personally feel that's really stretching it. I'm still pretty darn positive that, if we get Geno, it will be as additional DLC and not as Fighter Pack 5.

D

Deleted member

Terry's star on his jacket is kind of iconic for the character, hence why his series logo is that star and not like a stylized F or something. Him silhouetted with the star like a hole through him is a callback to Real Bout: Fatal Fury's opening. The pause on the SNES, likewise, doesn't mean much to me, since it was just going back to the point in time where the Neo Geo was relevant. If anything, it was just a fun way to throw off people who don't consume their lives with leaks and speculation.

I just don't really think there's a hint there. Now, if the next trailer starts the same way and stops on the SNES, I'm gonna have a fit. Then I'll have more of a fit when it scrolls to the left and reveals the Sega Saturn or something.

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
I had an idea that Joker helps Geno in that his Victory Theme is just P5 victory theme on loop like in game and not a traditional symphonic snippet or little ditty from their game like Banjo. I could see them doing this for Geno. Just that Mario RPG victory theme on loop. ^_^

D

Deleted member

I had an idea that Joker helps Geno in that his Victory Theme is just P5 victory theme on loop like in game and not a traditional symphonic snippet or little ditty from their game like Banjo. I could see them doing this for Geno. Just that Mario RPG victory theme on loop. ^_^
Cloud proved that this is a possibility first.

P47

Smash Apprentice
I think Cloud's victory theme is also like that

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I gotta admit, as cool as Joker is, and as freaking awesome as B-K is, Hero and Terry are pretty meh to me. I'm starting to really question Sakurai's claim that Nintendo supposedly picked the fighters pass due to the fact that the chosen characters feel very "Sakurai" to me. Then we have those comments from Atlas that make it sound like Joker was totally a fan-boy pick by the man himself. Also consider the fact that of the four we currently know of, only B-K was an obvious fan pick. The others are pretty obscure (if not non-existent) from a historical smash-poll standpoint. If corporate Nintendo were really behind the fighters pass, then I would have figured they'd go for one of three strategies:

A) Promote a new and upcoming game/franchise to the Switch

B) Go hardcore fan service just for sake of selling DLC

C) Add characters that appeal to completely different genres and fanbases so as to pull in new players

Actually, never mind. I think C seems to hit the nail on the head and it coincides with the goals that Nintendo has already publicly stated. They've basically tried to target the JRPG crowd, Nostalgia crowd, and the arcade fighting game community at large. If this is really their strategy, then it kind of makes me worry about what's to come. Will we get more direct fan service or will they pretty much give the main smash community the finger in order to pander to those that don't already play the game?

Hero I understand because DQ is huge in Japan and with DQ11 coming out it makes sense for Nintendo to want to push that.

Banjo makes sense with Nintendo and Microsoft being buddies that last couple of years.

I don’t get Joker and Terry though. I’m not familiar with the Persona series, but I know Persona 5 is the latest and as far as I know it’s not coming to the Switch or at least still hasn’t been announced. So I don’t really get that. And Terry I don’t believe has been that relevant lately so I don’t know what Nintendo would get from that. But maybe I’m wrong and he’s more mainstream than I know.

And I don’t hate any of these characters and I’m happy for their fans. I just don’t get some of the decision making by Nintendo. But all we can really see is what is out there and not behind the scenes so who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom