• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Remember when everyone acted like a Granblue character was their most wanted for awhile?
I remember seeing someone think a Granblue character was coming and was going to be the "female with a mech" character not too long ago

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Yeah, exactly. Joker interested me because I wanted to play P5 real bad (and still do), but I have no interest in DQ at all, and couldn't care less about KoF or Metal Slug. I understand people like those two, but not knowing a thing about them makes it a lot harder to care.
I've only really had Microsoft consoles and Nintendo consoles. So Persona was completely foreign to me unless I knew the 3DS games existed since they tend to be Playstation exclusive. Most of the Dragon Quest games released before I was even born. Later games were mostly playstation exclusive until they and older games started getting re-released on DS/3DS. But, by that point and with the lack of marketing how would I know those games existed or have any interest in playing them? Finally with SNK, I grew up during a time the arcade industry was dying and places like Main Event/Dave & Busters were taking their place. I wouldn't have the emotional attachment to SNK and their characters like a lot of people older than me would have. It wasn't till recently they unloaded a large selection of their games to the E-Shop.

People seemed shocked when people weren't interested in Joker, Hero, and a SNK rep. When it's understandable that these franchises weren't easily available to a lot of us till SUPER recently.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Here are the things I can see happening:

#4:
SNK (one person from KoF or Metal Slug).
Doomguy
Heihachi
Crash
Spyro
Monster Hunter
Ryu Hayabusa
SEGA (one person between Tails or Eggman).
Geno
At this point, it's probably all but confirmed that an SNK rep is our next character, but you never know that there is still a possibility that it could be a simple mistake and Nintendo could be hiding it to fix the mistake. None of the leakers are sure who the next fighter is as no name has come out yet. Even Milk Bosatu can't give us a name.

Doom Guy could still be likely to show up as the final DLC character, with or without Ryu Hayabusa but that really depends whether or not Bethesda asked Nintendo for him and if Sakurai decided he was fit to be made into a character. For all we know Banjo & Kazooie could be the first and only time a character of western origin makes it in.

Finally, the reason I feel Geno would be a bonus character of sorts is because he is part of the Super Mario Bros series despite being owned by Square Enix and the fighters pass so far consists of characters from series not seen in Super Smash Bros until now.

The rest I just don't see happening in this fighters pass at all.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I do hope that there's more DLC after this. I can see a great way to handle the last 10 fighters is to two split it up among two Fighters Pass. One strictly Nintendo series that brings in Rex & Pyra, ARMS, Isaac, and Geno if he ain't the fifth fighter (which most likely ain't happening). And the last Fighter Pass is all based on a brand new Fighters Ballot that starts in 2020 so it give Nintendo a year to negotiate the rights for certain third party characters.

Also ditch all Mii Costume development and focus the time to make either Echo Fighters or alternate Costumes for the establish Fighters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm just amazed that with all the video games I have played. Sakurai somehow picks characters from 3 I haven't played. And with my current luck. It's going to be 4 characters from games I haven't played in the fighter pass lmao
not too surprising to me since all of the Smash 4 DLC who wasn't a returning fighter, I'd never played their game, and so far I've only played Banjo Kazooie in this round of DLC. Sakurai's taste and mine just don't line up.

Back when I was 11, 64 and Melee introduced me to F-Zero, Metroid, Mother, and Fire Emblem, and now it feels like every franchise Smash tries to introduce me to comes off as forced or blatant advertisement.

Bob-Omber

Smash Cadet
In the corner drinking a frosty with a straw
At this point, it's probably all but confirmed that an SNK rep is our next character, but you never know that there is still a possibility that it could be a simple mistake and Nintendo could be hiding it to fix the mistake.
Im not so sure about that...not after the whole stage builder thing and the July releases revealing Hero's release month

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Sakurai did go on record and called Doom the mother of the FPS genre. So he holds the game series in high regard. Just not high enough to beat out the characters that are currently in the fighter pass. :4pacman:
That remains to be seen. We still have one more fighter after the SNK rep gets revealed and with all of the Doom Eternal buzz working over the course of the next several months, I still wouldn't be surprised to see Doom Slayer turn up.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I'm honestly really happy that Nintendo is willing to pick characters from more obscure franchises. It makes the whole pass way more exciting and gives me a little bit of hope for my never-ever dream picks haha
And who knows? Maybe Smash makes you fall in love with a franchise you might have never heard of otherwise. I know it worked for me and Xenoblade.
That's nice. I'd personally prefer to get characters I'm actually excited about instead of being in a situation where you have to learn to love something. I've checked out KoF before and I'm honestly just not that interested in it.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
That remains to be seen. We still have one more fighter after the SNK rep gets revealed and with all of the Doom Eternal buzz working over the course of the next several months, I still wouldn't be surprised to see Doom Slayer turn up.
Of course of course. But I worded it in the context of this thread since we really hope the 5th fighter is Geno.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Im not so sure about that...not after the whole stage builder thing and the July releases revealing Hero's release month
There could still be a small chance since it is online and not stuck in an ad or a poster of an ad.

Anyway I'm not too fussed about getting an SNK rep. I already got Banjo & Kazooie so whatever else arrives I welcome it. I just hope Geno gets in for you guys.

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
I'm just amazed that with all the video games I have played. Sakurai somehow picks characters from 3 I haven't played. And with my current luck. It's going to be 4 characters from games I haven't played in the fighter pass lmao
I mean I haven't played the games that any of the fighter pass characters originate from. As far as I am concerned this isn't anything new though.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I think making the second pass about upgrading spirits and assists would probably be the hypest reveal they could give. geno issac shantae skull kid bomberman rayman zero alucard ashley shadows knuckles lyn krystal ray saki goroh shovel knight waluigi... they could make all ultimate dlc from hereon out just upgrades and people would be insanely hyped

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So here is something I don't think anyone is really talking about: Banjo is likely to release next week sometime and THAT is CRAZY!

So you guys want some speculation?

You remember when some of us mentioned that Banjo or Hero could be coming out soon since both of them looked very much done at E3?

Welp, now that 7/11 ad makes it seems that we will get Banjo next week!

Now, why in the heck would we be getting him that quickly? There are only two characters left in the Fighter's Pass, one of which it seems like who know who they might be. If we do get a new character announcement this week and Banjo drops the week after, that means only one more fighter for the pass for the rest of the year into next year.

Here me out guys: What if we have been looking at this all wrong the entire time? What if Feb 2020 wasn't the determined goal, but only a soft deadline? Sakurai and Co are spitting out characters as fast as we can handle them it seems...so why would they be pushing out the characters this fast...unless there were future plans?

What if they are trying to get Bonus DLC done that they have the rights to? What if they are pushing these characters out because a second pass has already been approved and they want to take a small break and then have something to reveal next year?

Just seems AWFULLY fishy to me that these characters are getting pumped out so quick for no particular reason...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So here is something I don't think anyone is really talking about: Banjo is likely to release next week sometime and THAT is CRAZY!

You remember when some of us mentioned that Banjo or Hero could be coming out soon since both of them looked very much done at E3?

Now, why in the heck would we be getting him that quickly? There are only two characters left in the Fighter's Pass, one of which it seems like who know who they might be. If we do get a new character announcement this week and Banjo drops the week after, that means only one more fighter for the pass for the rest of the year into next year.

Here me out guys: What if we have been looking at this all wrong the entire time? What if Feb 2020 wasn't the determined goal, but only a soft deadline? Sakurai and Co are spitting out characters as fast as we can handle them it seems...so why would they be pushing out the characters this fast...unless there were future plans?

What if they are trying to get Bonus DLC done that they have the rights to? What if they are pushing these characters out because a second pass has already been approved and they want to take a small break and then have something to reveal next year?

Just seems AWFULLY fishy to me that these characters are getting pumped out so quick for no particular reason...
>getting Banjo next week

That lines up with the female character who will confuse people on the 12th rumor... last I checked only the mecha rumor was disproven, not the base female rumor...

MissingGlitch

Smash Master

I really don't want to bring you down or anything. But it could also mean they are ahead of schedule....

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
One from Fire Emblem: Byleth.
One from Pokemon: Grookey (last evolution).
One from Zelda: Mipha or Skull Kid.
One from Kirby: Bandana Dee
One from Mario: This one could be Geno if they decide not to put Geno in the FP; or if Geno ends as a First Party universe; or it could be another well known from a Nintendo franchise

I know it looks to be more and more like we are getting a third party only, but I still think there is a chance for a first-party that could slink in with all these, I mean, this is Nintendo we are talking about. The same folks that thought Corrin was a good late and last addition to the last DLC (luckily he grants something new with his moveset so that's something) and end the base game reveal with Incineroar and Ken and PP (and I say that as someone that likes to play with PP).

Vacation... that madman needs a vacation. That or ahead of schedule like MissingGlitch MissingGlitch says

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord

my theory on why it seems so ramped right now is how joker/hero/ and banjo were all admitted to be worked on in a group, joker obviously got priority but after seeing the e3 direct I couldn't imagine there was much left to be done for the other two and the release dates are looking to support that. I'm expecting 4 and 5 to create a similar info drought like what we slugged through from dec to april and then release like a month and a half from each other.

EDIT: one thing I will concede however is if the 711 leak comes through then banjo will have broken his fall release date, which at the very least means they are ahead of schedule. It could have major implications for not only the pass but any future dlc

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
>getting Banjo next week

That lines up with the female character who will confuse people on the 12th rumor... last I checked only the mecha rumor was disproven, not the base female rumor...
Both claims were made by anonymous 4chan users so you shouldn't pay too much attention to it

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Both claims were made by anonymous 4chan users so you shouldn't pay too much attention to it
and even then that 4chan post was piggybacking off another rumor shortly after E3 the next character would be a female from a fighting game..

Last edited:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I’m kind of hoping that the SNK character will be Terry Bogard w/ female alt, Marco from Metal Slug with other three characters as alts, Kyo Kusanagi from KOF, Mai Shiranui from Fatal Fury or Haohomaru from Samurai Shodown, I’d be fine with either since I have games from each series on my Switch. I’d be fine with either outcome because I already got Banjo, but Geno would definitely be a plus for me though.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I really don't want to bring you down or anything. But it could also mean they are ahead of schedule....
Vacation... that madman needs a vacation. That or ahead of schedule like MissingGlitch MissingGlitch says
Don't get me wrong, that could absolutely be it, but...

Sakurai likes his little surprises. He doesn't troll us very often or for very long, but he does like to hit us with surprises because he's proud of his work and his game. I feel like them simply being 'ahead of schedule' is the least likely thing because, to have been THIS ahead of schedule, they would have had to work CRAZY hard. I mean, Plant was mostly done in Nov. Joker was announced with no gameplay at all in Dec, and then released in April which means my older posts saying that he was likely done somewhere in Jan-March is likely correct. Thus that wait time was to work on having both Hero and Banjo done enough to reveal both for E3, which was June 11th. Suddenly, we get Hero at the end of July and now Banjo in early Sept? This would mean that not only Hero but also Banjo was mostly done and that what we can presume to be a SNK/KoF character has been worked on since...June? Maybe May? We will know for sure if we get #4 revealed in the Sept Direct but jesus lord almighty, THAT is an INSANE pace just to be 'ahead of schedule'.

This is why I feel like there is more of some sort.

Also remember that we still have 6 more modes coming to Ultimate, and that each mode thus far has been released alongside the character...but we only have three more characters left...

Really makes ya thonk!

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I’m kind of hoping that the SNK character will be Terry Bogard w/ female alt, Marco from Metal Slug with other three characters as alts, Kyo Kusanagi from KOF, Mai Shiranui from Fatal Fury or Haohomaru from Samurai Shodown, I’d be fine with either since I have games from each series on my Switch. I’d be fine with either outcome because I already got Banjo, but Geno would definitely be a plus for me though.
Nah! You're getting a Doom Guy with a Doom Girl alt :4pacman:

Or Geno with a Genette alt! :ultpacman:

Last edited:

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Looking through this whole thread the past two days makes me kinda concerned for marketing team behind SNK

Like, they are notorious for porting there stuff everywhere (literally when the Switch lauched, they where porting there NEO GEO games like a mad men through the Arcade Classics)

And ya know... There was the whole Capcom VS. SNK games

So either not alot of people here play alot (or even just have a passing knowledge) of fighting games

Or that SNK really really need to get some better PR like those Dragon Quest guys lol

honestly, i stopped watching him since the november direct and even after Banjo & Kazooie i still refused to go back to give my care for him.
After watching the video he made, and then reading this comment right afterwards

Boy howdy dose this comes across as insensitive

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Looking through this whole thread the past two days makes me kinda concerned for marketing team behind SNK

Like, they are notorious for porting there stuff everywhere (literally when the Switch lauched, they where porting there NEO GEO games like a mad men through the Arcade Classics)

So either not alot of people here play alot (or even just have a passing knowledge) of fighting games

Or that SNK really really need to get some better PR like those Dragon Quest guys lol

After watching the video he made, and then reading this comment right afterwards

i understand, i might have stopped liking him for his whole point on believing fiery garfield and ken and then being right about it plus excepting the fact that Isaac is an assist i did tried to go back to rewatch him only to realize there are more things that makes me feel uncomfortable watching him.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

Honestly SNK is fine. This is just more proof in the Smash Community Pudding that Smash players don't really play other fighting games. I've seen this a lot and it seems to be a truth. I mean, just look at the separation between FGC and Smash that will ALWAYS be there! It's not just the FGC hating on Smash: it's also Smash fans thinking Smash is better than any other fighting game.

Also, Nintendo fans don't always branch out, and SNK was either in arcades or on non-Nintendo systems it would seem.

Also also, for SOME reason, Smash fans (who are, by proxy, fans of at least ONE fighting game) find it odd that a fighting game would crossover with another fighting game...when THAT is literally what fighting games do...ALL THE TIME!

Hell, one of the MOST iconic fighting game franchises of all time IS A CROSSOVER GAME!

WHERE YO CURLY MUSTACHE AT?!

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
https://twitter.com/SNKHeroinesTTF/status/1168366408725458944?s=19
Haven't seen anyone post about this yet, but does anyone think this means anything? Saying that the leak wasn't real, or maybe just messing with us because it is real? Can't say I'd know either way, but it could be interesting.
Ohhhhh I really hope it's Athena.

It probably doesn't mean anything, though.

Haha oh ****

https://twitter.com/New_WabiSabi/status/1168633558971244544

"With the way things are sounding from what I've heard from a lot of people now, Smash speculation is gonna get REALLY wild after this next reveal, lol. This character is gonna lead to people assuming a certain other one is #5. Can't wait to see the community implode"
Consider my emotions played with.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So, you guys heard @Billybae10K has quit youtube?
Holy ****! But honestly, his rates were never that on the mark. I think he was very bias or just unliking with a lot of the characters he rated. He literally rated Steve at 100% before E3 lol! No one is lock fore sure.

You're next waifu is a bird and she'll arrive in approximately 3 weeks :>
Kazooie is best waifu.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Like who the **** could be connected to an SNK character that's not another SNK character? Unless the trailer has some sort of hint at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom