• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
A couple weeks ago I discovered the “Ignore” button. From the looks of some of these response posts to blank quotes that I cannot see, I am very thankful that I found this feature
Believe me, you aren't missing a thing. ;)

And to second Fatmanonice's comment, we need to remember that Geno not only had a costume, but that Sak himself spoke on it. It wasn't just some uninspired cash grab like so many other Mii Costumes. It was the most powerful indication he could give to show that Geno hasn't been forgotten. He had to specifically get permission from SE to make it. That's kind of a big deal in the sense that he could have just given us something totally generic in the vague LIKENESS of Geno. But no, he gave us a legit, playable (albeit questionably rendered) Geno. Considering that the Mii costume is now absent, I highly doubt he would have just forgot about it or that SE would refuse 100% free money. There is a purpose here. We may not know the extent of it, but there is. I refuse to believe that at very very very least, Nintendo and SE would deny us the costume and anything else just because they hate money and want to make a statement. Period.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Not only that but it was literally the only full Square Enix costume and I think the only costume aside from Heihachi that Sakurai bothered to talk about in a presentation.
I simply cannot fathom the “maybe they just cut his costume but left a bunch of other much more insignificant ones in” argument.

Would be pretty strange for Sakurai to acknowledge Geno’s popularity and longevity and his desire to at least give his fans something in smash 4 only to remove/not port this costume in Ultimate, a game that they already have rights to use Geno in.

HMMM

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I just feel like it's going to go one of two ways.
Either a) spirits deconfirm and new franchises are the specific rule or b) popular characters with new mechanics will get in.
Right now, it's currently both but we may possibly see this pattern break if Geno joins the roster. Right now, it's a make-or-break on rules and regulations. We just have to see if the starling does mean what we hope it means.
I have to say after reading several pages of people arguing about various things but mostly the spirit issue you have summed everything up so nice and simple and accurately. Basically there are 2 schools of thought as a result of what Reggie said and how that can be interpreted differently (even though in the context of what he was saying it did seem more like he meant the latter b option). And both schools of thought have been proven true so far in the fighters pass. So really we don't know either way. As far as spirits go I'll also say that them keeping the spirit in the game does make sense even if they found out afterwards that Geno would be playable. They would likely have removed all SMRPG spirits if they decided to remove Geno which would be more work than necessary and then people might hack the game and find these missing spirits and then we'd really be able to put our tinfoil hats on. It was probably wise to keep as much content in the game as possible so that dlc really could be up in the air. But at any rate can we just take a moment to appreciate Glitch-EGamer's ability to summarize all this so well.?

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I'm not trying to gaslight when I say that they aren't maliciously spreading misinformation and arguing in bad faith. Like I mentioned they have no reason to not take Sabi's word at things when she is the only known entity to ResetERA as a whole and they would only really pay attention to her words. Being misinformed on an issue isn't malicious when that sort of information isn't commonly or even super easily accessible. Even if they have a negative bias, they aren't going beyond being critical/dismissive of specific theories on Geno's inclusion and certainly not to any length that isn't more common place around the internet with these things including our own site. They've talked about Geno multiple times in multiple threads, and it's less a negative bias or a dislike, and more of some apathy, some non-belief in his chances, and some people on board to various degrees with his inclusion. None of which should be demonized.

I'm not going to get into the picture anymore because I realize people are tired of it, but it genuinely bothers me on a fundamental level that we wouldn't tolerate this sort of behavior from any other "leaker," but that we're openly flaunting it because it's our thread involved. I've been told that he could be more forthcoming and his "Bear and Bird" hint directly proves he could be more forthcoming as a source, so yeah, I think I'm well within my rights to approach the situation as I do.

I realize the place I'm in, but I thought we were more open to discussion than that. I don't see why Smash taking a break from the spotlight from a Nintendo Direct or two is a contentious opinion, especially when most of us are fans of many Nintendo products beyond Smash and would like to see them highlighted and focused upon. As for the Super Mario RPG characters, that was in the context of the wider audience of people beyond our thread, which is another important perspective to bring in. I admit I was a little more off the mark with that one, especially in the wake of Dragon Quest's Spirit Board, but I still think it's important to bring that stuff up when we're discussing such things like a Spirit Board (and especially in comparison to Persona 5 where the main party was selected for representation and Super Mario RPG's entire main party already existed in various forms). There's a variety of good topics and thoughts to bring to discussion.
Your argument for the people on that thread being misinformed falls apart when you see they literally had a link to this specific thread to a post where Fatmanonice discusses the leak and leaker in detail. They obviously knew what was said here and tried to frame it as something that it's not to suit their own narrative. Playing with semantics about them not being dismissive of Geno but the theories that give any chance to him being playable is so silly, man. They don't like Geno. They frame a certain theory and individuals in a certain way to imply said theory and therefore Geno's inclusion isn't something to be taken seriously because they don't like Geno or inherrently don't see him as likely. It's not demonizing if it's being blunt about what's going on there. If you love it there more power to you, but people are naturally going to point out the bias and bad faith arguments going on if you post a link to them.

"I think I'm well within my rights to approach the situation as I do."

M8 this isn't about rights. I'm not saying you should be put in jail or banned for accusing someone of being problematiic. But realistically what he's doing really isn't that big of a deal and isn't as egregious as you're making it sound and that's why I'm bringing it up. I think part of my annoyance is that plenty of other leakers have been straight up assholes or given out false information as fact and you haven't really gone after them in the same way. So it seems like a bit of a double-standard over something so innocuous.

"I don't see why Smash taking a break from the spotlight from a Nintendo Direct or two is a contentious opinion "
Because we're in a specific character speculation thread that at the time was anxiously awaiting some sort of Smash news in the near future, and hoping for that was literally all the thread was talking about. So saying "Uh, actually I'd rather not" is naturally going to come off as contrarian.

"As for the Super Mario RPG characters, that was in the context of the wider audience of people beyond our thread, which is another important perspective to bring in"

But that's the thing. The wider audience of people outside this thread who have actually played SMRPG really love the characters and want the game to get a sequel or remake or anything because they want the characters to come back. When you say things like this it feels like you're more speaking about your own opinion and projecting it onto the "wider audience" when that's not actually what is true.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I have to say after reading several pages of people arguing about various things but mostly the spirit issue you have summed everything up so nice and simple and accurately. Basically there are 2 schools of thought as a result of what Reggie said and how that can be interpreted differently (even though in the context of what he was saying it did seem more like he meant the latter b option). And both schools of thought have been proven true so far in the fighters pass. So really we don't know either way. As far as spirits go I'll also say that them keeping the spirit in the game does make sense even if they found out afterwards that Geno would be playable. They would likely have removed all SMRPG spirits if they decided to remove Geno which would be more work than necessary and then people might hack the game and find these missing spirits and then we'd really be able to put our tinfoil hats on. It was probably wise to keep as much content in the game as possible so that dlc really could be up in the air. But at any rate can we just take a moment to appreciate Glitch-EGamer's ability to summarize all this so well.?
yes, and I also think what he had for option B is very likely what Reggie meant. You don't typically expect characters with new mechanics stuffs like Joker's and Hero's, and Banjo & Kazooie likely have something new, too. Geno definitely would if they used the timed-hit mechanic from SMRPG. Plus, Reggie said nothing about franchises, and I don't think anyone expected this stuff (albeit his "unexpected" comment is really just subjective). Even B-K fans were nearly drowning in tears after Microsoft's E3 presentation, even though they were optimistic just within a few days beforehand, which was only because of suspect merch stuff and Shinobi as well as Sabi's old source who's currently gracing us with a starling.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Similarly, bringing back the Chocobo Hat with Hero would just be incredibly confusing and suspicious if Geno wasn’t there as well.

Honestly, the following is a totally baseless theory, but here’s what I think could’ve happened with Geno and Square:

Brawl Era: “Who the **** is Geno? We own that character? Eh... we’re not really interested.”

4 Era: “Hey, we want to be in Smash now... oh, what’s that? You’re still on about that puppet guy? We can... make him one of those costumes to go along with Cloud, how about that?”

Early Ultimate Era: “...Alright, alright, fine, you can keep Cloud in the base game, but we’ll need new DLC as well. ...Geno? Nah, you can make him one of those Spirit things, let’s go with DQ.”

Late Ultimate Era, after Geno becomes one of the major stars of the Smash hype and speculation scene: “Wait, wait, wait, you’re telling us that people actually want this puppet thing? Seriously? Let’s make a deal, then.”

I 100% believe that if Geno’s happening, it was a very late decision based on renewed popularity from Ultimate hype, where he became an exceedingly common name.
I've kind of considered this and think it would be pretty hilariously ironic if the Grinch Leak was what tipped the scales to get Geno in. We know that Joker, Hero, and Banjo were all in development last December so it makes me wonder when 4 and 5 started if November was essentially the decision deadline.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
"Wider audience" is a bunch of bull**** anyway. That was one of the primary arguments against Banjo and Ridley, and here we are.

I hope I don't have to link the Ballot consolidation again, because it's actually pretty ****ing on the mark with what we've gotten

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Its funny how Square has been misleading with the music in the Smash trailers every time.

Cloud's uses Opening - Bombing Mission at the start of his trailer, but its not one of the TWO SONGS he has bundled with him.

Geno's costume played Beware the Forest's Mushrooms on the splash screen, but its not downloadable either.

Hero has DQ3's Adventure (Orchestra version) in his second half of the trailer, but he comes with the MIDI version instead.

So do we have to be skeptical with Square news in Smash since we won't get exactly what is shown?

Firox

Smash Master
On a lighter note, my favorite thing about Hero is that I get to play as Future Trunks, Teen Gohan and Adult Pan with the same character! Who says we couldn't get DBZ characters into Smash? :chuckle:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
Its funny how Square has been misleading with the music in the Smash trailers every time.

Cloud's uses Opening - Bombing Mission at the start of his trailer, but its not one of the TWO SONGS he has bundled with him.

Geno's costume played Beware the Forest's Mushrooms on the splash screen, but its not downloadable either.

Hero has DQ3's Adventure (Orchestra version) in his second half of the trailer, but he comes with the MIDI version instead.

So do we have to be skeptical with Square news in Smash since we won't get exactly what is shown?
Joker's VGA reveal also features the instrumental version of Life Will Change, which isn't in the final game. I'm guessing music used for promotional purposes is negotiated separately from what appears in the game proper. If anything that would strike me as Nintendo/Sora being misleading, but I doubt their intention is anything like that. They just wanna make good trailers.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I dont see where the Chocobo hat and Geno hat could return

But I also dont see why they wouldve cut it. Genos already a spirit, they already have the rights to him

Firox

Smash Master
Allow me to do that honor then.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...pw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=729442469
I'm amazed that Lanky got enough attention in this.
You know what? The most awesome thing about this data is that Sakurai himself corroborates these results exactly. He admitted that there was at least one other Brawl veteran besides Snake that outranked Bayonetta, and sure enough, we have Wolf (who I personally voted for in the official ballot beside Isaac and Geno). Then you run down the "realizable" picks in order and we have King K Rool, Banjo Kazooie, Inkling, Bayonetta, IceClimbers, (Then Geno), Ridley, Daisy, Simon Belmont and so on. That leaves us with the following characters in order: Bandana Dee, Shantae... and then Geno. Considering that he's the only one of the three to not only have a mii costume, but to have also had an honorable mention by Sakurai, I think that makes a pretty solid argument for Geno with respect to popularity.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Your argument for the people on that thread being misinformed falls apart when you see they literally had a link to this specific thread to a post where Fatmanonice discusses the leak and leaker in detail. They obviously knew what was said here and tried to frame it as something that it's not to suit their own narrative. Playing with semantics about them not being dismissive of Geno but the theories that give any chance to him being playable is so silly, man. They don't like Geno. They frame a certain theory and individuals in a certain way to imply said theory and therefore Geno's inclusion isn't something to be taken seriously because they don't like Geno or inherrently don't see him as likely. It's not demonizing if it's being blunt about what's going on there. If you love it there more power to you, but people are naturally going to point out the bias and bad faith arguments going on if you post a link to them.

"I think I'm well within my rights to approach the situation as I do."

M8 this isn't about rights. I'm not saying you should be put in jail or banned for accusing someone of being problematiic. But realistically what he's doing really isn't that big of a deal and isn't as egregious as you're making it sound and that's why I'm bringing it up. I think part of my annoyance is that plenty of other leakers have been straight up ******** or given out false information as fact and you haven't really gone after them in the same way. So it seems like a bit of a double-standard over something so innocuous.

"I don't see why Smash taking a break from the spotlight from a Nintendo Direct or two is a contentious opinion "
Because we're in a specific character speculation thread that at the time was anxiously awaiting some sort of Smash news in the near future, and hoping for that was literally all the thread was talking about. So saying "Uh, actually I'd rather not" is naturally going to come off as contrarian.

"As for the Super Mario RPG characters, that was in the context of the wider audience of people beyond our thread, which is another important perspective to bring in"

But that's the thing. The wider audience of people outside this thread who have actually played SMRPG really love the characters and want the game to get a sequel or remake or anything because they want the characters to come back. When you say things like this it feels like you're more speaking about your own opinion and projecting it onto the "wider audience" when that's not actually what is true.
I didn't see the link to the thread, but again, I wouldn't expect them to know or care about the intricacies of their relationships and would just listen to Sabi. I don't see them as an intentional misrepresentation of things or that people have known everything that was said. And it's not playing semantics. I supported Banjo Kazooie, but I didn't support many of the theories that revolved around him. Just like I support Geno, but don't support the theories that revolve around him. Same went for Isaac. Believing theories that support a character is not also a prerequisite of supporting that character. Support comes in many different ways, and I'd argue we're better off encouraging harsh criticisms of theories, but that's another discussion altogether.

And I was absolutely as harsh on Vergeben as I have been on Fatmanonice and the NOA source when it comes to this "puppeteer-ing" of the fan base by saying vague hints and refusing to clarify things at different points. Verge was wildly derided for that, and I absolutely talked about him in an equally harsh manner for that. I was critical of Shinobi too for their more vague comments. I'd rather be told information that doesn't pan out over being strung along on an "information adventure" or whatever have you. It's one of my biggest annoyances ever with people in general. I can handle an asshole, I'm much less tolerant of people who withhold information in a cheeky manner for "fun" and it honestly comes off as worse to me personally.

As for the "general public," I try to bring in what I see in other threads like the Social Thread, like ResetERA, other support threads, and hell, even GameFAQs at times even though i generally don't support listening to them for too long (real discussions do happen on there once you wade through the junk and toxicity). I admit I can be wrong in those analyses of things, but that's a perspective I think is important to keep in mind.

"Wider audience" is a bunch of bull**** anyway. That was one of the primary arguments against Banjo and Ridley, and here we are.

I hope I don't have to link the Ballot consolidation again, because it's actually pretty ****ing on the mark with what we've gotten
Consolidation doesn't inherently mean anything in statistics if you're testing the exact same groups time and time again, I've been over this countless times too. You're getting a really accurate picture of a group within the population of Smash players through multiple tests, but those surveys don't have as much power due to the fact that the vast majority of these polls often having the exact same voters and support groups advertising them to their own support threads. There's a massive issue of voluntary response bias, not to mention, there's damn near limitless options for character choices, so it becomes really difficult to work with that data in meaningful ways.

There's a well known wider audience that exists for Super Smash Bros when Ultimate has sold almost 15 million copies, Reddit, SmashBoards, ResetERA, and so on will only ever account for a relatively small fraction of Smash players, who usually have specialized knowledge about video games and will vote in more specific ways. Wider audience is not "bull****" and is actively a major part of Smash development and speculation... otherwise we'd have the most boring straightforward roster ever. And anecdotally, I saw so many people happy to see Isabelle in the game who didn't really care about Ridley or King K. Rool because they weren't hardcore Nintendo or Smash fans just in my friend group. There's more than the hardcore Smash base to consider in every decision.

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Consolidation doesn't inherently mean anything in statistics if you're testing the exact same groups time and time again, I've been over this countless times too. You're getting a really accurate picture of a group within the population of Smash players through multiple tests, but those surveys don't have as much power due to the fact that the vast majority of these polls often having the exact same voters and support groups advertising them to their own support threads. There's a massive issue of voluntary response bias, not to mention, there's damn near limitless options for character choices, so it becomes really difficult to work with that data in meaningful ways.
And that bias is also present in the Ballot itself. That's why the higher present characters on the consolidation turned out to get presence in the final game.

Firox

Smash Master
Allow me to do that honor then.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...pw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=729442469
I'm amazed that Lanky got enough attention in this.
I have to admit, some of the more obscure votes on this table have me laughing out loud. Like Magnemite? Really? Of all 800+ pokemon, more than one person voted for that one? No Zoroark? No Scizor? No Sceptile? No Gengar? Something with LIMBS maybe? And why not go big and say Magnezone? It's just so arbitrary. Or Batman? ROFL WTF?

D

Deleted member

I have to admit, some of the more obscure votes on this table have me laughing out loud. Like Magnemite? Really? Of all 800+ pokemon, more than one person voted for that one? No Zoroark? No Scizor? No Sceptile? No Gengar? Something with LIMBS maybe? And why not go big and say Magnezone? It's just so arbitrary. Or Batman? ROFL WTF?
Oh I've heard Magnemite is a meme in Japan for some odd reason which may be why it got votes. Gengar, Zoroark and Sceptile make a lot more sense but like the West having Goku/Shrek Japan has Megnemite.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Decided to go back and review the Mii costume trailers for Smash 4 and compare their time lengths. Heihachi got 13 seconds to himself, the Virtua Fighter costumes got 24 seconds combined, and Geno got about 29 seconds while being the only Mii costume to get a splash screen. That said, it definitely got the most attention of all the Mii costumes in Smash 4.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
And that bias is also present in the Ballot itself. That's why the higher present characters on the consolidation turned out to get presence in the final game.
That's true, but there's a great deal of non-ballot related choices to consider and people who you're still appealing to beyond the ballot even with the characters chosen from the ballot. Even fan picks like Banjo Kazooie needs to be sold to the general audience in some way. You want to consider as much of the player base as possible when making decisions, and many of those voices will not appear in our polls or even in the official ballot. That's really all I'm saying.

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
Magnemite is kinda like Japan's meme Pokemon; they vote for it on tons of popularity polls. For example, a character poll for Pokken; Gengar ended up being the winner, but Magnemite got a ton of meme votes, which was referenced in Gengar's reveal trailer:

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's nothing, you should see the wider poll results Source Gaming compiled.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bx0_ETF2mcYwYmk0YWFRbE1vMjg
You can see Pyoro at the very end of that. :p

Firox

Smash Master
Magnemite is kinda like Japan's meme Pokemon; they vote for it on tons of popularity polls. For example, a character poll for Pokken; Gengar ended up being the winner, but Magnemite got a ton of meme votes, which was referenced in Gengar's reveal trailer:
Ah. Interesting. I didn't know that.

That's nothing, you should see the wider poll results Source Gaming compiled.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bx0_ETF2mcYwYmk0YWFRbE1vMjg
You can see Pyoro at the very end of that. :p
Holy crow! I'm pretty sure they hit pretty much every video game character in existence! I love how even the most absurdly obscure character has a die hard fan. Like, somewhere out there, we have a fan screaming at the top of their lungs for Ingo (aka Evil Luigi from Ocarina of Time) to make it into smash. lol

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
That's true, but there's a great deal of non-ballot related choices to consider and people who you're still appealing to beyond the ballot even with the characters chosen from the ballot. Even fan picks like Banjo Kazooie needs to be sold to the general audience in some way. You want to consider as much of the player base as possible when making decisions, and many of those voices will not appear in our polls or even in the official ballot. That's really all I'm saying.
Determining what the silent part of the community wants is a fool's errand, since they're silent. That just leads to guesses based on trends and such, so you end up taking a gamble in making even them happy. Oftentimes the silent portion is happy to just get anything at all

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
re: Spirits - wrt a Spirited character becoming playable, you literally don't have to get rid of the spirit - just rename it! Add in parentheses the source of the artwork like they do with the Mario Tennis and other Link and Zelda Spirits. Examples include: "Black Shadow (F-Zero GX)", "Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X)", "Shantae (Shantae and the Pirate's Curse)", "Geno (Super Mario RPG)" and so on

and just use either the fighter render for the fighter spirit, or an artwork from a different game they appear in
That's exactly what they did with the original art of Pit. It's just called Pit (Classic).

owjies

Smash Journeyman
True, but at the same time in any voting system the winners are often those that have the most mobilized and organized voting base. Members of all the major fan bases were out in force promoting their characters. While the general Smash audience might be a larger voting block, a large portion may not have voted at all or split their vote on more unrealizable characters like: their favorite Pokemon, FE Party members, anime/Marvel characters, etc.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Determining what the silent part of the community wants is a fool's errand, since they're silent. That just leads to guesses based on trends and such, so you end up taking a gamble in making even them happy. Oftentimes the silent portion is happy to just get anything at all
This is something Sakurai has directly stated that he intends to do though:

https://smashboards.com/threads/newcomer-dlc-speculation-discussion.453424/page-195#post-23349070
He always thinks it's important to hear voices from people not speaking up. Real beginners don't speak up. (p61)

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Something I just realized, with all this Spirit talk: Even if the DLC was finalized in November, we already had proof that Geno was in the game in some form since July’s direct, with the Battle Arena menu thing. They had already shown him in the game, and if anything changed regarding his status as an upcoming fighter, his disappearance from the base game would suddenly be a dead giveaway. His appearance as just an icon and not a Spirit would also be a dead giveaway, so even if he was chosen as DLC in the months that followed, they couldn’t really remove him.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Ive seen some people on this thread think geno is in for sure

Look, I want to be confident in his chances, but how could you say for sure? The Grinch leak buuuuurned

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Alot of people are getting really aggressive over people not believing in made up patterns and theories lol

I do agree with that one person that I can definitely see Geno being a individual DLC

As for the spirit situation, they probably do what Cloud did and just used his Smash render and that's about it

Would it be messy and inconsentient of having a fighter spirit and a spirit spirit of the same character? (Not even a different form)
Yes, but oh well, it's not like Square is boggling this game down with there copyright and lack of foresight as always

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Something I just realized, with all this Spirit talk: Even if the DLC was finalized in November, we already had proof that Geno was in the game in some form since July’s direct, with the Battle Arena menu thing. They had already shown him in the game, and if anything changed regarding his status as an upcoming fighter, his disappearance from the base game would suddenly be a dead giveaway. His appearance as just an icon and not a Spirit would also be a dead giveaway, so even if he was chosen as DLC in the months that followed, they couldn’t really remove him.
That's right, his spirit (via token) was shown well before the DLC was finalized. I forgot about that.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Guys, it just hit me. Know how in the first SSBU presentation in the E3 2018 Nintendo Direct, when they started showing off the fighters; Battlefield had what seemed to be petals falling down? Watching Hero's presentation from the other day, I noticed that when Sakurai displayed all four Heroes on Battlefield, the same petals could be seen falling down. And to what may seem completely unrelated, but is in fact part of the game; Palutena's guidance for Piranha Plant, Viridi pops up to nerd out on her knowledge of Plant species, AND also mentions the Mega Smilax (yes, that boss from SMRPG in Land's End). One of Mega Smilax's attacks is Petal Blast. It consists of petals that fall down upon the party, turning them all into Mushrooms. This last tidbit I'll admit it seems reaching but, I just noticed yesterday (unnecessarily late) that Geno's spirit is marked with a Mushroom, which includes it (as well as Mallow's spirit) within the Super Mario franchise.

Now, at this point in time all of these dots stand as conjectures, with a few facts tied into them but, could these (the petals, and Mega Smilax's mention in Palutena's guidance) have been details that were hinting at Geno's arrival as a fighter to SSBU as early as E3 2018?!?!?! :eek: In regards to the Mushroom icon in Geno's spirit, so far Geno's been seen as a Square Enix character, however having the Mushroom icon including it within the Super Mario franchise would lead one to think that... he'd be property of Nintendo. Though it may mean nothing yet but, what if the two SMRPG soundtracks that were taken down a while back had some relation to what may have been the acquisition of rights, by Nintendo from Square Enix, of Geno's character (along with potentially other characters from SMRPG)?

This is all simply food for thought for the time being as we await the fated hour.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Which is honestly the opposite of what you want to do with DLC since you have to convince people that they actually want to pay extra to get it. Even Hero wasn't super wanted in the West but they still bothered to add VIII as an ALT to cater to Western DQ fans and furthermore added the three most popular to satisfy everyone else. Yes, Hero was kind of niche pick but not really when you begin to dissect it. He was definitely a fan pick but with more steps added then your conventional character, kind of like Bowser Jr and Koopalings.

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice
Decided to organize a list of interesting things that have happened over the past few years regarding our boy. Sure, some could mean nothing. But as a combined list, this looks like more than mere coincidence to me. I’m probably even forgetting/missing some things.

View attachment 233080
Very late reply to this, I know, but can anyone give me proof for the following?

- NoA source who hasn't got anything wrong say Geno is "probably coming"

- HQ Trivia Geno question

I know about everything else but those 2 are something I never heard about.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Very late reply to this, I know, but can anyone give me proof for the following?

- NoA source who hasn't got anything wrong say Geno is "probably coming"

- HQ Trivia Geno question

I know about everything else but those 2 are something I never heard about.
The NoA thing came from Sabi back when she used to post here regularly. The HQ Trivia thing happened either the day of or day before the VGAs.

https://hqbuff.com/us/game/2018-12-06/3

In which of these games was one of the main characters a possessed doll?
  • Super Mario RPG
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Kirby’s Dream Course
And the host straight up namedropped Geno after the answer was given

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom