• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

The second one is based off Mallow, the rest where just random and mixing colors together to see what worked. Didn't realize it until someone on the PapaGenos Discord pointed it out but I should've done one on Boshi :facepalm:
Nice! Sorry for the odd reply I gave you. Lol

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I would be hyped as hell for Porky, Geno, Crash, Rayman, and Sylux

Edit: What other Mario RPG character would you guys like to see get in besides Geno? Personally, I would love to see Paper Mario get in after our star boi.
If I honestly had to pick another Mario RPG character besides Geno to be in these games.

I would probably go with Rawk Hawk or Boshi. Neither of them are extremely significant aside from the specific part of the game they are featured in, but man are they cool.

Geno is all I want though.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Edit: What other Mario RPG character would you guys like to see get in besides Geno? Personally, I would love to see Paper Mario get in after our star boi.

The entire reason I even came to this thread in the first place :yoshi:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

Paper Mario and Fawful are who i think about when it comes to other Mario RPG characters when it comes to smash, but i also like to see Antasma in as well.

There is even a fan made brawl mock up of antasma that looks wonderful https://peardian.tumblr.com/tagged/Antasma

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That's interesting, I wonder why the theme in the Mallow thread is down. I wonder if it was copyright claimed

There is no way that would make it into smash

Edit: A test animation of mallow attacking

Cymble.gif

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Oh yeah, The Area 51 raid starts today. Let's hope those gifted Naruto runners bust Geno out from the clutches of the US government. He is kind of an alien when you think about it.

Geno comes from the stars and he is a star in his true form so Geno is an alien who is trapped in Area 51.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Completely random but if Geno is in, and we get Fight Against Smithy, I truly hope it is not a remix. Perhaps an unpopular opinion but I find most of the Ultimate remixes to be really lackluster. The remixes are pretty much the original tracks but on crack. Faster and more "upbeat". I know it is a fighting game but I love how Brawl and even Smash 4 had variety in terms of remixes. Plus, Super Mario RPG music is already somewhat upbeat (varies from track to track), so... Please don't ruin the music, Nintendo.

I am also wondering what kind of playstyle Geno would, or will have. I am thinking something like a zoner or bait and punish. I hope he has combos regardless, please don't be another Isabelle (as in, please have a cohesive kit, not a jumble mess of things that might be fun but don't mesh well together).

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Well, today all cut characters will have their amiibos available. And according to the amiibo theory, that means the new fighters Banjo-Kazooie should be available to download soon.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Well, today all cut characters will have their amiibos available. And according to the amiibo theory, that means the new fighters Banjo-Kazooie should be available to download soon.
We will miss you, Amiibo theory.

D

Deleted member

Completely random but if Geno is in, and we get Fight Against Smithy, I truly hope it is not a remix. Perhaps an unpopular opinion but I find most of the Ultimate remixes to be really lackluster. The remixes are pretty much the original tracks but on crack. Faster and more "upbeat". I know it is a fighting game but I love how Brawl and even Smash 4 had variety in terms of remixes. Plus, Super Mario RPG music is already somewhat upbeat (varies from track to track), so... Please don't ruin the music, Nintendo.

I am also wondering what kind of playstyle Geno would, or will have. I am thinking something like a zoner or bait and punish. I hope he has combos regardless, please don't be another Isabelle (as in, please have a cohesive kit, not a jumble mess of things that might be fun but don't mesh well together).
Hey, I'm not thrilled that Isabelle made it in either, but her kit is plenty cohesive. It's all about setting up traps and forcing your opponent into them. It's actually very fun to watch.

But to quell your fears, I don't think Geno will have Lloyd Rocket in any form.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Technically still not wrong. This one just had a bigger time gap. Next wave is set for Nov 15, so taking the 2 week gap, Terry will be available sometime between Nov 1 to Nov 29.
True but now that we definitively know that Terry is going to be in November and Banjo & Kazooie released 15 days earlier than the Amiibos, It's quite dead right now.

Firox

Smash Master
Hey all, first time posting in this thread! Been watching it for a few months now. Anyway, I make alternate costumes and amiibo cards and recently I made alternate costumes for the Geno render by Nibroc-Rock. Still learning how to use Photoshop so they're not that professional but I think they look fine. Hopefully Geno makes it in as DLC!

I'll take the red one.

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
Hey all, first time posting in this thread! Been watching it for a few months now. Anyway, I make alternate costumes and amiibo cards and recently I made alternate costumes for the Geno render by Nibroc-Rock. Still learning how to use Photoshop so they're not that professional but I think they look fine. Hopefully Geno makes it in as DLC!

I'd definitely play the purple one, and occasionally the yellow one.

D

Deleted member

I really hope that Geno's alternate costumes are his cape upgrades throughout the game. The official render of the Sailor Cape is my jam.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
If Geno ended up with alts like that, I'd want to take (points) that one.

"But Oval, which one are you talking about?"

Yes.

---

Anyway, I have to say, it's a really exciting time to be a Geno fan. I really do think that the worst case scenario, a straight port of the Mii costume from Sm4sh, is behind us. I feel like if we get Geno representation, it's going to be either Geno as an upgraded costume that looks like him + music or a fighter. I'd say I'm 60/40 on him being a fighter vs. the costume treatment, and honestly... I'm fine with either. If Geno got an upgraded costume, at least I can customize him and his voice and his moves to look like Geno and somewhat feel like him. I'd at least feel like I'm playing my boy and not a cheap bootleg of him. Of course, I'd PREFER the full fighter treatment, but I'd take that, too.

Honestly, if they're going to go that far, though, I think they'd just make him a full fighter. I'm not sure, but either way, I think our worst case scenario is an acceptable one, with the next step up being the best case scenario. I'm feeling pretty good about the possibilities, even the worst of the two.

D

Deleted member

If Geno ended up with alts like that, I'd want to take (points) that one.

"But Oval, which one are you talking about?"

Yes.

---

Anyway, I have to say, it's a really exciting time to be a Geno fan. I really do think that the worst case scenario, a straight port of the Mii costume from Sm4sh, is behind us. I feel like if we get Geno representation, it's going to be either Geno as an upgraded costume that looks like him + music or a fighter. I'd say I'm 60/40 on him being a fighter vs. the costume treatment, and honestly... I'm fine with either. If Geno got an upgraded costume, at least I can customize him and his voice and his moves to look like Geno and somewhat feel like him. I'd at least feel like I'm playing my boy and not a cheap bootleg of him. Of course, I'd PREFER the full fighter treatment, but I'd take that, too.

Honestly, if they're going to go that far, though, I think they'd just make him a full fighter. I'm not sure, but either way, I think our worst case scenario is an acceptable one, with the next step up being the best case scenario. I'm feeling pretty good about the possibilities, even the worst of the two.
to be honest I don't think I could handle the Mii costume again. I would probably quit Ultimate out of disgust.

It's cool when it's a character who never stood a chance. It's insulting when it's a character even the creator of the game wanted to put in at least at one point, who consistently does well on fan polls. Besides that, Mii Gunner is not fun to play. At all. No matter how you dress them up, they just aren't.

Firox

Smash Master
to be honest I don't think I could handle the Mii costume again. I would probably quit Ultimate out of disgust.

It's cool when it's a character who never stood a chance. It's insulting when it's a character even the creator of the game wanted to put in at least at one point, who consistently does well on fan polls. Besides that, Mii Gunner is not fun to play. At all. No matter how you dress them up, they just aren't.
Yeah, the way they've treated Isaac was bad enough, but for Geno to do so well in the polls and for Sak to personally advocate him only to leave him relegated to a mere skin feels like a pretty solid slap in the face. Fortunately, Geno's chances of becoming a fighter have never been so good. Just about all obstacles have been broken and I really don't feel there are that many more notable video game characters out there to compete with, especially when it comes to exposure in the smash poll. It's Geno or bust, baby!

D

Deleted member

Yeah, the way they've treated Isaac was bad enough, but for Geno to do so well in the polls and for Sak to personally advocate him only to leave him relegated to a mere skin feels like a pretty solid slap in the face. Fortunately, Geno's chances of becoming a fighter have never been so good. Just about all obstacles have been broken and I really don't feel there are that many more notable video game characters out there to compete with, especially when it comes to exposure in the smash poll. It's Geno or bust, baby!
I'm more confident in Geno's chances at full fledged fighter than I have been since the game launched, but man... I know exactly where big expectations can get you.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
If the grinch leak roster is the level of psychological manipulation it takes to get me genuinely upset about a smash thing then I'm fairly confident that a straight costume port no questions asked or answered is the only scenario I would actually be genuinely bothered by. And frankly I don't believe that's possible anymore.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
You know it's got me thinking, I've figured out and discussed here how exactly the grinch leak roster managed to put me in that "this game feels perfect, I no longer feel any desire for any additional content so absolutely anything they end up adding would feel hype and icing on the cake" mindset but I just don't know how that could be recreated. Adding geno, or even issac too would make me really happy but not in that way, even just porting the grinch roster now wouldn't I think. Maybe it was seeing it all at once while still in that almost childlike excitement and wonder the entirely fan focused reveals in August put me in but I don't know for sure. Besides loathing all the pointless waiting I really hope they do a big reveal for at least everyone they are currently working on if not the whole next passes worth. I haven't felt that way about anything for decades and it would be nice to experience it again.

D

Deleted member

You know it's got me thinking, I've figured out and discussed here how exactly the grinch leak roster managed to put me in that "this game feels perfect, I no longer feel any desire for any additional content so absolutely anything they end up adding would feel hype and icing on the cake" mindset but I just don't know how that could be recreated. Adding geno, or even issac too would make me really happy but not in that way, even just porting the grinch roster now wouldn't I think. Maybe it was seeing it all at once while still in that almost childlike excitement and wonder the entirely fan focused reveals in August put me in but I don't know for sure. Besides loathing all the pointless waiting I really hope they do a big reveal for at least everyone they are currently working on if not the whole next passes worth. I haven't felt that way about anything for decades and it would be nice to experience it again.
I think what made the Grinch leak feel that way was that, had it been real, it was give or take the pinnacle of "we listened to the fans". None of this "let's attract new audiences" nonsense, not what's shaping up to be 4 anime guys in a bear costume, just pure fan requests and some off the wall picks.

They could add everyone on that as a playable character now and it wouldn't feel the same. We'd have to pay an additional 30-36 dollars on top of the base game price to have popular, fan requested characters that should have been there in the first place, and ignoring the cost, the fact that they threw them in would feel more like "oh yeah sorry we disappointed you with characters virtually designed to be disappointments" rather than going all out on the base roster.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I think what made the Grinch leak feel that way was that, had it been real, it was give or take the pinnacle of "we listened to the fans". None of this "let's attract new audiences" nonsense, not what's shaping up to be 4 anime guys in a bear costume, just pure fan requests and some off the wall picks.

They could add everyone on that as a playable character now and it wouldn't feel the same. We'd have to pay an additional 30-36 dollars on top of the base game price to have popular, fan requested characters that should have been there in the first place, and ignoring the cost, the fact that they threw them in would feel more like "oh yeah sorry we disappointed you with characters virtually designed to be disappointments" rather than going all out on the base roster.
Oh yeah even ignoring all the coincidences that happened around it that made it seem like esrb 2 the whole thing felt perfectly constructed for maximum hype. arguably the three biggest requests not yet locked to an assist. 2 perfect ways to cash in on the echo idea, chorus kids, the poster child of fake leaks since his speculated cut a long time ago now and that perfect brand of weirdness sakurai always nailed before, and a total sakurai pick in Mach rider that perfectly incapsulted the idea behind them, characters I never knew I wanted. Sakurai could have added in realistic ordinary humans from whatever new or trendy thing was out now as dlc for rest of the switches life and I couldn't have cared less.

He could have added fortnite default skin for dlc and I would have just smiled and looked the other way.

Last edited:

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman

Terry is anime?

Also, I don't think it's fair to say they should've been in the game to begin with. The game was bringing back literally every character and had to hit a certain release date. What we got in the base roster was likely all they could manage to make at that time

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
What do you mean there aren't many more notable video game characters out there to compete with? There's an absolute ton of them now that we've fully embraced the third party angle: Sora, Master Chief, Doom Slayer, Jill Valentine, Lara Croft, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Heihachi, Lloyd Irving, Ryu Hayabusa, etc. Like Smash polls are one thing, but recognizable and notable video game characters? Smash could add another 50 fighters and still not cover that insanely wide category.

Except Smash Ultimate was already based around we listened to the fans? I have to keep reinforcing this point, but almost every element of Ultimate was designed around the fans and was not trying to expand into new audiences or anything of the sort. The only additions that maybe didn't fit that idea were Isabelle (an incredibly popular Nintendo character in her own right) and Incineroar (a Pokemon that Sakurai wanted to create and is actually quite popular despite what some people may have you believe). It's also not nearly the pinnacle of listening to the fans as you're trying to position it. Chorus Kids weren't exactly a majorly requested fighter, and Mach Rider is the epitome of niche because Sakurai wanted to. You still wouldn't have satisfied Bandanna Dee fans, Shantae fans, Ashley fans, etc. There's always a scenario where people get left out because the resources for base game are finite and they covered a ton of territory with the limited additions.

Whether you want to believe it or not, there are other people out there than you and those people are worth appealing to every bit as much as you. Nintendo and Sakurai catered to the core fan base like ****ing mad in the base game of Ultimate, so I'm always a little pissed when I see people just constantly bemoaning that they don't always get the preferred treatment of only their characters. The group of vocal online fans that only accounts for a small portion of the Smash fan base and overall consumer base should not dictate literally every part of the game all the time. Smash Ultimate has sold 15 million copies and only 1.8 million voted in the ballot to begin with, so there's still over 13 million people who play Smash who have a voice and can be marketed to as well. And there's all the new people Smash will bring in because, at the end of the day, bringing more people into the community is only a good thing for Smash and expanding its player base will allow it to continue receiving DLC and attention. Yes, the "core Smash bubble" should be listened to at times, and they absolutely have been throughout Ultimate's life cycle already.

I also find it kind of dumb to argue against DLC that pleases people. Every character has fans and those fans are more than happy to pay for the work required to make their character a reality and they work just as fine as DLC additions. Not to mention, plenty of people enjoy these additions and don't see them as disappointments anyway.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Cymble4.gif

Slightly improved Mallow Cymbal. Although I noticed the GIF doesn't do the frames in the proper amount of time for some reason.

Edit: Still just a test. I haven't created the exact sprites yet

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
1568997777352.png

Lloyd may be our fifth. Obviously this could be a number of things (the DOOM composer is working on a secret NDA project, too) but Lloyd would make sense.

Still thinking Geno is part of the bonus guys.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 238982
Lloyd may be our fifth. Obviously this could be a number of things (the DOOM composer is working on a secret NDA project, too) but Lloyd would make sense.

Still thinking Geno is part of the bonus guys.
These people are almost always working on some NDA project, I'd imagine. Scott Menville voices so many characters it makes my head swim, it could be literally anything.

Granted, his costume hasn't returned either, but out of all the Namco characters they could finally decide to add, why another anime swordsman?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
These people are almost always working on some NDA project, I'd imagine. Scott Menville voices so many characters it makes my head swim, it could be literally anything.

Granted, his costume hasn't returned either, but out of all the Namco characters they could finally decide to add, why another anime swordsman?
It could be for something that isn’t Smash OR Tales. Remember when Cristina Vee teased an NDA role, ppl thought it was Shantae in Smash but it turned out to be Fortnite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom