• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Nope Fatman confirmed that Terry is not the bird.
I thought he only confirmed that it wasn't King of Fighters related... I don't even remember what page it was on and I have stuff I need to be doing other than digging up that post.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Wow, they made him JUST Fighting type? This was the perfect opportunity to make another Fighting/Flying type to give Hawlucha a buddy and make another unique Pokemon, but they just dropped it to mono-Fighting? IT'S STILL A BIRD!

Also, it's Galarian Farfetch'd only that can evolve into Sirfetch'd, so this means that as long as they keep to their word, this Pokemon will only stay in Sw/Sh and you will never see it again until they remake Sh/Sw in 2032. Couldn't have it been just a flat-out evolution, had to make it unique to this game so that people will buy it because they need all they can get to increase sales.

And yet people are happy over customization options that other JRPGs have had since the early 2000s, minigames that show off animations that they refuse to use in the overworld and in battle to make the Pokemon follow you and look more alive, and evolutions that will likely never be seen outside of this region.

Yeah, this ain't it chief.

Last edited:

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
Pretty sure Sirfetch'd will evolve from the Farfetch'd we know and love just like Galarian Weezing evolves from regular Koffing.
I think they would have shown Galarian Farfetch'd/Koffing along with their evolutions if this weren't the case.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Wow, they made him JUST Fighting type? This was the perfect opportunity to make another Fighting/Flying type to give Hawlucha a buddy and make another unique Pokemon, but they just dropped it to mono-Fighting? IT'S STILL A BIRD!

Also, it's Galarian Farfetch'd only that can evolve into Sirfetch'd, so this means that as long as they keep to their word, this Pokemon will only stay in Sw/Sh and you will never see it again until they remake Sh/Sw in 2032. Couldn't have it been just a flat-out evolution, had to make it unique to this game so that people will buy it because they need all they can get to increase sales.

And yet people are happy over customization options that other JRPGs have had since the early 2000s, minigames that show off animations that they refuse to use in the overworld and in battle to make the Pokemon follow you and look more alive, and evolutions that will likely never be seen outside of this region.

Well, if you think about it, being pure fighting actually gives him less weaknesses. Just flying, psychic, and fairy. As opposed to those + Ice and electric.

Also being pure fighting gives him resistance to rock, whereas flying/ fighting rock does normal damage.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Maybe the European Starling picture was just the dudes vacation in Europe and decided to take a picture of it. Maybe the guy is secretly into bird watching.

Firox

Smash Master
I've said it before but I'm pretty sure if there's another Smash game after Ultimate, it's gonna cut like 100% of the niche characters people actually love. We'll still have 3 Links and every Fire Emblem lord but only the most commercially relevant third parties will remain. I doubt we'll even keep Mega Man, iconic as he is should be considered.

We get Geno? Ultimate will become every Geno fan's Melee. Really, I think roster size is a huge part of Smash. When 64 came out with 12 characters, we were impressed because we didn't know any better. It's only gotten bigger and bigger, and to think that it'd be made smaller wouldn't resonate with anyone except people who have never played a Smash game.
See, this is exactly why I think Sakurai/Nintendo are going to keep pumping out the DLC. 5 more at the LEAST and I could easily see 10. They probably know as well as we do that releasing another Smash with significant cuts isn't going to sell or resonate half as well as Ultimate. I'm telling you right now, if they add Geno to this game alongside Cloud, B-K, Ridley, Wolf, Greninja, Megaman, K rool, Joker, Sonic, Snake, Mewtwo and all my other favorite characters only to cut them all out in the next game, I'll be the FIRST in line to declare Ultimate the next Melee. I was pissed enough to have my Brawl main, Wolf, cut from Sm4sh. Say what you want, but there's no way in hell I'm moving on without at least Greninja, Wolf, Ridley and/or Cloud (and Geno if he gets in).

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
I get where you’re coming from, but at the same time Geno might not be the best example to use since most here are in some sort of agreement that he’d utilize timed hits.

I’m legitimately curious, since I’m not too familiar with the series: What could Lara bring, as an example?
Lara Croft would most likely be a combination of a lot of other character elements:
Links Bow with the pick up able arrows
Jokers handgun but more of Banjo Kazooie style movement
Rope arrows as a recovery (or tether grab)
Or she could have a weapon swap mechanic using Down Special.
I think if a character from RE got in most of her abilities would feel less unique but Sakurai generally makes all the characters feel fun and individualized.

D

Deleted member

They should put Geno in Pokemon. Grass/Steel.

See, this is exactly why I think Sakurai/Nintendo are going to keep pumping out the DLC. 5 more at the LEAST and I could easily see 10. They probably know as well as we do that releasing another Smash with significant cuts isn't going to sell or resonate half as well as Ultimate. I'm telling you right now, if they add Geno to this game alongside Cloud, B-K, Ridley, Wolf, Greninja, Megaman, K rool, Joker, Sonic, Snake, Mewtwo and all my other favorite characters only to cut them all out in the next game, I'll be the FIRST in line to declare Ultimate the next Melee. I was pissed enough to have my Brawl main, Wolf, cut from Sm4sh. Say what you want, but there's no way in hell I'm moving on without at least Greninja, Wolf, Ridley and/or Cloud (and Geno if he gets in).
Oh man believe me, I was livid when they initially cut Lucas in Smash 4. I have only just started to forgive Ness for the fact they gave him Lucas' moves as customs. Smash 4 really should have been an eye opener to the community and Nintendo just how bad it is when a character gets cut. I get that they can't hold onto the rights to these third party characters forever, so re-releasing the game probably isn't an option past a certain point. I'm basically already on the "this is the next Melee" bus, even without Geno. For sure if they put him in, I'm never leaving this game.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Pretty sure Sirfetch'd will evolve from the Farfetch'd we know and love just like Galarian Weezing evolves from regular Koffing.
I think they would have shown Galarian Farfetch'd/Koffing along with their evolutions if this weren't the case.
The Sw/Sh page says wild Galarian Farfetch'd evolve into Sirfetch'd. Much like Sun/Moon, a Pikachu you trade over will evolve into a normal Raichu, but a Pikachu you catch in Sun/Moon will evolve into Alolan Raichu.

Region-exclusive. Same with Galarian Zizagoon line and Galarian Weezing.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The Sw/Sh page says wild Galarian Farfetch'd evolve into Sirfetch'd. Much like Sun/Moon, a Pikachu you trade over will evolve into a normal Raichu, but a Pikachu you catch in Sun/Moon will evolve into Alolan Raichu.

Region-exclusive. Same with Galarian Zizagoon line and Galarian Weezing.
Yeah, but you can get region exclusives in other games than just Sun and Moon, for example.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Yeah, but you can get region exclusives in other games than just Sun and Moon, for example.
He's trying to say that since sirfetch'd is locked to a regional exclusive form he isn't coming back after swsh for a long time if ever.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The website doesn’t say anything about a Galar form, it just says Farfetch’d that have survived many battles evolve into Sirfetch’d.

I mean, it does say Farfetch’d of the Galar region in the second paragraph, so Sirfetch’d may still be exclusive anyway, just sayin’...

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
He's trying to say that since sirfetch'd is locked to a regional exclusive form he isn't coming back after swsh for a long time if ever.
I don’t think we’ve had enough regional exclusives to really make that call though. Last gen was the first time regional exclusives were a thing so we don’t actually know if/how the ones from Sun/Moon might be present in Gen 8. I don’t really see them never being able to be obtained again.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Speaking of exclusive, he's exclusive to Sword. I wonder if he's getting a shield evolution as well

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Speaking of exclusive, he's exclusive to Sword. I wonder if he's getting a shield evolution as well
Considering Farfetch’d signature characteristic is the leek that he uses as a weapon it makes sense for him to get a sword exclusive but a shield version seems like a stretch. When I saw the exclusive part I assumed another Pokémon that’s never gotten an evo like Lapras would be getting a shield exclusive evolution.

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I don’t think we’ve had enough regional exclusives to really make that call though. Last gen was the first time regional exclusives were a thing so we don’t actually know if/how the ones from Sun/Moon might be present in Gen 8. I don’t really see them never being able to be obtained again.
Time will tell but it wouldn't make any sense to call it regional exclusive if it appears in other regions, if that was the plan I don't see why it wouldn't just be a regular evolution.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Maybe Dunsparce will get an evolution.
I've wanted to see that most of my life but I'll probably feel crushed if it gets the same treatment. I think it's far more likely now that sparse and Pokemon like him will get removed and forgotten then a new form sadly.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
Time will tell but it wouldn't make any sense to call it regional exclusive if it appears in other regions, if that was the plan I don't see why it wouldn't just be a regular evolution.
You could obtain the Alolan forms of pokemon in Kanto in Pokemon Let's Go Eevee and Let's Go Pikachu by trading with an NPC you find that's from Alola. It's possible they could implement something similar in future games where an NPC from the Galar region may trade you a Sirfetch'd for something else.

If it turns out everyone loves Sirfetch'd, it'll make re-appearances. I'm sure they at least somewhat pay attention to that stuff.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Time for the legendary multi-quote:
Nope Fatman confirmed that Terry is not the bird.
I thought he only confirmed that it wasn't King of Fighters related... I don't even remember what page it was on and I have stuff I need to be doing other than digging up that post.
It's not KoF related. We now know what it's for but we can't say until the appropriate time. We've been given strict orders not to say its real meaning and I promise I'll say something if and when I'm given the okay to.
Went back and dug it up. That's what he said, it's not KoF (King of Fighters) related. That's not Terry and that's not Fatal Fury. Not saying I'm right, but I get this vibe from Fatmanonice that he's the kind of guy who can tell you the truth in the same breath as a lie. You don't get to be around insiders without that sort of talent.

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
Time for the legendary multi-quote:

Went back and dug it up. That's what he said, it's not KoF (King of Fighters) related. That's not Terry and that's not Fatal Fury. Not saying I'm right, but I get this vibe from Fatmanonice that he's the kind of guy who can tell you the truth in the same breath as a lie. You don't get to be around insiders without that sort of talent.
I mean, I cannot see a reason why they cannot say the bird's real meaning is Terry if Terry has already been officially revealed as in the game. The fact that it's still being concealed would seem to suggest to me that it is still something that has a reason to be concealed.

D

Deleted member

I mean, I cannot see a reason why they cannot say the bird's real meaning is Terry if Terry has already been officially revealed as in the game. The fact that it's still being concealed would seem to suggest to me that it is still something that has a reason to be concealed.
He claimed that unless the source of his information gives him the OK to reveal it even after it's been officially revealed, he can't even say what it is. I wasn't really "around" for when the Starling first became relevant, but there's a lot of background to it that makes me believe it might be one of those things that could get someone sent up the creek. Back before the game came out there was a common rumor that there might be "leak bait" running around to out who's failing their NDA, and the knowledge of what the Starling meant is probably like that - very easily implicates exactly one person or one group.

At this point it's a realistic situation, I think, that Geno could get in the game and not even have been the Starling and people would believe it meant that, when it was something entirely different.

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
I see. Seems pretty well fair enough. I honestly don't really pay too much attention to that scene as of yet anyway, it's just too vague and it tires me out to see people trot out every single thing that has to do with a bird as potentially being the One True Bird. If something further comes out, then I'll be interested but as of now I just kinda ignore it in terms of speculation.

In speaking of speculation, a group of friends of mine have been doing a silly little game with DLC expectations. It's basically like filling out a 3x3 Bingo card with your preferred or expected characters. And then if you get a line of them, you win! The prize is, uh, absolutely nothing. But we get bored sometimes.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Been busy with Astral Chain for the past few days. Any major updates or same old same old?

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
On the one hand it could be Terry, since Fatmanonice said it wasn't King of Fighters related, which could be viewed as a way to say it is Terry without out right saying it. Very possible.

On the other hand, the Starling photo could be related to the Smash Ultimate DLC announcement ... which The SourceTM told the group that's what it is for ... but didn't provide any more details on why a Starling photo or who the fighter is ... since that would be revealed at a later time. This could also coincide with a sort of "punishment" of the image being shown too early is to not even reveal it's regarding the DLC annoucment ... let along knowing who the fighter is. Granted this is a stretch since we didn't get much confirmation on Terry till it got close ... let alone having any idea who the final one is for the Pass.

Ok Tin foil coming off..

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
The Starling is Sirfetch'd.
Sirfetch'd is pure fighting type.
Sirfetch'd is fighter pass DLC #5.
Screenshot this post you heard it here first folks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

On the one hand it could be Terry, since Fatmanonice said it wasn't King of Fighters related, which could be viewed as a way to say it is Terry without out right saying it. Very possible.

On the other hand, the Starling photo could be related to the Smash Ultimate DLC announcement ... which The SourceTM told the group that's what it is for ... but didn't provide any more details on why a Starling photo or who the fighter is ... since that would be revealed at a later time. This could also coincide with a sort of "punishment" of the image being shown too early is to not even reveal it's regarding the DLC annoucment ... let along knowing who the fighter is. Granted this is a stretch since we didn't get much confirmation on Terry till it got close ... let alone having any idea who the final one is for the Pass.

Ok Tin foil coming off..
The thing about these image hints that I've gathered is that they have extremely specific relevance. I hear that this same guy gave out a blue crab picture to hint about the Zelda remake, when a crab is a beach enemy in the game. The kind of thing that nearly cannot be guessed. There's no way that I can stretch my imagination to think the Starling meant more DLC was coming, especially when fatmanonice came out and said that there had been murmurings of further DLC ("he knew"), while he can't tell us what the Starling meant. I'm not like a bird symbolism expert, but I don't think a Starling has any sort of abstract meaning that could imply more DLC. When compared to the crab, it's a stretch to say the name of the bird is what matters. Or what hunts it, or what it eats, or anything.

Fatmanonice basically told us to disregard the bird because we'll never know the answer, so I've been happy to do just that. He was Terry, "not King of Fighters" is a true lie, Fighter 5 continues to be unknown except to the developers and the upper echelon of insiders like "The Source™"

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Yeah given the timing of the image drop as well everything thats happened over the past few weeks starling=Terry seems to be the most likely scenario. I miss the days were leaks were just text posts dropped in a forum somewhere. No drama, teasing, or insider conspiracy just a simple "Ridley and daisy for e3".

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Just out of curiosity, has any other fanbase other than Smash speculated that the starling could be for a different game? It would be interesting to see how much the bird spread, especially with each nintendo news events not giving the bird closure.

D

Deleted member

Just out of curiosity, has any other fanbase other than Smash speculated that the starling could be for a different game? It would be interesting to see how much the bird spread, especially with each nintendo news events not giving the bird closure.
There's other fanbases? Woah...

It was taken as gospel that it isn't a Pokemon reference so really I think that only leaves Smash in terms of fanbases worth leaking information to.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
You know the Terry trailer was identical to the King of Fighters '94 opening video right
And that Nakoruru (who appeared in the trailer) has never been in a Fatal Fury game, only ever SamSho and KoF

The starling had nothing to do with Terry

D

Deleted member

You know the Terry trailer was identical to the King of Fighters '94 opening video right
And that Nakoruru (who appeared in the trailer) has never been in a Fatal Fury game, only ever SamSho and KoF

The starling had nothing to do with Terry
I'm aware of all of the facts that you put forward, but when it ended up on Terry, it was a Final Fight reference. The game/franchise that Smash Bros is officially collaborating with is Final Fight.

It can be both ways and that's what I've been saying. Also if you want some real tinfoil hat hours, given the pixel art nature of the trailer, it would be pretty easy to throw Nakoruru in there whenever - what if they added her as a jab at the fans that speculated her? I think Nintendo has their finger on the pulse of the fanbase more than we know.

It looks like the smb3 one to me
It was so obvious that I didn't dare to think it was one of my favorite games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom