• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Your reaction if Geno got in Smash but it was to promote the new Super Mario movie Illumination is making which turns out to be an adaptation of Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars?

Personally I would be very interested in seeing that happen and I think if the movie was good it would be one of the best case scenarios as if it does well Nintendo may want to buy the rights to Super Mario RPG.
It'd be fun hearing how Geno ended up as a shill pick from the haters at that point lol.

I don't really want him in a movie because A. I want my missing video game character to be in, you know, a game and B. You'd probably have to give him a voice and that's not something I'm personally ready for yet.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
Your reaction if Geno got in Smash but it was to promote the new Super Mario movie Illumination is making which turns out to be an adaptation of Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars?

Personally I would be very interested in seeing that happen and I think if the movie was good it would be one of the best case scenarios as if it does well Nintendo may want to buy the rights to Super Mario RPG.
I'll be glad Geno is in, but you'd have to threaten my life to convince me to go see a movie by illumination. No thank you good sir.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Yeah it doesn't make sense to lock the most requested characters away as side material and then shuffle in a bunch of random 3rd parties to try and appeal any other demographic than your own. I mean I guess I understand why they might want to but I can't believe it would be more successful then what just giving the people what they want. I can't think of anyone who is a sony or microsoft fanboy who bought both the game and a switch just to play as a character they like in smash bros. Unfortunately the only means of communication in the business consumer relationship is to just either buy or not buy the product offered, and like so many times in the past choosing to skip in protest wouldn't tell Nintendo we want something else they would just think we dont want it at all and would can development entirely. It's just so frustrating that they went out of their way to do the big poll to see what characters people wanted to buy most in ultimate but then just cast it aside after base. I just don't understand and I hope more than anything I'm wrong about their intentions and new dlc is focused again on fan picks no matter who owns them.

here's to that banjo is the future, and not a happy accident.
I mean, I've definitely seen some people who jumped into Smash because x 3rd party character got in. It does indeed work. Probably not enough to jump the sales of the Switch another million, but I believe it does indeed pull more new people than some might think.

We also have to consider, the people who want the fan favorites not yet in (specifically first party) such as Bandana Dee, Skull Kid, Waluigi, etc. have likely bought the game already even if the character they want hasn't gotten in. They might've not bought the DLC, but they at the very least paid 60 bucks to contribute to the sales of the game. And while it would be extremely satisfying and nice to put in those characters to kinda fully round out the Nintendo line up, we also have to consider that Nintendo has definitely worked to please their base already. Ridley, KRool, and Banjo were pretty much the top 3-5 fan request characters in the Nintendo community and they got in. Geno too, who if got in (and he does seem pretty likely currently) would be another character in that range to add to that list. So we're looking at a potential of getting 4 fan centered picks to cover their base. And not just any fan favorites, THE fan favorites.

With this in mind, it makes complete sense for Nintendo to try and expand and appeal to people outside their current demographic when it comes to Smash because they already got their base to buy the game. Throw in some 3rd party that's popular or has strong video game history, fans of those characters that don't care at all for Smash will suddenly pay attention to the game. For some, they'll be interested enough to throw their money and give it a try especially if they already have a Switch. For others, while they might not be that interested in buying, the news of their favorite franchise getting represented is more than enough for them to at the very least look into the game.

Creatively too, more 3rd parties also makes sense. Sakurai himself said it, this really might be the last time we can see this amount of characters interact with each other. But not only characters, this may also be the last time we can see franchises like this crossover. I agree with Eric, while I would love nothing more than to see more 1st party fan favorites get in, I think I would rather have Sakurai seize this once in a lifetime crossover to get more 3rd parties in interacting with each other + the current Nintendo line up. I'm hoping they can do both though, and given how the DLC has no end in sight currently they might be able to with good DLC sales. But in the end if they end up just doing 1 or 2 more fan favorites so they can focus on adding 3rd parties, I think it's an understandable choice

smash puffle

Smash Ace
This is certainly a strange turn of events for Geno. He went from being unlikely after the November Direct to really likely again now... This has been a wild ride for us. I sure hope Geno gets in. Same thing with Mike Jones from StarTropics, who is also pretty likely (at least I think he is).

Bee Card

Smash Ace
This is certainly a strange turn of events for Geno. He went from being unlikely after the November Direct to really likely again now... This has been a wild ride for us. I sure hope Geno gets in. Same thing with Mike Jones from StarTropics, who is also pretty likely (at least I think he is).
Are you sure for Mike Jones ?

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
My money's on Geno and Morrigan for future DLC. I'm sure we'll get at least five more characters, probably 10+ given they'll likely support the game throughout the life of the Switch.

That being said, in the future, how would people play the game if the DLC was download-only? We need to push for a Smash cart that includes the DLC or an expansion chip or something.

D

Deleted member

Tbh I'm willing to put my Money on him being the 5th slot in the fighters pass. (please don't hold me to that)
Me too, but it's just as likely to be an NES "icon" (imo we're out of those, Ryu Hayabusa is a forced icon at this point since most people probably never even played Ninja Gaiden and fewer still can pronounce it) or yet another left field pick that absolutely no one ever asked for. If we can't give them credit for anything else, they successfully made every DLC slot a total, unpredictable mystery.

EDIT: I can already smell it in the air, some argumentative type coming in and giving me the tired argument that just because few people have played the NES Ninja Gaiden doesn't mean they can't want Ryu as a character, to which I ask you in advance to exercise a little reading comprehension and see that I don't think Ryu Hayabusa is a true "icon". If Egoraptor hadn't made that "Awesome" series video like a literal decade ago I doubt anyone would even know his name. Ninja Gaiden entered popular consumption when it became an edgy action game for big boys on the Xbox, and became a way for "real gamers" to remind people that the NES had harder titles than Dark Souls.

My money's on Geno and Morrigan for future DLC. I'm sure we'll get at least five more characters, probably 10+ given they'll likely support the game throughout the life of the Switch.

That being said, in the future, how would people play the game if the DLC was download-only? We need to push for a Smash cart that includes the DLC or an expansion chip or something.
Careful, you're stumbling on the weakness of DLC, digital-only and games as a service, there. Nintendo has made statements about how they don't intend to do "game of the year editions" or anything like that, but they did make the Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome Amiibo expansion an inclusion on physical releases.

We're a pretty intelligent consumer base, though, so I wouldn't doubt that when the day comes that we can't pull the DLC off of an official Nintendo server, we can find it somewhere else. Smash Ultimate will live far longer than Nintendo intends it to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Careful, you're stumbling on the weakness of DLC, digital-only and games as a service, there. Nintendo has made statements about how they don't intend to do "game of the year editions" or anything like that, but they did make the Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome Amiibo expansion an inclusion on physical releases.

We're a pretty intelligent consumer base, though, so I wouldn't doubt that when the day comes that we can't pull the DLC off of an official Nintendo server, we can find it somewhere else. Smash Ultimate will live far longer than Nintendo intends it to.
Doesnt smash do on-disk dlc that unlocks when you pay up? I'm sure in 200X people will have figured out how to crack all those for preservation.

D

Deleted member

Doesnt smash do on-disk dlc that unlocks when you pay up? I'm sure in 200X people will have figured out how to crack all those for preservation.
if that was the case we'd know all the characters already because the original retail version would have had them locked up somewhere on it.

Firox

Smash Master
I'll be glad Geno is in, but you'd have to threaten my life to convince me to go see a movie by illumination. No thank you good sir.
Whenever I think of a Mario Movie by Illumination, I can't help but imagine all the mushroom people running around spouting that minion-style gibberish.

"It a-me, Mario!"
"qoiduco9oyqalskjo3uioeunid!"
"Uh....yeah..."

Ovaltine

Smash Master
if that was the case we'd know all the characters already because the original retail version would have had them locked up somewhere on it.
Not at all, no. They're adding them as they go. You can find Joker's, Hero's, and B-K's files in their entirety in Smash Ultimate's cartridge data. Just because they're on-cart unlock DLC doesn't mean that they all have to be programmed in from jump.

D

Deleted member

Not at all, no. They're adding them as they go. You can find Joker's, Hero's, and B-K's files in their entirety in Smash Ultimate's cartridge data. Just because they're on-cart unlock DLC doesn't mean that they all have to be programmed in from jump.
Like new copies in stores? The DLC can't update the cartridge itself, can it? What do I even know anymore...

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Like new copies in stores? The DLC can't update the cartridge itself, can it? What do I even know anymore...
It can't, but it can update the data on the Switch, and that is something people know how to dump. It is all easy to preserve.

Graizen

Smash Champion
I still support Geno even if my favorite choice for the last pass fighter is Solaire of Astora (very unlikely not many people predicted Terry Bogard). I know more DLC is coming but we don't know how many (hopefully not too many, the roster is massive already). Anyways, Geno would bring some welcomed visual variety to the DLC fighters so far. Sure, we got a joke fighter (Piranha Plant, not Joker) and three anime boys plus Banjo and Kazooie. Visually they are all different , and they are all unique as far as gameplay is concerned, which is great. I am personally fond of Joker's playstyle despite thinking Persona shouldn't be Smash (don't bother calling me a hater - Persona 3 and 4 are awesome games).

But back to Geno, I think we need more cute in Smash. Isabelle and Banjo & Kazooie are not enough (calling Inkling cute feels weird, probably because people love to sexualize the poor thing). The fact Mario RPG is a great game and we would get amazing new music in Smash (if Square doesn't pull the same nonsense they did with the Midgar stage) is merely a bonus. ALSO, the potential for an unique playstyle is there. Since they are fond of DLC fighters having gimmicks, maybe timed hits could be a thing for Geno? How fun and potentially annoying after a while would that be?

I wonder if Terry will have that little bar that stays on the bottom of the screen in KOF games, that allows the use of special moves when charged. That'd be cool. Anyways, I am rambling. I think I am on the supporter's list but if not, put me in, please.

My true favorite choice for the last pass fighter is Agumon, but don't tell anyone - Also, yes, Agumon originated in a game.
Good taste!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey so, you know how two SMRPG songs on YouTube were taken down/blocked on copyright grounds, which is a possible hint toward Geno? And a fan made “Smash” remix of Megalovania taken down before Sans’s Mii Costume was revealed?

Well, looks like Splatoon 2’s Octolings have that hint in their favor too. On Dystify Music’s channel this morning, 3 2 from Splatoon 2’s base game were blocked by Nintendo on copyright grounds (Spicy Calamari Inkantation, Tidal Rush) as well as two songs from Octo Expansion (Nasty Majesty, Fly Octo Fly). “Salty” from Octo Expansion was taken down months prior too.

Starting to think the “music takedowns theory” is starting to hold some weight. please let Xenoblade X’s Uncontrollable be the next to be blocked on copyright cause it’ll mean Elma is in

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It can't, but it can update the data on the Switch, and that is something people know how to dump. It is all easy to preserve.
Oh that's what you were getting at. Since we were talking so much about the cartridge I was maybe a little bit lost.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Hey so, you know how two SMRPG songs on YouTube were taken down/blocked on copyright grounds, which is a possible hint toward Geno? And a fan made “Smash” remix of Megalovania taken down before Sans’s Mii Costume was revealed?

Well, looks like Splatoon 2’s Octolings have that hint in their favor too. On Dystify Music’s channel this morning, 3 songs from Splatoon 2’s base game were blocked by Nintendo on copyright grounds (Spicy Calamari Inkantation, Bomb Rush Blush feat. DJ Octavio, Tidal Rush) as well as two songs from Octo Expansion (Nasty Majesty, Fly Octo Fly). “Salty” from Octo Expansion was taken down months prior too.

Starting to think the “music takedowns theory” is starting to hold some weight. please let Xenoblade X’s Uncontrollable be the next to be blocked on copyright cause it’ll mean Elma is in
Nintendo taking down songs that actually belong to them is par for the course. The reason why the Geno takedowns are interesting is because just like the Banjo and Megalovania remixes, Nintendo doesn't own SMRPG's soundtrack.

Ovaltine

Smash Master

Well, looks like Splatoon 2’s Octolings have that hint in their favor too. On Dystify Music’s channel this morning, 3 songs from Splatoon 2’s base game were blocked by Nintendo on copyright grounds (Spicy Calamari Inkantation, Bomb Rush Blush feat. DJ Octavio, Tidal Rush) as well as two songs from Octo Expansion (Nasty Majesty, Fly Octo Fly). “Salty” from Octo Expansion was taken down months prior too.

Honestly, the difference here is that these are first party tunes, and Nintendo would easily take that down on their own anyway. SMRPG music being taken down by Nintendo, as well as Megalovania and B-K music, is what's odd because that music doesn't belong to them. (SMRPG's music is owned by Yoko and Squeenix, NOT Nintendo, with the only exceptions being music derivative of prior Mario themes.)

EDIT: wooop :ultgreninja: 'd

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Nintendo taking down songs that actually belong to them is par for the course. The reason why the Geno takedowns are interesting is because just like the Banjo and Megalovania remixes, Nintendo doesn't own SMRPG's soundtrack.
Oh, well that makes some sense.

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

if this theory turns out to be real and there using songs for characters, would this hint at Agent 8/Octoling from the splatoon sequel to become a playable character?

D

Deleted member

if this theory turns out to be real and there using songs for characters, would this hint at Agent 8/Octoling from the splatoon sequel to become a playable character?
Or a Mii costume.

Oh yeah, forgot to share this Geno art I whipped up last night. Probably gonna do Mallow next because the M&L art style is WAY too fun. I still want to do an All-Out Attack graphic for Mallow, too. I haven't forgotten! :drflip:
I see you, Toy Story reference.

D

Deleted member

Could one of the music takedowns before launch or 2 songs during July be a coincidence though?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Could one of music takedown before launch or 2 songs during July be a coincidence though?
What is this referring to? The SMRPG tracks, or something else?

Cause the Splat2n/OE tracks were copyright blocked this very morning. i was totally not listening to fly octo fly every day before then nope nope nope

D

Deleted member

What is this referring to? The SMRPG tracks, or something else?

Cause the Splat2n/OE tracks were copyright blocked this very morning. i was totally not listening to fly octo fly every day before then nope nope nope
SMRPG

D

Deleted member

I just thought about the fact that a Geno amiibo brings it full circle, since amiibos are classified as "toys-to-life" accessories. The only remaining toys-to-life, actually...

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Could one of the music takedowns before launch or 2 songs during July be a coincidence though?
I definitely wouldn't rule it out. Until Megalovania, I was certain that it was just Youtube algorithm being silly, but now, I'm not so sure. I'd still be willing to lean onto it being algorithm-based, but both B-K music and SPECIFICALLY Megalovania being taken down is suspicious, to say the least.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Exactly! Bayonetta and Corrin's data were in Smash 4's files as early as April of 2015 within the first 2 to 3 weeks when the Smash Ballot started. Even though it didn't say it was them, those files later became Bayonetta and Corrin.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
So this is totally random, but I just read an article that said that Ash from Pokemon has FINALLY won a pokemon league tournament in Sun and Moon. I think I speak for us all when I say, it's about freaking time! 22 years and eternal pre-pubescence later, he's finally done it. I guess this gives the long time fans some closure to his story before the Pokemon Company shifts into a totally new one.

D

Deleted member

So this is totally random, but I just read an article that said that Ash from Pokemon has FINALLY won a pokemon league tournament in Sun and Moon. I think I speak for us all when I say, it's about freaking time! 22 years and eternal pre-pubescence later, he's finally done it. I guess this gives the long time fans some closure to his story before the Pokemon Company shifts into a totally new one.
Fans: Ash finally won a league!
Orange Islands and Battle Frontier: Am I a joke to you?!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
What event would be the perfect place to reveal Geno guys? A Nintendo Direct, Smash Direct, VGA, or E3? While Geno isn't certainly a household name, I would go with E3 because you got to have your biggest bombs at E3.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What event would be the perfect place to reveal Geno guys? A Nintendo Direct, Smash Direct, VGA, or E3? While Geno isn't certainly a household name, I would go with E3 because you got to have your biggest bombs at E3.
Perhaps a Smash direct at best since I think Geno is extremely known for Smash specifically.

D

Deleted member

we sort of need to admit that Geno is a relative nobody. Given that Nintendo didn't expect HUGE HYPE around Banjo, I'd say they only included him at E3 because it's big news for what is now a competitor's property to be in Smash. I expect him to be revealed in a Smash direct, but if he's gonna be used to drum up the fact that even spirits might be upgraded to playable, he could be at this year's VGA.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Yoko Shimomura produced the Treasure Trove cove remix. Could she be remixing something else for Smash Bros as well?

With the music take downs for Forest Mushrooms and that Boss music, I think we can safely say that something is happening with Geno as those two songs do relate to him specifically. The scary thing is the wait to see if he'll be a fighter or a mii costume.

D

Deleted member

Yoko Shimomura produced the Treasure Trove cove remix. Could she be remixing something else for Smash Bros as well?

With the music take downs for Forest Mushrooms and that Boss music, I think we can safely say that something is happening with Geno as those two songs do relate to him specifically. The scary thing is the wait to see if he'll be a fighter or a mii costume.
I didn't even pay attention to this fact. BIG stuff.

No way he's a Mii costume.
http://i.imgur.com/092aNLO.jpg
because it always breaks when I try to insert an image...

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

She also arranged music for Smash Bros. Brawl, Smash for Wii U, and other songs in Smash Ultimate (like Tetris Theme A, Magicant/Eight Melodies, and Vega's theme), along with the Mario & Luigi series, the Kingdom Hearts games, and Xenoblade Chronicles. She's a prominent composer in general - her involvement likely doesn't mean anything in regards to Geno's chances.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom