• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I think complete left-field picks besides something like Geno who is pretty close to home run at this point would be:

A Pure Sony Rep (Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper, Kratos, Parappa, Big Daddy, Sack Boy, etc)

A Valve Rep (Heavy, Gordon Freeman, Chell, etc)

An Amalgamation Character (Tetris, Labo, etc)

An Indie Rep (Quote, the Knight, Frisk, Shantae, Freddy Fazbear, etc)

A Retro Rep (Mach Rider, Andy, Excitebiker, Frogger, Q-bert, etc)

and finally...

A Mobile Game Character (Red, Peashooter, Om Nom, etc)

Honestly, those are the only ones I could consider "left field" and that last batch is probably as left field as you can get without going 4th party.

[Edit] Guess I should include Earthworm Jim in here too! Thanks, UberPyro64 UberPyro64 !

[Edit 2] How could I forget Joey Claire from Hiveswap?!

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I think complete left-field picks besides something like Geno who is pretty close to home run at this point would be:

A Pure Sony Rep (Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper, Kratos, Parappa, Big Daddy, Sack Boy, etc)

and finally...

Honestly, those are the only ones I could consider "left field" and that last batch is probably as left field as you can get.
Don't forget an Interpay rep! So like Earthworm Jim for instance.

Of the characters you mentioned. I'd say Gordon has the likeliest chance. Half-Life has a pretty big legacy and was hugely influential.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
I’m not opposed to a sony pick but at the moment I think its very unlikely, given that sony doesnt want to play nice with microsoft or nintendo. I think its more likely for us to get Steve or Master Chief in the next wave.
A valve character would be a next level kind of reveal, fingers crossed it actually happens.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I’m not opposed to a sony pick but at the moment I think its very unlikely, given that sony doesnt want to play nice with microsoft or nintendo. I think its more likely for us to get Steve or Master Chief in the next wave.
A valve character would be a next level kind of reveal, fingers crossed it actually happens.
Well hey, Gabe is up for it and if Nintendo sees value in Valve, it could happen.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
i do see valve, FNAF, or any PC Game character make it in honestly.

Edit: If Valve does get a piece of that smash pie, i hope they give it to Heavy.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
i do see valve, FNAF, or any PC Game character make it in honestly.

Edit: If Valve does get a piece of that smash pie, i hope they give it to Heavy.
Probably. FNaF is almost tyranical in popularity like Undertale is. It wouldn't surprise me if we got some Mii Costumes of the Fazbear gang as surprise picks like Sans was.

Gabe gave his consent to Heavy so if anyone, it'd either be Gordon or Heavy at this point. Lol, Heavy would be a heavy.

Last edited:

NerfOrNothiing

Smash Cadet
odd-picks? i'd really be happy if Phoenix Wright, Sackboy, The Knight (Hollow Knight), Raz, or any Valve character got in. i think everything is a free-for-all right now! :) (haha, they're pretty self-indulgent though..)

Freduardo

Smash Champion
So what are the odds with Mario Kart Tour’s gatcha mechanic that game is how Geno and Mallow finally get into Mario Kart?

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
So what are the odds with Mario Kart Tour’s gatcha mechanic that game is how Geno and Mallow finally get into Mario Kart?
Dear God no...

Also, I totally forgot about Psychonauts! Would they even be eligible for Smash?

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Yeah, the list was just in general speculation, different rules clearly apply for the Fighter's Pass and anything could happen at this point.
Other than Geno (my #1 requested right now) and Rayman (my #2), I want at least one more villain character.

You could introduce new series but as long as we get Geno, I'll be fine. Villains I'd be down with though include:

Heihachi (Tekken)
Fulgore (Killer Instinct)
Nightmare (Soul Caliber)
Sephiroth (Final Fantasy)
Dark Matter (Kirby)
Porky (Earthbound)
Medusa (Kid Icarus)
Buzzwole (Pokemon)
and Sylux (Metroid)

Most of these are just wishful thinking honestly but I feel like the first three would be the most likely imo. Any villains you guys would want?
You and I have so many similar interests Smash-wise. Those are my top 2 most wanted as well. And I'd love to see more villains, but I mainly want Mario villains but I'd love Nightmare, a Kirby villain, Skull Kid, Porky, Sephiroth, Sylux or Hiehachi as well.

I think we all know based on this famous quote by Sakurai tho that either Goose from Untitled Goose Game or Sirfetch'd from Pokemon have the highest chance: "Bird is the word" - Sakurai, all day every day.

In all seriousness though, I really do think a Valve or indie rep would be the kind of surprise pick that'd really set the speculation scene ablaze. And I agree about how a first party assist trophy upgrade would be the best possible way to open up the future DLC as it would take most of the existing fan "rules" and finally cram them into a rocket bound for Planet Numbskull (which is, of course, a fan theory graveyard planet). I still have this feeling about a RE rep idk why and I think I'd actually prefer Phoenix from Capcom because he'd have a more quirky playstyle that I long for in Smash and the RE rep I want (Wesker) will never happen, but I just have had this unrelenting feeling that RE content is imminent.

Plank08

Smash Lord
I gotta be honest, I don’t think Sackboys unlikely cause LBP isn’t what it once was, because the games got supported until 2017 and LBP 3 got players choice, I’m mostly concerned cause of Sony themselves and how stingy they are.

D

Deleted member

Time to lay low for a bit. Terry news will be exciting, and Luigi’s Mansion 3 and Pokemon Sword and Shield are on the way.

I’m stolked but hopefully we get news soon.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Probably. FNaF is almost tyranical in popularity like Undertale is. It wouldn't surprise me if we got some Mii Costumes of the Fazbear gang as surprise picks like Sans was.

Gabe gave his consent to Heavy so if anyone, it'd either be Gordon or Heavy at this point. Lol, Heavy would be a heavy.
No offense to anyone who likes the games, but is FNAF really that popular anymore? It kinda felt like a fad tbh, and I haven’t heard much of it for like a year or two. I don’t think it had the staying power Undertale does, but maybe I’m not looking in the right places.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
No offense to anyone who likes the games, but is FNAF really that popular anymore? It kinda felt like a fad tbh, and I haven’t heard much of it for like a year or two. I don’t think it had the staying power Undertale does, but maybe I’m not looking in the right places.
FNaF was kind of a fad during the years between 4 and Ultimate Custom Night but I feel like the series is back at a sort of prime thanks to the VR game. That brought back the genuine fear factor the original had and the sequels failed to imitate that initial scare. It's still a pretty recognizable franchise, especially for a horror game. The modern audience would honestly be more likely to point out FNaF when asked about horror games than something like Outlast or Silent Hill, which sucks because Pyramid Head would be an awesome Mii Costume or Assist Trophy.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
That'd be such a horrible freaking monkey's paw. Get outta here, Kongs! King K. Rool knows your location!!

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Geno Cup:

-Star Hill
-Rainbow Road
-Nimbus Land
-Race vs. Giant Smithy challenge

Mallow Cup:

-Nimbus Land
-Star Hill
-Mario Circuit/Cloudtop Cruise
-Jumpboost challenge

Boshi Cup:

-Yo'ster Isle
-Yoshi Circuit
-Bowser's Castle/NEO Bowser City/maybe just Star Hill again...
-Grab item boxes challenge

Smithy Cup:

-Smithy's Factory
-Bowser's Castle
-Let's just grab Star Hill again for the umpteenth time...
-Race vs. Mario and co. challenge

Last edited:

Grumbo

Smash Ace
That'd be such a horrible freaking monkey's paw. Get outta here, Kongs! King K. Rool knows your location!!
I really hope MK9 brings back the kongs (Diddy, Funky, add Cranky, Dixie, K. Rool) and add RPG characters (Fawful, Geno, Mallow, maybe some of the paper mario ones if they could get that to work).
I liked the crossover characters but the broader Mario-verse suffered a bit. (But please add captain falcon).
Hopefully Tour could be a starting point for this, but Im not counting on it

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I really hope MK9 brings back the kongs (Diddy, Funky, add Cranky, Dixie, K. Rool) and add RPG characters (Fawful, Geno, Mallow, maybe some of the paper mario ones if they could get that to work).
I liked the crossover characters but the broader Mario-verse suffered a bit. (But please add captain falcon).
Hopefully Tour could be a starting point for this, but Im not counting on it
I only want Kirby on the dragoon in Mario Kart at some point so I can relive Kirby's Air Ride.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
In regards to other characters people are sleeping on, I think people are sleeping on Travis Touchdown hard.

While I'm not necessarily staunchly for or against his inclusion, I believe *Travis Touchdown* (the main "protagonist" of the No More Heroes franchise) is worth keeping an eye on. Now I have no real attachment to the No More Heroes series (though I am interested to play the games). But I think if more people thought about Travis in relation to Nintendo (and how it is sort of similar to Bayonetta) it seems obvious. He just hasn't been looked at too much because, like Bayonetta, he is a smaller, more mature character.

Travis would be definitely be a chatacter that, like Bayonetta, would spark a heated debate whether or not he deserves to get in or not / why he was "chosen over other characters" / he should have more of a legacy (you get the idea). The reason why I think Travis has a decent enough chance requires a look at his history and the future of the character.

Travis first appeared in No More Heroes. A game originally released exclusively for the Nintendo Wii (later ported to other consoles, but creator still thinks Wii verison is the best). Then a little over two years later, No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle was released exclusively for the Wii (and, to my knowledge, hasn't been ported to anything else). No More Heroes then laid dormant for over half a decade up until recently when Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes released exclusively for the Nintendo Switch. But what does this history lesson have to do with Travis getting into Smash? Well let me get into that now.

No More Heroes is a franchise predominantly associated with Nintendo consoles (though that isn't saying much since the franchise is pretty darn niche). But the creator of No More Heroes, Goichi Suda (commonly goes by Suda51), has recently been trying to push No More Heroes a lot recently. In fact, he really wanted to make No More Heroes 3 (a game every fan of the series wanted to happen), but he had to make the recent spinoff since he didn't have a large enough team nor the funds to make NMH3 happen (which it is). Suda51 is now hoping Travis Strikes Again will get decent enough sales to get the greenlight on NMH3. Suda51 also wants to port the first two NMH games to the Switch (or remake them, he isn't sure). Plus, Suda REALLY wants Travis in Smash. He campaigned for it before SSBU released and during the beginning of the Fighters Pass (remember when Kojima wanted Snake in Smash and that's why Sakurai included him). And Suda and Sakurai are friends I'm pretty sure (like him and Kojima), so...

With all that said in done, here is the reason why he may have a chance in Smash. Bayonetta was originally on all other major consoles. But then Platinum Games wanted to make a sequal, but they met development troubles when no one would fund it. That is... no one other than Nintendo. That's why Bayonetta 2 is a Nintendo exclusive. That's why Bayonetta 3 is a Switch exclusive. Bayonetta is now viewed as predominantly a Nintendo character (regardless of your opinion on that view, that's how she's seen now). Nintendo realized, while the character wasn't exactly mainstream (like Fire Emblem, EarthBound, etc.) Bayonetta could be made more relevant just by her inclusion in Super Smash Bros. And helping out a smaller character then, could help them make more bank potentially in the future.

So let's think about this... Travis is arguably more associated with Nintendo than Bayonetta was at the time of her inclusion in Smash, Suda51 wants his niche character to become more recognized, Suda51 needs help funding NMH ports / NMH3, and Suda51 even prefers the NMH games on Nintendo consoles (and already has an exclusive spinoff NMH game on Switch without Nintendo's aid)! Who knows if Nintendo will actually help fund NMH3 like they did with Bayonetta 2, but nevertheless Nintendo realized that getting these niche franchises to be basically their own will only help Nintendo make money. Now, again, you may think I'm just a fanboy for Travis Touchdown. But, again, I've *never* played a No More Heroes game and have little attachment to the character. And while I very much want to play NMH sometime soon (those ports to Switch wouldn't hurt), he isn't exactly my tippity-top top (c'mon Sakurai, you know who would perfect DeeLC). I just try to be objective with my Smash speculation. And I just think this is a logical thing that could happen. Regardless of you or I's opinion on Travis, that's why I think Nintendo may do include him... it would be that much of a surprise that could potentially benefit them more in the future. Because c'mon, no one predicted Bayonetta, and no one predicted Joker. No one is predicting Travis, and regardless of his more vulgar and mature personality (which isn't an issue as shown with Snake and Bayonetta), I think he has a chance. Not saying a lock, but maybe people should keep an eye on Travis more.

But of course, since Nintendo are the kings of left field, they could put in literally anyore for all I know; logical predictions be darned. I'd say Monster Hunter makes so much sense as it's extremely popular and has stuff in Smash now, but it is such an obvious pick that I wonder if Nintendo would even do it for DLC now. At the end of the day, who really knows... these are just all my silly ideas. Regardless, thanks for reading! I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts! (Again, Travis isn't even someone I have a huge connection to. I just have been trying to be objective with my character predictions. For example, I have 0 connection to Ryu Hayabusa but I think he is highly likely to make it in at some point. ...btw Bandana Dee is my most wanted character.)

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Btw, I've been around here a few times and have spoke my peace about how despite my lack of connection to Geno, that I'm rooting for you guys. (So can I be added to the supporters list?)

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I personally think that for more mature characters, Travis and Dante are honestly the two best choices. In my own weird "let's fill all the slots of World of Light," my roster would consist of:

FP#5- Doom Slayer (iconic FPS with the maturity level to rival Bayonetta)

#1- Geno (mainly for the people who have cried out for him for so long and his strong fanbase over these long years)

#2- Tetris (oddball pick from the left field, iconic game on all fronts)

#3- Heihachi (fighting game rep, villain, Bandai Namco rep)

#4- The Knight (indie rep, unique abilities and design would stand out amongst the roster)

#5- Crash Bandicoot (represents an icon of 90s gaming and was a heavy rival to Mario and Sonic back in the day, has made a notable comeback in the present day)

#6- Heavy (PC gaming rep, pretty notable PvP/FPS icon, Valve rep, popular outside the main Smash audience)

#7- Leon Kennedy (Capcom rep, horror game protagonist and iconic to the genre)

#8- Professor Layton (mystery game icon, design surprisingly stands out amongst the roster)

#9- Kratos (Sony Rep, icon of the PlayStation, notable member of the hack-and-slash genre)

#10- Rayman (heavily requested fighter since Smash 4, Ubisoft rep)

Honorable mentions go to Steve, Master Chief, Lloyd Irving, Travis Touchdown, Dante, Phoenix Wright, Bandana Dee, and Shantae.

What would you guys change about this roster? I tried to stay pretty unbiased and spread the lineup amongst a fair margin of people.

[Side note] I tend to gripe about there being too many humans in Smash and yet, here I am listing 6/11 for the DLC, lol

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I personally think that for more mature characters, Travis and Dante are honestly the two best choices. In my own weird "let's fill all the slots of World of Light," my roster would consist of:

FP#5- Doom Slayer (iconic FPS with the maturity level to rival Bayonetta)

#1- Geno (mainly for the people who have cried out for him for so long and his strong fanbase over these long years)

#2- Tetris (oddball pick from the left field, iconic game on all fronts)

#3- Heihachi (fighting game rep, villain, Bandai Namco rep)

#4- The Knight (indie rep, unique abilities and design would stand out amongst the roster)

#5- Crash Bandicoot (represents an icon of 90s gaming and was a heavy rival to Mario and Sonic back in the day, has made a notable comeback in the present day)

#6- Heavy (PC gaming rep, pretty notable PvP/FPS icon, Valve rep, popular outside the main Smash audience)

#7- Leon Kennedy (Capcom rep, horror game protagonist and iconic to the genre)

#8- Professor Layton (mystery game icon, design surprisingly stands out amongst the roster)

#9- Kratos (Sony Rep, icon of the PlayStation, notable member of the hack-and-slash genre)

#10- Rayman (heavily requested fighter since Smash 4, Ubisoft rep)

Honorable mentions go to Steve, Master Chief, Lloyd Irving, Travis Touchdown, Dante, Phoenix Wright, Bandana Dee, and Shantae.

What would you guys change about this roster? I tried to stay pretty unbiased and spread the lineup amongst a fair margin of people.

[Side note] I tend to gripe about there being too many humans in Smash and yet, here I am listing 6/11 for the DLC, lol
I’d swap Tetris for Steve.

Though I unironically would also like Tetris.

L-Block hands out the L’s.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord

By Tetris, I kind of meant a man made out of each of the Tetris blocks. I saw a concept for it that looked awesome and it looked sort of like Game & Watch. It was honestly amazing.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット

I'd probably take Steve over Tetris as well. Really mess with Glitch-EGamer Glitch-EGamer 's picks though. Travis has become an exciting possibility to me despite me having no history with his games. I'd probably take Chell over Heavy, honestly. I love TF2 but it merely spearheaded the Team-Class shooter. Its been outdone by several other series in my eyes.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

A Retro Rep (Mach Rider, Andy, Excitebiker, Frogger, Q-bert, etc)

and finally...

Honestly, those are the only ones I could consider "left field" and that last batch is probably as left field as you can get without going 4th party.

[Edit] Guess I should include Earthworm Jim in here too! Thanks, UberPyro64 UberPyro64 !

[Edit 2] How could I forget Joey Claire from Hiveswap?!
I think we got to the point where there isn't any character that would be completely left field. Sure a pure Sony Rep would definitely be completely left field since Sony has been very secluded and hates cooperation, but after getting Joker and Terry Bogard any character is on the table. I wouldn't be surprise if Strider gets considered, which would be awesome

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Dovahkin would be meme pick of the century but I’d probably end up maining him lol. Sakurai had an interview a few months back saying fourth parties were 100% of the table a couple months ago, so thats essentially impossible during ultimate, though theres always a chance a future director may do it.
He's being slept on big time, we could very well get him!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Me and my shadow.png

I updated the sprite of me and changed the colors, and added an alternate color.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Yeah, the list was just in general speculation, different rules clearly apply for the Fighter's Pass and anything could happen at this point.
Other than Geno (my #1 requested right now) and Rayman (my #2), I want at least one more villain character.

You could introduce new series but as long as we get Geno, I'll be fine. Villains I'd be down with though include:

Heihachi (Tekken)
Fulgore (Killer Instinct)
Nightmare (Soul Caliber)
Sephiroth (Final Fantasy)
Dark Matter (Kirby)
Porky (Earthbound)
Medusa (Kid Icarus)
Buzzwole (Pokemon)
and Sylux (Metroid)

Most of these are just wishful thinking honestly but I feel like the first three would be the most likely imo. Any villains you guys would want?
I feel Porky, Black shadow and Boshi echo should have been in ultimate out of all villains
However there is a villain that I want more than any other villains it’s more of a pipe dream it’s CATS from zero wing the situation is bit strange he is very recognizable but not for kids on the new generation.
CATS have never made an appearance on a Nintendo consoles yet BUT Nintendo have been referencing him multiple times such as in the Arcade bunny game and tomodachi life for example.
CATS originally was made by Toaplan then Toaplan was passed on to Taito and now Square-Enix owns Taito
No one is representing the 2D spaceship shooting games yet so I feel he would be a very interesting choice and the prefect one to represent it also zero wing OST is REALLY good!

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You forgot the biggest of the Sony reps, Crash Bandicoot. He's owned by Sony now. Or, should I say the company that owns Crash is owned by Sony now. Basically the same thing.

TopoftheMorning.png

Top o' the Mornin' to ya!

D

Deleted member

To be honest going back to that brief mention I really want the post-FP DLC to be different from the FP DLC as while it wasn't bad there really was nothing (excluding Banjo) that was appealing to me nor anything interesting and when I say appealing I don't mean that "oh they weren't characters I wanted" I mean that they didn't appeal to me visually or playstyle wise so I really want it to be different (though I expect that it won't).

I'm not saying I want a complete role-reversal of course not but I would like for the selection and choices to go back to the way it was Base Game with a hint of Fan-Favorites/First parties, A hint of big third party characters that should be in the game and a little bit of wacky/weird characters with interesting playstyles (assuming PPlant was meant for base), That was the best selection of characters bar none.

I want something more along those lines instead of what we're getting now if not just a mix of first and third party characters with fan favorites thrown in there. Speculation was also a pain with the Fighters Pass and was more annoying, monotonous and boring than fun personally which is why I want things to be shaken up and be more open to both third and first parties.

Even if Third Parties expand the roster and crossover aspect which I think is simply amazing I think it's fun to have this huge crossover I don't think it should be to the expense of the wide and vary cast of first parties choices still left (if Spirits don't disconfirm) as it's a shame Sakurai and Nintendo decide to ignore what is half of the potential cast of newcomers after the Base Game/PPlant.

Sure most First Parties don't expand the roster but to that end I say so what? We're always going to get more third parties than first parties this DLC (if we do get First Parties) so appealing to people like me and a good chunk of other people within the Nintendo Audience with characters they know isn't a bad thing as the crossover aspect still expands regardless with the other newcomers that aren't first parties.

Just.. I want First Parties yet they aren't going to happen just cause they don't "expand the crossover" even if that's half the potential cast of newcomers which is a shame.

Also Speculation was a pretty big pain post-Base Game so I'll probably A) Stop supporting the DLC cause as I said it isn't for me and B) Drop out of Speculation as it's annoying and monotonous.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Man really when you think about it, Super Mario RPG is the first Mario related title to delve into any sort of lore. The series is known for leaving that sort of thing to imagination; details, that is. But it's a franchise with both plentiful and lovable characters, so you're left to fill in a lot of blanks. SMRPG is so great because it introduced an expansive cast of cool characters, and expanded upon the personalites and tendancies of existing ones. Mario "canon" is ****ing weird. The furthest they've delved into storylines in the mainline series is Super Mario Sunshine, which may have something to do with it being my favorite. (There is an argument for Galaxy, but you really have to look for that game's lore.)

It truly is a blessing that Square was able to pull out this one. It's a damn shame Nimbus Land or its people were never topics of interest ever again, or any of the game's other original characters for that matter. It will always be headcanon to me that Wario is either a descendant of Booster, or that he is Booster who has maniacally dedicated his life to presenting himself in a manner similar to Mario in hopes of winning over Princess Toadstool.

What I really want to get at, though, is that this is what makes Geno so badass. He's the product of Mario's first venture into storytelling. A character that takes many artistic liberties that would no doubt be thrown by the wayside in Mario's current artistic direction. He's the embodiment of something truly unique, both familiar and equally as "out there". Dude is representative of something that will likely never happen again.

D

Deleted member

Geno shouldn’t be in Smash because he would be our first generic anime gunman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom