• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
Yeah, I think if it actually meant something, it would have happened already.
This is what I was saying from the beginning. The clue was so freaking obscure and after a whole month there wasn't anything that even came close to resembling it. At this point, we might as well forget about it. If Geno is part of the next batch of fighters, I doubt that Fatmanonice's source would have that much foresight anyway.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Beat Astral Chain, good game, but probably my least favorite game of the 6 Platinum Games titles I own. I rank Wonderful 101, Transformers Devastation, and Metal Gear Rising siginificantly higher, the Bayonetta games are also fun.

Firox

Smash Master
Beat Astral Chain, good game, but probably my least favorite game of the 6 Platinum Games titles I own. I rank Wonderful 101, Transformers Devastation, and Metal Gear Rising siginificantly higher, the Bayonetta games are also fun.
I was thinking about getting Astral Chain but I'm still kinda on the fence about it. I hear the "dual-body" combat is pretty cool, but what's your take on it? Without giving any spoilers, what did you think was good and bad about the game?

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I think if it actually meant something, it would have happened already.
The problem is that it could have (and likely has) already happened and we'll just never know due to the nature of the leak and the leaker. Until someone outright tells me in as many words that "it wasn't Terry", I'm going to say it was Terry.

domriver

Smash Lord
Guys a little off topic but it may be not.
I went to the Porky thread and i saw someone post that Reggie will be at the VGA 2019. Supposedly he will reveal DLC #5. Not sure how true this is - i searched on google could not find an official source - did find a youtube mentioning it. But i suppose something we can talk about.
For me I think it would be great for Reggie to come back for a surprise announcement however I don't believe it will be DLC #5. It may very well SMASH but I don't think DLC # 5. I think when Sakurai showcases Terry Boguard we may already know who DLC #5 is because its already been confirmed more DLC is on the way so its not like anticipating a final DLC. We might know who #5 is in October show case maybe Early Nov. Do not forget they are somewhat ahead of schedule. I think we will get all 5 possibly before the end of the year. In the new Year they will have a another DLC character ready in Feb (maybe). I can see Reggie announcing that but not DLC #5. Discuss. ;P

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Guys a little off topic but it may be not.
I went to the Porky thread and i saw someone post that Reggie will be at the VGA 2019. Supposedly he will reveal DLC #5. Not sure how true this is - i searched on google could not find an official source - did find a youtube mentioning it. But i suppose something we can talk about.
For me I think it would be great for Reggie to come back for a surprise announcement however I don't believe it will be DLC #5. It may very well SMASH but I don't think DLC # 5. I think when Sakurai showcases Terry Boguard we may already know who DLC #5 is because its already been confirmed more DLC is on the way so its not like anticipating a final DLC. We might know who #5 is in October show case maybe Early Nov. Do not forget they are somewhat ahead of schedule. I think we will get all 5 possibly before the end of the year. In the new Year they will have a another DLC character ready in Feb (maybe). I can see Reggie announcing that but not DLC #5. Discuss. ;P
I know Reggie tweeted in response to the announcement of the VGA this year asking if he could still come. I don't think it would be impossible for Nintendo to use him essentially as an advertisement - he has a storied history with Geoff Keighley, to boot.

If he shows up at the VGA there's definitely a certain character he's talked about Nintendo knowing people want in Smash...

D0ct0r

Smash Cadet
As much as I want Geno in, I've always doubted he would be in the Pass but I thought he could be in as a bonus fighter. Then after the Direct announced were getting SEVERAL of them, I'm really hopeful it will actually happen.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
The problem is that it could have (and likely has) already happened and we'll just never know due to the nature of the leak and the leaker. Until someone outright tells me in as many words that "it wasn't Terry", I'm going to say it was Terry.
It wasn't terry.
Not Pokemon nor FE, etc.. The leak wasn't supposed to be public tho I think, maybe because of the time or smt.
Anyways, I really think is either Starfox, Geno or my sweet boy Starfy...

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
But we WERE already told that it wasn't Terry. Fatman knows what it is, but he's not telling until he has express permission to do so.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
But we WERE already told that it wasn't Terry. Fatman knows what it is, but he's not telling until he has express permission to do so.
If it was Terry, too, considering that we know he's in and he's coming, why would Fatman be unable to tell us? It'd all be very public knowledge that Nintendo wouldn't disapprove talks of now. It makes no logical sense for it to be Terry if a peep still cannot be said.

D

Deleted member

I already talked about my feelings on the fact that Fatman only told us that it was not KoF, and despite the similarities and confusion from people who may not be fighting game aficionados, Fatal Fury and King of Fighters are separate franchises that both feature Terry (but do not necessarily star Terry). You don't have to believe me that it was Terry, and I could be wrong - but until I get it shoved in my face, I'm not gonna budge on that.

If it was Terry, too, considering that we know he's in and he's coming, why would Fatman be unable to tell us? It'd all be very public knowledge that Nintendo wouldn't disapprove talks of now. It makes no logical sense for it to be Terry if a peep still cannot be said.
I think the following quote is one of two, if not three times that Fatman stated he will not tell us unless the source and affiliates give permission to let it spill on what it was. He clarifies in another post that this includes after whatever it was related to goes public.
Only if it's allowed. Weird thing to say but that's the hardline for it. No negotiating. No clues. No hints. I caused enough trouble sharing it to begin with so it can only be shared if absolutely everyone involved approves it. That's basically the promise made. That said, consider it "classified" because that's what it was originally supposed to be anyways.
As I mentioned before, if this bird was some top level stuff that that he let spill a little too early and now the source (tee em) or their affiliates are gonna be in deep dung if it ever gets out that they let it spill in the form of a picture, I understand not letting anyone know. Right now it's an unsubstantiated rumor associated with a picture, but even after the truth is out, it doesn't undo the act of letting it leak in the first place.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
no serenade is correct all he said was "It's not KoF related." which could be a deflection since officially it was billed as smashXfatal fury, and since he made it explicit clear he wasn't going to say anything about it henceforth no matter what and has been very legal in his responses since that. While it doesn't make much sense there obviously must be an important reason for it or it wouldn't be in place. This isn't even considering we now have conflicting reports on what the group actually know regarding the starling which are unlikely to be fully resolved as psycho seems to to be the only one still posting here and he's already spoken his peace on the matter. the entire thing is just a disgusting overdramatic mess made worse in that it could have been entirely avoided if some certain users had'd pressured him into spilling.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Honestly, in the end, all that I know is that I'm so tired of thinking about or hearing about the starling, and it's nothing we should keep dwelling on. It just doesn't matter for us now. It's time we move on and put our energy into actually supporting Geno and not fretting over a picture leak.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Hmm, it hasn't been confirmed the Starling has been shown off already right? If so, the fact it been this long without it being seen and it's STILL something that has to be kept secret makes me really curious about what the hell it really is.

D0ct0r

Smash Cadet
The music take-downs give me hope, but I'm afraid they're just going to add back his Mii costume with the music like Sans. But the fact that they took down TWO songs seems more likely that he's a fighter? I don't know.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Hmm, it hasn't been confirmed the Starling has been shown off already right? If so, the fact it been this long without it being seen and it's STILL something that has to be kept secret makes me really curious about what the hell it really is.
that's true but it seems like their plan is to try and push it under the rug and have everyone forget so it seems unlikely that there ever going to say what it was or will be no matter what.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Welp. Does this mean that the game isn't worth getting?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The music take-downs give me hope, but I'm afraid they're just going to add back his Mii costume with the music like Sans. But the fact that they took down TWO songs seems more likely that he's a fighter? I don't know.
If and only IF it means something, I'd say a fighter. According to Sakurai, when it came to the budget for DQ, the music was a pretty penny. We don't know how expensive SMRPG's music would be to license, even though it is in part owned by Shimomura-san. I doubt they'd license the music for a 75 cent costume when they can just go for the full fighter and get that much more moolah.

D

Deleted member

Yeah I gotta agree with Ovaltine we need to stop obsessing over the Starling image as it's been a month since it came out(?) maybe even more. It wasn't even supposed to be public and that within itself means there's a high probability that it meant nothing and nothing as come out about it since. It is absolutely nothing worth obsessing over we should put our efforts into supporting Geno and maintaining Geno's popularity.

It's okay if you still want questions and closure with that thing as I have a certain hoax I want closure over (*cough Grinch "leak" *cough*) but we'll likely never find out about what the Starling was nor how that certain hoax came to be so let's just drop it okay?

Anyways it was my Birthday yesterday and lemme just say Three Houses is my first Fire Emblem game and it is fantastic the music is pretty good, The gameplay is entertaining, A good chunk of the characters are neat, Etc. It's an absolutely great game and I'm glad Smash introduced the franchise to me.

Point is Smash has the power to introduce new games and new franchises to people so I hope it can do the same for our boy Geno as they could hypothetically release Super Mario RPG on the SNES online when/if Geno gets in.

Also I'm on this chapter and this one unit cannot stop dying! Dedue more like Dedue not die.

D

Deleted member

I think Sans is the Geno outfit of this game, but in a different way. I believe a Mii costume means one of three different things, and one of them is irrelevant now:

1. The character has no viable moveset, or is simply not the right combination of popular and unique to warrant a full fighter. Sans falls into this category because not only is his boss fight essentially a bullet hell, unless I understand Undertale's lore all wrong his moves don't even really physically manifest.

2. The character is a bit complicated, and due to the nature of Miis as a customizable and somewhat beginner friendly character, a player can enjoy the Mii fighter as the character they enjoy. This only applies to characters who are full fighters as well as a Mii costume.

3. The character is planned to be a fighter but putting them in this game would be a waste, as a brand new Smash title is in development and it will absolutely destroy people's will to play the previous entry. Geno falls into this category.

If and only IF it means something, I'd say a fighter. According to Sakurai, when it came to the budget for DQ, the music was a pretty penny. We don't know how expensive SMRPG's music would be to license, even though it is in part owned by Shimomura-san. I doubt they'd license the music for a 75 cent costume when they can just go for the full fighter and get that much more moolah.
The problem with Dragon Quest music is that Sugiyama owns it. There's probably no video game music more expensive to license, from what I've heard about him. Since to my knowledge Square lets composers keep the rights to their music, and Shimomura already has worked on several Smash titles, getting remixes of her songs probably won't be any more expensive than usual.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Agreed. I think Sans is a special case for a few reasons:

1) Sakurai was negotiating with Toby Fox directly more or less. Sakurai invited him over for dinner, and overall it sounded like it was treated as a collaboration as much as or more than a business move.

2) Megalovania and Undertale’s soundtrack as a whole are very much a part of what made that game so iconic and memorable. Sakurai wanted to give Undertale its due even if it was just short of adding a full character. You can tell a lot of love went into both the costume and in Toby’s remix.

3) On the flip side, Protoman’s theme is fairly iconic to the NES era, and a remix was not attached to his costume in either 4 or Ultimate. Further, there were a number of Megaman 3 remixes already included in Ultimate’s base roster. That’s partially why I’ve been surprised by the lack of SMRPG music inclusions.

I think that upgraded Mii costumes and including tracks are an outcome that could happen for Geno, but at the same time it always feels like we’re one step behind Sakurai with these fan rules. He pretty much can do whatever he wants at this point, and to me that’s a good sign for Geno regardless.

Firox

Smash Master
I'm sorry, but I gotta call BS on the whole "I can't tell anyone until they say I can" thing. I'm betting that the clue was based on some leak bait that never came to pass so they're just sweeping it under the rug. It was a bonus that the clue was so cryptic to begin with so that they could apply it to a wide variety of things. Regardless, I never put much stock in it to begin with. You wanna give me a leak? Then just spell it out instead of throwing around a seemingly random cell phone pic.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
3) On the flip side, Protoman’s theme is fairly iconic to the NES era, and a remix was not attached to his costume in either 4 or Ultimate.
It's awfully slow for Smash

ZelDan

Smash Master
I don't think that's an issue.

1. Not every song in Smash is fast paced.

2. They could always remix it to be faster

3. They could always make mix Protoman's theme with Megaman 3's title screen music if they wanted something faster.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
True, but that’s what remixes are for. They could start the song normally and transition into an uptempo version or even just make it entirely uptempo like they did with Aria of the Soul or Beneath the Mask.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's okay if you still want questions and closure with that thing as I have a certain hoax I want closure over (*cough Grinch "leak" *cough*) but we'll likely never find out about what the Starling was nor how that certain hoax came to be so let's just drop it okay?
I may have mentioned this before, but there's a youtuber (or at least there was) who claims to work for/have worked for Sega that always posts vulgar videos and yells a lot, and I can't remember his name. He made videos with incredibly similar claims to the Grinch leak and even went as far as to post a video where he did everything but outright own up to being the creator of the leak, but then immediately took it and many of his other Smash bros videos down. A lot of people theorize he took them down because they implicated him in breaking the law by defaming that French guy that worked with the advertising studio.

May be the first case of a fake leak being against the law in history, what a legend. This is the same dude who apparently bought somewhere on the order of 50 Rosalina and Luma amiibos just to destroy them, so I believe the speculation that this guy went above and beyond - and possibly dropped cash - to make the Grinch leak and then got in too deep.

It is super weird that the Ken art he used on the banner turned out to be so close to the real deal, though.

EDIT: his name is mariotehplumber. Remembering that he went on the Rosalina destruction spree made me able to find him.

Last edited by a moderator:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I don't think that's an issue.

1. Not every song in Smash is fast paced.
This time, more so than usual, we emphasized the “tension that battle stirs up” more than anything.
2. They could always remix it to be faster
True, but that’s what remixes are for. They could start the song normally and transition into an uptempo version or even just make it entirely uptempo like they did with Aria of the Soul or Beneath the Mask.
This should be a crime. Protoman's theme is supposed to be melancholic. He's an incredibly tragic character
3. They could always make mix Protoman's theme with Megaman 3's title screen music if they wanted something faster.
Then you aren't asking for Protoman's theme anymore.

I just don't really see it fitting

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
This time, more so than usual, we emphasized the “tension that battle stirs up” more than anything.

This should be a crime. Protoman's theme is supposed to be melancholic. He's an incredibly tragic character

Then you aren't asking for Protoman's theme anymore.

I just don't really see it fitting
I've always seen Protoman and his theme song as "cool and mysterious" moreso than "tragic" or "melancholic"

It's been a while since I played a classic Megaman game, but I don't really recall his backstory being that tragic. isn't it basically "Dr. Light truied to finish building/repairing Proto Man but then protoman decided to say "**** it" and leave before Light could finish"

Firox

Smash Master
May be the first case of a fake leak being against the law in history, what a legend. This is the same dude who apparently bought somewhere on the order of 50 Rosalina and Luma amiibos just to destroy them, so I believe the speculation that this guy went above and beyond - and possibly dropped cash - to make the Grinch leak and then got in too deep.
Holy freaking crow! What kind of an A-hole would go so far as to burn their own cash and get themselves implicated in an actual crime just to troll on people?! LOL That's some seriously next level BS. I hope somebody presses charges just to teach that scum a lesson.

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
I know Reggie tweeted in response to the announcement of the VGA this year asking if he could still come. I don't think it would be impossible for Nintendo to use him essentially as an advertisement - he has a storied history with Geoff Keighley, to boot.

If he shows up at the VGA there's definitely a certain character he's talked about Nintendo knowing people want in Smash...
Who would that be?

Nicnac

Smash Ace
I've always seen Protoman and his theme song as "cool and mysterious" moreso than "tragic" or "melancholic"

It's been a while since I played a classic Megaman game, but I don't really recall his backstory being that tragic. isn't it basically "Dr. Light truied to finish building/repairing Proto Man but then protoman decided to say "**** it" and leave before Light could finish"
Proto Man has an energy core that is malfunctioning and will one day kill him. Doctor Light could have fixed it, but Proto Man worried it would change his character, so he fled. Proto Man then wandered the world until he was found by Wily, collapsed and dying. In exchange for boosting Proto Man's lifespan, he was to work for Wily. Cue Mega Man 3 and onwards, but Proto Man's core is still not fixed.

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
I firmly believe Geno is coming. Hoping he is revealed as either challenger pack 5 or as a bonus after character 5.

I rather wait to have him, then not have him, but damnit I'll go insane if I have to wait till the end of the second batch of DLC like 2022 or something. Haha but c'est la vie I guess.

Anyways wanted opinions, do you think they're gonna drop Terry and then reveal character 5 like how they revealed him? Or is it confirmed to be revealed at the Game Awards?

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Is it wrong to not want waluigi? Because out of a lot of fan requests, I feel like he is one of few that is 99% meme.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Proto Man has an energy core that is malfunctioning and will one day kill him. Doctor Light could have fixed it, but Proto Man worried it would change his character, so he fled. Proto Man then wandered the world until he was found by Wily, collapsed and dying. In exchange for boosting Proto Man's lifespan, he was to work for Wily. Cue Mega Man 3 and onwards, but Proto Man's core is still not fixed.
Now that's something i didn't know about Proto Man until now.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Is it wrong to not want waluigi? Because out of a lot of fan requests, I feel like he is one of few that is 99% meme.
From what I've seen, over the course of Smash 4 and Ultimate, Waluigi's demand has gradually tipped from mostly meme-based with a bit of sincerity to largely the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom