• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
Maybe I'm just overly hopeful, but with all the "water cooler" talk about Geno we've learned about in the past, I have a hard time believing Geno isn't on the list Sakurai was given by Nintendo.

"Geno serves a higher authority!" would be ideal tag IMO

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
"Geno Shines Again" will always be my go-to tagline for Geno because it symbolizes his return from his 22 year MIA to the present as a "star" in Smash Bros.

Also, EntropyAtrophy EntropyAtrophy , I keep hearing about these Geno water coolers. What is that all about?

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
"Geno Shines Again" will always be my go-to tagline for Geno because it symbolizes his return from his 22 year MIA to the present as a "star" in Smash Bros.

Also, EntropyAtrophy EntropyAtrophy , I keep hearing about these Geno water coolers. What is that all about?
Back last fall during the whole speculation, rumors, etc. If I recall correctly, was it Fatmanonice Fatmanonice talking about it? Was it Verge? I don't remember and would have to ... sift ... through all the pages to find it. But I do remember that. It could line up with this DLC round. Nintendo probably planned on doing a good bit of DLC so certain fighters would come in eventually.

Of course it could simply mean nothing.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Polar's source from within NOA however has stated that Geno was brought up/potentially rumored a while back. That and the Super Mario RPG music at Nintendo World, so I think that something is up with Geno.
Here's one instance of the Geno and water cooler talk.

T2by4

Smash Lord
>water cooler talk from last year, potential murmurings that could relate to the dlc pass being finalized
>2 music track associated with geno taken down
>no geno mii costume yet
>starling bird hint
>Is the final character missing to fully complete the triforce of never evers

Is it Geno time?

Attachments

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This... this right here Genobros, ladies and gentlemen, gamers from all walks of life, are words that fill my heart with ease. I believe I've said this quite a few pages back (QUITE a few); let us trust in Sakurai. This is it.:shades:

Also Rest in peace to the late Mr. Iwata he was such a good president and while we went through some tough times while he was in leadership (ex. The Wii U era) he was and always will be my favorite Nintendo president.

But yeah, This may be it chief. This really gives me a bit of hope for Geno being additional DLC and speaking of additional DLC I think he's gonna be the closest we get to a first party character in that era of speculation so that's another reason why I want Geno. Let's go Geno.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
This... this right here Genobros, ladies and gentlemen, gamers from all walks of life, are words that fill my heart with ease. I believe I've said this quite a few pages back (QUITE a few); let us trust in Sakurai. This is it.:shades:

Honestly, I can't even think of Geno when it comes to this. All I can think of is how heart-wrenching, yet utterly sweet this all is. Ultimate's not only a game that takes the years of Smash and gives the fans a HUGE love letter, but it's also Sakurai's last game appointed to him by the late Iwata-san. Iwata's spirit is with this game. His is the most ultimate spirit of all, so legendary that even four star legend status isn't enough for him.

Aw, shoot... now I want to cry...

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I can't even think of Geno when it comes to this. All I can think of is how heart-wrenching, yet utterly sweet this all is. Ultimate's not only a game that takes the years of Smash and gives the fans a HUGE love letter, but it's also Sakurai's last game appointed to him by the late Iwata-san. Iwata's spirit is with this game. His is the most ultimate spirit of all, so legendary that even four star legend status isn't enough for him.

Aw, shoot... now I want to cry...
Yeah it really is heart wrenching and heart touching. Iwata for all his faults and all the hard times he's been the head of (ex. Wii U era) he was always smiling through the hard times and always carried that adventurous and fun spirit of Nintendo with him. He is and was what I pictured a Nintendo president would be and I couldn't have asked for a better President despite the rough times.

He was always so fun in presentations and as he said during said presentations: "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." this quote may have been posted so many times but it really boils down his personality really well he cared about Nintendo and Video Games just like us and he truly was the soul of Nintendo.

Not to mention the friendship between Sakurai and Iwata and how from what we could tell they were very close. I'm sure if Iwata saw the success of the Switch and how ambitious and beautiful Smash Ultimate is he would've been proud. I'm really touched that Sakurai did his best and will continue to do his best when it comes to Smash in memoriam of Iwata. It really is beautiful. May his soul rest in peace.

Last edited by a moderator:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
This might give us an edge over Sora...
https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1172310044550914048

Also.. yeah, it feels more and more likely that we are getting third party only
https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1172312241074364416
Umm...what?

Sora is a video game character. He's had manga, yes, but not before Kingdom Hearts existed on PS2.

I HATE that I need to stress this, but...

STOP THINKING SORA ISN'T POSSIBLE!!!

It's not that I expect him or I want you all to temper your hype, but rather that not a single damn thing in existence condemns his chances and yet so many of you are leaping at the opportunity to slam him with some sort of false evidence just like we did with Hero...and look how THAT turned out.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
I don¨t think Sora is impossible. I¨m just saying that this might be the reason WHY Sora hasn¨t been included yet

The Disney connection with him. Especially how people argue if Donald and Goofy should be apart of his Final Smash
That still doesn't make any sense when Sora is a video game character himself and has a full arsenal moveset potential to not include Donald and Goofy or any Disney references at all.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
As far as Geno splash screen tagline ideas, I'll always be partial to "GENO is Finally in Smash!" What can I say, I love self-referential humor.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Really no character is impossible, some might be improbable either due to licensing or moveset potential, but not impossible. We're getting characters that barely anyone thought was possible with the likes of Cloud, Joker, and Terry Bogard and characters from rivals companies like Banjo (though I don't think Sony is going to play ball anytime soon seeing close off they are in the game industry, remember the crossplay fiasco?).
I think that anything is possible now regardless of popularity, relevance, or who's holding the license. With how Smash Bros Ultimate is taking over people have to be crazy not to get on board.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
That still doesn't make any sense when Sora is a video game character himself and has a full arsenal moveset potential to not include Donald and Goofy or any Disney references at all.
Yes, but we all know how Sakurai loves to put the love and soul into the characters. The attention to details he has with every inclusion (especially third party) is agreed to be pretty much spot on. Here¨s where Donald and Goofy come in. Sakurai might feel that Goofy and Donald is so incorporated with Sora¨s character that it would not be true to the character if he got in without them. And since he want the only videogame included... you get the idea. Its either that or Disney demands them to put the Disney aspect in and refuse to budge (I mean, the Sony/Disney deal is just a prime example on that they can be stubborn)

Don¨t get me wrong. If he came alone with no Disney stuff with him (I don¨t want 4th party stuff in Smash at all) I wouldn¨t mind Sora what so ever
But with how big Sora is, these factors could explain why he isn¨t included (yet)

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
Not gonna lie, i think it’d be hilarious if his splash said “GENO FLASHES THE COMPETITION!”

I...actually want that to be it, I’d be laughing so damn hard that I’d probably pass out.

Or maybe I’d pass out cuz I got the character I’ve wanted for over a decade...

D

Deleted member

Yes, but we all know how Sakurai loves to put the love and soul into the characters. The attention to details he has with every inclusion (especially third party) is agreed to be pretty much spot on. Here¨s where Donald and Goofy come in. Sakurai might feel that Goofy and Donald is so incorporated with Sora¨s character that it would not be true to the character if he got in without them. And since he want the only videogame included... you get the idea. Its either that or Disney demands them to put the Disney aspect in and refuse to budge (I mean, the Sony/Disney deal is just a prime example on that they can be stubborn)

Don¨t get me wrong. If he came alone with no Disney stuff with him (I don¨t want 4th party stuff in Smash at all) I wouldn¨t mind Sora what so ever
But with how big Sora is, these factors could explain why he isn¨t included (yet)
There’s Cloud with Chocobo, Tifa, Barret, and Sephiroth missing. They are pretty huge in FF7. If Sakurai can’t get these important characters as a spirit or Final Smash, then he might not worry about Donald and Goofy. Instead, he can get characters like Riku and Aqua.

It’s possible Disney demands Goofy or Donald to be represented and cause difficulty though.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

"GENO GETS RELEASED FROM THE SQUARE DUNGEON!!"

Or is that a little bit too on the nose?

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

Jesus...

FOURTH PARTY DOES NOT EXIST!

THESE VERSIONS OF THE DISNEY CHARACTERS DO NOT EXIST IN OTHER MEDIUMS PRIOR TO THE GAME'S RELEASE!

STOP MAKING UP THINGS THAT DO NOT EXIST!

Sora is a video game character who was first introduced in Kingdom Hearts for the PS2. He is owned by Disney with some honorable mention to Square Enix for creating him. The only barrier to entry is for Nintendo to think of him as possible and for Sakurai to pick him, both of which are well within the realm of possibility. Disney is not an issue. Nomura, who is friends with Sakurai, is not an issue. 'King' Mickey, 'Court Magician' Donald and 'Captain of the Royal Guard' Goofy all originated in Kingdom Hearts. It is entirely possible for Sora to show up with them or without them. It is entirely possible for Sora to show up with small references to Disney stuff or to not. People working for Square Enix saying he's not currently being considered means nothing, both in the sense of easily being falsehoods and that he's actually happening as the 5th DLC fight (Banjo-Kazooie and Grant Kirkhope) as well as being considered for later DLC and thus that statement is moot. Whether or not Disney characters or references come with Sora is based on how Sakurai feels is the best way to adapt him into Smash. Square Enix already getting Hero doesn't mean Sora cannot happen, both as the last Fighter Pass character or later DLC.

And finally, Sora both is and isn't an obstacle for Geno. Sora is simultaneously a giant keyblade-shaped roadblock and a non-issue: on one hand he is one of the few remaining fan-favorite titans Square has left without double-dipping into a franchise already in Smash Ultimate; on the other hand, Geno's demand and his entire situation with Smash casts a giant star-shaped Shadow over Sora.

Choosing Sora over Geno would be the best decision for marketing and casual appeal as well as some hardcore appeal, but would rise the deafening rumbles of those of us who have waited and channeled our beings into this for 13+ years. Choosing Geno over Sora would prove dedication to the Smash fanbase unlike any other character thus far, even above the likes of Ridley and K.Rool even if Geno doesn't get as much of a reaction overall: he's the most obscure of the trifecta, the most currently irrelevant of the trifecta, the least likely to be a future investment of the trifecta, the most niche pocket pick of the trifecta, the most difficult to pull off of the trifecta, and the most difficult to realize due to all these factors and above of the trifecta...yet making Geno happen in spite of all this would truly set the tone of the future of Smash Ultimate.

Choosing both Sora and Geno is not only the best decision, but frankly, should be the only decision. I've never thought of a crazier thing to do for Smash than to have both of these characters make the roster in the same game. It would truly be a symbol of 'Everyone is Here!'

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
GENO FINDS OUT HE HAS A MAILBOX ON EARTH AND FINALLY CHECKS HIS MAIL

Seriously, there was an invite to Melee in there.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
I'm totally fine with Sora but don't really want him before characters like Doomguy or Scorpion just in case if they are not invited yet but Nintendo is willing to in the future for the ultimate.
What I concern most is the possibility of Disney's existence in the smash copyrights text might restrict other franchise's inclusion. I know I'm thinking too much but I just can't get away with this possibility.
Sora should be THE last inclusion to smash ultimate. And I think only Sora can do that role.

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
I'm totally fine with Sora but don't really want him before characters like Doomguy or Scorpion just in case if they are not invited yet but Nintendo is willing to in the future for the ultimate.
What I concern most is the possibility of Disney's existence in the smash copyrights text might restrict other franchise's inclusion. I know I'm thinking too much but I just can't get away with this possibility.
Sora should be THE last inclusion to smash ultimate. And I think only Sora can do that role.
How would Sora restrict other characters from joining, that's not how adding characters works in Smash.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
How who'd Disney restrict other companies joining smash? Disney would be a guest not the owner of the game.

D

Deleted member

Jesus...

FOURTH PARTY DOES NOT EXIST!

THESE VERSIONS OF THE DISNEY CHARACTERS DO NOT EXIST IN OTHER MEDIUMS PRIOR TO THE GAME'S RELEASE!

STOP MAKING UP THINGS THAT DO NOT EXIST!

Sora is a video game character who was first introduced in Kingdom Hearts for the PS2. He is owned by Disney with some honorable mention to Square Enix for creating him. The only barrier to entry is for Nintendo to think of him as possible and for Sakurai to pick him, both of which are well within the realm of possibility. Disney is not an issue. Nomura, who is friends with Sakurai, is not an issue. 'King' Mickey, 'Court Magician' Donald and 'Captain of the Royal Guard' Goofy all originated in Kingdom Hearts. It is entirely possible for Sora to show up with them or without them. It is entirely possible for Sora to show up with small references to Disney stuff or to not. People working for Square Enix saying he's not currently being considered means nothing, both in the sense of easily being falsehoods and that he's actually happening as the 5th DLC fight (Banjo-Kazooie and Grant Kirkhope) as well as being considered for later DLC and thus that statement is moot. Whether or not Disney characters or references come with Sora is based on how Sakurai feels is the best way to adapt him into Smash. Square Enix already getting Hero doesn't mean Sora cannot happen, both as the last Fighter Pass character or later DLC.

And finally, Sora both is and isn't an obstacle for Geno. Sora is simultaneously a giant keyblade-shaped roadblock and a non-issue: on one hand he is one of the few remaining fan-favorite titans Square has left without double-dipping into a franchise already in Smash Ultimate; on the other hand, Geno's demand and his entire situation with Smash casts a giant star-shaped Shadow over Sora.

Choosing Sora over Geno would be the best decision for marketing and casual appeal as well as some hardcore appeal, but would rise the deafening rumbles of those of us who have waited and channeled our beings into this for 13+ years. Choosing Geno over Sora would prove dedication to the Smash fanbase unlike any other character thus far, even above the likes of Ridley and K.Rool even if Geno doesn't get as much of a reaction overall: he's the most obscure of the trifecta, the most currently irrelevant of the trifecta, the least likely to be a future investment of the trifecta, the most niche pocket pick of the trifecta, the most difficult to pull off of the trifecta, and the most difficult to realize due to all these factors and above of the trifecta...yet making Geno happen in spite of all this would truly set the tone of the future of Smash Ultimate.

Choosing both Sora and Geno is not only the best decision, but frankly, should be the only decision. I've never thought of a crazier thing to do for Smash than to have both of these characters make the roster in the same game. It would truly be a symbol of 'Everyone is Here!'
Regardless of whether Sora is an impediment to Geno, we need another anime swordsman like we need a hole in our collective head. What with Terry around, it's a moot point to make but I'll ask it anyway: what would Sakurai see in Sora aside from a way to attract KH fans, who would likely never enjoy Smash because it involves hitting more than one button every fight. What does Sora bring to the table that Hero or Robin hasn't already? Air combos? Bayonetta covers that niche nicely. All he would be is a huge licensing hassle to bring what would basically be another Joker to the game - a character with only spinoffs on Nintendo consoles while the mainline entries stay nearly exclusive to Sony.

QQS

Smash Lord
The splash-art could also be:

“Geno made an Ultimate route” or anything related to Geno’s route.

B3672BA4-A952-45C1-9FAF-C6666D4C0968.png

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Regardless of whether Sora is an impediment to Geno, we need another anime swordsman like we need a hole in our collective head. What with Terry around, it's a moot point to make but I'll ask it anyway: what would Sakurai see in Sora aside from a way to attract KH fans, who would likely never enjoy Smash because it involves hitting more than one button every fight. What does Sora bring to the table that Hero or Robin hasn't already? Air combos? Bayonetta covers that niche nicely. All he would be is a huge licensing hassle to bring what would basically be another Joker to the game - a character with only spinoffs on Nintendo consoles while the mainline entries stay nearly exclusive to Sony.
One of the biggest modern JRPG icons with a hugely passionate fan base and quite possibly the only character that will rival Banjo & Kazooie in the, "BRINGING THE HOUSE DOWN BECAUSE YOU THOUGHT IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE" way. There's a considerable fan base behind Sora that overlaps with the Smash community already when you look at polls (Here's one I like to refer to because they included the top 50 haha: https://i.imgtc.com/9X06jCl.jpg). He's not a no-name character to the fan base, he's one of the front-runners of fan demand these days. So, he's hardly even comparable to Joker in that regard (who did have support for reference).

Sora has lots and lots of abilities that could be used just like Hero had prior to his inclusion (and generally most characters do have lots of things to pull from). Yes, he could be another character that emphasizes air combos in a different way from Bayonetta. It's not like we don't have overlap with characters either (and it's also not like Bayonetta is particularly proficient in air combos post nerfs anyway...), so I don't really see why that's such an issue when we could arguably use more characters built around air game. We also have no clue how difficult the licensing for him would be. We know Disney, Square Enix, and Nintendo are involved... that's it and generally those three companies are on pretty good terms right now... so yeah. Kingdom Hearts didn't have numbered entries on Nintendo consoles, but every entry in Kingdom Hearts in technically a main entry to a certain extent and some games like Dream Drop Distance are actually incredibly important to the series from what I understand (it was big enough to get a big 3D remake on PS4 and sold separately, so yeah...).

As for the anime swordsman, the "Yeah, but we like this one" applies here just like it does for Isaac. People are more than willing to accept more anime swordsmen if they're characters they like, and Sora is probably at the top of that list alongside Isaac at this point.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

Hmm...
Didn't Hero have huge licensing issues too...
1568344774507.png

Also, your lack of Kingdom Hearts knowledge is showing. As a resident expert (unfortunately) let me inform you that every single KH game is canon and part of the main lore. Of those on Nintendo system, the game that explains what happens between KH1 and KH2 was on the Gameboy Advance; the game that explained the story of what ended up being three of the most popular characters in the series was on the Nintendo DS (and is, to date, the only KH game to feature multiplayer in any form); and the game that explains what happened between KH2 and KH3 as far as Sora's story is concerned was on the 3DS. Sure, these games have either been remade or have been re-released/their story explained on other consoles, but they originated on Nintendo consoles.

Let me be the first to tell you that, by technicality, Sora is not an anime swordsman...he's an anime KEYBLADESman. Jokes and anal-lytics aside, this is a very big difference as it puts Sora in a situation more akin to typical JRPG characters rather than Fire Emblem: having physical skills, spells, summons, items, etc.

By the by, saying that a character already in the game offers something and thus another character who offers that is pointless is not a good argument. What if I said the Dante offers nothing Bayonetta already does because of her combo structure and how she already represents the hack-n-slash genre. Not only does the statement mean nothing and hold no weight as we've already seen similar characters come in and offer more, but it's an insult to the speculated character. But, since you INSIST on focusing on what Sora could bring...

Imagine Hero...but with less spells that aren't as powerful and better normals and aerials that offers combo potential similar to Bayonetta. That right there is something already not in Smash: an 'anime swordsman' with spells AND natural flowing combo structure. Would be pretty crazy with just this, honestly.

However, for some more uniqueness, KH2 offers Drive Forms. Were Sora to have Donald and Goofy as a part of his moveset and have Goofy and Donald function somewhat independently from Sora like his games (think Ice Climbers, Konohamaru Ninja Squad from Naruto: Ultimate Ninja 3, or Gargos from Killer Instinct for Xbone), Sora could temporarily sacrifice them to obtain a more powerful form that would change his gameplay. Sacrificing Goofy gives Sora two keyblades, major damage potential/increase, a new combo structure and armor on some moves but locks him out of using Magic. Sacrificing Donald would give him Wisdom Form, which would buff his Magic and cause him to be much more ranged-focused but he would lose his CQC combo structure. Sacrificing both would trigger Master Form which would incorporate Magic into his physical attacks and alter his spells and combo structure but not have him excel in in either range or CQC while also taking more damage. Based off RNG, sacrificing both could trigger Final Form, which would be a much more powerful version of Master Form but would be even more glass canon. Spamming Drive Form increases the chance of triggering Anti-Form which deals little damage, takes heavy damage, and removes both Donald and Goofy. Would also have a cooldown between activations to simulate how it works in KH2 with having to build the Drive Gauge.

For something more recent, KH3 introduced Keyblade transformations. I have no idea how they would incorporate this, but having a transforming weapon would surely offer unique gameplay. They could even incorporate Flow Motion which would give Sora crazy movement options whenever a wall is present that can also be attacks.

This is all off-the-cuff, but I think you get the idea. Sora would be an amazing inclusion and offer much to Smash.

D

Deleted member

One of the biggest modern JRPG icons with a hugely passionate fan base and quite possibly the only character that will rival Banjo & Kazooie in the, "BRINGING THE HOUSE DOWN BECAUSE YOU THOUGHT IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE" way. There's a considerable fan base behind Sora that overlaps with the Smash community already when you look at polls (Here's one I like to refer to because they included the top 50 haha: https://i.imgtc.com/9X06jCl.jpg). He's not a no-name character to the fan base, he's one of the front-runners of fan demand these days. So, he's hardly even comparable to Joker in that regard (who did have support for reference).

Sora has lots and lots of abilities that could be used just like Hero had prior to his inclusion (and generally most characters do have lots of things to pull from). Yes, he could be another character that emphasizes air combos in a different way from Bayonetta. It's not like we don't have overlap with characters either (and it's also not like Bayonetta is particularly proficient in air combos post nerfs anyway...), so I don't really see why that's such an issue when we could arguably use more characters built around air game. We also have no clue how difficult the licensing for him would be. We know Disney, Square Enix, and Nintendo are involved... that's it and generally those three companies are on pretty good terms right now... so yeah. Kingdom Hearts didn't have numbered entries on Nintendo consoles, but every entry in Kingdom Hearts in technically a main entry to a certain extent and some games like Dream Drop Distance are actually incredibly important to the series from what I understand (it was big enough to get a big 3D remake on PS4 and sold separately, so yeah...).

As for the anime swordsman, the "Yeah, but we like this one" applies here just like it does for Isaac. People are more than willing to accept more anime swordsmen if they're characters they like, and Sora is probably at the top of that list alongside Isaac at this point.
With polls like that, I hope Sakurai browses reddit...

Anyway, like I said, since I can see Terry being somewhat like a Mac/Ryu combo, uniqueness doesn't seem to matter to Sakurai much anymore. While the "spinoff" Kingdom Hearts games are just as valid as numbered games, I still feel like when the Playstation gets ports of former Nintendo exclusives while Nintendo doesn't even get the rereleases and anthologies, putting Sora in is just advertising for the competition.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
How who'd Disney restrict other companies joining smash? Disney would be a guest not the owner of the game.
I know Disney can't restrict Nintendo, but Nintendo can restrict themselves.
It's not that rare to Japanese company conjecture something not really in other's mind but do whatever they thought it would be the best anyway to please the others before they get called out for it. Sometimes it works well in the result but sometimes not.
Disney is known for their family friendly manner so making them collaborate through smash with other franchises known for extreme goriness even indirectly can be an issue for a conservative company to be hesitant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom