• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
He also said that Brawl would be the last Smash Bros game. He had said many things that he later goes back on, like his stance on DLC and how it's not that profitable and would be best to make a new game instead.
Hate to be that guy, but he never actually said Brawl would be the last Smash game. He said he was making it AS IF it were the last game, trying to achieve as much as possible.

and I'm trying to tell you there's no proof that they "had no current plan" for a character just because they're a spirit. There's actually no telling what their plans were, or what their logic was for a spirit to be a spirit aside from just giving a nod to a character and making a somewhat interesting spirit battle for a vapid single player experience.
IIRC didn't Sakurai detail Spirits as a way to kinda shout out characters that couldn't be fighters, similar to ATs?

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I would like to agree with that, but there's an issue with it.

Remember that Fire Emblem wasn't a titan back when Nintendo localized Blazing Sword. In the meantime, the series wasn't successful, and Intelligent Systems was ready to pull the plug on localizations if Awakening didn't succeed in sales. And of course, Awakening exceeded expectations and turned the series into the behemoth that it is today.

But of course, Awakening didn't need Smash to be successful (since it released two years prior to 4), and I certainly wouldn't blame it over the GBA and GameCube titles not selling well despite giving Nintendo the incentive to localize the series to begin with.

Point being, Smash is not magical. Investment from companies and fans is required to keep these obscure IPs on the run, and it's not as notable as people make it look like.
Yeah I know that Awakening is what really boosted FE but putting characters from a Nintendo series the US kinda didn't know existed was a big deal. Roy, despite his game never being localized, is a huge thing where even I was pissed at his exclusion because I loved the character that much. Though I will say that's more of a Smash thing than a FE thing.

Regardless, you are right that Smash isn't some holy grail that has companies begging for their characters to be in because it guarantees newfound success no matter what...but it's KINDA like that in the sense that is drums up hype and newfound life into a character and encourages fans that new stuff can happen so they request it.

Does it guarentee anything? No, absolutely not. Does it get the ball rolling faster than not including them? By the gods, yes!

A side character from a single Final Fantasy game makes WAY more sense as a Smash inclusion than the PROTAGONIST of an insanely well-received new IP? Not sure I can agree with that.
Ahem.

I'm sorry, what is Nier Automata?

I didn't even know who 2B was before I heard about her in Smash speculation. Sure, I'd seen gameplay of Nier Automata as it received lots of advertising, but to me it was just the game where weird gothic robo-stuff was happening and it looked cool but I was waiting for the next announcement. I knew about the blindfolded skirt girl, but I didn't know who 2B was until Smash speculation.

Now, show me how many people can say the same about FF7. That's right, a whopping .05%! FF7 is so legendary that people like myself who had never played the game until THIS YEAR know who all the characters are and can put names to faces. Before I touched the legendary game, I knew who Cloud, Sephiroth, Tifa, Barrett, Aeris/Aerith and Yuffie were; I knew about the use of materia and Mako and how it was destroying the planet; I knew about how Sephiroth's fall into madness; I knew about Cloud having emotional issues and his history of being manipulated; I knew Tifa was his love-interest and that she was a badass brawling *****; I knew Barret was also a badass and had a gun arm and an attitude to match; I knew Aeris/Aerith died and was killed by Sephiroth and that it was a massive moment in gaming history.

There are many more things I knew about FF7 and it's characters, and why is that? Because of how big that game is in the gaming sphere and basically now in general history. So forgive me if I feel like Tifa has more clout than 2B...but it's because she does! Also, calling her a side character is not only a disservice, but it's practically an insult. She's a titular character up there with Cloud and Sephiroth with her own set of memes and fan dedication and levels of iconic appeal, but I get what you mean.

In that case, yes, a technical side character from one of the most (if not THE most) well-known and iconic games of all time makes WAAAAY more sense then the protagonist from an existing IP that was brought back with pretty decent success. If you had to choose one or the other, the choice is clear that you would pick Tifa.

But as I said before, 2B is already in SC6 so her chances of being in Smash are already down due to that, and I feel like Tifa would be in Tekken if anything as she fits better there. To add to the Squeenix character chances breakdown here, Sephiroth would be better as an AT since being dedicated to him and keeping him balanced would be difficult. Lara Croft is essentially a shoot-mcgun character, really isn't as popular due to the new takes on her games and if you wanted to do a survival mechanic, as EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman mentioned I believe...Resident Evil is the more iconic choice to fit that style. Crono, Neku, and pretty much any other Squeenix character doesn't have enough relevance or pull to be much of a contender. FF and DQ have their big bois already in the arena, so....

That really only leaves Sora and Geno. I can't see any other Square Enix characters making it in other than them.

osby

Smash Obsessed
This is absurd. Harada isn't salty about Heihachi or whatever and right now he isn't even working on just Tekken (he's now General Manager at Bandai Namco). Smash fans need to realize that not everyone cares about their game the way they do.

It's true that this probably won't have any tangible effect on Smash DLC but some people need to wake up and realize when they're being ****ing annoying. The selfishness of this community really shows itself when Smash fans are more concerned about whether or not something had an adverse effect on their character's chances than they are about acting rude.
You know, I recall someone saying "we have nothing to lose and everything to gain" when talking about character support.

I think it's the general attitude of character supports and it's pretty worrying.

Making other people uncomfortable? Being rude towards them? Failing at basic human decency? Who cares, some people only want their character at Smash, real people be damned.

Harada's tweet should be an eye-opener: A professional adult is genuinely troubled because of fans and they still care only about whether or not this affects their fave's chances.

Not talking about specific groups, but this makes it really hard to be part of this fandom. It might be one of the best times to remember that this is just a video game and admit we don't have any control over it. Nobody should get so emotionally attached to this.

D

Deleted member

IIRC didn't Sakurai detail Spirits as a way to kinda shout out characters that couldn't be fighters, similar to ATs?
Not that I recall. Spirits are mentioned as a way to "enjoy characters other than fighters", and from the "lore" of Smash, where toys fight battles in the world of imagination, they can't return to their physical bodies. The fighters are the ones who did return to their bodies.

From the direct: "all of them, except the fighters are turned into spirits, unable to return to the real world", but at this point, Sakurai was speaking from a lore perspective, so like I said, the end of World of Light shows that the spirits are able to go back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Not that I recall. Spirits are mentioned as a way to "enjoy characters other than fighters", and from the "lore" of Smash, where toys fight battles in the world of imagination, they can't return to their physical bodies. The fighters are the ones who did return to their bodies.

From the direct: "all of them, except the fighters are turned into spirits, unable to return to the real world", but at this point, Sakurai was speaking from a lore perspective, so like I said, the end of World of Light shows that the spirits are able to go back.
I believe Sakurai described Spirits as a form of “role play”, but only offered condolences to ATs and the Rex Mii costume.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I really dont think we gotta worry about Harada all that much. He’s losing his crap over one tagging. This kind of stuff happens to influencers all the time, he better get used to it. I doubt Sakurai cares that much. This stuff has obviously happened to him for years, he probably doesnt even have notifications on. Plus Harada really doesnt have anything to do with Smash even if he’s friends with Sakurai. He’s still salty over Sans and the Heihachi costume still hasnt come back. I think his attitude is pretty d*mning for Tekken as #5 or in wave 2.
And if youre worried about fanbases being attacked, I wouldnt. These kinds of things blow over in a few days constantly in the smash community.
Seeing a lot of ****-flinging at Harada, and I'm gonna need you all to put a little bit more respect on Harada's name here.

This is the man who has made Tekken 7 the multi-year legend that it is and single-handedly came out and said he would save the competitive scene for FighterZ and did exactly that. He did something similar a while back when people on Twitter were being [redacted].

There was this whole thing where Lucky Chloe was revealed and a bunch of idiots spammed Harada talking about how stupid and weeb she was. So Harada got sick of it and responded saying that the American release wouldn't included Lucky Chloe and that we would get our own 'stereotypical American dude' character instead. I remember being pissed about that because Harada said that would happened and then never responded back about it again for a while, so there was this huge period of Tekken fans bashing those idiots for getting content removed over their personal tastes and generally being smelly buttholes instead of human beings.

It didn't happen of course, but it was an amazing troll and it got Harada's point across clear and crystal. This seems like another one of those, and frankly I feel the man hardcore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Seems like forever since I've been in here. An insane amount of stuff has been going on, both in my life and with Operation Starfall. But Geno seems to be looking good! I'm excited to see what the future holds for our starman. :starman:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
This all goes for people being jerks to others as well, either by judging an entire fanbase or because the others want their favorite characters in and the jerks don’t so they gatekeep and fling insults or whatever at people themselves.

Spammers are bad, and rude people are bad; Harada was just for tweeting that, and maybe people who spammed stuff will be calmer with support and remember to respect others, even if the people he responded to kept to themselves and didn’t notice a random guy tagged him and Sakurai. I know rude people are gonna continue with old, debunked, 100%-opinion based, or just plain dumb arguments, however, and insult people, and act like they know everything or are better than others. I probably wouldn’t be taking this all seriously if people weren’t such jerks to each other over a dang videogame and its characters.

You’re all correct. People need to frickin get their acts straight.

Last edited:

Grumbo

Smash Ace
This is absurd. Harada isn't salty about Heihachi or whatever and right now he isn't even working on just Tekken (he's now General Manager at Bandai Namco). Smash fans need to realize that not everyone cares about their game the way they do.

It's true that this probably won't have any tangible effect on Smash DLC but some people need to wake up and realize when they're being ****ing annoying. The selfishness of this community really shows itself when Smash fans are more concerned about whether or not something had an adverse effect on their character's chances than they are about acting rude.
This was from one person who tagged Harada in a thread. Maybe that guy was being an idiot but that doesnt make all those fans rude or entitled.
And I still think that Harada was salty about Undertale in smash. I can’t find the tweet but he said something to the effect of “all you have to do to get your character in smash is to beat sakurai in a match”.

But a significant amount of people are doing it outside of the situation though. That is the problem. Sakurai does care because he literally made a post on Twitter almost a year ago specifically in English asking people to not spam him for requests. Have you considered the fact that Harada may have just said "**** it" and pushed back against the tagging himself because Sakurai is too polite to reiterate his year old request? The whole "He's an influencer so he should just deal with it" mentality is just really ****ty, tone deaf, and entitled.

Per Harada himself: "We listen and value opinions, requests and feedback. However, spam due to a large amount of tagging and replying interferes with normal communication. I always listen to opinions, but spam and tagging are not welcome. It ’s simple. 99.999% of gamers will not be spammers. So the minority will not make the image worse. However, the spammer's voice is sometimes misunderstood as a majority in the internet community, or the voice looks loud. This is a kind of noise and very annoying"
Spam is something that unfortunately comes with being a popular figure. Complaining about it isnt gonna stop people from doing it, often times it just makes it worse. Im not condoning the spammer(s).
And on the subject of his quote, the original tweet threw the fans and characters under the bus. Maybe he didnt intend it like that, but its having that effect.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Seeing a lot of ****-flinging at Harada, and I'm gonna need you all to put a little bit more respect on Harada's name here.

This is the man who has made Tekken 7 the multi-year legend that it is and single-handedly came out and said he would save the competitive scene for FighterZ and did exactly that. He did something similar a while back when people on Twitter were being mentally challenged.

There was this whole thing where Lucky Chloe was revealed and a bunch of idiots spammed Harada talking about how stupid and weeb she was. So Harada got sick of it and responded saying that the American release wouldn't included Lucky Chloe and that we would get our own 'stereotypical American dude' character instead. I remember being pissed about that because Harada said that would happened and then never responded back about it again for a while, so there was this huge period of Tekken fans bashing those idiots for getting content removed over their personal tastes and generally being smelly buttholes instead of human beings.

It didn't happen of course, but it was an amazing troll and it got Harada's point across clear and crystal. This seems like another one of those, and frankly I feel the man hardcore.
While I understand where you’re coming from, i’d advise against using “mentally challenged” as an insult. It’s a real problem for real people and shouldn’t be associated with Twitter spammers.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
That's why they included completely separate trophies for Mewtwo and Lucas in Smash 4, because they had no idea at the time that they were going to be DLC, right? Right...

All of these assumptions are correct until they prove them wrong. Because I believe that their marketing strategy is to be as good TV as possible, I'm sticking by my theory that Fighter 5 is someone who already has a spirit in the game, just to blow speculation up more. Making fans happy is nowhere near as effective as keeping fans guessing, from an advertising standpoint.
Okay here's the thing about the Mewtwo and Lucas trophies, it was very clear that they were making Smash Bros 3DS & Wii U without thinking DLC was going to happen. When selecting the rosters they cut Mewtwo & Lucas and decided to make them trophies instead, which also takes a lot of work just to make. So near the end of development they decided to do DLC and they selected Mewtwo & Lucas, but the trophies were already made so they weren't just going to cut two trophies from the base game since it took a good amount of work to make; they were also not going to use those trophies as their Fighter Trophies because they had to take their Amiibo into consideration before making them. There's also the description of the trophies and how both fighter and nonfighter trophies of Mewtwo & Lucas are completely different and how they had to hire someone to localize write and localize them. This is a fair assumption seeing how Smash Bros 3DS release in September 2014, Mewtwo model was revealed near the end of October and Mewtwo released in April 2015. We had to wait 7 months for the first DLC to release while we had to wait 2 months for Piranha Plant and 4 months for Joker, both of which had trailers while Mewtwo reveal was just an unfinished model. Also I can't find the link but I remember a comment saying that it took 10 months to make a Smash Bros fighter for Smash 4, so comparing the time it took to get Mewtwo and the time it took to get Piranha Plant and Joker shows that Smash Bros Ultimate DLC was planned a head of time when compared to Smash 4.

Spirits on the other hand are simple with them just being a png file and a battle that and be set up quickly. There's a big different between Trophies & Spirits with how much work goes into them, when they were made, and when DLC was decided which affects many things.

osby

Smash Obsessed
And I still think that Harada was salty about Undertale in smash. I can’t find the tweet but he said something to the effect of “all you have to do to get your character in smash is to beat sakurai in a match”.
Proof, please?

You can't just belittle someone like that and expect us to blindly believe you.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If it takes 10 months for each DLC character, and it’s evident that multiple are worked on at once, I feel it’s reasonable that Season 2 characters were decided on and negotiated for starting this year, maybe in early Spring or Summer.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Okay here's the thing about the Mewtwo and Lucas trophies, it was very clear that they were making Smash Bros 3DS & Wii U without thinking DLC was going to happen.
How? The second they drew up the project plan they probably knew they were doing DLC. Think, my guy, they made the game with the intention to be updated.

This is a fair assumption seeing how Smash Bros 3DS release in September 2014, Mewtwo model was revealed near the end of October and Mewtwo released in April 2015. We had to wait 7 months for the first DLC to release while we had to wait 2 months for Piranha Plant and 4 months for Joker, both of which had trailers while Mewtwo reveal was just an unfinished model.
Piranha Plant is not true DLC, it's unfinished base game content that got pushed to DLC and made free for early adopters of the game - a time period that most people are going to buy the game anyway. Bowser Jr. would have been in the same boat if they hadn't pushed so hard on him to get him into the game in Smash 4. I'm not even going to pretend like I know what the development cycle was or is for the DLC of these two games, just that it's more likely than not that they knew good and damn well they were putting Mewtwo and Lucas into the game when they made those trophies.

Conversely, they didn't know, made the trophies, and then did know. There's literally hundreds of people working on these games at a time, so it's likely that every bit of content is being worked on simultaneously. One day you're putting the finishing edge loops on the Lucas trophy on your list of 50 trophies to model, and someone comes in and says "nice work, but he's DLC now" and they keep it either way. Same for spirits, who's to say who got scanned in/vector art made for them and then was decided to be DLC?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/1169516190319828993?s=19
Here’s the tweet. I guess I misunderstood it, my bad.
Edit: He has a very abrasive personality, so thats probably why i percieved him as salty. My mistake
Hideki Kamiya vibes off this guy, I like him.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
I keep seeing people say "only one person tagged him", but you do realize that any subsequent reply to that tweet also tags him, right? That's why he was getting spammed. Part of that is twitter just being a flawed platform, and part of that is other posters just not being considerate.

Harada is completely justified. And to those saying "he should just get used to this", honestly shut up. He's human just like anyone else and he shouldn't have to be subject to a bunch of fanboys not being aware they're tagging him in their posts.

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I sometimes roll my eyes at these kind of BlankorSmash hashtags. Don't get me wrong, there tons of characters I would love to see, and I wanted Ridley and K. Rool for Smash really badly. But the way some people get so into speculation is a little much. It's a video game, not life and death.

And also, lol at people saying Harada is salty since Heihachi's not in. I doubt he cares that much. I'm sure he'd love it but he's already got it made, being in charge in one of the most beloved fighting game series of all time.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
I always have a hard time understanding people with the sort of blunt personality Harada has. Its my bad.

Anyways lets move on to something more positive.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
> “spirits argument”
And here we go again....
wynn728 wynn728 why are we even bringing this back, though? Do we really have any definitive proof that DLC Pass 2 was decided before the game was out? That seems like a big reach, tbh. And if it isn’t a pass, it makes even less sense that these characters would be planned out soooo early on.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Nobody is gonna bother to figure the situation out or who's to blame for what or even how broken twitter's tagging system is so **** it, nobody actually cares and it doesn't matter. All I'm going to say is that the mute button makes Twitter a drastically better experience and you should use it liberally.
aw, man, I thought he had tons of sway and was going to march right into Sakurai's office and tell him to replace every completed DLC character with Heihachi just to spite children on Twitter. Glad someone was realistic about it, really tempered my expectations.
Condescending or not, I don't appreciate the sarcasm right now, bucko.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
wynn728 wynn728 why are we even bringing this back, though? Do we really have any definitive proof that DLC Pass 2 was decided before the game was out? That seems like a big reach, tbh. And if it isn’t a pass, it makes even less sense that these characters would be planned out soooo early on.
I wouldnt say the whole pass is planned out, but I wouldnt be surprised if there was at least been early negotiations. I think the current pass was definitely decided by December though. Edit: I think Capcom probably wants in on the dlc but were too late for pass, and that Bethesda interview from like last summer will probably factor in to wave 2, unless of course Doom Guy is #5. Just a hunch though

Last edited:

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
The Whole Spirits debate again?
My opinion on spirits is like my opinion on most things in smash, if sakurai wants a spirit to become a fighter, he will do it, as long as there are not considerable roadblocks along the way.

While i do fins it odd some spirits weren't added (Porky, Sylux, and Adeleine being the big ones) and despite wanting all 3 of those characters a lot, i wouldn't say they're more or less likely then anyone with spirits of them.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
The Whole Spirits debate again?
My opinion on spirits is like my opinion on most things in smash, if sakurai wants a spirit to become a fighter, he will do it, as long as there are not considerable roadblocks along the way.

While i do fins it odd some spirits weren't added (Porky, Sylux, and Adeleine being the big ones) and despite wanting all 3 of those characters a lot, i wouldn't say they're more or less likely then anyone with spirits of them.
I think those three are all likely for something, though what it is we cant know. Theyre all a little too big to be ignored. My guess is that the spirits will promote future games or remakes. Prime 4 for Sylux, some new kirby game for adeline, and a Earthbound remake or Mother collection for Porky. If they were intended for that and those games dont happen they might get stuck in limbo.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
This thread became a dumpster fire really quickly.

All I have to say about this situation in regards to Geno is this: don't spam the devs and producers behind the game. Understand how Twitter works and be considerate in its usage. Vocalizing support is one thing, but spamming peoples' notifications is another. That's the part that's grating. The hashtag thing, while I feel it doesn't make a difference, is at least harmless if done without tagging peoples' accounts.

Remember, the people behind Smash are just that: they're people like you and me. The Smash fandom has a problem when it comes to human decency, not just to one another, but also to the hands that feed us. Gonna be blunt: It's pretty goddamn sickening.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace

This is the man who has made Tekken 7 the multi-year legend that it is and single-handedly came out and said he would save the competitive scene for FighterZ and did exactly that. He did something similar a while back when people on Twitter were being mentally challenged.

I would encourage you to be wary of how you use the phrase "mentally challenged" especially in a post critiquing the way in which people utilize media. I agree with the rest of your post, but can't condone the use of that specific phrase.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Change discussion back to Geno or something relative. This Harada thing is getting outta hand.

D

Deleted member

I'll own this as my fault. I'm the one who said that Brew has a semblance of legitimacy if we find out there's 10 DLC characters or were 10 planned when Nintendo told us there'd be 5, and that brought Wynn back on how spirits are implicit deconfirms (I'm not adopting "disconfirm" no matter how much people get hot under the collar about it being an actual word because I don't think it means what you think it means, especially not in this context) and Geno's up a creek even further if they had ten characters planned out since June 2018 and still put him in as a spirit.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I think in the end, this was kind of one huge misunderstanding.

I feel like the guy who made that tweet had probably no cinch of an idea of what he was doing. He probably tagged Sakurai and thought “hmm, there’s probably a 1% chance that Sak will see this and add these characters to the game!” Harmless in thought, but the blow up of replies is probably what made it extremely annoying for (possibly) Sakurai and Harada.

I feel bad for him, but this should simply be a learning experience for the community

It’s rare for game developers to lash out on social media like this, so that was also a surprise for the smash community

edit: i was ninja’d by the mod

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
If we're going off of Brew leak who was saying the Sakurai and his team already planned out 10 fighters back in 2018 then the Spirit argument has relevance. If they knew there were going to make more than the first five initial fighters they announce and already know who they were going to use then they wouldn't have turn those characters into Spirits. If what Brew says isn't true and the next wave of DLC was decided in 2019 then yeah the Spirit Argument holds no relevance.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I really like all the alt costumes people are posting for Geno! Especially those Mallow colors look fantastic on Geno for some reason! Allow me to attempt to refocus conversation back on Geno and specifically Geno in Smash (not calling anyone out or trying to ride a high horse or anything as I am super prone to going off topic myself).

We've spent a good bit of time discussing Geno's special moves which are arguably the easiest moves to come up with perhaps with the exception of up special but there are ways to work with that. So let's try talking about a different area of Geno's moveset. What would be cool or make the most sense for Geno's aerial moves in Smash? Maybe if we take the moveset in little pieces at a time like this we could develop a sort of community moveset? I don't know if that would really work with many different opinions and such but it couldn't hurt to try I guess. Well actually knowing how the smash fanbase is...it could hurt but you guys are great so I trust y'all.

D

Deleted member

Whoa some stuff happened yikes. Rregardless I still believe in Geno's chances.

Also am excited for whatever the future DLC is regardless.

Guess we'll know in time.

Firox

Smash Master
We've spent a good bit of time discussing Geno's special moves which are arguably the easiest moves to come up with perhaps with the exception of up special but there are ways to work with that. So let's try talking about a different area of Geno's moveset. What would be cool or make the most sense for Geno's aerial moves in Smash? Maybe if we take the moveset in little pieces at a time like this we could develop a sort of community moveset? I don't know if that would really work with many different opinions and such but it couldn't hurt to try I guess. Well actually knowing how the smash fanbase is...it could hurt but you guys are great so I trust y'all.
I think it's funny how easy it is to come up with Geno's special moves with the glaring exception of his Up B. Reason being is because most Up B's have some element of recovery (ie upward movement) and he never demonstrated any such kind of technique in his own game. The only Up B I could come up with was some kind of rocket punch where he shoots his arm downward similar to Megaman's dair but with the upward blowback of Mii Gunner's Up B. What other ideas have people come up with for his recovery?

As for aerials, I like the idea of his Up air shooting a narrow barrage of finger bullets straight up (think Ivysaur's bullet seed but in the air). As for fair and bair, my head cannon has always imagined Geno having retractable blades in his wrists, This could be used to sexy effect for his normal melee attacks as well as fair and bair. One of the two could be a fast, somewhat weak slash while the other is a slightly slower but much more powerful sweep that could double as a kill move (think Greninja Fair). What do you think?

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Conversely, they didn't know, made the trophies, and then did know. There's literally hundreds of people working on these games at a time, so it's likely that every bit of content is being worked on simultaneously. One day you're putting the finishing edge loops on the Lucas trophy on your list of 50 trophies to model, and someone comes in and says "nice work, but he's DLC now" and they keep it either way. Same for spirits, who's to say who got scanned in/vector art made for them and then was decided to be DLC?
No, what I was saying was that during development Sakurai & his team were unsure if they were going to make DLC for Smash Bros 4 and just made the game without that in mind. Trophies takes a long time to make so they probably had the team start on that early. Near the end of development Nintendo & Sakurai came to a decision that they will make DLC for Smash Bros 4. When deciding they weren't going to be like "Okay, let's put X in the game. What? We already made a trophy, guess they're out of the running."

For Ultimate DLC we know that Sakurai mentioned that DLC was talked about in January 2018, and we know that they were all going to be third party characters so they had to start negotiations early so they can obtain the rights, which takes quite a bit of time to do, and start working on the DLC as soon as they can. So seeing how DLC was decided during development they would know what character they were going to represent, so all the other characters that weren't going to be playable get Spirits instead as a way to represent them. We're 4 for 5 right now of having characters not being Spirits originally, and with a great chance that the fifth fighter is Ryu Hayabusa then that would mean not a single Spirit got upgraded to be part of the Fighters Pass because they planned for it to be like that. Even if they scanned in the art, which takes no time at all seeing how they actually used a fanmade sprite for one of the Spirits that's found on Google Image, they can just put it on the side and have that be used as the Fighter Spirit instead if that character was part of the Fighters Pass. If the next wave of DLC was planned during the development of Ultimate then I will say Spirits are off the table, but if the DLC were planned in 2019 then Spirits have a shot to be upgraded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom