• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
So apparently HMK made a video on how Sora from Kingdom Hearts still has a roster shot, which is apparently enough to get it trending on Twitter (or if there's another reason, I don't know it).

[]/spoiler]

I realize that we're kind of handicapped here with our particular Square character not having the kind of relevance Sora does, but I'd sure like to wake up one day to see #Geno4Smash on my Twitter feed. Not sure how we'd arrive at such a dream scenario, but hopefully some talented or high profile individual out there can eventually put something together like a fan animation or some such project to give us something to spread the love like Sora managed to do today.
I mean this isn't a positive or negative for Geno imo. It does make me wish another creator with a fanbase would do something Geno related. That said Sora has been up there in popularity for the last year or so with each of them edging out the other in various polls and whatnot so I don't see this as a "threat" to Geno's chances. I do obviously think we need to keep being vocal and visible with the support for Geno even in times when things don't look too positively in our favor (not that this counts). But all of that said if Geno is going to be one of the next 5 characters coming after the FP this has likely already been decided. Nintendo at the least has to have already come to a legal agreement regarding who is getting in with the companies that own the bonus DLC characters. It's already October and Terry is coming out next month after having been worked on since July. FP5 whoever they may be is most definitely being worked on, and it's very likely the character after them is as well. So realistically I am not sure Xcharacter4smash hastags are going to do a whole lot. Maybe in terms of a possible third wave of fighters or a future game, but for the second wave? I don't think so.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Do I need to host a Geno reanimated collab where people reanimate the trailer for SMRPG?

Ooo, we should have a Geno Doodle Collab!

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
So no one else should be able to try and make a case for any other characters they like, just because it might interfere with Geno's movement? that's pretty selfish if I'm going to be blunt.

And why are you bringing Arlo into this? Wasn't his thing about the Paper Mario series? he probably wasn't even thinking of Smash.
It isn't anything against Arlo, but as soon as Operation StarFall launched, he made the Remaster Paper Mario video. It wasn't anything malicious but the timing kind of took the wind out of our sails considering a huge goal is Remastering Super Mario RPG. It got upstaged.

It isn't so much a case of no body can like character X, but it does get frustrating seeing Sora fans, yet again, using it to fuel a hate campaign against Geno. It makes it even more infuriating when we have nothing to punch up with. You can't just talk about Mario RPG or Geno out of the blue. Not every post is like this, but it is to the point where it shows most of these guys still despise us and our efforts of wanting Geno to return or be in Smash Bros.

It really angers me.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
I'd be disgusted if they did that. No upgrade, no satisfaction, unless they make him a fighter.

Thinking about it, I don't know if it'd even be worth it for them to upgrade Geno's costume and add him with music. Think about it. For 75c (1.25 if you got it for Wii U and 3DS), we got the costume we got in Sm4sh with no music. BtFM was licensed for the trailer, but that's it. Nothing else. Either it cost too much to license it for actual in-game inclusion, it wasn't worth it for a dying system to include it (which, arguably, holds little water, considering the 3DS was still doing well at the time), or both. So, for a 75c returning costume for Geno WITH upgrades a la Sans, they'd have to license BtFM for in-game inclusion and upgrade the already-existing costume. If we conclude that, given the 3DS was still alive and well, the music was just too pricey to justify inclusion with Geno's costume in 4, why would it be added for his costume in Ultimate? On top of that, would they really go out of their way to upgrade it like Sans' in that case for the same price as before? Sans is a pretty special case because Toby is a humble guy, surely willing to let Sakurai use Sans for a very paltry price. Square Enix is a company, and they're known for charging a nice penny.

I dunno. I feel like they'd profit more from using that dev time and music licensing to make Geno a fighter for five bucks rather than a super special costume. That's just me, though. Nintendo could easily think differently.
Exactly. Why would nintendo liscence music from a company that is stingy with their music just for a standard price mii costume. I still have my faith in the copyright takedowns.

On the topic other square characters, I think the only major possibility is Sora. But with him the the majority or entirety of him is owned by Disney. Negotiations would probably be difficult so I doubt he’ll happen. I really dont like Sora or Kingdom Hearts, so being honest id be upset if he made it in over Geno. If Geno does make it and Sora does later id be disappointed but wouldnt be upset.

Tifa’s one of my favorite final fantasy characters but I really doubt she’d make it. She has Sephiroth, Black Mage, and Terra likely ahead of her for just final fantasy, not to mention all other square properties. It’d be cool if she made it though.

2B I doubt because of Soul Calibur and recency. Crono would be awesome but square unfortunately doesnt care for that series anymore. Lara Croft would make very little sense for smash imo, and there doesnt seem to be that much demand. Others characters such as Bub and Bob or the character from Bravely Default dont seem to have the pull.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
That really makes me wonder, If Nintendo had been legally challenged over SMRPG or any of the other take-downs I wonder what the response be. Obviously in a court they would have to answer for their actions since they clearly don't own any of it. If not it would still be funny to hear them try and justify it without talking about the smash stuff they want to keep a secret.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Golden Sun, Sin and Punishment, and Kid Icarus all received new sequels after their main characters' appearances in Brawl.

None of them have gotten a second new sequel.
What to know the difference between those three, Golden Sun and Sin & Punishment sold terribly while Kid Icarus Uprising was the 10th best selling 3DS title. Reason why there isn't another Kid Icarus Uprising game is because Sakurai & Sora Ltd are busy with Smash Bros and Nintendo tend to keep developers and certain figure heads part of certain series. Sakurai and his team made Kid Icarus what it is now, they can't just give it to another developer to work on.

D

Deleted member

It isn't anything against Arlo, but as soon as Operation StarFall launched, he made the Remaster Paper Mario video. It wasn't anything malicious but the timing kind of took the wind out of our sails considering a huge goal is Remastering Super Mario RPG. It got upstaged.

It isn't so much a case of no body can like character X, but it does get frustrating seeing Sora fans, yet again, using it to fuel a hate campaign against Geno. It makes it even more infuriating when we have nothing to punch up with. You can't just talk about Mario RPG or Geno out of the blue. Not every post is like this, but it is to the point where it shows most of these guys still despise us and our efforts of wanting Geno to return or be in Smash Bros.

It really angers me.
I sympathize with your feelings, but look on the two bright sides:

1. Disney owns Sora, he isn't really a threat to our boy.
2. Sora fans will always have to live with the fact that the Kingdom Hearts fanbase exists.

What to know the difference between those three, Golden Sun and Sin & Punishment sold terribly while Kid Icarus Uprising was the 10th best selling 3DS title. Reason why there isn't another Kid Icarus Uprising game is because Sakurai & Sora Ltd are busy with Smash Bros and Nintendo tend to keep developers and certain figure heads part of certain series. Sakurai and his team made Kid Icarus what it is now, they can't just give it to another developer to work on.
Sakurai legit said he just didn't want to make another Kid Icarus.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
That doesn't make much sense though. Those would be reserved for other fighters from similar companies. Why wouldn't they just pair them with other fighters down the line then?
If Geno was getting a costume, it makes no sense why it wouldn't have been with the Square-Enix rep unless he was playable or not going to happen. Why bother holding it off for so long if Hero's already out and we aren't getting any other appropriate fighters for Geno and Chocobo's costumes?
Why would Nintendo save Ken and Incineroar as the last two base roster reveals after building up hype with K. Rool, Simon and Ridley?

Why would they make Shadow's appearance in the game extremely ambiguous/questionable after introducing the Echo concept, only to unceremoniously reveal him as an AT at the very last second?

Nintendo has proven to be PROFOUNDLY tonedeaf, stupid, and nonsensical in the past. Even pertaining to Smash. Even pertaining to THIS VERY GAME.

Them unintentionally building hype for Geno through not revealing his Mii Costume with Hero, only to throw the costume out later down the line, for seemingly no reason, is EXACTLY the kind of absolutely head-scratching thing I could see happening with them.

Sorry, but FF7 will always be bigger than Nier: Automata. FF7's side characters will always be bigger than 2B, which means that Tifa will definitely always be bigger than 2B and thus Tifa would make WAY more sense than including 2B.
A side character from a single Final Fantasy game makes WAY more sense as a Smash inclusion than the PROTAGONIST of an insanely well-received new IP? Not sure I can agree with that.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Y'know, I'm kind of glad I'm not the only one who's not so hot for Sora around here. Not to say I hate him or Kingdom Hearts, I totally get why people like the series, but Sora just seems like such a boring choice to me. Like, everyone complains that we've got too many anime swordfighters in Smash, but then they all tell you that they want to see a character get in that's literally 50% anime and 50% sword. I keep hearing how he's got a totally unique moveset, but all I ever see when it comes to combat in Kingdom Hearts is keyblade swinging and overly flashy carnival rides. I hear people talk about all the great music we could see with him getting in, but they sort of forget that SquareEnix is a stingy ******* that only allows 2 tracks per character.
Do I need to host a Geno reanimated collab where people reanimate the trailer for SMRPG?

Ooo, we should have a Geno Doodle Collab!
Ooooh, a reanimated collab sounds fun! I'm totally game!

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Anyone know how we can get #GenoForSmash trending on Twitter? We really need to be punching up against this.

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
How likely do people think Geno is actually?
Most people, even detractors, probably can't name 5 characters who are more likely than Geno. Only one comes to mind in Ryu Hayubusa. I would say that his chances are really good for an E3 2020 reveal but not for FP character 5.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Anyone know how we can get #GenoForSmash trending on Twitter? We really need to be punching up against this.
I understand wanting to get more eyes on Operation Starfall and for people to have eyes on Geno for Smash, but this is just reeking of desperation now.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Sakurai legit said he just didn't want to make another Kid Icarus.
He also said that Brawl would be the last Smash Bros game. He had said many things that he later goes back on, like his stance on DLC and how it's not that profitable and would be best to make a new game instead.

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
Why are people thinking that Sora is 'competition' for Geno? Geno's main competition was FF and DQ and they are out of the way. Disney owns the IP and Sora the character. I'm sure Sakurai would consult Square Enix about him if he were to put them in but the yellow tape goes through Disney. This just screams scapegoating when there doesn't need to be any and this is coming from someone who kinda doesn't like KH as a series past KH1.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Why are people thinking that Sora is 'competition' for Geno? Geno's main competition was FF and DQ and they are out of the way. Disney owns the IP and Sora the character. I'm sure Sakurai would consult Square Enix about him if he were to put them in but the yellow tape goes through Disney. This just screams scapegoating when there doesn't need to be any and this is coming from someone who kinda doesn't like KH as a series past KH1.
Pretty much. I'd say his only standing competition right now would be 2B or Sephiroth, and Sephiroth seems unlikely due to all the copyright red tape that hindered Cloud. 2B could easily still happen, though, imo.

D

Deleted member

He also said that Brawl would be the last Smash Bros game. He had said many things that he later goes back on, like his stance on DLC and how it's not that profitable and would be best to make a new game instead.
he obviously hasn't gone back on the Kid Icarus thing so... What's the point here?

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
he obviously hasn't gone back on the Kid Icarus thing so... What's the point here?
You know things do take time.,right? It took Sakurai a couple of years to make Ridley playable after saying he can't because he's too big.

Nobody knows what the future will bring and as time moves on things change.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
So, how many of you would want to do a Geno Doodle/Reanimated Collab? I feel like we would need to do the doodle first, mainly because it's a bit easier to handle than an animated one. I think that'd be a good attention grabber. Maybe collab with the other Smash twitters on this to get the word spread around for all the fighters?

Last edited:

Plank08

Smash Lord
Genos never gonna happen, the starling is obviously starfy!:4pacman:
In all serious though, I got a question.
You know how every stage has guest characters appear? Well if the forest maze was a stage, and you could choose 5 random characters to appear(Exor would already be in the background, Mallow would already be a taunt) who would you pick?

MisterMike

Smash Champion
So, how many of you would want to do a Geno Doodle/Reanimated Collab? I feel like we would need to do the doodle first, mainly because it's a bit easier to handle than an animated one. I think that'd be a good attention grabber. Maybe collab with the other Smash twitters on this to get the word spread around for all the fighters?
I'm game for a reanimated collab.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
You know how every stage has guest characters appear? Well if the forest maze was a stage, and you could choose 5 random characters to appear(Exor would already be in the background, Mallow would already be a taunt) who would you pick?
Booster, Bowyer, Boshi, Gaz, and Frogfucius.

I would say Jonathan Jones or Punchinello or Dodo, but...that stage..

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
1. Bowyer
2. Booster
3. Croco
4. Jonathan Jones
5. Smithy or the Axem Rangers

edit: nah I agree with Glitch-EGamer Glitch-EGamer 's choices.

felt like I was scrambling for names after Bowyer and Booster and didn't think of Boshi or Frogfucious for some reason, and Gaz would be cool, like he could walk in to watch Geno or the others fight. Though it'd be cool to see Smithy in the background, but only if the sky can be seen (it likely wouldn't show the sky, though, I guess) so he could ride on the Axem Rangers' ship or something.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1) Bowyer
2) Boshi
3) Booster
4) Croco
5) Smithy

StarLight42

Smash Lord
50/50 on Geno personally, but i'll still be really bummed if he's just a costume again not gonna lie, mainly because they should rip these band-aids off sooner so the sting isn't as bad. There was plenty of space to include more Square stuff in the Hero pack

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/1185053442563162113?s=20

So yeah to anyone who was thinking about spamming Sakurai or anyone else with requests for Geno, please don't. People pay attention to these things and while some game devs in the past have let social media spamming dictate their rosters I think it's starting to get really old for a lot of them and I wouldn't be surprised if resentment has already started to set in for some of these folks. Harada is super outspoken and doesn't give a ****, but I'm sure Sakurai and others honestly get more annoyed with spammy stuff than anything else.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

So yeah to anyone who was thinking about spamming Sakurai or anyone else with requests for Geno, please don't. People pay attention to these things and while some game devs in the past have let social media spamming dictate their rosters I think it's starting to get really old for a lot of them and I wouldv't be surprised if resentment has already started to set in for some of these folks. Harada is super outspoken and doesn't give a ****, but I'm sure Sakurai and others honestly get more annoyed with spammy stuff than anything else.
No one actually meant to spam him, they were doing a group collab thing/some kind of tweet chain and a random dude tagged him and Sakurai amongst a bunch of tags for the fan accounts and whoever, and no one noticed. One guy ruined it for everyone.

But yeah I hope no one is actually spamming them and that this doesn’t happen again.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I guess it was a good thing I didn't join the SSE2 memes or latch onto the Sora4Smash hashtag.

We didn't get Harada'd and nobody seems to be targeting us as annoying. Our biggest strength has been really sharing the talents of other content creators/artists and I think it genuinely has had the most positive reception.

Big Ups to this community. Let's keep doing our thing and continue to remain respectful moving forward.

thumbsup.jpg

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Be careful though, some people might do it JUST to spite the rest. It is highly improbable that just because if that a character is no longer going to be worked on potentially but you never know...

:bomb:.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Harada has no pull in Smash, there's friendship and then there's business. Sakurai's not the vindictive type as much as a lot of fanbase loves to headcanon him as some kind of cynical fan hater.

Pretty sure Harada is just ****ing with people anyway. If it was so easy to stop characters via twitter spam, nobody would be in Smash.

D

Deleted member

So yeah to anyone who was thinking about spamming Sakurai or anyone else with requests for Geno, please don't. People pay attention to these things and while some game devs in the past have let social media spamming dictate their rosters I think it's starting to get really old for a lot of them and I wouldn't be surprised if resentment has already started to set in for some of these folks. Harada is super outspoken and doesn't give a ****, but I'm sure Sakurai and others honestly get more annoyed with spammy stuff than anything else.
Man, what'd I just get through saying about how we don't have to be associated with these fanbases and that's Geno's strength...

Harada has no pull in Smash, there's friendship and then there's business. Sakurai's not the vindictive type as much as a lot of fanbase loves to headcanon him as some kind of cynical fan hater.

Pretty sure Harada is just ****ing with people anyway. If it was so easy to stop characters via twitter spam, nobody would be in Smash.
aw, man, I thought he had tons of sway and was going to march right into Sakurai's office and tell him to replace every completed DLC character with Heihachi just to spite children on Twitter. Glad someone was realistic about it, really tempered my expectations.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Guys the people that Harada is tagging are innocent. It was one guy that tagged him in a long Twitter chain where a bunch of Smash campaign accounts were having fun making an Endgame meme. His notifications were probably blowing up and my guess is that it angered him. Weird thing is Harada didn't even mention him

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
NintendoSoup has also covered this post. Thankfully, Geno isn't getting any negative press from this. We respectfully stayed out of SSE2 and Sora4Smash posting

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
Golden Sun, Sin and Punishment, and Kid Icarus all received new sequels after their main characters' appearances in Brawl.

None of them have gotten a second new sequel.
I mean for Golden Sun and Sin and Punishment, it has more to do with the fact they were assist trophies, not fighters, and the new golden sun being... not the greatest sequel. I'm honestly hoping more for a plain old remaster of the the first 2 games then a true sequel.

Anyway, I want most mario RPGs to be remastered at some point. I love the paper mario games, and hope that if their remakes do well we can get out of the hell known as the sticker star era.

D

Deleted member

So I got bored and decided to make some mock-ups of what I think Geno's alt colors could be. Let me know what you think.
View attachment 242478
Alt 1 - Default colors, based on his character art.
Alt 2 - Baby blue alt, resembling his in-game in Super Mario RPG. Brighter blue, brown eyes and more faded orange for his hair.
Alt 3 - Purple alt, based on his poisoned palette. I made his hair a bit more brownish, thought it'd look better.
Alt 4 - Yellow alt, based on the statues in Nimbus Land. I opted for blue accents so it wouldn't look too monotonous.
Alt 5 - White alt, based on Mallow. I'm actually impressed with how well this works.
Alt 6 - Green alt, based on Bowyer. I was originally going to make this a red alt, but I was struggling to think of something/someone significant that was green to base it on.
Alt 7 - Red alt, based on Yaridovich. Not gonna lie, I really like this one.
Alt 8 - Black alt, based on Smithy. Originally, I was going to make an entirely grey alt based on the Machine Made versions of the Smithy Gang leaders, but I thought that would be too boring and opted for this.
Had to throw my hat into the ring on this. Loved your Default, Mallow and Yaridovich colors, so I kept them. The Yaridovich one feels representative of Smithy, too, to be honest. Kept but changed your yellow one a little too.

genos.png

Some of these don't look too great at this size, but on a bigger sprite or in 3D, they'd look rad.
From left to right:
Geno, Happy Cape, Sailor Cape, Fuzzy Cape, Fire Cape, Star Cape, MisterMike's Yaridovich and MisterMike's Mallow. Armors based on their appearance in the strategy guide.

Firox

Smash Master
I’d think 2B makes way more sense than Tifa for a female Square Enix Rep. you’d get another beloved new character from Yako Taro in that is also a female and from a growing brand too.
Oh yeah, I forgot about 2B. Seeing as how she would add a whole new "world" to the game as well, that does seem more probable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom