• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Since you quoted me on the matter, just for the record, I don't want or expect Doom guy for a lot of the same reasons. And...

The comparison to Samus doesn't really help. In my opinion if Sakurai wanted someone to rival Samus in terms of futuristic technology, we'd already have Sylux (literally a guy in a stolen Federation knockoff of Samus' suit) or one of the other Hunters from Prime: Hunters.

To loosely quote myself from earlier in the thread because I'm still of the same opinion: I will be extremely surprised if Doom Guy makes the cut as anything but a Mii costume, if that.
I'd love Sylux but what would his moveset be to diversify from Samus?

D

Deleted member

I'd love Sylux but what would his moveset be to diversify from Samus?
He was my Metroid Prime Hunters main all those years ago so I know him very well, but even so...

idk. ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯ He's super fast in his alternate form and was trap based. In a 3D environment, his tripwire bombs were super unique, but I don't know if it would translate to 2D very well. Same for his magnetic life sucking electricity beam.

I was just making the point that Nintendo has in-house Samus semi-clones to add to the game. Drawing the comparison between her and Doom guy isn't really something that helps Doom guy's chances, imo.

Heoj

Smash Ace
i was on the papagenos discord a bit ago and it hurts when almost everyone call geno "leakbait" everytime hes brought up.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
i was on the papagenos discord a bit ago and it hurts when almost everyone call geno "leakbait" everytime hes brought up.
It's kinda funny how adamantly people in the Discord for one of the biggest Geno fans hate Geno.

Also, how would they even know Geno is leak bait? Uncertainty over whether or not he's in =/= "FAKE JONESY LEAK WAS RIGHT, HE'S LEAKBAIT!" The source teased Geno, but it was tough to tell if it holds any truth or if it was solely facetious. That's it.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I can't believe a discord with the name of PapaGENOS is filled with people who hate Geno. That's like Smashboards only having people who hate everything Smash.

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
Ouch, that must hurt, still i do see why they'd say it. Geno is popular enough yet obscure enough he is perfect fake leak material

Firox

Smash Master
In some ways, I see the hate towards Geno as a good sign. It means the detractors see him as a viable threat to their own "more relevant" picks. It means that despite what they say, they know he's got a decent chance.

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
I can't believe a discord with the name of PapaGENOS is filled with people who hate Geno. That's like Smashboards only having people who hate everything Smash.
People only join the papagenos server because they know he has some insider info such as vr plant and the guy who told him banjo was happening.

D

Deleted member

It's kinda funny how adamantly people in the Discord for one of the biggest Geno fans hate Geno.

Also, how would they even know Geno is leak bait? Uncertainty over whether or not he's in =/= "FAKE JONESY LEAK WAS RIGHT, HE'S LEAKBAIT!" The source teased Geno, but it was tough to tell if it holds any truth or if it was solely facetious. That's it.
It doesn't really surprise me anymore. I mean, when you advertise your discord publicly, you're gonna find your biggest haters who'll come by just to beat up your opinion.

Now that it's been like two days, I'm going to give my full, unsolicited opinion on the Brew situation. I know Papagenos has made two videos on it now and I sort of feel like neither of them ask the hard hitting question of "who tf is this guy". He "predicted Piranha Plant" basically the day of the direct, which would be great if not one month ago we weren't talking about how Piranha Plant predictions are weak "proof" since the information was leaked to 4chan a few times and everyone ignored it because of how absolutely insane the "prediction" seemed.

To be harsh on Papa, he's sort of let this "Geno is leakbait" (which is asinine, by the way, for reasons mentioned in this thread) explode by assuming good faith on Brew or Shifty. When he asserts that only he and Sabi had the link to the facebook post in which Brew "predicted" the plant, there's no mystery to me - either Brew or Shifty, if they're partners in crime, made the Jonesy post. Brew's not "nervous" about the attention or whatever, he's probably reveling in it, and Papagenos is being taken for a ride. This whole situation feels like two relative nobodies came out of the woodwork and figured out a great way to get their five minutes of fame, and a ton of people bit.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
It doesn't really surprise me anymore. I mean, when you advertise your discord publicly, you're gonna find your biggest haters who'll come by just to beat up your opinion.

Now that it's been like two days, I'm going to give my full, unsolicited opinion on the Brew situation. I know Papagenos has made two videos on it now and I sort of feel like neither of them ask the hard hitting question of "who tf is this guy". He "predicted Piranha Plant" basically the day of the direct, which would be great if not one month ago we weren't talking about how Piranha Plant predictions are weak "proof" since the information was leaked to 4chan a few times and everyone ignored it because of how absolutely insane the "prediction" seemed.

To be harsh on Papa, he's sort of let this "Geno is leakbait" (which is asinine, by the way, for reasons mentioned in this thread) explode by assuming good faith on Brew or Shifty. When he asserts that only he and Sabi had the link to the facebook post in which Brew "predicted" the plant, there's no mystery to me - either Brew or Shifty, if they're partners in crime, made the Jonesy post. Brew's not "nervous" about the attention or whatever, he's probably reveling in it, and Papagenos is being taken for a ride. This whole situation feels like two relative nobodies came out of the woodwork and figured out a great way to get their five minutes of fame, and a ton of people bit.
I highly doubt it would've been impossible to find said Facebook post, to be honest... So who really knows? Good theory on your end though.
Grinch 2.0

Last edited:

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
While I do want Geno to get in on some point (Mostly because of the fact you guys sold me on him) Geno hate is probably never gonna go away sadly, he has all the issues of a contentious character.
Character from a highly represented game franchise? Check
Character a lot more minor then some characters from the same franchise not in yet (Like Kamek or Toad)? Check
Character from a JRPG? Check
3rd party? Check
From a single game over a decade old, so most people won't have the memories of of him? Check
Overused in Multiple fake leaks? Check
Has a dedicated fan base that has a decent amount of bad apples (No offense)? Check

None of these are good reasons to deny a character mind you, but these are reasons many people would be hesitant of getting him.

D

Deleted member

I highly doubt it would've been impossible to find said Facebook post, to be honest... So who really knows? Good theory on your end though.
Grinch 2.0
Grinch 2.0 is giving this waaaay too much credit. Grinch leaker is a god among men when it comes to work put into a fake leak.

Ouch, that must hurt, still i do see why they'd say it. Geno is popular enough yet obscure enough he is perfect fake leak material
It's been mentioned before but Geno is not perfect leakbait. Every fake leak for nearly ten years has had him in it. The point to leakbait would be to have a character that could uniquely identify a person or a group of people who "knew" that character along with some real details, so if you use a popular character, you're setting yourself up for failure because any old rando could guess the real details and include the leakbait character. The guy who guessed Terry and Ryu Hayabusa, for instance - what if Ryu was leakbait? Is the whole department fired now because some goon on 4chan guessed Terry and Ryu at the same time?

Good leakbait would be like... Piranha Plant, if it weren't actually playable (Plant's such good leakbait it honestly works even if the character becomes playable), or like if before we knew Konami was going to be involved again beyond Snake, someone was told the Vic Viper would be a playable character.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
While I do want Geno to get in on some point (Mostly because of the fact you guys sold me on him) Geno hate is probably never gonna go away sadly, he has all the issues of a contentious character.
Character from a highly represented game franchise? Check
Character a lot more minor then some characters from the same franchise not in yet (Like Kamek or Toad)? Check
Character from a JRPG? Check
3rd party? Check
From a single game over a decade old, so most people won't have the memories of of him? Check
Overused in Multiple fake leaks? Check
Has a dedicated fan base that has a decent amount of bad apples (No offense)? Check

None of these are good reasons to deny a character mind you, but these are reasons many people would be hesitant of getting him.
Mario RPGs isn't a highly represented franchise. Uncheck.
Toad is represented with Peach/Daisy and Kamek is part of a stage. Uncheck.
JRPGs are extremely popular and still have many characters requested for Smash because they are all so endearing and unique. Uncheck.
3rd party brings the hype and has now gone from 'not going to happen because not Nintendo' to 'going to happen cuz not Nintendo.' Uncheck.
The majority of Geno fans played the game growing up or later in life and he's always the one that gets the most love. Uncheck.
More people talking about him the better and fake leaks don't matter. Uncheck
Literally every fanbase ever. Uncheck.

This is why none of those reasons apply to Geno. My big post is still coming, and one of the first statements is how hating Geno and not wanting him in Smash is literally the most stupid stance to take. Stay tuned!

link2702

Smash Champion
I get the feeling genobros and sisters that I won’t be on smashboards for awhile...

If that happens y’all can find me on Nerf_0s. Channel occasionally, and I’ll drop in on the discord from time to time too.

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
Mario RPGs isn't a highly represented franchise. Uncheck.
Toad is represented with Peach/Daisy and Kamek is part of a stage. Uncheck.
JRPGs are extremely popular and still have many characters requested for Smash because they are all so endearing and unique. Uncheck.
3rd party brings the hype and has now gone from 'not going to happen because not Nintendo' to 'going to happen cuz not Nintendo.' Uncheck.
The majority of Geno fans played the game growing up or later in life and he's always the one that gets the most love. Uncheck.
More people talking about him the better and fake leaks don't matter. Uncheck
Literally every fanbase ever. Uncheck.

This is why none of those reasons apply to Geno. My big post is still coming, and one of the first statements is how hating Geno and not wanting him in Smash is literally the most stupid stance to take. Stay tuned!
I mean i don't beleive any of those things is a good reason, i was just going off the most common anti-geno arguments i've seen. You don't need to disprove them to me, you need to disprove them to other people.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
Star Fox, Mother, Duck Hunt, Pikmin. Heck, I'd argue Mega Man, Donkey Kong, and Metroid aren't as popular as they should be. Nowhere near the level of Fortnite's adoption with the younger generation, for sure.
All of those series have major legacies though.

Fortnite is a multiplayer/service game so none of the comparisons I could make are 1:1, but Ice Climbers, Earthbound, Wii Fit, Kid Icarus, ROB, Splatoon and Xenoblade were all series that, at the time of their inclusion, only had one notably successful/internationally released game in their series- if that. Nobody was asking “what if their popularity doesn’t last?” because they were 1) already in the game and 2) Nintendo-owned franchises
All of those characters were either extremely unique in moveset potential, from iconic games that left a mark on Nintendo history, or were from series' that Nintendo definitely had plans for moving forward.

Yeah Xenoblade had one game when Shulk was added, but it's not like they expected the series to be over. Splatoon was GUARANTEED to be a longtime IP for Nintendo and not just a flash-in-the-pan.

You gotta understand that Fortnite is a game that Nintendo has no control over. They can't add Jonesy or whoever else KNOWING "this will age fine because we have plans to do this and that with the franchise" the way they can with a first-party character.

D

Deleted member

All of those series have major legacies though.

All of those characters were either extremely unique in moveset potential, from iconic games that left a mark on Nintendo history, or were from series' that Nintendo definitely had plans for moving forward.

Yeah Xenoblade had one game when Shulk was added, but it's not like they expected the series to be over. Splatoon was GUARANTEED to be a longtime IP for Nintendo and not just a flash-in-the-pan.

You gotta understand that Fortnite is a game that Nintendo has no control over. They can't add Jonesy or whoever else KNOWING "this will age fine because we have plans to do this and that with the franchise" the way they can with a first-party character.
I'm one of the biggest Mother fans around and I can tell you that it has no legacy outside of being Nintendo's red-headed stepchild and generally just being a Dragon Quest clone. If a legacy of making your fans mad is something Nintendo thinks is worth putting into Smash... oh wait, we have 7 Fire Emblem characters.

Shulk's a second party character, so I don't really know if Nintendo has any say over how long Xenoblade or the Xeno- metaseries lasts. He's not really representative of the Xenoblade franchise, either, he just happens to be the protagonist of the first (and best, fight me) Xenoblade game. In a world where everyone is not here, I don't think he would have come back until DLC season when Xenoblade Chronicles HD was announced.

I don't think Nintendo's adding any characters with expectations that the game is going to "age fine". Games seem to very rarely be made with any sort of awareness of how they'll be received ten years down the line, or if they'll even be available ten years down the line. Video games are a very in-the-now kind of art form, expected to be relevant for a short period of time and then people just forget about them and move to the next relevance. If Nintendo is putting characters into the game "knowing" the franchise has a future, I don't think they would have put Mega Man in, or Simon and Richter, and especially not Snake.

Really, I agree with your argument, but I just don't agree with the way you go about it.

Luis27

Smash Apprentice
3 months ago, it was beatiful, Geno was having all check and i was sure he was gonna be in smash.

Now; its seem its the final of the road.

D

Deleted member

3 months ago, it was beatiful, Geno was having all check and i was sure he was gonna be in smash.

Now; its seem its the final of the road.
yeah, it's the end of the road for Geno haters.

Name one character who got this much animosity that isn't currently a playable character, I'll wait.

Luis27

Smash Apprentice
yeah, it's the end of the road for Geno haters.

Name one character who got this much animosity that isn't currently a playable character, I'll wait.
Yee

But i still think we gonna be the final of the road
I think we gonna be Miicostume'd

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I encourage those who encounter anti-Geno posts to screenshot them. Please; screenshot them. I know this might sound dumb and petty; but it will pay off big time (the Banjo collab was ****ing hilarious to read)

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
It's literally End Game now. If Ryu H is the 5th character, I would brace yourselves for either Mii Costume.....or the real thing.

Firox

Smash Master
I'm one of the biggest Mother fans around and I can tell you that it has no legacy outside of being Nintendo's red-headed stepchild and generally just being a Dragon Quest clone.
To be fair, the Mother series is a HUGE cult classic that actually shares many similarities to SMRPG in the sense that it's basically a dead franchise that still garners a sizeable amount of fans. "Legacy" doesn't have to mean that a series has a future or that it even had multiple entries. Just look at Ice Climbers, Mr. G&W, Lil Mac, ROB, Duck Hunt, Pacman, Wii Fit, Capt. Falcon, etc. Most of them aren't notable as more than "that cool retro game back in the day", yet that in and of itself IS their legacy. When they left an impression so deep on the industry and our own nostalgia that we remember them 20+ years after the fact, what else can you call it but legacy? In a sense, Smash itself is their legacy. It's the single most powerful media for keeping these dated franchises alive. Maybe that's why Nintendo/Sakurai put so much emphasis on legacy over modern relevance.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's literally End Game now. If Ryu H is the 5th character, I would brace yourselves for either Mii Costume.....or the real thing.
Like I said before, Ryu speculation has been a thing since before Joker was revealed, so if Fighter 5 is Ryu Hayabusa, none of the "leaks" were anything more than lucky guesses in my humble opinion. For a leak to be real for me, it has to have minor corroborating evidence that goes with the character, not "my source says [character] oh and maybe [character2]". We're no better or worse off now than we ever have been, to despair over a fake leak feeds the troll.

I'm really looking forward to the Mii costume showing up only for the real Geno to come destroy it. The shift in emotion between detractors and fans will be enough to flip the magnetic poles.

Heoj

Smash Ace
Genos fate seems to either be a mii costume or playable but... what happens if they just... don't do anything for him... like what if they just leave him as a spirit and call it a day, now that would be the worst timeline...

Grumbo

Smash Ace
That would be gamefaqs lmao.

I can’t wait until early November so I can start using Thanos memes.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
I'm one of the biggest Mother fans around and I can tell you that it has no legacy outside of being Nintendo's red-headed stepchild and generally just being a Dragon Quest clone.
I mean no disrespect here, but this is flat-out wrong. Earthbound is an insanely influential series, even if it didn't really move numbers.

If Nintendo is putting characters into the game "knowing" the franchise has a future, I don't think they would have put Mega Man in, or Simon and Richter, and especially not Snake.
Mega Man, Castlevania and Metal Gear all had insanely strong legacies when those characters were added in. They didn't NEED a future to earn their spot.

Here's the point:

Fortnite is 3rd party

Fortnite doesn't have a legacy (Mega Man, Metal Gear)

It's not a franchise that is guaranteed to live on and eventually build a legacy (Splatoon, Fire Emblem)

None of this is a slight against Fortnite or its fans. But right now it has all the markings of a flash-in-the-pan, and Nintendo can't sit back and say "we KNOW Fortnite will live on because we have plans for it" the way they could 2nd-party titles like Xenoblade and Bayonetta

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
With some leakers saying that Wave 2 won't feature Nintendo characters is hard to believe. Nintendo & Sakurai already know that they can sell any character and people with buy it based on how many people bought the Fighters Pass after just revealing Joker, and they also know that there's still Nintendo characters people want and most likely Sakurai want to include someone from Fire Emblem Three Houses and Pokemon Sword & Shield. It hard to believe that they would rather keep spending money and negotiate with third parties for all future DLC instead of using some of the properties they already have which wouldn't cost them anything extra. They need to mix it up now.

Plus are they legitimately going have Piranha Plant as the last Nintendo character ever to be added into Smash Bros? I know a lot are sick the Plant insults but come on, that's extremely messed up.

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
With some leakers saying that Wave 2 won't feature Nintendo characters is hard to believe. Nintendo & Sakurai already know that they can sell any character and people with buy it based on how many people bought the Fighters Pass after just revealing Joker, and they also know that there's still Nintendo characters people want and most likely Sakurai want to include someone from Fire Emblem Three Houses and Pokemon Sword & Shield. It hard to believe that they would rather keep spending money and negotiate with third parties for all future DLC instead of using some of the properties they already have which wouldn't cost them anything extra. They need to mix it up now.

Plus are they legitimately going have Piranha Plant as the last Nintendo character ever to be added into Smash Bros? I know a lot are sick the Plant insults but come on, that's extremely messed up.
Yeah it's unlikely plant will be the last nintendo character, and i take leakers opinions with a grain of salt unless we have some nice, solid evidence i can trace back to an official nintendo source.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
With Smash Ulitmate being the "ultimate" video game collaboration, I do see a good portion of future DLC will be third party. How much? I am not sure. But, I would say at least a significant amount since it has been stressed several times that future Smash titles will not have this big of a cross over ... so Nintendo and Sakurai will pump out as much as they can.

However, I too agree that I doubt that none of future DLC will include any Nintendo owned characters (including second party). Asides from some popular requests that the fans want, it also makes financial sense since Nintendo wouldn't need to spend money on licensing. They are still a business and want Smash to remain a money maker. Granted, I am sure they still make some profit off of third party DLC ... but obviously not as much if it is their own property.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
There's not actually a chance of a fortnight character in smash right? Tell me that's not seriously being considered.
2% chance of a Fortnite character and that's being generous

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
What has had me confident within this Smash DLC speculation cycle that Geno IS coming to the roster is Geno himself, and what I mean by this is what he canonically is and how that matches with the Super Smash Bros. lore.

In one of the first Smash-focused Directs prior to Ultimate's release, I remember Sakurai actually mentioning the lore of the Smash universe (toys clashing in epic battles in the imaginary world, while trying to reach the real world). Taking the lore into account, the complete title of this Smash Bros. entry (Super Smash Bros. Ultimate), the desire for Sakurai to please as many fans as possible (with the next wave of DLC), it matches swimmingly well with Geno; a toy that within the imaginary world (of Gaz's imagination) engages in epic battles and adventures, and actually manages to reach the real world by means of a celestial being giving it life (possessing it). It's important to remember that Geno is the name of the doll, and not of the entity which possesses it (who's name is ♥♪!?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom