• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yep, and that goes both ways. The people who are extreme Geno fans can be awful, too. There are multiple times I can count where I've been embarrassed as heck to be a Geno fan. Whoof...
Very true. And while overall I think Smashboards is better than most Smash circles online, the character threads can and do often house extremists of the opposite ilk, where mob mentality helps hope push past reason.

Therefore the worst that happens is people slip into delusion, unlike other sites where the absence of annexation leads to escalating combativeness. And as anyone from a city big into narcotics will tell you, it's better to deal with a harmless crazy person than an angry crazy person. :laugh:

Firox

Smash Master
- Think you're a stain on whatever movements you're a part of (particularly LGBT) if you dare to support Geno in Smash
- Want to dump Smash as a series forever and consider Ultimate a terrible game if Geno gets in
- Want to 'literally die' if Geno gets in Smash in 'an anti-good way' (Those air quotes are all verbatim from what the person was saying.)
- Think that the bad fans are representative of the entire fan base, and that if you're a Geno fan, you're automatically 'delusional' and 'irritating' for daring to like a character they don't like
"Literally die" over a smash bros character???!!! This person HAS to be either 5 years old or clinically brain dead for two reasons:

1) They don't understand the meaning of the word "literally". If you honestly think that the inclusion of a given character in a video game will directly result in the stopping of one's heart or vital organs, you are either an idiot or a practitioner of black magic (and apparently of the dumbest kind imaginable).

2) If you are willing to die over ANY video game, you are frighteningly delusional, completely out of touch with reality, and might need to seek professional help.

I think the part that scares me the most about trolls like these is that they are real people that society has to actually interact with. Such poor, poor lost souls.

ZelDan

Smash Master
"Literally die" over a smash bros character???!!! This person HAS to be either 5 years old or clinically brain dead for two reasons:

1) They don't understand the meaning of the word "literally". If you honestly think that the inclusion of a given character in a video game will directly result in the stopping of one's heart or vital organs, you are either an idiot or a practitioner of black magic (and apparently of the dumbest kind imaginable).

2) If you are willing to die over ANY video game, you are frighteningly delusional, completely out of touch with reality, and might need to seek professional help.

I think the part that scares me the most about trolls like these is that they are real people that society has to actually interact with. Such poor, poor lost souls.
If the things they were saying was "trolling" that would imply they don't actually mean what they say and are just saying what they are saying to garner reactions.

Firox

Smash Master
If the things they were saying was "trolling" that would imply they don't actually mean what they say and are just saying what they are saying to garner reactions.
True, though would saying such things just to garner reactions make them any less insufferable? Plus it only proves my point even more that they don't understand the meaning of "literally".

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

True, though would saying such things just to garner reactions make them any less insufferable? Plus it only proves my point even more that they don't understand the meaning of "literally".
"literally" has unfortunately been butchered to the point that it now means virtually the same as "figuratively".

if you want to say something is "literal" it is now "legit".

ZelDan

Smash Master
never said it was right, just saying it might not be something that one necessarily needs to seek professional help over.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
I am literally dead because Geno is not in smash yet. Please send Fs and prayers.

Last edited:

Grumbo

Smash Ace
A reminder that the extremists of Geno's hate base have stated in the past that they:

- Think you're a stain on whatever movements you're a part of (particularly LGBT) if you dare to support Geno in Smash
- Want to dump Smash as a series forever and consider Ultimate a terrible game if Geno gets in
- Want to 'literally die' if Geno gets in Smash in 'an anti-good way' (Those air quotes are all verbatim from what the person was saying.)
- Think that the bad fans are representative of the entire fan base, and that if you're a Geno fan, you're automatically 'delusional' and 'irritating' for daring to like a character they don't like

... and probably more that I'm forgetting. I'm not talking out of my *** when I cite these things either. I'd source them here, but I'm NOT about to give names of people to leave them open to crap-flinging. Even for people I disrespect for being hateful beings, I cannot do that in good conscience. I'm not making these up, though. These are literally statements from Geno's hate base that I've seen.

Kinda funny to think everyone out there says Geno's fans are bad when his hate base is arguably far worse.

That said, don't bother with GameFAQs. Places like that, Reddit, and the ol' dark side of the internet are full of trolls. They aren't worth your time.
I find it so odd that smash is one of the few fanbases like that. I guess a lot of it comes from people “competing” to get their favorite characters in. I really hope this calms down one day but it probably won’t.

On a side note what do you guys think the chances of another smash ballot are? I think it could work if done at the beginning of wave 2 and affect decisions in the next year (if we get a wave 3, though i think thats likely given the game’s nature). Hopefully that would rejuvenate a lot of fanbases and give them one last shot.

Firox

Smash Master
never said it was right, just saying it might not be something that one necessarily needs to seek professional help over.

*Someone who spends a significant amount of time griefing and bullying people on the internet over a fictional video game character.* Meh, I think a little professional help couldn't hurt. Or at least some parental supervision.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
*Someone who spends a significant amount of time griefing and bullying people on the internet over a fictional video game character.* Meh, I think a little professional help couldn't hurt. Or at least some parental supervision.
Man, it is quite sad, parental supervision is quite lacking nowadays, it seems, when it could help, huh?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
So...you guys want a Geno action figure?...
Yeah, I have multiple issues with this (the method of getting it done via retweet spam alongside the uncertainty of whether it'd even be possible without SE cracking down on it all). Copyright issues are different for a legitimate company with this much of a following versus little Etsy shops and obvious fan merch. I'm honestly surprised the SMRPG-inspired pins from Fangamer were even allowed to be on there, now that I think about it... and didn't they have a 'Geno' (air quotes necessary) figure for a limited time? What I'd do to get my hands on that sucker...

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Yeah, I have multiple issues with this (the method of getting it done via retweet spam alongside the uncertainty of whether it'd even be possible without SE cracking down on it all). Copyright issues are different for a legitimate company with this much of a following versus little Etsy shops and obvious fan merch. I'm honestly surprised the SMRPG-inspired pins from Fangamer were even allowed to be on there, now that I think about it... and didn't they have a 'Geno' (air quotes necessary) figure for a limited time? What I'd do to get my hands on that sucker...
This is the first I’ve heard of a Geno figure. The closest thing ive seen is that old keychain.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
Hey papagenos papagenos . I saw your latest vid on the current status of smash leaks. When it came to that last guy that claimed that ryu and geno were coming, how confident are you that they're telling the truth? Could the evidence they presented have simply been edited or is it from a site that is currently up now with what they claimed still in writing.

What's everyones thoughts on it?

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Hey papagenos papagenos . I saw your latest vid on the current status of smash leaks. When it came to that last guy that claimed that ryu and geno were coming, how confident are you that they're telling the truth? Could the evidence they presented have simply been edited or is it from a site that is currently up now with what they claimed still in writing.

I think Ryu’s a pretty good character in general, but there is no way I can find myself getting excited for him as the big final character to end off the pass, especially after going through another lesser-known pick in the form of Terry. If it turns out that he’s really the final character and it’s not just a big mixup with Warriors Orochi Ultimate, I’d expect quite a few people to end up disappointed with how they handled the ordering of things, though the recent announcement of future characters would certainly quell some of that.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I don't trust that one guy that says Ryu and Geno are coming. I'm not getting Grinched again. As I've said, VR Plant and maybe Vergeben are the only credible leakers. Iamshifty has gotten some things right, but it really comes down to if Ryu is the 5th fighter if I'm going to be able to trust him.

Ovaltine

Smash Master

Not so sure if he'll respond here, but according to Papa on his Twitter, he's responded to people saying that he's taking it with a huge grain of salt.

D

Deleted member

Going back to that "Who would you choose to fill out the last 11 slots" question mine would look something like this (Mix of what I expect vs what I want):

FP 1 #5: Ryu Hayabusa/Doomguy/Lloyd Irving (I expect one of these three)

FP 2 #1: Geno (Obviously I want this to happen as it is ideal but I won't expect it or think it's very likely until the FP itself is done cause the costume is still possible)
FP 2 #2 Bandanna Dee (Want as I would like for my nephew to get someone he wants an he want Bandanna Dee)
FP 2 #3: Phoenix Wright (Expectation/Want as I expect a Capcom rep at least and I would like for said Capcom rep to be Phoenix)
FP 2 #4: Sol Badguy (Expectation as I just have a feeling that we will get Sol Badguy/an ArcSys character)
FP 2 #5: Rex/Pyra (Want as I think Rex/Pyra should be given another chance at Smash since they were so close yet problems outside of the games control led them to not get in and Sakurai even wanted them in)

FP 3 #1: Heihachi (Another Fighting game rep but getting Tekken it would kind of complete the Fighting game genre's representation imo with Street Fighter, Fatal Fury/KoF, Guilty Gear and Tekken represented so it would be the biggest Fighting game crossover and it would be great to get Tekken representation).
FP 3 #2: Crash Bandicoot (I would honestly be shocked at this point if we did not get Crash at all so I fully expect him.)
FP 3 #3: Waluigi (I kinda expect Waluigi honestly the backlash of him being an Assist Trophy was massive and if we do get an Assist Upgrade I feel like Waluigi would be first in line, RIP Isaac.)
FP 3 #4: Arle Nadja (I expect Arle Nadja tbh it's just a gut-feeling I have it's kinda based on nothing but I feel like there's a good chance that she makes it.)
FP 3 #5: Sora (Again at this point I wouldn't be surprised if Sora got in despite me thinking it's more likely he won't as he's from a massive series from Square and if they went for Geno I would feel like they would take their chances to get Sora too.)

Also a bonus 10/11 in case we get to 100 characters:
Bonus 1: Dixie Kong [echo fighter] (One of the few big Nintendo Characters truly missing alongside characters like Bandanna Dee and Rex/Pyra and I think they should get in though I doubt it. This one is more of a want)
Bonus 2: Steve (I honestly think with additional DLC characters now happening Steve has a really good chance again if they feel like double dipping as he's from one of the biggest and most influential games ever)
Bonus 3: Jill Valentine [+Leon Kennedy echo] (While I could see Jill Valentine/Leon Kennedy being added in the Fighters Pass I think it would be fun and great if we could get both like Simon/Richter so I pushed them into Bonus DLC territory.)
Bonus 4: Isaac (Honestly Isaac is the only other character I could see getting upgraded from Assist to Playable due to the backlash but even so this is more of a want than an expectation/prediction.)
Bonus 5: Dr. Eggman (I really feel like we should get at least one new Sonic Character in the long run and as Shadow is already an Assist I think Eggman would be the best choice as he's one of the most iconic video game villains ever on-par with Bowser and Ganon so I feel like we should give the dude a chance.)
Bonus 6: Lloyd/Doom guy [whichever one did not get in compared to Lloyd/Doom guy/Hayabusa] (As I said I think one of these would make sense)
Bonus 7: Chorus Kids (Rhythm Heaven is one of the biggest Nintendo franchises yet to be within the Smash Roster and these dudes were apparently planned for Sm4sh so I would like to see Sakurai revisit them sometime yet it's not going to happen so this is just a wanted choice).
Bonus 8: Master Chief (From one of the most influential franchises, Would be great to see Halo get in Smash and finish Microsoft's representation, Etc.)
Bonus 9: Lloyd/Doom guy [Last of the Lloyd/Doom guy/Hayabusa group] (Yet again a very likely character).
Bonus 10: Byleth (Still no Spirits and that's very suspicious so I wouldn't count Byleth/Edelgard out from being additional DLC despite them being first parties).
Very unlikely cause of there being the presence of First Parties cause they will not happen I know but this would be one hell of a DLC in my opinion.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
You know, Geno does pierce the heavens, too... albeit in the reverse direction to descend to our planet.

He's a TTGL character, guys. He's fourth party. Deconfirmed. :( :( :(
We already have a Gurren Laggan character tho.
Kirby.

D

Deleted member

This. Sakurai obviously chooses DLC characters based upon how many supporters their SmashBoards thread has. :p
Actually now that I think about it, you ever think about if some Nintendo employee/official ever browses Smashboards to look at character support threads? I know there's only a 1% chance of that being the case, but don't you ever just wonder about that?

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
So... what does this mean now that Geno was #1 in this latest poll?
People will preform mental gymnastics and try to say it doesn't count because of "bias" or that it speaks only to the smash bubble and therefore doesn't capture what people who have bought the game "really want".

D

Deleted member

People will preform mental gymnastics and try to say it doesn't count because of "bias" or that it speaks only to the smash bubble and therefore doesn't capture what people who have bought the game "really want".
"Let's listen to people who don't play video games and put characters they want into the game whilst ignoring the people who actually DO play the game! Brilliant!"

I honestly think that whenever people say something like that, that's where my mind goes on what they think.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
Actually now that I think about it, you ever think about if some Nintendo employee/official ever browses Smashboards to look at character support threads? I know there's only a 1% chance of that being the case, but don't you ever just wonder about that?
There absolutely is someone at Nintendo of America who's job it is (among other things) to monitor this forum. Are they tallying who has the most active thread? Probably, but not all that closely. They probably pop in every week or so and read the recent posts.

Why? Because companies keep eyes on their customers, both to know what the community thinks and to protect the company from any potential liabilities or problems.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
"Let's listen to people who don't play video games and put characters they want into the game whilst ignoring the people who actually DO play the game! Brilliant!"

I honestly think that whenever people say something like that, that's where my mind goes on what they think.
I mean, when people talk about the Smash Bubble, it's entirely for pointing out there's more than the people who talk about Smash religiously online like we do. There are plenty of people who play the game and play other video games that don't have the same commitment to it we do and don't care about polls or voting or whatever. And not only is their voice just as important as ours, but their money is especially worth as much. The "Smash Bubble" is but one subset of the overall player base of Smash, and the overall Smash population is huge and has more varied taste than you'll see on traditional forums. Plus, there are over 2 billion people playing video games these days, so there's tons of people to potentially make inroads with in terms of developing your market share too.

Like it or not, there's a massive population of players beyond us and the people on message boards. They may not voice their opinions vocally, but Nintendo will market to them and they're much less likely to recognize more niche characters that will often populate polls and forums. I mean, Mach Rider performs well on some Smash polls, but sure as hell will not be recognizable to really anybody beyond the Smash Bubble.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
I guess I’ll make my list since I’m new here
(I’ll format it like two passes)

Pass 1
Character #5
Lloyd Irving
One of my most wanteds, I haven’t played much of Symphonia but its very fun (it’s high on the backlog rn) and I really like his moveset in smash flash. I think a lot of things are adding up in his favor such as the VA’s tweets and the new logo. He’d probably end up as a secondary of mine.

Pass 2 (More 3rd parties, no spirit restriction)
Character #1
Geno
I’m in the Geno thread so of course he’s in here :). I think he’s got a very good shot and seems like a good VGA reveal. It would really show the power of the smash fandom. He has a lot of moveset potential (ie. Legacy) and he’d be our first mario rpg rep. (Btw I played most of the game but never finished it, definitely on the top of my backlog)

Character #2
Crash
Crash is looking very likely at this point imo. Fun series of games with decent moveset potential. Plus he’d be the next in the line of pseudo-playstation reps. (I dont really think Activision is to blame for Blizzard’s actions so I’m still all for him or Spyro.)

Character #3
Quote (Cave Story)
An oddball choice, but one that definitely has the legacy back it up. Cave Story was THE indie game back in the day, and still has a lot of fans. It has a strong connection to Nintendo and would make sense as the first indie rep. Quote has a lot of moveset potential with the different guns and jetpack, and Curly could make a good alt/echo. Plus its a great game.

Character #4
Yoshimitsu
Tekken’s a game I don’t have much attachment to (other than a couple of fun rounds at the arcade), but I’m all for more Namco characters. I think he’d be more interesting than Jin or Heihachi (in both design and moveset). He has an essentially limitless pool of costumes to use (I like the beetle one the most). He’d also rep two series at once, Tekken and Soul Calibur, and could come with spirits from both.

Character #5
Master Chief
A slightly controversial pick, but I’d go insane over it. Chief as a final (at least for a third party pass) character would blow the minds of just about anyone who plays games. It would further solidify the nintendo-microsoft friendship and be seen as a landmark moment in gaming. I have a lot of nostalgia for Halo 2 and Reach (most people like 3 the most but I never got around to it). He could come with various different armors as alts (Hayabusa, ODST, any of the reach characters, the dude from Halo 5), and he has a wealth of possible moves.

Pass 3 (assist trophy upgrades, 1st and 3rd)

Character #1
Bomberman
This one fits with my (admitedly weak) theory from the Isaac board (the quick of it is that this picture is hinting at an assist pass. Once I rework the theory I’ll post it here if you guys want). Bomberman would be a really good choice imo, heavily requested and he’d rep hudsonsoft, another one of the 90’s console makers.

Character #2
MY BOIIIIIIIIIII ISAAC!
I’d go insane if he made it. He’s essentially guaranteed under an assist pass but I’d still be on the edge of my seat waiting for him. Without Isaac I would have never gotten into speculation, he’s been my most wanted for a long time, and I even voted for him on the ballot (I never saw Banjo as possible, but Isaac would still be #2). Tons of moveset potential and possible alts/ echo in Felix or Matthew.

Character #3
Skull Kid
The long overdue next Zelda rep, and prime contender alongside Midna. Majora’s Mask always stressed me out as a kid but it was very interesting. My brother is a big fan of the game and the character, so that rubbed off on me a bit. He’d have a cool moveset and possible alts with no mask/other masks. Plus he’d fufill another one of those brawl-era fan requests.

Character #4
Shovel Knight
This one’s very hard for me to decide among Shovel Knight, Knuckles, and Zero. I think theyre all great characters with their own merits, but if I had to pick it’d be shovel knight for more a diverse roster. He’d probably provide the most unique moveset as well as repping a new series and being the 2nd indie character. The series definitely has the staying power and the quality.

Character #5
WAAAAAALUIGI
The great stinger ending, the charcter who constantly got denied and forgotten makes it to smash as our last dlc rep. He could pull moves from party and other side games (ie. Legacy and SSF2). He’d definitely satisfy the fanbase as a final pick and it would be a bit poetic.

Other characters I’d like to see include Spyro, Doomguy, Dovakhin, Heavy, Jill/Leon, Crono, Terra or Kefka (a long shot), among others.

Potential Echos
I dont have much in mind for an echoes pass, but if it happens Dixie absolutely deserves to be in, followed by Black Shadow. There could even be some third party ones (Shadow).

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Shh... if people find out I work for Nintendo I'm finished!

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
for a assist themed pass Isaac Waluigi Skull Kid Bomberman is about as good as it could get but #5 could really be anything. If it were totally up to me I'd probably go with takamaru or sukapon if rayman doesn't get in, but there are still a lot of popular characters there like SK, knuckles, shadow, ashley, lyn, zero, alucard, ect. that would all be fine choices.

Last edited:

Grumbo

Smash Ace
for a assist themed pass Issac Waluigi Skull Kid Bomberman is about as good as it could get but #5 could really be anything. If it were totally up to me I'd probably go with takamaru or sukapon if rayman doesn't get in, but there are still a lot of popular characters there like SK, knuckles, shadow, ashley, lyn, zero, alucard, ect. that would all be fine choices.
Yeah, I feel bad I forgot about Lyn, I love the gba fire emblem games. There’s enough good characters in snowglobe heck to fill three passes, maybe even four using ones from previous games.

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
So while we wait for Geno or any other smash news, what do you all think of Luigi's Mansion 3? I honestly think the game looks way too bright and cheery for what is supposed to be a game with a more sinister/spooky theme. It makes the flashlight look too out of place, you can already see everything in the room without it. That would be like having your car's headlights on the highest setting in broad daylight. :luigi64:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
So while we wait for Geno or any other smash news, what do you all think of Luigi's Mansion 3? I honestly think the game looks way too bright and cheery for what is supposed to be a game with a more sinister/spooky theme. It makes the flashlight look too out of place, you can already see everything in the room without it. That would be like having your car's headlights on the highest setting in broad daylight. :luigi64:
I've just come to accept luigi's mansion as one of those happy accidents in gaming like majoras mask or melee. It's been made abundantly clear now that there will never be anything like it again so I'm just happy we got what we did.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I mean, when people talk about the Smash Bubble, it's entirely for pointing out there's more than the people who talk about Smash religiously online like we do. There are plenty of people who play the game and play other video games that don't have the same commitment to it we do and don't care about polls or voting or whatever. And not only is their voice just as important as ours, but their money is especially worth as much. The "Smash Bubble" is but one subset of the overall player base of Smash, and the overall Smash population is huge and has more varied taste than you'll see on traditional forums. Plus, there are over 2 billion people playing video games these days, so there's tons of people to potentially make inroads with in terms of developing your market share too.

Like it or not, there's a massive population of players beyond us and the people on message boards. They may not voice their opinions vocally, but Nintendo will market to them and they're much less likely to recognize more niche characters that will often populate polls and forums. I mean, Mach Rider performs well on some Smash polls, but sure as hell will not be recognizable to really anybody beyond the Smash Bubble.
I always think this is such a weird hypothetical though. Like in 2019 there's somehow a massive but for all intents and purposes silent subset of the Smash audience that not only doesn't frequent more specialized forums like Smashboards, but also sites like Youtube, Reddit, and Twitter? I mean say what you will about Smashboards, but Reddit, Twitter, and Youtube are (along with Instagram and Facebook) the most frequently used social media sites and websites period in the world. You literally cannot get more mainstream than them. And yeah the Smash community is a proportionally small subsection of those sites, but the fact is they really don't exist in a bubble in and of themselves. People who play videogames and are even vaguely interested in Nintendo stuff are exposed to SSBU news and discussion about new characters whether they life it or not. And it really doesn't take that much for those people to put their two cents in when it comes to who'd they'd like to see in the game.

If you're saying the "overall" Smash population between not only this site but all of those other social media sites, where big polls and discussions happen frequently and get huge amounts of votes, is not accurately being represented by all of said polls and discussion then I can't help but disagree. Also, I really don't get the semantics behind calling it a "Smash" bubble when realistically it's a "Nintendo" bubble. Most people if they are into Nintendo games are also into Smash or at least have opinions about who should/shouldn't get in the game. If anything its arguably one of the most perpetually talked about things in the entire Nintendo fanbase. And with that being the case I just fundamentally do not believe that there's some massive portion of people who have bought SSBU and have even slightly significant feelings as to what characters should make it in as newcomers yet for whatever reason haven't made those feelings known on the internet in some form.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I mentioned a couple of pages back... Luigi's Mansion will never be fully realized again. The game has such a strange personality. I'm glad to see the new game has reintroduced a focus on Portrait Ghosts, but yeah the artsyle and attitude of the game plays it way too safe. The game looks much more linear, which is a common theme in newer Mario titles. But that's not in the essence of Luigi's Mansion on GCN at all. The way you worked through the mansion and unlocked different areas made it seem all the more adventurous. Having to backtrack for boss fights like the Twins was exciting. Finding a key and not knowing what door it would unlock, or what horror you were bound to walk into kept you on your toes. It made the environment fun to explore.

But seriously certain parts of that game freaked me out as a kid. I had nightmares of Bogmire. Do I regret it? Nah, I booted up my save file and beat dude's ass. Other parts confused the hell out me. I didn't light Shivers' candles for a good two weeks. I was stumped. Nintendo has definetely survived off of their grasp on the youth demographic. For the most part, their games have gotten easier, and remained lighthearted. I have few qualms with this, but Luigi's Mansion is a game where I feel this mindset hurts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom