• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
There goes my hope for my cat to Smash.

I guess he'd be too OP. His bite is something to be feared.

Here he is. How can you not want him in Smash? #StoneyforSmash !!!!! :mad088:

No, I don't regularly dig for excuses to show off my kitty. That'd be silly.
No, no! This is a perfect excuse to show off kitty as they are relevant to Geno... maybe... just a little bit...

As such, here is my beautiful girl Pika!

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
it's only surprising that after all the fanfare around the Mii costume and after Sakurai acknowledging him as a popular character, he ended up in what is nebulously a graveyard for characters that have absolutely no moveset potential. My only hope for what that means is that they're going to go maximum overdrive and have his spirit become a character, and they wanted the spirit to be there so we could have him as our online avatar (I don't use it because it kind of offends me)
I don't think that's accurate at all especially in light of bonus DLC. There were plenty of characters made spirits that have great moveset potential. They were just characters that weren't base roster fighters, ATs, or FP DLC so far. They're just .pngs. Like you said he has the chance still of being made a full character. I think spirits have more of a chance to become bonus DLC than ATs at the very least.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I gotta say, it’s insane that a fanbase for a 20+ year old character has gotten this big and still going strong.

I’m willing to bet there are a lot of Geno fans who haven’t even played SMRPG, and just want him for his awesome design/moveset potential regardless

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I gotta say, it’s insane that a fanbase for a 20+ year old character has gotten this big and still going strong.

I’m willing to bet there are a lot of Geno fans who haven’t even played SMRPG, and just want him for his awesome design/moveset potential regardless
Honestly a lot of people say this (oftentimes as a slight against the character and fanbase) but idk how true that actually is. It came out at the end of the SNES era and was pretty popular at the time and so fans in their mid 20s-mid 30s who had a SNES probably played it. And then it re-released on the VC for both Wii and Wii U and now we have it on SNES Classic. So realistically there were more opportunities for people to play it than Banjo-Kazooie when you think about it. I'm sure Geno has some fans who have never tried the game but I think people forget how many re-releases the game has actually had across such a wide amount of time.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Honestly a lot of people say this (oftentimes as a slight against the character and fanbase) but idk how true that actually is. It came out at the end of the SNES era and was pretty popular at the time and so fans in their mid 20s-mid 30s who had a SNES probably played it. And then it re-released on the VC for both Wii and Wii U and now we have it on SNES Classic. So realistically there were more opportunities for people to play it than Banjo-Kazooie when you think about it. I'm sure Geno has some fans who have never tried the game but I think people forget how many re-releases the game has actually had across such a wide amount of time.
There have been as many re-releases for Banjo & Kazooie as for Super Mario RPG. The Xbox 360 re-release in 2008 (the same year as Super Mario RPG was re-released for the first time funnily enough), the Xbox One backwards compatibility release (roughly equivalent to the Wii U release), and then Rare Replay (similarly packaged in with other games like Super Mario RPG as part of the SNES Classic).

And I don't think it's much of a slight, plenty of Smash fans don't play half the things they support in speculation lol.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Datboigeno is probably referring to Mario RPG on Nintendo platforms compared to Banjo & Kazooie on Nintendo platforms be re-released on virtual console(s).

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Datboigeno is probably referring to Mario RPG on Nintendo platforms compared to Banjo & Kazooie on Nintendo platforms be re-released on virtual console(s).
I'm not sure that distinction matters all that much with how much of a household name Xbox 360 was last generation. Between those releases, that's still the potential to reach over 70 million customers with a re-release. And the Xbox One hasn't run away this generation, but it has seen quite solid sales as well. There have been plenty of opportunities to play Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie as well is all I'm saying (as there have been for the majority of characters that are either in the roster or would be coming to the roster).

D

Deleted member

I'm not sure that distinction matters all that much with how much of a household name Xbox 360 was last generation. Between those releases, that's still the potential to reach over 70 million customers with a re-release. And the Xbox One hasn't run away this generation, but it has seen quite solid sales as well. There have been plenty of opportunities to play Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie as well is all I'm saying (as there have been for the majority of characters that are either in the roster or would be coming to the roster).
Of course Microsoft, who commonly gets their name abbreviated as "M$" is gonna release a fan favorite retro game that they have total rights to, it's not even a question. On the flip side, I think the fact Nintendo has managed to re-release Mario RPG at all speaks volumes for its popularity and what Nintendo thinks about it as a legendary title, pun not intended. After the SNES era and up to recently, it isn't like Square and Nintendo have necessarily been on the friendliest terms, and I could see SE doing something petty like simply not letting them use a Mario game in which likely more than half of the content happens to be owned entirely by SE.

And as far as exposure goes, Mario RPG being one of the titles on the "must-have" SNES Mini is way more exposure than Microsoft's digital games or Rare Replay could ever offer, unless people were busting down the retail doors and paying twice retail value for an Xbox or Rare Replay on the secondary market. It's hard to beat the kind of rabid fan demand that Nintendo products bring to the table.

EDIT: Not to mention the kind of people who actually like Banjo weren't necessarily swooned away by the rest of the games Microsoft and their partners have to offer just because they held Banjo at knifepoint in a dark cellar, and likewise, the type of person who wants to play gritty first person action games with their friends online is likely not going to pick up a cartoonish collectathon with obnoxious, repetitive music.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Greetings ****ers it’s ya boi.

One step away from going insane and right now I’ve got Geno on the brain.

What’s new?
Been pretty optimistic in here, honestly. Considering the possibilities are likely pointing to Geno's Mii costume coming with music and a possible upgrade OR Geno himself being a fighter, it's looking pretty good. I'd say the signs are more pointing to him as a fighter, since the most likely period where his costume would be dropped passed right when they penned in more DLC. I'm feelin' good!

I hear this a lot. What the hell happened between Nintendo and Square after SMRPG?
Nintendo's N64 cartridge sizes weren't really enough for Final Fantasy 7 and Square's ambitions. Square decided they were going to release FF7 on the Playstation, as the CD tech had a lot more room and flexibility for them, and Yamauchi basically told them to screw off and never come back. When Iwata became president, he slowly started bringing Square back into the fold, and by the time that he unfortunately passed, things became far more amicable between Nintendo and Square again.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Nintendo's N64 cartridge sizes weren't really enough for Final Fantasy 7 and Square's ambitions. Square decided they were going to release FF7 on the Playstation, as the CD tech had a lot more room and flexibility for them, and Yamauchi basically told them to screw off and never come back. When Iwata became president, he slowly started bringing Square back into the fold, and by the time that he unfortunately passed, things became far more amicable between Nintendo and Square again.
That's kinda fair though, I mean I wouldn't sell a crappy version of an ambitious game if I know I can create a better one on a different platform. That's just business I suppose.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
That's kinda fair though, I mean I wouldn't sell a crappy version of an ambitious game if I know I can create a better one on a different platform. That's just business I suppose.
Completely true. I don't really blame Square for that decision. I moreso blame Yamauchi for being a ****, really. His business decisions were insanely draconic, and it was why third parties had such a hard time working with Nintendo up until the Wii era. Sure, we got third party involvement, but things behind the scenes towards third parties weren't so hot (I mean, look at what happened with Nintendo and Rareware).

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Completely true. I don't really blame Square for that decision. I moreso blame Yamauchi for being a ****, really. His business decisions were insanely draconic, and it was why third parties had such a hard time working with Nintendo up until the Wii era. Sure, we got third party involvement, but things behind the scenes towards third parties weren't so hot (I mean, look at what happened with Nintendo and Rareware).
this piece of news i just read is now making me learn new things about nintendo's 2nd president, i never really thought about it before.

D

Deleted member

I mean, yeah, Final Fantasy 7 being a 13 cartridge experience wasn't gonna work for Nintendo, Square, or the consumer. Shame, since if they hadn't spurned Square, the N64 disc drive might have been a much bigger success and we wouldn't have seen the bleak Gamecube Era that we ended up getting.

I always think of Mario RPG as a symbol of a future that never happened, or more accurately given the situation now, a future that has a chance to happen again. In a corny way, Geno is more than just some side character from one game, he's a handshake given form. Thinking about him like that is one of the things that keeps me from just losing all hope entirely, because as a symbol of a partnership, there's no better time to bring him back.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
There have been as many re-releases for Banjo & Kazooie as for Super Mario RPG. The Xbox 360 re-release in 2008 (the same year as Super Mario RPG was re-released for the first time funnily enough), the Xbox One backwards compatibility release (roughly equivalent to the Wii U release), and then Rare Replay (similarly packaged in with other games like Super Mario RPG as part of the SNES Classic).

And I don't think it's much of a slight, plenty of Smash fans don't play half the things they support in speculation lol.
Oh okay I forgot about the backwards comparability release I think. Even then that's still a decent enough chance for fans of all ages to have played SMRPG that the assertion doesn't feel deserved. I agree there are a lot of fans who don't play the things they support but I'm saying that more often than not that's one of the biggest criticisms people have about Geno getting in the game and his fanbase specifically of being bandwagon-y and never having played the game because said game came out in 1996.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Oh okay I forgot about the backwards comparability release I think. Even then that's still a decent enough chance for fans of all ages to have played SMRPG that the assertion doesn't feel deserved. I agree there are a lot of fans who don't play the things they support but I'm saying that more often than not that's one of the biggest criticisms people have about Geno getting in the game and his fanbase specifically of being bandwagon-y and never having played the game because said game came out in 1996.
I honestly don't get that flimsy 'logic'. Even as a little girl, I played things on the NES, stuff from way before I was born. What, just because a person was born in the year 2000 or later, they aren't capable of playing a game from 1996, therefore making them a bandwagoner? It's pretty silly.

Welp, I guess I can't be a fan of classic Castlevania because that was before my time, therefore I'm a bandwagoner who doesn't deserve to play as Simon Belmont in Smash.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
She is everywhere including where she truly belongs

In my heart

ETA: Also important Geno propaganda, share it with those you love

I can't get that ****ing song out of my head. No matter what I do there's just an endless loop of "I've heard the story over and over again". It's been like two weeks since the movie came out and my brain just cannot erase it from my mind. Even when I'm trying to go to bed, Spinel is there "READY OR NOT LEEEET'S BEGIN"

D

Deleted member

Welp, I guess I can't be a fan of classic Castlevania because that was before my time, therefore I'm a bandwagoner who doesn't deserve to play as Simon Belmont in Smash.
Nope, absolutely against the rules. Gonna have to play a trashy zoomer pick while the rest of us real gamers play the big boys, the legends, the...

I haven't actually played Rondo of Blood.

D

Deleted member

She is everywhere including where she truly belongs

In my heart

ETA: Also important Geno propaganda, share it with those you love

Tomato Soup.
Greetings ****ers it’s ya boi.

One step away from going insane and right now I’ve got Geno on the brain.

What’s new?
Oi Noipoi! Welcome back to the Geno thread!

As for Geno himself and his potential inclusion for Smash there are quite a few things going for him which is really great and he very well may be in the best situation he's been in awhile.

-The Banjo and Hero directs were filmed alongside each other and so the no Geno Mii Costume plus More DLC coming reveals line up well with each other
-A Beware the Forests Mushrooms remix was taken down alongside a Megalovania remix (Sans Mii Costume) and Banjo-Kazooie remix (Banjo is in Smash) and that seems to imply we'll at least get something
-If the music means something we'll at least get two tracks with Geno as a Mii Costume or we do get Geno as an additional DLC character and I doubt Square would bundle two songs and an updated Mii Costume (like Sans' Mii Costume) for only .75 cents and Sakurai said all Mii Costumes would cost that much
-Spirits probably don't disconfirm additional DLC characters
-Sakurai and co not only know of Geno's popularity but Sakurai also wants him and even Nintendo knows of his popularity
-And so many other things

It's going good for Geno really good in fact but I am a little worried we'll get the Mii Costume anyways so I'm not counting that possibility out until after the FP is done which we still have 2 characters left but objectively it's going well for him.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I honestly don't get that flimsy 'logic'. Even as a little girl, I played things on the NES, stuff from way before I was born. What, just because a person was born in the year 2000 or later, they aren't capable of playing a game from 1996, therefore making them a bandwagoner? It's pretty silly.

Exactly! Like that weak **** really is the best people can come up with why Geno doesn't deserve to be in Smash.

"All those votes Geno gets in Smash polls don't *really* count because the people voting for him are totally fake fans who never played the game because the game is old and it's inconceivable that people will have played games that came out on an older system or *gasp* before they were born. Unlike [random character] who actually deserves to get into smash because blahblahblah"

It's just the same dismissive bull**** with a different coat of paint.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
It's too late to be worried about "advertising for the competition" when you have Joker and Cloud who are both getting games exclusively for the PlayStation brand.

Considering the wording Sakurai uses "The goal is moving further away" and "I'd like to continue making more character as long as I possibly can". I think we'll be getting more than 3 or 5 characters and we do have a goal as of now for 10 more characters if the WOL Dummy slot numbers do not change through updates. Geno and Sora both have great chances of making it since Sakurai is a fan of Kingdom Hearts and spoke about wanting Geno since Brawl.
FFVII Remake is not a PS exclusive. P5R is most likely timed too. I don't recall seeing the play it only on PS4 tag they use for their exclusives.
Sony hasn't put any of them in the exclusives section of their site either.

On a side note, people shouldn't be taking Sora as any obstacle for Geno whatsoever. He is a Disney character, not a SE one. He relies on Nomura for approval, but this doesn't stop a true SE char to come by later.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Exactly! Like that weak **** really is the best people can come up with why Geno doesn't deserve to be in Smash.

"All those votes Geno gets in Smash polls don't *really* count because the people voting for him are totally fake fans who never played the game because the game is old and it's inconceivable that people will have played games that came out on an older system or *gasp* before they were born. Unlike [random character] who actually deserves to get into smash because blahblahblah"

It's just the same dismissive bull**** with a different coat of paint.
*shows character's high position on fanpolls and other general statistics that show popularity*

other person: "nah man those are just trolls and bandwagoners, they don't like the character; just shut up about it."

me:

Geno.png

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
FFVII Remake is not a PS exclusive. P5R is most likely timed too. I don't recall seeing the play it only on PS4 tag they use for their exclusives.

On a side note, people shouldn't be taking Sora as any obstacle for Geno whatsoever. He is a Disney character, not a SE one. He relies on Nomura for approval, but this doesn't stop a true SE char to come by later.
That's not really accurate. Sora is an SE character. At most he's an SE/Disney character in the same way that Geno is an SE/Nintendo character. SE owns their rights and they ultimately decide whether they'll get into Smash along with Nintendo. I guess Disney might have to give approval as well but calling Sora not a SE character is objectively wrong.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I hear this a lot. What the hell happened between Nintendo and Square after SMRPG?
Well, ya see, Square wanted to have an open relationship with CDs but Nintendo was a prude and wanted to cling to the good old-fashioned game cartridges. I guess one thing led to another, words were said, hearts were broken, and Nintendo ended up losing Geno in the divorce. Things only got more bitter from there. Geno's new step brother, Cloud, started to get all the attention. And why wouldn't he? He was the star quarterback, taking on Shinra and lookin' so edgy. I mean, just look at that hair! People pay good money for those spikes! Anywho, Geno went full Cinderella, slumming it in the basement alone while Square continued to neglect the crap out of him. Fortunately, Nintendo never forgot about him. While Square was busy preening at the salon and making Dissidia, Nintendo was paying child support, awaiting the day when Geno would finally be old enough to move out and support himself working at Smash Bros. Now if only we could get him to pass the interview...

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
I can't get that ****ing song out of my head. No matter what I do there's just an endless loop of "I've heard the story over and over again". It's been like two weeks since the movie came out and my brain just cannot erase it from my mind. Even when I'm trying to go to bed, Spinel is there "READY OR NOT LEEEET'S BEGIN"
Same here, but with the Backstory song and one specific lane at the end of the movie, I was crying like a baby and I'd it again :(

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
That's not really accurate. Sora is an SE character. At most he's an SE/Disney character in the same way that Geno is an SE/Nintendo character. SE owns their rights and they ultimately decide whether they'll get into Smash along with Nintendo. I guess Disney might have to give approval as well but calling Sora not a SE character is objectively wrong.
I think you might need to review your facts there.
Sora is a Disney owned character. Square-Enix holds rights over the games themselves, but the IP is Disney.
Disney has expressed numerous times they consult Nomura out of respect. They are able to do what they want with Sora.
He is a character created by SE, but legally speaking, he is Disney, not SE. Check the concerts and other related content.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Quick google search says it's a PlayStation 4 exclusive.

meow.png

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Of course Microsoft, who commonly gets their name abbreviated as "M$" is gonna release a fan favorite retro game that they have total rights to, it's not even a question. On the flip side, I think the fact Nintendo has managed to re-release Mario RPG at all speaks volumes for its popularity and what Nintendo thinks about it as a legendary title, pun not intended. After the SNES era and up to recently, it isn't like Square and Nintendo have necessarily been on the friendliest terms, and I could see SE doing something petty like simply not letting them use a Mario game in which likely more than half of the content happens to be owned entirely by SE.

And as far as exposure goes, Mario RPG being one of the titles on the "must-have" SNES Mini is way more exposure than Microsoft's digital games or Rare Replay could ever offer, unless people were busting down the retail doors and paying twice retail value for an Xbox or Rare Replay on the secondary market. It's hard to beat the kind of rabid fan demand that Nintendo products bring to the table.

EDIT: Not to mention the kind of people who actually like Banjo weren't necessarily swooned away by the rest of the games Microsoft and their partners have to offer just because they held Banjo at knifepoint in a dark cellar, and likewise, the type of person who wants to play gritty first person action games with their friends online is likely not going to pick up a cartoonish collectathon with obnoxious, repetitive music.
How are you this engrossed in "console war bull****" in 2019? Calling Microsoft M$ and acting like people who play Xbox are only dude bros who only like shooters is not a good look in the least bit and isn't true either.

I also don't agree that it shows a whole lot. By 2008, Square Enix and Nintendo had been working together on pretty damn good terms for 6 years. It's a narrative I see peddled a lot, but realistically, Square Enix was releasing a lot of titles on Nintendo's portable consoles and were one of the strongest third party supporters of the GBA/DS era. Nintendo just hasn't had a console powerful enough to accommodate their major titles (which traditionally have run not great on other consoles) as well. They're businesses that realize the benefits of working together, and even in Japan where things may be taken more seriously, Nintendo generally understands how much they were in the wrong in that era.

Nintendo went into the 1990s with an impossibly large hubris and proceeded to get hit with huge amounts of karma for it. Nintendo was an extremely rigid company in the NES/SNES era that demanded their way or the highway. They limited how many games publishers could release in a single year, they forced all content to meet their personal guidelines for content (which was strict and somewhat draconian in how much content they wouldn't allow, not just hyper violence or pornographic types of content, but references to religion or things that were too political too), and it cost a pretty penny to produce for Nintendo. Some of this had been necessary measures for revitalizing consumer confidence in the US video game market in the mid-1980s... but their policies were not the most popular. These guidelines weren't as strict in Japan mind you, but they earned a pretty ruthless reputation all the same and still didn't always get along super well with third parties.

I could get into this a whole lot more (I have written a longer academic paper on this time period if you're interested haha). But Nintendo just kept pushing harder and harder with things like lawsuits and even (allegedly) instigating the US Senate hearings on adult and violent content in video games (specifically in opposition to Sega who was much more free with their products and were becoming a serious competitor to Nintendo's market share at the time). Eventually Nintendo partnered with Sony to make a CD add-on for the SNES, but got cold feet about the add-on and the rights to those games potentially lying more with Sony than they were comfortable with, so they backed out. Sony took that technology and made the Playstation and offered a much more open, modern, and friendly alternative to Nintendo and Sega. Nintendo then drug their feet on getting the N64 out (a full year after the PS1) and went with cartridges because they could maintain their usual control over the industry with owning all the production, they could load faster than CDs, and they were harder to pirate. The trade-off was that these cartridges couldn't hold much data and couldn't hold higher quality video and music most of the time. Square Enix had an ambitious project plan for Final Fantasy VII... but Nintendo's console wasn't up to the task. The N64-DD was a disk based add-on that Nintendo was developing, but still wasn't remotely close to being ready in time for Square's game.

Square Enix was frustrated with Nintendo and they jumped ship to Sony at that point. They didn't want their ambition to be stifled and like I said, Nintendo had not been popular during the 80s and 90s. Nintendo naturally was extremely upset and basically threw a fit that put them on rough terms for the rest of the N64's lifecycle. That's generally how Nintendo lost all their third party support. Years of mistreating them and holding them to standards the companies didn't agree with meant lots of developers/publishers were very willing to jump ship when the going got rough for Nintendo. And they absolutely messed up with the N64 and gave a huge amount of the video game market share to Sony's PS1. It was clear the PS1 was going to be a success and could handle the more ambitious video based projects of the time (even though the N64 was more powerful overall), so they took their business to the more successful and cheaper to produce for PS1.

Nintendo more or less holds most of the blame for splintering their relationship with third parties, and Square Enix was one of the huge ones, especially once Final Fantasy VII proved to be a massive hit on Sony's console in a way that it never had been on the SNES.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Search “FFVII remake Xbox One” or replace the Xbox One with Switch or PC and you’ll see articles basically saying they’ll keep their options open. Same applies for P5R
That doesn't mean it's confirmed for other consoles though. Publishers can say this and nothing may come from it.

Quick Google search shows what is confirmed as of now. Why put a platform there which has no announced port yet?
Exactly so it's a PlayStation exclusive right now. Once they announce the game on other consoles, then it'll be a multiplatform game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom