• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I feel like asking a particularly evil question.

You have a choice: Geno in Smash, or a SMRPG remaster. Either or, you cannot have both, if one happens, the other will never happen.

As consolation prizes, if Geno is in Smash, we will get vanilla Mario RPG re-released on the Switch. If we get the remake, Geno's Mii costume will return.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

You have a choice: Geno in Smash, or a SMRPG remaster. Either or, you cannot have both, if one happens, the other will never happen.

As consolation prizes, if Geno is in Smash, we will get vanilla Mario RPG re-released on the Switch. If we get the remake, Geno's Mii costume will return.
Geno in Smash, because you said that there will never be a SMRPG remaster, so that does not exempt possible sequels that could come from Geno getting recognition from Smash. Losing a remaster opportunity would suck, but it's not the absolute worse trade-off.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Geno in Smash, because you said that there will never be a SMRPG remaster, so that does not exempt possible sequels that could come from Geno getting recognition from Smash. Losing a remaster opportunity would suck, but it's not the absolute worse trade-off.
200 IQ play right here.

Loog

Smash Apprentice
In an effort to stimulate discussion, I posit the following question: If you had to pick another Mario RPG character to be in smash, who would you choose, and what would their moveset be?

Hardmode: you can't pick mallow, fawful, boshi or booster.

Midbus would work well as a semiclone of bowser who breathes ice instead of fire.

Cackletta could be a fun character too involving magic. She strikes lightning down and can create black holes so she can be more of a trap style character.

D

Deleted member

Geno in Smash. Even if we don't get a Remaster we could still get a Sequel and I just prefer Smash it's one of my favorite games and to have my favorite fictional character in Smash would be amazing and I would love to see the crazy things the character could do in Competitive play. I'd love to see big name players take Geno to the top and I would love to take him to the top if possible. So yeah Geno in Smash.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I would want Geno in Smash over a remaster. Part of me just wants him immortalized as one of the greatest Nintendo characters of all time. It's also what most of us have been working hard to get accomplished for years so it seems like the end goal for me.

D

Deleted member

In an effort to stimulate discussion, I posit the following question: If you had to pick another Mario RPG character to be in smash, who would you choose, and what would their moveset be?

SMRPG: Johnathan Jones
M&L: Midbus

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Geno in Smash. Granted I haven't played SMRPG but I want to see this fanbase get hyped.

And besides, Geno being in Smash solidifies him as a legacy character and opens the door for him in to Mario spinoffs (maybe even mainline titles as well if we're very lucky).

Firox

Smash Master
Geno in Smash. Granted I haven't played SMRPG but I want to see this fanbase get hyped.

And besides, Geno being in Smash solidifies him as a legacy character and opens the door for him in to Mario spinoffs (maybe even mainline titles as well if we're very lucky).
This. I feel that being in Smash gives him a lot more leverage into other media than simply appearing in a remaster the same way he did before.

vivala

Smash Journeyman

Geno in smash for sure. I honestly don't feel like SMRPG needs a remake/remaster. Its early 3d isometric graphics, crunchy sound effects, and unique art style are a big part of its identity and I feel like that would be lost in a remake. Kinda like how Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions didn't feel quite right.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
By the way, Bubble Bobble's getting a new game! :bubblebobble:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...he_way_from_taito_and_its_exclusive_to_switch

Geno in Smash, no contest. AlphaDream isn't in well enough shape to do a new Mario RPG, let alone a SMRPG remaster, and they were rusty enough as is coming from Paper Jam.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord

Pssh, easy. Cackletta. Fawful and Mallow would be my first choice though.

Lightning Blast for neutral special.
Heart Flight for recover (fires her soul into the air and she teleports to her soul)
Black Hole for down special(has a black hole slide across the floor before it "bites" the opponent)
Bean Bean Bash for side special (uses Fawful as a club and spins around for a moment before hurling him)
Final Smash: Surprisingly not Bowletta. She grows big and looms over the stage as she fires lightning bolts from the sky as Fawful runs around and tries to smack enemies into them.

Taunts:
1) Cackles loudly as she makes that face
2) Would look at Fawful, who appears behind her, before she shoos him away.
3) Grows monstrous for a second before going back to normal.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Geno in Smash. The original Super Mario RPG is already good enough and doesn't need any polishing so I see it as a win-win.

How about this? Geno for Smash or Geno appearing in another game? If you pick Geno for Smash, he will never appear in another game ever again and if you pick Geno appearing in another game, He will become a regular in the mario series but he will never be in Smash.

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019

Paper Mario taking inspiration from all of Mario's RPG incarnations. Complete with hammer, shell kicking, and jump moves.

Geno in Smash. I don't think SMRPG needs to be remastered.

D

Deleted member

Geno in Smash. The original Super Mario RPG is already good enough and doesn't need any polishing so I see it as a win-win.

How about this? Geno for Smash or Geno appearing in another game? If you pick Geno for Smash, he will never appear in another game ever again and if you pick Geno appearing in another game, He will become a regular in the mario series but he will never be in Smash.
So when you say he'll never appear again does that include other Smash games or? Cause if so then the Mario series easily but if not? Well if he became a Staple of the Smash franchise if I choose Smash then I'd probably go with Smash honestly.

Last edited by a moderator:

MisterMike

Smash Champion

Geno in Smash. Honestly, this doesn't sound like a hard descision to make.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Does the fact that Petey Piranha has 2 spirits and is still a part of Piranha Plant's deconfirm the idea that spirits deconfirm (never believed the idea but I just think this is good evidence for geno and the other spirits who would be good as fighters)
You know, that's an interesting point. Granted, Petey Piranha is PP's final smash, but still, I think it's some decent evidence against the spirit-deconfirm theory. Even more interesting is the stipulation that PP was basically meant for base game and thus would have been planned on during the time spirits were being decided, unlike the rest of the DLC.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
You know, that's an interesting point. Granted, Petey Piranha is PP's final smash, but still, I think it's some decent evidence against the spirit-deconfirm theory. Even more interesting is the stipulation that PP was basically meant for base game and thus would have been planned on during the time spirits were being decided, unlike the rest of the DLC.
Petey has two spirits?

Koopaul

Smash Champion
People would rather have a character in Smash than having their beloved game where they came from return? What?

Maybe it's just me, but Smash isn't the be all end all for video game characters. It's much more important that those characters get a game of their own than to appear in this game. I love Banjo in Smash, I've always dreamed of it and I am incredibly thankful for it. But if I was given a choice between Banjo in Smash or a Banjo-Kazooie revival? I'd take the latter of course!

But obviously BOTH is the best option.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master

i challanged myself to come up with something very unique
probably i want Smithy he is a shapeshifter fighter which is very unique i even tried to make game sprites for fangame mod but at the end i stopped since it takes a long time to make the whole sprite sheet moveset for him but the 3D model of Smithy that i made was very helpful to create these:-
entrance:

idle:

walk:

my take on Smithy is that his specials would change his heads and each form has different stats also his moveset is combination of physical and projectile attacks
Neutral special -Magnum-: changes to the tank head and increase physical attacks and defense and decrease projectile attacks (except this bullet) and it would be similar to Bowser jr. but way faster the bullet goes and it has a chance for a 1 hit KO and another thing is while holding neutral special you could shoot the bullet backwards since the tank head rotates.
https://www.mariowiki.com/images/b/b9/RPG_Magnum.png
Side special -Spear Rain-: changes to the wizard head and increase physical and projectile attacks and decrease defense x2 the attacks comes from the sky you could position the area where the spear would fall the more you hold the side special the more spears fall from the sky also the head part would be in electricity when using the side special so don't go for the head when the attack is used.
https://www.mariowiki.com/images/0/0a/RPG_Spear_Rain.png
Up special -Random spell-: changes to the treasure head and increase defense and decrease projectile attacks the head opens shows a random element that could cause an affect for 10 seconds or less depending on how close you are to Smithy when the up special was used the affects are:
-poison effect and give them the "ouch" expression.
-fear affect which would cut their attack and defense in half and give them the surprised expression.
-mute affect which would cause them to not use any attack just moving around and jumping and sheilding and dodging.
-scarecrow affect which would transfom them into scarecrow and they would be unable to move but just sheild
also i have to mention the way you recover with this attack is lets say magnet, the top part of the head would be in the sky while you are falling then you would go upward to close the treasure head
https://www.mariowiki.com/images/2/27/Smithy5.gif
Down special -Shredder+Recover-: changes to the mask head and increase defense x2 and decrease physical and projectile attacks this is not actually an attack that deals damage its similar to joker or incineroar but without doing any damage and it heals you instead and also eliminates all beneficial status effects from the one that attacked while you while using the down special so characters like :ultwiifittrainer::ultjoker::ultshulk::ulthero::ultincineroar::ultlucario::ultike::ultcloud: are at disadvantage
https://www.mariowiki.com/images/c/c3/Smithy4.gif
Down smash -Sledge-: similar to Bayonetta i think you can easily picture it in your mind
https://www.mariowiki.com/images/0/00/RPG_Sledge.png
in his other attacks he uses Mega drain and meteor swarm and also uses his finger gun and the hammer.
there is something i also have to point out, to go back to his regular form you need to taunt just like kirby it will bring back his stats back to normal since he isnt using the other forms until you use a special move
https://www.mariowiki.com/images/2/29/Smithy.gif
writing this actually made me a bit tired but it was worth it so for the rest of the attacks i want you to think that it would be a mix between King dedede and Bayonetta and both of them are the sexiest characters in smash lol
alright
Final smash -Exor invasion-: Exor falls from sky and throws up collection of attacks such as flame stones dropping from sky and bolts and the ground is being used blast on which launches you upward and solidify which would freeze you and the final smash will end with corona as the last attack
victory screen? hmm....
i want this
i drew it back in 2016
but a guy can dream right?

Last edited:

Luis27

Smash Apprentice

Geno in smash, SMRPG style is good, and we dont need a remake.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Sakurai did say that the Spirits are the actual characters that lost their bodies and are unable to return to the real world to join the fighters.
Sakurai also said that Spirits are suppose to be way to enjoy characters other than fighters.
Sakurai also said that this is applied this mysterious world that is Smash Bros Ultimate and that all Spirits can do is enhance Fighters, but can't join them.
And I'll bring in this quote that Spirits are "Characters that lost their physical forms, except fighters." So that means if you're a Fighter you can't lose your physical form in the world of Smash Bros Ultimate which is why all the DLC are character who aren't Spirits.

From a lot of ways he describes Spirits it does lean more towards them not being playable at all.
Petey is part of Plant's final smash, but it is clearly his physical form that has "joined" the real world fighting alongside the fighters.

I don't want to dive too much more into this discussion regarding spirits and DLC fighters, but I do think people put too much stock into the Spirits, Fighters and DLC debate. Spirits are essentially the replacement of trophies and shouldn't be read so deeply about what possibilities there are, or not, regarding the current DLC or even future DLC if Nintendo decides.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
People would rather have a character in Smash than having their beloved game where they came from return? What?

Maybe it's just me, but Smash isn't the be all end all for video game characters. It's much more important that those characters get a game of their own than to appear in this game. I love Banjo in Smash, I've always dreamed of it and I am incredibly thankful for it. But if I was given a choice between Banjo in Smash or a Banjo-Kazooie revival? I'd take the latter of course!

If you had this question posed in a thread that isn't specifically reserved for people who support a character joining Smash Bros on a Smash Bros forum maybe you'd get a different answer

Besides, it's possible that if you got a Banjo revival it'd be something like Nuts n Bolts all over again whereas we know Smash is good

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master

See, the thing is, Smash is a gateway. A portal. A rite of passage. Inclusion doesn't just mean becoming a punching bag in some fighting party game. It means that said character has become a member of the pantheon of gaming legends. They gain immortality, modernization, and by extension, MORE GAMES OF THEIR OWN. Hell, I didn't even know what Fire Emblem WAS before melee. Now it's one of my favorite strategy games and the franchise has taken the world by storm. Look at Kid Icarus. Again, no clue what it was, but along came Smash with an amazing new and improved version of Pit that kicked off a 3D sequel that I never knew I wanted. You think Banjo and Kazooie are merely a thing of the past? Well, not anymore! And frankly I think Microsoft would be total idiots not to run with the renewed popularity that Smash will bring to that franchise.

Remasters are great and all, but a cult classic is a cult classic. If the audience for something was never that huge, then simply remaking it won't necessarily bring in the masses like never before. Smash on the other hand has already reached what I call "Bullet Proof" status. Like Mario, or Zelda, or Pokemon. That is, it's become a mainstream juggernaut, critically acclaimed by the gaming community. Even the most obscure or mundane characters to make it there have become icons in their own right, garnering a fanbase that they likely never could have raised on their own. THAT'S why it's so important for Geno to get in. EVERYONE will know him or want to learn more, and by doing so, find the same joy and affection the rest of us have come to know. And let's face it, where there's demand, there's money. And where there's money, there's games. Spin-offs. Sequels. That, my friends....is the endgame.

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Even as someone who doesn't really want a sequel geno for smash easy, it would open way more doors and frankly I'd rather have a full on remake then a remaster anyway

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
So when you say he'll never appear again does that include other Smash games or? Cause if so then the Mario series easily but if not? Well if he became a Staple of the Smash franchise if I choose Smash then I'd probably go with Smash honestly.
With Smash, he may come back or he might not and you'll have to keep living with the uncertainty. At least if he does he'll get to fight with the smash cast and third party characters that would be impossible to imagine in a Mario game.

As a staple of the Mario series, he may be playable or he might not but he will always make an appearance in the side games and frequent appearances in the main games. Imagine like you can't have a Mario game without Geno.

But regardless It seems all priorities are on getting Geno in Smash.

Ctoan

Smash Apprentice

Koopa Bros.
You get to control 4 characters at once. A moves would be various attack formations that get weaker after losing a bro.
Neutral B: Bullet Bill cannon
Side B: Shell attack.
Up B: Sprout Paratroopa wings temporarily.
Down B: Change formation, including the tower information that'll give side b enormous knockback.
Final Smash: Cutscene where they bring in "Bowser???" and they all start fighting over the controls causing it to topple over onto the opposing character.
Does the fact that Petey Piranha has 2 spirits and is still a part of Piranha Plant's deconfirm the idea that spirits deconfirm (never believed the idea but I just think this is good evidence for geno and the other spirits who would be good as fighters)
That's not even the best example. Chrom is just as much a part of Robin as Petey is of Plant. And like I've said before, Geno canonically IS a spirit that inhabits a physical body to be playable. So if any spirit that could become a playable character naturally, it would be Geno.

Have faith guys! We Banjo fans got our character, and ours was just as, if not more impossible than yours (and things are looking good right now for the star spirit too). Mario RPGs still don't have a representative yet, and having one from the first ever one that Sakurai himself has acknowledged for years as a big request gives more relevancy to Geno than you guys think.
Stay strong! ❤

Theanimator10

Smash Cadet
I would want Geno in Smash over a remaster. Part of me just wants him immortalized as one of the greatest Nintendo characters of all time. It's also what most of us have been working hard to get accomplished for years so it seems like the end goal for me.
A lot of people see Geno as a character who appeared in one game over 20 years ago. They see him as a character that is dead, and should stay that way. But if the relationship between Nintendo and Square didn't dissolve, we could be looking at something TOTALLY different here. There is no doubt in my mind that Geno would be a household name by now among all Mario fans and video game fans in general. He could have been one of the most unique and lovable characters of all time within the mario series. He could have easily appeared in more sequels (maybe even a prequel that focuses on his backstory and such), mario party games, mario kart games, and of course smash! He is prolly the coolest mario character in my opinion and is the most interesting. He had HUGE potential and I believe 100%, that he would be among the regular mario family as we know it today, if it weren't for stupid fighting among the two companies.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman

False equivalence with Banjo. If the option was "Banjo in Smash, or a Banjo-Kazooie remaster", would you REALLLLLLY take a remaster of a game you already played, over brand new content that will almost definitely result in renewed interest in the character and increased revival potential?

The question wasn't "Geno in Smash or Geno gets a new game/games", the question was "Geno in Smash or SMRPG remaster", which IMO, is kinda pointless. I mean, FANS could easily make a SMRPG remaster.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord

Yeah id much rather use Geno in smash than use him in the exact same game I’ve been playing for 20+ years with updated graphics.

No question. I can play SMRPG as is for the rest of my life.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
It doesn't count because reasons, same with Kaptain K. Rool

Koopaul

Smash Champion
See, the thing is, Smash is a gateway. A portal. A rite of passage. Inclusion doesn't just mean becoming a punching bag in some fighting party game. It means that said character has become a member of the pantheon of gaming legends. They gain immortality, modernization, and by extension, MORE GAMES OF THEIR OWN. Hell, I didn't even know what Fire Emblem WAS before melee. Now it's one of my favorite strategy games and the franchise has taken the world by storm. Look at Kid Icarus. Again, no clue what it was, but along came Smash with an amazing new and improved version of Pit that kicked off a 3D sequel that I never knew I wanted. You think Banjo and Kazooie are merely a thing of the past? Well, not anymore! And frankly I think Microsoft would be total idiots not to run with the renewed popularity that Smash will bring to that franchise.

Remasters are great and all, but a cult classic is a cult classic. If the audience for something was never that huge, then simply remaking it won't necessarily bring in the masses like never before. Smash on the other hand has already reached what I call "Bullet Proof" status. Like Mario, or Zelda, or Pokemon. That is, it's become a mainstream juggernaut, critically acclaimed by the gaming community. Even the most obscure or mundane characters to make it there have become icons in their own right, garnering a fanbase that they likely never could have raised on their own. THAT'S why it's so important for Geno to get in. EVERYONE will know him or want to learn more, and by doing so, find the same joy and affection the rest of us have come to know. And let's face it, where there's demand, there's money. And where there's money, there's games. Spin-offs. Sequels. That, my friends....is the endgame.
I have to disagree. Where's my new F-Zero? Falcon's been in every Smash and F-Zero is dead. And heck, people don't even like real Captain Falcon, they like Captain Falcon Punch. A completely different character. Just because a few characters got lucky doesn't mean all of them will. In fact, most of them don't. And a lot of the time, I hate to say it, Smash portrays characters poorly. And as a result people get the wrong idea of them. When they star in their own game, chances are they will be portrayed right and you will get an even deeper understanding for who that character is. There's no guarantee that Geno would ever appear again after Smash. We're talking about Square Enix here.

But yeah, I guess a remaster is not that big of a deal. But if it was a sequel, then absolutely. If you had a choice between Geno in Smash and a brand new SMRPG game starring Geno... Well the choice is clear.

And like I said before, both is what everyone wants. But in a hypothetical genie wish kind of thing where you can only get one and never the other, I'd choose the new game.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I have to disagree. Where's my new F-Zero? Falcon's been in every Smash and F-Zero is dead. And heck, people don't even like real Captain Falcon, they like Captain Falcon Punch. A completely different character. Just because a few characters got lucky doesn't mean all of them will. In fact, most of them don't. And a lot of the time, I hate to say it, Smash portrays characters poorly. And as a result people get the wrong idea of them. When they star in their own game, chances are they will be portrayed right and you will get an even deeper understanding for who that character is. There's no guarantee that Geno would ever appear again after Smash. We're talking about Square Enix here.

But yeah, I guess a remaster is not that big of a deal. But if it was a sequel, then absolutely. If you had a choice between Geno in Smash and a brand new SMRPG game starring Geno... Well the choice is clear.

And like I said before, both is what everyone wants. But in a hypothetical genie wish kind of thing where you can only get one and never the other, I'd choose the new game.
I like the real Captain Falcon, and F-Zero as a whole

but I agree on Smash not representing character's personalities so well. Especially since Spirits don't have lore blurbs like Trophies do. for one, Lucina's kind of a ***** when she beats Marth or Ike in a fight, and then Shulk... if I see ONE MORE "I'm really feeling it" meme...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

It'd be nice to get a better looking version of a beloved game, but frankly you can get the game they came from to return any time you pop it into the console. Meanwhile that character in Smash is a thing that doesn't exist yet. So I'd go for that.

I think a more difficult question is would you rather get a sequel or a Smash inclusion (knowing whichever you didn't choose won't happen). I'd go with a Smash inclusion at this point, because I know I'd still play Smash the most. But it's a tough pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom