• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior #Geno4Smash - Everyone's gotta do their part! Vote Geno

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
“I serve… a higher authority…”

This will be the main topic for discussion the character potential of Geno, one of the main characters from the game "Mario RPG" for the Super Nintendo. I'll update as I think up more information or people post something good. For those interested, his Japanese name is "ジーノ", so that's something to look for from Sakurai/ Japanese sources.

The Brawl Geno thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=72298

The entire thread is ALSO posted in the "Credits" section

(Incomplete) Support List
PsychoIncarnate
Freduardo
ChunkyBeef
CaptainLucario
Oblivion129
Staarih
Frontiers
Darkfur
kiteinthesky
CF711

by N3ON

C'mon Everyone's gotta do their part!

Geno has only had 2 appearances in the Mario universe, the second being a cameo in Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga. Despite that, during the days of Brawl, the many who grew up with Mario RPG and remembered it's pure awesomeness rose up and spread their passionate cry out to Nintendo. -Which Nintendo heard faintly, but ignored. However, Brawl's legwork had already been laid at that point and it was too late for them to change much. It's a new generation and Geno followers can hope and pray their savior shall return. Legally, Geno is a Square-Enix character. But in the eyes of Nintendo and even Square themselves, he's a Mario character. I believe that matters most of all, and it could happen if they make the effort.

Geno, after all, saved the mushroom kingdom from danger and continued to raise to the heavens. Before his heavenly ascension, Geno vowed to return one day and cast judgement on those that threatened the world.

Mario RPG was more or less a beginners RPG. Though far from the horrid that is FF: Mystic Quest. However, it's execution was wonderful and used a pseudo 3D technique that was graphically impressive at the time. It was developed by Square-Enix, who were gods among gaming companies at the time and represented their love child with Nintendo, who had been their greatest supporters (Before they fell out in the 64 era). Because of the above, Mario RPG is remembered by a generation.

The character of "Geno" is first seen descending from the heavens as a sword crashes through it straight into Bowser's Castle. The dark mechanical armies of "Smithy" have invaded from their horribly twisted universe to lay waste to the (more or less) peaceful lands. The character at this time is actually a star spirit, and doesn't take the form of Geno until he possesses the toy of a child, and takes the toys name. His own name at that point in unpronounceable (♥♪!?) by humans or mushroom people for that matter. Yes, he's a spiritually possessed doll. Think of Pinocchio in some kind of twisted universe (or Puppetmon). When it comes down to it, Mario may be the hero of the game but it's more or less Geno's story. Mario is just being dragged along, especially when he finds the princess.

The Doll form of Geno appears in cameo form in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga in the mini game "Star 'Stached Smash".

Geno has too much move potential, and a large variety of ways to attack that it's difficult to make a single moveset for him. He uses energy attacks, magic, and guns/ cannons. He could be a ancient, almost steampunk-like, fighter with hidden traps and weapons. A very unpredictable style in that. Think of the puppet masters from Naruto and their various unique ways of fighting.

Potential moves:
Cannon Ball - My idea for Forward smash, similar to snake having ranged smashes. It could have a short range before falling in a small arc. Or something
Pellet shot - My idea for rabid A. He fires pellets from his fingers in a motion where his hand goes up and down. The pellets disintegrate after a short distance.
Rocket Arm - Commonly used for robots in anime. Could also be a potential forward Smash. I've also seen it used as a special in some people's sets.
Star Shot - Geno's ultimate weapon in the game. It shoots out stars and can appear in a number of incarnations I can think of. An effect could also be used for attacks with star looking particles, for example.
Geno Beam - A charging attack in my set. Geno is forced to stand still and charge up energy. Than unleashes in a laser like beam that can be moves around like Lucario's Final Smash
Geno Boost - A buffing technique in the game. Perhaps a Down special that increases his attack?
Geno Whirl - Infamous technique that delt 9999 damage if timed right. Some people say it should be his final smash because of that, but I feel it's more of a forward smash type of thing.
Geno Blast - Another potential Final smash or special. Summons light from the sky that deals damage to the area around him
Geno Flash - THE idea for his Final Smash. Turn into a cannon and fires a powerful blast of light that increases in size, harming all in it's path.

Here is a general example of a Geno moveset made by McFox during the Brawl days - When I complete my own (It's similar but disagrees in some areas) I'll post it as well. I also have some ideas for alternate movesets based on different attributes of Geno:
A - Standard punch.
A-A - One-two punch.
A-A-A-repeated - Geno's hands suck in, and he starts blasting stars out of his arms. This is a combo attack, and the stars do not travel very far before disappearing.

Tilt-A-Up - Geno kicks straight up with one leg, similar to Sheik. Considering he's only a doll, he should be the most flexible character in the game. :p
Tilt-A-forward - Geno does the finger shot. Several pellets shoot out of his four fingers, traveling a short distance before disappearing.
Tilt-A-Down - A sweeping ground kick, similar to Ness.

Smash-A-Up - Geno sticks both hands straight up, and then spreads them, leaving a trail of stars where his hands were. Has a high knockback.
Smash-A-Forward - Geno fires his hand straight forward. It travels a good distance before disappearing and reappearing back on his arm.
Smash-A-Down - Geno does a split, kicking both legs out sideways.

Aerial-A-Neutral - Geno spins in a circle, with arms outstretched. His hands emit a small trail of stars.
Aerial-A-Up - Geno flips, kicking, like Kirby.
Aerial-A-Forward - Geno kicks both feet forward, perpendicular to the screen.
Aerial-A-Down - Geno does his finger shot straight down. The pellets travel a small distance before disappearing.
Aerial-A-Backward - Geno kicks one foot backwards, spinning in a circle.

B-Neutral - Geno charges up the Geno Beam. The longer you hold it, the more powerful the move gets (until it gets to its maximum charge, that is). The move, unlike other "shooting" moves like Samus' Charge Shot or Mewtwo's Shadow Ball, shoots across the entire stage, staying attached to Geno during the duration of the attack. To make up for it's large range, it's a relatively slow-moving attack.
B-Up - Geno spreads his arms and flies upward. A trail of stars extends behind him, which damages opponents until they disappear.
B-Forward The Geno Whirl, from Mario RPG. Geno swings his arm in a horizontal arc, sending a series of circles across the stage horizontally. This is a very quick-move. Also, if you press B again at the exact right instant, anyone hit by the Whirl's damage goes straight to 999% (Just kidding. ;))
B-Down - The Geno Blast. Geno plants himself, and a series of multicolored lights rain down from the heavens on either side of him.

Super Move - The Geno Flash. Geno turns into a cannon, and shoots a spark into the center of the stage. The spark grows a face, blinks, and then explodes.
Geno's stats from his game

• Level - 6
  • HP - 45
  • Speed - 30
  • Attack - 60
  • Defense - 23
  • Magic Attack - 25
  • Magic Defense - 17
  • Special Attacks-
    • Geno Beam-
      • FP Required - 3
      • Magic Power - 40
      • Description - Geno shoots an energy beam at one enemy. Hold Y until three stars appear.
as you can see (Or not depending if you understand Mario RPG's stat distribution), Geno is pure offensive and fairly fast. He could potentially be a glass cannon of sorts? The "Thief" or "Assassin" or the game, if you will. Geno is the fastest character in the game, beating out Mario and the strongest character in the game, beating out Bowser. Though his ultimate weapon is no comparison to Mario's "Lazy Shell" (Though that's technically a secret weapon anyway)

Alternate Costume Ideas:

In conclusion, Geno has the potential and could make a wonderful character for Smash. He's more obscure than some of the other characters in the Mario universe, but gained a strong cult following throughout the years that have passion for gaming and great games/ characters from the past.

Characters in other media to come to your attention:
Puppet Masters from Naruto

Puppetmon from Digimon

Pinocchio from Ever After (SNAFU comics/ Deviant art)

Geno in other media:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7qy2XwUDIo こんにちは桜井さん (Dear Masahiro Sakurai)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBMYR4kJk94 (Geno in Brawl...or else...) - You want to know why Brawl wasn't awesome - They didn't add Geno
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/333390 (Geno Move Generator) - A Flash made during Brawl to represent someone's version of a moveset
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lni0rfv_CHA (Rawest Forest) - A mix of the Mushroom Forest theme with Lyrics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grDgWVpZdd4&feature=related (Waltz of the Forest) - A remake of the above song by the same author years later
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj8zw8rrUhM (Beware the Forest Mushrooms) - Geno's "Theme". Associated him because of the maze Geno leads you through
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/443000 (Geno X Dedede) - A fun little flash I found of a battle between Geno and Dedede
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/528856 (Geno X Dedede 2) - The sequel to above. It promises a 3rd that was never released
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OFEVYVBZaA&feature=related (Magic Geno Tribute) - A video someone put together of various Geno fan art
There is a Mario RPG Hentai-Manga thing. No, I am not going to link it. Rule 34

Credits
Woo, the official Geno thread!

This thread will encompass all specific talk about Geno, the star-possessed scarecrow doll from Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars! So let's get right to it:

List of games Geno has appeared in:
  • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
  • Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
So that's it. :p

Geno as he appeared in Mario RPG.

Geno as he appeared in Superstar Saga.

Geno as he appeared in this picture that I drew. :p

Geno would make an excellent addition to the Smash Brothers series. He could easily be a short-range fighter with some projectile attacks. The character from Melee he'd be most like is probably Ness. He'd have similar height and weight as Ness, and probably also have a non-traditional second jump.

Since I love the character so much, I've decided to make an entire moveset for him. :p So here we go...

A - Standard punch.
A-A - One-two punch.
A-A-A-repeated - Geno's hands suck in, and he starts blasting stars out of his arms. This is a combo attack, and the stars do not travel very far before disappearing.

Tilt-A-Up - Geno kicks straight up with one leg, similar to Sheik. Considering he's only a doll, he should be the most flexible character in the game. :p
Tilt-A-forward - Geno does the finger shot. Several pellets shoot out of his four fingers, traveling a short distance before disappearing.
Tilt-A-Down - A sweeping ground kick, similar to Ness.

Smash-A-Up - Geno sticks both hands straight up, and then spreads them, leaving a trail of stars where his hands were. Has a high knockback.
Smash-A-Forward - Geno fires his hand straight forward. It travels a good distance before disappearing and reappearing back on his arm.
Smash-A-Down - Geno does a split, kicking both legs out sideways.

Aerial-A-Neutral - Geno spins in a circle, with arms outstretched. His hands emit a small trail of stars.
Aerial-A-Up - Geno flips, kicking, like Kirby.
Aerial-A-Forward - Geno kicks both feet forward, perpendicular to the screen.
Aerial-A-Down - Geno does his finger shot straight down. The pellets travel a small distance before disappearing.
Aerial-A-Backward - Geno kicks one foot backwards, spinning in a circle.

B-Neutral - Geno charges up the Geno Beam. The longer you hold it, the more powerful the move gets (until it gets to its maximum charge, that is). The move, unlike other "shooting" moves like Samus' Charge Shot or Mewtwo's Shadow Ball, shoots across the entire stage, staying attached to Geno during the duration of the attack. To make up for it's large range, it's a relatively slow-moving attack.
B-Up - Geno spreads his arms and flies upward. A trail of stars extends behind him, which damages opponents until they disappear.
B-Forward The Geno Whirl, from Mario RPG. Geno swings his arm in a horizontal arc, sending a series of circles across the stage horizontally. This is a very quick-move. Also, if you press B again at the exact right instant, anyone hit by the Whirl's damage goes straight to 999% (Just kidding. ;))
B-Down - The Geno Blast. Geno plants himself, and a series of multicolored lights rain down from the heavens on either side of him.

Super Move - The Geno Flash. Geno turns into a cannon, and shoots a spark into the center of the stage. The spark grows a face, blinks, and then explodes.

Check the Flash version!

I would love playing as this character. Too bad I'm not working on this game. Not that my ideas are better than other people's, just that I would love working on the game. :p

Here's hoping we see our favorite star-powered hero appearing in Brawl! :)

*EDIT* I contacted Nintendo about who owns Geno:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo representative
Hello and thank you for contacting Nintendo,

Sorry that our response was not clear. The characters in the Super Smash Bros game are not all the property of Nintendo. They generally remain the property of the company that originally created them. While Geno and Mallow originally appeared in a game that was marketed by Nintendo, the title was designed and programmed by Square Soft. Geno and Mallow would still remain as the intellectual property of Square-Enix (the current name). Unfortunately, we have not heard any information that would support any rumors of Nintendo acquiring these characters.

Thanks for your email and good luck with all your games!

So, as of now, Geno is still the property of Square-Enix. That being the case, Square would have to lend Geno back to Nintendo in order for him to appear in Smash.

That said, I see no reason why Square would not lend the character. However, there was a ton of confusion about the subject, so I went right to the source. Geno is currently owned by Square.

*EDIT* So, Snakz has been putting together some new stuff in the thread, so I'm quoting a post of his here without using the actual quote stuff. The following is all done by Snakz:

Alrighty, here's the list of members so far, and i've added my rant, enjoy!

Go ahead an critique the rant, i could use it, and if you wana make any edits yourself, go ahead, just be sure to tell me what you've edited and why

Im probably missing a lot of names here so if i forgot you, or you'd like to be added, just tell me

The ♥♪!? Alliance
a.k.a. The Geno Alliance
"Servitors of a Higher Authority"

Thread Creator: McFox (obviously)

Brawlman
Chi's Finest
Copperpot
Dhaka
DynamiteSpoony
Enigma14
FericeDeityWolf
Foz
genosall
GenoStrike
GhostAnime
hemightbegiant
JesterBox
Loooooni
Mcpuff
Oshiro Akina
paralasalud
prettymanfairy
PsychoIncarnate
Ralph Marquee
Shadowbolt
Sinn
Snakz
SonicSpeed
Sponge
Super Mario Whirled
TBone06
vesperview

Geno for Brawl: Arguments from Both Sides
By Snakz

Geno’s got a lot of things going for him, I’ll mention the arguments for him, but really this is meant to tackle the arguments against him.

Pro:

1) Geno is unique in character

If you want to know who Geno is, ill give you a summary. Geno, who’s true name is actually ♥♪!? is a star spirit/guardian that came from Star Road, a place that makes wishes come true. Star Road was destroyed by Smithy when he drove the giant sword, Exor through and shattered it into 7 stars, all of which landed on Earth. So he came down to Earth and possessed a doll name Geno to collect the stars and eventually, with Mario’s help, he defeated Smithy and restored order to Star Road and Earth.

Now Geno has a very likable and strong personality, were it not for Mario, I’m sure Geno would’ve been just fine being the leader of the party, since he seems to have that quality. Now his background is undeniably unique, and anyone who says he’s not unique enough for Brawl should go play SMRPG. If they finished it and are still not convinced, you should consider therapy.

2) Extremely easy to make a moveset for

If you haven’t taken time out of your busy schedule, I suggest taking a few clicks and looking at McFox’s moveset for Geno. In terms of special moves, moveset is pretty much the same moveset that most people have for Geno. As for the rest, there are usually a lot of similarities between what McFox has and what others have, but people do get pretty creative with the rest of his moves. Either way, Geno is probably one of the easiest characters to make a moveset for and would deffinetly not be a problem adding him into Brawl on a technical stand point.

3) Geno is tied for 2nd place on Sakurai’s poll

This is probably the best argument for Geno on the more political side of things. Next to Sonic, Geno is the most requested 3rd party character on the poll (and he’s not even purely 3rd party, more on that later). Without this, Geno’s fans would be getting shot down left and right because people would claim he doesn’t have a strong standing on the poll, and since many people don’t know him, he wouldn’t stand a chance. But because he tied with such contenders as Ike and Diddy Kong (who are confirmed), this is a strong case.

** Now there is one more thing I’d like to add about the relationship between Nintendo and Square-Enix. There’s been a lot of people saying the they are getting things better between each other now and other people saying they’re relationship isn’t as good as it was. If there’s one thing we can make a fact of is this; if SMRPG is coming to the Virtual Console, that’s has to say something about the two companies having a good enough relationship to agree to re-release SMRPG to the VC.

Con:

1) Nobody's heard of him

This argument right off the bat is so weak, every time I hear this arguement being used it makes me want to choke puppies. We have so many examples of this factor not being an issue. First off, we have Geno’s poll numbers, tied for second. CLEARLY, enough people have heard of Geno for them to believe he deserves a spot in Brawl. Secondly, don’t know about you, but had you ever heard of the Ice Climbers and/or Mr. Game & Watch before Melee was released? Unless you played their games, most people would say they haven’t. So not having been heard of is definitely not a valid reason not to be included in Brawl.

2) We have too many Mario reps already

Usually, the people who say this are the same people who believe DK, Yoshi and Wario are considered part of the Mario franchise, when Sakurai clearly shows that at least that for Brawl’s sake that is not the case. Sure, they got their start in Mario games, no question, but it doesn’t matter whether you believe they have they’re own separate franchise or not, Sakurai considers them separate franchises. So not including those characters, we have Mario, most likely Luigi, Bowser and Peach, and don’t tell me Dr. Mario is returning, his chances are almost nigh. So that’s 4 characters, I wouldn’t say one more is too much, would you? Pokémon already has 4 representatives (Pikachu and Pokémon Trainer who has 3 other Pokémon), there’s a good chance that there will be one more representative. Remember we’re about franchise representation here, not slots. The number of slots is not significant as they can change easily. So if Pokémon can have 5 reps, why not Nintendo’s most well-known franchise?

Not to mention the Pokémon franchise is also represented by the countless number of Pokémon in the Pokéball item. Though now with the introduction of Assist Trophies, other franchises, and even those who will not get a PC rep can still have a chance to shine in Brawl, though slightly, well ain’t that peachy? So far we’ve been shown the Hammer Bros, Bullet Bills and Latiku to represent the Mario franchise in AT fashion. Although there will probably be more from the Mario series, there’s no question that the number of Pokémon non-PC reps will outnumber non-PC Mario reps, so even in that respect, Mario will not be the most represented. Also there’s a little series needing mention called Zelda. It’s been predicted that there will be two more reps, Ganondorf being one of them (what a surprise) and mainly a competition between Midna w/ or w/out Wolf Link and WW Link. I wont get into that since this is no the place for that, but the point it this; Zelda is very likely to have at least 5 PC reps, same goes to Pokémon, so what’s to say the Mario series shouldn’t get 5 reps?

Of course, others will argue for Bowser Jr. as the last Mario rep. Most do not believe that Geno AND Bowser Jr. will make it to Brawl, so that really comes down to your own opinion on who should get in between those two.

3) He's only been in two games

This is about as effective as “No one knows who he is”, probably the dumbest of the arguments against Geno. The Ice climbers have only been in ONE game and they made it in. Sure they’re retro, but the SNES (which is where Geno made is first appearance in Super Mario RPG) is on the borderline of being retro, if it hasn’t already. Once again, it shows that it doesn’t matter how many games the character has been in, if enough people have heard of him that they will voice significantly that he should be in Brawl, well then ****it, he should be a contender for a spot.

4) Geno's third party, he's not worthy of a third party slot

Alright now to the juicy stuff. This is probably the most common argument made against Geno since he is owned by Square-Enix. If you haven’t read this (Thanks to PsychoIncarnate for this find!), I strongly suggest you do: http://blogs.ign.com/phoenixdragoon/2007/10/22/69626/ It’s an argument saying the Geno isn’t exactly 3rd party, but something called 2nd ½ party. If this really is the case for Geno’s legal stand point, then there’s virtually no problem in adding Geno.

But if you don’t believe the article and still think Geno will be purely 3rd party, your most likely saying that Geno is not worthy of the last (or supposedly last) 3rd party spot compared to Megaman, Bomberman, Rayman, or “someotherman”. Personally, I believe that if Geno really is pure 3rd party (which I don’t) then the only competition he has is Megaman.

Now let me get this out of the way first; whether you believe Geno is worthy of Brawl is purely your own opinion, there’s nothing factual about worthiness. Now Megaman is no doubt a very iconic character and has been on numerous titles to which I won’t bother counting, most of which are on a Nintendo console. But considering Megaman only received two votes, it’s obviously not the best he could get, but it’s not a very strong case for his appearance in Brawl, so many of his fans are relying on his popularity outside the polls. The bad part for Megaman is we really don’t know how much Sakurai is looking into Megaman as a result of the poll. Because of his relative poor rank on the poll compared to his popularity, I consider Megaman and Geno to be equals in terms of purely 3rd parties. The rest is just my favoring of Geno over Megaman.

As for other 3rd party characters, it’s for the most part, the same case. They got relatively low standings on the polls (or in some character’s cases, not at all, yet still being supported), so the fans rely on the character’s popularity alone. I honestly think the poll will turn out to have a great impact on who will be considered to enter Brawl, Which is certainly the case for Geno. Unfortunately for the rest, I don’t think the other character’s popularity will enough (for the record, I’d love to see Bomberman in Brawl, but I just don’t see it happening).

Now if Sakurai decides to tell us he changed his mind and is letting more 3rd party characters in, then we’ve more to discuss, but until then, that’s all I gotta say about Geno and 3rd parties. Just remember, overall I don’t consider Geno a pure 3rd party addition, and I sure plenty of Geno fans don’t either, but there are still some who do, and I wanted to point out they’re possible views on it.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Reserved for future use

Make Some Fan Art, I'll Post It HERE!!!

by Erick on Miiverse

by HipsterAnt on Miiverse

by
Xarreno on Miiverse

Ridley Geno Western by Oasis

Stylized Geno from pre-Brawl days by PsychoIncarnate

Hey guys, I made stuff:

Neutral:

Side:

Up:

Down:

Final Smash:

You don't have to take it seriously. I mean, Geno Boost as a Up + Special is kinda of a joke.
But yeah, here it is.
Mario RPG - Geno and Mallowby GENZOMAN

geno fans in emerica,europ,asia :)

geno fans in JAPAN!!!!

by: N3ON

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
IMO, I think that Geno shouldn't be in Smash unless Mallow is playable, too. I mean, it feels weird to have one without the other. I just don't see what makes Geno anymore significant than Mallow is when they are pretty much equal in terms of canon importance. The only thing Geno has over Mallow is popularity but that doesn't really seem to mean much to Nintendo, Square Enix, and especially Sakurai... considering Nintendo and Square Enix never do anything with Geno, Mallow, and the other Super Mario RPG characters since 1996 (Geno's cameo in M&L:SS notwithstanding). So, in my book... it is both or nothing.

Steelia

Smash Champion
^ Mallow for Assist?

Super Mario RPG did really well on the Virtual Console when it came out, so that gives me some hope that people today at least know who we're talking about.
Kindof.

Geno's a cool guy, though, I'd really like to see him make the cut. This time I hope the relationship between Square and Nintendo's stable enough for such an agreement.

The only thing I wonder, though... What should his voice sound like?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
IMO, I think that Geno shouldn't be in Smash unless Mallow is playable, too. I mean, it feels weird to have one without the other. I just don't see what makes Geno anymore significant than Mallow is when they are pretty much equal in terms of canon importance. The only thing Geno has over Mallow is popularity but that doesn't really seem to mean much to Nintendo, Square Enix, and especially Sakurai... considering Nintendo and Square Enix never do anything with Geno, Mallow, and the other Super Mario RPG characters since 1996 (Geno's cameo in M&L:SS notwithstanding). So, in my book... it is both or nothing.
Mallow wasn't significant to the story. He was just a lost boy that didn't know he was a prince.

The game itself was the crashing of the heavens and it's warrior coming down to restore peace to the universe and expel the invaders of the mushroom kingdom.

And the fact star spirits have returned in later games seems to cement Geno at least continuing on in spirit and Mallow not really existing in any form later in the series

^ Mallow for Assist?

Super Mario RPG did really well on the Virtual Console when it came out, so that gives me some hope that people today at least know who we're talking about.
Kindof.

Geno's a cool guy, though, I'd really like to see him make the cut. This time I hope the relationship between Square and Nintendo's stable enough for such an agreement.

The only thing I wonder, though... What should his voice sound like?
Geno is a mixture of the strong and silent protagonist and the wise mystic. Probably along the lines some anime's have had with those. I can't think of a specific one at the moment though

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Genooooooooo. Yes. Too bad Square is an idiot and would probably add Slime or Black Mage over what WE REALLY WANT.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Actually, Geno is a wooden doll owned by Gaz, not a star spirit. The real hero is ♥♪!? who is a star spirit, kinda like Twink in Paper Mario, and that means Geno is the vessel for ♥♪!?. This is further cemented by Geno's appearance in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga as an ordinary lifeless puppet. It is kinda like ♥♪!? is Majora and Geno is Skull Kid where Skull Kid played a big role in Majora's Mask but they are not that significant in other Zelda games. There is a reason Mario games still has star spirits but no wooden puppets. ♥♪!? is important, Geno is not. :troll:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Actually, Geno is a wooden doll owned by Gaz, not a star spirit. The real hero is ♥♪!? who is a star spirit, kinda like Twink in Paper Mario, and that means Geno is the vessel for ♥♪!?. This is further cemented by Geno's appearance in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga as an ordinary lifeless puppet. It is kinda like ♥♪!? is Majora and Geno is Skull Kid where Skull Kid played a big role in Majora's Mask but they are not that significant in other Zelda games. There is a reason Mario games still has star spirits but no wooden puppets. ♥♪!? is important, Geno is not. :troll:
The character Geno we discuss is ♥♪!? possessing the wooden doll, yes. But the star spirit adopts the name of his host in order to properly communicate with Mario and the rest of the characters.

The main difference between Geno and the Skull Kid is that the skull kid was an unwilling pawn used by the evil influence withing Majora while the toy Geno was just a vessel in which ♥♪!? could interact with the physical world and even fight. The doll is souless, ♥♪!? is formless but together they create the character.

I think it's an interesting character study with Mario and the gang identifying Geno in his puppet form while Geno himself just using it as a vessel for his mission. I think the important part of the character in itself is the gang would form an emotional attachment to the doll, which they would most likely identify with the character since they can interact with it physical and visually.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I serve... a higher authority...

Geno is my probably my favorite character to use on my VC copy of the game (I also own it on the SNES, yeah, I like the game o-o) with Geno Boost to make Mario's Lazy Shell ridiculous and Geno Whirl to kill anything I don't like, then Geno Flash/Beam to hit everyone pretty hard. So much fun! ^_^ But yeah, he is SUCH a glass cannon, it is so sad..

Also, Geno was confirmed as stronger than Mario. Love when ♥♪!? chose Geno because it the strongest of the dolls. ;D If ♥♪!? comes back, he needs to come back as Geno and not possess something else.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Geno would be rather cool, but the fact of the matter is, it's up to Square-Enix, and the odds of the going with Geno instead of other characters, like Cecil, Slime, Black Mage, Neku, or other well-known and established characters are very questionable. Still, assuming he is in the game, I can see his attacks focus a lot on charging up moves, especially for his B moves, though admittedly, I couldn't tell you what they would use for his Up B.

True Blue

Smash Lord
Dude... I never played Mario RPG until I asked my friend who Geno was and he made me play it... After playing it I realized Geno is fricken awesome. He definitely needs to be put in the next smash. And didn't people try to vote him in for brawl? Cause I know a lot of people want him in the game but it just seems to never work out. But I would LOVE to see Geno in brawl and his moves and stuff. Would definitely be something cool too see.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Geno is never going to happen whether you like it or not. He's a bland hunk of wood from one spinoff game, big deal. He is as important as a character as Goombario or Koops.

...Although I do admit that Geno Boost is the most broken move in the game.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Geno is never going to happen whether you like it or not. He's a bland hunk of wood from one spinoff game, big deal. He is as important as a character as Goombario or Koops.

...Although I do admit that Geno Boost is the most broken move in the game.
I really don't care about his importance. If I see a good character I'll root for them.

Especially one that was acknowledged in Sakurai's poll.

It may have been some years since Brawl (Geno was on both the Melee and Brawl poll), but he at least knows of him

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I look forward to when my thread can war with yours.

I mean, assuming your support still EXISTS by then. Will probably dry up in no time.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I look forward to when my thread can war with yours.

I mean, assuming your support still EXISTS by then. Will probably dry up in no time.
Nah, they are still there. They just scattered, hid amongst everyone else. Biding their time after what happened with Brawl.

They just need someone Strong to gather them together and focus their efforts

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Focus their efforts...

Or Stomp them?
I've seen them still, throughout the bowels of the internet. To this day, mention of the next smash inevitably brings up Geno.

All Brawl did was weed out the weak.

The weak have no place within the presence of Geno or his disciples!

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
I know you linked the old thread but you should add a lot of the info from there to here and put the old thread under "credits". It'd make the OP mo' better IMO

:phone:

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Man, I really would love to see Geno in the game. I was never a huge fan of Geno but for some reason I want him really bad now...

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Geno seems like he would be the perfect character to be the 1st character in smash to be based around long-ranged moves. Given all of his guns, beams, blasts, and magic, I think he would be perfect for such a moveset.

Still, even if I was a part of the Smash Boards pro-Geno movement pre-Brawl with you Psycho (waits for McFox to return), my expectations for Geno have gone down. It would take a minor miracle to get Geno in smash WiiU and/or 3DS. Still, it would delight me nonetheless. Geno would inevitably become a fan favorite character from the get go! :shades:

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
OMG dont add geno it'd be like adding one of those creepy puppets from the subspace emmisary :troll:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I know you linked the old thread but you should add a lot of the info from there to here and put the old thread under "credits". It'd make the OP mo' better IMO

I tried to add a lot of the information I found useful (Some of it is outdated, including links that no longer work) but I can do that as well.

---

I should also add ideas for Forest Maze stage ideas.

As always in the Geno thread, one thing I'd REALLY like from people is fan art.

If ANYONE wants to made some fan art that includes Geno in it, I'll post it in the OP

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Who wouldnt want this character to be in the game. Putting the amazing Geno in would mean we'd get alot of other great things such as....

-Mario RPG stage?
-Mario RPG music?
-Mallow as an Assist Trophy!

He'd be a great rep for the Mario RPG spinoffs in gerneral since there doesnt seem to be any RPG/Mario & Luigi/Paper Mario reps at all. Geno makes since because he was from the very First Mario RPG game and is the most popular character/partner/sidekick to Mario(aside form Luigi).

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
We had a lot of theories how Geno would fit into subspace emissary.

I think the best would have been Geno in place of Sonic smacking him and stopping him from harming everyone.

Well, as sardonic Geno would say, the reason SSE wasn't awesome was because it lacked Geno.

...Anyone notice that Ridley and Geno aren't always first pages. Don't fret Geno fans, it's only the beggining. It took time during the original Brawl discussions for them to rise to the top

yani

Smash Lord
I'm starting to think the theory Shortie posts about Geno really is true. I don't think it was Starfy at all.

That being said, GENO FOR SMASH!

D

Deleted member

Counter to his "theory".

James Bond is considered a Rare character rather than a "non-video game" character on the Pre-Melee poll like Doraemon and Godzilla.

Yes, it makes sense for Bond to be a Rare character because of Goldeneye 007 for the N64, at the same time, it makes sense for Geno to be in the Mario characters because, well, he is a Mario character. Just not owned by Nintendo.
So it's not some "big conspiracy" about how Sakurai lists Geno as a Nintendo character.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yes, please.

As I said in the old thread, this guy is this game's Poison in terms of demand.

yani

Smash Lord
I also thought it could have been Bond. After all, he did have his own item in Smash ("Proximity Mine") and if Sakurai made an exception to a non-video game character, it definitely would have been him. However, I have my own theory that Diddy and Banjo would probably have been in Melee if there was no question with the whole buyout situation (this obviously can't be proven though). On the contrary, Rare confirmed there were a lot of Rare character trophies that were planned, and there wasn't a Diddy Kong trophy in the game, which could have been due to his data being completely removed from the game (whereas Dixie and K.Rool remained, since they weren't going to be playable, and a trophy isn't a big deal whereas a playable character could lead to trouble, and having to upset fans by cutting him in the next game etc). Now if we were to assume that my theory is correct, it can pretty much de-confirm Bond or any Rare characters since the Cloaking Device(Perfect Dark)/"Proximity Mine"(Goldeneye) were removed and Diddy Kong was able to be added as a playable character (since those issues were settled in court and Nintendo retained everything Donkey Kong related). So I don't think Sakurai would try to add Bond because he was considered a Rare character, and by this time he wouldn't be able to get the rights to him since they're with Microsoft. So that's why I don't think it could have been Bond.

Just my pure speculation though. Not sure if I'm more a salty Rare fan or Geno fan atm :troll:

edit- Sorry, confused where Cloaking Device/ Proximity Mine were from. Fixed.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Not only that, but Bond isn't even a videogame character.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Geno has potential to get it. Isn't it up to Square for him to be in?

I'm just praying for the day that miserable company goes under.

Or when Nintendo buys the rights for Geno

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
I will gladly return from the void of inactivity to once again pledge my support to Geno (♥♪!?). ^_^ Hopefully any disputes we have with other threads do not reach the epic proportions of the Geno/Ridley war of old, but, as they say, history tends to repeat itself. Geno would be such an amazing retro throwback and nothing can diminish my hopes for it.

I remember when I was a child and Smash 64 was coming out. I hoped Ness would make it in, because I loved Earthbound with a strong passion. I didn't think it at all possible, but when I found out he made the cut I was floored. I will never lose hope for Geno!

Gosh, here I am 25 years old and still returning to this website every time a new smash is on the horizon. =p I think I can mark important events in my life as "Pre-smash", "64-era" "Melee era" "Brawl era" and now "______ era" =p

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Haha yeah, new Smash Bros. games always had that effect on me with this place. Hoping to stick around longer this time though, hopefully take this game seriously and be like the best Olimar, Ghirahim, Paper Mario, Palutena, and Geno player ever. :laugh: (Surely at least one of those newcomers will get in).

I must have missed the Ridley vs Geno battles though, the characters seem so unrelated. XD Hopefully we at least wage only civil wars with each franchise this time around.

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
I think it is very unlikely that Geno will appear in Smash 4.
Also, where the hell did everyone come up with the idea of him being playable ?
He's only appeared in 1 game, and while it was an excellent game, it wasn't very important at all.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think it is very unlikely that Geno will appear in Smash 4.
Also, where the hell did everyone come up with the idea of him being playable ?
He's only appeared in 1 game, and while it was an excellent game, it wasn't very important at all.
Who cares? He's awesome

What more do we have to care about?

The idea was actually started because he was one of the top requested characters on Sakurai's poll.

He was on the melee poll as well. That tells me 2 things.

1) People like Geno

2) Sakurai has at least heard of Geno and shown at least faint interest

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
Who cares? He's awesome

What more do we have to care about?

The idea was actually started because he was one of the top requested characters on Sakurai's poll.

He was on the melee poll as well. That tells me 2 things.

1) People like Geno

2) Sakurai has at least heard of Geno and shown at least faint interest

I don't care if he was requested or not, all I want to know is how was he so popular even in the times of Melee, when Paper Mario obviously was more known than SMRPG.
Anyways, since I DO like the character himself he does get at least 30% of my support.

Top Bottom