• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
They were base game, not paid dlc.
This for sure. I have had a feeling for awhile that CacoMallow is pointing to Doomguy *NOT* getting in and Geno will be. Cacodemon could fit in any non-SE pack. Mallow would have to come with an SE character (unless SE wants to not be a diva), and who else would Mallow come with besides Geno? If Geno wasn't getting in, I don't see why any other SMRPG content would suddenly.

Again, base vs extra DLC you have to pay for.

Eh. Ribbon Girl isn't on the box but she's just as much of a main character as he is.

I'm still thinking it's a multi-character reveal, either echoes or Bowser Jr/Hero-esque. Whoever mentioned the Ness thing really changed my mind on that.
So it's only a shill if it's dlc? How does that work. I really don't understand this fanbase wide meltdown. As someone who lost my **** with hype when Byleth was announced, I agree Byleth was a shameless shill. And as someone who quickly dropped ARMS and regretted buying it, this is absolutely not a shill pick. It deserves the spot.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Can't believe how the DS only has one debut character and it's a Pokemon.
Damnit! All the other consoles besides the Arcade and NES are represented poorly in numbers and some cases great representation.

Gameboy: Well represented I guess?

SNES needs: Geno, Crono, a SNES Final Fantasy rep, Lip, ect.

N64 needs: Skull Kid, Conker, Joanna Dark, Star Twins, Custom Robo rep, Saki, Marina Liteyears, ect.

Gameboy Advance needs: Isaac, a Rhythm Heaven rep, Advance Wars rep, Generation 3 Pokemon, Mona ect.

Gamecube needs: Krystal, Viewtiful Joe, Tetra, ect.

DS needs: Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, Generation 5 Pokemon, Ashley, Cooking Mama, ect.

Wii: Doesn't have that many reps but is already well represented.

3DS: Could use more reps but is already well represented.

Wii U needs: Wonderful Red, Elma, Octolings, ect.

Switch needs: Rex & Pyra, Breath of the Wild Champion, ect.

Some of the things that wasn’t pointed out is that
-Lucas is originally from Mother 64 on the N64.
-Lucario has technically started in GBA during the first PMD game.
-Sonic has technically started in an arcade racing game.
If that is the case with Lucas than Wolf should be a SNES rep instead of a N64 rep since he was originally in Star Fox 2 before he was in Star Fox 64.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
In all honesty, I'm not mad at ARMS getting a rep for FP6. Unlike Byleth, ARMS really did need a lot of support and it's a new IP that never got its chance to shine on its initial release. This is the kind of promotional character I don't mind when it goes to series/IPs that really need a second chance to thrive. Same is true for Wonderful 101, which thankfully got a huge comeback thanks to the successful Kickstarter campaign. It also gives me a far greater deal of hope for Geno in the future.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
So it's only a shill if it's dlc? How does that work. I really don't understand this fanbase wide meltdown. As someone who lost my **** with hype when Byleth was announced, I agree Byleth was a shameless shill. And as someone who quickly dropped ARMS and regretted buying it, this is absolutely not a shill pick. It deserves the spot.
I guess it depends on if Arms 2 gets announced in June alongside the fighter. If it's a character from the original Arms, then it can't really be considered a shill pick since the game came out 3 years ago.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Alright, here we go. Write this down.

Springman
Rex and Pyra
Waluigi
Bomberman
Shovel Knight
Geno

Calling it now.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
So it's only a shill if it's dlc? How does that work. I really don't understand this fanbase wide meltdown.
No it's still shill either way, but you're not paying extra for it. My whole point was them being in base greatly diminishes the sting of them when you don't have to pay extra on top of the base game for them. It also feels like they're now taking what's one of the last six slots left, which makes it sting even more.

As someone who lost my **** with hype when Byleth was announced, I agree Byleth was a shameless shill. And as someone who quickly dropped ARMS and regretted buying it, this is absolutely not a shill pick. It deserves the spot.
Greatly depends if they start pushing ARMS, either with a sequel or more updates.

Also I've said this before, but an "advertising" character is one that is a shill pick, but is also picked out of fan demand (e.g., if there was an SMRPG 2 in the works and Geno was picked). A shill pick is one that wasn't nearly that asked for, but got in because they want to push a game (e.g., Byleth). Inkling was a bit of both in the sense that people were like "why isn't Splatoon stuff in Smash yet?". DLC 6 is the same, being in the middle road. No one was asking for an ARMS rep, but people were questioning why they didn't get a rep. It's not full shill like Byleth, but you can't say this isn't shill unless Nintendo doesn't start pushing updates, which there's a really good chance they will be, or maybe making a sequel. The fact that they're delaying the reveal til June is just super suspect.

If however, we get *NO* new content for ARMS (be it for ARMS 1 or a sequel) around June when the character is revealed, then I will gladly admit I was wrong, as I have been oh so many times these last months, and say that they're not a shill pick.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Only Nintendo could reveal a character from a franchise who's main character is an assist trophy and the 4 other most popular characters are spirits but STILL leave it open for both rules to stay in place. GOD, I'm just drained. Is it better than Byleth? Oh yea, a new Nintendo franchises getting a slot is awesome, but it's like, really ARMS? The game is 3 years old, it did fine but they dropped support way earlier than Splatoon 2. The only logical explanation I can think of here is that either we are getting an ARMS 2 or this was something the ARMS dev's straight up asked him to do.

And we went through a 30 minute mini direct without them announcing a single new first party game for the rest of the year. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? WE KNOW JUST AS MUCH AS WE KNEW BEFORE THE MINI DIRECT. THEY DIDN'T EVEN REVEAL SOMETHING LIKE A REMAKE OR A WII U PORT.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
So Sakurai has posted a tweet about the Arms inclusion

"A new fighter from "ARMS" will join Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Despite this special request, it is very difficult to stick to the rules of the game as well as find the right balance while maintaining the spirit of “ARMS." Prepare for a fighter with entirely original mechanics!"

https://twitter.com/Sephazon/status/1243209957274570753

If however, we get *NO* new content for ARMS (be it for ARMS 1 or a sequel) around June when the character is revealed, then I will gladly admit I was wrong, as I have been oh so many times these last months, and say that they're not a shill pick.
Likewise.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
And we went through a 30 minute mini direct without them announcing a single new first party game for the rest of the year. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? WE KNOW JUST AS MUCH AS WE KNEW BEFORE THE MINI DIRECT. THEY DIDN'T EVEN REVEAL SOMETHING LIKE A REMAKE OR A WII U PORT.
First year of the Switch's lifecycle that they didn't reveal the holiday title either. All holiday titles were revealed in the Q1 directs; Odyssey in 2017, Smash in 2018, Pokemon in 2019. Still nothing for what's to be one of the most important years, given that their competitors are releasing new consoles...

Hopefully June just destroys everyone's minds. If not, rip Nintendo for 2020, possibly rip them this generation as they'll be massively behind; not like I'll get a PiS5 or XSEX, but other people are definitely waiting for them and not a Switch right now.

Prepare for a fighter with entirely original mechanics!"
I don't like the way that says "A" fighter. That said though, if it truly is one character, it's likely they'll mash a bunch of mechanics together, and it should be obvious, but do not expect them to outright play like they do in ARMS.

Last edited:

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
I just thought of something in addition to my theory of getting 4 fighters for ARMS:

A ??? - someone new
R ibbongirl - costume upgrade
M inMin - spirit upgrade
S pringman - assist trophy upgrade

Holy **** if this happens.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
"A new fighter from "ARMS" will join Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Despite this special request, it is very difficult to stick to the rules of the game
Assist Trophy deconfirm fan rule deconfirmed.

I just thought of something in addition to my theory of getting 4 fighters for ARMS:

A ??? - someone new
R ibbongirl - costume upgrade
M inMin - spirit upgrade
S pringman - assist trophy upgrade

Holy **** if this happens.
My God you must be a prophet.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
09DE6545-3EB8-4B4E-B532-ED1811789CBF.png

So, how about that ARMS Smash announcement?
I think the fact that the entire ARMs roster, which includes all the characters that are spirits and assist trophies, being shown as potential characters for FP6 was a hidden blessing for us. This pretty much proves that spirits and assist trophies do not deconfirm chances for characters to be added as DLC.

So chin up lads! This is a good thing! Everybody’s back in the running, let’s get this show on the road!

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
View attachment 267159
I think the fact that the entire ARMs roster, which includes all the characters that are spirits and assist trophies, being shown as potential characters for FP6 was a hidden blessing for us. This pretty much proves that spirits and assist trophies do not deconfirm chances for characters to be added as DLC.

So chin up lads! This is a good thing! Everybody’s back in the running, let’s get this show on the road!
Don't you mean "Let's get this show on the Star Road!"?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
View attachment 267159

Geno is us and Exor is Square-Enix.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
View attachment 267159

Inb4 it's Kid Cobra or any of the other nine that do nothing for Geno.
I really do think it'll be one of the five spirit characters, but there's still a possibility it's not. I will however happily update my evidence compilation post with a big ol "SPIRITS DON'T DECONFIRM! THANKS <insert DLC 6 character here>!" if it is.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
View attachment 267159

I didn't even think about this. Regardless of who it ends up being, the fact that Springman and Ribbon girl and all them were shown as possible newcomers proves that assist trophies, Mii costumes, and spirits don't deconfirm! Otherwise Nintendo wouldn't have even bothered putting them in!

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Man, this wait is really going to kill me. The wait for June, that is. The virus we have going on today does not help either. Man, is this wait going to suck or what?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Calling it now

Springman
A double reveal of Gen8 pokemon and Geno, were Gen8 is the Hero and Geno is the Banjo of this pass.
Akira Howard (let me dream :confused::urg::confused:)
Rex and Pyra
BWD

Assist Trophy deconfirm fan rule deconfirmed.

My God you must be a prophet.
I¨m quoting a tweet that is a translation of Sakurais tweet....

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Man, this wait is really going to kill me. The wait for June, that is. The virus we have going on today does not help either. Man, is this wait going to suck or what?
Not nearly as bad as the wait for this dreadfully disappointing direct. Almost 7 months for that? Ooooof.
Regardless how anyone feels about it, I don't see this as a good thing for the investors meeting. Better than them not showing off anything for sure, but it could have been so much better. Here's hoping the June direct is mind-blowing, and we get Geno in it.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Not nearly as bad as the wait for this dreadfully disappointing direct. Almost 7 months for that? Ooooof.
Regardless how anyone feels about it, I don't see this as a good thing for the investors meeting. Better than them not showing off anything for sure, but it could have been so much better. Here's hoping the June direct is mind-blowing, and we get Geno in it.
I was actually wondering about the investor's meeting, myself. I wonder how things will turn out in that meeting? A new first party game would have been helpful, even though it is just one thing and may not have helped much by itself.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I do appreciate the fact that Nintendo outright came out and said Corona ****ed up everything so I appreciate that honesty. Something to keep in mind is that Corona has disrupted Japanese life since January so today's mini Direct being "underwhelming" is not surprising. I'm also low-key ecstatic about ARMs because I was always in the boat that Splatoon and ARMs deserved characters but figured it was dead in the water because it came out "too late."

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
Six new blank spaces on the Smash website. Not any new info but always nice to see stuff updated.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
At least we know why there has been a delay now :bluejump: The reason that should have been obvious in the first place

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Japan is going to be shut down before June. Y'all shouldn't expect for the next reveal to be in June since we all know Japan's shut down will delay that.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I would have never expected it but.... I'm not mad honestly. ARMS could be fun, a little mac/ simon belmont hybrid? Plus the fact that they may have multiple arms characters interests me as well. It's deffo more fun than getting rep for a franchise that is massively bloated yet also badly represented like FE is.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I do appreciate the fact that Nintendo outright came out and said Corona ****ed up everything so I appreciate that honesty. Something to keep in mind is that Corona has disrupted Japanese life since January so today's mini Direct being "underwhelming" is not surprising. I'm also low-key ecstatic about ARMs because I was always in the boat that Splatoon and ARMs deserved characters but figured it was dead in the water because it came out "too late."
Yeah and while I am very underwhelmed, I do at least appreciate they finally spoke up. The radio silence was awful. The coronavirus message at the beginning at the very least made me go from likely super-raging to "well that sucked horribly".

Also, and this is probably dumb, but:

If they literally mean "arms" as in their arms, then that deconfirms Twintelle, does it not? Otherwise, if they mean arms as in armaments, then she's still okay. (this is meant as a half-joke btw, but I always overthink everything)

At least we know why there has been a delay now :bluejump: The reason that should have been obvious in the first place
But it's been nearly 7 months of silence. I even said if they at least tweeted "coronavirus, sorry", I'd have been like "alright guys, I'm disappointed, but at least you were transparent".
Fact of the matter is though that we still had the 3 directs and Sakurai video, so they couldn't just be silent til June.

Japan is going to be shut down before June. Y'all shouldn't expect for the next reveal to be in June since we all know Japan's shut down will delay that.
Unless they give us new news, they literally said the fighter will be released in June, which is honestly way later than anyone was already expecting.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
As truthful as that may be, please don't make me more anxious and unhappy here.
I'm sorry, I'm just speaking the sad truth.

Unless they give us new news, they literally said the fighter will be released in June, which is honestly way later than anyone was already expecting.
Still Japan's shut down would be way out of Nintendo's control so developments of any kind won't proceed.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
God the fact that they aern't revealing WHO the character is scares the hell out of me for some reason. Like, it could just be that they're having multiple characters in as alts of each other, or we get an echo fighter, but there's that possibility in my mind where we spend the next 3 months speculating about upgrades only to end up with someone who isn't a spirit/assist trophy, which would just cement those rules in even further, or, less likely, it's someone from an ARMS sequel and nothing changes either.

I just don't understand why they are leaving it so open.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Calling it now

Springman
A double reveal of Gen8 pokemon and Geno, were Gen8 is the Hero and Geno is the Banjo of this pass.
Akira Howard (let me dream :confused::urg::confused:)
Rex and Pyra
BWD

I¨m quoting a tweet that is a translation of Sakurais tweet....
I swear, if after all this secrecy it's just Springman I'm going to be so dissapointed.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
A lot of them aren’t a spirit or AT
Doesn't matter. The main argument is that franchises with spirits already in the game will not get a rep and this shatters that. This is just goalpost moving to now if that specific character doesn't have a spirit then they're possible. When does it end? AND if it's not Spring Man/Ribbon Girl (who are clearly seen as the main characters for the series) then that shatters a different fan rule of only main characters can get the first spot from a franchise and brings up the same question: when do we stop moving the goal post? No matter what, an ARMS rep does open up speculation quite a bit. I wouldn't say it's a Joker level reveal but it's still an exciting one.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
I'm actually pretty thrilled about this! I don't really care about ARMS specifically, but I'm sure whatever content we get from it will be stylish as heck. And more importantly, this potentially sets the tone for a much more 1st party focused pack, which I'd appreciate as someone who mostly sticks to Nintendo games.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I swear, if after all this secrecy it's just Springman I'm going to be so dissapointed.
Seriously, but at the very least he breaks 3 rules.

It's why I'm starting to worry and think it's someone who is none of the spirits, like it's someone we're not expecting, like Helix or something.

And more importantly, this potentially sets the tone for a much more 1st party focused pack, which I'd appreciate as someone who mostly sticks to Nintendo games.
I'd be happy with this as long as no more FE characters. Let's get another Kirby and Zelda rep though (and obviously, Geno).

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
You know, the whole situation is still strange. Earlier, Sakurai did say number 6 was being polished up or something like that ... So ... How does this jive? I completely understand that Corona-Chan has really affected things ... but to something that was almost done way back when? Also, Sakurai's tweet is specific that this fighter needs more time.

Something doesn't add up.

Could it be ... they switched the order for whatever reason due to the virus and development? Something just doesn't seem to be tracking in light of Sakurai's tweet if we were to take it at face value about needing more time SPECIFICALLY for ARMS character.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom