• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I've also seen the argument of "Yeah, they can upgrade a spirit, but they'll only do it once and never again so they still deconfirm after this."
Gamefaqs has already prepared a new gatekeeping argument in case a spirit gets upgraded. It's that spirits who have spirit battles deconfirm but spirits that you just summon don't deconfirm. So if it's Ribbon girl then the anti Geno arguments will not be phased.
Ha! How desperate! I don't know if we should be talking about this even, but those guys are pathetically desperate! They are quite toxic people, so why should they give themselves the rights to make up new fan rules just to try to shut other characters out because they don't want them? What a waste of time and a pathetic attempt of trying to get their way, if you ask me.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
You can believe whatever you want I'm just trying to keep expectations in check because everytime this has happened people have been annoyed that their ideas weren't true. Everyone thought DLC would be done WAY before February, like November or December, but it BARELY made it into January. People are thi king we're going to get 3 characters this year when it's just as likely we just get 2.

If you want to believe we're getting 3 characters at E3 then I'm cool with it but I personally think you're setting yourself up for disappointment.
Agreed. Especially considering that the most current reveal didn't show anything. With the way events have played out, I'll be surprise if we even get 2 reveals.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
I can only see how things would be after Geno gets revealed
"Yeah sure Geno was announced in the June Direct but they're gonna cancel him before his release, he's not getting in, Genopes cope and seethe"

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
"Yeah sure Geno was announced in the June Direct but they're gonna cancel him before his release, he's not getting in, Genopes cope and seethe"
Man, if they were to say that, they would just prove how desperate they are, and they would show how low they are.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord

Crankshadow

Smash Cadet
Hmm with all the Mario love it’s almost like they could do a a double Mario char for smash at e3. .....wait a minute....#wahandwhirl

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Gamefaqs has already prepared a new gatekeeping argument in case a spirit gets upgraded. It's that spirits who have spirit battles deconfirm but spirits that you just summon don't deconfirm. So if it's Ribbon girl then the anti Geno arguments will not be phased.
The Cuphead series Spirit Battles get changed depending on if you have the costume downloaded. If they're willing to change that based on what DLC you've purchased, why can't they do it with a fighter like Spring Man or Ribbon Girl? Jesus, talk about desparate.

Okay listen, I know you think Geno was just officially confirmed to be coming to the game, but you actually just imagined the whole thing. Okay? You guys are just so desparate to see Geno get in that you imagined a character reveal that never happened. Cope and seethe, boomers.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
New stuff from Twitter that was for E3 2020.
https://twitter.com/GarnetSunset/status/1244712232585437186
Odyssey (a sequel?), Prime 4 (or Pime Trilogy HD), TTYD companions, Urshifu in PMD, Pikmin again, and I think Splatoon 2. Is Nintendo trying to do bettr than what they did last year, but without BotW2?
Wow, this whole Flipnote leak thing is pretty massive, ain't it?
FlipnoteLeak1.jpg

FlipnoteLeak2.jpeg

So far it's implied/leaked/supported the existence of:
  • Skyward Sword HD
  • Something ARMS-related, most likely ARMS in Smash
  • Something Pikmin-related, maybe Pikmin 3 Switch? Perhaps a Pikmin Trilogy?
  • Something Mario-related, probably Odyssey 2
  • Metroid Prime 4, most likely just another teaser
  • Something Paper Mario-related, mostly reported to be a new game though this image screams TTYD HD port
  • Something PMD-related, Kubfu/Urshifu added to the game?
  • And what appears to be a new game altogether, as it doesn't look like either Splatoon or ARMS whatsoever since neither of them have cows in them.
Flipnote is a better leaker than 95% of the leakers we have out there. :ultpacman:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
This whole Flipnote thing feels like the whole supposed "Sakurai account leak" all over again

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Hey guys don't you notice how most of theses rumors have appeared just days before APRIL ****ING FIRST? I think that's a hint if im honest and a reason i don't believe them.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Wait ... I am confused, what's this whole flip book? Are we believing another thing like "Sakurai's Switch Leak" again?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
"Sure, Geno did come out, just remember he's bottom tier despite what the pros are saying and is 100% going to be cut in the next game."

zferolie

Smash Hero
Hey guys don't you notice how most of theses rumors have appeared just days before APRIL ****ING FIRST? I think that's a hint if im honest and a reason i don't believe them.
Hmmmm that is true... but part of me hopes people arent doing apeil fools like this during our global pandemic haha

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Hmmmm that is true... but part of me hopes people arent doing apeil fools like this during our global pandemic haha
This is internet we are talking about.... of course there is people that will do April fools jobs, some worse than others.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Hmmmm that is true... but part of me hopes people arent doing april fools like this during our global pandemic haha
Yeah sure people on the internet would never take the chance to be a jerk on a time like this close to April Fools day.

I apologize if i sound too agressive with my sarcasm, but this is exactly the timing to make early AF pranks, and a pandemic that has been turned into a moe piece of **** will not stop that, i mean it's the internet after all. People don't care, as harsh as that sounds.

In the defense of the insiders, i don't exactly think they are spewing ****, but rather that their SOURCES are spewing ****.

But to stay on topic, im at least glad April Fools rumors about Geno haven't showed up yet, although i guess someone will try their hand sooner or later.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm wanting to see how this plays out. Nothing too unreasonable and plenty of it is backed up by other things:

-Pikmin 3 for Switch has literally been vaporware since late 2018.

-If real, I think the Metroid picture is the Prime trilogy, probably a remaster. Another vaporware game since 2018. Everything I've heard about Metroid Prime 4's development is that it's going about as well as monkeys making pancakes.

-Skyward Sword HD is yet another vaporware game. Aomuma supposedly teased it in 2018 and, sure enough...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variet...da-skyward-sword-switch-rumor-1203036163/amp/

-Paper Mario is self explanatory.

-Ribbongirl is probably ARMS 2 and not Smash, especially if this was ripped from a Nintendo server. It's been 3 years really so it wouldn't be unusual.

-Luigi's Mansion is probably the second part of its DLC, which is coming in July.

Nothing too Earth shattering because, ironically, if true, it basically just confirms many rumors that people flat out forgot about.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Another things about the Flipnote thing that's kind of interesting:

Yeah sure people on the internet would never take the chance to be a jerk on a time like this close to April Fools day.

I apologize if i sound too agressive with my sarcasm, but this is exactly the timing to make early AF pranks, and a pandemic that has been turned into a moe piece of **** will not stop that, i mean it's the internet after all. People don't care, as harsh as that sounds.

In the defense of the insiders, i don't exactly think they are spewing ****, but rather that their SOURCES are spewing ****.

But to stay on topic, im at least glad April Fools rumors about Geno haven't showed up yet, although i guess someone will try their hand sooner or later.
I dunno, none of this really feels like it's a troll job. I mean, the purpose of a troll like this is to get a lot of people believing in it, and right now the reach of it is pretty small all things considered. If it were revealed to have all been a ruse by Gamexplain, Source Gaming, and the Flipnote community, then it wouldn't really be all too effective at making people mad.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Wow, this whole Flipnote leak thing is pretty massive, ain't it?
View attachment 267737
View attachment 267739
So far it's implied/leaked/supported the existence of:
  • Skyward Sword HD
  • Something ARMS-related, most likely ARMS in Smash
  • Something Pikmin-related, maybe Pikmin 3 Switch? Perhaps a Pikmin Trilogy?
  • Something Mario-related, probably Odyssey 2
  • Metroid Prime 4, most likely just another teaser
  • Something Paper Mario-related, mostly reported to be a new game though this image screams TTYD HD port
  • Something PMD-related, Kubfu/Urshifu added to the game?
  • And what appears to be a new game altogether, as it doesn't look like either Splatoon or ARMS whatsoever since neither of them have cows in them.
Flipnote is a better leaker than 95% of the leakers we have out there. :ultpacman:
That last pic is from GIFTPIA of all things, a mega-obscure Japanese only Gamecube game made by the Chibi Robo devs.

Something to note about the Paper Mario pic is that it has characters from multiple mainline games, Vivian, Goombella, and Bomberry from TTYD are obvious, but that's actually Koops in front, you can tell by the bandana and the lack of a bandaid, and the guy in the way back seems to be Koopa Koot of all people, both from Paper Mario. And in front we have... Kersti from Sticker Star (AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA) actually.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
>Four major games that have been vaporware in insider circles since 2018 may finally be happening in 2020.

>Four Smash characters have been floating around insider circles since 2018: Ryu, Waluigi, Lloyd, and Geno.

I-Is it all coming together lads?

When+i+see+new+starwars+meme+comps+_4268175b32b5f1f4f24a2d0dd4a69fa0.jpg

We'll see if this is real though. Guess we'll see if GameXplain covers it with their not do subtle reporting.

D

Deleted member

Oh this is getting good!

The Super Mario 35th anniversary stuff sounds great we’ll see!

MisterMike

Smash Champion
That last pic is from GIFTPIA of all things, a mega-obscure Japanese only Gamecube game made by the Chibi Robo devs.
Yeah, I saw someone mention it on twitter.

>Four major games that have been vaporware in insider circles since 2018 may finally be happening in 2020.

>Four Smash characters have been floating around insider circles since 2018: Ryu, Waluigi, Lloyd, and Geno.

View attachment 267743

We'll see if this is real though. Guess we'll see if GameXplain covers it with their not do subtle reporting.
Well, let's ask the expert:
OhYeahItsAllComingTogether.gif

Well that settles it! GENO CONFIRMED! :ultpacman:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'm wanting to see how this plays out. Nothing too unreasonable and plenty of it is backed up by other things:

-Pikmin 3 for Switch has literally been vaporware since late 2018.

-If real, I think the Metroid picture is the Prime trilogy, probably a remaster. Another vaporware game since 2018. Everything I've heard about Metroid Prime 4's development is that it's going about as well as monkeys making pancakes.

-Skyward Sword HD is yet another vaporware game. Aomuma supposedly teased it in 2018 and, sure enough...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variet...da-skyward-sword-switch-rumor-1203036163/amp/

-Paper Mario is self explanatory.

-Ribbongirl is probably ARMS 2 and not Smash, especially if this was ripped from a Nintendo server. It's been 3 years really so it wouldn't be unusual.

-Luigi's Mansion is probably the second part of its DLC, which is coming in July.

Nothing too Earth shattering because, ironically, if true, it basically just confirms many rumors that people flat out forgot about.
What if ARMS 2 is a thing, and Ribbon girl is the new Lead over Spring Man, thus her becoming the playable in smash over Spring Man?

View attachment 267743

Gameexplain did cover the FLipnote stuff. not the new pictures though.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Most of these things have been rumored for months now and the April Fools bit only works on the first not literal days beforehand. If it's a fake leak it has nothing to do with April 1st.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord

View attachment 267743

I assume Ryu Means Ryu Hayabusa, right?

Hmm, seems pretty interesing to see such recurring names beign dropped every time an insider opens their mouth, which seems to be good for Geno, seems third parties admitedlly are really easier to spot from what we have seen. Lets hope this isn't leakbait.

I love how Waluigi is just there alongside those 3. I guess he is Chaotic Neutral so it doesn't matter if he is real or fake because everybody gets confused as hell either way.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm not sure, if the insiders were joking about these games people would love all for an elaborate April Fools prank, their credibility would be shot down. Same if it's their sources pranking them; they'd kick 'em out, I bet.

I think this is unrealistic, though, as these rumors have been going since earlier this year, maybe even before then.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I wanted to mention this because people were slamming others about DLC: revealing three characters at E3 isn't completely absurd.

The roster was confirmed to be finalized in November last year and E3 will be at least 8 months after the fact. Fatman said it takes 9 months average to build a character, right? Besides, Sakurai back in pass one confirmed he was working on Joker, as well as Fighter's two and three (Hero and Banjo) as soon as the game launched. He was working on three DLC fighters at once. I mean, shoot, they confirmed pass 2 in September. That's 10 months. Arms would be pretty easy to get started on in pass one anyway considering the rights they hold.

Having three announced at E3 is not nearly as farfetched as you think.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I wanted to mention this because people were slamming others about DLC: revealing three characters at E3 isn't completely absurd.

The roster was confirmed to be finalized in November last year and E3 will be at least 8 months after the fact. Fatman said it takes 9 months average to build a character, right? Besides, Sakurai back in pass one confirmed he was working on Joker, as well as Fighter's two and three (Hero and Banjo) as soon as the game launched. He was working on three DLC fighters at once. I mean, shoot, they confirmed pass 2 in September. That's 10 months. Arms would be pretty easy to get started on in pass one anyway considering the rights they hold.

Having three announced at E3 is not nearly as farfetched as you think.
Honestly if 3 are revealed, If we are going with Fatman's freebe/bonus fighters, I think we will see FP6 and 7 and 1 bonus

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
The Cuphead series Spirit Battles get changed depending on if you have the costume downloaded. If they're willing to change that based on what DLC you've purchased, why can't they do it with a fighter like Spring Man or Ribbon Girl? Jesus, talk about desparate.

Okay listen, I know you think Geno was just officially confirmed to be coming to the game, but you actually just imagined the whole thing. Okay? You guys are just so desparate to see Geno get in that you imagined a character reveal that never happened. Cope and seethe, boomers.
They actually thought of the Cuphead thing too. Apparently it's different because the Cuphead spirit event just came out, so it's okay, but it would be unreasonable to go back and change content that's been out for years.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I assume Ryu Means Ryu Hayabusa, right?

Hmm, seems pretty interesing to see such recurring names beign dropped every time an insider opens their mouth, which seems to be good for Geno, seems third parties admitedlly are really easier to spot from what we have seen. Lets hope this isn't leakbait.

I love how Waluigi is just there alongside those 3. I guess he is Chaotic Neutral so it doesn't matter if he is real or fake because everybody gets confused as hell either way.
The thing about Ryu is that a lot of people are now suspecting that people heard "Tecmo in the Fighter's Pass" and simply assumed Ryu. It's quite a coincidence though because the "Tecmo" rep, Byleth, did wind up being a 2020 release and may be good for the others too, especially Lloyd given Namco has formally announced Tales 25th anniversary but hasn't said how they're going to celebrate it yet.

The fun thing about this is that it potentially ties into my theories/predictions too. I've implied that, based on the timing of things, 6-9 would probably be 2020 releases and 10 and 11 would be 2021, with at least 10 possibly being a VGA 2020 announcement. So, let's look at things:

-6 is coming in June and that's confirmed. Fighter's Pass had about a two month gap between each character on average suggesting 7 in August, 8 in October, and 9 in December, 10 in February, and 11 in April.

-Theorically, if Nintendo was going to release a Mario character to celebrate the 35th anniversary, it would need to be close to September and before the 13th. In theory, this implies that if a Mario character is in Season 2, logically it would have to be 7.

-Tales 25th anniversary is December 15th. If the Lloyd rumors are true, this would suggest he's 9 to match the timeline.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
They actually thought of the Cuphead thing too. Apparently it's different because the Cuphead spirit event just came out, so it's okay, but it would be unreasonable to go back and change content that's been out for years.
Wow. And I'm also guessing that the Dimitri and Hilda spirits getting renamed is just brushed off as well, right?

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
To be entirely fair, the Cuphead situation has been the exception, not the rule--we have Rex, Tails, Knuckles, Proto Man, .EXE, X, Zero, and Akira who all got Mii costumes and didn't have altered battles. And then you've got Ryo, Iori, and Nakoruru, who got costumes alongside their spirits, but still didn't get altered battles. That's a whopping eleven times that they haven't made changes versus the one time they have.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
To be entirely fair, the Cuphead situation has been the exception, not the rule--we have Rex, Tails, Knuckles, Proto Man, .EXE, X, Zero, and Akira who all got Mii costumes and didn't have altered battles. And then you've got Ryo, Iori, and Nakoruru, who got costumes alongside their spirits, but still didn't get altered battles. That's a whopping eleven times that they haven't made changes versus the one time they have.
Isn't Sans the same as Cuphead?

Seems like a Premium Costume thing at this point.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I'm still of the notion that whoever this ARMS character is will once and for all decide the fate of Geno. If they use one of the main leads (Spring Man or Ribbon Girl) or go with the game's most popular characters (Min Min, Ninjara, or Twintelle), all of whom are already in the game as spirits or Assists, then the "spirits deconfirm" argument against Geno will finally go up in smoke. If they use a character that isn't the five I mentioned despite not being the main characters or the most popular, it will show the hoops the dev team is willing to jump through just to avoid promotions.

A lot is riding on this Genobros, we'll just need to wait until June.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Lloyd and Geno are also both "Western" picks. Although they do have some popularity in Japan.
"Some"? No. Actually, Geno was and still is really popular in Japan. There was an official Brawl poll back in the day from 2006 and Geno scored really high on that poll, and the poll was a Japan exclusive. I forgot what placement he scored in, but I believe Geno was in the top 5 or at #3 out of numerous suggested characters. The top 10 characters on that same poll made it as playable characters or an assist trophy; Geno, being #3, is the only one of top 10 that has not physically appeared in Smash. His Mii costume doesn't count since it's just his costume and hat, it isn't really him since the Mii is cosplaying as Geno; nor does his spirit count physically because it's just an image. I'll even take the time to bring the top 10 from that poll right here:

King Dedede - Confirmed in Brawl.
Diddy Kong - Confirmed in Brawl.
Geno - ?????
Ike - Confirmed in Brawl.
Ridley - Confirmed in Ultimate.
Captain Olimar & Pikmin - Confirmed in Brawl.
Krystal - Confirmed in Ultimate (as an assist trophy).
Takamaru - Confirmed in Brawl (as an assist trophy).
Windwaker Link - Confirmed in Brawl.
Animal Crossing MC - Confirmed in SSB3DS/Wii U, but first represented in Brawl with a stage.

You see, so far all of them made it in Smash physically except for Geno, and I know Sakurai wants to finish the top 10. Geno wouldn't just make the western fans happy, he'd also please a lot of fans in the east as well.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
So I definitely think 3 reveals around "E3" is a possibility. But I truly believe them when they say that the ARMS character is taking longer than expected and that things are getting backed up by all this virus nonsense so it wouldn't surprise me if the initial plan involved ARMS release in April with 2 reveals at E3 but then ARMS rep got pushed back to June. Now it's a matter of whether they decide to still reveal those 2 characters or just one of them alongside the ARMS rep(s). I really feel like things are going to keep getting worse for awhile before getting better so I'd imagine it's more likely we will see the ARMS reveal plus one other reveal at "E3" since progress has likely been delayed.

As for the Flipnote stuff I have to agree with the more cynical opinions that someone is using standing rumors to build up to an April Fool's Joke. But I could certainly be wrong and hope I am.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Someone on Gamefaqs said "the first picture says E3 2020 presentation. Leads me to believe that maybe the presentation was going to take place IN Flipnote? These would be the headers for whenever they shift topics. Some of this stuff is just too random to display in a video advertising a new Flipnote for Switch."

That would certainly be a unique way of doing a presentation.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Not sure about the three reveals thing at the time when E3 would have come. I mean, there was a little delay in the ARMS character, as we all know, and with that, these characters do take time to develop. I can imagine that the third fighter would barely have been started by the time of "E3", not enough time for a full reveal. I can see why some may think there will be three reveals, but for me, I don't necessarily think so. I mean, it is not like Sakurai is working on them all at once. Then there is the thing where Sakurai said most of the DLC, probably after Fighter 6, being postponed, if I recall correctly if I read right about the Famitsu article. Still, they are probably not going to be released at the same time, and they probably won't be in development at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom