• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
No story mode? Let me remind you that Wii Fit, the game, had no story mode as well, and yet we got Wii Fit Trainer.
Yeah but that's not the point at all.

Granted, there weren't many other characters.
You just said the point they were saying though.

The "Story Mode" thing was because imagine having the one and only Mario game having Mario, Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi, alongside some others like multiple colors of toads, Toadette, Peach, Yoshi, etc. Mario and Luigi are the two mascots on the box, but there's no subtle story in the background guiding you towards seeing that Mario is *the* main character. Point is that in ARMS, every character is the "main" character when you play them. DLC characters less so since they weren't there at the beginning, at the peak of people playing (like I don't even know who the hell Dr. Coyle is but I played the game like crazy the first week it came out), but again, nothing in game is saying "Spring Man is THE lead character".

Now in my example of the Mario game, let's say Wario and Waluigi are by far the fan favorites, but Mario and Luigi are just the main two on the box. Again, there's no Mario's kiss at the end of the game from the princess, there's no *ANYTHING* that tells you "oh this character is the MAIN character"; that's the situation we're in right now. PS: The Mario game would also likely be called "Jumpman", but EVERY character jumps so you really wouldn't think twice about it besides Mario and Luigi being the first two characters on the CSS.

And yet, not only was Spring Man one of the first to be shown as playable in ARMS, but he was on the box art and shown on things ARMS related more than Min Min.
But that doesn't mean anything in this context. If it was Spring Man, why not just be like "oh it's Spring Man, he's being promoted"; why go through this whole mess of "TUNE IN JUNE TO FIND OUT!". Now instead of talking about FUTURE characters, we're mostly left talking about just this one character of "who could it be". For them to go through with this just to give us Spring Man would be lunacy.

If Spring Man is picked, I'd be willing to bet that he'll be a Hero/Bowser Jr. situation. If it's ONE character, Min Min honestly has the best chances here. As a bonus, they wouldn't even need to modify the Spring Man assist trophy.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Spring Man always felt like the de facto mascot to me. At best Ribbon Girl might share the spotlight.

Also, this "guessing game" does nothing but increase interest in the series and gets people talking. Even if it's just Spring Man, it got people to care overall. That's the whole point. I'd say it's succeeding in keeping it up. Besides, if Spring Man is chosen, it kills multiple fan rules in one. I can't see a downside to that, really. No longer does an AT matter for DLC. No longer do base game spirits matter. No longer do Mii costumes matter. That's awesome~

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Even if it's just Spring Man, it got people to care overall. That's the whole point.
Yeah but they're gonna get so much flak and backlash, potentially to the point where people won't buy any of the DLC moving forward. You had Byleth who also followed a rather "eh" reveal of Terry. Two backlash characters after an eh character; idk, it just isn't a really good look.

I myself would be pretty pissed over that, even more pissed than Byleth. At least with Byleth, they didn't leave us hanging for 2.5 months on "who could the next Fire Emblem character be?!"; they ripped off the bandage right away, and now I'm DEFENDING BYLETH OF ALL THINGS TO THIS TOTALLY CRAPPY POSSIBILITY, THIS *SUCKS*.

Bottom line is, I really, really don't think it'll be lone Spring Man. If it's a Hero/Bowser Jr., yeah I'll expect him in that, but if it's a lone pick, I really don't think it's him.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I never said they would care, just pointing out "there will be a backlash".
Yes but because they don't care that's why it's not really worth bringing up because it doesn't affect the decision

Sure, but I also see it as people getting to see the other characters they might not have a clue about.
Regardless, the secrecy for the character that everyone likely knows exists just seems dumb as all hell. Possibly, but we really don't know.
That is true that it will expose them to the others but it's more than likely the idea was to use the attention from Smash and the free trial to get them hooked so they buy the game or if the new game speculation is true then it will be a launching point for getting people to buy the sequel.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah but they're gonna get so much flak and backlash, potentially to the point where people won't buy any of the DLC moving forward. You had Byleth who also followed a rather "eh" reveal of Terry. Two backlash characters after an eh character; idk, it just isn't a really good look.

I myself would be pretty pissed over that, even more pissed than Byleth. At least with Byleth, they didn't leave us hanging for 2.5 months on "who could the next Fire Emblem character be?!"; they ripped off the bandage right away, and now I'm DEFENDING BYLETH OF ALL THINGS TO THIS TOTALLY CRAPPY POSSIBILITY, THIS *SUCKS*.

Bottom line is, I really, really don't think it'll be lone Spring Man. If it's a Hero/Bowser Jr., yeah I'll expect him in that, but if it's a lone pick, I really don't think it's him.
Byleth got them about as much backlash as Corrin. Spring Man got tons of backlash for being AT'd, especially when multiple new IP's constantly were ignored for playable. It's the first new IP since Splatoon to get in. You're overstating how big of a deal it is. They're also not afraid of backlash anyway. Frankly, they wouldn't have even put Spring Man up as a possibility if it couldn't be him. So it's quite possible it is.

There's a pretty good chance it's an alt situation, and Spring Man is going to clearly be the face if so. The only ones close enough for 3 other alts are Ribbon Girl, Springtron, and Dr. Coyle too. This makes for a pretty good set up as is(I'm aware they have their differences, but they also play rather similarly enough for it to work). Being another Simon/Richter situation works out and gives multiple fans something.

Besides, as I noted, when you realize all 3 fanrules are killed? That eliminates a ton of backlash as is. It's actually a lot of people very happy with ARMS finally getting something.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yeah but that's not the point at all.

You just said the point they were saying though.

The "Story Mode" thing was because imagine having the one and only Mario game having Mario, Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi, alongside some others like multiple colors of toads, Toadette, Peach, Yoshi, etc. Mario and Luigi are the two mascots on the box, but there's no subtle story in the background guiding you towards seeing that Mario is *the* main character. Point is that in ARMS, every character is the "main" character when you play them. DLC characters less so since they weren't there at the beginning, at the peak of people playing (like I don't even know who the hell Dr. Coyle is but I played the game like crazy the first week it came out), but again, nothing in game is saying "Spring Man is THE lead character".

Now in my example of the Mario game, let's say Wario and Waluigi are by far the fan favorites, but Mario and Luigi are just the main two on the box. Again, there's no Mario's kiss at the end of the game from the princess, there's no *ANYTHING* that tells you "oh this character is the MAIN character"; that's the situation we're in right now. PS: The Mario game would also likely be called "Jumpman", but EVERY character jumps so you really wouldn't think twice about it besides Mario and Luigi being the first two characters on the CSS.

But that doesn't mean anything in this context. If it was Spring Man, why not just be like "oh it's Spring Man, he's being promoted"; why go through this whole mess of "TUNE IN JUNE TO FIND OUT!". Now instead of talking about FUTURE characters, we're mostly left talking about just this one character of "who could it be". For them to go through with this just to give us Spring Man would be lunacy.

If Spring Man is picked, I'd be willing to bet that he'll be a Hero/Bowser Jr. situation. If it's ONE character, Min Min honestly has the best chances here. As a bonus, they wouldn't even need to modify the Spring Man assist trophy.
Once again, I did not not say anything about a main character. Just a mascot. That said, first, I wasn't saying the point they were saying. Just that there weren't many other characters aside from Wii Fit Trainer. That is a different thing.

Second, don't bring Mario characters into this, for this is a whole different beast altogether. A whole other series.

Also, this whole Tune In To Find Out thing does not mean Spring Man won't be playable just because they didn't show him. There may be no story mode, but that does not mean every character is equally important. I still believe Spring Man, while not as popular as Min Min, is still someone who could be a mascot of ARMS even if he is not a main character, as Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth said. Don't try to twist things just to say he is not possibly a mascot, either.

Anyway, I am saying that knowing Nintendo, they probably won't go with Min Min, but another character. Maybe Spring Man, maybe not, but someone who they think is a good representative and not just popular.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
In regards to this guessing game Nintendo is doing with the ARMS character right now, one important factor to consider right now is that Spring Man is an Assist Trophy, and if you subscribe to the currently standing "Assist Trophies deconfirm" fan rule, then it doesn't matter how obvious of a choice he is because you're gonna assume he's off the table anyway. If the ARMS character is indeed Spring Man being promoted to playable status, they're probably banking on fans assuming that Spring Man is already deconfirmed and that it'll be someone else... only to hit 'em with "Guess again! Assist Trophies DON'T deconfirm!"

... not like it matters anyway. To bring it back around to Geno, as long as it's Spring Man or any of the other ARMS characters who are already Spirits in the game, their inclusion can only spell good things for Geno, as well as any other characters currently stuck in Assist Trophy/Spirit Hell like Waluigi and Isaac.

At least there's no Atari jokes in here.
Geno will be getting into Smash, specifically to tie-in with the upcoming Atari 2600 port of Super Mario RPG.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
If the ARMS character is indeed Spring Man being promoted to playable status, they're probably banking on fans assuming that Spring Man is already deconfirmed and that it'll be someone else... only to hit 'em with "Guess again! Assist Trophies DON'T deconfirm!"
"Assist Trophies don't deconfirm, but we're not promoting any other ones, lol." I can't wait for this to be what actually ends up happening.

Still though, this feels like it points to more than just Spring Man. I just do not see it being him alone. I'll gladly take the L if I end up being wrong (as usual); feel free to screenshot this and ping me, but I'm sticking to this: Either it's not lone Spring Man, it's a Hero/Bowser Jr. situation, or, while I don't think this is that likely, the small possibility of getting ~1-3 echoes thrown in this pack alongside Spring Man as the main (e.g., Spring Man is Simon to Min Min, Ribbon Girl, and Ninjara being Richter). With that, I'm done with the topic though and I can move on to more Geno-related things. Like... um... Yay Geno for Smash plz

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
This is the **** that happens when people here act ****ty over something as inoffensive as a first-party character from an unrepresented franchise getting in:

https://twitter.com/FreshCutFry/status/1243585160110538753?s=20

Once again we and the character we support are the low hanging fruit for people to bash on because a few people decided to be completely toxic which honestly sucks considering most people here were being sensible about it and saw it as a good thing.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Who the hell was calling it a dead franchise? I called it a practically dead game because Nintendo isn't updating it anymore, in the same way I'd absolutely say Super Mario Party is a dead game, but the IP is definitely not dead, assuming Nintendo wants to add more to it.

Some people just wanna be toxic idiots to be toxic idiots. Imagine wasting your time prowling in a Geno-related thread just to use something one person said as ammo against the character, like what? Why spend time on that?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Who the hell was calling it a dead franchise? I called it a practically dead game because Nintendo isn't updating it anymore, in the same way I'd absolutely say Super Mario Party is a dead game, but the IP is definitely not dead, assuming Nintendo wants to add more to it.

Some people just wanna be toxic idiots to be toxic idiots. Imagine wasting your time prowling in a Geno-related thread just to use something one person said as ammo against the character, like what? Why spend time on that?
Yeah, it pisses me off. It is one thing to not want Geno (or any other character for that matter), but comments like those... -_-

Sure, Geno might not get in (like I always say, expect the worst hope for the best) but respect that someone else might want said character(s)... The Smash fanbase I swear...

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
This is the **** that happens when people here act ****ty over something as inoffensive as a first-party character from an unrepresented franchise getting in:

Once again we and the character we support are the low hanging fruit for people to bash on because a few people decided to be completely toxic which honestly sucks considering most people here were being sensible about it and saw it as a good thing.
And this is why I don't bother going super deep in Smash speculation like a lot people in this thread do. I visit threads sometimes, read up on rumors, and make my own lists for who I want but that's the extent of what I usually do. The fact that this guy even has a Joker profile pic (by the way, if not for Byleth, Joker would've been my least favorite character in the first pass) almost makes me want to give this person a piece of my mind but it's not important or worth getting angry at.

But if I had to list two things that annoy me the most in general and often pop up in Smash discussion, it's hypocrisy and double standards.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I hope it's a hero type situation or just Min-Min alone. Because Min Min is by far the one with the most personality, imo. But there is essentially no way this can be bad for Geno

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
And this is why I don't bother going super deep in Smash speculation like a lot people in this thread do. I visit threads sometimes, read up on rumors, and make my own lists for who I want but that's the extent of what I usually do. The fact that this guy even has a Joker profile pic (by the way, if not for Byleth, Joker would've been my least favorite character in the first pass) almost makes me want to give this person a piece of my mind but it's not important or worth getting angry at.

But if I had to list two things that annoy me the most in general and often pop up in Smash discussion, it's hypocrisy and double standards.
"How dare this person **** on my fanbase!"

-Proceeds to **** on this person's fanbase

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
The fact that this guy even has a Joker profile pic (by the way, if not for Byleth, Joker would've been my least favorite character in the first pass) almost makes me want to give this person a piece of my mind but it's not important or worth getting angry at.
"This guy insulted my character, I should insult him because he likes this character!"
:4pacman:

D

Deleted member

I want this twitter user to show AT LEAST 1 tweet saying that ARMS is a dead franchise or game and it’s from a Geno fan. Otherwise, he did this to cheap shot us.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I want this twitter user to show AT LEAST 1 tweet saying that ARMS is a dead franchise or game and it’s from a Geno fan. Otherwise, he did this to cheap shot us.
He actually did pretty deep in the thread; I'm paraphrasing but someone said something like "WHY NOT GENO AND CRASH?!" or something to that effect. Not a tweet directly saying that ARMS is a dead franchise (it is a dead game if Nintendo doesn't do something to push it harder besides just a character), but yeah, one person saying "ARMS BAD, GENO (and Crash) GOOD".

Every group have their crapheads, but idk why they just *have* to go for the easy target, Geno.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You know, the best part of a characters reveal is that it finally shuts down haters with a huge side of salt. When Geno gets revealed, I’ll have a cup of fruit punch soda and popcorn with extra butter and SALT reading salty tweets, YouTube comments, ResetERA, GameFAQS, and SmashBoards posts. I won’t trash talk and start arguments, but I’ll be watching the anger of people getting BTFO and I will enjoy every last moment.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
You know, the best part of a characters reveal is that it finally shuts down haters with a huge side of salt. When Geno gets revealed, I’ll have a cup of fruit punch soda and popcorn with extra butter and SALT reading salty tweets, YouTube comments, ResetERA, GameFAQS, and SmashBoards posts. I won’t trash talk and start arguments, but I’ll be watching the anger of people getting BTFO and I will enjoy every last moment.
Yeah for sure. I'm not gonna post "HOES MAD HOES MAD" like some Byleth people did, but I definitely won't be upset over the massive salt that flows.

If E3 2020 gives me Geno and PM3, best E3 ever. I won't forget it for the rest of my life.
(yes, I'm well aware E3 2020 is cancelled, the joke is that the year E3 is cancelled is *the best* E3 year for me)

Last edited:

MarioTime

Smash Apprentice

Threads like this only make me the more powerful. I swear Geno's reveal is going to be the most satisfying to me.

"Don't mess with us Smash fans, we hate all of your favorite characters"

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace

I always find it funny when people act like Super Mario RPG is some obscure game. Like, it's a ******* Mario game, the most well known character in the world. Get the **** outta here with that.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I always find it funny when people act like Super Mario RPG is some obscure game. Like, it's a ******* Mario game, the most well known character in the world. Get the **** outta here with that.
Okay listen, Sakurai acknowledging his popularity amongst boomers older gamers back when his costume was added to Smash 4 doesn't mean anything. He's irrelevant, and will never get in Smash. Get ready for like 5 more shill characters, 'cos Sakurai hates us.
And ignore all of those other characters people have wanted in Smash that got in, those don't count.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sounds like most of us are in the same boat now. If any of 5 ARMS spirits are promoted, it's GG and the last major argument against Geno is finally dead. Also, I talked about it yesterday but I decided to look into it and, objectively speaking, yeah, ARMS has a huge firewall in place for the ARMS character to be a promotion:

https://smashboards.com/threads/new...r-smash-discussion.446429/page-33#post-238881

Min-Min is the most popular and edges out Ninjara by a little bit. From there, there's a gap where it's a 4 way tie for 3rd, a 3 way tie for 4th, Byte and Barq, and a 5 way tie for dead last. So, in regards to spirits:

Min-Min (1st)
Ninjara (2nd)
Twintelle (3rd)
Springman and Ribbongirl (tied for 4th)

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Ehm..., if you live in Europe and are not involved in the Smash Bros community, there is a big chance that you don¨t know about the game what so ever. I did not know about the game (I live in Sweden) until I randomly stumble upon it on the Virtual Console for the Wii. SMRPG never saw store shelves here in Europe. They only western release was the US. So I kinda get where people are coming from...

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I hate how biased the poll in that thread is because people aren't answering "who do you want", they're answering "who do you want but they will also affect future possibilities", which means everyone who wants Isaac, Shadow, or Waluigi are voting for Spring Man, not because they like him, but because he deconfirms the AT fanrule. I'm sure people who also don't care pick him since he just removes the most rules.

TBH though I am surprised to see how awful Ninjara is doing.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
I hate how biased the poll in that thread is because people aren't answering "who do you want", they're answering "who do you want but they will also affect future possibilities", which means everyone who wants Isaac, Shadow, or Waluigi are voting for Spring Man, not because they like him, but because he deconfirms the AT fanrule. I'm sure people who also don't care pick him since he just removes the most rules.

TBH though I am surprised to see how awful Ninjara is doing.
Or maybe they genuinely want Spring Man? I voted for him and Min Min because I’d love to see either of them.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
God , I'll admit that I really would have prefered if they straight up told us nothing and just revealed the ARMS character for E3.

Even when Sakurai reveal that "a character from a franchise within a 15 characters roster will be added to Smash" , some fans make theories that are so needlessly complicated about an ARMS 2 , a redesign of the main mascott of that sequel , a Bayonetta glitch , and so on.
Listen , I understand that we're all trying to find who is the character , and that we're exploring all the possibilities because well... It's Sakurai , this man could give us the damn Arms announcer guy instead of any of these 15 characters. So yeah , people want to be prepared for everything.

But I admit that right now , I'm seeing so many names and so many theories , and... No , I won't stick around here until June if ARMS discussion persist too much , because it's going to be a lot of back and forth over who could be added within that roster , when we'll get that answer in June. (Granted , I understand WHY people want to talk about it , because this character will mean a DANG LOT to us. It's just that personnaly , I can't keep up with everything)
knuckles gif 2.gif

However , it's weird that nobody joked about the fact that it could be Mallow , with how he can stretch his arms.

---

Anyhow , I'm finally in the factory in my SMRPG playthrough. Pretty much my favorite final zone from the Mario RPGS , tied to Peach Fawful's castle. I always loved the idea with that final area ; It's a huge contrast within all the colorful and mostly naturals areas from the rest of the game , and feel both very otherworld-ish , but also very cold and grounded. All theses bosses had pretty interesting personnalities (like damn , look at the Axem Rangers) so learning that they were just machines produced in mass quantity just show how cruel Smithy is compared to characters like Bowser.
Actually , as most SMRPG fans are aware , the final battle take place on top of a lot of Smithy reproductions. But... Honestly , this screamed "We're going to get a sequel with an even bigger threat". After all , the origins of Exor aren't revealed , and I could see an "higher autority" like the one Geno has be the cause of all of that.

Also , I Geno whirl'd Exor , was a pretty epic gamer moment.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I'll admit that I really would have prefered if they straight up told us nothing and just revealed the ARMS character for E3.
I also would have preferred no smash reveal over this, and hope they don't pull this crap again with the other 5 characters.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I also would have preferred no smash reveal over this, and hope they don't pull this crap again with the other 5 characters.
I personnaly admit that this didn't felt like a Smash reveal. I understand that we can't always get fancy CGI cutscenes , but I would have liked to at least have some gameplay , or even a 15 seconds animation of every ARMS character trying to grab the Smash invitation.
I understand that it was to push ARMS , and doing an E3 reveal would have make it overshadowed by another Smash reveal , so they prefered to do it now...

But if there's something I don't like in the gaming world , it's companies revealing stuff too early. At least they were honest by telling us "yeah we need 2 more months to fix some bugs" , instead of something like the mess Pikmin 4 is. Yeah, COVID-19 is messing up a lot of things but... But I dunno , usually , a Smash announcement still make some waves , be it positive or negative. This reveal felt rushed in the end , and made for more confusion than anything else to me.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I personnaly admit that this didn't felt like a Smash reveal. I understand that we can't always get fancy CGI cutscenes , but I would have liked to at least have some gameplay , or even a 15 seconds animation of every ARMS character trying to grab the Smash invitation.
I would have too, and I understand if they couldn't do one or are trying to keep it lower budget, but I just wanted a character. This felt like a total half-assed reveal.
Hopefully when "E3" rolls around, we'll get something for it though. This entire direct was abysmal and they really need to turn it all around in June or they're going to have an *awful* year that will likely continue for quite awhile, given their competitors are leaving them further behind. The last thing Nintendo needs to do is fold on the second half, and half-assed reveals and a lack of games isn't doing them any favors.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I would have too, and I understand if they couldn't do one or are trying to keep it lower budget, but I just wanted a character. This felt like a total half-assed reveal.
Hopefully when "E3" rolls around, we'll get something for it though. This entire direct was abysmal and they really need to turn it all around in June or they're going to have an *awful* year that will likely continue for quite awhile, given their competitors are leaving them further behind. The last thing Nintendo needs to do is fold on the second half, and half-assed reveals and a lack of games isn't doing them any favors.
Yeah... My best guess is that they're trying to make suspense by not saying who it is , and when this character will be revealed , we'll be like "damn , it was obvious from the beginning." or something like that. Still , felt more like a clifhanger than a reveal.

As to the lack of games , I can relate. The games I look the most forward to this year (W101 remaster and Shantae) weren't even announced in the direct.
The biggest thing for this direct to me , was the Mr.Driller game , because it strongly hint towards another franchise I love finally coming back.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
Riiight, I’m sure everyone would’ve been just fine if they had said nothing about Smash lol

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
“The ARMS reveal is over and we’re left on a shot of the stars. We hear “GENO AWAKENS” slowly fade in as a star drops to earth. We see the star fly through many different locations from Mario RPG, until it eventually finds the Geno doll. The doll gets up slowly as we see a glimmering Smash ball in his eyes...”

DA3E7842-DB2B-4B35-B20D-46B9B23CE523.jpeg

Cheers to my post #200

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom